The Demigod's Chamber | Teen Ink

The Demigod's Chamber

January 16, 2024
By Anonymous

Author's note:

Mazes are very common in sci-fi, it was the first idea that popped up, and when writing it, ideas just kept flowing out.

I woke up one morning and found that you weren't in your bed; I wasn’t even in my room. I’m in the middle of a giant maze. A sign is hanging from the ivy: “Never stop moving, don't touch the walls.” That's how it started, and I'm going to tell you the story about The Demigods Chamber.

“Where am I,” my groggy voice echoed, being lost forever in a labyrinth. Waking up confused and disoriented is never a good thing, especially when you're surrounded by giant green walls of ivy. The other thing that's concerning is the sign, it was the second thing I saw, other than the green obviously. Why did I have to keep moving, or what about the walls, what made them dangerous to touch. Well whatever it was I didn't want to find out, and I also didn't want to move, I was too scared of what would happen. There was no way to tell where you were going, the walls being maybe double my height, it made me feel like i was a kid. I decided to swivel my head around to each passageway, that's when I noticed it seemed like I was in a pentagon shape, with 5 different paths leading outwards. You couldn't see much from each pathway, they all turned not even 5 steps into them. I didn't know how much time I had, or where I was going, but it felt like I was in danger, and that's when I knew I had to get moving.

I got up and started towards one of the paths. I didnt know which way was going to lead me somewhere but I chose one at random. I made sure to walk and not run, even though I felt like I was in danger, I didn't want to risk touching the walls. I don't know what was behind the walls, but I had a gut feeling that I didn't want to touch them and find out. The ivy was so thick that you couldn't see past it, it also gave off this sweet scent that reminded me of my moms baking. It was almost like it knew what I was thinking, or knew what smell I wanted at that moment, because the next thing I knew, the sweet scent intensified, tantalizingly delicious, like a beckoning call to touch the green. Run. That same voice kept coming back like a haunting ghost, but I kept trusting it. It was almost like an instinct, sprinting around the maze like it was something I did every day. There was no sound behind me anymore so I decided to take a breather, as I knelt down the ground I felt my hand hit an object. Fear jolted through me as I assumed I touched the ivy, but to my surprise the item was cold and smooth. I looked down to my hand and spread the grass away so I could see the item. It was a key. A gold key, it looked unlike anything I had seen before, with jagged edges on all sides of it. I slowly lifted it to my eyes, turning it in every direction, inspecting it deeper and deeper with each rotation. Keep It. I tried to stuff it into my pocket but it got caught on the hem. Pulling it out I used my other hand to open my pocket even more, jamming the key into it making sure it doesn't get caught. Having it pressed up against my leg restricts my movements a little, making it harder to run. So instead I decide that I'm going to keep up a steady walk and keep my distance from the beast behind me. I take lefts and rights, turning aimlessly as the maze goes on, as it starts getting darker. My body aches all over, getting more sluggish as I take each turn. It gets to the point where each movement is like lifting a boulder. I try to take one more step but my knees buckle under the pressure, and I faceplant into the ground. I don't even attempt to get up, but rather lay on the ground and shut my eyes. The fatigue that I've felt finally has taken over as the gentle grasp of sleep pulls me deep into a dream.

My eyes opened, corn surrounding me just like the labyrinth had. For some reason this place felt familiar, and I remembered that day. The air was chilly in the fall, and everything felt so quiet, corn stretched everywhere, sometimes as a wall, sometimes narrow passages. It was the corn maze I was lost in as a child. But now, the corn towered over me like it had all those years ago, and the course dirt was strange under my bare feet, different to when I wore my boots as a kid. I started forward, just as aimlessly as I had at the start of the day, when the corn rustled, and a scarecrow wheeled around a corner behind me, I turned around and saw it in the distance. It stood on four knobby wooden limbs, its arms pointed outwards at straight 90 degree angles, a worn hat sat atop the stringy hair, button eyes and a stitched smile were the only expressive features of the cloth head. It screeched and began galloping towards me. I ran as fast as I could under the heavy gray sky. I ran, but I went nowhere, I kept going. But the scarecrow only came closer and closer until the maze faded to darkness.

My eyes feel heavy and swollen, my head is pounding, veins feel like they’re popping out of my head. My body feels weak all over, every time I move my body it tingles, almost like needles are poking me. I drag my hands up to my head, pushing my head into them covering my face. I feel tears start to burst out of my eyes, but that feeling is short lived. There's a soft voice, smoothe like chicken noodle soup when you're sick. I slowly lift my head upwards away from hands, looking straight ahead to see this angelic person. Instead my eyes are met with the horror of a demon, horns protruding from its head, red staining its arms and legs with armor covering up parts of its chest and legs. My face turned to a sour look, and the demon must have noticed that, but I couldn't get up. It was like my body was being controlled by it, like I was under some type of spell. I stared, my body trembling like I had just jumped into an ice bath. The demon slowly made its way towards me, walking slowly but softly, like if you were sneaking around the house. Regardless of what the demon was doing, my heart was still beating out of my chest. But to my surprise the demon abruptly stopped, almost like it had hit a wall. The demon stopped only one step away from my lifeless body, although he didn't attack me.

“There’s no need to fear little one,” The demon spoke, its voice the same as I had heard before, the sweet angelic voice, the softness caressing my bones and aches. “I can heal you little one.” My mouth opens, as I try stammering out some words, but my throat closes up and blocks any sound that is coming out. My heart is still pounding, as I try to look for anything, any sort of weapon or object that can help me. But there is nothing. I want to scream, and I want to run, but no movement is made, no sign of me struggling. So I give in, this is it, this is how i'm going to die. I didn't feel any pain yet, but I didn't want to lift my head up, I had already decided that this would be the end of me no matter what. But instead I felt warm inside, it was like I had just drank a hot cup of hot chocolate. I didn't know what was happening, but the soreness in my body was going away, it was like the demon was performing some type of healing magic. I couldn't help but leak out a few tears, I guess the demon was really there to help. I raise my head to look at the demon, who has taken a knee to my level. Even though I had seen the demon just a second ago, I never got a good look at it, only the main features of the demon. But when looking into the eyes of the demon, I noticed that its facial expression was soft. It was comforting to look at, regardless of the body of the demon. 

“Do you feel better,” the sweetness of the demon's voice is almost putting me to sleep now. I really wanted to tell the demon I was ok, and that they helped, but I still couldn't release a sound from my mouth. So I just nodded my head instead. The demon reached its hand out, trying to help me stand up, noticing the scars and cuts down the arm of the demon. Feeling better I decided to grab the demon's hand, unsurprisingly it was rough, but yet it still had the warmth I had felt when the demon had healed me. The demon lifted me up like I weighed nothing, and yet he only used the strength of one hand. I knew that if there was one thing I didn't want to fight it would be this demon right here. 

“You know i've been following you for quite some time now,” the demon spoke as he brushed off his hand on his leg.

“What??!” I blurted out without thinking.

“No need to worry, I've only been following you for a few hours,” The demon said casually, apparently the demon thought that this was a normal thing to do.

“Why??!” I blurted out just as loudly as the first time.

“Let me put you in my shoes. A random human appears in the demigods chamber, trampling through it like it's their own living quarters.”The demon pausing and starting to hum nervously, “I wasn't sure what else to do other than observe and watch you. I didn’t want to intervene lest get in an altercation with the beast.” 

“I thought you were the beast??!” Still blurting out and interrupting the demon's story. 

“You thought I was the beast? How rude, I'm the one who made it.” the demon spoke like I was supposed to know that, “I lost control over it many millennia ago, and no one has been able to control it since. It kills and devours anyone in its path.” 

“How am I even still alive?” The thought of me surviving this long was blasphemous. 

“Well you haven’t touched the ivy yet, like my sign said.” The demon said, making a snarky remark, acting like he was the reason I was still alive.

“Wait, hold on a second, you made the wyrm??!” It took me some time to process the information I heard but I understood what he had said, “It's been chasing and terrorizing me ever since I got here!That sentence might have just saved my life, since after I said that, the demon’s eyes widened like he had just seen a ghost.

“We have to run,” the demon said, turning on his horse and forgetting about me.

“What do you mean we have to run?” But just then, I realized what he meant, as I heard the rustling and crunching of grass and ivy. It was clear that the beast was behind me, and for the first time I got a glimpse of the beast. It was a gigantic wyrm. It had giant spikes down its scaly back, with the dragon scales being as big as your hand. Its long sharp fangs glaring at me, but what irked me the most was the large scar over its left eye. It looked like a long slash from a sword, only having one dark green eye only made it more intimidating. I felt a shiver run down my spine, as I finally got my consciousness back. 

I started to back pedal, moving my feet faster than I ever have before, almost like I was about to run out of my shoes. I get far enough down the straightaway that I feel comfortable enough to turn around. I spin around almost tripping myself and falling into the ivy, but I catch myself with my hand on the ground. I push myself up off the ground and start sprinting, gaining some speed. I realize that I'm coming to a fork in the path. Go left. I heard a hissing in my ear, it was that same voice I had listened to so much, so I should just trust it again. I didn't take any time to second guess the voice, so when I got up to the fork, I took a left, bolting down it as fast as I possibly could. I run for so long that my legs start to give out again just like last time, almost face planting in the ground, but I catch myself. Picking up more and more speed I realize that there's another wall of vines in front of me, trying to listen for another hiss in my ear. I don’t hear anything other than the crunch and movement of ivy from the wyrm behind me. I start to panic, and my hands start to get sweaty, I feel a drop of sweat drip off of my forehead. I don't know which way to pick, and there's no way to determine where they lead. So I go off of my instinct, taking a sharp left again, running down a straightaway. 

My streak of luck was amazing, as the path that I was going down opened up into a straightaway. I kept running and made it past the walls that were surrounding me, but then I realized that I had messed up. The walls of ivy still surrounded me, but instead of being in paths, I was in a giant open circle. I kept running even though there was nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. I made it to the peripheral of the circle on the opposite side where I came through. I had nowhere else to go and couldn't climb up the wall as the ivy was staring me down. I turned around just in time to see the wyrm slither lazily out from the passageway, like a big cat stalking trapped prey. Only now did I really see how big the wyrm was. It looked to be 50 feet long and the head and body were the thickness of industrial sewer pipes. As it entered, you could see the glint in the solitary eye. It promised its victory, and I held similar sentiments. This was the end, and I couldn’t do anything. No human could overpower such a thing. I watched helplessly shaking as it slithered ever so slowly that time seemed to freeze when it wished, to hold the tension, to savor the moment of my death. I wish I had run the opposite way, I wished I had taken a different turn, a different path. I prayed and prayed that some magical being would descend from the heavens and save me but I knew that my luck had run out. Regardless of the fear I felt , I started down the wyrm as it made its final move towards me. Maybe if the demon had showed up there would have been a chance, but the coils of the wyrm slammed into my side, knocking me over, coiling around me the wyrm dragged me in a direction, my head lolled to the side and opening my eyes despite the concussion already forming I saw I was not headed towards the wyrm, but rather the ivy on the edges of this circular clearing. I guess as my last pleasure I would be released of the temptation of finding out what the ivy does. As I took my final breath the wyrm set me next to the ivy gingerly, as if it were terrified of the prospect of touching it as well. I glanced at the wyrm trying to plead for my life, but all I saw was the cold spine chilling stare. Touch it. The same voice as before hissed in my head. The coils were slowly pushing me forward, closer to the sweet-smelling green. I planted my feet into the ground trying to hold myself from being pushed backwards, but the power I felt from the wyrm was unmatched. My feet slid as I tried to regain grip, but my attempts failed. I stumbled backwards onto the ground, slowly crawling backwards with my hands and feet. The wyrm slithery body followed my movements, closing the gap between me and the wall. I could feel my eyes starting to well up, as I pushed myself back up onto my feet. There was no more time left, and with one final shove, i had to push my hands out in front of me to stop my body from hitting the ivy. Putting them first may have only just entertained my will to live, because such an act did nothing in hindsight. My hands started to burn, bubbling up like I had reached my hand in a vat of acid. I pulled my hands off the ivy, a pain filling them too powerful to allow a scream. I looked down only to see the melting flesh dripping down onto the grass. The pain overwhelmed my entire body, to the point where I hardly noticed the wyrm still nudging me forward.I knew that i had enough. I braced myself for impact as I leaped forward onto the ivy, holding my eyes shut as tears flowed down my face. The pain was unbearable, but short lived. Now there was only nothing, no wyrm, no ivy, no burning, no grass; and I became another casualty claimed by the demigods chamber.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.