The Assassin | Teen Ink

The Assassin

By KayClemmer09, Odessa, Florida
KayClemmer09, Odessa, Florida

Author's note:

This piece was originally a Creative Writing project, but I decided to publish it here to recieve more feedback on my writing.

I sashayed through the night, the starless darkness consuming my slender form. I could feel the cold stone beneath my special made rubber shoes, I could hear the quiet talking of the incompetent guards behind me, but nothing deterred me. I was on a job. And, if I lost my focus for just one second, I could fail. Not that I ever had before. And not that I ever planned to. The small mansion’s grounds’ were gorgeous, prettier than the numerous large mansion’s grounds’ I had been to. The home towering before me was quiet and peaceful, a soft light coming through the various windows scattered around the house. Too bad that this peace, this utter silence, would have to be broken by the scream of my job. I knew exactly where to go, and as I scaled up the brick wall, I silently pulled my knife out from my back pocket. I also pulled out the note I had left time and time again after the victim was found dead. The window that led into her bedroom was large and beautiful, without a speck of dirt or grime in sight. Even more beautiful, for me anyways, was the large balcony that connected to the room. I pulled myself up and over the balcony railing, keeping my breathing practiced and quiet. Flowerpots and a small lounge chair blocked my path to the bedroom door, but with my long legs I easily slunk between them. I reached out the door and pulled on it a little. The heavy wood door didn’t barge, rather it seemed to stare down at me with judging and resentful wooden eyes. I smirked and pulled out my knife. With a few deft movements of my knife, the door swung open before me.

“Who… who’s there?!” A voice yelled from inside. I slunk into the room, careful to keep in the shadows of the tall walls. No need to reveal my identity quite yet.

In a quiet yet seductive voice I said, “Who do you think?”

“They… they told me you would come!” The person stuttered.

I cocked my head, “Then why are you surprised?”

Instead of responding, the person, who’s outline I could just make out in the darkness, collapsed to her knees. “Please… please spare me! I’ll give you anything you want… riches, this house, my servants… anything! Just.. just spare me.”

“Do you not think I have been offered that before?” I gave a quiet laugh and stepped into the light. The woman gasped as I came close, my fiery red hair outlined by the moonlight. “I don't want anything you can give me.”

The woman screamed, but I placed my foot onto her throat. After a moment, she went still, unconscious. I sliced my knife in a semi-deep line across my hand, allowing for blood to flow freely down my wrist. I pressed my hand to her mouth lightly, not cutting off her air but merely allowing my blood to flow freely down her throat. After a moment, her eyes flashed open and she screamed and twitched. I stepped back and looked away from her face, a smug smile dancing on my lips.

The woman thrashed on the floor, “You monster!”

I dropped the note by her body, careful to not let it touch her, “No, monsters aren’t real.” I paused for inflection. “I’m your worst nightmare come to life.”

The woman continued thrashing and screaming for help as I climbed out onto her porch. Before the guards even got to her, I was down the wall and inside the nearby forest, congratulating myself on another successful job. As I made my way back home, I thought about what the news would be tomorrow, when all that remained of the crime was a pile of ash and a note.

Upon my arrival at the royal palace, I was swept up into the arms of the guards there and hauled into a carriage. I rode to the palace despite the fact that I could have walked faster.And yet, when the only home I had known since I was six years old came into view, I felt rather important riding in a carriage. Of course, I didn’t live in the estate. I had my own… apartment which sat near the house. This estate was the abode of my master, the king, and the man who had legally owned me since my father sold me off. I had been inside many times before, but I was not a guest. He made that clear. I was a servant, only there for the purpose of executing his will. Inside of that twisted and dangerous will, I fit as an assassin.

The guards marched me inside the house and through the many grand halls without speaking a word. These guards were the picture of calm, their faces still and statuesque. I, on the other hand, was jittery and full of pent up energy. Despite my long night of work and the full half-day of riding, I was ready to run a mile. I always felt this way when I used my powers, it was as vital to me as drinking and eating. I couldn’t survive without using my powers just as a vampire could not survive without drinking blood. No matter how much he does or does not enjoy drinking blood, the vampire must do it to survive. The same was true of me. 

We entered the formal throne room which housed three occupants. The chairs of these three occupants were arranged to face the people entering the room. They were all positioned on different levels, the one in the middle being the tallest, the one to the right a medium height, and the one to the left the shortest.

Sitting in the ornately carved pink quartz chair to the left was my master's daughter, Asteria. She was named after the goddess of stars, since her parents looked at her as their little star. She wouldn’t meet my gaze as I walked into the room, allowing her dark hair to conceal her face. I was not offended by this action, she could never look at me after I had been out on a job. Sometimes I couldn’t even look at myself.

On the chair to the right was her mother. Kira was a tall and beautiful woman, with jet black hair and sharp, imposing features. Her piercing amber eyes, contrasting with her daughter's chocolaty brown eyes, glared down at me, seemingly judging and criticizing my every move. Her off the shoulder gold dress contrasted beautifully with her olive skin, making her look even more gorgeous than usual. 

Finally, sitting in the center of the room like the sun with planets orbiting around him, was Cadmael, though I knew him better as my master. Everyone else knew him as the king. The richest and most powerful man alive. He was an aging man, nowhere near as attractive as his wife yet somehow able to make everyone around him drawn to him. He had once had light hair, but now it was a mop of silver carefully groomed around his face. His formal attire and all business expressions made him seem as if he were a force to be reckoned with. And he was. 

Having walked into this room many times before, I knew exactly what to do. I kneeled to the ground, only wincing a little when I hit my hand on my knee. “King Cadmael.” I addressed him softly.

I could practically see the king’s expression as he said, “Tempest, dearest, what news do you have for me?”

Taking that as an invitation to rise from the ground I stood up to meet his eyes. Their cloudy blue looked me up and down, pausing for a moment when they reached my blood-stained shoes. “It is done.”

He nodded gravely and then glanced at me, “Do you have need for medical attention?”

“No.”

“Can I see your hand?”

I held it up obediently, showing the long shallow cut that ran along it. Both of my hands and lower arms were scarred with such cuts, each a reminder of the horrors I had done. He nodded and turned to some women standing to the right of his wife, “See to her.”

I held out my hand for them as they cleaned it and wrapped it in cloth. I wanted to roll my eyes as they fussed over my hand, it was not as if he actually cared about what happened to me. He only cared if his special little toy was broken. Once they were done, I raised my eyes to meet his again, “Do you have any more need for my services?”

The king shook his head, “Not as of now. You may proceed to your quarters.”

I nodded and exited the room quietly, before breaking off into a run once I reached the hallway. I hated this house. I hated the formal conversations I had to have in there, the resistance I had to have in order to not spread my blood all over his face as if it was paint. I hated the glimmer, the sparkle. I hated that none of it was mine.

When I reached the shabby shack that I called home, I nearly collapsed with relief. As I walked through the door, panting, I took in the sad yet homey surroundings. The house was small, a couple hundred square feet at most, and merely contained an old bed, a small kitchen, and a single shabby loveseat couch which surrounded a small mantel. Connected through a thin wooden door was a small bathroom. The wood floors creaked and groaned under my feet and the clouded windows allowed me to see only blurry outlines of outside. But, it was home. I resisted the urge to collapse onto the bed and go to sleep, instead forcing myself to take a shower and change clothes. As I scrubbed my hair out in the shower, I tried to erase the images of the woman screaming from my mind, tried to unhear the words she had shouted. But they kept echoing in my ears…

You monster!

You monster!

YOU MONSTER!

I didn’t want to be a monster. And, deep down, I didn’t want to hurt anybody. But, I was incredibly selfish. And, it was either their lives, or mine. 

Although, once I had dried my hair, everything seemed better. I felt whole again, all of my sins washed away with the filth on my skin. For a couple of hours, I just enjoyed the silence of my humble abode. I set a kettle on the stove and made myself tea, doing absolutely nothing productive in the meantime. Several hours after I had arrived at my shack, I heard a soft rapping on the window. Rather than jump like most people would, I contained the sudden adrenaline spike to a small point in my body, my fingers. As I stood up and walked to the creaky door, I allowed my fingers to twitch, wincing once as my injured hand moved abruptly. Just before I reached the door, the rapping sound made another appearance. I allowed the door to swing open silently, crouching in the shadows beside the door, completely concealed by darkness. The person stepped into the room, looking frightened. Her dark, straight hair blew in the small breeze that came from outside. She was dressed like a princess in a white dress dotted with delicate blue flowers. The dress was tight around her torso but billowed out on the sleeves and below the waist before ending abruptly three inches above her knee. The neckline was a sharp v-neck, adorned with a gold necklace. Her exotic face was similar to her mothers with sharp cheekbones and chocolaty brown, beautiful eyes. Her eyebrows were perfectly carved, her makeup perfectly styled, her cheeks the perfect color of pink. In short she was everything I was not. She was beautiful.

I smirked as she uncertainly spoke, “Temp?”

I jumped up suddenly, acting like an immature five year old rather than a trained professional assassin, “Boo!”

“Aargh!” She fell backwards, crashing into the wall opposite me. She landed on her butt, her cheeks flushed and her eyes humorous.

I bent over, cackling at her graceful fall and the small sound that had escaped her lips. “You… fall… for… that… every… time!” I spit out from in between laughs.

She glared up at me and smacked my foot. I finally reached a hand down to help her stand up. She rolled her eyes and glared at me, “Tempest, shall we not act like children?”

I snickered at her bad impression of a formal attitude, “Of course we shall!”

She laughed when I called her her full name, hooking her arm around mine, “Well then, come on! The horses are waiting!”

We made it about three steps before we broke apart. Waiting outside in the fading afternoon light stood two horses. Asteria horse was a humble mare, young but extremely tame. Her tail flicked absentmindedly as Asteria mounted her. The horse, accurately named Mellow Yellow for her beige color and calm demeanor, didn’t move as Asteria cooed to her. My horse, however, was the complete opposite of Mellow Yellow. He was a big, gray-blue stallion with white specks flicked all over him like paint. Beneath his skin were visible, carved muscles and his face watched mine intently. Storm Slayer. A killer like me.

I mounted Storm Slayer and reached for the reins. I turned to Asteria and Mellow Yellow, wiggling my eyebrows, “Wanna race?”

She shook her head, “You always win.”

“Maybe I won’t this time.”

“You say that every time.”

“Well I’ll go easy on you and old Yellow.”

“And that.”

I rolled my eyes and feigned disappointment, “You’re no fun.”

She sighed, “Maybe just one little race.”

I smiled and patted Storm Slayer. His head inclined towards me slightly. I leaned down over his salt and pepper mane and whispered, “Give it all you got, Slayer.”

Then, I spurred his side.

Within milliseconds we were off like a bullet from a gun. I crouched lower over Slayer and gave a slight whoop of happiness. The open air smelled great. As we whizzed past trees and animals, I could forget everything else and focus on the rush of wind in my hair. The steady pounding of hooves below me. The tensing of Slayers muscles beneath me. I barely had to direct Slayer. He knew exactly where we were going. After a moment, we hit the stream. No matter how much he resented me for it, I made Slayer slow down as we neared the river bed. We walked at what seemed like a snail's pace for a few minutes until we finally heard a set of hooves behind us. Both Yellow and Asteria were panting, their brows slicked with sweat, and their chests heaving. They walked beside us as we searched for a calm part of the river to cross.

“You don’t always have to run so… fast!” Asteria proclaimed in between breaths.

“I know. But it is amusing to see you so discombobulated.”

She gave a sarcastic eye roll and angled Mellow to cross the river. The horse audibly sighed as it got its hot body into the cool, rushing waters. Yellow dipped her head immediately for a drink of the crystal-clear mountain water, and Asteria bent down to do the same. Slayer, however, trudged through the water sullenly, wanting to run again and knowing that, just after the river, there was a field where he could do so. But, just before we reached the end of the river, I stopped him so that he could reach his long neck down to get a drink.

A few moments later, he lifted his head again and trotted out of the river, his head bobbing and his muscles tense below me, itching to run. I waited until Asteria and Mellow trotted beside me before barely nudging Slayer’s side. I gave Asteria an arrogant smirk and shot off again, heading uphill. Within minutes, we reached our destination almost a mile north. We stopped at the top of a tall cliff. The bright rays of the fading sun outlined the green, lush forest below us. Just a little further along was a wide, beautiful plain that lead to the seaside. Even from this far away, I could make out the huge waves of the seashore. The sun was close to the water, peaking out over the trees and brush. I dismounted and allowed Slayer to graze, sitting on the edge of the cliff, just a hairsbreath away from sure death. I sighed. 

Just a few moments later, hooves came pounding in from behind me. I herd a choked wheezing sound as Asteria dismounted Mellow and let her graze. She patted the old-spirited animal and her hand came away slick with sweat. Then, she came to sit by me. We sat in silence for a moment, just gazing out at the beauty beyond. 

Asteria was the first to break the silence, lightly grabbing and unwrapping my injured hand, “He needs to stop making you cut yourself. You’re going to lose the use of your hands.”

I laughed stiffly, shying away from the subject, “Well, it’s part of my job description.”

She meaningfully looked into my eyes, “It doesn’t have to be. We could run away.”

I shook my head and gave another fake chuckle, “You know we can’t.”

“But-”

“I won't do that to you.” I shook my head. “You know I would not be the only one punished.” I paused, then added, “You remember last time don't you?”

She winced and dropped my hand. I immediately regretted bringing it up, but didn’t shy away. Of course she remembered the last time. She saw the long scars along my back whenever I bent over. She remembered being forced to watch as they whipped and beat me half to death. She remembered the months of recovery, the jobs I was forced to go on even though they almost killed me. Yes, Asteria remembered. She would never forget.

“Who was it this time?” She whispered. I could tell in her voice that she didn’t really want to hear the answer.

“A woman.”

“Why?”

“You think he tells me?”

“He doesn’t?”

I scoffed, “Do you even know your own father?”

She winced again and remorse flooded my heart. “No. You know that better than anyone.”

I scooted closer to her and took her hand. “Sorry, Asteria.”

She flashed a small, fake smile that made me wince. “Come on, lets go. It’s getting dark.”

I groaned as we mounted our horses. The ride back was quieter but slower because of the low amount of light. When we arrived at my shack it was completely dark. I dismounted Slayer and walked him over to my small barn. In my absence, the servants had given him fresh hay and water and also left out several buckets for me to cool him down with. I rinsed him off quickly with Asteria nearly mirroring my actions, filling me in on where she was planning to stay for the night. My house. After Slayer was settled in his stall, I put some hay in the only other stall in the barn and filled the trough up with water. Mellow set to drinking almost as soon as she was in the stall. As I was about to turn away, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

I turned to see Asteria looking at me, one hand in a water bucket, “This is for wearing out Mellow.”

She splashed water on me and I cried out in outrage. Within a few minutes, we were out of water and both completely soaked, slush-sloshing back into the house. I began to feel bad for ruining her beautiful dress but then reminded my self that she probably had fifty more in stock. She borrowed some of my clothes, a white t-shirt and jeans, then plopped down on my couch, brushing her damp hair out of her face.

Before I could sit down next to her, she was asleep, snoring like an ogre rather than a princess. I flopped down into bed myself. I yawned and fell asleep to the rhythmic sounds of her freight-train snoring.

Darkness. That was all I knew.

And then blood. 

I screamed as they lashed me again and again, tears flowing out of my eyes. I could hear Asteria shouting something behind me, but I didn’t care. She couldn’t stop him. Why did she even try? Why did I even try? Why didn’t I just give up? I crumpled to the ground, all of the strength sapped out of my skin as the darkness closed in around my vision…

I was standing in a dark room. Something moaned in the darkness. I could just make out the screams of a woman…

“YOU MONSTER.”

Bodies, all writhing in pain came into view. They all screamed my name. Young, old, men, women. Sons, daughters, mothers, fathers. All screaming at me.

I dropped to my knees, tears streaming down my face. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry!”

Then, it was as if I took on all of their pain at once. An overwhelming red wave overtook my vision and I cried out in agony as I felt the irony taste of blood in my mouth. It burned like a fire inside of me. I thrashed and screamed… begging someone to kill me…

“Wake up!” A voice interrupted the screaming.

The pain faded away as I opened my eyes to find Asteria standing above me, her concerned eyes looking into mine.

I sighed and leaned back, “I did it again didn’t I?”

“Yes.”

I leaned back and gulped. My throat was raw and my body ached from thrashing. I must have been out for a while. But, rather than address my own pains, I met Asteria’s eyes. “Are you ok? I know this… scares you.”

She nodded, her eyes shimmering. “You really should worry more about yourself right now. It doesn't really matter what I’m thinking.”

“What are you thinking?”

“I- I don’t know. I hate it.” She paused and curled her hands into fists. “I hate that he’s doing this to you. Making you into some kind of monster you aren’t.”

I just laughed. “I am a monster. You need to know that too. I’m not safe. I’m not normal. I’m horrible. I’m an assassin.”

She nodded, biting back tears. “But you could be so much more.”

I grunted and closed my eyes, “Lulaby?”

She nodded stiffly and then hummed a sweet, calming song. I was pulled under into an endless sea of darkness…

I woke to the sound of pounding on my door and light streaming through my window. I blinked off sleep quickly and stumbled over to the door, my hair a wild mess. 

“I’m coming… I’m coming… I’m…” Asteria yelled sleepily from her couch.

I opened the door to see a bunch of her fathers guards, clad in protective armor, standing at attention.

The lead one looked past me rather than at me, “The king requests your presence immediately.”

I rolled my eyes. They always said the same exact thing when I had a job to do. It didn’t usually happpen so quickly though. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll be out in a few.”

I turned to go, shoving the door closed behind me. But, before it could click into place, the guard's foot caught in it. He met my eyes for the first time in… well ever. “This is important, assassin.” He spat my title like a dirty word. “I suggest you quicken your stride.”

He then removed his foot and walked away, the rest of his squadron following soundlessly behind him. I stood in shock for a moment, then rushed about the house. I combed my wild hair and tamed it as much as I could. It still stuck out at odd angles and curled up in uneven ringlets, but I did my best. I threw on my uniform, a tight white shirt with billowing sleeves, a black corset, and fitting black tights. I tossed on my table black boots and then shook Asteria awake.

She groaned, “Go away. I’m sleeping.”

“Ok, well I’m leaving.”

Her eyes shot open. “What? Where are you going?”

“Your father summoned me.”

She stood up wearily, “Ok, ok. Give me five minutes.”

Sure enough, she came out after five minutes in one of the many dresse she had stored here, looking perfect. The dress was light pink and tight around the torso, made out of a sweater like material and outlining her arms with fitted sleeves. Underneath she had a pair of long, white tights. On her hands there were gloves and on her head there was a pretty, furry white hat. I hadn’t noticed until now that it was freezing outside. I groaned. I hated winter. 

She had pulled her perfect black hair into two matching Dutch braids which she now flicked behind her shoulder. With a single nod, I marched to the door with her on my heels. While she was getting ready, I had tacked up Slayer. it only took her a moment to tack up Mellow and then we were off. Slayers muscles pounded powerfully below me, filled with a new energy. Immediately after we arrived, servants took Slayer and Mellow into the royal barn, which is where Mellow usually resided. 

I could feel Asteria getting tenser and tenser as we walked down the beautiful halls. No doubt she was thinking about last night, about my screaming. It wasn’t the first time she had heard it, but it was probably the loudest time. It was the most terrifying dream, after all. When we finally reached the two giant gold-plated doors that led to the throne room, I spun around and grabbed Asteria’s wrist. 

I waited until she met my eyes, and then whispered so that only she could hear, “No matter what he says, don’t say a word. Don’t interject, dont interrupt, dont stand up for me. It will just get us both in trouble.” I paused, and then added, “Promise me.”

Asteria paused for a moment. Then, she dropped my gaze, “I can’t promise that.”

Before I could argue with her, a guard grabbed my arm and roughly shoved me aside. As I walked inside, alone they escorted Asteria up to her throne. As she was walking, I begged her silently with my eyes to not do anything stupid. She didn’t meet my gaze. I sighed and dropped to my knees, deciding to begin with the formalities before the door closed. 

“King,” I muttered. “You summoned me?”

He nodded as I stood, “Yes, I have a job for you.” He paused.

“Where at?” I prompted. 

“Let me give you a bit of, ah, history.” I flinched, as did Asteria. He never told me anything about my jobs beside the location and what my mission was. “Possibly the only person in the world who rivaled me and my wealth was my brother. Adopted, of course. Not eligible for the throne. Him and I were never, er, close per say. But we did compete with each other. And he won. He had more friends growing up. He was more loved by the people. He had more love given to him by my parents. A prettier wife.” His wife, who was sitting right next to him, flinched slightly. “The only competition he did not win in was… children.” Asteria looked at the ground. “He had only one son, and I only one daughter. We were tied. And now, that has come back to haunt him. My brother fell ill. He died a week ago. His wife died several years ago from a high fever. The palace, the castle, everything is left to their son, Kenric. He is… just a boy. Currently he has an adviser, one who I believe is running everything, but still, he does not know what to do with the fortune. But I do. And I am next in line for the fortune. That is where you come in. I want you to break into Castelle Incassable-”

Asteria gasped in realization and even I flinched as he said the castle's name. That particular fortress was known to everyone as an unbreakable palace, fit with the best of the best security, the best of the best everything. It was impossible to break into. For everyone, except maybe me.

“-and,” the king continued. “I want you to kill Kenric.”

Asteria shot up to her feet and shot an appalled glare at her father. “What are you thinking!?” I groaned. “You’re going to assassinate your nephew? You’re going to get Tempest killed!”

King Cadmael looked at her, regarding her as if she were a misbehaving puppy. “No. She’ll be fine. She always is.”

“How do you know?!” Asteria cried, outraged.

“Trust me.”

“No! Her life is more valuable than-”

The king finally turned to face his daughter, “No. It is not. She may be you… friend but she is still a servant of the king. A peasant. But still, I’m sorry you have so little faith in her.”

“I don’t, I just-”

“Well, ask her.”

“Ask her what?” 

The master smirked. “Ask her what her choice is. She knows the options.”

At the flick of the king’s wrist, a squadron of guards surrounded me, weapons raised. One walked calmly forward and placed the barrel of his gun on my head. I heard the flick of his finger as he turned off the safety. I heard Asteria gasp and I grimaced. If she would have just kept her mouth shut…

“What are you showing?!” Asteria demanded.

“Showing you her options.” Master smiled a cunning smile. “Kill, or be killed.”

“No!”

“Yes.” Master turned his gaze to me. “She made her choice the moment she stepped foot into this palace.” He turned back to Asteria. “But, this time, I’ll let you choose. Allow her to go or…” he smiled wider. “-allow her to die.”

Asteria didn’t hesitate, “Let her go.”

He smiled and moved to his daughter. He embraced her as she stood stiffly, watching as the guards walked away from me. After a moment they both sat back down. Throughout this whole ordeal, Asterias mother was as silent and still as a statue, per usual. I was not entirely convinced that she was not, in fact, a statue.

The king looked into my eyes. “You leave in the morning. I am sending no one with you. If you are caught, I will not bail you out. If they interrogate you, you cut out your tongue rather than tell my secrets, or I will come for you. And I will kill you myself.”

I nearly rolled my eyes at the usual instructions, but caught myself just in time. I nodded and bowed again, then swiftly exited the room. I heard Asteria whisper something to her father. He grunted. Soon after, I heard her footsteps chasing after me down the hall. I didn’t slow my pace as she caught up to me, didn’t glance her way as we mounted our horses or as we dismounted. I grabbed clothes and shoved myself inside the tiny closet I had to change, not wanting to look at her. When I was in my usual ragged day tights and t-shirt, I flopped onto the couch. Asteria sat down lightly beside me, like a good little girl.

She was silent for a moment, but then whispered, “I’m sorry.”

I grunted.

“Please look at me.”

I glared at her.

“I’m sorry.” She repeated.

“Whatever.”

“Come on, Temp.”

I could have burned holes in her with my glare. Or, to be fair, my blood. “You could have gotten me killed. Or, more importantly, gotten you killed!”

“More importantly?”

“Yes.”

“You think my life is more important than yours?”

“Way to state the obvious.”

“Why?”

I rolled my eyes. I did not want to have this conversation right now. “You are more important to me than myself. You’re something I can never be. Human.”

“What do you mean?”

“I told you last night. I’m a monster. An unfeeling, cold-blooded killer.”

A little squeaking noise escaped from in between her teeth, “No, you're not.”

I stood up and threw my hands in the air, “Yes, I am! I have killed people. Ever since I was eight years old I have been an assassin. If I wanted to, I could kill you right now. All it would take was one cut.” I showed her my arms, covered in scars. “And you would be just another mark. Just another corpse.”

She stood up, her brown eyes stormy. “You would never do that.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes, I do! You are not a monster!”

“Yes I am! Have I ever told you about my victims? About how I cannot look at their faces? About the names they call me, just before they are killed by my blood? Have I ever told you the brutally grotesque holes that appear on their skin when I touch them? The frightened look in their eyes when they see my hair? Have I ever told you how good it feels to kill someone? How amazing it feels when I shove my blood down their throat? No? Well that’s what it's like.” I paused and balled up my fists. “Just a day in the life of a monster. Just another day as ‘The Phoenix’.”

She backed away from me, tears streaming down her face. “That's not who you are! That's who you were made to be!”

“Yeah?!” I slammed my fist onto the dingy dining room table. “I was eight years old when the king- your father- placed a knife in my hand and told the guards to train me. My first kill was when I was nine years old. A child. Can you guess what the guards think of me now?”

She winced, “No.” She lied.

“They’re afraid of me!” I hissed. “At first, I didn’t understand why. But, then, when I killed a girl at 12 who was barely older than me, I started to understand. And, just a few months later, I began to realize that they had a reason to be afraid of me. I was a monster. I still am. Maybe even more so now.”

“I refuse to believe that.”

I chuckled darkly. Then, I launched myself at her. I had her pinned up against the wall in a moment. The knife I always had stored in a sleeve by my calf was against her throat in the next split second. I trailed a line across her throat, pressing the knife just enough that it drew a drop of blood and nothing more. A sudden monster was rearing inside of me, urging me to slice open my hand and be done with this girl. Without thinking it out, I cut a thin line across my hand. Before I realized what I was doing, a drop landed on her arm. She sucked in a shuddering breath. “Tempest, no.”

I looked into her eyes, mine glinting with murderous intent. I shoved away from her. She clutched at a broiling blister on her arm, staring at the damage a single half-drop of my blood could do. “You should leave.”

Asteria nodded, then walked towards the door without another word. She paused when she pulled on the handle. “You are not a monster. Nothing can convince me that you are. I’ll be back.” She paused, looking at her arm. “I just need a little time.”

I kept my composure together until I heard hooves pounding as she rode away. I knew it had to be done, there was no way I was coming back alive from this job. It was better to give her the pain now. Allow her to recover. Then, it wouldn’t be much of a shock later, when she got news of my death. I had done the right thing. But, then, if I had, why did it feel so wrong? I collapsed to the floor, hugging my torso to hold together the gaping hole inside of me that seemed to be sucking in the last of my humanity.

The next morning, I woke up with circles under my eyes. After getting barely an hour of sleep, I trudged through my miniature house and got dressed in my tights, corset, and white shirt with billowing sleeves. I pulled on tall black boots and brushed my hair as best I could. Then, I packed my saddlebag. After assuring myself that I had enough supplies, I walked over to my tiny dresser. I pulled open a drawer, then reached to the back. My finger caught on a small latch which I pulled open. Out of it came a long, gold locket, with a picture of a woman inside. The woman’s face was not familiar, nor the clothes she wore, but I knew it was my mother. The mother that died just before my father sold me off. 

I latched the necklace around my neck and tucked it into my shirt. Then, I grabbed my saddlebag from where it layed on the table and went out to Slayer. I had him tacked up in a minute, and then we were running towards the place. I got inside the throne room quickly, bowing and then raising my eyes to meet the kings’.

He looked at me, seemingly annoyed that I was standing there. “Kenric's bedroom is the highest one in the tallest tower. Perfect place for a fairytale.” He smirked, an odd look on his face. “Or, rather a nightmare.” I nodded. “Go. You know where it is. Go.”

I nodded and left the throne room. I mounted Slayer and we were off. Slayer ran at a steady pace. We only stopped two or three times during our three day journey, once to drink, once to use the restroom, and once to eat. As we cantered over the final hill that overlooked the Castle, I slowed Slayer to a walk.

The castle was beautiful with intricately carved arches. And yet, there was something ominous about it. Its pitch black structure was hard to make out in the night. There was no greenery surrounding the castle, nothing alive besides for the horses neighing in the stable. That was bad. There was nowhere for me to hide. I grumbled to myself under my breath. There would be no better opportunity to kill this Kenric kid. I dismounted Slayer and patted his sweaty skin. For a moment, my throat closed up. This might be the last time I saw my beloved companion. I shook that thought away quickly. This would not be the last time I saw him. And yet, I did not tie him to anything before I left. If I didn’t have a chance, maybe he did.

And then, I was darting down the hill. I stayed in the darkness, concealed by the seemingly eternal night. My fiery red hair flowed behind me as I dashed between structures, careful to stay out of the way of patrolling guards. A few times I almost got caught, but their eyes flicked over my concealed form. Still, breaking into this fortress was unlike any other job I had ever done. It took me close to an hour to cross the three hundred yards between the outer wall and the actual castle due to the excessively thorough patrols. When I finally reached the smooth black structure, I snuck in a side door. I found myself in an old broom closet, covered in dust and cobwebs. It didn't look as if anyone had been in here in a very long time. I stepped out into the soft evening light into a dimly lit hallway. It looked rather abandoned, with a thin layer of dust coating the floor. I crept along the dusty carpet, my footsteps making no sound. I finally emerged into a bigger hallway. This one also had no one currently, but looked as if there had been people here recently. I kept in the shadows of the architecture, wary of my new surroundings. My shoulder bumped up against a painting of a middle aged man, sitting on a white horse. I almost scoffed at the petty symbol of riches. 

I jumped as I heard voices and quickly shoved into a room to my left. “-yeah, he’s been a recluse ever since his dad died.”

They both paused for a moment, “They never seemed close out in public.”

The first voice responded, “Take it from me, they were. They bonded when his mother died.”

I could almost hear the eye roll from the second person, “Oh, I’m sorry sweet little precious Kenric experienced some trauma.” He scoffed. “He has no idea what it is like in the real world. All he’s ever been is a spoiled-”

Someone laughed. I heard the guards both shift slightly as a third, quieter pair of footsteps approached. The new voice, considerably less gruff, gave another cold chuckle. “Spoiled. Yes, I’ve heard the term before.”

The first voice choked on his own words. “Your- Your highness we-”

“Save it. I’m not a prince. I’m just a spoiled recluse.”

I almost gasped. So this was the infamous Kenric. The boy I was supposed to kill. I smiled as the darkness. What an easy set up! Now if those two guards would just leave…

The two guards mumbled something under their breaths. 

Kenric sighed, “Go.”

I heard hurried footsteps and mumbled apologies as the guards shuffled away and down the hall. Kenric stood there, unmoving. 

“Why did I volunteer to do this? The extra coins are not worth it.” I paused at the door as I listened to his mumbling. What an odd thing to say. I assumed that he was talking about ‘volunteering’ to inherit the mansion and the fortune. But, then again, he did not gain merely a few extra coins. I shrugged. Not my problem. I had a job to do.

I turned the handle.

I lunged at the boy and had my arm around his neck before he could scream. He trashed and struggled for air until he went limp in my arms, unconscious. I smiled wider, anticipation fueling adrenaline in my veins. I dropped him lightly and took a small step back. The room I had dragged him into would do the job, it was small but had a considerable amount of space. I pulled my knife out from its small pocket in my calf. But, before I could slice it across my hand, I felt a force like a freight train hit me from the side. I went flying backwards, slamming into some long-forgotten furniture. I grunted but was on my feet in an instance, staring at the boy before me. His white-blonde hair sat like a mop on his head, untrimmed and not styled. His dull blue eyes stared at me accusingly, his brows furrowed in concentration. He had a lean and muscular body which was now poised in an offensive position, like a cat ready to pounce. His sharp features glared at me, his cheekbones defined in the low light. 

I observed all of this in an instance and then chuckled, circling him, “You have spirit. Too bad you wont be around much longer.”

He smirked, “I beg to differ, Phoenix. I’ve been waiting for you.”

I smiled at him, “Did daddy teach you some tricks? What, before he died?”

He grimaced and lunged towards me, I sidestepped out of the way easily, laughing as he got back to his feet. I made a tsk tsk noise at him as if I were punishing a child. “You’ve got a temper! Best to keep that in check if you want to win!” I cocked my head to the side, “But, then again, it's not as if you have a chance.”

I lunged for him, silent as a cat and landed on top of him, pulling him to the ground. I finally sliced a cut across my hand and pressed it to his mouth. He grimaced in pain and screamed several silent screams. I looked away as I continued to allow my blood to flow down his throat. He finally began thrashing and I hopped off of him, allowing my magic to do its work. But, before it could, his skin melted away to reveal another person entirely. This boy had dark tan skin and close shaven black hair. He gurgled as I lunged away in horror.

But even in his pain, he gave a smug grimace, “Behind you.”

I turned around in horror just in time to see the door open. The boy I thought I had just killed, with white blonde hair, sashayed through the door. His gun, aimed directly at me, glinted in the low light. I was planted to the ground, horrified at the trap I had fallen into. Kenric, the real Kenric, gave a cocky smile. “Hello, Phoenix.”

I heard a gunshot, felt a sting of pain, and then nothing. Nothing at all. 

I groaned and rolled over to my back, wishing that the gunshot had killed me. But I knew from the firey pain in my shoulder that it had not. I timidly felt the spot where the bullet had dug itself into my skin and sucked in a breath. Instead of slimy blood under my fingers there was cold, hard metal. I felt it for a moment then sighed in recognition. A tracker. Placed in one of the hardest places to reach. I opened my eyes for a moment, observing my surroundings for the first time. I was locked in a classic dungeon, complete with stone walls and rusty bars. My vision clouded with anger. How had I let them catch me?! Just then, I touched the spot a little too hard and grunted quietly.

“Don’t be dramatic, it doesn’t hurt that bad.” I sat up a little too quickly, allowing my hand to drop to my side. The voice came from the cell next to me, through a small vent. 

For a moment, I just sat there dumbfounded. I had thought I was the only one down here. Then, I blinked twice slowly and regained my composure. “You would know?” Whoever ‘you’ are.

The voice sighed. “Yeah. I would.”

I waited for a moment for the voice to respond, then prompted it when they didn’t. “Wanna elaborate?” 

The voice, now obviously male, laughed. “No.”

Well, if I had expected anything, it would not have been that. “Well, can you at least give me your name?” I mentally kicked myself when I realized how pathetically desperate I sounded.

The voice sighed, long and riddled with malice, “Kenric. The real one. Not one of these jokers running around in suits.” I sucked in a breath. So this was the boy I was supposed to kill. 

I gave a small chuckle, staccato and unfeeling. “So you’re daddy’s little angel. Or, rather were.”

He responded with a chuckle almost identical in pitch to mine. “Yep, that me. Daddy’s angel, rotting in a prison cell.” His voice grew louder as he moved closer to the vent. “I did nothing to land myself down here. What could a girl like you do to be here?” His voice took on a mocking tone. “Who might I have the absolute pleasure of meeting?”

I smirked, though I knew he couldn’t see it. “Tempest. But you’ll know me as the Phoenix.

The boy gave a little hmph of approval. “Sent to kill me, I presume?”

I scoffed. “Who else would I be sent to kill? You’re the one with all of the money. Which is why I’m wondering why you are down here.”

The boy- Kenric- laughed again, but this time it was dark and cold. “You really think that they would trust an 18-year-old kid to handle this fortune? ‘It’s better this way,’ they told me. ‘This is what your father wanted.’” He pounded his fist on the ground. “My father is dead!”

I rolled my eyes. So dramatic. Kenric took a deep breath, then spit out, “Don’t you have some kind of magic voodoo that could break us out of here?”

“Obviously not or I would have been long gone.”

“Without me, I presume.”

“Yes.”

He sighed, “I hate this!”

I rolled my eyes again. I remembered what my mother said, that one day they might get stuck there. If I kept talking to this idiot, maybe they would. “You’re being dramatic.”

“I’ve never been in this situation before.”

“And I have?”

“As far as I know, you’ve been owned your entire life. Used. A weapon. A toy.”

I lunged myself at the grate, knowing it would do nothing but pounding on it anyway. “You… you…”

I was too enraged to form a sentence. Instead, I slunk back and sat with my back to the vent, mumbling threats under my breath. I shoved my head in my hands. At that moment, I fully processed the situation. I would never get out of here. I would never see the sunlight again. I would never see Asteria or Slayer. I growled in rage and pounded my fist against the stone until it was black and purple with bruises. I would rot in this cell side by side with that sarcastic, spoiled prince. I reached for my knife on my thigh, clenching my fists when all I found was my empty pocket.

I searched for anything sharp, a rock, a particularly pointed stick, anything that I could cut myself with. But all I found was smooth stone, the perfect cell for someone who could destroy anything living with her blood.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and launched to my feet again, walking up close to the bars. Fake-Kenric came down the stairs, flashing a movie-worthy smile at me. His dull blue eyes, the same shade as the other fake-Kenric’s, cut between me and real Kenric, laughing when he saw the anger in both of our eyes, the utter hate that we held for him. 

He paused when he was in between our cells. He turned to face me first. “How are you liking your new accessory, Tempest?” He pulled something from his pocket, a golden locket. My golden locket. “I’m sure liking mine.” 

I roared and launched myself towards the bars. But, before I could reach them, a shimmer erupted before my eyes. I was flung backward into the wall behind me. I hit it with an ugly crack. My vision swam before me as I staggered to my feet. I turned and faced the six different Kenric’s swimming in my eyes. “Forcefield, huh?”

He laughed, then reached through the forcefield. Before my groggy mind could react, he pushed lightly on my chest. I fell backwards at that touch, hitting my head again on the ground. I let out a little sound of pain as my head exploded with mind-spittling pain.

I heard the real Kenric’s voice ring out from beside me, “That’s enough, Grother.”

Grother -aka Fake Kenric- made an annoyed clicking sound. “That is the least amount of pain she will be in. You should thank me. If she dies now, it will save her a lot of agony. Not that she does not deserve it. Do you know how many people she’s…”

Kenric scoffed, “Take off that suit and face me as yourself, Grother, and I’ll tell you all of the things you deserve.”

Grother, Kenric’s father’s old adviser I assumed, gave a short chuckle. “No, I’m not Gother anymore, I’m Kenric. You’re the one in a cell right? Seized for trying to impersonate me nonetheless.”

Kenric shouted in anger, his boots scuffing the smooth floor as he lunged toward the forcefield, not quite touching it. I thought he might kill Gother with the sheer force of his will. Then, suddenly, he was silent. I heard Kenric suck in a breath, but my head hurt too much to move. 

Instead, I whispered, “What are you doing to him?”

Grother inclined his head towards me, “Well, Kenric here needs to be taught another lesson. Until he gives us the location of some information, he has a monthly… session with me. I’m just letting him know that that session will be held earlier than usual.”

Just then, guards entered from out of nowhere and took Kenric, still writhing in pain, out of my view. I sat up slowly, my head beginning to hurt less. I looked up at Grother with a poisonous glare, “And me? Why not just kill me?”

Grother turned away and chuckled to himself, “Because I’d rather see you starve.” He twirled my knife in between his fingers, not nicking his fingers once. “Let’s see how you do without a victim for a month or two, Phoenix.”

He walked away then, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Starve me. I knew he meant not in the literal sense, such as deprive me of food, but he meant in the magical sense. That could be just as deadly, if not more. I leaned back against the wall, wincing when my head hit it. He was going to kill me. Not quickly, not the death I had always hoped for but never deserved. No, he was going to drive it out, long and painful. He was going to allow the magic to clot up in my system, giving me no way to release it. It would only release if I had the intent to kill something, so it didn’t matter if I had a thousand knives in the cell with me. I had nothing alive except for myself, and I was immune to my own magic. I closed my eyes, allowing my head to take a rest. 

My eyes whipped open at a loud sound coming from up the stairs. I must have fallen asleep. At first, I could not make out what exactly the sound was, my mind still groggy, but slowly my ears processed the tortured noise. A scream. It was low and ugly, laced with terrible pain and anger. The sound of it hurt my ears, not because it was loud, but because it was so overwhelmingly horrible. The thing making this sound had seen more pain than my mind could process, had been in more pain themselves than I ever had. The sound suddenly surged louder and angrier. The voice was tired. Tired of fighting. Tired of being hurt. Tired of life itself. 

After a while, the scream faded into silence, still ringing in my ears. I hadn’t realized I had cupped my hands over my ears until I slowly removed them and unwrapped myself from the fetal position I was curled into. I heard footsteps again and automatically slunk back to the back of the cell, not afraid of the people but afraid that these footsteps would bring the sound with them. I heard something drop to the floor in the cell next to me, and then the loud boots clanking away.

I slowly peeled my eyes open. The room was dark, darker than when I had seen Grother. It must have been nighttime. I crawled over to the grate, and whispered into it, “Kenric?”

I heard a grunt of a reply. “Yeah?” His voice was raw and cracked, as if he had been yelling loudly. Or, rather, screaming.

“What did they do to you?”

“Just,” he paused and grunted in pain. “Talked.”

I nodded, even though he couldn’t see me and moved away from the grate. I curled into a ball in the corner, allowing my long red hair to spread over me like a firey blanket. I then decided that my garb was too uncomfortable and slid off my long black boots. They were just for show anyways. If I was going to die, I would at least die comfortable. I began to run my fingers through my hair, then thought better of it when I nearly pulled my brains out because of the knots. I slid off my corset and sucked in a deep breath. Now that felt good. I was left in nothing but my bare feet, tights, and my billowy white shirt. 

I had momentarily distracted myself from the fact of my new life, but as I curled up in the corner it all came crashing down on me. I reasoned with my assassin self to allow myself this one night. This one night to drown in my sorrow, to feel bad for myself, to cry. One night and nothing else. 

When I woke up in the morning, I was sure my eyes were red-rimmed and swollen. I sniffled one last time, then stood up. I noticed that I was already a little shaky; already a little woozy. They would kill me soon enough. I walked over to the grate and sat down, positioning myself so my voice would best be heard through it. I almost laughed at how pitiful I was. But there was nothing else to do, so why not talk with my should-have-been-victim.

I opened my mouth to sleep and then thought that he might still be sleeping. I remembered the gravel in his voice last night, and assumed that he probably was.

“Tempest?” I heard Kenric’s voice sneak through the grate. He sounded a little bit better, but not much. Still as if he should have died several days ago. “Or should I call you Phoenix?”

“Tempest is fine.” I thought of the one other person that had called me by my real name, then swatted away the thought. One night of pity, that is all I would allow myself. And that night had passed. “Are…” I hated having to ask this, when I knew the answer. “Are you ok?”

He snickered, “Yeah. Just peachy.”

“What did they do to you?”

I could visualize his smile fade. “Just… don’t do anything that will make them mad enough to take you to that room.”

“What did you do to make them angry?” I knew he withheld information from them, but what kind of information would make them go to such extreme measures to retrieve it? I almost laughed at what levels I had already sunk to to get some form of entertainment. 

“I have some information that they want.”

“What kind of information?”

“A location.”

“Of what?”

He sighed. “I don't know. That’s the problem. I don't know.” He gave a slightly maniacal chuckle. “When my father died, he gave me the information. He said that it was of the utmost importance that I do not tell anyone.”

“Why do you care?” I threw my hands up, wincing at the pain in my shoulder. “He’s dead. He can’t be disappointed in you.”

“I don't know. But it must be important.”

I automatically flinched away from the sincerity in his voice, the emotion too prominent. “I bet it's the location of the secret family lasagna recipe.”

Kenric laughed quietly, then sucked in a breath, seeming to be in pain. “That would be unfortunate.” He paused for a moment. “Who was the person in the locket?”

“My mother. It’s the only image I have from her.”

“Oh.”

We didn’t talk much after that, just snippets of conversation here and there throughout the day. Eventually, the guards brought a slice of bread and a small bowl of peas to each of us. I nibbled on the bread, not really hungry for anything but to use my magic. That was the beginning of a very long time. Kenric and I spent endless hours in those cells, talking every now and then but mostly just sitting in silence. As the days went on, Kenric recovered from his ‘session’ with Grother, just as I began to get weaker. I began to get more and more feeble, thinner and thinner from not using my magic. In the smooth stone I could sometimes make out my reflection, though I only did it once intentionally. My eyes were sunken into my face and my hair hung in limp, dull, knotted ringlets. My cheekbones were more defined than they had ever been, and my stomach was sunken in. 

I was not actually hungry, of course. They brought us food every day. I nibbled on that, though it did nothing to supply the thirst in my stomach. The thirst for something to kill. I began to think like an animal, looking for anything to kill. But there was nothing sharp in the room, and there was nothing alive besides for myself. 

By the time the month had passed, I was only able to crawl, let alone walk. My whole body ached and my stomach twisted painfully, begging me to take someone’s life to fuel mine.

I couldn’t sleep anymore, so I laid awake at night, listening to what I could now discern as Kenric’s soft snores. I eventually began sleeping by the grate that led to Kenric’s room as it was the only place where I felt comfortable. 

But, while I was suffering, the grudging friendship between myself and Kenric was growing. With nothing to do but talk to each other, we began to understand each other. I hated the growing feeling of concern in the pit of my stomach. I hated the fact that I was worried for his next session with Grother. Worried if he would survive or not. It shouldn’t matter. I had never even seen him. But for some twisted, horrible reason, it did. 

Kenric’s snores slowly faded until I knew that he was awake, “Tempest? You still there?”

I chuckled, “No, not dead yet.”

Kenric shifted so he was closer to the vent, “Would you rather be?”

I answered without hesitation, “Yes.”

He sighed, “Me too.” He paused for a moment, then said. “How much longer do you think you have left?”

“A couple of days. Maybe a week.” I heard Kenric suck in a breath. He didn’t want to be alone again. Even if I wasn’t the best company, at least I was someone. He understood that. I was unfeeling on the matter. It was inevitable that I would die. But, I did care about something. I approached the subject quickly, keeping the feeling out of my voice. “Today’s the day?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you scared?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Because they won't kill me.” He paused and then seemed to mutter to himself, “Maybe that’s why I should be scared.”

I gave a soft growl, fury suddenly clouding my vision of the grate, “Do they have no heart? Do they see what they’re doing to us?” I paused. “Well, at least to you.”

“What do you mean?” 

“I mean,” I tried to plan how I would justify my amendment, then gave up and just said it. “I mean I probably deserve this. But you don’t.”

“No one deserves this.” 

I was silent. I agreed with him on that. No matter the horrible things I had done, it had always been a semi-quick death for my victims. This was torture. Plain and simple. 

“Ugh.” I said, deciding to change the topic. “I hate that there is no sun in this room! It just throws me off completely!”

Kenric accepted the not-so-subtle change in conversation and we talked for a minute or two. But, we both were silent as we heard footsteps approaching for the first time in weeks. I was tired by the short conversation we had, but I found enough energy to turn my head to the sound. I could see only the bottom half of the guards as they pressed their keycards to the lock outside the door. Kenric didn’t fight this time. I strained to see him but they had turned him away before I could get a glance beyond two bare feet. I sighed and laid my head back again, enjoying my last few minutes until the screaming began. 

And it did indeed begin. I covered my ears and curled into a much smaller ball than the last time because I was so much skinnier. The combination of the screaming in my ears and the aching in my body made for a horrible hour. I tried to fall asleep for a minute, then gave up. It wasn’t as if I would fall asleep. I hadn’t done that in several days. Throughout the hour, I could not allow myself to connect that voice to Kenric. Well, what I imagined Kenric to look like. The mental images I conjured up in the deepest depths of my subconscious…

No.

I couldn’t think about that.

When the screams finally faded, I sighed in relief. I flopped over onto my back, my eyes still closed. I laid there, until I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I slowly sat up, wincing from the pain. I wanted to get at least once glimpse of the boy I had been talking to for so long before I died. But, when the guards entered, they brought no such boy with them.

My heart skipped a beat. They’d killed him. They’d finally killed him. He had gotten his wish.

I shouted threats at them in my rage. Well, shouted may not be the right word, my feeble voice sounded more like a normal conversational voice. The guards ignored me as tears streamed down my face. I didn’t know when my emotions got so attached to this boy. But they had. There was no doubt. That was why I felt no more reason to live. 

As soon as I could smell the guards in my cell, I had the urge to kill them. I had no means to do so, nothing to cut myself with, but it I didn’t fight the gaurds as they entered my cell. I lay, unfeeling, as they lifted me off the ground with rough hands. No one cared anymore. No one cared if I lived or died. Not Asteria, not Kenric. So why should I? 

I closed my eyes as they walked me down the hallways, my face a mask of rage intermingled with an overwhelming sense of happiness at the fact that I was about to die. The pain, the horrible, excruciating hunger, it would all fade away. Finally, And maybe I would see Kenric in whatever afterlife I went to. Although improbable, Kenric was so much purer than me, that thought encouraged me as they opened a door to a room. They dropped me down onto the floor, allowing my head to slam against the cold stone. I opened my eyes to see the room was made entirely out of dark obsidian, with only one source of light coming from a window. Inside the window sat Grother in his Kenric bioskin. He smiled when I saw him. I was filled with instantaneous fury. How dare he dress up as the young, innocent boy he just killed?!

Grother smiled wider when he saw the rage clouding my vision. Or maybe it was the pitiful lump I had fallen in and stayed in, not having the energy to get up that delighted him so. “Hello, Phoenix.”

“You killed him.” I spit, pulling myself up off the ground. “You killed him, you monster!”

Grother laughed, “No, I didn’t. But you might.”

Just then, a nearly invisible side door opened and a limp body was tossed in. My body immediately tensed as a knife was lowered from the ceiling and dropped in front of me. All I could glimpse from here was a mop of blonde hair. I groaned in pain as the overwhelming urge to seize the knife and slice it across my hand washed over me like a wave. I balled my hands up into fists to keep from charging at the shadow-covered figure. 

Grother snickered, “You see, I’m feeling generous today. We’re not going to get anything else out of him.” he paused and looked at me quizzically. “But we might just get some use out of you. But you will need strength to help us. So we’re giving him to you.”

I ground my teeth together. “I won’t kill him.”

Grother sighed. “Maybe not now. But you will.” He smiled, showing all of his teeth. He looked like a shar, trying to charm his prey. “He’ll be in the same cell as you from now on.”

Guards marched in just then, picking me up and hauling me out. But, not before I could get in one final comment. “I won’t touch him. I will not be your tool.”

“Well, then, you’ll die.” He called after me down the hall. “And, eventually, so will he.”

I was thrown back into my cell, the knife still gripped in my hand. My knuckles were white from the hard hold I had on the handle of the slim, black blade. Before the door closed, I threw the knife at the guards. It clattered to the floor, useless. Another knife was tossed in, skidding to a stop next to me. 

Soon after I pushed myself into a sitting position, Kenric was thrown in. When I could see his face in the light, an overwhelming wave of relief was intermingled with the hunger. At least he was alive. I was set in my resolve. I would not kill him.

I slid the knife into the far corner of the cell and crawled over to Kenric, my body begging me to drown him in my blood. I kelt over him, his scent dirty and yet somehow undeniably desirable.

His mop of blonde hair was messy and knotted, his eyes sunken in and his cheekbones defined. He was skinny and his ribs showed through his dirty shirt. A light stubble coated his chin and his eyes were closed. He looked fine from the outside, malnourished but not overly sick. I put two fingers on his wrist. His heart was beating a mile a minute. His eyes slowly opened and I sucked in a breath. They were a brilliant, clear, glacial blue. Grother and his goons may have been able to steal his body and his hair, but they would never perfectly imitate this piercing, brilliant blue.

“Tempest?” He groaned. 

“Yeah.” I muttered through my teeth. “Yeah it’s me.” He groaned again. “What hurts?”

“Everything, but that’s not why I groaned.” He smiled a small smirk. “They said you would kill me.”

“I won’t. I promise.”

“What if I asked you to?”

“I wouldn’t do it.”

“You’ll die.”

“It’s either you or me.”

“I choose you.”

I scoffed. “Well I’m the one with a knife.”

He laughed, “Yeah, I guess that’s true.”

I paused. “How much does it hurt?”

“A lot.”

“What did they do to you?”

He closed his eyes. “They bring me to this big, white room. They hook me up to these machines. They send electrical impulses through my body, stimulating my nerves. Each time I refuse to answer them, they make it more painful.” He winced. “It hurts, it really really hurts.”

“Can… can I help?” I sounded pathetic.

“Yea.” 

“No.”

“Why? You’ll survive and I won't be in pain.”

“Because then I’d have no one to talk to.”

He laughed. “That’s a petty reason to keep me alive.”

“But a valid one.”

He laughed again then slowly drifted off to sleep. As soon as I heard his quiet snores, I moved to the corner of the room farthest away from him. Coincidentally, that corner also contained the knife. I threw the knife away from me, and hugged my knees, trying to only breathe through my mouth. It took everything in me not to run over to the knife and stab my hand. I subconsciously imagined the feeling of the magic flowing out of my body and into his mouth, the silent screams he would have as my blood dripped down his throat…

No.

No.

No.

I would not do that.

I would not harm him. 

He did not deserve that. 

That night was quite possibly the hardest night of my life. It was nearly impossible to sit aside while I slowly died,knowing there was a completely viable solution laying in the corner across from me. The sleeping form would never know. But I fought against myself, against my own will. I would never kill him. I sat in the same position for the entire night, hugging my knees to my chest, running my hand across the smooth walls. When morning finally came, it was a relief. It would be easier to resist my nature when I was up and talking to him.

His soft snores faded and he woke up, pushing himself up against the wall slowly. That small exertion left him out of breath. I moved over next to him, practically salivating from the sight of him. The desire to kill him was always there, at the front of my mind. I had a feeling that it would always be. 

I ignored my own weakness and instead focused on him. “How are you?”

“Better. It gets better every day.” He looked straight forward. “How are you? Don’t lie.”

“Fine.”

“I said don’t lie.”

“I wasn’t.” I was.

He sighed. “How much longer? Be honest.”

“Not long.”

He growled in anger. I was surprised by this strong emotion. “Just kill me. It doesn’t matter!”

“Yes, it does.”

“You’ll die.”

“I have a very bad sense of self-preservation.”

He gave a grunt of agreement, then turned to face me. His beautiful blue eyes stared into my dull green eyes. I felt him observing every aspect of my face, every angle, every freckle. I suddenly felt a fierce blush rise to my cheeks. My face was hot as he leaned closer, his eyes on my lips. I found myself rushing to meet him…

Footsteps began marching down the hall.

We both pulled away abruptly. The guards slid our food into the cell. I rushed over to grab it (by rushed I mean crawled at an even, slow pace) before Kenric could move. I shoved both plates towards him.

He shoved one back to me. “You have to eat too.” 

I found myself focusing on the soft curve of his upper lip as he spoke, “I’m not hungry.”

He looked dead into my eyes, causing me to avert my attention from his lips. “Eat.”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m not hungry.”

“Please.”

“No, I’m gonna die anyways, what’s the point?”

He sucked in a breath. “Please don't say that.”

“Why?”

“Because you can't give up hope.”

“There is no hope.”

He pursed his lips. “Well then, just humor me.”

I rolled my eyes and finally nibbled on my bread. I pushed the beans to him, which he accepted without a fight. He scarfed down his piece of bread and both of our bowls of beans, his color seemingly returning with each bite. The rest of the day went this way, his health slowly improving and mine slowly declining. The same routine repeated at night, me pushing as far away from him as possible as soon as he fell asleep, clutching the knife in my hand. But tonight, before I curled up, I shoved the knife into the pocket in my tights. Better than having it laying around. 

The next few days were the same as the last, some conversation, a whole lot of silence. The nights I spent in the corner, hatin myself for what I had become. Hating the growing desire I had to kill him.

“So,” Kenric began one time. “What are the scars for?”

I blanched. “What?”

“The scars on your back, what are they from.”

I winced automatically from where I laid at his side. “I ran away.”

“And that deserved those?”

“No.”

“Then why do you have them?”

“Because I ran away with the Kings daughter. We thought we could live out the rest of our lived in the woods or mabe a small village.” I sighed. “Settle down, you know. Maybe we would find husbands. But, then, we were caught.”

His fists tightened. “How bad did it end up being?”

I flinched again. “They whipped me until I passed out. Every day. And they forced Asteria to watch.”

He let out a breath, long and slow. He didn’t say much after that. 

After a while, he fell asleep. I shoved away form him slowly, my strength pitiful. I curled up into my usual position and tried to think about anything other than the situation I was currently in. It was about halfway through that night when my head began swimming. My breathing turned into a pant, though I hadn’t moved from my curled position. I felt myself tip over and sprawl onto the floor. My heart stuttered, causing my breathing to hitch. I groaned. I was dying. This was my magic finally becoming too much for my body to handle.

“Tempest?” Kenric’s voice came to my ears, dull and muffled. “Tempest, no!” I felt his arms slide around mine until he was almost hugging me. My head lolled back onto his lap. “Tempest kill me! Kill me please!”

I opened my lips to whisper one word, “No.”

He huffed in anger and kept on begging for me to end his life to save mine. I distractedly thought that he cared for me more than he let on, but then the pain started. I cried out as little blisters started popping up on my arms. I had enough experience that I could tell that in an hour or so they would kill me. A slow death for the murderer. 

I cried out in pain, tears streaming down my face. Kenric was mumbling something into my ear, “Not again. Not again.”

“Sorry.” I mumbled in between gasps of pain. He clutched me. It hurt, but I allowed him to do it. I had a sudden realization and tried to shove away from him. “Don’t touch me, my blood will hurt you.” I barely whispered.

“I don't care.” He mumbled. “I don't care, I don't care, I don't care.”

I felt the cell shake, my senses were duly aware of some kind of dust falling on us. I heard sounds of a muffled struggle; weapons clanging and guns shooting. Kenric suddenly shoved away from me. Good, I thought He came to his senses.

“Help! Help us!” Who was he calling to. I was barely aware of the sounds of a struggle, closer this time, then I heard grunting and thudding as bodies dropped to the ground. “The keycard!” Kenric suddenly shouted. “Get the keycard!”

The door was unlocked. At that moment, I felt more boils erupt over my skin. I screamed in pain. 

“Tempest.” Kenric knelt by me. “Tempest we have to get out of here.”

“Go.” I whispered, knowing he wouldn’t listen to me.

“Not without you.” A voice as sweet as honey met my ears. I opened my eyes to see a beautiful, tropical face framed with jet black hair leaning over me. 

“Asteria.” I smiled and then winced in pain. “You need to go.”

Another wave of pain overtook me. I groaned and twitched. 

“Tempest look at me.” Kenric’s voice met my ears. I opened my eyes. He was staring at my face with a concerned expression. “I have to move you. It’s going to hurt. Promise me you wont give up, ok? Promise me you won't just die.” I mumbled an agreement. He leaned down and his lips brushed mine. A wisp of a kiss. A promise. “I’m sorry.”

His hands bent as gently as possible under me and lifted me. I screamed in overwhelming agony. He tried to jostle me as little as possible, but it was impossible as he ran up stairs and down hallways. I could barely make out their voices, discerning that they were yelling at each other.

“-no we have to go this way!” Kenric shouted over a loud clamoring.

“No, this way is where my horse is!”

“Do you want her or your horse? We’re going this way!”

Kenric took a sharp turn, causing my body to shift and erupt in more excruciating pain. I heard footsteps plod behind us, so Asteria had followed. Poor Mellow. Kenric grunted loudly, his breathing coming out in short, sporadic pants. I had forgotten about him. It might kill him too, to carry me for so long like this. And, most likely, it would all be for nothing. I groaned again. The pain was intensifying, second by sending. It wouldn’t be long before it consumed me whole.

Kenric stopped abruptly. My body fell out of his arms. As soon as I hit the floor, my vision went black around the edges. I screamed, the broils growing larger and now the pain intensified by the pressure on them. Then, I heard a sound that was enough to make me open my eyes. A loud, long shriek. 

We were in some kind of connecting hallway, probably close to the servant quarters. Crouched beside me was Kenric, his face flushed and his breathing quick. But that wasn’t what alarmed me. Surrounding us were five guards, each bigger and meaner than the last. In the arms of one the biggest guards`, was Asteria. Pressed to her throat was a long, glistening knife. I muttered under my breath, “No.”

She should have never come.

She came to save me after everything I had done. To show forgiveness and mercy. And she would be killed.

Because of me.

Kenric looked at our surroundings and growled. “What do you want? Me? Take me.”

I reached for his wrist and grabbed it, bracing myself for the pain. “No.”

He shrugged me off. I sucked in a breath, but kept quiet. The guards chuckled. “You’re useless. We want her.”

It was Kenric’s turn to laugh. “Touch her, you die.”

Quite literally.

“I’ll take my chances,” The guard who seemed to be the leader continued. “Four on one? I like my odds.”

Kenric growled and leapt to his feet, deft even though exhausted. He stood protectively over me, blocking me from them. “Bring it on.”

“No.” I made my voice louder this time. I pushed myself up into a standing position, my legs locking under me. Kenric clutched me as my skin screamed in agony, my body rebelling against me. “It’s me you want, right?” My voice was shakier than I wanted it to be.

The pressing pain made me want to scream and collapse to the ground, but I needed to keep these two alive. Asteria's scared eyes met mine. She tried to say something, but the guard clutching her pressed the knife harder against her throat. She sucked in a breath and closed her eyes, her long, black dress billowing only slightly.

The guard looked at me suspiciously. As he should. “Yes.”

Good. “Then you’re willing to do anything to get me.”

“Yes.”

I winced as more broils sprouted all over my skin. Kenric clutched me tighter.

“Let them go.” I paused for emphasis. “Let them go into the forest and I’ll come with you.”

“No, no Tempest no.” Kenric whispered into my ear. “They’ll kill you.”

“Trust me.” At that moment, my skin decided to flare up again. I gasped in agony and doubled over. 

Kenric crouched with me. “You’re going to die!”

I already knew that. But he had to believe that I thought that I would survive, or he would never let me go. “Trust me.” I managed to hiss out from between my teeth.

I lifted my eyes, but remained on the ground. The pain was all but unbearable. The guards' masked eyes met mine. “You’re lying.”

I chuckled, “You really think I could escape?”

The guard gave me a once over, then nodded to the guard next to him. The humongous man, easily the largest in the group, grabbed Kenric and pulled him away from me. I collapsed to the ground without the support of Kenric’s arm and let out a small cry of pain.

The blade at Asterias throat was slowly pulled away from it, but the guard still kept a hard grip on her. Kenric kicked and punched at the men restraining him`, but they didn’t flinch. The main guard was still addressing me, “If your friends do not want to be free, we will happily lock them up in the dungeons.”

“Then you won’t get me.” I tensed up again as my skin lit on invisible fire. My eyes were still open though. I saw as the guards pushed the needle with the sedative, which was meant for me, into Asteria and Kenric’s necks. Asteria relaxed almost immediately, but Kenric remained tense, kicking and punching weakly as the sedative spread through his body. His piercing blue eyes looked at me just before they closed. The guards hauled them off. I had to hope that they would keep their word.

The lead guard scooped me up with rough hands, intentionally grabbing me with more force than needed. I allowed myself to scream as his hands brushed across my burning skin, they felt like gasoline to my skin's flame. My heart stuttered. I closed my eyes and thought for just a few moments. I thought of Asteria and all of the nights we had together, all of the gossip and the horseback rides. I thought of my mother, how she looked into my eyes just before she died. I thought of my father, looking at me one last time before the king hauled me away. I thought of my training, of how I turned into an assassin. I thought of the king, cruel and cold. I realized now that Kenric was right, I had always just been his little, perfect, porcelain toy. I thought of my victims, too many to count. I said a silent apology to them, assuring them that I would get what I deserved. And then, I thought of Kenric. I thought of his beautiful blue eyes, his prominent dimples. I thought of his mop of blonde hair and the way his lips felt when they brushed mine. I thought of the endless conversations we’d had. And I thought of the promise I had made to him just a short hour ago…

“Promise me you wont give up, ok? Promise me you won't just die.” 

I mumbled an agreement

My eyes flashed open as I came to two realizations I should have come to hours ago. 

I didn’t wanna die.

And I had a knife.

I pulled the knife out of the hidden pocket in my tights noiselessly, wincing from the pain. I muttered something random to get the guards attention. 

The guard looked down at me. “What?”

“You forgot who I am.” I cut a slice across my hand. “I’m not a silly little girl you can push around. I’m the Phoenix.”

I pressed my bleeding hand to his open mouth. 

He screamed and dropped me to the ground, but this time I didn’t scream. I sighed in relief. All of the magic clotted up in my blood had made him disintegrate in seconds. I sprang to my feet as the blisters and boils covering my skin began to mend, my supposed immunity to my blood kicking into action. New energy surged through me, as it usually did after I used my magic. The two other guards left were looking between me and the pile of ash at my feet. Before they could react, I launched for the guard on my left. The deft moves of a trained assassin had the guard on the ground in second. A cut on my wrist, blood in his mouth, and he was just a second pile of ash. A sharp pain stung my lower back and I turned around to see a knife had grazed my side. The third guard looked at me with terror and began running the other way. I growled in anger and sliced another cut on my palm. Another pile of ash appeared at my feet.

Before I could continue, though, I had to do something. I grabbed my knife, steeled my nerves and stabbed it into the metal contraption in my shoulder blade. I grimaced as the thing shut down, slowly letting go of my muscles and flesh. I pulled it out carefully and looked at it in my hand. They would never find me. I cast it to the ground, triumphant. 

I turned on my heel and dashed down the hall, following the way I thought the guards had brought Kenric and Asteria. I laughed in exaltation. The pain I had known for so long was gone, the only hunger I knew was the growling of my stomach. I could see my hair bouncing at my side again, its fiery sheen back. I emerged into the cold night, then stopped abruptly. A group of people made me slink back into the shadows before they could notice me.

I recognised the first person immediately and gave a low growl of anger. Grother was standing there, flaked by at least five guards, maybe six. He wore his Kenric bio suit. He looked down at Kenric, who was kneeled before him, his head bowed so that I could only see his mop of blonde hair. But that was not nearly as surprising as seeing the man who was holding Asterias shoulder.

The king stood over his daughter, looking down on Kenric with disgust. Asteria looked at her feet, a defeated look on her face. I noticed she would not look at Kenric. 

The king scoffed, “So this is the scoundrel who is withholding information from you. And now he has kidnapped my daughter…”

Asterias head whipped up, “He didn’t-“

The king looked at her as if she were a little puppy who just saw its reflection, “Yes, he did. You’re just confused.”

Asteria wouldn’t take it though. She opened her mouth to respond, but King Cadmael just patted her shoulder, “Honey, why don't you let the men talk?” 

Before she could respond, one of the guards pulled her back. She was quiet after that. I wanted to punch his face in. Grother turned to face Cadmael. “We need this information. But we have nothing to provoke him with. Not after I ordered my guards to shoot that assassin. I should have kept her as a bargaining tool.”

Grother flinched. Kenric roared and sprung to his feet, swinging wildly at Grother and landing a punch. Grother held his nose as two guards ran to restrain Kenric. Kenric shook with fury and it took everything in me not to run to his side. Kenric looked Grother in the eyes, “You’ll die for that.” He spit.

Grother shook his head, “It wasn’t quick, let me tell you that. Whatever magic was inside her was killing her.” He paused, looking pointedly at Kenric though the conversation was between him and Cadmael. “The gunshot was a mercy.” He feigned regret. “A pity, really. Wasteful.”

Kenric shouted foul things at Grother and Cadmael and struggled against the two guards. Asteria looked at her father, horrified, as if he could do something to bring me back. I bit my lip to keep from running over there.

Cadmael shrugged, “A waste, sure. But unimportant.” I frowned. “How are we going to get the information out of the little impersonator?”

Grother smiled. “I have an idea.”

On cue, a guard carried out a syringe filled with oddly colored pink liquid. Kenric stiffened, but didn’t say anything. I decided then and there that pink was my least favorite color.

“What is that?” Cadmael inquired.

“Pain.” Grother answered, as if he were answering a question on where the keys were. “Pure pain in a shot.” Now, he walked over to Kenric, whose head was bowed. “Now, fake-Kenric, this is a shot which contains a stimulus. It is estimated to be over ten times more painful than the most painful electric pulse we’ve sent through you.” Kenric didn’t move a muscle. “Tell us the location of the vault or we will use it on you. If you tell us, you’re free to go. You could settle down, get married, maybe have some kids. But, if you don’t,” Grother fingered the syringe. “-it all ends here.”

Kenric lifted his head to look Grother dead in the eye. “Bring it on.”

Grother smiled, “Well, you asked for it.”

He lifted the syringe…

Then was ripped back by something small but strong. I was on top of Grother in a split second, tossing the syringe aside and using my knife to stab him in the heart, then slather my blood across the wound. I pulled a small locket from his pocket and clutched the small picture of my mother. I wound the chain around my neck, then  turned around to see Asteria being whisked away. But, before they could move her, she kicked one in the kidney and the other in the back of the knees. She was on top of the one she kicked in the knees in a second, jabbing at him. I smiled to myself. Then, I turned to face Kenric. Instead of seeing him looking at me with those piercing blue eyes, I saw him collapse to the ground, twitching and groaning in pain. I sucked in a breath. My intervention had done nothing. I launched myself for the guard holding the syringe first, but they all ganged up on me at once. I smiled with maniacal pleasure. 

The first one came at me. I jabbed at his trachea and then sliced his throat, causing him to collapse to the ground. I stabbed a cut across my forearm and pressed it to his mouth.

The other two came at me at the same time. For a few moments, I leapt out of their way, my movements graceful like a cats, but then I turned into a vicious lion. They were both pails of ash at my feet in seconds.

Then, the screaming started. Kenric yelled from his spot on the ground, convulsing sporadically. I dropped to his side. “Kenric,” I attempted to while the sweat from his brow. “Kenric it's me. I’m ok. I came back for you. You have to stay for me.”

Kenric’s eyes opened a tiny bit. “Tempest.” He groaned and rolled over onto his stomach. “Tempest it hurts too bad. Please, please just kill me now.” He cried in pain. “Please!” he shouted.

And I should have. I should have done it for him. Even just a stab to the heart, a slice across his throat. But I could never. “You see, I’m too selfish for that.”

Kenric groaned, “I know.”

I heard footsteps. I whipped around, ready to kill anyone. Asteria was walking towards me, pressing a blade she must have stolen from a guard to someone’s throat. As they got close, I could make out Cadmael, her father’s, face. 

“What do you want to do with him?” Asteria asked casually.

Cadmael opened his mouth. “Please, please…”

Asteria turned to him and glared, “Shush now. The women are talking.”

I gave him a cold once-over. He would not meet my eyes. Kenric shouted in pain behind me. My voice was layered with ice when I spoke. “Do you see what you've done? You could have stopped all of this! One word. You are the king.” I cocked my head. “But I’ll let her choose. She knows the options.” I smirked, cold and angry. “Allow him to go or allow him to die.”

She considered it for a moment, looking at her father. her father looked at her with pleading eyes, begging her to let him go. I appreciated the irony of the moment. Then, she dropped her knife. “Go. But never look for me. Tell everyone I was killed, along with Kenric and Tempest. Never come trying to find me, hoping for open arms.” She stepped away from him. “You had your chance. You blew it. The next time I see you, whatever the circumstances, I will kill you.”

Cadmael hurried away without another glance, disappearing into the dark. Asteria slumped just as Kenric let out another horrible scream and twitched behind me. 

Before I could say anything, Asteria ran up to me and hugged me. I melted into her arms. “I can’t believe you came for me.”

She scoffed. “You really think I believed charade you put on at your house? I’m not stupid.”

I nodded and pulled away. “Do you have Mellow?”

“Yes, she’s in the woods.”

“Get her and meet me back here.”

She turned to go but before she could, I caught her arm. “Did Slayer come back to the palace?”

“No.”

I smiled and let go of her arm. She dashed away into the night. I knelt down by Kenric again, taking his hand in mine. I lifted my head up and put my other hand in my mouth, letting out a long, shrill whistle. For a few seconds, I heard nothing but the sound of the wind blowing through the trees and Kenric’s grunts. But then, out of the darkness, I heard pounding hooves. Slayer came to a stop at my side, a look of pure exaltation gleaming in his eyes. I patted his gray-blue flank. “How you doing, bud?” I whispered into his salt-and-pepper mane. 

He winnied in response as I knelt back down towards Kenric. I turned him over lightly and repeated the same process with his tracker that I had with mine, throwing it out of the way. “Kenric.” I whispered. His eyes peeled open, his face contorted in agony.  “Kenric, I have to move you.” I repeated the phrase he had told me only hours ago. “Promise me you won’t give up, ok?” He inclined his head in the slightest way. I pressed my lips to his, gently, carefully.

He gave a little grimace, and then closed his eyes. I wrapped my arms under his armpits, then whistled for Slayer to lay down. Kenric was heavy and I was weaker than usual, But I managed to lift him. He cried out, but didn’t writhe in my grasp. I set him lightly on the horse, then hopped on behind him just as Asteria came rolling up on Mellow. 

“Into the forest, follow our trail.” I called to her as Slayer stood up.  His muscles tensed under me as Asteria nodded. I awkwardly grabbed the reins while keeping Kenric’s slumped form from falling off the horse. His breathing was sporadic and his screams more frequent. It was getting worse. I leaned as close as I could to Slayers ear without leaning on Kenric and whispered, “Run.”

We shot forward, his pace faster than we had ever run before. Kenric sucked in a breath or hissed in pain each time we jostled, but I could tell that he was trying to keep quiet as we rode into the night. We ran past trees and cliffs, over logs, and through streams without missing a beat. I couldn’t be sure if it was only minutes or hours, I just knew that we had to keep going. Had to get as far away from the palace as possible. When Slayer started panting and slowing under me, I knew we had gone far enough that Cadmael would not find us tonight. I slowed him when we reached a small clearing with a brook running through. I hopped off Slayers back as he obediently laid down for me to haul Kenric off. I laid him gingerly on the ground and he groaned in pain, rolling onto his side. In the starlight I could see the sheen of sweat on his forehead. I stood up and moved over to Slayer, who was panting and sweaty. I patted his neck and reached backwards, happy to find my saddle bag still on his back. I reached through rotten foods and pulled out a small, tightly folded blanket. I laid it gingerly over Kenric, providing him a thin shield from the biting cold. I shivered, but nonetheless I sat down next to him and hugged my knees to my chest. Judging from the thin light that broke through the stars, I could deduce that we had been running for an hour or so. It would be several until I saw Asteria again. That gave me nothing to do but sit and wait. Even when the sun rose, it was dark and gloomy. Fitting.

Minutes or hours passed, I didn’t know. I could see that Kenric was doing his best to keep quiet, but every now and then he would scream, long and horrible. At those moments, all I could do was hold his hand and whisper sweet nothings, knowing I could do nothing to help him. Well, almost nothing. But I refused to grant him that wish. I never took my eyes off him, worried that if I blinked or if I looked away, he would stop breathing.

During one of his bouts of pain, he screamed louder than before. I squinched my eyes closed and whispered nonsense like ‘You’ll be ok’ and ‘It’s ok.’ I almost scoffed at my ridiculousness. I was sure that, if he could, Kenric would yell at me to be quiet. But I felt useless just sitting here. Then, abruptly, his screaming faded into nothing. I opened my eyes. For the first time in hours, Kenric was completely still.

I leaned over him, “Oh my God.” I looked into his face, his eyes closed, his chest still. “No. No. Oh my… no!” I wrapped myself around him, tears leaking from my eyes. I should have just killed him when it started. It would have saved him from so, so much pain. Grother had killed him. He had tortured Kenric for information that went to his grave with him. Grother had killed him for nothing. I yelled into Kenric’s lifeless body, having no other way to express my utter outrage. I should have drawn out Grother’s death longer, slowly torn him to pieces. I should have spread my blood all over him, drip by drip. I screamed again.

Then, Kenric moved under me.

I instinctively scrambled back, allowing him to go crashing to the ground. Kenric took in a stuttering breath, then another. Another. Another. His breathing evened out with each intake of air. “Kenric?” I asked feebly.

“Yeah?” Kenric answered, his voice shaky.

“You good?” The words left my mouth before I could think about them.

He laughed, “Yeah, I’m good.”

I rushed to his side. “I thought you were dead.” I punched him in the arm lightly. “Why would you do that?”

He scoffed, his brilliant blue eyes focused on me. “I’m sorry, I’ll think about that next time I decide to stop breathing.”

“You do that.”

He sat up slowly, grimacing in pain. I wrapped my arm around him, helping him up. We suddenly found ourselves close, his breath tingling my skin. 

He smiled, “So, about that ki-”

I pressed my lips to his before he could finish. This time, he kissed me back. It was no longer a promise, it was a reality. He pulled away after a minute, still holding me close. “You got your locket back.”

I laughed, “Yeah.” That was when the small amount of sunlight that we had caught his hair. His beautiful blonde hair was gone, replaced by a shock of silver hair. I laughed and moved back. “Your hair!”

“What?”

“It’s silver!”

“Oh, well that’s… interesting.” He frowned. “Why?”

“I’ve heard that high levels of stress can accelerate the aging process.”

He laughed. “It’s like a momento.”

I shook my head. “It’s like a scar.”

“Is it an ugly scar?”

“No.”

“Well, then, if nothing else, I got a hot scar.”

I chuckled lightly as hooves pounded into the clearing. Mellow was panting so hard that I was sure she was about to drop dead. Asteria hopped off of Mellow lightly. She looked at Kenric with cautious eyes. She turned to me. “So… who is he?”

I laughed, “My target.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Why in the world is he still alive?”

He smiled. “I’d say it's because of my good looks and charms, but that would be a lie.”

Asteria still looked at him with suspicious eyes, but her gaze softened a little. “And why exactly are you so attached to him?”

I shrugged. “It’s very easy to bond with a person when you have nothing to do but talk to them.” I faked boredom. “Even if they’re annoying.”

He laughed again then winced, leaning heavily on me. I carefully laid him back on the ground. Asteria turned away for a moment, brushing her hair and eavesdropping. Kenric’s eyes closed as I watched the gentle sway of his hair in the wind. Little flecks of white landed on his eyelashes. I looked up to see that it was snowing. I groaned. I hated winter. “I hate the cold.” I looked at him quizzically. “You know, I could kill you at any moment.”

He scoffed, “I’m not exactly concerned, you refused to kill me when I begged, when you were starving, so why would you do it now?”

I shrugged, “Don’t make me mad.”

He laughed a little, then his face sobered up. His eyes opened just a crack. “You know, I’m really glad they didn’t kill you. When Grother said he ordered them to shoot you,” He shuddered, but not from the cold. “I can’t explain what I felt.”

I remembered the syringe glinting in the cool moonlight. I remembered the guards walking to my cell without Kenric. “I think I understand.”

He nodded and his eyes closed again. Within a minute, he was snoring softly. I moved over to Asteria quietly. As soon as I got close enough, she gave me a patronizing look, “How come you get captured and come out with a hot boyfriend? I’m a princess after all!”

Laughter bubbled up from between my lips. “That ‘hot boyfriend’ is your cousin! Well, adopted cousin to be fair. He’s the child of your father’s adopted brother.” Her shock was enough to make me laugh, but instead I frowned. “And as for the princess thing, you may not be one anymore.” I paused, thinking. “You know, you could still go back. I’m sure your father would welcome you with open arms.”

She scoffed, “And leave you here with weirdo? I don't think so.” She stared at him with hard eyes. “He’s a little shady.”

“Are you sure your jealousy is not clouding your vision?”

“Yes.”

We sat down quietly. “You really could go back to Cadmael though. I’m sure Kenric and I could survive on our own. Live outside the law, you know?”

She shook her head. “We’ve always wanted to run away, live like two fairytale princesses in the woods. Now we finally have the chance.” She glared at Kenric again. “Even if we have that annoying third wheel tagging along.”

I smiled. “You truly are a jealous person.”

She sighed, “I know.” She paused for a minute. “I should have killed my dad when I had the chance.”

“You couldn’t. I understand.”

She glared at me, “You know, if he finds you, he’ll never let you live.”

I smirked. “I wasn’t planning on asking his permission.”