By The Rain | Teen Ink

By The Rain

By AwesomeAut52 BRONZE, Durango, Colorado
AwesomeAut52 BRONZE, Durango, Colorado

What is life if not informative?

Author's note:

This piece is a dystopian short story. 

I was cold. No not cold in the physical way, cold in the numb one, the one that makes you feel like “I don’t understand the point anymore”. Why am I feeling this way? It probably has something to do with the situation I’m in, yes I’m in one of those dystopian situations that everyone reads about or watches in movies. Except this one is real. Let's flashback for a second. It all starts with a man named Ivan White…

Sometimes I wished I was the only man alive, what was the point of all these people? That's why I created the super bacteria, the infection that swept the world of the poor helpless peasants, I started my plan with a chip that was free with it came a million dollars, a chip that had to cut the skin on the top of the hand to be inserted into the skin, I made sure bandaids weren’t issued to patients, I had a mega-sale day, a day where everyone got the day off of work, and I made it rain at exactly 3:00 PM, the government has been manufacturing rain storms for years, all it took was a little money to a senator and I could have a rain storm at 3:00 PM, little did that snot know I had a connection that worked on the CLOUD and I had my connection (a very well funded one) insert a little thing I like to call “The Super Bacteria” into the water of the CLOUD, something I obtained from my other well-funded connection at the HIR that experimented with these kinds of things, when it rained the water went into the people’s wounds from the chip infecting them with a bacteria resistant to all antibiotics a bacteria that kills in mere hours a bacteria that once in the body of a human is living on them making any person who comes into contact with an infected dead the irony to this is that I have a weak immune system meaning if I were to be infected I would die within seconds which obvsiouly I wouldn’t, of course I didn’t at the time want to be the only one left on earth so I had the most wealthy people pay good money to live in my underground city I called Eden, they also had the resistant shield installed in their own chips, so that the only way an Edenite could get infected was by the rain, now thats what I call a perfect plan by me Ivan White. 

The narcissist elite created this whole mess the only way I survived was because of a chip malfunction, somehow I got the benefits of an Edenite, I remember the day of the mega-sale like it was yesterday, the next day Ivan White came on TV, and laughed saying “This world was never meant to support a bacteria, the only way to cure it is to kill the bacteria with bacteria” it was at that time everyone realized why the world was dying around us. 

Of course, I didn’t always want to be surrounded by people so I created a fail safe, the tower where everyone's shield could be turned off, and I could be the only person alive in sweet peace without the grating noise of people talking or laughing, the noise that only reminded me of a time I was happy before my daughter died of cancer, the plague caused by the plague of people.

So yes, I do have a plan to end this whole thing, if Ivan White wanted to end the human population I would deliver to him what he wanted, just to see the look on his face when a dirty peasant outsmarts him. I am sitting under a balcony of an old coffee shop, holding a bottle of what used to be face wash, I had a plan for this bottle. People explained me as impulsive and average in looks with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes, I was on the debate team before this miserable world came to an end, so maybe I was being impulsive with my decision. Did I really want to kill all mankind to kill Ivan White? Was it worth it? My parents did name me Evanee for a reason, it meant fighter and that's what I would do I would fight for the injustice that Ivan White had committed to humanity. I looked around and saw a desolate city that used to be beautiful, I prepared myself for my necessary action. I ran out into the rain with my bottle of what used to be because that's all the earth is now, what used to be. I slipped and fell cutting my palm against the concrete that was overflowing with bacteria-infected water. I stuck the bottle out and watched as the water filled it and I smiled to myself “Have a taste of your own medicine Ivan”. 

I was often described as attractive in a business kind of way, this gave me the charm I needed to put my plan into action. The Edenites trusted me because I told them what they wanted to hear that this earth was a host and the poor are the bacteria and in order to rid the earth of bacteria we have to use it. I was going to say as much when I went out on the town tonight. Everyone was dressed elegantly ready to get some of the food I had been storing up for over 20 years, everyone thought that world hunger was a problem because of food shortages but for people like me the problem of food shortages didn’t exist, the city of Eden was beautiful as an underground city could be with gold buildings and diamond ceilings, I even had an artificial sky installed it was like heaven with fewer people in the city, soon there would be no people and I would be in absolute paradise. 

I was dying and I knew it, lucky for me I was only within a 5-minute walking distance of Eden and the tower, for all of Ivan’s smarts I can’t believe he didn’t put the tower inside his underground complex. It took forever in the state I was in I could feel the symptoms of pain, trouble breathing, nausea, and rashes, I knew I only had a few hours left, I climbed slowly to the top of the tower, the tower was ugly and could be summed up as boxes stacked 50 stories high, and of course, I had to get to the top. I finally got there breathing heavily and I unplugged the generator and switched every switch off. I then climbed back down and made my way to Eden with the bottle stuffed in my tattered purple sweatshirt, the entrance to Eden was at the base of a huge business corporation of course the one Ivan owned. I scanned my chip knowing full well that my chip would allow me entrance and I walked through the titanium doors. Eden was the fanciest place I had ever seen with gold buildings and an artificial sky with a sun made of gold and the blue made of sapphire, I didn’t care all I wanted was the water tank. I was being stared at by people dressed in gold lace dresses and silver lace suits, but I didn't care I continued and found the water tank at the lowest level of the city, it was disgusting even the water tank was made of diamond I unscrewed the top and added my bottles content. I then felt it I knew this was it. My final thoughts are “Drink thine medicine”. 

People were dying. This is too soon not yet! Everyone had rashes and I knew it was the bacteria, how did it get here, was the tower disabled? I made my way to the surveillance system and found a dead security guard, I pushed him aside and checked the camera, there I saw this teen girl turning the generator in the tower off and spilling a bottle into the water system, then I knew. I was dying, not really I made sure my chip wasn’t in the tower but on my person, I was dying without humans, the thing I thought I would never say. I knew that this was it I couldn’t live without the love of another person so I flipped the switch on my remote. Placed a cut on the top of my hand with my gold knife and ran out into the rain, I then heard a scream it was a child crying “Mama”! That was the last thing I heard before I died as everyone else had by the rain.