The Governments Monsters | Teen Ink

The Governments Monsters

By sfischer2 BRONZE, Bergen County, New Jersey
sfischer2 BRONZE, Bergen County, New Jersey

Author's note:

This piece was inspired by my teacher because she gave us a writing prompt to take something from our life and put a huge twist on it. 

Mica

Every month the government sends a group of kids on a camping trip, nobody knows where they go, and no kids have ever come back. Every day I worry, is something bad going to happen, and why has no one returned? Will I ever go home? Will I ever see my family again?  This month I got chosen along with my cousin Brayden, friend Emiko, and ex-best friend Jay. Some people from the government had come and ripped us away from our families and put us on a mountain in the middle of nowhere. We move around the mountain constantly to stay safe. We think we have 2 or 3 days left before we go home, but who knows? We have tried to escape, but this mountain is surrounded by water, that is so deep a giraffe couldn’t have been able to stand.  All we see in the distance is water and a sliver hope we’ve been grasping on to since day 1. We always wonder why nobody has returned because life has been relatively easy considering we were given all the supplies we need to survive. The main thing we do to pass time is play monsters, the game monsters comes from a show we used to watch where kids would fight monsters. The actors were always so amazing and the graphics always looked so real, maybe a little too real. We all hope we can arrive home safely and beat the odds of surviving this trip, but fear is always watching us waiting to make its move. 

The morning after we moved to our new location, I yawn, “I’ll warm up some oatmeal over the fire.”

Once the oatmeal is ready I begin to say, “Everyone washes your hand then we can…”

“You forgot to find a stream nearby last night didn’t you?” Jay questions.

“Maybe bu--,”  I start.

“By the time we find one the foods going to be cold,” Jay interrupts complaining.

“I’ll stay with Emiko while you and Brayden find a stream,” I try to say as sternly as possible, I don’t feel like dealing with Jay again. I can’t believe I forgot to find a river! I’m supposed to be the leader.

Jay

“Come on let's go!” Brayden screams jumping on my back. So we grab a bucket and start wandering around trying to find a stream. 

“We reached the edge,” I examine, “Maybe if we climb down this ledge we can use this water?”

“Ok,” Brayden agrees, he begins to shimmy down the mountain and I join him. I feel a vibration coming from the dirt underneath us. But as soon as it starts it stops, so I think nothing of it.

“Can I carry it?”Brayden asks. Here we go again.

“No, it’s too heavy,” I reply keeping my voice firm.

“I’m strong!” 

“Fine,” I  give in, I hand the bucket to him trying to avoid an argument. We arrive back at the campsite Brayden behind me dragging the water that is obviously too heavy for him.

“Took you long enough,” Mica says handing me my bowl. Why is she like this? Once we finish our breakfast we clean up and decide to play monsters. 

Mica

We all grab our sticks ready to fight. Brayden lashes out first smashing a fake monster. I join in pretending to help Brayden defeat this fake monster.  But our game gets interrupted when the ground starts to shake from underneath us and newly fallen leaves start bouncing up and down.

“Guys?” Jay asks, “Do you feel that?

“Yes,” Emiko responds quietly, “What is it?” I start to examine what’s going on. A loud alarm starts blaring in our ears, louder than any noise I’ve ever heard.

“What is going on!?” I yell over all the noise.

“This sounds like the alarm for the monster show!” Brayden screams. That’s crazy! That can’t be true. I need to see my family again…

A static sound takes over the blaring alarm. My head rings replaying the sound of the alarm over and over again.

-Welcome contestants, you are going to be on the 48th episode of Monsters. If you lose to the monsters you…, well you know.-

I begin to look around trying to figure out where this sound is coming from. My hands begin to shake and I manage to ask, “Who are you!?”

-Mark Bay- 

Where is this announcement coming from?! Why does this name sound so familiar? How can he hear me?  I gasp when I realize who this is. This is President Mark Bay! Why is he doing this?

-The monsters will be released in 3, 2, 1… Good luck!-

We all stand back to back grasping our sticks for life. Are there really monsters trying to fight us! Is this how my life is going to end? Won’t people recognize us? My breath starts to quicken as the ground starts to shake harder than before. Fear starts to overwhelm me like a wave washing over sand. I glance over at Emiko who is shaking and her eyes start filling with tears. I then glance at Brayden and he looks confused as he starts to step behind Jay. Jay and I lock eyes and a pained expression washes over his face,  his green eyes that used to hold bravery fade into a dull empty space. I’m sucked back into reality when the shaking stops. Then something horrible happens, a monster comes.

Jay

Mica and I lock eyes as Brayden starts to hide behind me with fear. Her blue eyes dance with electricity and knowledge, yet tears threaten to spill like a waterfall over a mountainside. Ever since my dad and I had to move across town Mica has been avoiding me and making rude comments. I know it’s not my fault but it feels that way sometimes. Something horrifying comes into my vision, I become paralyzed with fear. A monster around 5 feet tall comes barreling towards us.

“Make it stop!” Brayden cries, grabbing onto me with all his might. Sometimes I forget Brayden is only seven years old. The monster comes to stop and seems to scan us with his three green beady eyes. The monster’s black fur is covered in green goo and his mouth starts to foam. 

“I can do this,” I convince myself under my breath. That’s when I make my move. As I run towards the monster, life feels like slow motion. Every thump when my feet hit the ground vibrates through my bones forcing me forward. My hands make contact with its black greasy fur smashing it in the chest, but I bounce right off. I look up and the monster doesn’t even seem fazed. This is going to be harder than I thought. Mica hurries to my side to help me up.

“I don’t need your help,” I say standing up on my own. I glance back and see Emko and Brayden hiding behind a boulder. Mica grabs her stick and pokes the monster in one of its gleaming eyes. That just makes this situation worse. I kick the monster in its side causing it to turn my way, purple ooze drips from where its eye was punctured.  I punch it in the face not knowing what else to do. The monster licks its lips and begins to jump at me. I become paralyzed with fear again. Am I going to die? I don’t want to leave this world yet. Mica pulls the monster's tail just before it reaches me. That was a bad idea, the monster charges at her and begins chasing her around the mountain. Mica is fast, but I don’t think she can maintain this speed for much longer. 

Mica

Jay freezes with fear, the monster starts to charge at him. I do the first thing that comes to mind, I pull the monster’s tail. It turns towards me. 

I only hear one word before I make my next move, “Run!” And I do. 

All those years of track finally pay off. 

I run. 

I don’t look back.

I run.

I reach the edge of the mountain, my knees buckle beneath me. I can do this. I slowly rise to my knees, aches spread throughout my body. The monster drags its paw back on forth across the muddy ground, waiting for me to make my move. I rise to my feet grabbing the nearest stick. I can do this myself. I hold the pointy end of the stick towards the monster like a spear. The stick makes contact with the monster second eye puncturing it. Purple ooze comes squirting out.  A rock comes out of nowhere knocking the monster in the head.

“Mica!” Jay runs over. I didn’t need his help. I bring my stick down one last time and the monster explodes into dust.

“Say thank you,” I command Jay, without me, he would be dead.

“You should be the one saying thank you,” Jay argues. I guess he’s right… 

Before I can say anything I hear Brayden and Emiko screaming. Jay and I look at each other and run.  A wave of horror washes over my face when we reach them. A red monster way bigger than the one before towers over us. A giant fist reaches down and grabs me into the air. It begins squeezing tighter and tighter. I’m not going to give up. I begin to thrash and punch the monster’s hand the best I can. I look down and notice everyone in a huddle. What are they doing?  I’m dying and they’re having a conversation. They break apart and start throwing rocks at the monster. The monster begins to shriek and drops me to the ground. 

“You ok?” Jay asks me worriedly. 

“I’m fine,” I respond not taking my eyes off the monster, “We need to destroy this monster as a team.” Jay tells me the plan.

Jay

“You ok?” I ask Mica wondering if she got injured.

“I’m fine,” She responds eyeing the monster, “We need to destroy this monster as a team.” So I tell her the plan. 

“Ready!?” I yell.

“Ready!” Everyone yells back. We charge at the monster throwing rocks and sticks, watching each other’s moves, and falling into a rhythm. The monster soon explodes into dust. That’s when the third and final monster shows up.  The monster is neon yellow with two large fangs dripping with light green poison. I raise my stick like a sword and try to slice the monster in the leg, but the monster is too fast. We all alternate trying to weaken the monster. Emiko throws a rock right at the monster’s knee cap. 

“Nice one!” I cheer encouraging her. Brayden breaks off one of the monster’s toenails causing it to hop on one foot. I charge at the monster’s other foot and crack a rock over it. Its foot cuts open and the same light green poison comes dripping out. I quickly move my hand away, but I was too late. The poison touches my skin. It burns. I fall to the ground. It goes numb. I can’t breathe. The world goes dark…

Mica

The color drains from Jay’s face. He’s poisoned. He falls to the ground gasping for air. I want to run over and see if he’s ok but I have to keep fighting this monster. I’ve been so rude to Jay lately, purposely bugging him and picking fights.  I always blamed him for moving and leaving me alone with no friends. I’ve been pushing him away when in reality all I wanted was to be with him again. I don’t want to lose him. Rage hits me like a boulder. I feel my hand curl into a fist. My heartbeat quickens and I rage forward. I punch the monster. You poisoned him. I punch again. You hurt him. I punch. You’re killing him. I punch. You’re ruining my life. I punch. Just go away. The monster explodes into the cool windy air. I use the rest of my strength and struggle over to Jay. I carefully grasp his limp body, cradle him in my arms, and cry. 

“You can do this Jay, you can survive. You have to…”

Emiko puts a hand on my shoulder, “Is he breathing?”

“Barely,” I whimper, “Can you please get water?” Brayden and Emiko go and grab the bucket of water we used during breakfast. I slide Jay to the crease of my elbow and use my other hand to open his mouth allowing Emiko to pour water into it. The water worked like magic, Jay’s olive skin returned to Its natural color. His eyes flutter open and he gasps for air. A wave of relief and emotion comes over me. 

My breath finally slows to a normal pace when we finish building our raft. We put our raft in the water and set sail. 

My foot touches the solid ground after hours of being on the water. We all hug realizing that we really made it through this. I know I should feel relieved that this is over, but where do we go from here? What’s next? How do we reveal this secret? A black limousine pulls up on the road next to where we are standing. I see the figure of a man wearing a navy suit and a red tie through the window. Emiko starts to tug me away from the limousin. The door opens with a click and out walks someone who I hate with all my might. Mark Bay. The guy who started this. I try to say something but it feels as though my voice doesn’t work.

“What do you want?” Jay asks stepping out from behind us, “First you send us on some camping trip, then you try and kill us with monsters for some show! Now you have the audacity to even step foot in front of us!” That’s the Jay I remember, always sticking up for people in times of need.

“I’m not trying to hurt you,” Mark Bay explains slyly.

“Than what do you want!?” Emiko asks. I never would have imagined that came out of Emiko, it was so loud, so different. She finally sounds in control.

“Leave us alone!” Brayden adds in. He’s so brave for only seven. What happens next I could not see coming.

“We sent you to die as you know” Mark Bay starts, “But you don’t know the reason.”

“For the stupid Monster Show!” I blurt out.

“No, that’s so we get a profit from your deaths,” Mark Bay continues, “We are overpopulated on this earth, so this was the way we chose to take action.”

“Why are you telling us this?” I ask my head spinning from this new information.

“Because you survived this, you proved you selves worthy,” Mark Bay says slowly, “I want you to join me in this mission. Will you join me?”