The Wormhole That Sucked The Life Out Of US | Teen Ink

The Wormhole That Sucked The Life Out Of US

[Nathan, Will, Mary and Phil are standing at the courtyard waiting for the bus to come. Mary’s putting on makeup while the other 3 boys play football. The bus comes and all of them get into the bus.]

Nathan: Our school never takes us to any place fun these days. Why should this one be any different, Phil?

Phil: Yeah. I don’t know what the school does for us these days with the new principal being bent on studies. We all heard her the other day. Right, Will?

Will: I heard a rumour the other day that our teachers begged the principal to take us somewhere fun, not to an education centre, even if it meant that the principal will take half their salaries for financing the trip.

Phil: Whaaaaaaat??? She really is evil, dude. Remind me after the trip to thank our teachers. I can’t imagine a worse principal than her. Do you know where they are taking us for the field trip, anyone?

[Mary mumbles something]

Will: Mary has something to tell us. Don’t you, Mary?

Mary: [angrily] Just because I mumbled doesn’t mean that I have something to tell you. As a matter of fact, while you were busy talking about how our principal is worse, they announced that we are going to the Natural History Museum.

Nathan, Will, Phil: Whaaaaaaat??? That’s supposed to be ultra cool!!

Mary: I already went a thousand times. I sleep every time I go there. Coz it’s so boring. I am here just because you three are here.

Will: Well, that’s something to look forward for. To the Natural History Museum and beyond!!

[The four remain silent till the end of the bus ride]

[Place: 100 feet from the Natural History Museum entrance]

Nathan, Will: Whoa! The place is huge! Seems like we can fit a whole neighbourhood.......

Phil: I wonder what is inside....

[Mary mumbles that sounds oddly like ‘Boys’]

Tour Guide: Welcome, children. I will be your tour guide this day. The Museum of Natural History is built to display all sorts of fossils and dinosaurs. [Smiles] I think you will all enjoy yourselves. Follow me!

[Place: The doorway of Natural History Museum]

Tour Guide: The museum is home to life and earth science specimens comprising some 80 million items within five main collections: botany, entomology, mineralogy, palaeontology and zoology. The museum is a centre of research specialising in taxonomy, identification and conservation. Given the age of the institution, many of the collections have great historical as well as scientific value, such as specimens collected by Charles Darwin.

Nathan: I don’t know understand any of these fancy terms. Do you?

Mary: Botany deals with study of plants while zoology deals with study of animals. Palaeontology is the study of fossils.

Will: Whoa! I don’t know that you were a know-it-all.

Phil: Knowing 2 or 3 fancy words doesn’t mean that she is a know-it-all, bro. Besides, she’s been here a thousand times right? She might as well accidentally paid attention. Right, Mary?

[They all walk towards a dinosaur fossil, with Mary fuming and Phil cooling her down while Will and Nathan start laughing]

Phil: If this dinosaur were alive, can you think what will happen to us right now?

Will: “I’m the T-Rex dinosaur! I will eat you all! Rawwr!!”

[Everybody start laughing, including Mary. Then the colour in her face drains as she sees something strange that looks oddly like a wormhole from the Avengers movie.]

Mary: Guys, does that look like it can ruin my makeup?

Nathan: [scared] It may even ruin our life! Run!

[All four of them run but the wormhole is faster and sucks all of them up.]

[They end up in a landscape which is so horrible that they don’t even know what it is.]

Mary: [now potentially horrible] Guys, tell me the truth. Where’s the waxed floor beneath our feet? Is my makeup spoiled? Is my hair still in curls?

Phil: [physically shouting and ready to fight on this comment] What?! Is that what you think?! We don’t even know where we are and you are worried about your appearance!!

[Nathan looks horrifying and is now pointing to what looks like an animal]

Nathan: Guys, can any one of you tell me what that gigantic looking thing is?

Phil: It’s a freakin’ dinosaur! Run!

[Zoom on the dinosaur’s face]

[The four teens start running as fast as their legs can]

All in chorus: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Run!

[The dinosaur gains speed and now within 100 feet of them]

Nathan: It’s right behind us! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Run!

Will: Have you guys ever seen a dinosaur?! With skin on it?! It’s not possible, is it?

Nathan, Phil, Mary: SHUT UP!

[After a few minutes of sweat-gaining running, the dinosaur gets another prey on the way and leaves the teens alone]

[The teens too stop after this]

Nathan: Question. Where are we? And what is a freakin’ dinosaur doing here?

Phil: Nobody has seen a dinosaur with skin for the last couple million years, bro! We’re just as surprised as you are.

Mary: Phew! I thought we were goners.

Phil: I say we gather whatever we can and make camp. If there are creatures like dinos here then we need a weapon. What can we salvage here?

[They all look around. Nothing’s present as far as the eye can see, not even a twig.]

Phil: Well, Plan B. What do we have in our bag?

Will: Let’s see. A few brochures, 4 juice boxes, and 2 sandwiches and a useless phone.

Nathan: 2 sandwiches, a juice box and a brochure.

Mary: Perfume, talcum powder, makeup cream and a sandwich, with a plastic knife to cut.

Phil: [surprised] You had all this in your bag, Mary? Didn’t expect this.

Will: The sandwiches and juice boxes are on a ration. We don’t know how long we will be trapped here for.

[Nathan’s face suddenly lights]

Nathan: Give me your phone, Will and your knife and perfume, Mary.

Phil: Hold on, bro. What are you going to do?

Nathan: I just hope that the knife pierces the battery inside the phone. If it does then with one or 2 brochures and Mary’s perfume, we’ll have a fire.

Will: Whaaaaaaat? That’s my phone!

Nathan: You said it was useless, right? So let’s make it useful.

Phil: Wait a minute. Now a fire’s not needed. When we need, we’ll make a fire. Besides, we can’t make a fire with all these things, can we?

Nathan: Inside every phone is a lithium ion battery. When a sharp object pierces the battery, it explodes and catches fire. The brochure is paper, so it will burn. Perfumes mostly contain alcohol, which is highly flammable. So we have a fire.

Mary: I thought that I’ll be sleeping on a nice, fuzzy bed. Now I have nothing to sleep on except the land.

Phil: Really, Mary! We’re fighting for our lives here! Think rationally, Mary!

Will: Well, all I can say is that we can use our bags like a pillow.

Phil: [silently] Wish I can Disapparate.

Nathan: Me too.

Will: Are you Harry Potter avid readers? Me too guys.

Mary: Can anybody of you figure out how to get out of this desolate, idiotic, makeup ruining land? Or else so help me, I will tear you apart! Thank you!

[So saying, she sleeps and angrily mumbles]

Phil: [silently to the other boys] Whoa, she’s got a real bad temper. Warning: Do not go near Mary in life-threatening situations.

[So saying, everybody falls silent. After a few hours, Nathan lights the fire and all of them sleep]

[Time: Next day sunrise]

[Will is the first to get up out of his so-called “bed”]

Will: Top of the morning to you guys!

[Everyone gets up hastily after this remark. Since there is no water, no toothpaste, and no toothbrush, the teens just get up and after sometime, split a sandwich into 4 parts and ate.]

Phil: Well, we can say that the dinosaur situation has definitely put us on guard.

Will: What? That is definitely not related to what... You know what? Never mind.

[Then Nathan spots something]

Nathan: Can anyone guess what that thing is?

[He points to that thing, which is getting closer by the minute]

Phil: Wait a minute. I can see the Natural History Museum inside it. But what is it?

[Then it comes much closer.]

Will: Guys, I think it’s our only chance at going home. I think that this is the thing that sucked us out of the museum.

Mary: Then run towards it. Come on!!

[At first they hesitate. Then they see their friends. Emboldened, all four teens run towards to it. At the moment when they and the wormhole are about to collide, there is whiteness and a blinding light. The next moment, the teens were seen standing near the same dinosaur statue from where they were pulled. The only thing that seemed to have changed is that they were all dirty.]

[Nathan now has a curious thought and runs to the tour guide]

Nathan: Excuse me, but what is the date today?

Tour Guide: [Clearly nonplussed] It’s August 27th 2013. Why do you ask?

[Nathan, now nonplussed, runs to the others.]

Nathan: [to the others] It’s the same date when the wormhole sucked us in.

Will: But that’s impossible. We spent a whole day of torture there!

Nathan: Let’s take this matter to my mom. She might know what happened.

[So, they act natural till the end of the trip. After going home, all the four get fresh and then run over to Nathan’s house. His mom, Mrs. Parker, was a scientist and works for the British Government. After seeing them she hugs all of them and hurries them inside.]

[Time: 4 pm]

Mrs. Parker: [speaking so fast] So, straight to the topic. What you experienced are ripples in the space-time continuum and according to the Special Theory of Relativity, time is relative....

Will: [interrupting] Excuse me, Mrs. Parker, but can you by any chance explain it in English?

Mrs. Parker: You time-travelled against your will to billions of years ago. That’s why you saw a dinosaur. Einstein said that time runs according to where you are. So there it’s a day while it hasn’t changed a bit here. Actually, you are lucky the wormhole opened the next day itself. Some guys have stuck for whole years in other dimensions. But this all happens very rarely, of course.

Will: Oh, ok. Good.

Phil: What are the odds of the event happening?

Mrs. Parker: Usually, one in a billion. But in your case, it’s different. I don’t know why. But I do know that another portal from the same dimension is going to open here, in 30 minutes.

All teens in chorus: [Surprised] What?!!

Nathan: But Mom, if it comes here we can’t guarantee that there will be no damage to this dimensional planet.

Mrs. Parker: I have not thought of that outcome. But that’s right. I’ll try to inform the government as soon as I can.

[She takes her HT (more commonly known as walkie talkie) and starts communicating to the Secretary of Defence]

Mrs. Parker: This is Alpha Nerd speaking. There is a wormhole to appear in 30 minutes at the heart of London. I repeat, there is a wormhole to appear in 30 minutes at the heart of London.

Secretary of Defence: [from the HT] Roger that. [now seeming confused by the voice] Wait a minute. I got eyes in the sky, what they’re saying is there is a wormhole now. I repeat, there is a wormhole at the heart of London now!

Mrs. Parker: What?!! That’s not supposed to happen. I’ll come over there right away.

[So saying, she picks up her scooter keys and her helmet.]

Nathan: But the Secretary doesn’t know that something will happen to our world. So we’re coming too. Right, guys?

Will, Phil, Mary: YES, SIR!

Mrs. Parker: That’s my decision whether to allow Nathan to go, but what will your parents think of me, if I put you in harm’s way? Plus, I’m going there already. I can say the info to him directly.

Will: I don’t care, but I’m going, even if we get grounded. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Besides we’re teens. We know how to take care of ourselves. Right, guys?

Phil, Mary: YES, SIR!

Mrs. Parker: I’m definitely not going to allow you guys to come to something so dangerous that you can die.

All the teens in chorus: NO!!

[ So saying, Mrs. Parker just shuts the door on them and locks it outside]

Nathan: Wait a minute guys. I’ll get us out of here.

[ He brings out a set of lock picks and picks the door lock. In a few seconds, he is successful and opens the door. Seeing outside, Mrs. Parker was struggling with her scooter.]

Nathan: Mom, don’t go!

Mrs. Parker: How did you…..

Nathan: Just had a set of lock picks and picked the door.

Mrs. Parker: Oh. That explains how you get out and get in to trouble and I see you in a place where you are not supposed to be seen. Mary, remind me to ground him for a week afterwards.

Mary: Let’s get on with it! We need to go!

Mrs. Parker: All right, all right. Hop on in. The scooter doesn’t seem to go on.

[So saying, she keeps the scooter key and picks up her car key. The next minute she drives away her car with all the teens on board.]

[Time: 1630 hours][Place: Charing Cross]

Phil: Whoa! Now that’s an ugly dinosaur.

[Through the wormhole, 4 “ugly” dinosaurs that look like they came right from Godzilla entered. And When I say ugly, I mean ugly.]

[Somehow, the military was there too. Mary started talking to the Commander of the troop, while Mrs. Parker started with her computer to find out how to close this wormhole]

[The 4 “ugly” dinosaurs didn’t even care about these humans and started eating all the other humans]

Commander: [commandingly] So, we have an all-snipers team. I want you to aim for the vitals with the tranquilizers. After that, we blow it to bits on the base. Is that CLEAR?

Soldiers: YES, SIR!

Mrs. Parker: We need these dinosaurs to study them. We want it whole!

Mary: [shouting] SHUT UP!! [all the crowd goes silent] Both of you can’t control them! Tranq guns can’t control dinosaurs; they’re too heavy and tall! Even scientists can’t control them, scientists are potential prey and they may damage our city. We never can know when they can go out of control. It’s too likely!

[The boys look surprised now. Their jaws’ drop. Mary gives a look reminiscent of Hermione]

[The Secretary of Defence just arrived and heard Mary]

Secretary of Defence: Just do what she says, Commander.

Commander: She is a civilian; she doesn’t know what weapons we have.

Secretary of Defence: [angrily] Are you lily-livered or are you just acting like that? DO WHAT SHE SAYS!

Commander: [now really pissed off] YES, SIR!

Will: Now that’s where a lot of hot temper is put to use.

Mary: So, we agreed on not blowing them dinosaurs and not keeping them here. Is that right?

[So saying, she looks at the Commander and Mrs. Parker]

[All of them except the 3 boys and the Secretary mumble]

Mary: [shouting commandingly] I can’t hear you.

Commander, Mrs. Parker, and the Army: YES, SIR!

Mrs. Parker: May I ask why we’re calling her sir? She is only.....

Commander: [again interrupting commandingly] Don’t bother. [to Mary] We’ve been told now that the dinosaur is wreaking havoc on Westminster Abbey.

Mary: Well, good. Alpha team, don’t let the dinos touch Big Ben. Beta team, same to you too on the Charing Cross and Charlie team, don’t let it touch Whitehall! The dinos must be contained or else many casualties will happen. Nobody should injure the dinos or else we have a greater threat in our mind and we’ll have to deal with infrastructure. Well, DISPERSE!

Army: YES, SIR!

Mary: [to the Commander] Set up a perimeter with a half mile radius.

Commander: Got it.

Mary: And Secretary, alert the Queen and the Prime Minister about this and tell the Prime Minister to immediately assign total lockdown and to impose TL Critical on London. Tell MI5 that we need backup and to bring in more men and sound cannons. Big ones!

Secretary: On it.

[So saying, he runs to the car]

Nathan: How does she know all this?

Mrs. Parker: Well, her mother told me that she’s seeing too many war movies, science fiction, all that stuff.

Phil: Well, that makes sense.

Nathan: Mom, aren’t you supposed to be seeing how to close this wormhole?

Mrs. Parker: Oh. Right.

[Now Mary comes running to the boys.]

Will: What are we supposed to do now? Sit like a baby while the grown-ups take care of this?

Mary: No. We, my friends, are going to be human sacrifices.

Phil: Explain more clearly.

Mary: We are going to distract the dinosaurs. We can’t let them eat the other humans. So that’s why I called MI5, so that they can protect us. The only thing is that I don’t know where the dinosaur is so, I can’t plan.

[The others open their mouth to start arguing about why they were about to stare in the face of danger, but before that, there was a low growl]

Nathan: [sounding terrified] Uh, guys, is this a matter of life and death? Because you have to turn around now.

[The teens turn around slowly. There was an ugly dinosaur sniffing their shirts]

Teens in chorus: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! RUNNNNN!

Will: Oh déjà vu. Why the hell does every dino chase us?

Mary: Stop swearing!

[Nathan sees a car coming towards them]

Nathan: Look there! There is a black car! Probably MI5! We’re saved!!

[On the next exact moment after this quote, an another dinosaur comes perpendicular to them and crushes the car]

Nathan: Oh. Well, that’s that plan scuppered. Let them rest in peace.

Will: [shouting] This is not at all comforting. We’re still being chased by the dinosaur!! There is actually two now! It’s getting worse! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

Mary: No it’s not! Look again! There is a bunch of MI5 cars coming towards us!

[At this quote, there are a bunch of green jeeps with some cannons]

Mary: Guys, move! And cover your ears too!

[At the exact moment, the cannons blasted with high frequency sound, which proved harmful for the humans, as well as for the dinosaurs]

Phil: [in physical pain] What is that noise?!! My ears are bursting! Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

Mary: It’s a sound cannon. It produces high frequency sounds to immobilize their opponents. I should have warned you.

[At that moment, the dinosaurs fell down, unconscious and the jeeps stopped the sound cannons]

Phil: Finally! Dino trouble’s gone!

Mary: Not yet. There are still two left. [to MI5 agents] Where are the remaining two dinos?

MI5 Agent: Our guys are struggling with it. What should we do now?

Mary: We immobilize it too.

MI5 Agent: [with a smug of satisfaction and can-do attitude] All right! Let’s do it!

[On this quote, all the four teens and the agents get on to their jeeps and get to Big Bentley, where the army soldiers are struggling with the other two soldiers]

Mary: Better brace yourself! Everyone, CLOSE YOUR EARS!!!

[ Everyone closes their ears just in time, as the sound cannon blasts off, immobilizing the other dinosaurs]

Dinosaurs: RAAAAAAWWWWWRR!

[So roaring, they fall down with a thud]

[The Army guys all cheer, the MI5 guys too, but Mary’s expression changed from a happy one to a concerned one. The guys saw it and approached her.]

Phil: What happened, Mary? We just battled 4 dinos and lived to tell the tale. Come on, be happy!

Mary: I still have no idea how I got the idea to defeat the dinosaurs. Please don’t tell me to do it again.

[ Mary’s expression now lightened and within a few minutes, she started enjoying]

[ Suddenly, Mrs. Parker entered the scene and looking very concerned, she hugged all the teenagers and looked at their faces]

Mrs. Parker: Oh My God! Are you guys okay? Any injuries?

Nathan: We’re okay Mom. Other than a few scratches and saliva, nothing else.

Mrs. Parker: Ok then. [ Now angry] Then, DON’T EVER DO THIS AGAIN!!

All teenagers in chorus: All right, Mrs. Parker. We agree with ya. This is by far, the most dangerous, thrilling, amazing, scientific and exhausting trip we’ve ever been on!

Mrs. Parker: Nathan, you’re grounded for a week! Reason: For learning the disgraceful art of lock picking, and for using it to pick our door’s lock! [whispering to Mary] Thanks, Mary.

Nathan: Uuuuuhhhhhhhhh!

[ So saying, all the teenagers along with Mrs. Parker shake hands with the Secretary, who arrived just then and they took off in Mrs. Parker’s car.]

6 Months Later

[ The teenagers now completed the year and are currently in summer vacations. Phil and Mary are seen happily enjoying on their own, while Nathan and Will were reciting something to some small children.]

Will: ……. And BOOM! The dinosaurs were gone and we saved the day!!

Nathan: The memory still puts my nerve on edge.

Child: How did Mary become so brave? I wonder…………

Will: That’s what we wonder too. She was always cowardly and so self-obsessed usually. But that day, something changed inside her. What do you think it is, Nathan?

[ Mary hears this and approaches both of them]

Mary: Well, looks like I have some explanation to do.

[ All the boys and the small children gather together]

Mary: I am diagnosed with a very, very rare condition called praecipite cerebrum. It messes with my brain either when I face life or death situation, or when my blood is filled with adrenaline. It makes me take reckless, foolhardy and sometimes even dangerous decisions. What I displayed that day was not real bravery or courage. That was just due to a medical condition.

The worst part is, sometimes some of these decisions involve some of my best friends, and I can’t help it when they get dragged into dangerous situations. I’m so sorry about that guys.

Phil: It’s not a problem. You didn’t know what you were doing. Besides, it’s been 6 months.

Mary: I didn’t know what you would tell about me after telling the truth about this. That’s why I hid this all these 4 years.

Will: That explains why you didn’t want to involve in fights and you didn’t want to get into trouble. You were trying to put us out of harm’s way. Now that’s real courage and bravery.

[ All 4 teens get emotional and hug each other]

Nathan: We’ll always be friends, no matter what.

Phil: All this emotion release makes me want to spill some of my beans on you too.

Will: Do you have a secret too?

Phil: My real name’s not Phil. It’s Phileas Gerrard James Xander Shane. I never said this to anybody because I was afraid someone might troll me on this.

Will: I mean, it is a weird combination of names, but we’re not going to troll you or tease you on that.

Nathan: WILL!

Phil: What?! It’s the truth!

Nathan: Even so, it’s rude!

Mrs. Parker: BOYS! It’s time for dinner!!!

Nathan: Coming, Mom! So, you guys want to join for dinner? Mom’s made a delicious kale salad with chickpeas and avocado.

Mary: I have no idea how you eat that. It’s green, and not that much tasty. I’ll come some other time when your Mom’s making meatballs or something like that.

Phil: I’m joining Mary. [whispering to Nathan] I really need this relationship to work, dude. It’s finally going in the right way. [loudly] Coming, Mary! [ to Nathan] Got to go, Nathan. Bye!

Will: I’m joining you, dude. I love a good salad. I’ll go tell my mom about it and get back to you in 5 minutes.

[ So saying, all the four teenagers, who are now 14 years old, go their separate ways. They are currently enjoying their life with their friends………. But do their adventures stop here, or there is a new adventure waiting for them?]

[Curtains]

The End