My Modest Proposal | Teen Ink

My Modest Proposal

My Modest Proposal 
for eradicating addiction to technology  
and allowing people to enjoy and live their  
lives, more than being just on a phone 

There are too many people in our society today who spend hours and hours on their phones, every day. These people miss out on the amazing opportunities life presents, and instead focus on the little flashing on your screen that appears for ten seconds. This is a problem. We cannot let the whole world miss out on the beauty of the world. And for what? Technology? If someone is willing to give up nature, genuine friendships, and human interaction for a snapchat selfie, a text message, or just for their phone in general, then we have a very big problem. Addiction to technology.  
Here is what we are going to do. It involves a simple process, let us break it down into two steps, collection and eradication. First, all police officers will be required to go door by door and collect every form of technology in the household. This includes, but is not limited to, phones, laptops, computers, I-pods, televisions, etc. The officers will then initiate phase two, eradication. All the technology collected will then go to the ocean. The police officers will throw every piece of technology into the ocean. Everyone in the whole world will be required to follow this, after it is passed as a world-wide law. At first, people will not be happy with this law, but after they realize their addiction to what they once had, they will be so happy it is gone.  
This solution will work and there are so many benefits that shall prove it. First off, people will be happier. Many people get their happiness from things that pop up on their phone, for example a funny text message someone sent. But, this happiness may be true, yet it will not last nearly as long as happiness with true people, in real life, will. Secondly, people will spend less time on their couches watching television, therefore more people will get up, get outside, and exercise. Third off, people will have more time. As stated before, people spend hours and hours on their phones and electronics every day. Without technology in their life anymore, people will have more time to do so many more things, which brings us to the next point. Fourthly, people will be able to make a better world. People will have more time to think of better and new ways to make a better place for us all. Fifthly, people will be less stressed. They will not have to think about people they don’t see, and FOMO will no longer be a thing! Finally, there will no longer be any radiation waves from technology and no one will have to worry about getting harmed from them. Will this not be great to have a bunch of healthy people chilling around the earth in happiness? 
People may think that this is bad for two reasons, pollution and disconnection. First off, people say that this will pollute the ocean and kill ocean life, if all the technology in the world is dumped into the ocean. But who cares? We aren’t living in the ocean so why does it matter if the ocean life dies? Second off, people may think this will cause disconnection throughout the world. I disagree. People before us hundreds and hundreds of years ago survived without technology, so we can too. We will not be disconnected, but rather be more connected to the people that are close to us and surround us every day.  
Overall, I think it would be foolish if we continued to allow people to sit on their phones and live an artificial technological life. This is a very big issue and if people can't see that, they have already been brainwashed by the phones. Don’t fall into the trap that many people do. Instead, see the issue and address the issue.  

I choose my topic because I truly do think that technology is an issue in our world today. It makes me sad to always see my friends and peers attached and addicted to their phones, and they can't even see it. I hope that one day these people will know how to enjoy life, more than the technology, and will be able to live a happy and meaningful life. I modeled my essay after Swift’s and used the guidelines to help create an easy to read and follow essay.