Where Am I? | Teen Ink

Where Am I?

Author's note:

it is scary

Chapter 1

I wake up in a cold dark room with stone walls and I can't move. It is like I am chained down to the floor. Where am I? How did I get here? Where is my sister? Am I dreaming? Am I okay? Did I fall?
*Go Back 24 Hours*
"Ellie come downstairs your sister is waiting for you!" Mom said.
"I'm coming tell her go wait in the car for me, I need like one minute." I say back.
"Okay you better hurry!" She yells back.
Emma and I are going to our favorite park in San Francisco. It is our favorite park because it is where our dad took us when we were kids. It feels like we spent most of our childhood there. It is our favorite place in the whole wide world. Our dad died last year in a car accident during the winter, now every time we go back to the park it feels like a part of our dad is there with us. I quickly grab a jacket out of my closet and shove my feet into the pair of boots sitting by my door. Then, I run downstairs grab the keys off the kitchen counter, say bye to mom and head to the car. Emma is sitting in the front seat staring out the window to see if I am coming. When I open up my door to get in she says,
"About time I thought I was going to be out here forever. What took you so long?"
"Sorry I lost track of time I was doing my makeup and getting dressed. I didn't realize what time it was!" I told her.
"Okay fine, but by the way I get to pick the music because you took so long!" Emma said.
Emma and I had a deal that whoever was ready to leave first would get the pick the music. Her and I have the total opposite taste in music. I like classical and instrumental music, but she likes the hard core rock bands and rap. It was going to be a very long trip to the park, even though it was only a 20 minute drive there.
"Okay just don't play it too loud I don't want to have a headache because I want to enjoy the park. Deal?" I said.
"Deal!" She replied with a huge smile on her face.
She turns on her music and I just kind of block it out and stare at the road. We get to the park and get of the car and put on our running shoes we had kept in my car. We put on our jackets and then we start by walking the first trail.  We moved to the second trail and did a light jogging pace. When we got back up the trail I was ready for the third one on a running pace.
"Hey Em you ready let's see who can get back up to the top first okay?" I asked.
"Yeah let's go I am going to beat you!" She said with a wide grin on her face.
"On three ready one..."
"Two..."
"Three..."
We were running really fast the path was steep and rocky. I am in the lead I look back to see if Emma is behind me but when I look back I see nothing. Full of nothing but dark black space.

Chapter 2

*present*

I try and open my eyes but I can't,they feel like heavy sandbags. I kept trying to open them.  I got them open a little but I didn't see anything. Finally I got them open, but it's like they are still shut because all that is there is darkness. I tried to stand up but I can't… there is something holding me down by the feet and hands. So I start to scream at the top of my lungs.
"Help me! I can't move! Help! Anyone!" I scream. Out of the darkness I hear
"Calm child! Calm. Yelling will only make it worse! You have to stay calm." The voice was a man's. It was deep and dark.
"Where are you? Why can't I see you?" I scream back at the voice.
"You cannot see, you will never see me." The voice replied.
"You just need to stay calm and keep quiet. If you aren't it will cause you more pain in the end. They will come and get you when it is time but for now you have to listen to me!" The voice said.
I was very confused what did he mean by pain? Who was going come and get me? In time for what? But I decided to listen to the voice because he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.  I sat on the cold, hard floor for a very long time. I began to cry asking myself why am I here? Where is here? Did my family send me here? How did I get here? I remembered the voice said to keep quiet so I wiped my tears and calmed myself down as much as I could. Then, I saw a little ray of light. I begin to shake in fear. The ray of light continued to get wider, like someone was opening a door. Next, I saw two large, white figures approaching me. They undid what was holding me down. They picked me up with their hands under my arms and dragged my body across the floor. I had tears rolling down my face I was so scared.

Chapter 3

The strange figures carried me out of the dark room into a hallway which was full of white. The light was so bright that it was almost blinding. I shut my eyes but the harder I squeezed them, the faster tears formed and rolled down my face. I can't move my arms so the tears hit the floor as we moved. I hear the figures say things between each other like I am not even there. But then I heard someone say, "Take her to the dressing room. She is a size small."
What were they talking about? Why am I going to a dressing room? But then I feel a rush of cool air brush across my face. Then I was lifted up onto a cold table that feels like it is steel.
"Open your eyes and put these on. We will be waiting outside so don't try any funny business!" The one white figure commanded.
I opened my eyes I am in a room that appears to be some sort of lab room. It has a steel table that I am sitting on in the center of the room. On the right there is a counter with cotton swabs and other medical tools on it in small dishes. The walls are made out of dark gray bricks. As soon as I finish examining the room I put on the white gown that was placed beside me. Then I put on the white socks that were inside the gown. I sit back on the table because the figures are coming back in the room again.
"Lay back on the table and open your mouth." Commanded the white figure
The other figure grabs a cotton swab out of the container and got a tube out of one of the small dishes. The figure that is standing by my head takes the swab and sticks it in my mouth and rubs it on my cheek. Then he takes the tube and sticks the swab in it and closes the cap. He then sticks the tube in a little hole in the wall and it disappears.
"Get up! On your feet!" Commanded the figure
I get up they again grab me by my under arms and open the door from the dressing room. They are taking me somewhere else I feel the fear bubbling up inside me again. We head down the hall into another room. This room is full of computers and tables. But in the center there is a glass wall with a chair in the center of it. They take me to the chair and place me down. What is going to happen next? Are they going to kill me?

Chapter 4

The two figures start taking me toward the glass wall when all of a sudden the just stop right dead in their tracks. Then I hear a loud voice that says “turn her around I want to see her before we….” she trails off in a whisper. The figures do what she says and turn me to face her she is standing at the top of the room with her hands on the rail. This lady is where a navy blue suite and has her hair pinned back so that it is out of her face. She doesn’t look much older than my mom. Then memories of my mom and family come rushing back into my mind. I miss them I just want to go home and hug them and love on them. I feel like I am about to start crying. But no I have to stay strong. The lady comes down the stairs and starts coming towards me and just starts laughing.

“Why is she so small?” she said as she laughed.

“There is nothing to her I don’t know if she will be able to survive this. But you know this will be fun! Let’s begin.” the strange women said.

The figures start to hook me up to all of these things and put straps around my body. I just sit there and the voice comes back.

“Ellie you have to listen to me if you want to survive. Listen to me!” the voice says. Next thing I know I am no longer in the white room. I am in the park again with my sister

“Emma it’s so good to see you I think I fell and hit my head.” I said. But Emma did not say anything back. Then it started to get dark and dusty. “Emma where are you? Say my name if you can hear me.” I say. Then out of nowhere comes a huge boulder it is the size of my house. Why is it here? So I start to climb it but it starts to crumble like an avalanche. I start to get scared and start screaming. “Help me! Someone help me!” I yell very loud. But it seems no one is here to answer me. “Ellie calm down you have to stay focused if you want to survive!” The voice exclaimed. I take a deep breath, steady myself, and start climbing again. I get halfway up the boulder and fire starts shooting out at a very intense pressure. It was so intense that my body flew off it and fell back to the ground on fire. “Help I’m going to die! Help I’m on fire!” I yell. “Ellie stop you have to slow your breathing. That way your heart rate will slow down.” The voice said. I was unsure at first but I did it and the fire slowly went out. “Beep.. beep….beep..”

“STOP! STOP! STOP!” exclaimed the voice of a women.

“She is not breathing and her face has gone pale.” another voice says.

But I was breathing I am barely alive now. I feel like I have lost control of my body, I have gone limp. I feel like I am going to pass out then warm hands wrap around my arms. They disconnect the tubes from my body and lift me out. Then I feel a sharp sting in my side it kind of feels like a bee sting. That is all I remember the sting and I woke up in the same dark, cold, stone room that I arrived here in. It still has that same musty smell like my grandmother’s house. The smell takes me back to her and my family. I wish they were here and I really miss them. When my father died my sister was the only stable person in our family. She did not cry or even seem a bit shocked. Emma and dad did not have the best relationship they just never seemed to get along. They were always fighting and yelling but when mom or I would tell them to stop they would get louder. We could never stop them it was like we were not even there. But when I would ask her why they fight so much she would just tell me “Ellie it is best for you not to know. It is for your own safety.” That would be the end of the conversation and we would go back to whatever we were doing. But my father was so kind and loving to me I just did not understand why they did not get along like dad and I did. I do not think I will ever get the answer to that question and that really makes me sad.

Chapter 5

“Did they kill her? Is she still in the dark room?” said a strange muffled voice from the outside.

“Yes she is still in there, but I do not think they killed her.” said another muffled voice on the outside.  

Then I scrape myself off the cold floor because my body hurts that much. I feels like I was ran over by a very large bus. But I want to find out who is on the outside and how to get to the outside. I start banging on everything trying to get out but nothing is going to budge. “Help me I am stuck in here! It is freezing cold in here and I need to get out.” I said. Then all of a sudden and intense wind came upon the room and I was forced to the ground. It was so strong that the wall flew up from the floor like it was breaking apart. Then a blue light appeared and there was a wide opening just wide enough for me to slip through. So I leap up from the floor as fast as I possibly could with my beat and broken down body. But I made it through and when I made it to the outside to my surprise there was a large group of people there.

I feel to the floor in the middle of them and started screaming “Where are we? Why am I here? Where is here?”

Then there was a nice gentle warm hand that came across my mouth and my eyes slowly shut. That was the warmest feeling that I have felt the entire time that I was here. But again I wake up in a different place then I was before. But this time was different it was more of a calm experience. I woke up in some very nice warm arms that were tightly pressed against me.

When I slowly come back to myself I say “Hello? Dad is that you? Thank you for coming to get me out of this crazy place!”

“It’s not that bad if you really just give it time I mean a beautiful girl like you is going to do well here. All you need is a little training, warm clothes, and some food.” said the voice of a man that I did not recognize.

When I open my eyes fully I quickly jump out of his arms and way back to the other side of the cold room.

“Who are you and why would you say those things to me?” I said to him.

“Well my name is Jefferson and I am here to help you because your father sent me here five years ago. Your father was a great man and he would be very happy we have meet.” He said.

I just stand there for a minute trying to figure out and understand what this strange man is saying. This man that I never met is saying that my father sent him to this strange place to help me. But I don't even know who this is or how he knows my family