Demi-Human | Teen Ink

Demi-Human

By WolfFaunas3, Fort Collins, Colorado
WolfFaunas3, Fort Collins, Colorado

It's the first. Enjoy.

Prologue
Around the 15th century, a man had drunkenly walked out into the shores of Greece to watch the waves in a drunken stupor. Their he had been called by the singing voice of a siren and walked into what all others would call a death trap. He gazed upon the beautiful creature’s form and became enchanted into giving her what she had wanted.
The siren had gone back to the sea… well… satisfied. To her it would be just another day.
If it hadn’t been for the fact she had a baby bump on her hip a week later. When born the baby girl was an even larger surprise. It was human. In shape, body, and mind it was a human toddler. But it was breathing. Breathing in the water it was born in and not drowning. Looking at the child’s neck they had found a set of gills that was letting the baby’s breath.
Having raised it between the human world and the sea. The child grew up and lived a normal life.
One day when she was at the market, the girl listened to a man play his instrument and began to sing along with it. Her voice enchanted the whole village into a delirious state. When she stopped, and the people returned to their senses, they called her a witch and had her put to death.
The siren mother mourned and grieved, but the girl slowly became forgotten.
Three months later, a boy breathed fire onto a furnace to heat up a freezing old lady’s house. Unfortunately, he too was accused of witchcraft and dark arts and put to death.
These strange instances kept happening in places all around Europe.
A girl kept screaming and crying when someone was about to die.
A boy turned his hand into a blade.
A little girl giggled uncontrollably as she floated through the air.
These children sparked a panic across the continent throughout the continent. Witch hunts sprang into life throughout the 16th and 17th century.
These children seemed random at first, but a trend started to arise.
They were just like the siren and the man. They were people born from creatures.
The fire breathing boy was a Salamander’s son.
The screaming girl had the blood of a Banshee in her.
The bladed boy was the bastard of a Changeling.
The little girl was the loved child of a Sylph.
The monsters that had come together with humans had no idea that they had inadvertently created a new species.
Human children with the powers of their mythical parent.
A half monster/half human.
Demi-Human.
Prologue over
Chapter One
The mid spring southern California sun was peeking its light through the cracks in the curtains. The rays of sunshine drifted onto a sleeping form beneath a pile of blankets and stirred the girl from the land of dreams. She groaned as she tried going back to sleep, but she was clearly not getting any more. With a muffled moan of effort, the girl kicked off her blankets and lifted her legs over to the side of the bed then sat up. She felt her hand over the desk next to the bed to find her pair of glasses and put them on.
She yawned cutely before stretching her tired body and felt satisfied after every pull of the muscles and every pop of the bones.
Standing up she found that the hair on her head felt irritated and had a sliver of pain in the back. Her back had already been popped when she was stretching but the pain was still barely noticeable. The girl walked over to the mirror in my room and stood in front of it.
She had bright ruby red colored eyes that stared back at her as she took in her current appearance. The shrub of curly, short, silvery blonde hair on her head was in an even more hectic state than usual. Her skin was a olive tone with a barely noticeable tan achieved from being a born member of the golden state. She was about average height in terms of seventeen-year-old girls.
After looking at herself appearance, she focused on her whole appearance. Specifically, her head and back.
She found out why her back was hurting this morning.
She had been sleeping on top of her wings.
Yes, wings.
Attaching themselves to the blonde’s back were large brown and red colored draconic wings with a very thin sheet of fur on them. They were folded up behind her like a bird because she would have to be outside to stretch them to their full size.
This also pointed out the issue on her head.
Her wolf ears were out and were ramrod straight. The large, round tipped second set of ears were a white that could match the silvery blonde color of her hair with the tips being black.
She sighed loudly, this happened every now and then. The features of her true heritage would often come out while she was sleeping.
With an ounce of effort, the wings retracted into her body and the extra set of ears vanished.
With the wings out of the way she could see the rest of her room with the mirror.
It wasn’t one of an average teenage girl in California. Instead of posters of singers and garish amounts of makeup, it had large shelves lined with books, music, and extra cases of glasses in case she ever lost the pair resting on the bridge of her nose.
There were a few pictures around the room as well. Her personal favorite being hanged on the mirror, so that she could see it every day.
It was a taken in a green pasture in Romania when she was a seven-year-old girl. She was in the middle with her wings and ears out and a million-watt smile on that pudgy seven-year-old face of hers. To the left was a tall woman with normal blonde hair and beautiful green eyes smiling while holding the little girl in a hug.
It was what was behind them that made the picture special. It was a very, very, probably twenty meters in length, large dragon. Its head and body were shaped like that of a wolf. Its scales were black as midnight with a blood colored red complimenting other scales with a nice coat of fur covering the body. Its eyes were like red hot coals pulled straight from a fire.
The second most interesting thing was its rows of white spear long sharp teeth were somehow curled upward in a smile. There was a reason the beast was smiling and posing for the camera behind the two instead of eating them.
And that brings us to the most interesting thing about this photograph.
The girl smiled and kissed two fingers and placed them on the photo. “Good Morning Dad.”
The girl’s name is Libby Balaur. She is a Demi-Human, and the half human daughter of the wolf headed dragon of Romania, Zburator.
Chapter one end.
Chapter two start.
After getting out of the shower and brushing her mop of hair, Libby threw on the first set of clothes she could grab.
Walking down the stairs, she made her way to the kitchen.
With her ridiculously heightened senses, she could already smell bacon and eggs on toast. She could also hear her mother’s voice talking to an all too familiar one.
She opened the door to the kitchen to find my mother, not looking a day older than the photo, talking to another girl.
“Morning.” She said as she closed the door behind her.
“Morning Libby.” The middle age mother said with a smile on her face.
The other girl in the room had turned around to face me. “Took you long enough, bestie.”
Libby rolled her eyes at her friend. “Not everyone has a shapeshifter for a father that lets them have the power to look perfect first thing in the morning like you do Akiko.”
The girl’s name was Akiko Okami. She is one of Libby’s best friends and the Demi-Human daughter of the Dutch, shapeshifting, black winged wolf, Kludde.
Her features were far from Dutch as her human mother was of Japanese descent. She had high cheekbones that women would kill for. Electric blue eyes that made people think she wore color contacts. Straight, short black hair with blue streaks running through it. If she was standing, then she would be at least three inches taller than Libby.
The silver haired girl wasn’t kidding when she said she looked picture perfect first thing in the morning. Using her gift from her father she can change the smallest features on her face and hair to make it look like she spent an hour or more working with her hair and dabbing on makeup.
“True.” Libby said reaching over to her backpack on her chair where she left it last night. She opened it up and looked through her notebooks before she realized something.
Crap, I left my math sheet at school.” She shouted grabbing her hair.
Akiko smiled as she pulled a sheet of paper from her own backpack. “You actually left it at my house on Friday when we worked on it together.”
Libby grabbed the sheet of paper from her friend’s hand and looked it over. It was completed and ready to turn in.
“Oh my gosh. Thank you so much.” Libby squealed as she hugged her friend.
For a girl who the child of a so-called embodiment of the devil, Akiko was one of the kindest people Libby knew.
“You better eat your breakfast fast if you want to grab Unique and make it on the bus in time.” Her mother said as Libby finally sat down at the table.
She looked at the oven clock and saw what her mother meant. It was 7:00 in the morning. They had twenty-five minutes to get their friend and get to the bus.
Looking down at her food, Libby picked up the plate and shoveled the whole thing down. She quickly swallowed and felt the heat from her mother’s cooking travel down her throat. She got up and pulled the straps from her bag over her shoulders.
“Love you mom. Have a good day.” She quickly gives her mom a hug before turning to her friend. “Hurry up Akiko.”
We rushed out the door and practically grounded our feet into the ground as we ran to our other friend’s house.
A few minutes later they ran up the steps to a green one-story house and feverishly knocked on the door. It opened to reveal a middle age man with combed red hair.
“Good morning Mr. Ollphéist.” Akiko said in greeting.
“Ah, you two. Come in. Seamus should be right down.” The man said kindly with a thick Scottish accent.
They did as he said and stood inside the front room, waiting for their friend.
Libby turned to the other girl of the room. “So, you going to the book store for the sale today. I hear the manga is 50% off.”
One of the greatest bonding forces between the two girls was their love of Manga.
“Of course.” My dark-haired friend responded. “I still need to add to my collection of the greatest manga ever.”
Libby sighed exasperated. They both had love for all Manga, but they still had some differing taste. “I keep telling you that My Hero Academia is too slow burn and the characters are so weak compared to people from an actually good story. Like Fairy Tail for example.”
Her friend pointedly sent a glare her way. “It’s not about the strength of the people. It’s a story about a classroom of aspiring heroes who each overcome their insecurities they have while saving the day. And unlike Fairy Tail, the main protagonist doesn’t have to be an idiot to be ripped as hell.” Akiko explained and mocked.
“Oh, you did not just diss my Natsu.” I shout as a crimson flame lights up in my mouth.
“Bring it.” Akiko said coolly as her right hand lit up in blue flames.
Before we could possibly destroy the house, a thin stream of water made its way into my mouth and onto Akiko’s hand, extinguishing our flames.
“You know this town would have been blown up a hundred times over if it weren’t for me.” A voice with a lighter Scottish accent said.
We both turned to see our other friend, Seamus Ollphéist . A pasty skinned man with wild red hair and gorgeous green eyes. Unlike Libby and Akiko, Seamus lives with hi father. Considering his mother is Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster, it’s probably for the best.
Like his father he is loud, friendly, and always has a smile on his face. He is actually a heart throb for most of the girls at school for personality and muscular form that looks like he has practiced MMA all of his life.
Akiko bowed in apology. “We’re terribly sorry for once again nearl-.”
“Seamus,” Libby started, cutting of their friend’s apology. “Settle a dispute, Fairy Tail or My Hero Academia. Say which is better.”
“We don’t got time for that, we have to catch that bus.” My fiery friend shouted.
He grabbed both of our hands and flew out the door, dragging the two girls behind him.
By some miracle, they got onto the bus on time and made our way to school.
Chap 2 End
Chap 3 Begin
“I’m just saying that my Algebra 2 teacher, Mr. Mynz, has way too harsh of a grading criterion.” Libby said as her and Akiko got out of the lunch line with the usual chicken patty sandwich, chocolate milk and apple. “Do you know that he docked off nearly 25% of my grade on my last test because he thinks I don’t use the right formula to solve the equation?”
“He docks you because you do not show your work. It is an integral part of the answer to show how you got the answer.” The black and blue haired girl explained.
Libby sighed loudly. “Yeah, I get that. But I should still get credit for getting the right answer. There are several reasons people in my class do not like him.”
“Libby. Akiko. Over here.” A familiar voice called out to them. They looked ahead to find Seamus waving over to them at a table near the cafeteria windows. He was always the first in line when it came to lunch. And always the first to sit down and eat.
They walked over to him and sat themselves down around the table.
“So, what are you two talking about?” He asked as he took a bite out of his pepperoni pizza.
“Libby’s mad at Mr. Mynz again.” Akiko answered.
Seamus sighed and shook his head. “If you would just show your work…”
Libby glared at the two of them. “Can we please change the subject?”
“Alright here’s a topic.” Seamus started. “I just came my zoology class.”
“Ahhh.” Libby whined as she prepared herself for Seamus rant. He wanted to be a marine biologist when he grew up, and every time he found something interesting about any kind of creature he just went on about it in a speech.
“Just listen because this actually pertains to us.” He said seriously. “Ms. Cooper gave us a lecture on how certain species can be crossbred.”
“Oh. You mean like the Liger.” Akiko said understandingly. “The half Lion/Half Tiger hybrid.”
“Exactly. I listened for a while because I thought it was rather interesting because of how similar it was to us. But then I thought about it that way and it got me thinking.” He said seriously before a curious glance made its way over to the silvery blonde. “How did your parents make you?”
“Wait… What?” Libby said, surprised at the suddenness of the question.
“It is an actual puzzle.” Akiko said with sudden interest. “My father is a shape shifter, so he would have no problem being with my mother.”
“And my father told me the story of how I was made.” Seamus said. “It’s really amazing what you can do with water.”
“So that leaves you.” Akiko surmounted. “You’re the only one who is a mystery.”
Seamus picked it up from there. “It is a big mystery. More so considering your mother is probably the same size as your father’s scrot- “
“Seamus.” Libby said with an air of finality. “When I said change the subject, I did not mean talk about my parent’s private life. Or my father’s…” She blushed as she thought of the next word. She shook her head furiously at the thought. About a minute later “Try anything else.”
Seamus thought for a hot second before another topic of conversation came to mind. “I heard about the sale going down at the bookstore today. I know you two are going there for manga and the non-fiction section has an auto biography about a female zoologist who worked alongside Dik Dik’s.” He said.
“Would you look at that.” A voice said behind them. “A freak talking to other freaks about what’s between his legs.”
They turned to see a tanned muscular guy standing there with brown hair and a sports jacket on. Behind him were several others in the same attire.
“He’s talking about a type of antelope Cardin.” Akiko said calmly although her blood boiled whenever this man was in vicinity of her or her friends. She smirked. “And even if he wasn’t, he probably has more to brag about than you Mr. Steroids.”
“Oooohhhh.” Libby and Seamus sounded. It wasn’t often that their friend trash talked, so when she did it was always special to listen too.
That clearly set off the football jock as his jaw clenched. “Why you little bi-“
“Mr. Winchester.” Ms. Paramour’s voice called out as she walked toward them. She was one of the younger teachers at the school, being in her early twenties. Brown hair tied up in a ponytail and red framed glasses the shown through to her equally brown eyes. “I ask that you do not use such language toward your fellow students. That is, if you do not want to end up in my office.”
Cardin’s teammates decided it wasn’t worth it and walked away. Cardin on the other hand did not. “Is it really all that bad if I’m talking down on the weird freaks.”
The teacher shook her head. “Everyone is weird is some way Cardin. For example, you could be considered weird for how much time you spend in the bathrooms.”
Cardin eyes grew wide as dinner plates while the three Demi-Humans laugh at his mocking. “Wha… That’s not what I was doing I was-“
“It would appear,” Ms. Paramour cut him off with a smile on her face. “that like a zombie, your argument has no leg to stand on.”
The three attempted to stifle their laughs down to a few chuckles and giggles as Cardin sputtered, trying to form any words to defend himself. He shot the three a half hearted glare before he walked off angrily spewing off curse words in a hushed tone.
“Thank you for that Ms. Paramour.” Akiko said.
“Yeah Thanks/Thanks a lot.” Libby and Seamus said afterward.
The young woman looked at the three of them with a kind smile. “It was no big deal. As a part of the anti-bullying committee, it’s my job to take painful situations and turn them into pleasurable ones.” Her smile then changed into a disappointed frown. “But may I point out that if he had come a minute earlier he might’ve heard your earlier conversation. I ask that you handle conversations like that in the privacy of your own homes.” She scolded them before mischievously smiling. “Privately.”
The three of them mentally sighed at their teachers at their teachers barely hidden joke, ironic considering who she really was.
Elizabeth “Lilly” Paramour was the last and final Demi-Human on this side of the country. She was the half human/half succubus daughter of the succubus of Jewish folklore Lilith.
“Understood teach.” Seamus said while the other two nodded.
“Good, because if not.” Their teacher licked her lips. “I’ll have to deal out a fitting punishment.” She then walked away, leaving her students shaking in her wake.
“Holy crap that was terrifying.” Libby said shaking slightly.
“That’s why she the teacher with no bad behavioral kids in her class.” Akiko reasoned.
Seamus gulped as he nodded. “Truly she is to be respected… and feared.”
Chapter 3 end
Chapter 4 start
Damn it not again.” Seamus said as he tried his combination for his locker again only for it not to work.
“Locker locking up on you again.” Libby said as she and Akiko stood there with there own bags ready to go.
“Yes, the damn thing just doesn’t want to cooperate.” He said as he tried shaking the lock in hopes it would come undone.
“Here. Allow me.” Akiko said as she moved him out of the way. She looked around to make sure there was no one there to watch. She held up her right index finger as the fingernail on it grew longer and then shaped itself to match the shape of a key. She stuck it in the part of the lock you would use the janitor key for and twisted it. Once she unlocked it, she opened it up and moved out of the way for Seamus. “There you are.”
“Akiko, you know we are not supposed to use powers outside of our homes.” Seamus scolded at his friend’s blatant disregard for the rules set down for them by their parents.
“There is no one around and the hall cameras are to far away to have seen anything clearly.” The black and blue haired girl explained. “You needed help and as your friend I am obligated to do so.”
Seamus sighed, knowing he wouldn’t this argument with her. “Fine. Thank you for helping.”
Libby smiled at the interaction. “You are too kind for your own good Akiko.”
The other female of the group smiled. “Perhaps. Now come on, we barely made it to the bus this morning, so I actually want to be there on time.” She said as she started walking toward the exit with the other two not following too far behind.
Chapter 4 end
Chapter 5 begin
Libby sat down at the dinner table with her mother as the two of them ate a steak and salad for dinner. Her increased sense of taste was a godsend because she could taste every small and beautiful detail about the meal.
As she was nearing the end of her meal, a question popped in her head from earlier, one that she wasn’t to admit being curious about.
“Hey Mom.” Libby said.
“Yes Libby.” Her mother replied, having just swallowed a bite of salad.
“Seamus asked me a question earlier and it actually has me curious.” She started slowly. “How exactly did you and dad conceive me when there is a big size difference between you two.”
Her mother’s eyes widened slightly in mild shock to the random question, but then it turned into a playful smile. “That’s a good question. Well you see…”
That was the start to an hour-long explanation of the journey her parents took to have a child together. Her mother spared no detail as she told her on all the different methods that they tried to use to get pregnant, including the rated R methods.
“And that’s how we had you.” Her mother had finally concluded.
Libby sat there with a flared-up face at her mother’s rather vivid descriptions. Other than that, it seemed as though she was taking it all in rather well.
“I feel like I’m going to throw up.” She said speaking for the first time in a whole hour.
Or rather not.
“If you do please do it in the trashcan in your bedroom. It’s bedtime young lady.” Her mother said as she gathered up the dishes in the sink to wash.
Libby nodded at mother’s suggestion. “Got it. Good night Mom.” She got up and headed up the stairs toward her room.
After getting into her comfortable pajamas she looked at her picture of her family she had on her mirror. That morning she had looked at it with nothing but love and content. Now she felt the same, but with added queasiness now that she knew that her parents had conceived her in the background of the photo.
She shook her head at the ridiculousness that was her life and got under the covers of her bed.
It was just another day in the life of a Demi-Human.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE END