the world with no hair | Teen Ink

the world with no hair

By ggv2004, Park Ridge, Illinois
ggv2004, Park Ridge, Illinois

Author's note:

I am a 13 year old about to become 14 and I go to near north monterssori.

This is the story about how the world lost all its hair. When I was 13, I woke up one Saturday and turned on the t.v. I saw a breaking news report about a disease spreading around the United States. The reports said that this new disease has been quickly spreading and no one has found the cause or a cure. People are losing their hair. While this doesn’t sound too scary, imagine life as a teenager with no hair. Apparently, it started in China and quickly spread to different countries. Once you are infected with the disease, your facial hair slowly begins to fall out. You wake up missing an eyebrow, eyelashes, mustache, whatever. Then it spreads to your head and clumps of hair begin to fall out and never grow back. Once you lose all the hair on your head, it begins to fall out of your arms, then your body, and eventually your legs. Once you have no hair on your body, it can no longer control its temperature and people have been freezing to death. Freezing to death!
The first case that appeared in the United States was on Monday, October 22nd, and it has since spread to 43 states. After I heard the news reporter mentioned the first confirmed outbreak in Chicago, I turned off the T.V. I went upstairs and hide under my covers. I decided to quarantine myself in my room. I couldn’t imagine life without hair. It’s been five months since the outbreak began and I’ve been quarantined for the last two months- hair still intact. My parents were leaving food and water for me by my bedroom door, but it has been a few days since since my last meal was left.
Worried, I decided to leave my bedroom and check on my parents. I looked around the house and couldn’t find them. Growing more concerned, I decided to leave the house to look for them.

I covered my body in a long sleeved hoodie, pants and sneakers. I used my mom’s hair net and put a baseball cap on top of that. I wore large sunglasses to cover my eyebrows and opened the front door.
I walked out into the sun, and noticed that there was no one in the street. It was a scary quiet. You know, the kind where it’s too quiet and you can’t hear anything and you realize how alone you are. I kept walking down my street. I noticed dusty abandoned cars stopped on the side of the road. I kept walking. I saw one car, half-tipped over in a ditch. I decided to check it out to see if anyone was hurt.
When I looked into the window, all I saw was dust. I used my sleeve to clean off the window and saw a bald dead man in the driver seat laying on the steering wheel. I fell back in horror and then I hear it. The sound of a car driving towards me. I panicked, I opened the car door and hide. I tried to avoid the dead body literally right next to me, I looked to see who it was and it was Mr. Horse he is my reading teacher and he looked really dead. The car was gone and I ran back home. I got in and I baracated the door. 3 hours later… It is dark outside now I go up to my room getting ready to go to sleep then I remembered that I did not check my parents bedroom. I slowly tip toe over to their door, and I quickly open it! No one was in the room, just as I expected they must have gotten out of the town but not by choice but forced out. It is morning, I wake up and I go downstairs I get a bowl of cereal because I don’t know how to cook and I don’t want to burn my house down. I check outside to see what is happening, nothing it is just silent. Everything is down, there is nothing just you and them and I mean “them” as in people. It has been 5 months since the virus has been lose. Its crazy to think this is the end of the world. I am running out of resources so I decided to go to my school to check for any supplies cause I know that most people have already gone for the supermarkets.

When I got to the school I quickly went into the cafeteria I opened the fridge. I saw so much pudding that I started to get a tummy ache. I grabbed as much as I could then I heard a door open. I quickly ducked down behind the counter. It sounds like multiple people then I hear them come into the kitchen I knew I was caught. I get up from behind the counter and I threw a pudding container at them. As soon as I realize who they were I gasp, it was my best friends Tommy and Shaquana. We all go into a group hug "I thought you guys were dead", "I thought you were dead too" said Tommy and Shaquana. I told them that I had a place to sleep and they decided to come with me. Luckily for me Shaquana knows how to cook, so does Tommy. I guess I am the only one that doesn't. They made Mac and Cheese, which was really good. I finally had something else other than cereal. It has been 2 weeks since I found Tommy and Shaquana and I figured out that Tommy has the disease, we both are so devastated and we know that Tommy does not have much time. He is on the final stage so we all say our goodbyes. Tommy Peters passed away on a Saturday and was buried in the backyard of the house. It has been 3 months since Tommy died we have both been depressed and sad. We have started to hear gunshots not to far away and everyday it gets closer. One night we while watching Monters Inc, on this DVD player that I have, we heard the gunshots right outside. We look out the window and it looks like they are fighting for supplies. I quickly try to board up the windows and Shaquana helps as well, the shots fired came right through the windows. We both duck down but Shaquana gets hit, she got shot right in the stomach. I have her in my arms and she tries to speak but can't. I see the blood gushing from her wound, blood coming out of her mouth and she finally built up the words to speak and says “survive” then, she died. I couldn't believe it, all my friends were dead. I went up to my dad's safe and I got the shotgun I go outside and I start to open fire on the men. 

As I start to open fire on the men, I hit one of them and I duck down behind a car. I realized that I have been hit, but I still don't care. I keep shooting at the men and I get shot in the leg I was in so much pain that I fainted. When I woke up I was tied up to a tree there was a fire and a bunch of survivors. I look down and realized my leg is gone I scream and then I realized these people are cannibals one came up to me and said "you were good" I screamed. "Time to eat some more!"