Home | Teen Ink

Home

July 2, 2018
By Queen-IYL-09 BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey
More by this author
Queen-IYL-09 BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
If we shouldn't eat at night, why is there a light in the fridge?"-Anonymous


Author's note:

This piece was another short story that I created for my Language Arts class. Although this may not be as good as "If Eyes Could Redeem-A New York Fairytale", I still wrote it within the time span of two days on weekdays. Hope you enjoy!

“Quick, Keva! Run for it!” Felix grabbed the pistolets and started running down the road. It was on his tail, glancing back at the bakery owner, yelling something to catch us. I tried to run quicker, my breathing becoming faster and faster. I almost tripped but kept on pacing myself. We rounded the corner and ran into the orphanage. Quietly creeping up the stairs, we came to the bedrooms and stopped at the doors. Felix ripped one of the loaves of bread into two halves and gave one to me. Then, we both did our secret handshake.

Once I was in the girls' bedroom, which was located in the area that used to be a ballroom, I tiptoed to a specific sleeping bag and shook it gently. Cherise groaned and turned the other way in her bag.

"Come on, Cherise," I whispered. "I have breakfast." She opened her eyes and then yawned. Then, taking the roll, she tore off a bit and shoved it in her mouth. She swallowed, and then took my hand towards the bathroom. While she was in there, doing her business, I didn't mind, since I considered everyone family. I looked into a scratched mirror. Feeling the need, I tied my super straight hair into a midnight blue braid. Then, I looked closer and saw some streaks of brown. That's new, I thought. Once I was done with my hair, which is really long, by the way, I retook Cherise's hand and walked with her to the ballroom. Then, I looked at the clock and seeing that it was nine o'clock sharp, I got to work straight away.

"Okay girls," I murmured soothingly. "It's nine, so we'll have to go downstairs for breakfast. Today, I'm gonna give you guys... a minute to prepare. Go!" The girls jumped out of their sleeping bags and got ready to eat by brushing their hair, washing their face, brushing their teeth, and changing, but all while giggling.

This was a game that I created way back when. I basically give the girls time, and they have to get ready before then. Otherwise, they'll be tickled by me for ten seconds. And I was cruel when I tickled. The weakest spots were the armpit, the thighs, and the toes.

Once they were all ready, and everyone who needed to be tickled got their punishment, I lead the girls downstairs, and into the kitchen. There, we were supposed to help the chef out by cleaning plates, help cook the food, and things like that. I started with the stove since that was the most dangerous, boiling chicken noodle soup in a big pot.

I hummed a tune that I heard from the streets when Felix and I ran away and stole fish about a week ago. I remembered that time, where he pretended to play the trumpet, and I started to do a weak version of Irish tap-dancing. Then we began to burst into peals of laughter, and Felix even doubled over! I chuckled, still thinking about that time.

When we were done with all the kitchen work, we got plates and went out into the dining room. We went back and started putting the foods on the tables, and just in time, the boys started coming in. You might be thinking that it is unfair that we have to do the cooking and cleaning, but the boys have to help out Mr. Gibble, who works in the mechanic shop. They also have to clean out the poop in the animal stables. Talk about disgusting! But secretly, I've been learning how to work gears and make engines with Mr. Gibble. He's actually pretty nice, and he seems so familiar to me. And he reminds me of my dad...Anyways, the first time I actually made something on my own was when I learned to fix a locket that was my only keepsake from my parents. The clasp was broken, but thanks to my fixing skills, I was able to tweak it so it wouldn't hang anymore.

After we cleared the dishes and helped prepare some lunch, we went outside for some exercise, and that was when I was able to talk to Felix. As I was walking out of the kitchen exit, Felix grabbed my arm and pulled me behind a tree.

"Keva! I have something to tell you. I overheard this from Coach John. We're going to go to the Louvre Museum for a 'field trip'!" He piped. He seemed so excited. I rubbed my arm.

"Okay, first, that's two times you said my name today, and it's only 10! Second, What are we going to do there? And third, how's that important?" I demanded. Sometimes I had a nasty temper, and I was always stubborn. Felix started to get all professional. He did this when he thought he had a better idea than me.

"Well, Ms. Keva, I'm glad you asked the awesome Professor Felix," He started with a fake British accent. Out of all his accents, British was the worst. "Studies show that Professor Felix is always right, especially when-" I stopped him.

"Get to the point, Felix!" He put his hands out, with the palms facing me.

"Okay, okay. Yeesh!" He replied with his normal voice. "Coach John said that there was going to be a psychic there for the day, so we can ask if we have any relatives, and where we can meet them! I already have the money." He held up a bag of coins, which he earned from sweeping the streets in his free time.

"Good. I hope that we'll be able to go without Coach suspecting anything," I said with what I knew was a sly smile...

*AT THE LOUVRE MUSEUM*

It was two hours since the beginning of the tour. I was starting to get bags under my eyes, but not because I slept for three hours. "And this, kids, is the Winged Victory of Samothrace. It was wonderful-" Felix lifted his hand, interrupting Coach's droning. He raised his eyebrow. "Yes, rookie? What are your thoughts?"

"Well, I've been thinking, CAN WE GO SEE THE FORTUNE TELLER NOW AND END THIS NAPTIME? But really, I mean to say, when do we get to see other gracious things in this precious museum, sir?" Everyone laughed. Even Coach.

"Well, rookie, since you made everyone laugh, right now." A couple of the kids cheered and started running towards the direction the map showed to go to the "daily special." "Oh, and no running!" He yelled after them. I started to lightly jog after them, making sure that I wasn't too far behind and that they were safe.

When we were in a neat line, I went back to go to Felix. Then I punched his arm.

“Hey, what was that for?” He moaned. I smiled.

"For making everyone laugh at you." Then I walked to where Cherise was. The reason I was with her was the fact that when she came to the orphanage when she was two, I was the one that took care of her, with some guidance from adults. She grew up with me at the orphanage, so she always clings to me. "Hey, Cherise. What are you going to ask the oracle?" She looked away.

"I'm going to ask her if my parents loved me or why they chose to leave me," She mumbled quietly. My eyes bugged out. I was shocked that a five-year-old would ask something so profound!

"Woah! That's so smart! I was going to ask the person if I would get in trouble for taking the chocolate out of the closet!" Cherise laughed, and so did I. Then, I went behind her in line, and chatted with her.

When I was first in line, I took a deep breath. Deep, but shaky. I walked into the tent and sat down on a mat. The woman had very curly hair, with many rings and bracelets.

"What is your question? What do you want to see?" She had a strong Russian accent, and her icy blue eyes pierced me. I took another breather.

" Where are my closest relatives? Can I go home?" I laid down 13 euros on the table, as she looked into her crystal ball. Then she got her cigar and started puffing smoke, casually lying on the back of her chair.

"You know him, and you already are home," She merely replied. I needed more information! I put my hand on the money. Her eyes got sharper. I asked,

" Could you be more specific?" She sighed and put her cigar down.

"Do I have to spell it out for you, orphan? The crystal ball said, 'Th're is a relative yond thee knoweth of, but doth not knoweth. That gent is within thy limits'. Got it? Next!" She called.

"Wait!" I screamed. "I must know more. Please!" She locked eyes.

"Look within your small orphanage. See who you'll find." Then she averted her gaze. Suddenly, I was pushed out.

I ran over to Felix, who was with Cherise and Zolten, one of Felix's "little brothers."

"Felix! I think I know where my relative is! He's a boy, though." I looked at him, and he started gaping like a fish.

" I asked her if I have any relatives, and she said yes! But she wouldn't tell me who they were and where they are!" I rolled my eyes.

"Felix, everyone has relatives. You should've just asked her where is my closest relative. I technically asked that." Nervous, I fumbled with my locket. POP! The front of the necklace snapped off, leaving a heart-shaped thing with gears on the front. “Oh no!” I gasped. I took the part that fell off and was about to reattach it, when...

“Look, Keva! There’s a picture!” Felix pointed. And he was right. There was a tiny photo on it, and when I squinted my eyes, I gasped again. It was a picture of Mr. Gibble, a woman, and what looked like a younger version of me. I looked back at the tent, and no one was on the line. Then I saw the psychic again. She glanced at me and then grinned. Then I looked at a painting, and all I saw were the words Keva Gibble written on them. Then, my eyes rolled up into my head, and I fainted.


I opened my eyes and saw my surroundings. Then, I spotted Mr. Gibble and me as a little girl. I also saw a woman. As I stepped closer to the family, I heard the man say,

“Come on, Kangaroo Keva! Can you go get your broken toy for me? You’re fast!” The girl started hopping like a kangaroo, and she went into the house to retrieve something. Meanwhile, the dad and woman began to discuss something.

“You can’t leave, Samuel! I won’t be able to raise a child myself! You could die in the war, and I might die on the child because of my cancer!” Samuel? I thought. That’s the first name of Mr. Gibble! The man held her hands.

“I know, Isa, but it’s the best we can do. We have no money, she needs food, and I don’t have a job. They promised to pay us for my service.” Then, the girl brought out her little locket. Just like mine. The dad took a screwdriver out of his back pocket and then started to fix her pendant.

“There you go, Keva. I love you.” Then he kissed the girl on her forehead.

“Thank you, Mechanic Gibble!” The girl squealed with delight, taking the locket and dancing inside the house.

The scene changed. It was the mom in a hospital bed, with the little girl looking about seven. A messenger came to the bed, with sweat on his forehead.

"Ma'am! Something terrible has happened to your husband! His memory has been wiped! He doesn't know anything!" The mom looked up with glassy eyes, and said, "Make sure he still takes care of Keya." Then her head leaned forward, and her back slouched. I knew that this woman was now dead. The girl started weeping. The messenger cried,

“Doctor! The woman is dead!”

Another scene came into play. The girl was led into a tent, and on the top it read, Hypnotizing. The girl tugged the nurse’s skirt.

“Ma’am, what is this place?” She asked. The nurse sighed sadly.

“Keva, this place is going to help you with your mother’s death, and your father’s memory loss. It will make all the bad feelings and all the bad moments like that go away. Of course, not all of the bad memories, my mistake. What I meant to say was that you will not remember your mommy and daddy’s horrible fates.” The girl pouted.

“That-that sounds bad. Can we not go in here, please?” The girl was almost about to cry. The nurse shook her head, and she patted the girl’s head.

“Sorry, my love. But the psychologist said so. Otherwise you’d be pretty much scarred for life. You’d have a hard time coming through.” Then the nurse ushered the little girl to sit on the stool, and she left the tent.

Finally, there was one last scene. The dad was with his girl, and they were both in front of the orphanage. Another woman said,

"This is where you'll be staying. Mr. Gibble, you'll be working here."

Then I woke up. And I screamed.

“Dad!” I cried. Mr. Gibble, or dad, as I should say, came running out of nowhere.

“What? WHAT?” He looked around as if to seek a serial killer who was stalking me. I laughed, with my stomach hurting again from giggling last night. He accidentally wore his pajama pants backwards.

“I need help with this. Could you test it?” I asked. I handed him a gate  that I created so the sheep and the horses wouldn’t escape their stable. He groaned, taking it.

“Ever since that night where the doctors restored my memory, I’ve been protecting you so much.” I winked.

“That’s right! You’ve been so over-protective. This orphanage doesn’t bite!” Then I went inside to get some spinach soufflés from the kitchen. As I passed the hall, I saw Cherise. “Hey, amie! What’s up? Did Dad see you sneak eggs from dinner into the room, again?” I joked. She looked up.

“Well, Felix is really weird today. Him and I were drawing, when he started drawing a heart.” I laughed.

“Felix is always really weird. I think he drew it for Dad, and for us. We love each other, remember? Never forget it.” I hugged her really tight, until I heard a muffled “geroff”. Then I went to the kitchen, fingering my new locket with a picture of my new family in it. It had Cherise, Felix, and Dad. Even though Cherise and Felix weren’t really my blood family, and I knew that the orphanage wasn’t really my childhood home either, but in my heart, I knew that I was where my true family really was. I was home.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.