Light Upon The Solstice | Teen Ink

Light Upon The Solstice

By Pheros1013, Canton, Michigan
Pheros1013, Canton, Michigan

I see a light, a nice bright glow.
I’m lying in the middle of, what it feels like, a shallow pond? Maybe, where am I?
Everything is blurry except this illumination, like a brilliant photographer in my brain decided to focus on it.This glow is warm and beautiful, even if my soaked clothes feel cold against my skin.
“I am Jaspar Sun ”
Geez, my own voice scares me. I still have that annoying slight lisp and raspy sound. Luckily, my vision cleared up and I see an arc. A bridge, far way down the pond and up very high, close to where the sun strikes noon. In the middle of the bridge, on the ledge facing me, I see a stone. Bright, shiny, with a slight red transparency, the stone is being shined on by the setting sun. I sit up from my laying position. My body is overwhelmed with a sore, shooting pain. I shudder as my hand immediately shot up to my shoulder.
C’mon! I wake up in the middle of nowhere and this, is what I get? I don’t even know why I’m here! I feel like that light something to do with it.
Okay, let’s go find out where I am. That bridge must go somewhere.

I ignored the searing pain in my shoulder and got up out of the shallow waters. Several droplets of water showered the ground from my soaking wet blue bomber jacket and white crew neck tee. My wet, dark wash jeans felt heavy against my knees and shins. Thankfully, my belt is made of black leather, otherwise my pants would be down at my ankles. My long, dark brown hair is dripping on my face and cheekbones with cold water, making me shudder again. I run my free hand through my hair, close my grey/green eyes and sigh. I was about to drag my foot through the shallow water, but then I freeze. I felt a warm sensation travel up my forearm, to my torso, and to the back of my neck. I look at my hands and arms, feeling really stunned. My jacket is dry. I look further down, at my shirt and jeans, and find that the rest of my clothes are dry. I heard a quiet bell chime behind me. I turned around to see who or what was making the noise, but I saw no one. I saw a red glow in the corner of my eye and turned towards the bridge. It was the red stone, flashing. It only flashed once, like it was winking at me and smiling. It didn’t blink once more. I didn’t know what to think after that, was it the stone speaking to me? Whatever, at least my clothes are dry, except my shoe.
I start walking to the right, where I find the shore and a hill. I drag my black high tops across the pond, over the shore and start climbing the hill. Surely, something will tell me where I am. I take a deep breath at the top out of exhaustion, and I turned around as I did to see my surroundings. I gasped from the sight.
Across the bridge, a giant castle filled the skies and the horizon, and my eyes. The path between me and the structure is about a mile. I felt a deep power radiating off the castle’s exterior. I probably shouldn’t go there, it felt like a dangerous power was inside and I really don’t feel like fighting off bad guys at the moment. I turned back around to see the surroundings. All I saw was thick, wide forest. I thought there would be some kind of shelter in the forest. So I started walking.
I made my way down the surprisingly steep hill. The grass is damp, like it had just rained. The grip on my shoes didn’t cooperate with the wet ground and I lost my footing, practically falling the rest of the way down.
I find myself crashing into a bush outside a forest. My head hurts even more than my shoulder, but I guess I’ll live.
Once I got out of the bush and finish picking out the grass from my hair, I hear something.
“Stop! I’m just passing! You don’t want destroy me along with the forest! What will King Eridan say?”
It sounded more like a plea than threat. It was a female’s voice, and it sounded close to where I am.
I don’t know why but I started running. My legs just carried me straight where the girl was. I didn’t even know where the heck she was!
I came face to face with a woman against a tree and a large man, maybe seven feet tall, wearing a army attire. He holds an axe in one hand and a torch in another. He wore a tough, scary expression that only childhood nightmares have. He had a threatening aura, unlike the woman. She wore a caped light brown wardrobe, the robes magical wizards wear, her long dark brunette hair pulled back fastened by a pin. Her expression was unreadable, but her eyebrows were furrowed, teeth clenched, and there was a light in her hazel eyes, like looking through a keyhole of a box or relic and wanting to find the held secrets.
She was holding a large book in her hands, probably half of the reasons why the man confronted her.
“Eriden won’t think badly of us, he’ll only destroy you and your entire colony!”, the man said, with loads of confidence and a slight chuckle, like he knew something we didn’t.
I knew this man was trouble compared to the woman. I quickly put myself in front of the girl, blocking her with my body.
“Get out of here! You heard her! Whoever this King Eriden is, go back to him!”
The large man got a really mad expression, and started to charge towards me.
I shoved the girl away from the tree and started to run away from the scene.
“C’mon, I know a way out!” The girl exclaimed.
She grabbed my hand with a soft but urgent grip and sprinted through the trees. I could hear the loud footsteps and angry grunts from the man, and they were getting louder and closer. The sprinting brunette looked back at me for a second. She gasped.
“Run in a different direction. Use your necklace and aim towards the Warlock. He can only follow one of us. It’s me he’s after. GO!”
“Wait! I don’t even know your name! I’m not even wearing a necklace! What if he gets you?”
She let go of my hand and said, “I’m Geo, don’t worry about me. And look down at the red pendant on your neck. YOU KNUCKLEHEAD! HURRY!!”
Geo made a sharp right around a tree, and I saw the Warlock do the same. I look down and saw almost the exact same red stone at the bridge, just smaller and attached to a black thread around my neck. I pulled the necklace over my head and did what Geo said to do. I ran towards Geo and Warlock and aimed the stone directly at the Warlock. The stone started to shake and light up. It sent this large red beam so faster, I almost blinked and missed it. The beam hit the monster and he collapsed onto the ground. The monster soon turned into white mist and drifted away with the wind. My jaw dropped and I looked up to see Geo smiling running back to me. She enveloped in a giant bear hug, giggling happily.
“You did it! I knew it was you! You’re Jasper, right?”
She let go of me and looked at me with cheerful eyes. They looked full of hope , was it because of me?
“Yeah, I’m Jaspar Sun. Are you okay? What did that guy want? How do you know who I am? Who’s Eriden?”, I said with worry in my voice. Why am I so intrigued by her? I literally just met her.
“I’m fine. It’s a long story. I’ll tell you later. I need to take you to Harrison at the colony. He’ll give you the answers to most of your questions. I’m guessing you are lost, trying to get to the castle, judging by how you came from the direction from the pond.” She said, tucking one of her pieces of hair behind her ear, which probably fell out from running.
“How the heck did---” I started, but Geo interrupted
“That all will be answered to where we are going. Follow me”
As we did. We walked through the thick forest until I see the glimpses of a small village, a town you will.
“Welcome to Evanescence. Home sweet trash, ya’ think?, she looked back at me, “it’s not always this bad and dirty, and the people here aren’t either.” Geo explained.
She turned back towards to colony and guided me through the dirty streets of Evanescence to an old one story building with a sign that said Time Library. We walked in through the hard, squeaky old door and I gasped. 
The building looks so small and rugged outside but the inside is just packed with large shelves of books. The lined up the walls and they are set up as aisles and through the center aisle was a large, dark mahogany desk which stretched across about seven feet. There was a chair behind the desk and sitting in it was an old man, probably at the last of his time, wearing glasses looking over books and scrolls. He had an intent look on his face, like he has been looking at the same thing for hours but still focused on his one goal. He had a wrinkled face, as one would expect, and green eyes that look like they’ve seen everything in his life’s experiences.
“I know, the look of the library gets me everytime” Geo chuckled at my awed expression.
Geo cleared her throat and made her way through the aisles to the desk, toward the old, wise man.
“Sir, I have returned with what you requested.” Geo said, dropping the ancient book she was carrying through the forest, onto the man’s desk. Next to his pile of scrolls.
“Thank you, Geo. I didn’t want you going through the forest to the castle without your father, you could’ve gotten hurt. But I’m still happy you’ve retrieved it.” He said with a smile, but worry was still shown in his eyes. He leaned to the right and looked at me with a curious gaze.
“And who might you be, my boy?” He had a soft, sage voice, obvious filled with curiosity.
I was afraid of saying something completely stupid, but Geo got the message and helped me.
“This is Jasper, Harrison. The Jasper, we can stop this chaos from happening now.”

The Jasper? What made me important to be THE of something? I mean, the stone must have something to do with it….I looked at the stone for a second and back at Harrison. He, like Geo, now had hope in his expression.
“Yes, I am Jasper Sun. I’ve heard a lot, yet very little about you, Harrison. Geo told me you could help me with my questions. It seems like I’m important to you?”
“Yes!Yes! Come sit. Mind my manners.” He said with a nervous chuckle.
With a wave of a hand, two chairs appeared from thin air. I took the seat, and focused my gaze at both Geo and Harrison.
“So first, how do you guys know who I am?” I questioned with furrowed eyebrows.
Both Harrison and Geo chuckled. What is with that?
“My boy, you’re one of many people I’ve known for a thousand year” Harrison said with a sigh, while grabbing Geo’s book from his desk and fiddling through the pages and stopping at one with ancient pictures.
“Your past lives, all the people that were chosen before you, came to this place for guidance. They all have woken up at the same pond near the bridge and wandered through the forest until finding this place, they’ve were brought upon us to bring peace with their powers.” He continued, pointing to the heroic drawings of the men and women that held brave faces and strong powers. How did he know I woke up at that pond? Was I really chosen? One picture stood out. It looked like half the picture was in broad daylight and the other side, across the bridge, had dark skies and a sinister looking castle. It was a deep contrast to the other half of the picture. The thing that was intriguing was the red and blue beams of light, like the light that shot the Warlock. The lights were dancing across the picture, like they were fighting.
“What happened when this picture was taken?” I pointed out curiously.
Harrison sighed, along with Geo, they both had troubled faces.
“This picture was drawn when the Chaos Solstice happened. During this time, on the summer’s solstice, the two halves of good and evil make peace. And the Keeper is the one that shines the stone on that bridge to balance the powers.” Geo explained distraughtly. Something bad is coming, just by looking at her, I knew.
“One day, the last Keeper was going across the forest to the bridge, but she didn’t make it. The Henchmen of the King were there, ready to take over Evanescence by killing the Keeper and destroy the balance of Good and Evil. They wanted to cause madness and conquer. But they didn’t..” Geo paused. She exhaled uneasily, and admitted,
“My father slayed the Captain of the Henchmen before anything could go wrong. My father still lived and is alive today. But we still have problems” This all seemed so complicated and chaotic that I feel so guilty for even existing. Geo and everyone else had to endure all of this, and I still exist? I never wanted to hurt anyone, ever.
Harrison decided to continue.
“The Henchmen took the stone necklace the Keeper wore in that battle, almost the same one you’re wearing except it’s blue, and they’re holding on to it. They’re planning an invasion with it. From what we know, thanks to Geo’s sneaking around, they’re coming on this solstice, and gonna burn the forest down with the stone. The stone holds a  lot of power and heat, which could destroy everything.” Harrison told, looking back at Geo for her to finish the rant. Geo nodded while resting her hand on the side of her head, rubbing circles on it, like she was stressed. 
“And me and Harrison were studying through here, looking for a way to forge another power source to counter the attack. Now that we’ve found you, the next Keeper, what better way to counter the blue stone’s power with its opposite equal power, the red stone?” Geo spoke, happily. I’m the Keeper. The opposite power, and all I’ve caused for everyone is work, pain and stress, why should I not be dead by now?
I gulped, “When’s the solstice?”
“Two days”, Harrison and Geo answered simultaneously.
I sighed and gasped at the same time, if that’s even humanly possible. I continued my array of questions.
“What did the Warlock want back at the forest, Geo?” I questioned anxiously.
“I was sneaking around the castle and that’s where I got this book” Geo pointed to the large book,:”and I wasn’t being careful enough when passing through and caught his attention. My goal was to get the information without attracting an army, but I guess we can’t always get what we want.” Geo acknowledge sarcastically.
“The King is aware of the balance between Good and Evil but is oblivious to the Henchmen’s plan...stupid Eriden.” Harrison muttered to himself. Me and Geo bursted out with laughter. Harrison looked back at us with wide eyes.
“I mean, a war could happen and all of it is happening under his nose, with HIS HENCHMEN” Harrison pointed out.
“Alright, alright. Here’s what I’m thinking. We gather an army and defend the bridge on the Keeper’s Day, I’ll shine my stone aiming at the castle and restore all balance with my magic voodoo powers. How does that sound?” I offered.
“Well, it’s not voodoo magic that you have but it’s a start to a good plan How about you Harrison?” Geo asked.
“We’ll talk more tomorrow, it’s almost sun-down and we all need sleep. Geo show him to a room to stay in?” Harrison insisted.
“Okay, fine. C’mon Knucklehead.” Geo smirked while gliding around the book shelves to a staircase.
“It’s Keeper, actually” I corrected.
“Well, you’re still a Knucklehead to me, no matter how powerful your jewelry is” Geo talked back, giving me a glance with her eyes before turning back and walking up the stairs. She’s a smart aleck, but humble and sarcastically engaging at the same time. I need to stop thinking about her, if I’m gonna save this town. I’m glad I saved her from that Warlock, did she even need my help? I doubt it.
Geo and I arrive at a door in a long hallway with several doors.
“This is your room, extra clothes are in the drawers and there is a bathroom in the bedroom. If you need me, knock on the door across the hall” Geo pointed to the room,
“that’s my room, anyway, goodnight” Geo finished, and I thought she was just gonna turn around and go into her room, but she did something I never thought she would do. She kissed me on the cheek and quickly turned around to go into her room.
“G-Goodnight” I said nervously. She shut her door, but only after she smirked and winked at me. I raised my hand to my cheek, where she kissed me. I chuckled softly and I felt my face turn red, thank god she isn’t in the hallway to see me. This girl does something so simple and my heart jumps, I can’t explain it.
I smile to myself and turn around to enter my room. I crashed onto the bed as sleep quickly enveloped me, I slept with a smile that night.  

I was back in the forest, a storm is blowing me back along with everything around me. I’m running somewhere, but I don’t know where to. My eyes are squinting because the wind is hurting my eyes. My vision becomes clear, I see a silhouette of a girl in a dress. She’s  in front of a large yellow light. I somehow get to her and pulled on her hand.
“Don’t go! I didn’t want anything bad to happen to you” I shrieked. I thought she couldn’t hear me because of the whistling wind and thunder. Yet, she turned around to look at me.
It was Geo.
“You made this happen by just coming here, you need to leave and never come back” She mumbled to me with a sad, empty monotone voice. I somehow heard her words, even with this storm, like they were the only thing that mattered, and every feeling she had within them, yet I felt guilty and confused.
“I only stayed for you!” I reasoned.
“Well I never wanted you to stay anyway” She let go of my hand and walked toward the light.
“No!”, I started running toward her but I just fell on my knees. My vision was blurry from my eyes that began to drop tears, but I knew she was gone.
“Only for you” I murmured, and I closed my eyes with the memory of hearing demonic getting louder.

“JASPER!!! I’M HERE, WAKE UP! WE GOTTA GO---”
I quickly sat up from the bed, panting. Sweat was evident on my forehead and I blinked a few times before deciding this was reality.
“Woah, are you okay?” Geo questioned, with worry laced in her voice. She must’ve been the one that woke me up. The again, whose laughter was that? I sighed, wiped the sweat off my forehead and ran my hand through my hair.
“Um...Yeah I’m fine. Don’t worry. It was just a nightmare.” I assured her.
“Nightmare? Wanna talk about it or should I get Harrison?”
“Neither, I’m okay. I just overreacted and freaked out in my dream. I don’t need Harrison” I denied nervously, trying to seem confident. She gave me a suspicious glare and waved it off.
“....Anyway, you need to come with me to the army barracks. You’re gonna meet everyone, including,” Geo paused for dramatic effect.
“my brave-amazing knight father” Geo stated sarcastically.
“Well shouldn’t that be exciting. Should I dress to the occasion?” I replied, playing along with Geo’s sarcasm. I actually am wondering if I should because I am meeting the man helped the last Keeper, plus, I feel something towards Geo that I don’t know if it could somewhere. For now, I’ll just make a good impression for the sake of it. I’ll bury these feelings down and be on my way after the battle. I’m dangerous to everyone, and if I get closer to Geo, she’ll be in more danger. That’s the last thing I’d ever want.
“Nah, you’ll look ridiculous no matter how hard you try” Geo retorted back, giggling while ruffling my bed-head. Oh yeah. I still have a bed-head.
“Just leave for a lil bit and I’ll come out presentable” I said, while moving my legs across the side of the bed. I pushed myself off the bed but I felt a sharp shoot through my body.
“AHH..SS” I hissed. I rushed my hand to my shoulder. I forgot about my shoulder pain from the pond. Now that I think about it, I didn’t feel the pain when I was with Geo at all. My mind just focused on her, not the discomfort from falling down a hill.
“ Oh my god, sit on the bed. Show me where the pain is” Geo demanded in a soft voice.
She held me in place and helped me sit back on the bed. She rushed to cupboard in the corner of the room. She came back with her hands with scissors, white wrapping bandages and wooden splint to put on my shoulder as support. She helped me take off my shirt and bandaged me with the splint. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks but I hid my embarrassment by criticizing on how bad she is at bandaging me. In reality, she helped me back up in 5 minutes flat with new clothes and my hair tousled on my head.
“So….um... how did you hurt yourself like this?” Geo stuttered, while bandaging my shoulder. Was she nervous? Oh, she asked me a question.
“I woke up in the pond like this, actually. Looks like the some of the earlier Keeper’s injuries were passed onto me. And then I was walking down that hill near the forest and I slipped on the grass. I rolled down the hill into a bush and that’s when I saw you” I told honestly. She murmured a laugh, which made her look like the most adorable thing ever because she was also suppressing a smile. She’s beautiful, and she’s better off without me. This battle will settle everything.
“Sounds like you’re really clumsy. Do I have to be by your side every time you get yourself in some crap situation?” She challenged.
“Only for a little while” I declared.
“Alright, let’s get this over with” I sighed jokely. Geo lightly shoved me and lead me out the  door.

We were walking through the streets of Evanescence, which I didn’t notice how charming it is. Sure, it is a small, quiet, old town but it had it’s high points. It was high noon and the town was at its relaxed, laid back state. Geo led me to a large field with cabins and a barrack, and multiple men were scene in practice armor engaging in swordsman training. Geo waved and said hi to a couple of the men as we passed through the Barrack. The Barrack was essentially a giant weapons armory with some change rooms. We stumbled through the big building and made it to the back, which had a water machine. A couple people in knights’ attire were talking and leaning on it. One man stood out, mostly because he had a blue streak in his hair and a red visible scar across his eye. He looked friendly but brave and broad.
“Hey Dad!!” Geo shouted happily,and ,of course, the man with the scar turned and hugged Geo.
“Hey Vonnie, what’s up with Harrison these days?” He said casually, his voice was husky and heavy, yet warm.
“Harrison is fine. Still working hard and letting me help him with research. She replied quickly. ScarFace looked up from his daughter and locked eyes at me, Surprisingly, one eye was a tone darker in red than his other brown eye. Strange, but interesting.
“Are you a newcomer?” He directed his question at me.
“I’m Jaspar Sun. And no, I’m not, actually. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Captain.” I said in a confident voice.
“Yeah, Dad, he’s the Keeper we’re looking for. Just in time for the solstice. We’re saved!” Geo grinned towards her father.
“My,my,my. I was friends with the other Keeper. And I plan to keep it that way. Pleasures all mine. Keeper of Sun.” The Captain said, as he bowed his head toward me. He just BOWED toward me.
“Well, Jaspar is helping with the battle tomorrow and I felt obligated to introduce you guys” Geo inserted.
“Okay, follow me Jaspar. The plan is quite simple. The map will explain” Captain directed, while walking towards a slanted desk that had a lantern and a dark ink layout of the entire land.
I stood next to him and watched as he pointed at the distinct marks on the map.
“We’re here, and the castle along journey across bridge. As you’ve experienced, the forest between the bridge and where we are isn’t difficult to get through, but it is easy to get lost in and is time consuming to run an army through. Our army has been trained for thousands of years to know this forest inside and out. We’re using that as an advantage” He circled his finger around the area I woke up in.
“This, is something to our advantage. The pond is where the Keeper always goes back to. In your heart and soul, you know every way into this area. It is your safe-zone, you may say” He explained.
“We will start assembling the army six hours after dawn, and plan to defend and be at the bridge as soon as the King’s Henchmen show any sign of arrival. You’ll be at the pond and cross the bridge to the center to shine your stone necklace. Once that’s executed, leave the rest to me. We need to get the blue stone from the Henchmen" The Captain said with a serious tone. He turned to face me.
“The stone has a fracture that’s not visible, but it’s deep. And another use of the stone’s power can cause an explosion and destroy the forest” He continued.
“If the forest is burned, then the King gets’ mad. The King gets mad, then a war is declared. No one wants that, right?” He drawled out the last word.
“Right” I said
“Got it, everything is covered. Things will work, Keeper Of Sun” The Captain offered a firm handshake. I took it and nodded.
“Captain, call me Jaspar” I nagged.
“Then call me William” He retorted with a friendly smile.
Deep down, all the stress just melted off me. William isn’t that scary guy I imagined in my nightmare at least. I need to forget that, I have a battle tomorrow.
Me and Geo were about to walk out when one of the knight soldiers came up to us.
“Keeper Of Sun, Harrison wishes to see you immediately. Without Geo” He said.
“Thanks George” Geo replied.
“No problem” He ran back into the training field. I gave Geo a questioning look, asking if I should go and if she’s okay with it. Geo just rolled her eyes playfully.
“Just go, I’ll be here when you come back. Go see what Harrison needs” She sighed.
“Alright, before I go, what were those scars that you dad had from?” I said with curiosity laced in my voice.
“Those were the effects of slaying the Captain of the Henchmen. The Captain had the stone in his hands and my dad hit him with his sword. My father’s sword damaged the stone, which caused the his scars” Geo said roughly.
“Well, his eyes and hair look cool at least” I responded.
“See ya later, Vonnie” I retorted jokingly. I was running across the field toward the Library at that point and then I heard:
“ONLY MY DAD CALLS ME THAT, BYE KNUCKLEHEAD” Geo’s voice echoed into the skies as I chuckled at her banter.

I opened the door to the Library, my eyes still aren’t used to it.
“You needed me sure?” I questioned while looking at Harrison.
“Ah. Yes, yes. Take a seat” His welcoming voice echoed through the Library. I jogged to his desk and sat at the chairs.
“So….um….what is it that you needed me for Sir?” I asked nervously.
“Jaspar, I know about nightmares. Also about Geo” He bluntly said. My eyes went wide. HOW DOES HE KNOW??
“Um--- Harrison is that a---”
“No, that isn’t all why I asked you here” He interrupted. He sighed and rested his elbows on his desk with his hands folded under his arms.
“There is power within you that is triggered by these kind of events. Trauma. Confusion. Love….”
“Woah, woah, woah wait. I’m not in love with Geo. i just met her” I swore in response.
“Jaspar, it’s okay. Your past lives are proof that it’s normal” He assured.
“But also, the power that is obtained by these events is very overwhelming. Your nightmares are the effect of it. You were made to be a dictator, Jaspar. With this power” He said suspense following his net words.
“What I didn’t tell Geo or you was that the Keeper that died at the bridge during the Chaos Solstice was the Captain Of The Henchmen, himself” He admitted. My powers were made for evil. The last Keeper wanted to take over everything. He couldn’t. The Captain may be dead but his Henchmen still want revenge. I could turn evil anytime soon after this battle. I shouldn’t exist if this is what it comes to.
“The Henchmen want revenge, yes. We need to win this battle to restore the rightful balance between everyone. Otherwise, everything will----”
“Crash and burn and fall apart. I know Harrison, I’ll take care of it” I sputter with grief in my tone. I sighed.
“I should go to bed. The battle is six after dawn and I should get rest. Goodnight Sir. Tell Geo I say the same” I said as I walked up the stairs and to my room.
I’m leaving tonight, before the army assembles.They’ll still follow with the attack plans, and I’ll shine my stone and runaway. I can’t go back to Ixcalibiar. If there is a chance that I could save everyone from the Henchman, King Eriden, and from me turning into a monster, then I’ll take it. William got those scars from the battle with the Keeper, him or Geo won’t get them again.

.
I grabbed a sack in one of the cupboards and started stuffing random shirts and jeans from the drawers next to the bed. I pulled the bag over my shoulder and looked out the window. The night seemed silent and dark, no one should be out now.I looked down at the red stone around my neck. I studied it for a second. It wasn’t sharp at the edges but it wasn’t dull either. It was about twice the size of a coat button. It felt light, but sturdy. It felt precious, like diamond. How could this simple stone hold powers that could destroy the mainland and turn a pure heart into dark evil, yet still counter itself with equal good and magnificent abilities? I’m destined to betray everyone if I get close to Geo and restore balance, but if I don’t fulfill my fate, the Henchmen will not only destroy the forest, but also basically declare a war between the King and Evanescence. I’m being logical here. I have to go, I don’t know where but once I restore balance, I’ll travel far away. Everyone’s happy in the end, I’ll take that ending.
I opened my door slowly and closed it softly. I gripped my bag tighter as I slowly descended the staircase. The Library was an a amazing place, I bet Geo will read every book in here, she would do that, just for fun.
I exited the building and started walking out of the town. I decided to search the perimeter of the town for any paths to new place. All I had found was a big rock within a garden. I sat on the rock and looked at the stars. I read in a book at the Library that all the white shiny dots in the sky are past Keepers. They look down on us from up above and guide us through time. Maybe that’s fiction.
“Y’know the story about the sun and the moon?” I heard a familiar voice said. I was startled because I expected no one to be around at this time. My gaze meets the same brown eyes I’ve only seen two days ago.
“No, I don’t. Care to explain?” I asked. I had more questions to ask Geo but she seemed more focused on the stars as I was.
“They say the sun was in love with the moon. He loved her so much that he died every day to let her to breathe. Sounds like the philosophical romance crap but it always intrigued me since I was little” Geo told
“Why are you here?” I asked bluntly,
“I could ask the same question to you, but I’ll answer. This is my spot. I come here before every battle I’m in to talk to my mom, up there” Geo sighed.
“What are you doing here?” Geo retorted.
“I didn’t mean to intrude but I’m leaving now” I said quickly, before jumping of the rock. Geo grabbed my wrist.
“Wait, why? What about the battle?” Geo argued.
“Why not? I’ll still shine this stone at the bridge. I just have to leave!” I exclaimed.
“You don’t have to leave Jaspar, just stay until morning.” Geo said.
“Geo, you don’t understand! I could become the next dictator or somehow this stone could turn me into a monster like the stone did to the Captain Of The Henchmen! I don’t want to create another problem for Evanescence by just existing! You might as well just kill me now!” I shrieked with frustration.
“Don’t say that Jaspar! Evanescence needs you right now, you may be the Keeper but you don’t get to decide what is best for them. You can’t prevent everything bad from happening” Geo said softly.
“I can at least have the decency to protect you from me” I murmured with a monotone voice. Geo sighed and pulled me down to the right to sit with her. My eyes are sadly glued to hers.
“Jaspar, when my mom died when I was born, my dad was devastated. I found out when I got older and I knew my Dad wanted a son. He wanted son to train in battle with, someone like him.” Geo breathed in sharply.
“I wanted to be the person he wanted. I did everything my Dad wanted but I still felt bad because my Dad deserved so much more than me. He missed my mom. She was everything to him. The best thing to him, but the bad thing of me taking her away him had to happen” Geo reasoned.
“My Dad said he loved me no matter what happened to Mom. He still loves her, but now I’m the best thing to him. He had to go through that bad stage in order to find the good” Geo saif with no remorse.
“Same thing with you. You’re a blessing upon us Jaspar! Sure, maybe somewhat later in time, bad things will happen. We need the bad and evil to exist so we can enjoy the existence of the good” Geo grabbed my hand.
“You aren’t an abomination to us. You’re the good in this situation and you’re always gonna be. You just can’t run from the bad things forever. Life is about taking in all the good that balances the bad, not running away from your struggles, but conquering them and enjoying the happy ending for once. Jaspar, please.” Geo is the only reason I have for staying now, I don’t mind the bad because just her can brighten everything in me.
I sighed. If only it were easier.
“Geo. Only for you” I said with endearment in my voice. Geo smiled at me and turned her head to look at something.
“Guess that we talked for a while” Geo said pointing to the gleaming sunrise at the horizon. The familiar gleam of light was shining across the landscape. The army should be leaving to the bridge in at least an hour. I jumped off the rock and gestured my hand.
“C’mon, let’s go shine some light on the world” I chuckled. The pun was stupid, but Geo laughed with me anyway. Geo placed her hand on mine and leaped to the ground. The light from the horizon reflected off of Geo’s eyes, showing every star in the galaxy. I’m still in this battle only for her. It’s all because of her.
Geo and I made it to the army Barrack, just in time.
“Captain, I’m leaving now to the pond. Anything before I go?” I asked William, while he was picking out his shield.
“Keep your head up on the lookout. Not only in the battlefield, but in life” He paused.
“You’ll never know, life can go by in a blink of an eye. Enjoy it while you can” Willaim said. I turned slightly pink, I was thinking about Geo.
“Will do, sir” I shook his hand and started my walk to the mysteriously place that got me here, the pond.

I made my way through the forest, running, I realized that the Henchmen could be waiting at the bridge. I glided past the trees and saw a glimpse of the hill that I slide down.
I jogged up the same steep hill to be startled by the sight. A large black dressed army is running  towards the bridge, fast.
I dashed to the entrance of the bridge. It was made of marble and the bridge was quite longer than I thought it would be. The stone was in the middle of the bridge, I need to run. I looked up and saw one of the black dressed Henchmen, looking at me deviously. He had the blue cracked stone clutched in his hands. I had to do this now or never.
I ripped the necklace off my neck with my right hand, and sprinted to the stone. My hand was about to shine my stone with the bridge stone, but a harsh hand grabbed my wrist, pulling my hand back and deflecting the stone. It was the one of Henchman, similar looking to the one that attacked Geo. He grunted and raised his left hand that had the blue stone. I knew that if that stone came in touch with the light, it would all end. I pushed my left arm to divert his aim. I tried punching the man back, away from the middle of the bridge. It looked like the Henchmen was trying to do the same, but it turned in a way that we both didn’t want. My red stone slipped out of my hand, along with the blue stone, and plummeted down the high bridge, to the pond. The height was so large between the bridge and the pond, that the impact from the fall would shatter the stones. I leaned over the edge of the bridge, extending my arm, trying to catch my stone, but it was too late.
“NOOOOO!” I yelped out loud in frustration. The Henchmen just laughed happily.
“It’s no use, Jaspar. You can’t save Evanescence, you’ll be weak on your own.” The Henchmen said with an evil grin.
“WELL THAT’S WHY WE’RE HERE” A familiar voice shouted. I looked down and saw William on his horse, holding my red stone. He wore brave smile. William disappeared below the bridge and reappeared at the entrance of the bridge. I could see behind him that an army was making it’s way up the hill. William got off his horse and walked towards me. As I watched, the Henchmen grabbed me from behind and put a knife at my throat. William still kept walking towards me. He didn’t even flinch when he saw me get grabbed.
William was right in front of me. The Henchmen pressed the knife closer to my neck. All William did was kick the Henchmen in the gut, causing him to let go of me, gripped the man by his shirt and chuck him off the bridge. I kinda just stood there, eyes wide and mouth open. I should’ve just let William handle this. William then looked at me and pointed to the stone on the bridge edge.  I looked and saw the entrance packed with the black dressed army. I grabbed the stone from his hand and raised it to be shined by the light.
The stone released a ray of light into the sky, which caused this magnificent light show. The sky got lighter, like it was smiling. You can clearly see a woman wearing a white dress, glowing a blue translucence, and floating in the center of the sky. She opened her eyes, they were sparkly grey, lighter shade than my eyes. She flew towards me, majestically, and looked into my eyes.
“Thank you,” she said, in a silky, happy, followed by a closed mouth smile.
She faded into the light sky.
“That was the previous Keeper wasn’t it,” I said to William. It wasn't a question, she was the one killed on this bridge.
The sky illuminated a spiral light show of blues and reds, which soon faded into unity. Balanced was restored. The Henchmen raised their hands up in defeat when William walked toward them. The Henchmen surrendered.
“King Eriden won’t know any of this. I’ll spare your lives in that way” William declared. The Henchmen nodded and rushed back to the castle, which is a long way.
“Jaspar!” I heard a voice call behind me. I turned around and was engulfed in a hug by a certain brunette
“You did it, Jaspar” Geo said, her voice muffled by her head being pressed to my chest. I wrapped my arms around her in return.
“I did it” I paused and smiled. I pressed my hand across Geo’s cheek, gesturing for her to look into my eyes. Brown met green as I said,
“Only for you”

Everything seemed okay after that. Many years ago, that happened. I thought as I layed in the pond I was founded in, a year ago. I don't know how I ended up here. I know I’m for a reason and I’ll spend my life finding and protecting whatever that may be.
“Jasper! C’mon! The Evanescence Festival Of Lights is starting an 20 minutes and we need to get through the forest!” Geo hollered from the shore of the pond. She was wearing a red dress with golden accents on rose patterns near the waist. Her long hair was done in curls. She looked more magnificent and beautiful than the world’s rarest flower.
I sat up from the shallow pond and started walking towards Geo. My black formal jacket and white dress shirt were dry, along with my red tie. My black dress shoes squeaked when I stepped onto the shore. I saw a beautiful patch of white roses behind Geo.
“Well,” I trailed off, while grabbing the white rose. I snapped the stem and pushed it into Geo’s hair, I caressed her cheek.
“let’s go show off you there, beautiful flower” She blushed and pushed my hand down.
“Let’s go, Knucklehead.” She smiled and turned around.
“Only for you” I whispered, low enough so she doesn’t hear. And I followed her to the forest.