The Bloodbath | Teen Ink

The Bloodbath

By Sylvie Evans, Park City, Utah
Sylvie Evans, Park City, Utah

Author's note:

My friends Jenna and Lindsay came to me with some ideas and I couldn't resist.  In other words, this is dedicated to you guys!

Addie’s shivering body was sprawled across the hallway floor.  A silver spear was impaled into her right knee.  She wanted to cry out, but the fear of Spear and Sander coming back was too terrifying.  Addie listened to the rain that sprinkled on the windows.  Despite how hard she concentrated, Blade had no idea where she was and there was nothing she could do about it.
One week earlier, Addie had been waiting at the bus stop.  The morning air was brisk and the cold bit at her arms.  The breath of her and the two other youth was steaming from their lips.  Addie was the last on the bus as it rumbled up to the stop.  All the seats were taken except for an open space next to Jenna.
“This seat’s taken,” Jenna hissed in her low, quiet voice.
“No it’s not,” Addie began, “This was the last stop.”
Jenna glared, “You can sit there, but he’s not going to be happy.  Reaper is a little big on vengeance.”
Gingerly, Addie walked away from the girl.  Her eyes were black as night which made Addie agree to herself that she wouldn’t sit there.  She went to the back of the bus and squished herself in between some boys who paid her no attention.  The bus ride was miserable.
She hopped off the rusty bus to see her friend, Jacky.  She waved happily and skipped over to where Addie was standing.  Then, Jacky pulled her into a tight hug and twirled her around.
“You’re acting as if you hadn’t seen me in years, Jacky.  What gives?” Addie wondered aloud.
Jacky looked slightly afraid with good reason, “Rumor spreads that the Bloodshed has begun.  You were gone for a week and I thought… I just…”
She looked like she was about to cry, so Addie quickly said, “Ease up, I had the chicken pox.”
Jacky didn’t let go of Addie for the rest of the day except for when they had separate classes which happened a lot considering their age difference.  Jacky was two years younger than Addie who was a sophomore.  Fortunately, Jacky had skipped a grade which landed her in her freshman year.  Their relationship was that of a sisterly love.  Jacky had been orphaned at a young age and had been through too many foster families to count.  Her only family was Addie.
When Addie entered her small dank house, she threw her school bag on the floor and went to her room.  She threw her shoes and socks off and went back into the kitchen.  Before making a lunch, she washed her hands.
“That’s strange,” Addie whispered, “There’s something blue on my arm.”
She washed her arm and scrubbed with soap until the skin was blaring red, but the blue mark was still there.  Addie pulled her sleeve up and soon found herself sitting on the floor from shock.  There was a design that looked like the symbol for a blade.  Addie had no idea how she knew what it meant, but it was erie.  Then, she realized something.
“Blade is one of the seven followers in the Bloodbath,” Fear seeped into her emotions and she screamed, “No!  I can’t be a keeper!  No!”
At some point, Addie had blacked out.  Her heavy eyelids were forced open to see her father holding her head up and saying soothing words.  Then, as her vision cleared, she noticed her mother coming to them with a wet paper towel.  Then, she put the paper towel on Addie’s forehead.
“What happened, Addie?” Her father asked in a clearly concerned voice.
Then Addie remembered the thread of events that had plagued her before she had blacked out.  She quickly glanced at her arm and noticed that her sleeve was covering the mark.  Despite the question her dad had asked and the worried expressions her parents were giving her, Addie stood up.
“Where’re you going, Sweet Heart?” Addie’s mom pressed.
Ignoring her throbbing heartbeat, Addie said, “I have to go to the library for some… last minute studying.”
Her parents protested, but Addie didn’t pay them any heed.  She waltzed right outside and began walking to it.  The sun was setting when she arrived at the library and Addie was already feeling drowsy.  She continuously pinched her arm to keep herself awake.  If she was in the Bloodbath, then she had no time to lose.  There were too many people counting on her that she couldn’t allow herself to die.
She found multiple books about the Bloodbath and seated herself at a table.  Then, she began reading through the enormous books:
Chapter 1: The Bloodbath Origins
The Bloodbath started after the war of seven nations.  The first nation specialized in their sword fighting.  They were nicknamed, The Blades.  The second nation had a knack for archery and were, for obvious reasons, called The Archers.  It was no mystery as to why the third nation was known as The Spears seeing as all their soldiers carried lances and javelins to every battle.  The fourth nation battled from afar, or though it seemed.  They trained their warriors to be assassins and were later called The Reapers.  With an army filled with cavalry and trained animals serving them, the fifth nation was called The Tamers.  The sixth nation had no boundaries.  They trained their soldiers by throwing them in an arena and having them kill each other.  The last one standing was sent to fight for the nation.  Almost every soldier had gone mad with the horrors of war and for this, the nation was called The Rage.  Lastly, the seventh nation was small, but powerful.  They believed in magic and legend says that one day, the gods put pity on them and granted it to them.  They were seen as The Summoners to every nation around them.
Addie couldn’t bare to read any more of the drab writing so she skipped to the section about The Blades:
Chapter 9: Blade
There was no end to the war of seven nations.  Instead, it was rumored that the gods grew tired of the tedious fighting of man kind, so they destroyed the nations and packed it into an object called the Sacred Artifact.  It was made to grant a wish to the winner of the Bloodshed.  Blade is a real being that is conjured during the Bloodshed for the Keeper that owns her.  It does not vanish if the Sacred Artifact is obtained.  The Keeper can be identified by the mark on an arm.
Her eyes were wide with horror.  The image on the page had matched the image on her arm.  Despite how terrified she felt, she knew that she’d die if she didn’t try.  As a last attempt, she opened the book back up and flipped through the pages until she stumbled across a chapter that mentioned how to summon a Follower for a Keeper such as herself.  Addie found the answers she needed, returned the books to the shelf, and left the library.
She found herself entering a forest and with no light from the new moon.  It was erie, but she had a feeling that if she was actually included in the Bloodshed, then things were going to get a lot worse.  She laid a few abstract objects on the ground and drew a symbol around them.  Then, Addie chanted some gibberish that the book had told her to say.  Nothing happened.
“Well this was a waste of time,” Addie mumbled, but the fear was still etched inside of her.
Then, all of the sudden, a beam of light glowed from the pattern on the ground.  It was so bright, that Addie couldn’t see the other side of the forest through it.  Finally, from the burning sensation on her eyes, she averted her form and held there until the darkness seeped back in.  She turned to find a glow, but not from a light.  It was emanating from a figure.  It was a girl who looked no more than twenty years old.
“It is an honor to meet you Milady,” She announced politely to Addie with a curtsy.
“Hi,” Addie squeaked.
She moved forward while saying, “I know why I am here, but everything else is a little fuzzy, so please do be patient with me if I’m slow to grasp this new world.”
Addie shook herself awake and remembered her manors, “Do you have a place to stay tonight, because my parents have a spare bedroom.”
“What country is this?” Blade asked.
Addie felt like laughing, but the gravity of her situation prevented it, “We’re in the United States of America.”
Blade shook dirt off of her glowing white dress and dusted off the armor attached to the dress as she stood in front of Addie, “We cannot stay here.  The Sacred Artifact can only be won in the old city.  We must go to Rome.”
Addie nearly feinted, “Rome?  I can’t afford that!”
“That is quite unfortunate then.  You might consider making an alliance with another Keeper, so we can get there.  If you don’t, I fear that we will be snuck up on and killed in a matter of days,” She replied.
“Why would we die?  Can’t we call the police?” Addie exclaimed.
“I have heard of these police you speak of and I know that they cannot interfere with Bloodshed business.  As for why we would die, it is complicated.  You see, I can sense when other Followers are near, but without being in the presence of the old lands, my senses will grow numb and it will become a matter of time before Reaper or Summoner can hunt us down.”
Addie was starting to understand the Bloodshed more and more, but it just became more real and frightening, “Who do we need to ally with to get a ride there?”
Blade smiled, “You will need to find Tamer, Rage, or Summoner,” Then she paused, “On second thought, it wouldn’t be wise to find Rage, so why don’t we try to find Tamer or Summoner.”
Finally, Blade agreed that Addie would just go to school tomorrow and Blade would follow from a distance.  It would be the best chance for them to find another Keeper or wealthy kid who’d be willing to help her gain a ride to Rome.
The next day, Addie finally got her own seat on the bus.  Jenna had never missed  a day of school, but Addie wouldn’t complain.  There was no more dealing with her odd behavior.  In other words, for once, the bus ride was pleasant.
It was in her math class where everything went downhill.  She was partnered with a strange boy to do a work sheet.  He kept fidgeting and speaking nervously.  It all added up when she noticed his arm.  She could barely make out a faint black mark under his sleeve.
Addie panicked and bundled three common excuses into one, “I have to go get a drink from the bathroom in my locker!  Be right back!”
The boy gave her a confused expression, but didn’t object.  Addie booked to the supply closet where Blade was hiding.  Blade drew her sword at the sudden movement of the door, but instantly sheathed it when she saw Addie’s sweaty face.
“There’s a boy with a mark.  Do you sense his Follower?” Addie said quickly.
Blade’s face became serious, “I don’t sense anyone, but there could be a million reasons.  The Follower may be elsewhere or my senses could already be dulling.  One last reason is that the Follower may not have been summoned yet.  Did you at least see what the mark looked like?”
Addie sighed in relief, “I didn’t see all of it, but this was part of it,” She drew a curved line that seemed to be crossed with multiple others.”
“It’s hard to tell, but it resembles Spear’s.  Spear is honorable and will not fight unless the opponent accepts his challenge or he is attacked.  I want you to learn more of the Keeper to discover if he has a way to get to Rome and if you could go,” Blade commanded.
Grudgingly, Addie sauntered back to the classroom.  The boy was sitting on the floor with a finished worksheet.  When he saw her, he gave her an arrogant smirk.  She glared at him instinctively.
“Done getting a drink from the bathroom in your locker?  I didn’t realize people could have lockers that big,” He shrugged.
Addie forced her expression to stay bored despite how embarrassed she felt, “What’s your name again?”
“I’ve only been in your class for a semester,” He said, pretending to look hurt, but then he saw her annoyed face and said, “Sander.”
Addie had no idea how to bring up the subject of the Bloodshed.  Sander was staring at her while she contemplated.  His eyes fell on her arm and she looked down hurriedly, but only to find her sleeve over it.  She narrowed her eyes at him.
She was about to speak when he said, “How long have you been a Keeper?”
“How did you—”
Sander rolled his eyes, “Oh come on, your expression told me everything and after you ran off from seeing my symbol?  Let’s be honest; I don’t think you have much experience in lying.”
“Well since I can’t lie apparently,” Addie snapped, “I’m going to be blunt.  I need a ride to Rome and if you know how to get there, let me know.”
Addie stood up and began walking away, but Sander stopped her, “My dad owns a jet.  After I summon my follower tonight, you can come with me, but on one condition.”
“What?” Addie growled at him.
“Who’s your follower?  I simply am unwilling to give Reaper and Rage a ride,” He demanded, crossing his arms over his chest.
“Well since I have Blade, I don’t think we’ll have a problem,” Addie said smugly.

That night, Blade and Addie met Sander by the jet.  He was in the middle of summoning Spear.  In a flash of dark mist, a male figure stood with two sharp spears.  One was copper and one was silver.
Addie touched the edge of the silver spear, “Hunting werewolves with this?” She joked, trying to break the tension.
“I do not know what werewolves are,” Spear replied.
“Come on you three, it would be safest to leave now,” Sander said while climbing the stairs of the jet.
The jet shot into the air and gave them smooth sailing for a couple of hours.  The two kids sat awkwardly across each other in silence.  Blade and Spear on the other hand were comparing stories of their pasts.
Sander was the first to speak, “So I suppose this means we’re in an alliance?”
“Probably,” Addie shrugged, not knowing how to reply.
Then the lights went off.  Complete silence filled the air for five seconds, then ten seconds, then a full minute.  Blade was up on her feet with Spear looking around suspiciously.
“I don’t sense a Follower,” Spear whispered.
Blade tensed her shoulders, “This could be the work of Reaper…”
Then everyone held their breath and they knew it was true.  A tearing noise erupted from an area in the jet.  It was pretty easy to realize that the engine had just been ripped out from the feeling of falling.
Blade was the first into action.  She whipped out her glowing white sword and tore away a hole in the jet as if it were made plastic.  Spear grabbed Sander around the chest and… jumped.
Addie screamed, “Why would he do that?  They’re going to die!”
Then, Blade did the same with her and wrapped her arms around Addie’s waist, “It’s okay Milady, this won’t kill us.”
Then Blade leapt and they tumbled through the air.  The wind pounded on Addie’s face and made her lips dry.  The ground was coming closer and closer, yet they didn’t seem to be slowing down.  Addie tried yelling to Blade, but her voice was lost in the gust of cold.  Addie closed her eyes and felt the drop come to an end.  There was a loud explosion of dirt and gravel, but when Addie looked around, they were safely in the middle of a crater.
“Falling cannot break my bones or tear my skin, Milady,” Blade reassured though Addie was still shivering.
Then, Spear was at their side with Sander trailing behind.  That’s when Addie noticed a single grey cloud in the sky.  Then she squinted harder and noticed that it was actually the blurry image of a humanoid.  It didn’t look human though. It had a boney skeletal shape and the skin on it’s face seemed irregularly stretched back.
Spear and Blade formed a guarded circle around Sander and Addie.  Addie knew she had entered into the war, but it didn’t feel real until now.  She turned to Sander and saw her mirrored expression in his face.
“I’m sure they can handle it, Addie,” Sander’s voice shook.  It seemed like he was reassuring himself more than Addie.
Reaper glided to the ground with a barely audible thud.  His cape flew open and a girl tumbled out of his grasp.  Then, Addie narrowed her eyes and realization came upon her.  It was Jenna.
Jenna pedaled her feet back and braced herself for the battle that was about to begin.  After being nudged from Sander, Addie realized that she should have been doing the same.
Reaper disappeared into  shadows and came back up closer to them.  Blade stepped forward protectively, but Spear held back with the Keepers with an arrogant grin on his face.  Reaper disappeared again, but this time, Blade and Spear couldn’t discern where he had already, or was going to, pop up.
Addie watched the followers intently, but Sander continuously was nudging her arm.  The nudging didn’t stop despite Addie’s weak attempts at shoving his boney wrists away.
“Addie!” Sander exclaimed from outside the guarded circle.
Then her eyes widened.  She slowly turned her attention to the right and found Reaper giving her a cheshire smile from within Blade and Spear’s circle.  Blade, understanding what had just happened, turned to rescue Addie.  Sadly, Reaper had already pierced her shoulder through with a scythe and pulled her up with him.  Addie cried out in pain as he use his impaled scythe to drag her.
Blade twirled into the air after them.  She slashed her sword back and forth at Reaper who had dropped Addie hard against the ground.  He was distracted Blade while Addie bled out.
Horror erupted in Addie when she noticed Jenna slithering over with a devilish grin.  Her pitch black eyes glimmered with a terrifying form of guilty joy.  Sander stood back, watching his feet as the terrible scene occurred.  Spear on the other hand, was watching with pity.
“Help!” Addie pleaded desperately as Jenna loomed nearer, “Sander, help me!”
He pressed his hands over his face and muttered something to his follower.  To Addie’s ears it sounded like, “go”.
Spear rushed into action.  He took out the copper spear and drove it into Reaper’s skull from behind.  Reaper coughed black ash from his mouth and fell over.  His skin disintegrated into dust which blew away with the cold breeze.
Being outnumbered, one to four, Jenna collapsed onto her knees, begging for mercy, “Please, Addie!  Don’t kill me!”
Despite all the anger and rage Addie felt toward Jenna, she couldn’t bring herself to order the girl to her death, “I’ll spare your life today, but now you must leave and never show me your face again!”
Jenna began hurrying away until Spear bolted to her and sank the silver spear into her fair skin.  She gasped out in pain before collapsing on the dirt and writhing in agony.  Moments later, her body froze still and Addie knew she was dead.
In a angry flurry of resentment, Addie yelled, “What did you do?  She wasn’t hurting anyone anymore!”
Sander returned the glare, “We couldn’t let her live.  If a keeper loses their follower, they’re allowed to take another follower from a dead keeper if said keeper’s follower isn’t opposed to changing sides.”
“You’re just a murderer to me!” Addie spat and stomped away.
Before they left Spear and his keeper, Blade spoke to them, “You have prevented the death and Addie and I and for that, I am in your debt,” She began walking away, but then paused and turned to them again, “Don’t think that this makes me like you though.  You disrespected Milady and for that, you are in your own debt to us.”
Blade then scooped Addie’s legs up and began sprinting toward Rome.

To be continued...

Rome was beautiful.  It had warm gusts of wind that carried a sweet scent of flowers.  In some areas, it seemed empty and perfect for battle, but in others, it was crowded with tourists.  Blade set Addie down when they ventured in front of the colosseum.  She looked troubled.
“There’s a follower in there, Milady.  What would you like me to do?” She requested.
Addie rubbed her head questioningly until she finally announced, “Unless it’s a powerful one, I want you to fight!”
“It’s Tamer,” Blade began, “He’s powerful when at full strength, but otherwise, I could easily beat him.”
The keeper and her follower began making their way into the large arena.  Inside, was a large chariot with lions tangled in the rains. A young adult was waiting in boredom in the seat.  His brown hair fell loosely around his face when he complained to the large burly man who steered the chariot.
“See!  I told you one of them would come!”  The enormous man boomed.
Blade confidentially marched forward to face them head on, “I wish to challenge you Tamer!”
On the sidelines, Addie asked the boy in the chariot, “So… What’s your name?”
“Watts ituya,” He said with a smile.
“Oh!  Nice to meet you—” Addie paused, “Ha ha, very funny Mr.What’s-it-to-you.  Though seriously, what’s your name?”
He rolled his eyes ad Addie’s direct approach, “The name’s Asher, now get lost you little twerp.”
Deciding to yell encouragement to Blade instead of getting to know the enemy, Addie walked away.  She knew she’d be happy to win this battle.
Then something unexpected happened.  Blade was starting to lose.  Tamer clashed his longsword against Blade’s single one with all his force.  Blade crumpled from the weight and nearly became victim to it’s razor sharp edge.
“Use strategy Blade!” Addie yelled encouragement to her follower though Blade probably knew much more than her.
Taking Addie’s advice, Blade released her second sword from it’s sheath and pelted Tamer with a two sword attack.  To her dismay, tamer dodged the offensive strike and took a blow at Blade’s thy.  Addie didn’t see blood, so she suspected that her armored dress had protected her.
Their weapons clashed as the hours went on.  Asher had begun fanning himself with his book and Addie was now distractedly sitting on the dirt.  Every once in a while one of them would get the upper hand, but then it would shift and the whole battle changed courses.
Finally, Blade crossed her swords over Tamer’s and twisted the hilt from his meaty hands.  Giving Tamer no time to recover, Blade pressed the tips of her swords in an ex over his neck.
Asher was astonished.  The book had fallen from his fingers which left him fuming with anger.  He began yelling terrible insults at Blade and Addie, but they ignored him.
“I permit you to take his life,” Addie said.
Blade began cutting her swords through his tough skin when a blow knocked her to the ground.  Blade lifted her gaze while trying to stand up.  Her expression was clearly in a daze.
A chuckle came from above the four, “You can’t kill my ally!  I will not allow it!”
Lightning struck the ground with crackles and smoke swirling into the air.  No one was hit, but Addie had a feeling that they were just warning shots.
“Lindsay!” Asher ushered, delighted for once.
In a burst of rainbows, the girl named Lindsay floated down to Earth and gently placed her feet on the ground.  Above her was a woman with short black hair a tight black dress who seemed to be casting spells every which way.
“Summoner,” Addie growled, for once recognizing one of the followers.
Blade’s face looked slightly concerned, “I am unsure as to whether I’ll be able to save us from these followers, but it seems that we don’t have a choice.”
The battle began and Addie could tell that Blade was being pummeled like a punching bag.  They needed a miracle.  They needed… Sander?
Spear shot into the opening and took a hard hit at Summoner.  She flew back and Blade was given the perfect opportunity to strike.  She charged forward and made a finished blow through Tamer’s chest.  Tamer fell to his knees with a horrified expression.  Then, his body faded into thin air.
Seeing their loss, Summoner and Lindsay retreated into the sky.  Once again, Sander, Spear, Addie and Blade were faced with a choice that concerned murder.
“You killed the follower, so I give the choice of murder to you, Addie,” He actually looked guilty for harming Jenna earlier.
“I’m sorry Sander, I was afraid and didn’t realize what death was until that moment.  If you agree to be my ally again, I’ll let Blade kill him.”
Asher’s face was pale, “Don’t I get a say in this?”
“Go,” Addie whispered.
Blade shot forward and in the blink of an eye, stabbed Asher in the abdomen to perform a quick death.
“What do we do now?” Addie asked solemnly.
Sander took her hand, “The only thing we can do.  We must fight and survive.”