Hoverboard-Princess | Teen Ink

Hoverboard-Princess

November 22, 2012
By Esley, Lacey, Washington
More by this author
Esley, Lacey, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note: I actually had a dream about a girl riding a hover board and in her head all she wanted was to save her dad.

Kellsea: It starts with my jet black hover board in my hands. The window it open and I throw the hover board outside. It glides just below the window, making it my turn to come out. I balance pretty well. It’s no trouble to close the window before I spree away. I notice a hover car waiting at the corner. The window lowers and I catch a glimpse of Preston. He’s my best friend and sometimes my only friend in this town that gets lousier by the minute.
I used to have other friends, like Margo and Pam-Ella. When I was younger, my parents tried to homeschool me, but that didn’t work when my parents tried to teach me grammar and math, I had trouble actually understanding anything. Apparently I would say things like, “Why will not I?” And my writing was imaginably wrong.
So our neighbors on either side came to help me, Margo and Pam-Ella who were experts in the fields of English and math. Then we were best friends, but the two of them are no longer my neighbors since I moved. Sometimes it’s hard to keep contact. I wish I could go back to the way things were. Best Friends together – forever, but now it seems being far away has made us different people sometimes.
Pam-Ella and Margo like big parties.
I would prefer a slumber party with just a few friends.
Pam-Ella and Margo wear and know all the latest fashion trends.
I just experiment with whatever I have at home.
Pam-Ella and Margo love to talk - a lot.
I like hoverboarding and screaming at each other at the parks.
Pam-Ella and Margo have a larger ring of friends from their school.
I have only two friends now, Preston and my dad, Danael Hughward.
So that’s all. No big deal. I’m just this girl on a hoverboard now. I’ll be laughing in no time with Preston. When I’m in the car with him I feel like I can forget about Margo and Pam-Ella. They’re not my problem.
Preston asks, “So are you ready?”

“Mega Rad, let’s go!” Then we drive off.

We’re going to the biggest, baddest place any ameature hover-boarder would go to. That’s why we’re professionals. It’s all in our heads, but we’ve got the guts for this.

You would need guts to puke out later on.


Preston: Damn. Kellsea sure knows what she’s doing. I met her a year ago on these rails. Whenever I’m with her she’s always on that hoverboard and talking like there’s no tomorrow. It seems like when she touches the ground her quiet side comes back and will even take away her smile. We weren’t always friends if you haven’t guessed already.

A year ago I was just that random kid in the back of the classroom. Got pushed around, but I held on to plenty of things. Mostly hoverboarding. Suddenly the teacher got Kellsea and me sitting next to each other and things have changed. For the better I guess, but sometimes I feel like Kellsea doesn’t tell me everything that’s on her mind.

“Whoa. Hey, are you okay?” She had fallen off her board, but wasn’t even scratched.
“Yeah. I’m fine.” She got back on.
I tried to read off her body language, usually I was able to read people. Kellsea wasn’t one of them. “I guess you are.”
In a flash Kellsea was right over my head, “Hey!”
“So what!” She was almost vertically above me.
“Crazy person!” I watched as she was spinning back down. Just before meeting the concrete she pulled up again to do a loop.
“Hey, come back down!”
“No way! Check this out!” Another one of her flying stunts actually freaks me out. Once the kids called me the King of this lot, but now I think Kellsea took that position when she started hoverboarding. Kellsea is the true Queen of Hoverboarding.

Kellsea: By the time I return home. It feels like a dream. Then the next best thing happens. I remember what day it is and why I got Preston to take me out. It’s possibly the best day in the whole world is National Masquerade Day. The day when the entire world dresses up, parades in the streets and becoming anything they wish from dawn to dusk.
This year I am a legal driver and I have permission to be on my own in the city just with friends, no adult supervision any longer! My dad, Danael Kris Hughward made it a zillion times a zillion times better for me, “I can’t believe you got it!” I ran to my dad throwing my arms around his neck,“Thank you! Thank you! So much. By-doggers, I can’t believe this. By-doggers!” I kiss his cheek and rush back to the dress that’s fit for royalty.

I’m not a girly girl, but who doesn’t want to dress like a princess?

A princess is beautiful or so they always are in fairytales.
“You’re my little princess, Kellsea.” Then he laughs, “Anyhow, your brothers are too old for me to choose their customs. I thought I could do it one last time or you.” My brothers Jarrett and Liam tend to prove their masculinity every year by trying to outdo each other. Last year, Mom and I tricked the guys into both wearing caveman outfit. They were shocked to find they had exactly the same leopard skin cloth and underwear.
“Dad, you can pick my custom out every year!” Then I say sarcastically, “And I think Liam would love this gown in bright neon!” I started to swirl around in the bedazzled gown that I imagine princesses and duchesses wearing from so long ago.
This is the 48th century, but like I said on Masquerade Day you can become anyone. It’s funny, because that’s what my dad does every day. My dad is a secret agent for the – actually that’s a big secret in my family.
So if I tell you, I may have to kill you.
You do know I’m just kidding, right?
I’m just the daughter of an ordinary Computer programmer, I was just joking about the secret agent stuff. Every year my dad just dresses as a nerd, big, goofy glasses and a multi-colored cardigan. My dad isn’t the most exciting person; he travels across the country sometimes and always sends us the V-posts. I especially liked the one that was filled the computer screen with fireworks and in the background was New York.
New York, someday I want to be there – in the lights, on the stage. I suppose you can tell what my dream is. I will be an actress someday.
My dad says anything is possible, especially when you believe in it. “Belief is the first step to possibilities.” That’s what my dad has taught me. I guess I’m so excited that I forgot to twirl anymore. I was just standing in the middle of the room and holding the dress so tightly.
“Kellsea think it’s time you get ready.” Dad says, “Your friends will be here soon.”
I glance at the time, “Oh!” I jump to see the numbers at 6:23, “Margo could be right outside! Dad! Get out! I need to get ready!” Even as I say this, he’s already a foot out of the door. Just as I close it I take another glance at the dress, I can barely imagine this on me.
Yet it’s on me in a matter of seconds.
“Oh – wow. Doggers.” I say, stunned by my appearance. Even without makeup I felt gorgeous in this gown.
My door opens again and my ex-best friends which somehow remember Masquerade day, but not my birthday; Margo (a rather caliente pirate) and Pam-Ella (an equally caliente, sexy Egyptian) rush in, “O’ Doggers! Who are you!?” They cry, almost synchronized.
“You better mean it! Isn’t this dress – “
“The most specutiful sight imagined! O Mega Doggers!” Shrieks Pam-Ella, “You gotta tell me where you got this!”
“My dad got it. Last minute or else I would be a fairy again.”
“This is so digging better!” Margo takes me by the shoulders, “Especially when we’ve been invited to – the Arik Karlos party!”
“Directions? Do you solemnly swear the truth! O Mega Alpha!” All three of us are screaming, up and down until I can ask, “Where, now? How? Why?”
“Duh, you’re looking at the future novia of Aronn Karlos, he so flirted with me when I met him in the mall. Remember Pam-Ella? She was there, saw everything, and then he asked us to come – to bring anyone we wanted!”
“That mirazing, I never thought – this is just perfect!”
“Isn’t it, but girl – we’ve got to make you more unrecognizable, or what’s the fun of –” Pam-Ella paused, and all three of us screamed, “MASK DAY!” So the party doesn’t begin until they paint my face like a very pretty porcelain doll.
Then we sneak out, just in case my parents will have something to say of the makeup. But I’m not that kind of daughter, so as we’re driving away in Margo’s car I decide to text my mom. We go now, luv u.
My phone vibrates just a second later in response, us too.

Karlos Home - Kellsea: When we drive up to Arik Karlos’ house, it’s an enormous mansion surrounded by artificial trees to preserve privacy. The entire place is already humming with music. Vibrations are in the air and you can see everyone through the walls of glass.
“Direct the way!” Pam-Ella shouts.
Margo pulls out the fake pirate sword that she has, “Aye! There be a party!”
All I can do is whisper, “So unbelievable.” And I follow my friends towards the door. It opens the moment we step on the linoleum flooring. I can hear footsteps and dance moves upstairs, but there’s not a soul in what appears to be the living room. Except for one soul who sits with his back to us, but he must have heard something, because he swerves around in the stool.
“More friends?” I must’ve been the only one that heard his sarcasm, because Pam-Ella and Margo run up to him and apparently start to scream his name, “Yes, yes. I am Antanie Karlos, eldest of this family.” He spins around again avoiding the gushing Pam-Ella, but Margo comes to stand beside me.
“Not at all like Aronn, so cold. As if he doesn’t know there’s a party.” Then she grabs me and Pam-Ella, “Come on girls, we’ve got to start having fun!”
“Fun! Fun!” We start cheering, but I glance back and the guy called Antanie glances over his shoulder. Only to notice me and to turn the other way and I had to agree, he was cold. But I also believe there must be a reason that he’s not dressed up or happy.
After hours of dancing, the mood slows down in the afternoon. Everyone is chatting and I’ve lost my two friends, but I catch glances of them in the crowd. There’s one guy that Margo is always with which must be Aronn. I think back to Antanie and they must be the two out of the three brothers that everyone is crazy about.

As I’m sitting in the corner, I think about how this day was supposed to be my favorite day in the whole world. Yet I’m not even enjoying anything or even with my friends at all. I decide to wander, but then I wander down the stairs and back into the first floor.
I notice how spacious it is, but there aren’t any pictures of family and friends. I see a lot of rewards and I’ve heard – from Margo mostly – that the Karlos family is made out of geniuses, including their sons, Arik, Antanie, and Aronn. Oddly I don’t know what makes them geniuses; these awards are vague, For Their Distinguished Service and Honorable Dedication for 30 years.
The pictures I do notice are shaking hands with apparently important people; the president, ambassadors of foreign nations and oddly I always find the man with a grey bowler hat in the background, but his hand distorts his face that I would’ve otherwise seen clearly.
“Pretty princess, don’t you like dancing?” I turn abruptly to face the guy I recognized as Aronn earlier.
“What I don’t like is people creeping behind me.” I try to slip past him, “Pardon-a-me.”
“Nein, Ich gerne dich.” He tries to grab my arm, but I fall back. Hitting my head on the coffee table, “Hey! Hey, get up!”
All I can think about is the pain, but I feel him kneeling beside me and his mouth right over mine. Just as I’m about smack him I hear someone else and pull Aronn away from me. “What do you think you’re doing?”
“Dude, I was giving her the Kiss of Life.”
“Go give a Kiss of Life to your latest project, I saw her. You’ll be so happy for the next 48 hours.”
“Nah – this one will last at least 36 hours.” Retorts Aronn, I can hear him laughing as he climbs up the stairs. I have a hand over my eye as I’m feeling for the pounding bump that must be growing on my head. I open my eyes, but I can only see the ceiling. I don’t even want to make an attempt to stand.
“So, you’re not the latest project – are you?” I open my eye again to see Antanie smiling.
“My friend – my head is killing me.”
“You’re not dying,” Then Antanie adds, “Sorry about your friend, but it happens all the time with Aronn.”
“I should tell her.” I said. Margo had the right to know that Aronn was no good.
“She won’t believe you.” When he said that I didn’t doubt him.
When I call Margo my best friend, it only means we know each other. Moving to another neighborhood has changed us. It’s hard to keep a friendship alive when you have different interests. It’s just really hard, if they never call or ask for your help....

Margo: “Slow - slow down!” I pushed him away, but Aronn had his arms around my waist and he still held on to me. My heart is thumping like crazy and I’m close to panicking. I’m trying to keep my senses with me, but this is too wild.
Aronn tries to kiss me again, but I’m barely holding him back. He’s able to whisper, “Baby, come on, Mary, come on.”
Isn’t this what I wanted?
Maybe he doesn’t know my name, I’ve told him my name about ten times already. Why was he being like this? He isn’t the guy that flirted with me at the mall. I finally get out of his reach, but I’m against the wall.
“Just trust me, baby. Don’t you trust me?” His hand is on my stomach, but I feel that my shirt has curled up just a little. His hand touches my skin. He kisses me over and over again, but I’m still feeling that hand under my shirt and my chest tightens.
I want Aronn to like me. I feel his lips all over mine and his hands are holding me. I want him. I need him to want me. This is my fate. I’m supposed to belong to none other than Aronn Karlos.

Kellsea: I’m still on the floor. I’m starting to worrying that I may have a concussion, but when Antanie tries to see my head I say, “Oh, you don’t have to do anything for me.” Antanie tries to pull my hands out of the way. I try to duck, but I just sink in between pillows. He catches my head in between his gigantic hands.
“You said that bump is killing you. I’m trained in the arts of healing – just let me get the First Aid Kit, to see if anything can help.” He pulls me up and I fall into the sofa. Then he glances at my bump again, “Scraped a little, your Highness. I think antibiotic will be enough, you’re bleeding a little.”
“What? Oh - okay, doctor.” I say, just as he’s walking away I mumble, “Thanks.” He looks back at me and nods a hint that he heard me. I guess Antanie was just in a bad mood earlier.
When he comes back, he has the tin case that looks ancient to me. The Red Cross painted on the white background has tiny scratches that are slowly rusting. As if this kit had gone through some action once. As Antanie medicates me I have to wonder about the story I’ll be telling my parents, but I also wanted to go home.
“The truth.” I just say to myself, not realizing that Antanie would’ve heard me.
“Huh?”
“Uh – I’m gonna tell my parents that,” the truth, “I got bonked on the head because I fell on table. That I got bonked because this guy was getting into my personal space, but I won’t mention names because I hadn’t been sure he was your brother and this was the first time I had ever seen this guy at the party.”
“Long story – the truth, but why not tell names?”
“It’s not important. He’s gone. I’m okay. You helped. We’ll never see each other again. End of story.” I get up, “I should go home, but if you see my friends then tell them for me.”
“Wait – wait, they trust you that much?”
“My parents? Sure. Why not?” I say
“Parents don’t’ –” I notice him glancing down at a picture, “Mine at least, think I’m the one hiding something.”
“Look, I should go. I don’t know about your family. I hear things from my friends, but I didn’t know your name until I came to this house.” I step in front of the door which opens for me, “That’s why I don’t need to see you again.”
Just when one foot is out of the door, the heel of my right slipper got stuck in a crevice. My barefoot landed on the gravel outside when I realized that I had lost my shoe. I was about to grab my shoe when the door closed in my face. O the other side laid my shoe like the last bit of snow in early spring.
I stood looking at the door waiting for it to open, but there was just the murmur of music above and footsteps as Antanie walked up to the door and picked up my slipper.
“So, does this mean your name is Cinderella?”
“Does this mean you can give me my shoe? Why won’t the door open?”
“A glitch sometimes happens in the motion detector. One time we didn’t leave the house for a day because it was stuck.”
“Funny. I want my shoe back.” Antanie played dumb as he looked over his shoulders and shrugged, “You’re holding it.”
“Oh! This shoe?” He shows it to me as if I hadn’t seen it before, “Actually this pair belongs to me, yeah, I got it last week at…”

I roll my eyes as I say, “Topshop.”
Antanie exclaims excitedly, “Yeah! Topshop, how did you know? Wow, small world you know. So yeah, can’t be talking right now. I’m going to crash my brother’s party and kick everyone out. You probably want to leave before the crowd, so bye!” He walks away triumphantly as if my shoe was his newest award.
I want to scream for him to bring it back, but I just pull out my phone to text a cab. Within minutes it appeared, but I hesitated when I looked down at my bare foot. Then I just got in. This would be something else that my parents would like to know and maybe in this story I’ll tell them the names.

Hughward Home - Melenie: When Danael and I got married, I knew who I married, but I hadn’t known what he was. Danael Kris Hughward is known as Computer programmer, loving husband and father of three. I know better as his wife, but my husband actually is an agent for the Central Investigative Bureau of America. It’s been a secret until our Jarrett, our first child was born. Then Danael told me the truth, his conventions about the latest software and technology are actually secret missions for the President of the United States.
When Danael came clean about his true occupation the bureau had me under oath with baby Jarrett in my arms as I swore to keep this a secret for all of my natural lifetime. I even believe that Jarrett stuck out his little hand in his own oath. On his twentieth birthday we officially told him the truth, but so far we’ve protected Liam and Kellsea.
I suppose secrets are an automatic part of being a spies’ wife, but keeping secrets from your children is hard. The next hard part is really keeping a boundary between a spies and a civilian life. When Danael insisted that cameras were a vital part of security, I was afraid that his secret agent habits were somehow taking over.
“Melenie,” He tell me every time, “I’m not being paranoid, I just want to keep our family will be safe.”
At first the cameras were just at the front and back door.
Then Liam was born and hallways were also being watched the invisible “eyes” of Danael.
Finally the news of a third pregnancy with Kellsea put Danael into overdrive as he placed cameras in our backyard, a 60 foot perimeter around the house and I suspect that his shopping sprees to buy clothes for the kids are actually an excuse to get them microchipped somehow.
No matter my disapproval of the extreme measures that Danael has taken, I do believe he’s trying to protect us. Sometimes I find myself drawn to the secret nook that shows the sights of my house. I can even see the street that would be in front of my house. I notice a cab pulling up on the curb. Kellsea appears and seems to be paying the driver.
I call out, “Danael! Kelly’s home!” I leave the nook, carefully closing the door. I walk towards the foyer so I can greet my daughter. The first thing I notice is her hair, on her shoulders and long; I remember her leaving with a bun. I didn’t mention the hair as I hugged her, “Kellsea, where’s Pam-Ella and Margo, I thought you would be with them.”
“They stayed at that party.” Then she hobbles a step forward, all three of us look down to see that she only has one shoe, “Uh – I got a long story to tell you guys.” She says with a big grin.
“Great,” Danael eyes narrowed, “Is that blood?”
“Dad, it’s just a bump, I fell at the party.” I also notice the bulge on top of my daughter’s head, “And my shoe got – uh, that got shoe-napped.”
Yup, this is going to be long story.
So our daughter tells us every detail, but I suppose the best part was the shoe-napper, Antanie Karlos.
“So, this Antanie takes your shoe.” Danael’s voice is stating a fact that Kellsea has already said. I suppose as a father he regards any other male as a threat when it regards our 17 year old daughter.
“Yeah, uh – can I just go to bed early?”
“Is everything all right Kelly?” I ask, she hasn’t gone to bed early since she was 8 years old.
“Everything is fine. I just want to go now. That’s all.” So she leaves with a single slipper in her hand. I look at Danael whose brain gears are turning slowly and processing every detail and possibly one thought is too pull out the polygraph test.
“Danael?”
“I’m not – the polygraph is a very primitive instrument, even if I did use it…”
“That wasn’t my question, but thank you for admitting that you were thinking about it.” I kissed his cheek, then I notice something about him, “Honey, that hat. I never thought you would wear it in the house.”
“I figured there was no harm in wearing this hat, besides, there’s plenty of others in the world.”
“I guess so, Danny, I was thinking maybe we should tell Liam now. He’s just turned 21 and we haven’t told him yet.”
“I think Jarrett had a right to know. I was gone most of his life time, but I’m retiring this year. Liam and Kellsea don’t need to know.”
“I still think they should. Your next mission is even more risky. If something ever happened….” I hold back the tears that had been building up. Since Danael had gotten his orders for his latest mission, my nightmares had been returning. Returning with vividness as if it were the future, “Danny, please tell them.” I kept my other thoughts to myself, but I was prepared to tell Liam and Kellsea the truth, whether or not Danael wanted me to.

Kellsea: Just when I close the door I realize that it’s 5:38 and for the first time in my entire life, for as long as I can remember, I haven’t come close to enjoying Masquerade Day. This was supposed to be my favorite day, the best day in the world, but instead it ends up ruined by my own best friends.
What happened?
I guess Aronn and Antanie Karlos happened. Ruined. My. Day!
Aronn happens to be the guy that gets fresh the first meeting.
Antanie had to be the guy that steals my shoe.
Maybe I am overreacting. It’s my favorite day in the whole wide world, but the rich boys have ended it for me. Doggers, this is not fair!
I suppose I might enjoy the nap I’m about to take.
Yet even as I curl in the blankets there’s a knock on my door. “Come in.”
Dad enters.
“Are you okay?”
“Yeah.”
“How are you?”
“I’m fine.” Didn’t we just go over that?
“So, you’re not coming to watch the parade with your Old Man?”
“I can watch the reruns.”
“Oh, okay. I guess I can pass on the front row seats to some co-worker.” He’s slowly walking towards the door, but I’m jumping out of bed and I pull him back in.
“You did not just say front row seats.”
“I did just say exactly that.”
“Directions! You didn’t tell me!”
“You didn’t ask!”
“I need shoes!” I run over to the closet.
“Go get them; I have to get my costume back on!” He bends down behind my door and picks up a gray boulder hat. “Ta-da! I thought I’d change it up this year.”
I look up and down, realizing that he has this stripped tux on and the bowler hat slightly tilted over one eye. “Cool. I’m ready!”

Max Bode Stadium - Kellsea: Waiting isn’t a talent of mine. It never will be. I’m itching for fireworks to shoot into the sky and go BANG-BANG!
“What time is it?” Dad stares me down with a You-asked-that-a-second-ago, “Uh, can I get popcorn?”
“Sure.” I’m almost surprised, but I won’t wait a second for him to change his mind. I walk down the aisle passing by counts, clowns and a rather silly coconut. I’m not joking. It was a coconut costume that was really hard to pass, but the custom was filled with air. So I managed pretty well, but in-line I had to wait again.
Wait – waiting – wait.
Then I get asked, “Hi, what can I do for you?”
“Large popcorn with no salt, but lots of butter,” Then I receive my bag filled with popcorn. “Thanks.” I’m just out of the line when a hand reaches to take out some of the popcorn.
Antanie munches slowly on the popcorn then he says, “No, thank you.”
“Get away from me, Shoe-Napper.”
“Nice to see you too Cinderella,” He tried to swipe another bunch of popcorn, but I hold it tightly and turn, “Careful, you’ll spill, unless you give me some.”
“Where’s my shoe?”
“You already have a pair on Cinderella.” I watch him take another bunch of popcorn, “Besides, I left the shoe at home.”
“Fine,” I get passed him, but I feel him following behind me. “Leave me alone.” Just ahead I notice my dad. Looking for me probably, but if he sees Antanie talking to me I’m not sure what he’ll think.
I walk right up to dad, “Hey dad!”
I’m hoping Antanie will get the idea and will skedaddle into the crowd.
Instead, he says, “Sir, I’m Antanie Karlos, it’s nice to meet you.” His hand is probably oily from the buttery popcorn, “I suppose you’ve heard about me?”
“I have, Kellsea said you stole her shoe.”
“So, Kellsea,” Antanie now knows my name; at least I won’t be Cinderella anymore, “You did tell your dad about our infamous meeting.”
“Yeah, sure did.” Then Antanie was laughing with dad and Dad invited Antanie to sit with us.
Antanie begins to glance around, “Actually I have to find my brothers, but oh – hey! Let’s meet afterwards.” Antanie spins around, “Just right out here and you can meet my brothers. I’ll make sure Aronn behaves and Arik is cool.”
“Sure, that would be fine.” I glance at my dad; I’m hoping that he won’t seek revenge upon Aronn, “See you then.”
We go our separate ways, but I know that we may meet again, very, very soon.

Antanie: Princess Cinderella and the Bowler Hat Man are waiting for us. I’m pulling my stubborn brothers over to meet them, but as their big brother I can make them do mostly anything. I promised Aronn would behave. That’s going to happen. I also promised both of them chauffeuring services for the next two weeks.
When I see Cinderella I sort of get this automatic grin on myself. Cinderella notices the three of us coming towards them, but then she just frowns and looks away. I think she has the cutest nose crunch I’ve ever seen.
“Hey, so my brothers, you know Aronn then there’s Arik.” The brothers shake my dad’s hand, “Kellsea and her dad.”
“Mr. Hughward, but Danny is fine.” I’m pretty surprised that Kellsea’s dad isn’t being so formal. I expected a bit of a fight from this guy.
“Why not get something to eat, on me and you don’t have to pay me back.”
“I suppose, even if the wife won’t be happy.” So we’re off to eat.

The Barriemore - Kellsea: I didn’t realize something to eat meant a ridiculously high-priced bistro called The Barriemore. What was even more surprising was when the host took us to the patio. It was a spectacular view with the darkening sky, palm trees and skyscrapers. There was burning coal along a wall, lanterns on small tables and there were patterned couches, seats, pillows. This was too luxurious to be real.
“Sit down and I know just what to order,” Antanie tells us everything we need to know, Dad and I listen, but we’re both in a state of shock. I’m not sure if Antanie noticed, but I’m in a costume. I am not a real princess.
“So, Mr. Hughward – or Danael, I was wondering where you work. I feel like I’ve seen you before.” Antanie says casually. A waiter stops by and in a second Antanie has ordered for us without asking for our consent. The other two Karlos brothers just seem to sulk in their chairs like trapped dogs. Obviously they wanted to be somewhere else, but something must’ve been said to keep them here.
Aronn has the guts to pull out his phone and start texting. Antanie is ignoring his brothers and asks my dad his questions again about work.
My dad isn’t his usual dull self when he gets right to the point, “I’m just a computer programmer at Telmar.” He seems oddly comfortable. I have to wonder if this confident guy is still my dad, “Perhaps your parents invest in the company, I’ve certainly heard about them. How is your father’s latest project?”
“I don’t keep track on my parent’s money or any projects, but I guess everything is good.” Answers Antanie, then his attention turns to me. “Kellsea, what school do you go to?”
“I’m homeschooled.” I blurted, but it was a bit of a lie. Just habit I guess, but recently I had received a scholarship to Dimmesdale Private. The expressions on the Karlos brothers were priceless, obviously they expected some lowly public high school.
Arik Karlos confirmed my belief, “Dimmesdale is the most expensive and the best in this city or state possibly. How much money do you make as a computer programmer?”
“That’s none of your business. I’d like a normal conversation not a comparison of our family’s bank accounts.” I snapped. Arik seemed to melt into his chair.
Antanie makes an attempt to smooth everything over, “Hey, guys, maybe our food will be better than our little chat.”
The waiter is coming with our food that Antanie ordered for all of us. Maybe my patience is running on a short fuse, but I’ve had enough of this. When the food gets set before me, I take one bite, I spit it out, and I look right at Antanie and smile. “My mom cooks better than this, waiter!” The waiter returns, “I want the most expensive meal here, immediately.”
“Yes, miss.” When he’s left, I decide to take another shot at being a brat.
“Guys, you can enjoy that meal I just ordered for you. After all – food is food.” I push back my chair to stand, “Dad, I’ll wait for you outside.”
Everyone is just staring at me. I push my chair under the table and I leave.

Arik: I look at Antanie and Aronn, but they look back at me as if I know why that crazy girl acted like that. Her dad is the first one to speak, “I apologize for Kellsea, but we’re certainly not privileged to dine at a place like this often – at all.” Says Mr. Hughward, “I’ll be paying for that last order that Kellsea got.” but the guy is barely managing to hold back laughter. What the heck happened here?
“No, no. Its fine, but I want to talk with my brother, Arik. One minute.” I thought I didn’t hear right. Talk to me? I would’ve expected Antanie to go after this girl, he’s been raving about Crazy Cinderella ever sense he met her. Instead he pulls me right out of my chair. The bigger shocker is what Antanie tells me to do next, “Arik, I think you’ll need to apologize to Danael and Kellsea.”
“No Directions for me, I’m not apologizing to anyone.”
“You’re a lazy bum of a brother! Get out there. Now!” Antanie can get scary when he’s mad, but this was furious like a dog with rabies.
“Lazy bum or not, fine, I will. But next time you talk with your new girlfriend!” I walk outside to find Crazy Cinderella, but it takes me a minute. Maybe she lied and did leave without her dad. Anyhow I’m wrong because she sitting on the curb, “Hey, you’ll get that dress dirty.”
“Then I’ll wash it. Where’s my dad?”
“Not here, are you blind?”
She stands up, “Are you dumb? Listen to me right now, GO-AWAY.”
We just stand face to face. Neither of us is making a move, but I notice her hair, nose, and her lips as if there’s actually something appealing.
Suddenly, her dad comes from behind, “Kelly, I’ve texted a cab.”
“Great, so Dumbo you have nothing else to say?”
It takes me a minute to realize she’s asking me. I don’t know where Dumbo came from, but I’m Arik Karlos and no one gets away with that.
The taxi arrives.
Kelly and her dad get in and drive off.
So I guess someone does get away with that.

Karlos’ Laboratories - Markus: I’m the father of three boys and a scientist. Lately my experiments have proven to be a success. However they’ve proven to become a risky situation for me and my family. The CIB are here. They’ve been sleeping in my private den for the last month as “Uncle” Fillip and “Cousin” Dieter. I don’t think my son’s realize that I’m an only child and my wife lost her only sister in a car accident.
It’s complicated being a scientist. It’s more complicated when it’s taken me away from being a father. There’s two things I regret - 1) I’m not there for my sons and 2) I’ve brought my work home.
“Uncle” Fillip has been an agent for the last forty years, “Cousin” Dieter is a short-term replacement for another top agent that we like to call Bowler Hat Man. My son’s haven’t even met him, but he’s usually around. He was with me in the hospital’s waiting room, around the time Arik was born. I was on the progress of a prototype of Laser-Travel. Perhaps Laser-Travel isn’t the most creative name, but I’ll think of something.
Laser-Travel has proven to be secure and would be an immensely powerful transportation tool. However in the wrong hands, I’m afraid that anyone can commit murders to robberies very easily. So far we know of only one major threat, the Mafia of Detroyt are anxious to get their hands on this creation. Hopefully the government can offer it as private transportation and when the world is truly peaceful than it may be open to the public.
Today is a glorious Monday, provided that there’s leftover cake from my son’s big party. As I’m scavenging through the refrigerator, from behind the younger agent, Dieter taps my shoulder. “Uh, so Uncle Mr. Karlos - ”

“Just Uncle or Markus, Dieter.” I correct him. The agent must’ve been drilled so roughly that he didn’ t know how to be casual anymore.

“Uh - sir, I was wondering if - if the younger sirs - ”

“Dieter, you’re not the butler. Just call them the boys or by their names.”

“Oh, then I was wondering if they would be coming back soon.”

“Why?”
“Oh - for no particular reason.”
“Agent Dieter, I’ve already heard of your success at the retro video games.” I give the fridge door a slap to close it, “They’ll be home soon. I suppose their new jobs are keeping them all busy.”
“Sir - Markus, I was wondering why the sudden change since this weekend.”
“I don’t know. Ever since Arik’s party, it seems like Antanie couldn’t resist the part-time job at some shop called Top or Shop. Something like that. Then I suppose Arik and Aronn actually followed their brother’s example.”
“Strange.”
“You think that’s strange. There’s no cake left.” I went back to my study to think. Perhaps then the answer to my sons’ behavior will come to light.

Antanie: At some point she’ll walk through those doors. It’s the only reason I accepted this job at Topshop. I even pulled my brothers into this. Aronn is a greeter - which suits him well enough when a cute girl enters the store and Arik - he’s been with me at the cashier register. His silence is taken as pure professionalism when another cute girl tries to flirt with him.
“So Uncle Fillip seems to watch us a lot.” Since we’ve started this job, Arik hasn’t been talking to me much. Or maybe he started avoiding me after Kellsea’s little temper tantrum at the Barriemore.
“Why would he?” Then I choked back the laughter, “You’re not saying...”
“Shut up! No, I’m just wondering why he seems - so protective of dad and us.”
“This is just the first time we’ve met. Dad hasn’t seen him for like forever I guess. He just missed dad and us.”
“Did he even know we were born?”
“Arik - hey, dude are you okay.” I try to put my hand on his forehead, chances he has a fever that would cook a turkey.
“Stop that! I’m fine.” Arik shouts, it attracts a bit too much attention from the customers.
“My kid brother.” I point at him and I notice a pair of girls giggling. Giggling a little too much for three little words. Then I notice a third girl with them. with the largest sunglasses I ever saw in my life. “Hey!” I jump over the counter like a wild cat and I run over to sunglasses girl.
“Oh my gosh, it is Antanie Karlos!”
“See Pam-Ella I was right! Don’t you think I would would recognize my future brother-in-law.” Says one girl, I’m going to ignore that comment. Instead all my attention goes to Cinderella, also known as Kellsea.
“So, you’re visiting me. Right?”
“So, you’re stalking me. Wrong?” She takes off the sunglasses. As if that would’ve really disguised her.
“Nah, thought I’d check out the latest trends.” I said, “You?”
“Fine. I couldn’t stay away.” Then she grabs her friends’ wrists and begins to walk away, “Come on Margo. Pam-Ella.”
“Kellsea! What are you doing?” They huddled together, Kellsea glanced back at me and rolled her eyes. I think I can guess what they’re talking about, in a fashionably girly voice one of them stated, Who would miss out on dating a Karlos boy!
Sometimes I wonder why anyone would say that at all.
I just hope Kellsea will actually agree with her friends on this one.

Kellsea: I’m so not listening to this. Not one word.
“He’s a Karlos.”
“Yeah!”
“What other chance are you going to get!”
“Yeah!”
It doesn’t matter which friend says what - they agree with each other, but they don’ t know me if they think I’m going to date such an annoying, egotistical guy. For a moment I thought Antanie would be okay, but I’m not going to jump right in. I don’t want to be trapped into this like Margo. It seems to me that dating Aronn hasn’t been as amazing that she said it would.
I tell when something is wrong.
Especially since that night at the party. What kind of guy forgets he’s dating someone and tries to give a “kiss of life” to some other girl? Not someone I want to date. That’s why I’m not going to get mixed in with the Karlos boys.
No matter how much first-aid they know or even if they have my shoe.
“It’s never going to happen.” Oh - oh, did I just blurt that out loud?

Arik: I’m still at the counter. I’m able to watch the whole thing.
Antanie actually interested in a girl.
Girl (Kellsea) is actually not interested in Antanie.
And my ears have actually heard, “It’s never going to happen.”
I don’t need a crystal ball to see the future.
Antanie is my brother. So I know him. He’s not going to give up.
I may not know Kellsea, but I don’t think she’s going to give in - easily or at all. Just my opinion. That’s all it is.

“Hey, big brother, I need help back here!” Maybe this will save Antanie from any more humiliation. He turns around, looks back at Kellsea and then walks towards me at the counter. There’s no one at the counter, but he sinks against the wall. I watch Kellsea and her friends leave. No surprises here. Except for those five words, It’s never going to happen.

Danael: I was probably half asleep when the doorbell rang. “Melenie!” I called for my wife, but then I remembered she was picking up Kellsea from the mall. I realize that I’m alone in my own home and I’m scared. I go straight to the Security Room. Melenie seems to come in here almost as often as I do, but she doesn't know all of my tricks.

There are sensors on the welcome mat that would detect the exact footprint of any visitor, measuring weight and the door’s peephole is actually a camera that is motion-activated.

There’s no evidence of a person at the door. I’m not a paranoid guy. I’m just cautious. In my profession you can never be too careful, but you can be careless.

I find myself looking down, at a blank card. Once I have it in my hands it flutters back to the floor. There’s no mistaking the signature of Talin Jaksen, leader of the Detroyt Mafia. That man has tried to find me for the last decade. I have to call CIB immediately. I will be composing myself for the next few hours. Once Melenie and Kellsea return - we’re going to evacuate our home.

To be continued....



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.