Midnight Speed | Teen Ink

Midnight Speed

By Angelea BRONZE, Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Angelea BRONZE, Downingtown, Pennsylvania

“I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.” -William Allen White

Author's note: The future is coming, even if you want it to come or not.

The future is something everyone dreads. It always hangs over everyone as they making their way through life. It is like a roller coaster that no one can ever get off even though it makes them all dizzy.
What happens to your future when you can’t stop choosing someone who everyone else thinks is wrong for you? How far is it going to take you to say no? This is Chloe’s dilemma. It has been her dilemma for a long time.
The flowers are in full bloom covered by trees which reach the sky. The trees hid the beauty in the town, and ruin the close feeling of small town life. The house lights are barley seen through the dense forests which cover the surrounding land. Cars speed down winding roads with no care in the world. Not even the fear of crashing can stop the citizens of Oak Point. They are too strong to be scared of anything. Chloe speeds along one of the winding roads. Her blond hair blows in the breeze. She is not scared of the speed her car is going but she is scared of the future. For her one single moment can through her entire life off. Her life is already fragile enough and she does not need it to break.
Chloe takes her foot off of the acceleration and lets the car slid across the road. She closes her eyes and feels the helplessness of not being in control. She feels the car slow down quicker and quicker. She opens her blue eyes when the car is going ten miles per hour. She rapidly turns the wheel left to not miss the side road. The motorcycle screeches to a stop behind her and she pulls to the side of the road.
“I thought that would be you.” says the motorcyclists as he takes off his helmet and lets his shaggy black hair fall freely around his face.
“You always know where I am.” Chloe says as she walks towards him in her skinny jeans and rock band t-shirt.
“You are pretty predictable; you always go to the edge of town.” He says as he stares her down with his spectacular jade eyes.
“I am sorry Carter, but we are not all you.” Chloe says as she sits on the back of her sports car.
Carter puts his arms around her waist. “Come one Chloe, don’t you think that there is more?” He whispers in her ear.
“More of what?”
“Life.”
“But in time, life becomes normal.”
“There is nothing normal about us.”
“I figured.” Chloe says as Carter kisses her. His kiss is like one of those from a movie with the fireworks. It is life changing, even though there are more important things which change the course of life in a single moment.
“I should get back to the race track.” He says as he uses all of his might to pull away.
“You’re just going to leave me here all by myself.” Chloe says as Carter puts on his helmet and walks to his motorcycle.
“Try to get in trouble today.” He says as he gets on his bike.
“Like with the law, my mom?” She calls after him.
“With everyone.” He says before speeding away.
What Carter does not know is she would get in trouble when her mom finds out their little secret. She is pretty good at sneaking around to see Carter Young. They all think he is going to die young, before he can start a family or actually have a life. Maybe this is why the future scares Chloe. Everyone in Oak Point thinks they know what will happen, or what the future will hold. They do not know all of the mysteries of life, not in till tomorrow comes around and unleashes them on the world.
Chloe gets back into her car and continues driving to the edge of the town limits. Trees pass her by quicker and quicker every second, but she has done this so many times it has become a skill to complete the next turn. The sharp left turn is coming up, and normal people would slow down, but not Chloe she still increases her speed. Carter was right; there is nothing normal about either of them. They live for speed. She keeps driving in till she sees the town limit sigh. She breaks really hard in till she is inches away from crossing the town limit.
Chloe turns off the engine and then she gets out of the car, like she has done every day from since she can drive. But every day is not like today. Today is the worst day, since her grandfather died. In a matter of moments she well get a phone call from her best friend Bay. She will tell her to come to the race track, because the one guy in the world who is not interested in her will be practicing for the first time at the new track. For Reed, Bay is invisible, just like every other girl in this school, except for Chloe. Sometimes she wishes the for once she can just be invisible. How can she be invisible when her older brother was loved by everyone then he died. The difference between Chloe and everyone else is she knows how he really died. And this is probably another reason why she is scared for the future. Trevor was so young or at least that is what everyone said. He loved to race; he loved it so much that he chose to hide it all from everyone. But no one in this little town knows he raced no one except Chloe of course. He taught her everything she knows.
Chloe’s phone rings and of course it is Bay. Chloe does not even bother to answer she just gets back in her car and drives the racing track.

Bay is standing in the middle of the road, waving her hand frantically in the air. Chloe stops parks the car in the empty parking lot. As she walks to Bay, she locks the doors and her car lights flash and then turn off.
“Come on come on, we are missing them practice.” Bay says frantically.
“We are missing them drive around in circles.”
“At ridiculously fast speeds.”
“I am sorry; I forgot you cannot drive so quickly after the surgery.” Chloe says as she looks at Bay’s arm hidden by an old sweatshirt.
“Three more weeks then I can start actually driving!”
“Your mom’s not going to let you drive on the track.”
“You mom wont either.” Bay says as she rolls her eyes
“But she does not have to know.” Chloe laughs as they enter the racing track.
Chloe recognizes Carters car instantly. It is black with the number eighteen painted in green on the sides and top of the car. He once told Chloe that he picked the number eighteen because that is when life really starts. And at the age of seventeen she already longs for eighteen. The other car on the track is red and the number seven painted on in white. The drivers are starting up again. Bay runs up to the edge and watches Reed shoot away from the starting line. She cannot believe that Carter is still ahead, but he always is ahead of the other drivers. They keep racing for over an hour. It always ends the same, Carter wins and Reed keeps getting more frustrated.
“That’s enough for today, I don’t care what you do, just make sure the cars get back so I can look at them.” The mechanic says with a snicker. Carter gets out of his racing car and walks over to the small crowd of fans watching them. Reed fallows him, but keeps his eyes on Chloe instead of Bay.
“Everheart, I heard you can drive.” Carter says trying to keep a straight face, which he is so good at.
“You heard right, Young.” Chloe says trying not to do something she will regret later.
“How about you show us all how good you are.” Carter says as everyone around them looks at Carter and Chloe thinking she will say no.
“Find, but be ready to be blown away.” Chloe says as she gets behind the wheel of Carters racing car.
“I know you have driven one of these bad boys before.” He whispers to Chloe.
“Then you should not be worried.”
“Your brother taught you, and then you never stopped driving here every night.”
“Are you fallowing me now?”
“No. Maybe. Yes.” Carter says as he backs up away from the car.
The car comes to life like it always does. Chloe feels like she has complete control, something she needs in her life.
“Ready, Go.” Carter yells as he starts the timer and Chloe speeds away.
The small group of fans stands up in shock when Chloe speeds around the track. Reed is amazed, because he knows that she beat his time. Bay is impressed, for someone who has never set foot in a race car before today, she is good. No one knows the long hours Chloe has spent on this track practicing. She stops the car and gets out of the car. Carter walks towards her with a crocked smile.
“What?” Chloe says not wanting to face her friends.
“You beat your last time.” Carter says.
“And now I get to face the crowd.” Chloe whispers as her friends run up to them.
“Give them h---.” Carter whispers as Chloe turns around.
“You did incredible.” Bay screams and then she notices Reed.
“Thanks.” Chloe says as Reed runs up to her.
“Amazing.” Reed says as he leans in and kisses her.
Bay is shocked, she troughs her arms up in the air and runs out of the track. Chloe pulls away from Reed and looks back at Carter with panic on her face. Carter nods, knowing that she has to save her friendship before she can talk to him again. Chloe runs after Bay.
In the parking lot Bay is sitting at the curb with her face berried in her knees.
“Bay, I don’t have any feelings towards him.” Chloe says as she sits down next to her. “And he is absolutely not worth it.”
“I know, but I don’t get it. Why did you drive, why are you whispering to Carter Young, and why did you let him kiss you.” Bay screams
“How was I supposed to know that he was going to kiss me?”
“I don’t know, but you are not friends with Carter Young.”
“Come on let’s get out of here.” Chloe says as she stands up and helps Bay up.
“Are you going to talk to Reed?”
“Maybe after a giant bucket of cookie dough ice cream, or when things get a little less awarded.”
“Ice cream sounds good, and so does some depressing music.”
“Come one let’s get out of here.” Chloe says as they walk to her car.
“You should have seen his face when he realized that you beat his time.” Bay laughs as she turns up the radio.

Carter is working on his car, even though there is nothing to work on. He is waiting for Chloe to walk in, which is very unlikely because Bay seemed pretty mad. Or when Reed is going to walk in, which is much more likely. Reed walks in; he feels like he is walking on air. That kiss was everything he thought it was going to be. He notices how mad Carter is.
“You jealous Carter, you wish it was you don’t you.” Reed says with a smirk on his face.
“You ever kiss her again; I promise you that you will never be able to drive again.” Carter yells. “And I don’t mean just a race car.”
“How cute, you really like her. But let’s remember who you are. You got no chance.”
“You are a bad driver and extraordinarily blind.” Carter laughs.
“I will be better then you.”
“Bay is the reason why she is never going to kiss you.”
“Who.”
“Her best friend.”
“And her mom’s the reason she will never talk to you.”
“The difference between you and I is she already talks to me.” Carter says as he leaves the room slamming the door.
It is about five o’clock in the evening. There is a free move playing but he has already seen it with Chloe from the projector room. He can’t go and see Chloe because she is with Bay. Bay already finds him to be the worst person in the world, maybe except that serial killer she saw on TV. Not many people like Carter in this small town. For some reason they all think that he will not have a future. It is probably because he is going to race in the big leagues. It is like he is going hand over his death certificate the day he leaves the little tack and enters the world of racing.
Carter turns into his driveway which stands in front of his huge house on top of a hill. His mom’s car is in the driveway for once.
“Hey mom.” Carter yells as he troughs his keys and wallet on the table by the door.
“In here.” His mom says from the kitchen.
“How was work?” he says entering the large kitchen and walking to the refrigerator and pulls out a root beer.
“Pretty bloody.” She laughs as she pours herself a cup of wine.
“Must I remind you that you are a surgeon?” Carter says as he sits down next to his mom.
“How is Chloe?”
“It still is complicated. You know the new racer, Reed? Well he kissed her today.”
“How badly is he injured?”
“I did not punch him, I know I should have.”
“Sweaty, he does not know how much you love her.” His mom says remembering his father. “Or how much she loves you back.”
“You know how bad this town is.”
“Ohh don’t I know, they think I am an awful mother.”
“But you are not, mom.”
“They think that I am so bad because I am letting you race.”
“I would still be racing even if you did not approve.”
“I know, you would be racing like Chloe still is.” His mom says with a soft smile.
“It means a lot to me that you support me.” Carter says as he tries to hold back tears.
“I would never stand in between you and your dreams. And you are good, and I am so proud of you.” she says as she finishes off the glass and pours herself another. “I can take anything the other moms through at me, but I want you to know that Chloe found something in you, that no one else has.”
“I love her mom.” Carter says as he watches the effect of his father leaving has caused his mother.
“Do not ever let go of her then.” Mrs. Young says as the door bell rings.
Carter walks to the door and answers it.
“We have only minutes.” Chloe says as she leans in and kisses him.
“Till what?” Carter says in-between a kiss.
“In till Reed comes, he is not so happy.”
“Like I care.” Carter says as Chloe fallows him inside.
“Hi Mrs. Young.” Chloe says with a smile on her face.
“How are you sweaty?” She asks.
“I am great.” Chloe says as she looks at Carter and falls even more in love.
Mrs. Young’s phone goes off and she nods her head from side to side. She says, “I am needed for another surgery tonight, some freak accident in a town over.”
“But mom this is the only night you have off.”
“I am sorry, but I do not have a choice. Someone’s life is in danger and I am the only surgeon in the county.” She says as she leaves Chloe and Carter alone in the house.
“SO what are we going to do?” Chloe says as she sits down on the leather couch in the living room.
“I have an idea.” He whispers for her only to hear.
“And so do I.”
“But what about Reed?” Carter whispers as she leans closer to Chloe.
“You are the only guy on my mind.” Chloe whispers as Carter kisses her.

The time is 9 o’clock. The place to be tonight is the Bowling Alley. Music is blasting through speakers. Most everyone in town is dancing or trying to beat their opponents in a game of bowling. Reed and Bay are across the room. Bay tries not to look in his direction, but she is too much in love to look away. She knows she can do better, or even that she deserves better. Better is not what she wants. She watches the way he moves, the way he laughs at any old joke, or how he does not flirt with any old girl. Then Bay remembers how he does not even talk to her, and how he kissed her best friend. It is Bay’s turn to bowl; she picks up the bright orange bowling ball and hurls it down the lane. Bay turns around to face her friends.
“You got a STRIKE!” Elliott screams as he runs and hugs her.
“What?” She says as she pulls away and turns and looks. All of the bowling pins are knocked down on the ground.
“Hey Bay.” Someone says from behind her. Bay turns and sees Reed.
“Reed, how are you.”
“I am good, but I would be much better if you would agree to hang out sometime.”
“Sounds good.” Bay says as her heart skips a beat or two.
“But you see the problem is.” Reed says as Bay’s heart instantly drops. “You know Jack.”
Off course Bay knows Jack, everyone knows who he is. He is Reeds friend who is one of the best track runners in the county. And it is hard to miss his sandy beach hair because he is a good foot taller than a crowd.
“Uh ya.” Bay says with a sweet smile.
“I promised him that when I get the courage to ask you out, he would go with Chloe.”
“I will see what I can do.”
“Cool, so I guess I will text you.”
“Ya.” Bay says as he starts to walk away. She feels like she is walking on air.
Reed turns around with a goofy smile and says, “I don’t actually have your number.”
Bay gives him her number. She watches as he walks back to his friends and continue their game. Bay turns back to her friends with a big smile plastered on her face, but none of her friends have paid attention to what just happened.
Chloe walks out of Carter’s house, leaving Carter fast asleep on the couch. She has no time to go bowling; instead she runs to her car and drives home. Chloe pulls up to her medium size house. Chloe's roses, which sit in front of the house, are the only thing alive in their yard. The grass is completely dead and has been for years. The only tree on the property had to be cut down after it got struck by electricity one year ago. But the roses are the only plant life which can survive anything. Just like Chloe, she is a scarlet rose in a forest of trees.
Chloe walks inside, she does not say anything thinking her mother has already gone to sleep. She walks down the hallway to the kitchen and sees the light on.
“Chloe, you should go to sleep soon, tomorrow will bring a new day.” Her mother says not looking up from her nursing magazine.
“Okay mom.” Chloe says as she grabs an apple and pours herself a glass of water.
“I am working from three.”
“Okay well good night.” Chloe says as she leaves the room.
Chloe’s mom is a nurse. She does not like Carter’s mother, it is not like they ever where friends or anything. Her mother is mad that she got pregnant at an early age with Trevor and never became a doctor. And it might not help that she lost Chloe’s dad when she was carrying her. Then she lost Trevor. She believes that Mrs. Young does not deserve an easier life. She laughed when Carter’s father left them. Chloe’s mother has not given either of them a chance, but she just hates them both. It is crazy how twisted things are; she loves someone who is hated by her own blood.
Chloe knows that she should get some hours of sleep before she leaves at midnight. But too much has happened throughout the day. The events still run through her head. She wishes she never let Reed kiss her, she wishes she slapped him. But most of all, she wishes that she did not have to keep Carter a secret. Chloe lies down and closes her eyes. She thinks of Carter, and falls asleep.

Chloe walks up half an hour before midnight. Her mother will wake up soon and find her door locked like it always is. Chloe has locked her door as long as she can remember. Trevor would tell her to lock her door just in case their mother would check on them before leaving for work. She told her mother a lie, and then the door has been always locked. Chloe grabs her leather jacket and crawls out the window.

Outside the night breeze feels wonderful against her face. She runs across her backyard and jumps the old white picket fence. She stands on the sidewalk facing a small little road. Carter’s motorcycle comes up the single street and screeches to a stop in front of her.

“Get on.” he yells over the roaring engine. Chloe climbs on the motorcycle and wraps her arms around his waist. She feels the vibrations of the motorcycle as they speed away into the night.

The race track is dark like the rest of the town. Chloe pulls out a copied key. She unlocks the front door and turns on the lights. In the dim lights they see Rory leaning against the wall. He is still wearing his black suit, but he has already taken off the tie.

“You are back. But don’t you think it is a little late in the night.” Rory the owner of the track says with a little snicker.

“It is only midnight, it is morning somewhere else.” Chloe responds as she searches the room for any other shadows.

“I saw you race today, you should know you are good.”

“You know I cannot race, it is like I should not be here.” Chloe says as Carter tries to walk pass Rory

“And where do you think you are going, Carter?” Rory says turning his attention to Carter.

“Practicing.” He says with a crooked smile.

“That is how you became good, you practiced with her. But you lied to me.”

“I am sorry man; you know how you are never supposed to race by yourself, so I started tagging along.” Carter says

“Well I am happy you did.” Rory says as he turns his attention back to Chloe. “Whose car have you been using?”

“River’s.” Chloe whispers.

“How did you get that key?”

“Came in the mail one day, I was his biggest fan.” Chloe lies.

“Then let’s practice.” Rory says as he walks onto the bleachers and turns on the lights.

Chloe and Carter walk to get their cars from the garage.

“God, I thought we were going to be thrown in jail.” Chloe whispers as she looks back at Rory.

“I thought I would never be able to race again.” Carter whispers back.

“You better be ready to be beaten again.” Chloe laughs

Carter and Chloe race in till it is dawn. Rory is impressed with how skilled Chloe really is. He could say that she is better than her brother. But when the morning sun peaks over the horizon Carter is sneaking her home. He heads back home, before anyone wakes up and will see him.

Chloe walks into the empty house; her mother has already left for the hospital. Her phone is one the table, she walks over and checks it. She has one missed call from Bay.

“Hey Bay why did you call?” Chloe says as a sleepy Bay answers the phone.

“You have to come and hang out with Reed and me!” She says excitedly.

“Reed really?”

“He asked me out last night.” Bay says. “Just come and distract Jack.”

“This is going to end badly, but because I am your friend I will go.”

“Yes!” Bay says with a little squeal. “What am I going to wear?”

“You will find something, look I have to go.” Chloe says as she hangs up the phone.

Chloe walks to the kitchen and makes herself some eggs. As she sits down at the kitchen table her phone goes off. Chloe thinks it is going to be from Bay, so she checks it. Instead it is from Carter. He asks her to go to the abandoned barn. Chloe does not even bother answering; she just looks down at what she is wearing. It is the same outfit from the other day. But even worse than wearing the same outfit is how bad gasoline smells.

Chloe runs upstairs and takes a shower. She changes into a pair of shorts and a white tube top. She puts on her black hop earrings and black eyeliner. She grabs an old blanket form a closet and walks to her car. Before driving out to the abandoned barn she stops to get some food.

The old barn looks better than ever. There are no holes in the roof, and the shingles look new. The barn door is not crooked anymore. The walls are still not the best, but she knows that Carter will fix them up. Chloe parks next to Carters truck. She walks into the barn and sees Carter working on the floors of the barn.

“Is it safe?” Chloe asks as watches Carter work.

“It is just a little hot.” He says warmly as he leans in for a kiss.

“I can tell.” Chloe says as she drops their lunch.

“Try working from down.” He whispers as he picks her up and kisses her.

“You are so sweaty.” She whines.

“It is like hundred degrees outside. I already sweated through my shirt.” He says ushering to his shirt which is thrown onto the ground.

“It is slowly coming along.” Chloe says as she looks around.

“Mom says that when I finish it, it is mine.”

“Oh now it is only yours.”

“I was thinking ours.” Carter says as he watches Chloe climb up on to the small hay loft.

“Good then there has to have a big red barn, a white house with green shutters and a pool.”

“How big do you want the garage?”

“Huge.” Chloe says as Carter climbs the ladder and kisses her when he reaches the top.

“I should get back to work; I want to finish the floors tonight.”

”Want help?”

“No, just keep me company.”

“I think I can do that.” She says as Carter gets back to work. “Reed asked Bay out on a date last night.”

“Is that good?”

“Not when I have to go with Jack.”

“What are you guys going to do?”

“I have absolute no idea, but I know who I am going to think about the whole time.”

“Well remind me to beat him up.”

“Silly, I was talking about you.”

“I knew that.”

“Are you sure, because I through you where getting all jealous.”

“I don’t get jealous.”

“The swing broke.” She says looking up at were the old swing would hang.

“I know that is how I got the gash on my arm.” He says without looking up. On Carter left arm, a part of his shirt is tied to stop the bleeding.

“Oh my, are you okay.”

“I have dealt with worse.”

“I can kiss it and make it better.”

“I am fine; I just got to finish this floor.”

“Did it hurt real badly when you fell?”

“I was not swinging really hard, but it was not pleasant.”

“You poor thing.” Chloe says but she knows she will not be able to convince him to stop.

“Chloe, you know how you always stop at the edge of town but never take a step out.” Carter says with a smile.

“Ya, I you know I have not left town after Trevor.”

“You are out of town limits now.”

“What.”

“The house is still in town, but not the barn.”

“You though now would be the time to tell me?”

“Well there is a race, come and watch me.” Carter says not looking up.

“What race?”

“Cristiano Carlo 500.”

“That is the most dangerous race in the world.” Chloe screams.

“I will be fine.”

“People die in that race; I don’t want you in a hospital or worse.”

“Come on babe, what is worse than the hospital?”

“I don’t know maybe a box in the ground!”

“Look, I know that it is not the best but I think I should race.”

“Who told you to race? I do not think that Rory would want to lose his star driver in a dangerous race.”

“Reed and I are going.”

“Now you lesson to him. What happened to you wanting to punch his face in, seriously he is the worst person to lesson to.” Chloe says really mad. “People team up in that race, and it is mostly against the best racer.”

“Chloe relax.” Carter says as he grabs her arms and pulls her close.

“Don’t you tell me to relax? You are good Carter, real good. Reed wants you out of his way. But if you don’t race, you don’t end up in a hospital.” She says into his chest.
“I don’t want to sit this one out, I have always sat it out.”
“Because you have something in that head of yours.”
“Did you just all me smart?”
“Yes, but it does not matter, do not race.” Chloe begs.

“In here.” Bay screams from her room.
Bay’s closet is all over her pink room. She has been digging through giant piles of close to find something appropriate to wear on her date with Reed all morning. Chloe walks into her room wearing a light pink shirt and jean shorts.
“Great I cannot wear pink!” Bay says upset and troughs a pink shirt across the room.
“I bet you have something to wear for your date.” Chloe says as she starts rummaging through a pile of cloths. “How about this brown dress?”
“No it is brown.”
“You could look like chocolate ice cream, all guys love ice cream.” Chloe laughs. “Actually all people love chocolate ice cream.”
“Chloe I am serious, I need something nice to wear.”
“How about your purple flowered dress.”
“You know my closet inside out, don’t you?” Bay says as she walks into her huge walk in closet and grabs the dress. Bay runs to the bathroom and changes and applies a layer of makeup.
“I am just leaving all of these cloths were they are.” Chloe calls and Bay walks out
“Do I look dinner appropriate?” Bay asks as she looks in the mirror.
“You look fine.” Chloe says as the doorbell rings and worry covers Bay’s face. “I guess I will be getting the door.”
Chloe gets the door. Jack and Reed are wearing polo’s and jeans. They walk in and wait for Bay to descend the stairs.
“Let’s go.” Reed says as he tries to remember who he is going out with tonight.
“I am ready.” Bay says as her heart flutters

“Tonight has been fun.” Reed says to Chloe and Bay. Jack had to leave right after dinner. Chloe said that she could take a taxi back to Bay’s house but Reed insisted she stayed. Bay was not so happy they went paint balling, but she tried to put a brave face on when her dress got ruined. Chloe cannot wait for midnight.
“We are going to see you race tomorrow.” Bay says
“That’s great!” Reed says.
“You know what they say about that race, so good luck.” Chloe says trying not to remember that Carter will be racing too.
“Good night.” Bay says as she walks up the steps to her front door.
“Bye.” Reed and Chloe say as Reed starts walking her to the edge of the street where her car is parked.
“I wanted to apologies about that kiss, not because I kissed. I did enjoy the kiss, but it was at the wrong time and place.”
“She is my best friend, and truly I should not have come.”
“There is something about you Chloe, I have not figured it out yet but I will.”
“You do not need to figure me out; you need to stay away from me.”
“You know I cannot do that.”
“But you have to.”
“Did you feel it when I kissed you?”
“I felt absolutely nothing.” Chloe says as her mind wonders to Carter.
“I felt something.”
“Good bye.” Chloe says as she gets in her car and drives away in the sunset.
“See you around.” Reed says as he watches her car speed off.