Juliana's World | Teen Ink

Juliana's World

By Musicninja2, Groveland, Massachusetts
Musicninja2, Groveland, Massachusetts

"I plan to live forever or die trying"

Author's note: I began writing this piece when I was 12. Finished it when I was 14. It's nothing really compared to the professionals. However, I'm proud of the work I put into this story. I originally got the idea from my sister. She had used the name Juliana for a character and Heather and Nate for Juliana's siblings. She had also set up the time period. Upon reading her plot line I really wished that I could take over this story, and write it in my own way. So I said to her "let me use the names of the three main characters, and the time period and we'll each write our own stories with the characters. Then when we both finish, we'll see whose is better". I finished mine. She never finished hers. So this is the final result.

In Groveland, Massachusetts, 1857. Mrs. Margaret Tussin urged her daughter to finish her breakfast. “Hurry Juliana! You have to meet Heather by the General Store this morning”. Heather was Juliana’s sister. They had to go to Market today because Tuesday was Market day. Heather had woken up early and walked to Market. She did not do as well with horses as Juliana did. Though Juliana, on the other hand, loved riding her horse, Raven. The family was only able to get to Market once a week. In that one day the two girls had to get everything that the family may need or want for that week. It was harder in the winter because, with all the snow, there was less of an opportunity to get to Market.

“Alright, Mama, alright”. So Juliana gulped the rest of her juice, put her pewter mug, plate and utensils in the big water basin and walked out the door. Once outside she walked out to the stables. When she entered Raven immediately whinnied in complaint. He knew today was Market day. He had had a tough night in terms of sleeping and she knew he didn’t want to go but she didn’t have any other choice but to bring him.

“I’m sorry boy” she said and she patted his nose. Juliana got all his gear and saddled him. Just before she left for town she ran back in the house to get the list from her mother. “Mama, I need the list”! She called. Juliana ran into the kitchen. Mrs. Tussin was cleaning. “It’s on the counter” she said in a weary voice. Juliana walked over and picked it up and put it in her apron pocket. “Is Nate coming this time”? Juliana asked. “No Juli”. “He got that new job chopping wood for the school for the winter to come, remember”? Her mother said as if she were still a young child. “Yes, Mama, I remember now”. And so Juliana strode outside again. She mounted Raven like a boy would and set off.

Nate was their older brother. He was sixteen. Heather and Juliana both thought that he got a job chopping wood for the school, just so he could be around the new school teacher. He liked her they were sure of it. Heather was fourteen and Juliana, thirteen.

Heather and Juliana did not go to school. They were home schooled by their mother a few days a week and she taught them everything she knew. So they were just fine with being home schooled.

As Raven brought Juliana closer to town the wind picked up. Her auburn hair flew all around her face. Soon the horse slowed when they reached the Market. She dismounted and stationed Raven in the public town stable. Then she set off with her basket over one arm, in search of her sister. Once the wind died down Juliana smoothed her brown dress and straightened her bonnet. She wished she had more of a choice of what color dresses she could wear. But her family couldn’t afford exotic colors. So her only color choices were, brown, black, white, and yellow.

When I get a little older and can earn my own money, I’ll buy some prettier colors thought Juliana.

“Good morning, Juliana” Mrs. Johnson said as she walked past the girl. “Good morning, Mrs. Johnson” Juliana responded. The air was crisp this morning and it smelled of fall and leaves.
Soon Juliana came to the General Store where she saw her sister Heather. Heather was slightly taller than her. She had dark brown hair that matched her father’s and Nate’s color hair exactly. Her hair was tied up in a bun and hidden by her bonnet. Her dress was a grayish color. She had a makeshift apron very much similar to Juliana’s makeshift apron. Heather’s dark green eyes looked her over appearing impatient.

“I’m glad you’ve finally decided to come today” Heather said. Juliana could see the smile behind her eyes. Heather mocked her and she didn’t mind. “I have the list this time” Juliana said taking it out of her apron pocket. Heather took it from her hand and read it. The list read:

1. Two pounds of Sugar.

2. Two pounds of Flour.

3. One ball of red yarn.

4. Three needles.

5. Three yards of brown cloth.

6. One pound of steak.

7. A dozen eggs.

8. A new quilt.

9. Three yards of blue cloth.

“Is that it”? Heather asked. “Yep. That’s it for this week” Juliana said. “Okay then, let’s get started” she said with a spring in her voice. First they needed to go inside the General Store to buy the food.

The two girls wandered around the store picking up everything they needed there. Heather got the sugar and flour and Juliana got the eggs. Juliana was finished first so she walked up to the counter.

There was a boy behind the counter about her age. She had never seen him before. “Good Day, Sir” Juliana said politely. “Good Day, Ma’am” he said with equal politeness. They both smiled. Then they began to talk regularly to each other. “What is your name”? Juliana asked him. “My name is Jeremy” he said. “I’ve been hired to help Mr. Goodman here at the store”. “Oh, okay” Juliana nodded. Then she remembered why she had come in the first place. “I have a dozen eggs” Juliana said placing the eggs on the counter. Jeremy started counting the eggs. Then he pulled out a pad and a quill and started adding it all up. Juliana watched him.

He was very handsome. He had dark brown hair and bronze colored eyes. He was about her height. After he finished adding he looked back at her and said “The total for these eggs is 79 cents”. She pulled her purse out of the basket and took out 79 cents and handed it to him. He packed them in a carton and he handed her the eggs. She placed them carefully in the basket and as she left he called “Thank you, Ma’am”! “Juliana”! She called over her shoulder. “Juliana” he whispered to himself smiling.

Juliana waited outside the General Store for Heather. In a few moments she came out with two large sacks. One of flour and one of sugar. She set them down on the front step outside the store and sat down next to them. “Juliana”! She cried exasperated. “Why didn’t you leave the basket with me”! “You never asked for it” she said all innocence. “Uh”! Heather sighed.

Juliana decided to help her tired sister by grabbing first the sack of flour and putting it in her basket next to the eggs and then reaching down and grabbing the sack of sugar and putting it next to the flour.

“Just for that, you can carry the basket until we get to the dressmakers” Heather said. “Heather, that’s not fair”! “You know I’m not as strong”! Juliana cried. She knew she probably deserved it weren’t true.

“Fine” Juliana said after a moment’s pause. “I’ll carry it. But only until we get to the dressmakers”. “Okay then, let’s get a move on” Heather replied standing up. The spring was back in her voice. “We’ve got a lot of work to do”. “I know, Eatha, I know”. Eatha was Heather’s nickname. Just as Juli was Juliana’s nickname.

So Juliana picked up the basket and they headed onward to the dressmakers shop. There they would get all their cloth and sewing materials. As they walked the next few blocks to the dressmakers, they passed some neighbors and good friends of their Mother’s. They passed Mrs. Lerter at an outside stand looking at different kinds of vegetables that the man was selling. “Good day, Mrs. Lerter”! Heather called as they passed by. She spun around to see who had called her. Then she found them. She said something to the man behind the stand and then walked up to them. “Hello, girls” she said smiling. “It’s always a pleasure to see you”. “How are you doing, Ma’am”? Asked Juliana. “Oh, very well, thank you”. “And how are you? How’s your Mum? Everything going all right”?

“We are very well” answered Heather. “Our Mother is doing fine, for all we know and everything is going all right, thank you”.

“Oh, very good then” the woman responded cheerfully. “I think perhaps I might call on her today”. “I’m sure she would love that” Juliana said. “Oh good”! Then the woman glanced back at the stand. “Well, I should be going. I’ll see you two later this afternoon” Mrs. Lerter said. “Ta ta”! And she walked off. The sisters continued on.

“Mrs. Lerter is nice but also a bit too friendly it seems” Juliana told Heather. “Yes, the thought crossed my mind as well” the elder girl responded. They walked in silence for a few more blocks. “Do you think that something is wrong with Mama”? Juliana asked suddenly. “No. Why? Do you”? Heather asked her nervously. “Well it’s just that she seems tired all the time now. And I know with Papa gone, that it is harder but she just seems so out of sorts” Juliana finished.

Their father was going all across New England looking for work. Once he found work he would send the family money. He wrote to them every week. In his last letter he said he still wasn’t able to find a job but he looked every day.

Just then the girls arrived at the dressmakers. Before going inside the sisters straightened their hair and smoothed out the wrinkles in their dresses. Once they looked presentable, they walked into the shop.

Inside there were rows of shelves with different colored cloths on them. On a table, needles and balls of yarn and sewing kits were laid out. Pieces of embroidery done by the shop owner’s daughter, Kate, were framed and hung on walls. They stepped in and looked at what they needed. The girls soon decided that Heather would get the three yards of blue and brown cloth, and that Juliana would get the needles and red yarn.

Juliana went to the table and looked around until she found a ball of red yarn. She picked it up and then started searching for three needles. In a moment she found them and she went to pay for them at the counter. Mrs. Ilithede was the woman who owned the store. “Good day, Mrs. Ilithede” Juliana said as she put the needles and yarn on the counter. “Oh! Hello, Juliana” she said smiling. “I forgot it’s the day of the week when I get to see your beautiful face” she said smiling. They both laughed. “Thank you, Mrs. Ilithede” Juliana said smiling. “Okay this will be 94 cents, Miss Juliana” she said in a friendly tone. Juliana reached into the basket, pulled out her purse and handed the woman 94 cents. “Thank you, Juliana” she said. “Thank you, Mrs. Ilithede”. “You’re very welcome” she responded. “Can’t wait to see you next week, dear” the woman called.

When she stepped outside, she was surprised to see Heather. “Heather! I thought you were still in there”! Juliana exclaimed surprised. “Well, another woman in the store helped me get the cloth and I paid for it” Heather said, smiling at her sisters surprise.

Juliana took the list out of her makeshift apron pocket. “Okay, now the only thing left to get is a pound of steak and a new quilt” Juliana told Heather.

“Okay, so we’ll need to go to the butcher shop for the steak and we’ll need to find a stand that is selling a quilt” Heather told her. “Sounds easy enough. First we should go to the butcher’s and then find a quilt” Juliana said. Heather nodded and they walked on. It was almost midday. Juliana felt the heat of the sun on her head. She wished she could just strip down to her undergarments and run in the fields by her house. That would be heavenly.

Suddenly she came out of her daydream and she realized they were standing in front of the door to the butcher’s shop. Large chicken and duck meats were hanging in the window. The two sisters walked up the steps and stepped inside the shop. There were many kinds of meats hanging from the ceiling and in a back room there were more drying.

Mr. Tinkara was behind the counter organizing papers nearby. Suddenly he heard the bell ring as the door opened and he looked up.

Heather stepped forward. “Good day, Mr. Tinkara” she said. “Good day, girls” he said gruffly. “How can I help you today”? “We need one pound of steak” Juliana said stepping beside her sister. “Okay, one pound of steak coming up” he said smiling. He walked over to the door of the back room, pulled it open, and stepped inside the room.

Juliana smelled the scent of fresh meat. She heard him wrapping the steak and then saw him come out and behind the counter once more, with the wrapped steak in his hands. “That’ll be 59 cents” he told them. “Heather opened her purse before Juliana could get to hers and she took out 59 cents and laid it on the counter. Then Mr. Tinkara placed the steak in a bag and handed it to Heather. “Thank you, Sir” Heather said. He nodded to her. Heather walked out the door. “Thank you” Juliana said and then she picked up her basket and left the shop.

Once outside Heather put the steak in the basket. “Now all we need is the quilt” Heather said. “We have to find it for Mama” Juliana said. “The only reason she doesn’t make one herself is because we don’t have enough materials for clothes for the four of us and a quilt”.

The girls turned back to face the way they had come and as they walked the searched for stands which might be selling quilts. They were almost near the General Store again when they found a stand that was being run by an old woman. Hanging from posts nearby were some of the most beautiful quilts Juliana had ever seen.

“Eatha look”! Juliana cried excitedly. Heather turned and saw them. She squealed with excitement. Then the sisters strode up to the stand.

“Miss”? Juliana said. “Miss, how much do you want for that quilt”? Juliana asked pointing to a quilt with different colored squares as a border and then a beautiful colored dove in the middle that looked like it was taking flight.

“I would like 1.88 for that quilt” the old woman croaked. Juliana was a little shocked at the price but it was so beautiful that it seemed that that was the price it deserved. She looked over at Heather to see what she thought. Reading her expression, she seemed shocked as well so Juliana took out her purse and took out 1.88 just what she had asked for and she gave it to the woman and the woman handed her the beautiful quilt.

“Thank you, Ma’am” Juliana said. The sisters walked away to find the public stable. “Mama will be pleased” Juliana said smiling. “She will be very pleased” Heather agreed. Soon the found the public stable near the General Store and Juliana found Raven and saddled him. Then she mounted him like a boy again and Heather scolded her for mounting the wrong way and then mounted on behind her like a lady. Juliana put the basket in between her stomach and Raven’s neck.

With a final glance around Juliana said goodbye to Market until next week. Then she slapped Raven on the rump and he set off.

The wind whipped Juliana’s hair all over the place. She felt Heather’s hands tightly holding on to her waist. Heather was not a skilled rider and she felt awkward riding horses.

“Juliana why do you mount like that”? Heather called. “It’s easier”! “Well it’s improper”! “It’s one thing to do it where no one can see you, but in the middle of Market”! “I don’t care what people think of me”! Juliana said stubbornly.

After a moment or two, “What do you think about Mrs. Lerter coming this afternoon”? Juliana asked above the wind. “Well I like Mrs. Lerter all right, but she seems really strange to me” Heather told her. “I know she is a friend of Mama’s, but I don’t like her” Juliana said.

The girls rode in silence until they saw their old house. It was a tall brown house in the middle of a field. “I really hope Mama likes the quilt we picked out,” Juliana said. “What do you mean ‘we’”? Heather demanded. “I had no say in the matter whatsoever”.

“Oh, lets not argue now” Juliana pleaded. “It’s over”. By this time they had reached the stable. Juliana dismounted Raven. Then Heather handed her the basket. Juliana set it down to help her sister dismount. Once they both had their feet on the ground, Juliana led Raven into the stable, took off all his gear and led him into his stall to eat the hay that was spread about.

Then Juliana locked the stable and strode into the house. She went into the kitchen and found Heather and their mother unloading the basket with all their goods and putting them away.

“Did you see the quilt”? Juliana asked. “Yes, Dear, and it’s beautiful” Mrs. Tussin said with a sigh of joy. That was a good thing. Their mother was happy. “Mrs. Lerter is coming today” Heather told her mother as she emptied the last item from the basket. “Really! Oh how good of her”!

“Mama, is anything wrong”? Juliana had asked the question that all three of the kids had been wondering. “Juli, dear, why don’t you sit down in the living room? You’ve had a long morning and might need some rest” Mrs. Tussin said, deliberately ignoring the question.

“Mama” Juliana said, struggling to keep her voice calm. “We want to know what’s wrong”. “You have seemed very out of sorts lately”.

The mistress of the house sighed. “Come, both of you, into the living room”. Mama pushed past Juliana and strode into the living room. Heather was right behind her and Juliana turned and followed her. Mama sat down in her blue rocking chair by the window. Heather sat on the sofa and Juliana sat on the one opposite it. There was a small table in between the two sofas. There was Mama’s rocking chair in one corner and a rug on the floor.

“All right, girls” Mrs. Tussin began. “It’s your father”. “He hasn’t found work and we’re running out of money”. “If we cannot pay for food or clothing, then we will starve and catch cold and become ill”. “Any job will do”. “It is just hard knowing that he is going about New England all alone”. “That is what has been on my mind”.

“Oh Mama”! Heather cried as she rushed forward to hug her mother. “It’ll be all right”. “Everything will be fine”! “Oh Mama”! Juliana rushed over to her and embraced them both. “Papa will be safe” Juliana said comfortingly. “He knows all about the world”.

“Girls”, their mother said, wiping a tear from her cheek. “It’s getting late and...” they heard a knock at the door. “Mama, that’s Mrs. Lerter”! Juliana cried. “We forgot to tell you she was coming” Heather said calmly. “All right just, uh, both of you, upstairs to your room” Mama ordered.

The sisters obediently obeyed and walked to the staircase and climbed the steep steps to the second story. When they reached the top they turned left and strode down the hallway until they reached the third door. Inside was the bedroom the girls shared.

There were two beds against one wall. Then there was a closet in another wall and a desk and wardrobe along the other walls. Each girl had a little table next to her bed. On the beds were a thin quilt and then a woolen blanket tucked underneath. There was a thin pillow at the head board and each had a stuffed animal made of cloth. The last present given to them by their father two Christmases ago. Juliana had a stuffed bear and Heather had a stuffed sheep.

Juliana sat on the edge of her bed and Heather sat on her bed facing Juliana. “I can’t believe Mrs. Lerter is here”! Heather cried exasperated. “To tell you the truth I don’t like her at all” Juliana said. “She creeps me out”.

Heather gave a little giggle. “Yeah” she said smiling a little. “It’s so hard just to be polite to her” Juliana said. Then the two sisters started laughing. They could barely breathe they were laughing so hard. Once they had calmed down, Juliana got up and strode over to the wall where her calendar hung. She got a new calendar from Mama every year at Christmas time.

“November 27th” she whispered. “What”? Heather asked from across the room. “It’s November 27th” she repeated. “28 days until Christmas”. “The first snow is supposed to come any day now” Heather told her. “It’s coming very, very late this year”. “I know it” Juliana answered. “It might as well be snowing right now”. She laughed. Heather smiled a beautiful smile. Mrs. Tussin always said that Heather’s smile was exactly like their great grandmothers smile. As beautiful as the first bird of spring.

Juliana plopped on her bed and rolled over. As she turned she caught a glimpse of something moving outside the window. She rolled back over and propped herself up on one elbow. She looked outside, and it was snowing.

Juliana and Heather ran to the small window in the corner of their room. Outside there was a light snow falling from the sky. They stared at the beautiful sight. It was dark outside now. Almost suppertime. Juliana looked toward the ground and saw that Nate was walking through the snow as fast as he could. There was not much snow on the ground but enough that part of the ground was white. He pulled his small cart behind him. Juliana could just make out the axe inside it. She knew what he would do. He would put his cart in the barn, and come and disturb Mama.

Juliana wondered how long they had been up here. It was dark and she wondered why Mama hadn’t called them for supper. “I think we should go downstairs now” Juliana told Heather. “I think you’re probably right. It’s probably suppertime and we should go and see what is going on down there anyway” Heather said after a moment’s pause.

So the girls quietly tiptoed out of their room and walked down the creaky stairs and they stopped in the doorway of the sewing room where they found Mama and Mrs. Lerter still sewing and talking there. A fire roared in the small fireplace. The room was cozy and sweet.

“Mrs. Lerter!” Juliana gasped as she entered the room. “What are...? I mean, why... I mean, you’re still here”? Juliana stammered. She had made a fool of herself.

“Oh! Your mother and I are having a delightful time, but maybe I should be on my way” Mrs. Lerter told them. “I don’t think you’re going to be able to leave any time soon” Nate said. He had come up behind them. The sisters spun around, surprised at his being there.

“It’s started to snow and its getting worse. I think it would be wise if you stayed here until it let up. We wouldn’t want you to catch ill or anything” Nate told her.

“I will take your advice in that” the woman said “If it’s alright with you, Margaret” she added. “Of course! It would be my pleasure to have you stay until the snow let’s up”. “You can stay in the spare room” their mother said.

Great! Juliana thought. Just great! Juliana looked over at Heather to see what she thought, but she just stared. Her face was blank and empty and even pale.

“Why don’t we all have supper”? Mrs. Tussin suggested. She put down her knitting and headed into the kitchen. There was soup prepared in a pot over the fire. Their mother carefully took the pot and put it on the table. “Nate”! She called. “Nate, can you get the bowls down from the shelf for me”! Without a word, Nate came into the kitchen and took the wooden bowls off of the shelf and placed them on the table next to the pot.

Mrs. Tussin started ladling soup into each bowl and then called the group in to have supper. They all sat around the rectangle shaped table.

The mistress of the house sat at the end and Mrs. Lerter sat at the other end. Nate sat on the side to the left of Mrs. Lerter and Heather sat next to him. Juliana sat on the opposite side across from Nate. The group ate in silence. “Margaret, this is wonderful”! Mrs. Lerter said breaking the silence. “Thank you, Virginia” their mother responded.

Juliana looked at Heather questioningly. ‘Virginia?’ she mouthed. ‘No idea’ Heather mouthed back, then quickly went back to her soup as she saw their mother watching them out of the corner of her eye.

Supper passed slowly and silently for the girls and Nate. The children were not supposed to speak unless spoken to. At least until they turned 18. Nate was lucky. He had only two more years to put up with this. Mrs. Tussin didn’t like the rule and usually let them talk as a family, except when there were guests over. And who knew how long Mrs. Lerter would be stuck here until the snow let up. It would be torture!

Once supper was finally over, Juliana cleared away the dishes, washed and dried them, and put them away in the cabinet.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Tussin showed Mrs. Lerter to her room and got her settled in for the night. Nate, Heather, and Juliana walked up the steep stairs to their rooms. “Good night, Nate” Heather said giving their brother a hug. “Night, Eatha” he said. Then Heather walked into their room and shut the door. “Night, Nate. See you in the morning”. “Night, Juli” he said giving her a hug.

“Juliana,” he said before she left. “Yeah”? “Try and be nice to Mrs. Lerter. I know that you and Eatha don’t like her very much and neither do I but she’s a good friend of Mama’s and it’s important to her that we like her and she’s a good friend for Mama”. “Was it that obvious”? Juliana asked.

“You are polite to her but I know you too well” Nate said with a smile. “Good night, Juli” he said again giving her hand a squeeze and then walking into his bedroom and closing the door. Juliana smiled and then walked sleepily into her bedroom. Heather was already in her nightgown sitting on the edge of her bed. The girls always talked to each other about any news they had before they went to bed.

“Just let me get changed” Juliana told her walking past the beds to the wardrobe. She pulled out one drawer and pulled out her thin nightgown. She pulled off her dress and petticoat and then changed into her nightgown. Then she sat on her bed facing Heather and said “Okay any news from today”? “Besides Mrs. Lerter being here” she added quickly.

“Well, I saw a rabbit today in the fields this morning” Heather said. “It was so cute and adorable”. “I wanted to bring it home, but Mama wouldn’t like it. I mean, we can hardly feed ourselves”.

“Well, today in the General Store, I met this really cute boy today”. “The one behind the counter”? Heather asked. “Yes. He was soo cute” Juliana said dreamily. “Juliana...” Heather said in a tone that meant If you don’t pull yourself together you’re going to get us both in trouble. “What”! Juliana exclaimed.

“If you fall for this kid then you will forget yourself and wander off and skip your chores and the like”. “I’m not talking about marriage or anything”! “I’m too young for that”! “It’s just that I like him and he and I could be friends.”! Juliana cried.

“Or something more serious than that. But I hear you” Heather said. “And I understand”. “You know, I have a friend who is a boy, he’s almost courting me. His name is Peter Sintaz” Heather said.

“Really! Does Mama know? How long have you two been ‘friends’”? Juliana asked putting air quotes around the last word.

“Mama does not know”. “We only see each other about three times a month and we’ve been friends since we were ten” Heather said calmly. “Do you want to marry him someday”? Juliana asked playfully. “I might” Heather said shrugging. “Well, I’m just saying, it’s alright to have friends, but don’t get too close. And who knows, you may just be short acquaintances” Heather said.

“Wait, wait, wait” said Juliana. “You’re telling me not to talk to him. Maybe even have him as my beau, and yet you’re here telling me that you have this kid, Peter, courting you”! Juliana cried annoyed.

“I just want to look out for you, Juliana” Heather said. “I’m only a year younger than you”! The sister cried. “I’m sorry Juliana; I just don’t want you entering the real world before your time”. She sighed. “Just ignore me” Heather said. “You’ll understand soon enough”.

“Well, we should get to sleep before someone hears us” Juliana said, yawning. “You’re right” Heather agreed.

So they climbed under their covers and pulled out their thick blankets. Juliana blew out the candle and both the sisters fell quickly to sleep.

The next morning Juliana woke up before Heather. She quietly stepped out of bed, put on her shoes and silently tiptoed down the stairs to the kitchen. Once she reached the kitchen, she started pulling out a few eggs and a large pan. She would make eggs for breakfast.

Juliana had to make breakfast for the family, Heather had to make luncheon and Mother had to make supper.

She lit the stove carefully and then started to fry the eggs in the pan. As she worked she hummed a little tune. Juliana thought about what Heather had said last night. She had a friend.....David! That was right. And she has been meeting with him since she was ten and for three times a month. So that meant she had seen him one-hundred and forty-four times!

What did it mean? Did it mean she would become friends with Jeremy? Is it a trait that runs in the family?

I wonder if Mama was ever friends with a boy before. Juliana thought. No. Mama is too good. She would never break rules. Would she?

Their mother wasn’t able to be bad was she? She just couldn’t fathom it.

Soon after the eggs were done frying, Juliana took out some raw bacon and placed five pieces in the pan and began to fry them. Once they were done, she took them out of the pan, placed them on the plate next to the stove, and placed the pan in the big water basin.

After she was done with breakfast she laid an egg and a piece of bacon on each plate and set the table. After a few minutes Nate came down.

“Morning, Juli” he said yawning. “Morning” Juliana responded waving. Nate sat at his place at the table. Without a word the two sat patiently, waiting for the rest of the family to come down.

Soon Heather came down, followed by Mama, who was followed by Mrs. Lerter. Once everyone was seated they ate their breakfast in a sleepy sort of silence.

Juliana was wide awake. Nate looked like he was about to fall asleep right then and there. Juliana had to restrain herself from laughing at the thought. Heather looked half awake. Mama looked as awake as Juliana. Mrs. Lerter looked like she was half awake. She barely moved as she ate her breakfast.

“So, how are we all this morning”? Mrs. Tussin asked brightly looking around the table. Juliana was just as peppy. She thought she took after their mother more than her father. Nate and Heather had more of their father’s characteristics.

“I’m doing very well thank you” Juliana answered just as brightly. “And how are you, Mama”? She asked. “Very well thank you, Juli”.

Juliana started laughing. Then Mama started laughing as well. The other three just stared at them.

“What’s so funny”? Mrs. Lerter demanded. Mother and daughter kept laughing until Mrs. Tussin was finally able to pull herself together and answer “Virginia, you, you all are like zombies! Half asleep this morning, are we? Juliana and I are the only ones awake it seems”! Mrs. Tussin explained at last calming down.

Juliana started breathing slower and was soon able to stop herself.

“Oh, yes, well, I’m always like this in the morning” Mrs. Lerter said. “Didn’t sleep well” Nate mumbled across to the table to Juliana so that the women wouldn’t here.

The two women talked and the children ate silently. Once everyone was done with breakfast, Nate, Heather, and Juliana got a start on their chores for the day, while Mama and Mrs. Lerter got started on the housework. Nate’s chore was to tend to the animals in the stable. In the spring, summer and fall he would tend to the fields. Heather’s chore was to do all of the family’s laundry. She mended and washed. And Juliana’s job was to do all of the dishes. The family used many dishes during the day and she would have to wash and dry them all.

After the chores were done, the kids could do whatever they wanted within range. They were limited to inside the house because the snow was piling up outside.

Juliana, Heather, and Nate stormed up the stairs and ran into Nate’s room. Nate’s room was small and dark. It had one window. He had a long and narrow bed with a brown, green and blue striped blanket. He had an orange bureau in one corner and a chest with his valuables in another corner.

They needed to have a meeting. They had meetings like this every month to talk about a new and important topic. Heather was the leader of the group.

The three siblings climbed onto the bed in a small circle so that they could all see one another. “Roll Call”! Heather cried. “Nate”? “Present”! He said smiling a faint smile. “Juliana”? “Present”! Juliana called.

“Okay then” Heather said “This month’s topic will be: Winter”.

“We have many chores to do in the winter and we need to figure out how to do them all. We need logs for the fire this winter”. She looked at Nate. “I got that one” Nate said smiling.

“Okay we also need to go to Market every Tuesday and we might have trouble taking Raven through the all the snow that will have piled up by next week”. “Any ideas”?

“We could try and clear a path through the snow” Juliana suggested. “Then we could take Raven to market on the path that is cleared away. But Nate would have to come with us”. “He’d need to shovel the snow in front of us”.

“That could work” Heather said musing on the idea. “I’d be willing to do it” Nate added. “Okay then that’s settled” Heather said. “Next thing we need to solve is how to get Mrs. Lerter through the snow and back to her own house” “She’s driving me nuts”! Heather cried.

“Heather, that is disrespectful”! Juliana scolded. “You were thinking the exact same thing” Nate said matter-of-factly. Juliana made a face at Nate and he smiled satisfactorily knowing he was right. “When the snow stops falling then we could let Raven take her back. Raven can ride through a certain amount of snow and it hasn’t fallen too thick yet so I think he’d be able to take her” Juliana said smiling excitedly. It would be so nice to have creepy, Mrs. Lerter out of their house Juliana thought.

“Perfect”! Heather exclaimed excitedly. “Now, Nate, are you working on our first book”? “I’m working on it” Nate said. “It’ll be ready soon. In another week or so, I think”.

The book was for their group. If they were able to get more kids to join, they would meet in secret, in a clearing, in the woods behind the country club in town. They would talk about fun things to do after chores so that the kids in town could have a little something to look forward to every week. Although it wasn’t exactly a good thing to have kids meeting in secret and it could be frowned upon that it would be a mixture of girls and boys but if none of the adults in town found out then they would be all right. It was for good anyway so.....

The afternoon passed slowly. The Tussin kids talked about their group and different ideas. Soon it was suppertime and a slow quiet dinner passed. Once it was over, the kids went their separate ways but all of them were soon in bed and fast asleep.

If someone were to look at the Tussin family house from the outside one snowing evening, they might see one small candle flickering in a small window on the first floor of the house. Inside the room was a pale faced Mrs. Tussin. She held a letter in her hand and was reading it by the small candle over and over again.

Soon the mistress got up out of her chair and went to her bed to think over what she had just read. The letter read this:

Dear Mrs. Tussin,

Your husband, James Tussin, has fallen ill with pneumonia. He has been traveling around Virginia all of autumn and all of the coming winter looking for work with no success and he has had little food and little shelter to stay in. He is now staying at the Bernson Inn in Richmond. He requests that you come and help him through his illness. Meanwhile he is being taken care of by some of the most trusted members of the staff here. We hope that you will come and help James through his time of unrest.

Sincerely,

Mr. Cammett.

Mrs. Tussin was lying in her bed and she thought about what she should do. Mrs. Lerter was their guest. The children needed to be taken care of. James was ill with pneumonia. Oh, could things get any worse!

She had to go to see James, try and nurse him back to health. She would take the train. Mrs. Lerter.... uh.... Ah! She could try and send her back to her house. It had been almost a week now since she had been home. They could send her with Butternut. Butternut was Heather’s horse wasn’t it? Anyway. That should be it but... The children! Her children! What would they do without her? Would they need a neighbor to watch them? Would they be fine on their own? Well, first things first were to get a good nights sleep. She would deal with matters in the morning.

In the morning Mrs. Tussin was the first one up. She awoke cheerfully and then remembered the letter. She dressed quickly and then went downstairs to cook breakfast. After everyone was awake and everyone had had a nice and solid breakfast, the family and their guest went into the sewing room and the mistress of the house told them of the problem that they faced.

“Oh Dear”! Virginia had exclaimed. “Well, I see I must take my leave of you all” “I thank you for your hospitality but it seems that, alas, I must go”. “Margaret, you and your family have been quite the hosts and I can never thank you enough”.

“Any time, Virginia” Mrs. Tussin acknowledged. And so, within a few hours time, Virginia was gone, and Nate had brought Butternut back again.

Once Mrs. Lerter was gone and Nate was back again, she sat her children down in the Parlor and spoke to them about what they might want to do and what would be in their best interest to do while she was gone.

“We can stay by ourselves, Mama” Heather told her. “I think we should stay with a family who might be able to help us with things that we couldn’t do ourselves” Juliana put in. “Perhaps we could move in with a family closer to town so we wouldn’t have to walk as far”. “Well I think that we should go with you” Nate suggested.

“You all have brilliant suggestions” she told her children, “but we must all agree on one solution together”. “I may be gone as long as a month or two but it’s possible that I might not be able to return until spring. Keep that in mind when you make your decision. Do you think you children will be able to run the house by yourselves until spring”? She glanced at Heather as she said this.

“Um...I think we should go with Juliana’s idea” Nate said. “I have a friend who lives close to town. His name is Tim and I could ask him if we’d be able to stay there for a while. He’s an only child so I’m sure his parents wouldn’t mind the help we could offer”. “Does anyone else agree”?

“I agree with Juliana and Nate” Heather said sighing. “All right then, that’s settled” Margaret said to them. “You’re free to go” she said with a dismissive sort of gesture.

“Oh Nate”! She called just before he went out the door. “Yes”? He asked. “You and I will go right now to the um... uh....” “Mastersons”? “Yes the Mastersons house and talk to your friend Tim and his parents”. “Yes, Ma’am”.

After that Nate put on his coat and went to saddle Raven while Mrs. Tussin got her shawl and coat and scarf and spoke to the girls about where they were going.

Once the horse was ready and the mistress was waiting outside, mother and son mounted the horse and set off. The Mastersons house was on the way to town so that was the direction they were headed in.

The air was swift and cold and bitter. Tiny flakes of snow fell around them. Margaret Tussin was a brilliant rider and she could ride horses for hours on end. Nate was not the most efficient rider but he was still very skilled. Heather was the similar. But Juliana. Oh her Juliana was an amazing rider. Juliana reminded Mrs. Tussin of herself and when she looked into her daughters face she could see her own gazing back at her. Their appearances were very similar. If anything about Juliana was true, it was that she looked and behaved very much like her mother.

After a while of riding they finally reached the outskirts of town where Tim’s house was located. The pair dismounted and Mrs. Tussin strode to the front door and rapped smartly on the door.

After a few moments of waiting a young woman of about thirty years answered their knock. “Yes”? She asked politely. “Um... we need to speak with the master or mistress of this house” Mrs. Tussin said. “The lady can see you” the woman said. “Please follow me”. So mother and son both followed the serving woman through the house until they had stopped in front of a door at then end of a hall.

The servant knocked softly and after and answer from the mistress, opened the door and led the two inside. Mrs. Masterson stood from her chair immediately to greet them. She recognized Nate almost at once. “Why, Nate”! “What a pleasant surprise”! “Are you here to see Timothy”? She asked. “No actually, my mother and I need to talk with you about an important matter” Nate said speaking in a firm and official voice that even his mother did not recognize as his own.

“Oh! And this is your dear mother. My name is Sarah” Mrs. Masterson said with a slight curtsy. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Sarah” Mrs. Tussin said calmly. “My name is Margaret”. Mrs. Tussin made a slight curtsy in turn.

“Well,” Mrs. Masterson said looking rather flustered “whatever could you have come for”? “Is something wrong”? “Oh! Pardon my manners, please sit down” she said motioning to a sofa against one of the walls. Mother and son sat down next to each other and Margaret explained their case and asked if she might leave her children in the family’s care until she came back from her trip to Richmond.

“Why of course your children may stay with us”! “It would be our pleasure”! “We could use the help of your daughters and Nate and we are always open to helping family friends” Sarah said.

“Thank you” Margaret said standing up. She gave Sarah a nice polite curtsy. “We are very much obliged to you and your family”. “The pleasure is ours” Sarah replied. She stood and saw them to the door and then the serving maid showed them the way out.

After they left the Masterson’s house, mother and son rode home and told the girls of the news of how they would pass the winter.

That night Mrs. Tussin could not sleep. Knowing that her children would be without her for possibly the whole winter. She shivered. It was unsettling. They’ll be all right, Margaret assured herself. They are with a friend and besides James needs me. It would be so good to see him again after many months of his being gone. It would be so good to hold him against her and be with him. She would need to catch the first train to Virginia and quickly. She needed to heal her husband back to health.

Juliana did not sleep well that night. Her mother was going to Virginia to try and help Papa through his illness. She and her siblings would have to live with one of Nate’s friends in a strange house with strange people for possibly the whole winter! It was just too much to handle.

She wished that she could go and stay with one of the local girls at least! She wished that Papa wasn’t sick. She wished she could go and see him again. She hadn’t seen Papa for several months now. What would they do if he still could not find a job! Oh! Everything in their family was a mess! After a long while, she didn’t know how long, sleep and exhaustion overcame her and she fell silently asleep.

The next morning the family sat down to a quiet breakfast. They sat in their usual seats. Nate and Heather on one side. Juliana on the other. Their mother on the end.

“I was able to get a ticket for the train to Richmond” Mrs. Tussin said breaking the silence. “When will you leave, Mama”? Heather asked quietly. “Tomorrow morning” she said. Her tone sounded final or permanent. “I’ll miss you, Mama”! Juliana cried. “I’ll miss you, too my sweet baby girl” Margaret said. “I love you all so much, and I hope that you will never forget it”.

“Mama”! Juliana cried. Silent tears were coursing down her cheeks. She didn’t like to cry in front of people but she didn’t care this time.

“Oh, come now, Juliana, it’s okay, it’ll be all right” their mother said. She got up out of her chair and went to Juliana and hugged her whispering comforts.

The day passed slowly. The girls didn’t talk very much to each other that day. Their minds were weighed with the thought that their mother would be gone soon and they would be parentless until she came home. The girls were supposed to go to town yesterday but with Mama out of the house they could not go so they were preparing to go today. They would be able to go without Nate and without the cart because the snow had stopped suddenly. A path had been cleared when Nate and Mama took Raven yesterday to the Masterson’s so they would try to get to town without Nate. Whether they would be successful or not would be another matter.

The sisters put on three layers. Their day to day clothes, their coats and their shawls. Also for warmth they wore gloves, hats and scarves. Once they were all dressed and ready for the cold, the sisters set out on Raven. Juliana had saddled him herself. He was her horse and she knew how he liked to be saddled. Although adolescent girls saddling horses was sometimes frowned upon she did it anyway.

The cold air was unsettling. The wind was blowing hard and the Juliana’s hands were numb. She held the reigns while Heather sat in front of her. Heather was not a skilled horsewoman and neither was Nate but Juliana and their mother were the horse riders in the family.

Once they got to Market Juliana stopped Raven and the girls dismounted. Juliana led Raven to the public stable and the girls set off through the streets. There was a thin layer of snow on the ground in the center of town but the rest had been shoveled away to who-knew-where.

“Did Mama send you with a list”? Juliana asked her sister. “No. We have no list today”. “She just said to improvise”. “So that’s what we’ll do. Improvise” she finished.

“That is unlike Mama, I think” Juliana said cocking her head to one side as she said it. “Yes I think so too” Heather agreed. “Well I guess we should just get what we might need” Heather told her sister.

“Think” said Juliana “Mama is going away and we will be in the Masterson’s house. We won’t need food. We might need a few tools, some books, and cloth to sew with”. “That works” Heather agreed. “We should start with the General Store since that is the closest”.

So the sisters strode through the streets until they came to the General Store. “We can find books here and tools” said Juliana. “Pick out a few books and some tools that we might need and I’ll do the same. Then meet me outside the store” Juliana instructed. Without a word Heather and Juliana went in opposite directions through the store.

Juliana wandered through the aisles until she came to a bookshelf. Here she stopped and picked two books for her own reading and two books for teaching herself since they were home schooled and Mama wouldn’t be able to teach them while she was away so they would just have to teach themselves.

She wandered some more until she found some of the tools they might need. A potato peeler, a carrot peeler, and a cooking knife. Once she had found everything that she wanted she went to the counter. Mr. Goodman was nowhere in sight. But Jeremy was. She had grown rather fond of Jeremy. He seemed very nice. She tried to think of them as friends but she imagined them as being a little more than friends at times. She thought of him very often. But she kept that fact to herself.

“Good afternoon, Miss Juliana” he said as she approached the counter. “Good afternoon, Jeremy” she said politely with a slight curtsy. “It’s been a while” he said. “I know” she said. What are you thinking! Juliana thought. Is that the only thing you can say!

“What do you have today”? He asked patiently. “Oh”! She had almost forgotten. Juliana put all her items on the counter. He looked them over and started adding. Juliana had the same sensation come over her similar to what she felt at their first meeting.

He was smart, handsome, caring, and thoughtful. Everything anyone could want of him. “6.73” he said simply. “Okay” she said as she started fumbling for cash in her purse. “Um...uh...okay here you go” Juliana said handing him the money. “Thank you” he said. She looked at the counter where her items were and she found he had already put them in a bag for her. “Thank you, Jeremy” said she. “Hope to see you soon” Jeremy said. “Same to you” Juliana said.

As she left the store she grinned so happily that she felt she would burst.

When she opened the door she found Heather waiting for her as usual. “Do you have everything”? She asked impatiently. “Yes” Juliana answered. “What took you so long? I’ve been freezing out here”!

“I’m sorry”! Juliana exclaimed. “All right, all right” Heather said “Calm down. Let’s just get to the dressmakers quickly. The sooner we get out of this cold the better”.

The sisters didn’t talk; they just walked briskly through the cold, wet streets until they reached the dressmakers. When they walked in Mrs. Ilithede smiled and spoke cheerfully saying “What can I do for you lovely girls today”? “We need um...four yards of blue cloth” Heather said. “Okay dears; let me help you with that”. “Stay right there” she said, just before she disappeared into the back room. After a few moments of waiting, she came out again holding the blue cloth in a small bag. “Here you are girls”. “That’ll be 4.75 please”. “Heather searched her purse until she came up with the exact change and she handed it to the woman. “Thank you, Mrs. Ilithede” Juliana said politely. “Any time girls. See you next week”! She said cheerfully and then the sisters left the warm shop and stepped out into the cold winter air once more.

“I wish we could stay with Mrs. Ilithede,” Juliana complained as they walked through the snowy streets to the public stable. “Yes, well, the Masterson’s live closer to town so we won’t need to take Raven to get there” Heather pointed out.

“Yes, but I like to ride Raven” Juliana argued. She was whining now and Heather was tired of it. “Juliana”! Heather cried exasperated “can’t you stop complaining for five minutes”! “I’m so sorry” she whispered.

Heather had hurt her, she realized. Juliana turned away from her sister and looked at the passers-by near them. She felt alone. As if her whole world was falling apart. She didn’t want to leave the house, to move in with some stranger. She wanted Mama. She needed her. And she needed Papa as well.

Before she knew it, they were at the stable where Raven was situated. Heather mounted him first and Juliana was right behind her.

The Tussin girls rode off into the snow. The once green fields were a white wonderland. The wind had died down since they had set out. Soon they rode home and they showed Mama all the things they had bought.

“Lovely girls” Mama said. “Good thinking, too”. “Thank you, Mama” Juliana and Heather said in unison. “Well a nice cup of tea will do us all some good, I think” Margaret Tussin said. “I think you are right about that, Mama” Heather agreed. She shivered as if to prove her point.

Mrs. Tussin put a pot of water over the fire to boil. She bent to stir up the coals and after she straightened she said to Heather and Juliana “I’m going to miss you dears”. “I’ll tell your father how you’ve grown since he’s seen you” she said to Juliana. “And how many new skills you’ve acquired” she said nodding to Heather.

“I will keep word to you and write once a week”. “Tell us how Papa is doing” Juliana added before their mother continued. “I will and you should know it” she said. “I love you, my children” their mother said embracing them. “More than you will ever know”.

The next day Heather, Juliana and Nate were up extra early. They were preparing a big breakfast for their mother before she left for Richmond later that morning.

Juliana started cooking an omelet for Mrs. Tussin. Heather went to the hen house to collect the eggs and Nate went to the barn to milk the cow.

The girl rustled around the kitchen taking out wooden bowls, pots, spoons, spices, ingredients and other things needed. She was humming herself a lullaby her papa used to sing to her when her mother came softly down the stairs.

Mrs. Tussin awoke in her bed to find herself lying sideways across it. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and wrestled with the blanket for a time until she finally found an opening and rolled out of bed.

The mother yawned and using a glass of water, splashed it on her face to wake herself up more. Afterwards she dressed quickly so that she looked presentable and then tiptoed quietly down the stairs.

Juliana had started to make the omelet when Heather came in the door and stopped in the doorway. From the waist up she was covered in snow. Her cheeks were red and her lips were blue.

“Heather come in and get warm” said Juliana. “Why are you standing in the doorway”? Then Juliana followed Heathers eyes and found her mother standing at the foot of the stairs. “Mother”! Juliana cried. “When did you awake”? “A while ago” she answered.

Just then Nate came up behind Heather in the doorway with a pail of milk. Snow clung to his trousers and coat. He pushed Heather inside, shut the door and started to make breakfast. “Good Morning, Mother” Nate said over his shoulder. “Good Morning, Nate” she responded. Mrs. Tussin smiled. “And good morning, Juliana and Heather” she said. There was laughter in her eyes.

“Morning” the sisters mumbled in unison. “It was good of you three to get breakfast started. I have to leave in an hour in order to catch the nine o’clock train”. “Nate, I’ll have you come with me so that then you can ride the horse back home when the train leaves” Mrs. Tussin said.

The Tussin children worked silently, each in their own thoughts about what the next few weeks might be like. Soon, breakfast was made and divided.

“Girls,” Margaret said “after I leave I want you to clean the house, and make sure the animals are well fed. I’ve asked a neighbor to take care of them while you are gone. Once that is done take Raven and Butternut and ride to the Mastersons. Behave and take care” the mother warned.

“I love you, Mama” Juliana cried. “I love you too, my little Juliana. But I need to help your father. I need to be with him. No one does better nursing than a mother does”. “You of all people should know that” Margaret said with a laugh.

Juliana smiled faintly. Heather started talking then but Juliana couldn’t hear. She was too busy in her own thoughts.

I hope Father gets well. I can’t believe he could get sick. Well, he has no place to go. No place to stay. He’s probably running out of money. Oh! I do wish Papa had a job!

“Juliana”? “Juliana”? The girl came out of her thoughts. “Huh”? said Juliana. “Juliana, breakfast is over, time to clean up and say goodbye to Mama” Heather said. Juliana noticed that Mrs. Tussin was not in the room and Nate was gone.

“Did they leave”! She cried jumping up. “No”! Heather said. “Mama went to get her bags and Nate is saddling Raven”! “Juliana are you all right”? Heather asked, concern in her voice. “Yes” Juliana faltered. “Yes I’m fine”. She gathered the breakfast things left on the table and cleaned up the kitchen.

Heather and Juliana ran up the stairs to help their mother bring down all her bags and things she would need. As soon as the bags were brought down and Mrs. Tussin had her coat, hat, scarf, and shawl on, the mother and daughters embraced each other in a big hug.

Heather sobbed into her mother’s chest. “There, there” the mother said. “Come now, Heather, it will be okay”. But then Juliana started to cry. Mrs. Tussin just held her daughters until Nate came into the house. “The horse is saddled and we should be on our way if you want to make the nine o’clock train” he said.

“Very well” she said. “Goodbye girls” Margaret cried. “I love you all so much”!

“Send our good wishes to Father”! Heather called. “I will” Mrs. Tussin called. And then Nate and Margaret Tussin hurried out the door and into the snow.

“Well she’s gone and we might not see her again until 1858” Heather said sighing. She wiped the tears off her cheeks and started cleaning the house and packing everything she might need for staying at the Masterson’s.

Juliana did the same. Time passed quickly as she and Heather packed, not saying a word, each in her own thoughts. After what felt like no time at all, there was a loud knock on the door. “It is probably Nate” Juliana said. “I will go and let him in”. “Yes, please do” Heather said. “You are a faster packer than I and I need a little more time”. Juliana smiled and ran down the stairs.

Juliana opened the door and indeed it was Nate. But his face was red with cold and was stained with tears. “Nate are you all right”! Juliana exclaimed. “Yeah I’m fine” said Nate, rubbing his eyes. “Before I came in I fed all the animals and took care of them so they’re all set. Are you two all packed”?

“Yes” Juliana said shortly. “Good” Nate said and without a word he slipped by Juliana and ran up the stairs to get his bag. Juliana followed and when she entered the room, Heather said she was all ready.

“Okay then” Juliana responded. “I will ride Raven and you and Nate can ride Butternut”. “Why can’t Nate ride with you”? Heather demanded. “I have been riding longer than you have” Juliana said in a matter-of-fact tone. “You make a good point but...” Heather trailed off.

“Heather, please just do it. It will only be for a little while anyway. The ride is not very long to the Masterson’s house” Juliana pleaded.

“Okay” Heather said it as if accepting a punishment. So the girls ran down the stairs put on their hats coats and shawls that were hanging by the door and then Juliana mounted Raven who was waiting outside the door.

“Butternut is in the barn I think” Heather told her sister. “I will go and saddle her”.

It was a cold day; freezing to Juliana. The girl hugged herself to keep warm. There were little flurries flying about the air. Juliana looked about her and it seemed to her that she was the only person, alone, in a world of white and gray. Then she heard a soft click and turned towards the sound. She saw Nate closing the door softly.

Heather came out of the barn then leading a yellow and white horse with brown spots and mane. Nate mounted her and then Heather mounted behind him.

“Wait”, Juliana said. “Before we leave let’s take one last look at our house”. Her older siblings nodded their heads in agreement and so they all turned their heads to take one last look at their house. After a moment or two Nate finally said “Okay Juli we have to go” so Nate gave a cry and set off on Butternut.

Juliana hesitated a moment longer and then finally she got started on Raven and the family set off into the snow filled world.

It was cold. So very cold. The snow stung her face. The wind was a strong brave warrior that would stop at nothing to hurt her. Juliana and Raven rode on through the heavy snow. The girl could barely see what was in front of her. She could not make out her siblings and Butternut very well.

Soon Raven started to slow. “No, no, Raven you can’t stop now, we have to keep going” Juliana said through gritted teeth. She shivered. She had completely lost sight of Butternut now. Oh where are you? Juliana thought.

Nate kept Butternut moving at a steady pace. Heather had her arms around Nate so as not to lose her balance. She looked back behind her to check on Juliana only to see the wind blowing around and a white land of snow, but no Juliana.

“Nate”! Heather shouted above the wind. “Nate”! “I can’t see Juliana anymore”! He spun around then. “What”! He said as if he hadn’t heard her correctly. Heather saw him look beyond her into the thick whiteness. There was nothing. “Juliana”! he cried. “I don’t think we can go back and find her in this weather” Heather told him. “You’re probably right” Nate said, but their was a look of sorrow on his face. A silent tear slid down his face and froze on his cheek. “Come on Nate, we gotta keep moving if we want to make it before it gets darker” Heather said.

Without a word Nate spun back around and kept Butternut moving.

Juliana tried to keep Raven moving but he kept stopping with every few steps. “Raven, please, keep moving” Juliana coaxed. “You just have to keep moving so we can get out of the snow and nice and warm at the Masterson’s house”.

With that she kicked him hard and he reared up with anger and the girl fell back and into the snow. She gave a moan and stood back up and mounted Raven again and kicked his side again. This time he started walking through the heavy snow. It had started snowing much more than it had before.

It will be all right she thought. I’ll just go and find Heather and Nate and everything will be fine. And so she rode onward. Snow licked at her shawl. The wind had grown so strong that her bonnet blew off. “No”! Juliana cried. She reached out for it and almost fell to the ground. She reached out to grab Raven’s neck for support.

Juliana was shivering violently. She drew her shawl closer around her. Snow flakes landed in her bright hair. Her cheeks were red with cold. And still they rode on.

Heather didn’t know what to do. They had lost their sister forever. What if she died out here! The snow was so cold and it was snowing quite heavily now.

She moved her bonnet so that it covered her ears. “Nate” she said through gritted teeth. “Do you think Juliana is back there somewhere freezing to death”? “No, Heather, I’m sure she just had problems with the horse, she’ll be fine” Nate said. But she could tell by his voice that he did not believe it.

After an endless amount of time, they reached a point where they could see light, and then houses. It had grown dark and there were candles in all the windows. Nate rode Butternut up to a small brown house. There was a little barn to the side of the house and a field of grass surrounded it covered with a thick blanket of snow. There were dark woods behind it.

Nate dismounted Butternut and then helped Heather down as well. He stationed the horse in the barn with the Masterson’s horses and then he went with Heather and knocked on the front door.

The serving maid of before answered the door. “We, we need to see the mistress of the house” Heather stammered. “Come right this way” she responded and she showed them inside and closed the door behind them. The woman led them to the parlor where they found Mrs. Masterson working on her sewing.

“Oh Nate, Heather”! “You’re here”! She took in their appearance. “Good Heavens! Did you ride through that snow storm”? “Yes, Ma’am, we did” Nate responded.

“Oh here, come warm yourselves by the fire, you must be freezing”! So Heather and Nate walked over and sat by the hearth to warm themselves.

After a moment of thinking Sarah Masterson said “Isn’t there a supposed to be a third one”? “Umm, uh, Jane? Julie? Jasmine...” “Juliana, Ma’am” Heather said. “Right, Juliana. Where is she”?

“She’s still out there Ma’am” Nate said solemnly. “Oh dear! You must be joking”! She cried. “No, Ma’am we’re not joking” Heather said.

Juliana kept going with Raven through the snow. Her cheeks were red, her head hurt, her nose kept running, her lips were purple. And still she kept going. Snow clung to Raven’s fur. His nose kept twitching.

“We’re almost there, boy” “Just keep going” Juliana coaxed. The girl pulled on the reigns to stop the horse. Juliana dismounted to lead Raven by the reigns. The snow was up to her knees. Juliana could barely feel her toes in her boots. It was dark so dark and cold.

She didn’t know how long she led Raven through that storm, nor did she care. All she cared about was taking one step at a time to get through it.

After forever she finally started to see lights from some of the nearby houses. She knew what the Masterson’s house looked like; she had ridden by it many times before. Just then Juliana’s vision started to blur. She closed her eyes but then popped them open again.

“I can’t sleep now, not when I’m so close” Juliana said to herself. She kept walking bringing Raven close behind her. Candles in houses were what she saw. She looked closely and she finally saw the little brown house that was the Masterson’s house.

She led Raven to the barn and then went up to the door. She knocked quietly. A serving maid answered the door and without a word ushered her in. Juliana asked “Are my sister and brother here, do you know”? “Yes they are here, they are with the mistress” the woman said. “Come”.

She led her down a long hallway to the parlor and opened the door into a room of warmth and light. Juliana couldn’t see. She blinked a few times, rubbed her eyes and waited for them to adjust. And while she waited she heard “Juliana”! Shouted by Heather and Nate. She saw them move through the room towards her. The two of them swept her into a big hug. Nate twirled her around, and then set her back on her feet.

“Juliana are you okay”? She heard over and over by Heather, Nate and Mrs. Masterson. “Yeah, yeah” she mumbled. “I need to sit down”. All of a sudden the room felt dizzy. “Of course”! Mrs. Masterson cried. She was helped by Heather to the hearth and Heather brought her a pillow and she rested by the hearth.

Soup was brought for her and a blanket as well to keep her extra warm. And in spite of all the commotion, she fell fast into a dreamless sleep.

Juliana tossed and turned. She was so hot. She woke up suddenly to the smell of smoke. She looked over and the end of her hair was on fire. She started to scream and then stopped because she didn’t want to wake anyone. She ran to the window sill where a glass of water stood from last night. She dipped her hair in the water until it went out. “Just the tips, thank goodness” Juliana said sighing.

She was still in the parlor. Although now it was dark and empty. Juliana felt much better than she had last night. It was a miracle that she hadn’t gotten an illness. Juliana looked around the parlor and saw that her bag had been brought into the room for her.

The girl quickly dressed, and made herself presentable, she took up her bag and then, opening the door softly she tiptoed down the hall. Juliana quietly went up the stairs of the strange house and found where she was told her room was.

It was a small room, nice and clean. It suited her for her stay at the Masterson’s house because she did not need a large amount of space. Mama would be home soon and hopefully she would bring Father with her.

Juliana opened her small carpet bag and took out her calendar. She marked off another day. “16 days until Christmas” Juliana whispered to herself. She unpacked her bag. She did not bring much. Just the things she would need. Clothes, accessories, tools for taking care of Raven. Everything that she might need or want during her stay.

Juliana went down the stairway once more and found that Tim Masterson was awake and sitting in the living room, while a servant was cooking breakfast for the family and their guests in the kitchen. “Juliana, I presume” he said when she entered the room. “Yes, that’s what my name is” she responded. “Are you feeling better”? He inquired “Nate told me that you had gotten lost in the storm last night. What a horrible tragedy! I hope you have not caught cold”. “No, I’m perfectly fine. And very lucky too. It was so cold I probably could have died. I am lucky to have been spared” Juliana responded smoothly.

“Yes, well, I’m glad you three are staying with us”. “Yes, thank you for your family’s kindness. My family greatly appreciates it” Juliana replied.

Before either one could say another word, Nate entered the room. “Morning, Nate” Tim said cheerfully. “Morning” Nate mumbled in reply. “Good Morning” Juliana said. “Juliana! You should be resting”! “I’m so glad you’re awake” Nate cried, drawing his sister up in a hug.

“Yes, Nate, me too, now you’re crushing my lungs”! “Sorry” he mumbled. “But are you all right”? “Yes, Nate, I’m fine. I am very fortunate to have not gotten ill from the storm”. “You bet you were”. There was an awkward silence, each person in his or her own thought.

“Why don’t we have breakfast”? Tim suggested. “Yeah” the other two responded in unison. So with Tim Masterson in the lead the trio made their way through the house to the dining room.

The dining room had a beautiful mahogany table centered in the middle of the room, with 8 chairs around it to match. The Mastersons were very well off and had a beautiful house in general. But the dining room was the most gorgeous room she had seen so far. The furniture was extravagant. The walls had mosaics of a garden all over them. A chandelier hung from the ceiling with tons of candles. And on the floor was a beautiful rug with splendid, rich colors of reds, yellows, purples, oranges, and blues.

“It’s beautiful” Juliana breathed. Although, the two boys must not have heard her for they said nothing. At Tim’s request, breakfast was brought from the next room.

Just as they were about to say the Grace, there was a noise from the hall, and then Heather appeared in the doorway, followed by Mr. and Mrs. Masterson. “Oh, I see that you are already awake”! Sarah Masterson exclaimed. “Good Morning, Mother, Father, Miss Heather” Tim said. “We were just about to have breakfast”. “Good Morning,” Juliana and Nate said to the others in unison. “Morning everyone” George Masterson said.

After all the greetings were made, the masters of the house and Heather took places at the table. Mr. Masterson was at the head and Mrs. Masterson at the other end. Tim and Nate sat on one side and Juliana and Heather sat on the other leaving one chair vacant on either side.

There was the most decadent foods that Juliana had seen in a long time. Breakfast passed slowly. She didn’t hear much of it. She was to tired to think. Mr. Masterson said some things and then Tim and Nate responded to him and then Mrs. Masterson commented on Heathers necklace and then “Juliana are you all right”? Mr. Masterson asked. “Oh, oh yes, I’m fine” she responded quickly. “You’ve been awfully quiet” he continued. “Oh really, I’m quite all right, I’m just tired, I had a long day yesterday”.

“So I heard” he said. “Well maybe you should rest for a little while” George suggested. “If you will excuse me, I think I will” Juliana said. With a nod from Mr. Masterson, she excused herself and went quietly upstairs to lie down on her bed for a while.

The bed was right by the window overlooking the road below. There were a few cabins and houses across the road. It made Juliana miss her home already just looking at the quaint little cabins. She studied them, wondering what kind of things were happening in each one, when suddenly, there was a face in a window of one of the houses gazing back at her. She could not make out if she knew the person or not, but whomever the face belonged to, jumped back in surprise when - she supposed - they saw her.

Their gaze held for a few moments before the face disappeared again.

Queer Juliana thought. Very queer; I wonder who that was. Maybe they are looking for a place they belong, just like me.

After that Juliana lay down on top of her blankets and slept.

Heather tiptoed quietly up the stairs. A week had gone by since the Tussin children’s arrival. “Heather”! Whispered a voice behind her urgently. Heather spun around so quickly that she nearly fell off the stairs. It was Tim Masterson. “Heather what are you doing”? He asked, still whispering. Heather sighed, “Come here” she said. Tim obliged and she said “I’m going to get back at Nate because he has taken my pine needles that I have collected to put into a decoration for Father and Mother. So I shall go into his room and take his feathers that he has collected to make something for Father and Mother”.

“Yes and that solves everything, doesn’t it”? Tim said sarcastically. “But...” Heather started. Tim interrupted, “But I will help you to get your revenge on Nate because I do know that he can be quite a character sometimes”. “You have become a very wise young woman in knowing your brother this way, and also because you are very tactful in knowing how to get your revenge on him”.

“Thank you” she said. “Although,” Tim put in “you did miscalculate one tiny detail”. “What”! Heather exclaimed. “I mean what”? She whispered hurriedly.

He leaned in close to her ear and said “Nate is in his room at this exact moment”.

“What about me”? Came a voice from behind her. Heather spun around to find Nate staring at them. “I, I was wondering if you wanted to go to Market to help me pick out Christmas presents” Tim filled in, as Heather was utterly speechless.

“Oh, sure” Nate said. And he slipped by Heather down the stairs. “Meet me outside” Tim called after him. “I’ll be one moment; I just need to get my coat”!

Tim turned back to Heather. “You may take your revenge at any time now” he said, and turned and strode down the hall. “Thank you”! Heather called back.

So she ran up the rest of the stairs and into Nate’s room.

Heather rummaged through drawers in Nate’s desk. She searched in the bureau and then through Nate’s bag. And there it was. Wrapped in parchment in the bottom of his bag, were the feathers that he planned on using. “Yes”! Heather squealed excitedly. She clasped the parchment close to her and then grabbed her pine needles off his desk.

Heather then ran out of the room and into her own room to start making her decoration.

* * *

Tim and Nate walked through the frosty streets in the Market. “I shall buy a new tea set for Mother” Tim said, listing the gifts he was going to buy. “I’ll buy winter gloves for my father. He always says he needs new ones”. “What are you going to get your fiancé”? Nate asked. Tim stopped in his tracks. “Nicole”! He exclaimed. “I completely forgot about Nicole”!

“Well, what does she like”? Nate asked in a matter-of-fact tone of voice. “I believe she likes to sew” Tim said. “So get her a new sewing kit” Nate said. “Okay then”.

“And are you getting anything for your lady friend”? Tim asked mockingly. “Jen is not my ‘lady friend’” Nate stated. “I admit I am quite fond of her but she is not my ‘lady friend’”.

Jen Bronsley was the new school teacher that Nate had been chopping wood for earlier that fall. He did like her quite a bit

The two men made their way through the market, Tim buying the gifts that he wanted to give his family. He also, Nate noticed, picked up some other objects that he had not mentioned, at the General Store.

The two walked up to the counter. Working there were a young boy and an old man. “Please take those customers” the old man said to the boy, “I need to arrange these” he said pointing to some objects wrapped in paper.

“Good Day” said the boy. “Good Day” Tim and Nate said in unison. “Buying some books...paper...and quills”? He questioned. “Yes” Tim Masterson responded placing the objects on the counter. “That’ll be 8.61” the boy said. “All right, then” Tim said placing the money on the counter. The boy wrapped the items carefully and placed them in a bag. Nate studied him closely. Afterwards, the two men thanked him and left.

“Is that everything”? Nate asked. “Yes, I think that’s it” Tim said. So after a long day’s worth of shopping, the two walked quietly back to the Masterson home.

Juliana was in her room finishing her scarf for Father for her Christmas present to him when Heather burst in the room. “Juliana”! She cried. “I finished my wreaths” Heather said holding up two wreaths made of pine needles and yarn. “Wonderful” replied the younger sister. “I’ve almost finished my scarf for Father”. “There’s a few touches left to add but I’ve pretty much finished. And I made a necklace for Mother” Juliana held out her scarf and necklace for Heather to inspect. “They’re beautiful” Heather replied.

“Thank you”. “Now let me just finish these last few stitches and then we can send them to Mama and Papa at the post office” Juliana said.

“After we go to the post office I want you to meet someone” Heather said. “Who”? Juliana asked absentmindedly. “Someone very special to me” Heather said. “Tell me”! Juliana exclaimed. “I have to know”! Juliana got up from her desk with the finished scarf and necklace and wrapped them carefully in colored paper, and then she placed the gifts in a box. Afterwards, she closed the box; put the mailing address on it. Heather did the same with her gift.

“Okay let’s go” Heather said. The two girls bundled up in their coats and scarves and shawls and started for the post office. The snow was thick on the ground and the wind blew harshly. Mid-December was not the best time to be out.

“My hands are freezing” Heather complained. “My cheeks are freezing” Juliana said. She put her hands on her cheeks and rubbed them.

The girls trudged through the snow to the post office near the center of the Market. “Heather”? Juliana said after a long silence, “Do you think Mama and Papa will like our Christmas gifts”? “Of course, Juliana. I think they’ll be grateful for anything from us. They always have been and they always are” Heather responded, reassuringly. “Do you think the gifts will get to them in time”? Juliana questioned. “Because Christmas is in 9 days”. “I believe that the gifts will arrive in time” Heather said with a chuckle.

By that time the two girls had arrived by the post office. The sisters ran inside hurriedly. It was much warmer inside. There was a small space there. Heather took the gifts and dropped them inside a small pouch on the counter. There was no one to be seen. So the girls walked back outside into the cold.

“Now who are we going to see”? Juliana inquired of Heather once again. “A friend” Heather said simply. “Do they work somewhere in Market”? Juliana inquired. “Yes, he has been helping to build the new church” Heather answered. “Oh so it’s a ‘he’” Juliana said, realization crossed her face. “Oh no. You’re not bringing me to see... your boy friend, what’s his name? Umm...”. “Peter Sintaz” Heather supplied in a low voice, “my beau”.

“Your what”! Cried Juliana. “Beau”!

“Shh, Juliana, keep your voice down. Someone will hear you” Heather told her looking around cautiously.

“I thought you said he was almost your beau”? Juliana cried softly. “That was a few weeks ago” Heather whispered defensively. “Things change”.

By this time, the girls had reached the site where the foundation of the new church was being built. When the weather was good, the men would shovel away the snow on the ground and work on the church.

Heather walked up to a boy of about 15 with Juliana following closely behind her. Heather whispered a few things to him and they walked over behind a nearby stable. Juliana waited a few minutes before following. She figured that they were having their ‘together time’.

Sure enough when she finally looked behind the stable, Heather and Peter had their arms around each other. The pair kissed once, then twice. They were pressed close together and they seemed completely unaware of Juliana.

After a few moments Heather turned around and said “Juliana, I’d like you to meet, Peter. Peter, I’d like you to meet my sister, Juliana”. “Hello” Juliana said in a small but firm voice. “It’s a pleasure to meet you at last, Juliana Tussin” the boy said in a friendly, strong voice. “Heather has told me so much about you”. “Has she now”? Juliana asked a little questionably.

She looked at Heather who had a smug, little grin on her face. She bit her lip and then said “Nothing bad, Juliana, nothing bad about you”. Peter laughed and Heather laughed with him. “Well, I’ll go,” Juliana said awkwardly “I won’t interrupt your time together”. And with that Juliana strode back around the stable and walked through the snowy streets.

***

Juliana felt awkward and alone. Heather had a beau. She couldn’t believe it! Heather was fourteen and she already had a beau. Juliana wondered when she would get a beau.

Who will it be? Juliana wondered. What will he be like? She thought about Jeremy. Would he be my first beau? What do I like about him? Well, he’s smart, handsome, nice, thoughtful, fun.

Juliana Tussin walked slowly through the Market. She shivered moderately and stopped in her tracks. The sky was gray and dark, the wind blew fiercely. Juliana went all across the Market. She didn’t know where she was going; her feet moved and the rest of her followed.

After quite a long time, Juliana finally tired to an extent where she had to sit down and rest. She didn’t want to go back to the Masterson’s house. Not yet. Juliana searched to find a dry place to sit. She finally spotted the front step outside of the General Store and she sat down.

The Tussin girl held her head in her hand and closed her eyes. The wind whipped her long hair this way and that. Snow stung her already cold face. Juliana drew her shawl tighter around her.

Suddenly she felt warmth on the left half of her face and there was a weight on her shoulder. She lifted her head up immediately. There was a figure next to her. It took her eyes a second to adjust. She blinked and then she saw Jeremy.

Oh how handsome he looked! His beautiful bronze colored eyes stared into hers with concern written in them.

“Why, Juliana, are you all right”? He asked her. “Oh, yes, yes, I’m fine” the girl answered, shivering slightly. “If you don’t mind my asking, what are you doing on the step of the store? Are you waiting for someone”? “Oh, no Jeremy, I’m uh, catching my breath is all. I’ve been out all afternoon and I’ve had a long day. I’ll be on my way in a few minutes” Juliana explained. “You can get back to work”.

“As a matter of fact, Juliana” said Jeremy “I’m almost ready to finish up for the day. I can spare a few minutes. I don’t mind staying out here with you. You can stay as long as you like”.

“Thank you, that’s very kind of you” the girl responded simply. There was a silence between the two thirteen year olds.

“It was nice to catch you alone” Jeremy stated “because I wanted to tell you_”. “Jeremy”! Someone called. “Jeremy Heltsern”! Jeremy turned away to try and find the source of the voice. “Jeremy”! Mr. Goodman appeared in the General Store doorway. “Mr. Heltsern, I need you to help me with a...” he gave a sideways look at Juliana. “An, um, important matter concerning the new items that were delivered here today” said Mr. Goodman.

Jeremy stood up and Juliana did the same. “Please excuse me, Miss Juliana, but I should go. I hope you have a peaceful evening” he said. And with that Mr. Goodman and Jeremy disappeared into the store, leaving Juliana standing alone.

Once again, Juliana continued on through the Market until she finally reached the warm Masterson house where she would spend the rest of the day alone.

There was a knock on Juliana’s door. She rolled over in her bed in time to see the door pop open a crack. It was Nate. “Nate, what do you want”? Juliana moaned; she rubbed her eyes to try and adjust them to the darkness. “What time is it anyways”?

“No time for that now, Juli” Nate whispered. He ran over to her bed and kneeled down so that he looked his sister in the eye. “Juli, Heather is sick” Nate stated solemnly. “What”! Juliana cried too loudly. “Nate, what are you talking about? Eatha was fine just yesterday”!

“The cold weather must have got to her or something”. “Wait” said Juliana “How do you know she is sick? Shouldn’t you and Heather both be asleep”? “I know” Nate started “Because while I was sleeping, Heather came into my room, she had me wake up and she told me she didn’t feel too well and then she fainted”.

“She what”! Juliana cried in astonishment. “You heard what I said. Now come help me wake her quick”! Nate said and with that, he ran out the door.

Without a second thought, Juliana jumped out of bed, put on a day dress over her nightgown, and ran into Nate’s room.

Nate had lit a candle. Heather was lying on Nate’s bed with Nate standing over her. He felt her forehead. “She has a fever. Her head is warm” Nate told Juliana. “Juli, run and get a wet cloth, quick! I’ll wake up Mrs. Masterson and the maid”.

Juliana ran out of the room and down the stairs. She went into the kitchen and grabbed a cloth from a nail on the wall and she found a bucket of water on the table in the sink. Juliana dunked the cloth into the bucket of water and soaked it thoroughly. Then she brought the dripping cloth back upstairs and placed it on her unconscious sister’s forehead.

After a few moment’s, Nate was in the room again. Behind him, Mrs. Masterson and Eve, the maid entered the room. Mrs. Masterson’s mouth hung open as she gaped at Heather.

“How did this happen”? The maid asked, as the mistress of the house was utterly speechless. Nate explained the situation and how Heather had come to be like this. Afterward Eve said “We must get her liquids. She must drink much water. And when she comes to we should give her soup. Soup will help her get strong. But we must awaken her before anything else”.

Quickly, Nate ran down the stairs and out the door to the nearby well. As he collected buckets of water, Juliana prepared soup in the kitchen, while Eve and Mrs. Masterson tried other tactics to awaken Heather.

Nate ran back up the stairs to his room and Sarah Masterson took a bucket of water from him and poured all the cold water on Heather. Heather sat up in bed immediately and cried out in panic. “What happened”! She groaned. “What’s going on”? Heather laid back down and closed her eyes.

“Eatha you fainted” Nate said softly. “Are you feeling okay? You have a fever, I think” her brother continued. She coughed roughly for a few minutes before answering. “I feel faint”. “If I get some water and rest I’m sure that I’ll be fine” said Heather softly.

“We shall let you rest indeed, Heather” said Sarah Masterson sweetly. “Eve, watch over her. Help Heather with whatever she may need. Try and keep her fever down and get her soup and water. Keep her warm and try and find something to help with her cough” ordered Mrs. Masterson. “Yes Ma’am, of course, anything” Eve responded.

Juliana appeared in the doorway then, with a steaming bowl of soup in her hands. “Oh right here, if you please” the maid told her, pointing to a nearby table. Juliana obliged and set it down.

“Oh, it is late and I am tired. We should all get to bed” Mrs. Masterson told the group. They all agreed and sleeping arrangements were made to acquire the needs of Heather.

Mrs. Masterson would go to her room with her husband. Juliana and Nate would share Juliana’s room and Nate would sleep on a mattress on the floor. Eve would sleep on a mattress in Nate’s room where Heather would stay and Eve would take care of her.

And so with that, the group dispersed and went to bed.

As Juliana was in bed she said “Nate do you think Heather is going to be okay”? “I’m sure she’ll be fine, Juli” Nate said reassuringly. “Do you think she has the flu”? “I’m positive she has the flu” Nate said. “She’s had it before so I’m not too worried”.

“I am” Juliana said sleepily. She yawned. “Do you think we should send for a doctor”? She asked. “The closest doctor is in Newburyport and I don’t think he would be able to get here for many days. We’ll just have to take care of her” Nate said.

“C’mon Juli, it’s late. Try to get some sleep” suggested Nate. He rolled over on his mattress so he faced the wall. Juliana rolled over in her bed so she faced the window.

She looked out at the dark sky and looked at the moon. It was full. Beautiful light shined from it. So beautiful in the dark. She looked at the house across the way. She could see a candle in one window. Juliana stared at it trying to sleep. Just then, she noticed the curtain move to the side. A young face stared through the opposite window into the same darkness she was looking at.

Juliana studied the face. She could not seem to see who it was. The eyebrows raised when-she supposed- they saw her again. Did they recognize her? Did the person know her?

Juliana propped herself up. The person, it looked like, tried to mouth something to her. She could not figure out what they were trying to say. Then, she suddenly realized. JULIANA. That was what the person had mouthed. She nodded. The person’s face disappeared.

Just then, a wave of exhaust overtook her and in a moment Juliana was in a deep sleep.

It was about 10:00 when Juliana awoke the next morning. She yawned and stretched and climbed out of her bed. She looked over to the floor where Nate was snoring loudly, still sleeping.

Juliana climbed over him and tip toed across the hall and into Nate’s room. She found Eve sleeping in a chair next to Heather’s bed. Poor Eve must have fallen asleep there thought Juliana. Juliana draped a blanket over her. Then Juliana went over to Heather. She laid a hand over her forehead. Her fever had gone down quite a bit. Thank God!

Juliana came back to the hallway and closed the door behind her. She then proceeded down the stairs and into the living room. This was where the Christmas tree was placed. The Christmas tree’s candles were not lighted until noon and they were lit until supper time. The room smelled of sweet pine.

Two hours later the Masterson and Tussin families were gathered together in the parlor to talk about Christmas and the proceedings that were to take place around the Holiday.

“The way we usually do things at Christmas time” began George Masterson “we put wrapped presents under the Christmas tree, on Christmas Eve. And then on Christmas morning, we wait until everyone is awake and then we all gather in the living room. Sarah and I will get tea going while you kids distribute presents to everyone” Mr. Masterson explained.

“That is similar to the way we usually have our Christmas at home, Mr. Masterson” Nate acknowledged. Juliana nodded. “What about Heather”? Juliana inquired. “Do you think she will be well enough to partake in the Christmas festivities”? “I believe she should be well enough by Christmas morning” Tim said. “I certainly hope so” Sarah Masterson stated. “She should well in about a week anyways”.

“Oh I forgot to mention” said Mr. Masterson “we are hosting a Christmas party here on Saturday”. “The three of you and Heather, may invite one person if you choose to” he said glaring at his son.

“Father, Nicole and I shall be married on New Years Day” Tim stated. Mr. Masterson gasped. Sarah put a hand to her mouth in surprise. “So soon”? Mr. Masterson faltered. “Of course, Father, I’ve told you for months now”. “It...it completely slipped my mind. With all the shopping to be done and at work I’ve needed to do so much work on houses lately that I...”. “We shall... make haste in getting preparations done so that our Timothy can have a splendid wedding” Mrs. Masterson filled in now.

“What did you get her for the holiday”? Juliana asked Tim, ending the silence. “You’ll love this” he said. “I got her her wedding gown and a new book”. “She loves reading in her free time”.

“You will be inviting Nicole to our Christmas party, correct”? Sarah asked. “Of, course, Mother” her son replied. “Who will you bring, Nate”? Mr. Masterson asked. “Um....Miss Bronsley, the school teacher” he said after a minute. “Ooohh”! Juliana squealed excitedly. “Quiet you”! He snapped. His face was red. Tim tried, unsuccessfully, to hide a satisfied grin.

“And you, Juliana”? “Oh! I have no idea. I probably won’t bring anyone”. She immediately thought of Jeremy. We get along well. But she decided against it. I may have a crush on him but he probably doesn’t care for me. And even if he does, what would he think if I invited him to a party. No! It cannot happen.

The family and friends sat in silence. “Well, I should check on Heather” Nate said finally. “I’ll come too”! Juliana piped up. “I shall see her as well” Tim added. And so, after excusing themselves, the three marched up the stairs.

When Tim, Juliana, and Nate entered Heather’s room, Heather was sitting up in bed, sipping broth. “Good morning, Heather” Tim greeted her politely. Heather set down her broth. “Good morning, Tim” she responded.

“Heather”! Juliana cried. She ran up to the bed and hugged her sister. Then she stepped back as Heather started coughing. “Sorry” Juliana said sheepishly shying away.

“How are you feeling”? Nate questioned. “A little better” Heather replied with a shaky laugh. “Do you believe you will be well by Christmas”? “Of course”. “Do you believe you will be well enough by Saturday”? “Saturday? What is important about Saturday”? Heather inquired.

“There’s a Christmas party”! Juliana cried. “What do you mean”? Heather asked. “We are hosting a party at our house in four days” Tim answered. “You may invite a friend if you like”. “We send out invitations this afternoon”.

“Oh how exciting”! “Well, we should let you rest” Nate said. “You will need your strength”. And so, the three went out of the room, down the hall and into Timothy Masterson’s room.

Tim’s room was plain although fairly large. There was a rug spread out on the floor, depicting two angels. The bed was placed in one corner of the room. There was a desk against one side of the wall and a book shelf and bureau near the other.

Tim sat down at his desk, Juliana and Nate pulled up chairs next to him. “Okay,” he said looking at both of them. “Mother and Father gave me a list of who to invite. It is up to us to write the invitations. Here is the list”. Tim Masterson pulled a long list out of a notebook and placed it so that all three could read it. It read:

Mr. Daniel Tinkara

Cameron Tinkara

Mr. Louis Chingle

Mrs. Lois Chingle

Nicole Chingle

Mr. Thomas Heltsern

Mrs. Mary Heltsern

Jeremy Heltsern

Maggie Heltsern

Mr. Andrew Ilithede

Mrs. Elizabeth Ilithede

Kate Ilithede

“Is there anyone you two would like to add”? Tim grinned excitedly, already knowing that Nate was going to invite Jen Bronsley. He added ‘Miss Bronsley’ to the list. “How about you, Juliana”? He asked. “Me? Oh uh, the person I was going to invite is already on the list. “Who is it”? Tim asked wonderingly. “Uh, I’d rather not say” Juliana said, shying away a bit. “Oh c’mon! Tell us”!

“Maybe I should go see if Heather wants to invite someone” Juliana suggested. And without an answer she ran out of the room.

Juliana knocked at the door. She heard the soft voice of Heather say “Come in”. Juliana pushed open the door. “Heather,” she said quietly. “You are allowed to invite one person to the party. We were wondering who you would like to invite”. “Juliana, come closer” Heather said.

The sister obliged and knelt by the bed. “Do you think that anyone would become suspicious if I invited Peter”? She asked. Juliana looked into her eyes. They were full of care and concern. “No one is supposed to know” she said.

Juliana paused. She was in thought for a long time. Then she nodded and spoke slowly, choosing her words carefully. “I do believe that it would be okay if you invited him” she answered. “Oh good”! Heather exclaimed. “I do so want to see him again”!

“Okay then” Juliana said. “Get some rest now Heather”. And with that, she closed the door and went down the hall, back into Tim’s room.

“Juliana! Well, who does Heather wish to come”? Tim questioned. “A person by the name of Peter Sintaz” Juliana responded.

“Peter Sintaz” Nate said slowly. “I believe I know him. Wasn’t he the boy helping to build the new church, when your father was working on it” Nate asked turning to Tim. “I think you’re right Nate. But why in the world would Heather want to invite him”?

Both the young men turned to Juliana. Juliana’s face turned bright red. “Don’t look at me”! She cried. She was worried that Nate and Tim would force the answer out of her somehow. “I didn’t ask Heather any questions about this guy. I just took her answer and came straight back here”.

“You seemed to be gone a lot longer than just getting her answer and coming back” Nate said stepping closer. Juliana took a step back. “So I talked a little with my sister. There is no significance in that” Juliana said nervously. Looking down she realized she was twisting the corner of her apron into a knot. She took another step and was backed into the corner.

“So, you admit to talking with her” Tim said in an interrogating tone. He also stood up. He looked at Nate and then back to Juliana. “Well, she didn’t tell me anything just now” Juliana cried defensively.

“Could that mean that she told you something about Peter Sintaz before”? Nate questioned in a fake tone. “You may be right, Nate” Tim said in the same fakeness of tone.

Juliana was nervous. I can not, will not tell Heather’s secret! Juliana thought. “Heather told me about her and Peter Sintaz meeting before, but that’s all I’ll tell”! She cried and she rushed out of the room.

Juliana Tussin ran down the stairs and outside into the snow. It was snowing out and she was freezing but she didn’t care. All she knew was that she would not go back inside for a while and she would not tell her brother or Tim anything. Juliana did, however, go back, just inside the doorway, to grab her coat and shawl and then she ran back outside again. She started walking. She felt like she needed to go for a walk although she knew not where. Juliana started running through the snow. She headed back towards the edge of town to the fields near her home. The wind howled around her as she made her way through the deep snow.

Her good day was gone. She was in a sour, lonesome mood. Juliana pulled her shawl tighter around her. “Father Almighty, help me” Juliana pleaded.

She kept walking. Soon it grew dark. She was lost now. Not knowing which was back to the Masterson house. Her footsteps were nearly covered and no houses were to be seen. She was probably in a field somewhere. She sat down right where she was and looked into the snow around her. She knew not how long she sat there thinking.

Then suddenly, after a long time she heard a voice creep into her thoughts. “Juliana”! Called the voice. “Juliana where are you”? It said again. “Juliana are you out here! Come back”! It cried.

She stirred about. Which direction was the voice coming from? She wondered. She could see nothing but snow. Snow drifting from the sky, blowing from the trees, falling to the ground, lightly. “I’m here!” Juliana called. Her voice was lost in the howl of the wind. “I’m here”!

“Why did she rush out like that”? Tim asked, turning to Nate. “We probably intimidated her” Nate said. “She’s three years younger”! Tim cried. “That’s not a big difference!” “Well, we were a little demanding” Nate said. He started for the door. “Well, c’mon! We better go find her”! And with that, Nate Tussin and Tim Masterson left the room.

Downstairs, Tim looked out the kitchen window. “It’s really snowing out there. It’s developing into quite a storm. Do you really think she would be that dim witted as to go out in a storm like that”?

“Well,” Nate began. “If I know my sister, and I do, she would, with no doubt, go out into something like that if she was as upset as I took her to be”.

Nate put on his coat, hat, scarf, boots, and gloves. Tim did the same, making sure to keep warm.

First the two young men went out to the stable but with one step; they realized the snow as too deep to travel by horse. “We’ll just have to go on foot” Nate said. “If Juliana could do it, we can do it”. And with that the men set off.

The wind screamed around them. “There”! Tim pointed. Faint footsteps in the snow were able to be seen. “Those have to be hers”! He shouted to his colleague. Nate nodded. For what felt like hours, the two traveled on in silence.

After about an hour, the footsteps started to fade. The night was starting to dawn. “What should we do”! Nate called to Tim over the wind. “Keep going straight”! Tim suggested. “That’s probably the best way to go. We’ve got to be close now”.

It was truly nighttime now and the two comrades could hardly see in front of them. “Juliana”! Nate called desperately. “Juliana”! He cried exasperated. “Where are you”!

“Juliana are you out here”! Tim shouted above the wind. “Come back”! Nate cried.

Nate Tussin fainted from exhaust and cold. “Nate”! Tim cried as he knelt down in the snow. “Nate! Come on, pal! Stay with me Nate, stay with me”!

***

Juliana stood up and ran back to where she thought she heard the voices come. It was completely dark now. After a while heading in that direction, she came upon a figure knelt in the snow over. The figure turned. “Oh Juliana”! He cried. He leapt at her and hugged her around the knees. She fell down on top of him with a thud. “Oh Juliana! You’re alive”! He kissed her on the cheek. Her cheeks burned in embarrassment. It was Tim.

Then he turned to another figure, one she had not noticed. Juliana moved to see who it was. When she saw the face she gasped and fell over backward into the snow. It was Nate.

“Tim” she whispered her voice cracking. “He passed out” he explained. “I think he’s going to be all right. But Juliana, are you okay”? “Y...yes, I’m fine, Tim”. “Come, we must get Nate to the nearest house at once. “You are right” She agreed, nodding. “Your house is too far away”.

“Do you think you can carry him”? Tim asked. “I believe so” Juliana said, her teeth chattering. On the count of three, the two teen’s picked up Nate Tussin and started to walk back through the heavy snow.

After about half an hour, the two started to slow. They came to a house with a candle burning in three windows. “Good, a house at last”! Tim cried with excitement.

Juliana looked up at his face. His lips were blue, his usual neat brown hair was a mess and all over his face. His cheeks were bright red and his teeth were chattering.

Juliana Tussin and Tim Masterson carried Nate over to the front door and knocked on the door as best they could without dropping Nate into the snow.

After a minute the door was opened by Jen Bronsley.

Juliana was taken aback. Jen took in the scene. Here is what she saw:

A young man of about sixteen years and a young girl of about fourteen years carrying either end of another young man about sixteen years old. Looking closer she realized it was Nate Tussin. He had chopped wood for the schoolhouse this winter. And he was unconscious!

“What on earth has happened”! She cried in astonishment. “There is no time to explain now, Miss Bronsley” Tim explained, his teeth chattering again. He blushed in embarrassment. “May we come in”?

“Oh! But of course! Come in quickly”!

Juliana went first, backing into the house. Jen slowly led her in the right direction to the family room. Juliana and Tim worked their way through the house until they were able to make it to the warm family room. They placed Nate carefully on the couch.

“Go warm yourselves by the fire” Jen Bronsley said gesturing to the hearth. Without hesitation, Juliana and Tim walked over and sat on the floor in front of the fire.

Behind them, Jen sat on the couch by Nate’s head, stroking his hair. He is so handsome! Jen Bronsley thought to herself. Nate Tussin is the most remarkable, extraordinary man I’ve known in a long time.

Tim turned around. “Thank you Miss Bronsley for helping us” he said. She looked up startled. “Oh, it is my pleasure” Jen nodded. “Now, pray tell, what were you three doing out in the storm”?

Juliana turned around after getting herself mostly warm. “Well,” she said “it all started when we were deciding who each of us wanted to invite to the Masterson’s Christmas party. Each of us was allowed to invite one person. And my sister, Heather, is ill, so I went into her room to ask her who she wished to invite, because Nate, Tim, and I were making the invitations. So I went back into the room to tell them who she wanted to invite and they started pestering me about why in the world she wanted to invite Peter Sintaz”!

“Tim”! Jen exclaimed. “That sounds just like you, pestering a girl”! Tim Masterson gave her an I was just trying to have a little fun! look. “I’m not a girl”! Juliana piped up into the silence. “I am almost fourteen”! “Oh dear, I’m sorry” Miss Bronsley said.

“That is fine” Juliana said. “So, to continue with my story, because they were pestering me so, I grew angry and I ran outside. I ran as far as I could. I wasn’t thinking. And then after hours of being out in the snow and cold, I thought I heard someone calling me. I went in the direction that I thought the voice was coming from and I found Tim kneeling over an unconscious Nate. So then we carried Nate to the nearest house and ended up here” Juliana finished happily.

“May I ask, how did Nate pass out”? Jen Bronsley inquired.

“I can answer that”! Tim said. “See, Nate and I went looking for Juliana. As she said, we grew desperate and started calling for her. But just then, he fainted, probably because of the cold or exhaust”.

“Oh my! That is awful”! Jen exclaimed. “It is indeed” Juliana agreed, solemnly.

Suddenly, Nate Tussin began to stir. He moaned and rubbed his head. Jen Bronsley slid over to the end of the couch, blushing intensely. Nate opened his eyes and looked around. “Where in the world am I? Where is Tim”? He groaned. “I’m here, Nate. We’re all here” Tim said.

Nate Tussin rolled over and saw Tim and Juliana in front of a fire. “Oh! Tim, Juli”! He cried. Tim Masterson gave a quick glance at Jen to try and get Nate to notice her.

Nate sat up on the couch and looked around the room. Then he saw her. He could have sworn his heart had stopped when he saw Jen Bronsley sitting on the other end of the couch.

“Je...uh...Miss Bronsley,” Nate said, fumbling for words. “Are you my rescuer”? He joked shakily, blushing immensely. “You could say that” she said, giving him a shy smile. “But it was Tim and your sister, who got you here” she added.

“I am greatly obliged to you” he said, nodding to Tim and Juliana. “All of you” he added looking over at Jen.

“How are you feeling, Nate”? Juliana asked, crossing the room and going to her brother. “My head is spinning” he said. “How did I get here, to Miss Bronsley’s house, anyways”? “It’s a long story” Juliana responded, “Which we will save for another day”. Juliana smiled then, a beautiful, bright smile. Her smile was made by her love and thankfulness to be alive and well, and nothing other than that could have made her produce a smile as the one she showed her brother. Nate laid his head back against the cushions of the couch.

“Nate, Tim, Juliana, let me get you some tea” Jen Bronsley said. “Lie down here” she said, getting up off the couch. “Juliana would you accompany me to the kitchen, please” Miss Bronsley asked. “Of course” Juliana replied, and so the young women left the room, leaving Nate and Tim alone.

“I can’t believe that you brought me to her house”! Nate hissed. Tim Masterson stepped closer to the couch and kneeled down beside his friend. “You had passed out and the storm had gotten worse! We needed to get to safety as quickly as we could”! Tim whispered, defensively.

Nate mumbled something, incoherently and closed his eyes. Tim rolled his eyes, went and sat back by the fire.

***

In the kitchen, Jen and Juliana talked quietly, so that the young men in the other room would not hear. “Do you think that your brother will be all right”? Jen asked with a concerned look on her face. “Of course”! Juliana stated confidently. “He has some, minor temperature problems. Too much cold for too long gets him in bad shape. But he should be fine. I wouldn’t worry”.

“Nate is very bold” Jen commented, trying to sound casual. “Well, of course! He’s always been a daring sort” Juliana said. “You say that you are all allowed to invite one person to the Masterson’s Christmas party...” Jen started. “Yes, I did say that” Juliana answered absent mindedly. “Who are you going to invite”? She asked. “Oh, uh...me”? Juliana faltered, coloring slightly. “Well, I, well uh, you wouldn’t know him...” she said desperately trying to conceal her secret. “Oh really, try me”! Miss Bronsley challenged. “Well, I was going to invite, uh, the, uh Heltsern’s” she said, trying not to give specifics. “I thought you said only one person”? Jen said slyly. “Yes, well,” she took a big breath and whispered in her ear “Jeremy Heltsern”.

“That isn’t bad”! Jen said, smiling. “Do you like him”? She asked much more quietly, so that Juliana could barely hear her. Juliana colored intensely, “I, I don’t know...I mean I might...I uh...”. Juliana shrugged hopelessly. “I see” Jen said stepping away to set the kettle.

“So, who is Tim inviting, that old sly dog”! Jen queried. “I believe he is inviting his fiancé, Nicole Chingle, and her parents” Juliana answered, relieved to change the subject. “Is that so? And who is your brother going to invite? Has he decided yet”?

What do I say to that? Juliana thought. Nate wants to invite Miss Bronsley very much, but how would he feel if he found out I told her? “I believe, Miss Bronsley, that Nate would like it to be a surprise. Who he invites, I mean. He did not wish for me and Tim to tell anyone”. “I see” she said again, with a sly smile.

By this time the tea was nearly ready. Miss Bronsley set to work on the tea while Juliana prepared some biscuits. When everything was done, the young women brought everything in on a tray. Jen Bronsley set the tray down on the table by the hearth. She glanced over at Nate who was lying down on the couch, eyes closed, hair a mess. She sighed, delightedly. Juliana, who was heading over to sit with Tim, spun around. She saw Jen staring dreamy-eyed at Nate.

Oh God! Juliana thought. I do believe they’re in love! Oh my! I cannot believe it! The way she looks at him, you’d think he was an angel sent from Heaven! Juliana sighed hopelessly. Everyone was falling in love but her. She supposed that she might ‘love’ Jeremy Heltsern, but it wasn’t a marriage kind of love. A childish love that one goes through at the early stages of adolescence.

Juliana sat down next to Tim who was still warming by the fireplace. Jen Bronsley poured the tea into four cups and handed out the tea cups and biscuits to everyone. Tim and Juliana turned so that they had their backs to the fire and faced Nate, who was now sitting up on the couch, and Jen.

“Thank you Miss Bronsley” Nate said, sipping his tea. “Yes, thank you” Tim added hastily. “You’re very welcome” Jen said. “But you must also thank Juliana, she helped”. “Thanks Juli” Nate said, taking a bite of biscuit. Tim nodded to her. Juliana nodded in appreciation. The four feasted on the food and drink in silence.

After a while, Timothy Masterson got up, went to the window, and moved the drape aside. “The storm doesn’t look too bad” he said. “Oh! But it is so dark out”! Jen exclaimed. “Surely you must spend the night! And it is so late! Nearly ten o’clock”! “My parents will be worried” Tim said. “There is no way to contact them”. “We’ve a servant that is trained to deliver messages in any kind of weather” Miss Bronsley stated. “He will send word to your parents”. “Then it is settled. We will stay the night” Tim agreed.

“Although you must be careful how you go about” Jen said. “My parents must not know that there is anyone here or they shall be furious. Even if it is for a good cause, my parents are uh... strict, I suppose. For sleeping arrangements, there are two spare mattresses in the servant’s quarters. Two of you shall have to share a mattress”. “That shall prove a problem” Tim stated.

“Yes. The way I see it we have a few possibilities” Juliana said. “Either: Nate and Tim could share a mattress, or one of us could make a makeshift bed on the floor. I would be willing to sleep on a makeshift bed because my bed in my house is not much better than a makeshift anyway”. “That would work” Nate agreed. “Have you any spare quilts”? Juliana questioned of Miss Bronsley.

“Yes I have three spare quilts, so each of you can get one” Jen responded. “But you must all be very quiet. My parents are asleep now. The tricky thing in the morning will be getting you out of here without my parents noticing. You cannot go out of the servant’s quarters until I come down. Is that understood”? Juliana, Nate and Tim all nodded their understanding.

So, quietly, the four young adults set up the mattresses and the makeshift bed. Jen went upstairs to her room and the three got comfortable in the small room. Juliana curled herself up in a ball and wrapped the blankets close around her and very soon, a heavy sleep overcame her.

Juliana woke up with a start, sitting up in her makeshift bed. She looked around her in the darkness, unsure of where she was. She laid back down in her bed again, trying to remember. After a moment, it all came back to her. She was in the servant’s quarters in the Bronsley’s house.

The girl yawned and tried to get comfortable again. Juliana listened to Nate’s soft snoring. It was rather soothing actually, she thought. Juliana wrapped herself even more tightly in the quilt, trying to keep warm. The fire in the hearth had nearly gone out. She listened to the wind howling wildly outside, Nate’s soft snoring, and Tim’s heavy breathing, and was soon carried off by sleep.

In the morning, when Juliana woke, there was light streaming in from the one window. Juliana looked around her. She was on the floor, facing sideways so that her head was right next to the little dressing table next to one of the servants’ beds. She sat up groggily and crawled over next to the mattress that her brother slept on.

“Nate” she whispered, barely making a sound. “Are you awake”? Nate’s eyes flared open with a start. He barely kept from screaming when he woke up to see his younger sister leaning over him. “Juliana”! Nate whispered urgently. “What are you doing? Wh...What time is it? Where are we”? He looked about the room. “Miss Bronsley! We’re in the Bronsley’s house”! “Yes Nate. Oh! Do be quiet, someone may here you. Listen, you wake up Tim, I’m going to go see if anyone is out there”.

“Juliana wait! Jen...uh...Miss Bronsley warned us not to go out there and that she would get us when the coast was clear”. “I am not going to go out there” Juliana insisted, “I’ll just open the door a little crack”. And without another word Juliana walked over to the door and knelt on the floor.

With Nate watching, she carefully reached up and turned the knob as quietly as she could. The door squeaked open and she gasped. Juliana got up and ran behind a bed to be out of sight. When she heard no sound, she slowly tiptoed over to the door again and peered out the small crack.

She could hear faint voices coming from what was probably the dining area. She saw no one in any of the rooms she could see. She could catch sight of the kitchen, the family room, and for that matter, the front door. All they had to do was go through the kitchen, through the family room, out the door and through the snow! It was perfect!

It wasn’t that she didn’t like being here. She did. It’s just that she disliked being here in secret. She felt like an escaped convict and when that thought creeped into her mind, her cheeks colored slightly.

Juliana headed back over to Nate and Tim, who was now awake, but as she reached them, she heard a voice float over through the open door. HIDE! Juliana mouthed to the others. Nate ducked under a bed, Tim hid behind a dresser, and Juliana having nowhere left, stood in a somewhat darkened corner, praying to God that she would not be caught.

Soon there were about two more voices mixed in with the first one heard and here is what the three hidden adolescent’s heard:

“Well, that was a hearty breakfast, wasn’t it dear”? “Yes, Papa, it was wonderful, thank you Mama”. “Anything for my little girl”. “Mama, I do not mean to criticize or contradict, but I am not as little as I used to be. I am nearly seventeen years old and I shall be marrying soon”. “I assure you, Jen you will be married before your eighteenth birthday. And I got a few young lads in mind for ‘ya.” “Papa, what if I want to marry someone else”? “Who Jen? If you do not wish your Father to suggest anyone, you must have someone in mind.” “Why is that door open! That room is a mess in there; they ought to clean it sometime”! “Oh! Um...Papa, I need to go find one of my quilts. I let one of the servants borrow it”. “Don’t shut that door yet”. “Alright”. “How about we discuss you marriage in the parlor once you get out of there”? “It will be more private so that the whole household cannot hear”. “Yes, I shall meet you in there in one moment Mama, Papa”!

At that moment Jen Bronsley entered the room and swiftly shut the door behind her. “Juliana! Tim! Nate!” Jen whispered. “Where are you”? “Over here, Jen”! Tim called. Jen walked over to him as he came out from behind the dresser. The Tussin siblings also emerged from their hiding places and joined Tim and Jen. “All right, it is safe to leave now. Here is some breakfast for the road”. Jen handed each of them some biscuits and an orange. “That’s all I could get” she said.

“That is fine” Juliana said. “Thank you” the three chorused. Jen nodded in recognition. “Thank you for your hospitality” Nate said. Tim and Juliana agreed. “You’re welcome. It is still snowing outside, although now you shall see your way home. It was my pleasure to help you out in your ‘adventure’ shall we say” Jen answered. “Now hurry! You must go!”

Juliana swiftly ran out of the room, followed by Tim. Nate gave Jen a kiss on the cheek and then, blushing vigorously, ran out behind Tim. When Juliana got to the door, she opened it, trying to keep it from creaking, and then ran outside into the snow.

***

When the three arrived back at the Masterson home and had gone through the hugs and explanations, the started where they had left off the night before, trying to figure out the invitations.

“Here is the list” Tim said, setting it before him. They all glanced at it. “So there are fourteen guests we shall invite. Two of us will have to make five invitations with one person writing four”. “Well, then who writes the slowest”? Juliana asked the group. “Certainly not me, I write rather quickly, so I can get more done”.

“I believe that I should be the one to write four” Tim stated into the awkward silence. “I must admit that even though I am publicly schooled, I am a slow writer”. “Good. Now how shall we divide the invitations”? Nate asked.

“Nate, you shall write the first five to Mr. Tinkara, Cameron Tinkara, Mr. Chingle, Mrs. Chingle, and Jen Bronsley” Tim instructed, smiling as he said the last name. Next he turned to Juliana; “You shall write the invitations to Mr. Heltsern, Mrs. Heltsern, Jeremy Heltsern, Maggie Heltsern, and Peter Sintaz”. “And I myself will write to The Ilithede family and my beloved Nicole”. He smiled happily, glancing at his two companions.

“Well, what are you two standing around for? Pull up a chair and let’s get to work”!

And so, the three adolescents went to work, writing the invitations for the party. It was not a hard task. Each invitation was to include the same contents. There is an example of one invitation below:

Dear Mrs. Heltsern,

You have been invited to George and Sarah Masterson’s Christmas party this Saturday, December 21st, 1857. The party shall start around noontime and luncheon will be served. Please come and join us in the Christmas spirit. Let us rejoice in the joy of the season.

Sincerely-

Juliana Tussin

The Masterson party representative

All the letters were written as the example above shows, except for differences in the names. After about half an hour of writing, the three finished their invitations around noon.

“Well, I’m glad that’s out of the way” Tim said, with a sigh of relief. Juliana nodded her agreement. Nate just smiled and started for the stairs. “I am going to check on Heather. I do believe she is feeling better” Juliana told her companions. And with that, Juliana took off down the hall to Heather’s room.

Heather was back in her own room now, instead of in Nate’s. She was propped up on her bed with a bowl of soup on her lap. “How are you feeling”? Juliana asked as she entered the room. “All right” her sister responded. “I don’t have a fever any more but I still feel rather weak and I have a terrible headache! But Juliana, I heard what happened to you and Nate and Timothy. Are you okay? Is Nate? Please, give me the details!” So, the thirteen year old sat down on the edge of Heather’s bed and told her the story. After which Heather exclaimed: “Oh my! You must have been frightened Juliana”. “It was scary being so far out in that snow” Juliana answered smiling as she said it. “But, I guess you could say, I’m used to it”. Heather laughed at this and Juliana laughed with her. “Did you send out the invitations yet”? Heather asked. “Mr. Masterson sent one of the servants off to the post office to deliver the invitations” the sister answered forcing a smile.

“Oh wonderful”! Heather exclaimed, sighing wistfully. “Well I am glad you’re feeling better, Heather” Juliana said looking down at the floor.

Heather looked at her sister. “Is something wrong, Juliana”? “Huh? Oh, uh, nothing, nothing’s wrong. I was just thinking that’s all” Juliana said, fumbling for words. “If you say so” Heather said sighing. “I’m going to go, Eatha,” Juliana said. “They’re holding lunch for me downstairs”. “Oh, okay” Heather said, looking at the floor. “But Juliana, would you please come back after your lunch. I would appreciate it if you would help me. I’m going to try and get up and walk around for a while. It might do me some good”.

“Of course I’ll come back, Heather” Juliana said. And this time she smiled and met her sister’s eyes. Heather’s eyes glowed with sisterly warmth. “Thank you, Juli” Heather said. And then Juliana left the room and headed downstairs.

When Juliana came down and entered the dining room, she was surprised to find that it was not just the Masterson’s who were sitting at the table. There were two adults and one young woman who were there as well. The adult guests were sitting beside George Masterson and the young woman sat beside Tim.

These must be the Chingle’s. Juliana thought. It seemed likely. Had Timothy Masterson mentioned anything about their coming today? Juliana racked her memory but to no avail. After standing in the doorway a moment, Juliana got herself together and excused herself for being tardy, and took her place beside her brother and Sarah Masterson. She sat opposite the young woman, who could only be Nicole Chingle, Tim’s fiancé.

Once Juliana was seated, the food was brought in for the midday meal. “How is Heather feeling”? Mrs. Masterson asked quietly. “She says she is feeling much better” Juliana said. “I am to help her walk around the house - to get up and out of the room - after our luncheon”. “Oh, that’s wonderful”! Mrs. Masterson exclaimed. Mrs. Chingle nodded her head. “Are you excited for Christmas, Nicole”? George Masterson asked. Miss Chingle nodded and exclaimed “Oh yes, sir! I am very happy for Christmas. Oh and I can’t wait for your Christmas party on Saturday. What day is it today?” “Thursday” Juliana stated quietly. “Ah yes! Thank you ...” “Juliana Tussin” said Juliana. Nicole nodded her head in silent acknowledgment.

The rest of the meal went on with the adults talking about politics and work and other things that the young people did not really care about. After the midday lunch, Juliana, Nate, Nicole, and Tim excused themselves and went their separate ways. Nicole and Tim decided to talk in the family room. Nate headed out to the stables to attempt to ride Raven through all the snow and Juliana went up to Heather’s room.

Juliana entered the room silently, so that Heather, with her back turned did not notice her presence until she spoke. “Heather, are you ready”? Heather spun around, a startled expression on her face. She pressed a hand to her chest. “Oh, Juliana! You scared me! I­_ I didn’t here you come in”! “I am deeply sorry that I have frightened you” Juliana said courteously. “Are you ready for your walk now, Eatha”? “Yes, Juliana. Thank you again, for everything you’ve done for me”. Juliana Tussin nodded her acknowledgment. “That is what sisters do for each other” she said with a smile.

And with that final word, Juliana stepped forward and helped Heather step out of the bed. She wrapped Heather’s shawl around her shoulders so that Heather would look presentable. Then she guided her across the room, opened the door again, and stepped out into the hall. They carried on like this - with Juliana guiding her ill sister by the shoulders - throughout the whole Masterson household. However, the Tussin sisters were careful not to disturb the Mastersons and the visiting adults, or Tim and Nicole who were talking about their rapidly approaching wedding.

After Heather was through getting her exercise, the two girls went back to Heather’s room and Juliana helped her back into her bed to rest. “Thank you so much, Juli” Heather said as she sank back into her bed. “I really needed that. I feel much better than I did before. Although now I am feeling rather tired” she said. “Be calm and get some rest” Juliana said. I’ll check up on you later”. Heather nodded, closed her eyes, and rolled onto her side. Juliana took a last look at her sister and then closed the door behind her and walked out.

“Has anyone hung the ribbons yet”! Sarah Masterson cried. “Oh dear, our guests will be here any minute”!

It was Saturday, the day of the Christmas party. Everyone was bustling around, making the house neat and tidy and decorated. Mrs. Masterson was worrying over the tidiness of the house and making sure that the servants had all the food prepared. Mr. George Masterson was organizing the furniture and getting the fire ready. Heather - who was now back on her feet regularly - and Juliana were hanging decorations like the ribbons, mistletoe, and wreaths.

Nate and Timothy were acting very mischievous. They made sure that the outside walk was clear and the stable was clean. Although, they seemed all too eager to be out working in the stable. They had to be doing something in there, thought Juliana. Although, she had not the time to wonder about the boys right now. There were other things on her mind.

As she was hanging mistletoe and ribbons, Juliana found herself thinking about Jeremy Heltsern again. What would he think of her being at the Masterson’s party? Did he even know she was staying with them? She doubted that very much. How could he know? Juliana thought of what he had told her the last time they had talked: “It was nice to catch you alone, because I wanted to tell you_”. What had he been going to say? She wondered. Whatever he was going to say she could not guess. There were so many things he could say!

The doorbell to the Masterson household rang then and she froze. She looked at Heather who was across the room, in the middle of hanging a wreath. Heather looked over her shoulder at Juliana. “Who do you think it is”?! Heather whispered nervously. “How am I supposed to know”! Juliana whispered back, annoyed at such a dumb question.

George Masterson appeared in the doorway to the parlor. “Girls, the Ilithede’s are here” he said. “Please finish up quickly and then come out to greet them” Mr. Masterson requested this politely and then disappeared again. Heather and Juliana sighed a sigh of relief. “Okay good, so it’s only the Ilithede’s” Juliana said. “At least it’s not Peter. I want to be there when he gets here. Not be in the middle of hanging up wreaths” said Heather. The girls giggled at this.

After a moment of putting up the rest of the decorations Heather asked: “Juli, who did you invite? I don’t believe you ever told me”. “Oh I, I, I didn’t invite anyone. I mean, uh, you know...” “What, Juliana? What is it?” her sister asked. “Uh, nothing, it’s nothing. C’mon let’s go and see who else is here” Juliana finished. And with that she led the way out of the parlor to the family room, where the guests would be gathered.

In the family room were Mr. and Mrs. Ilithede and their nineteen year old daughter Kate. Next to Kate was a young man who was most likely her husband. Kate Ilithede had gotten married in Maryland. She had worked as a school teacher there and had later met her husband Benjamin Hubbard.

Also there, was the entire Heltsern family except, to her dismay, Jeremy. He is probably working until late afternoon! Juliana thought. I should have thought of it before!

The last person in the room besides the Masterson and Tussin families was Jen Bronsley. She stood unnoticed on the edge of the room, apparently looking for someone. Nate. That’s who she was looking for, Juliana thought. The familiar face of Nate Tussin. Where is Nate anyway? Juliana wondered. Her brother was a bit of a goose.

Juliana walked up to Jen and greeted her. “Hello, Miss Bronsley. How have you been since we last met”? Juliana asked with a smile. “I have been very well, Miss Tussin. And how have you, yourself been”? “Ok I suppose. It has indeed been an interesting past few days” Juliana responded with a shaky laugh.

“Oh, don’t I know it” Jen responded. “My parents have been asking me who I am going to marry. They want me married and out of the house! But alas! How am I supposed to know? I am only sixteen”.

“And you have no idea at all who you wish to marry? Not at all?” Juliana asked suspiciously. “Well, there is someone ­_” Jen began. But after that she froze. She seemed to be looking at something behind Juliana. “What”? She asked. All Jen could do was point.

Juliana spun around. It was someone dressed as St. Nick. Nate! Juliana thought, astounded. Oh, what is he doing! Juliana glanced at Heather who was also looking at their brother in astonishment. Then Tim Masterson popped out from behind Nate. He was dressed in a little elf costume.

Juliana looked at Jen and giggled. Jen had a look of surprise on her face. “I found Nate” Jen said. Juliana laughed. “So that is what he and Tim have been up to”! “I would expect it of ol’ Timothy, he as mischievous as you come, but Nate, he seemed...” “Yes, I know” Juliana said. “You wouldn’t expect it of him, but if you grow up with him, well, you know what you’re going to get out of him”. She smiled.

“Excuse me for a moment”. Juliana walked up to Tim and Nate and said “Hello St. Nick, Mr. Elf, what on earth are you two doing”! “Just having a bit of fun, my dear”! Said Tim patting her on the head. “That’s fine, but just don’t humiliate me”! She said, talking mainly to her brother. “Do not fear young girl”! Nate said with a jolly laugh. Juliana shook her head, frustrated and then walked away.

By this time, all the guests had arrived, including Jeremy, who had arrived a little while after his family had. Mrs. Masterson rang a bell a few times to get the guests attention. “Lunch shall be served now”! She continued: “The adults will sit at the large table and those below the age of eighteen shall sit and the smaller table! Thank you”.

And so one by one, everyone flowed out of the family room and into the dining room where two rather big tables were set up with food on them. The people at the smaller table consisted of Juliana, Heather, Nate, Maggie Heltsern, Jeremy, Cameron Tinkara, Peter, Nicole, Jen, and Tim.

They all took their places at the table. Juliana sat next to Heather who sat next to Nicole who sat next to Tim who sat next to Nate who sat next to Cameron who sat next to Jeremy who sat next to Peter who sat next to Maggie who sat next to Jen. They began by filling their plates and for the first part of the meal, no one spoke.

Cameron Tinkara was the one who started the conversation. “So, who’s looking forward to Saint Nick coming on Wednesday”? He asked, directing the question mainly at Maggie who at eight years old was the youngest of the group. “I am, I am”! Maggie cried, bouncing up and down in her chair. They all laughed. “May I ask what is so funny”? Maggie asked. “It’s nothing Maggie, you’ll understand when you are older” Jeremy said reassuringly.

It is so nice to here Jeremy’s voice again! Juliana thought. It sounded so sweet, like sugar and honey mixed together.

“Hey everyone,” Tim said “I want to take you all to a room upstairs. After this, the adults eighteen and older are going to clear away all the furniture in the family room and dance. But we are allowed to go anywhere else in the house. That is the good news”. Everyone at the table smiled at this.

When the meal was over, the servants cleared away the dishes and extras and, as Tim had predicted, George Masterson made and announcement about the dancing. So, the people under eighteen went their separate ways. Jen, Tim noticed, went into the parlor to read for a while. As Tim herded the rest of the kids upstairs, he held Nate back. “Excuse me, Nate? Would you be willing to look for my notebook? I believe I left it in the parlor”.

“Why don’t you look for it”? Nate inquired, suspiciously. “I have, but alas! I cannot seem to find it anywhere” Tim said, barely managing to hold back a smile. “Okay” said Nate sighing. “I suppose I can look for it. The parlor you say?” “Yes. Thank you, Nate. I appreciate the help”. And with that Tim ran up the stairs to meet everyone else.

On the second floor, there was a small sewing room that was right above the parlor. “Come everyone,” Tim Masterson said. “Let us go into the sewing room”. So the seven companions of Tim went into the sewing room after him. “There is a hole here in the floor. It looks directly into the parlor below. There I have situated our two friends Nate Tussin and Jen Bronsley. They happen to fancy each other and we, my friends, are going to watch for something interesting”. He grinned wolfishly.

The eight friends gathered around the small hole. Juliana looked up and was face to face with Jeremy. She gasped, surprised. “What”? Heather asked. “Nothing” Juliana said. Then to hide her embarrassment, she looked down through the hole. She could see Nate enter the parlor. All of the companions watched with excitement.

Nate walked into the parlor and was startled to find Jen Bronsley sitting on a sofa by the fire, reading. “Oh! I, I didn’t know anyone was in here, I thought everyone had gone upstairs. I, I’m sorry if I am intruding”. Nate’s face colored immensely. “It is fine, Nate” Jen said, smiling. “Come sit with me” she said, patting the seat beside her. With little hesitation, Nate plopped down next to her. “You like to read”? “Yes, as a matter of fact, I do” Miss Bronsley replied.

“Did I ever properly thank you for chopping logs for the schoolhouse”? Jen inquired. “Oh, that” Nate said, “I don’t know, I mean it was just a service for the people who would be in the schoolhouse this winter”. “Although,” Nate started, “What would you believe to qualify as ‘proper thanks’”? “Come” Miss Bronsley said and she got up and walked to the middle of the room where a piece of mistletoe was hung. Nate followed her. “Would this cover it”? Jen said. And she wrapped her arms around Nate Tussin and kissed him.

Above in the sewing room the friends watched Nate and Jen. The girls giggled with excitement. The boys grinned happily. Maggie cooed at them. “Oooohhh!! Look at them! It’s so cute!” Maggie whispered to her comrades. Juliana smiled at her brother and wondered what Heather thought of the whole thing. She was giggling excitedly, but she also had a somewhat pessimistic look about her as if she wasn’t happy with the whole thing.

After a moment, Jen and Nate backed away from each other. Nate’s cheeks were colored and he smiled foolishly. “That is a good ‘proper thanks’”. Miss Bronsley smiled at him but then a worried look crossed her face.

“We shouldn’t have done that” she said. “It isn’t uh, right for two unmarried people to...” “Miss Bronsley” Nate said calmly. “We have an excuse, the mistletoe. You know the tradition of kissing under mistletoe”. “But what would my parent’s say if they ever found out”! She cried. “They don’t have to know” Nate said softly. “The secret is safe with me”.

In the sewing room, the companions in the circle were all smiling with excitement and glee. “Nobody can tell that this ever happened” Cameron said, looking mainly at the Juliana, Heather, Maggie, Jeremy. “Do you understand”? Everyone in the circle nodded.

Juliana looked back down through the hole in the floor. “Jen...uh Miss Bronsley” Nate said, fumbling for words. “Would you join me in the family room? The dancing should be done by now and I believe that we are to be singing Christmas Carols next”. “Nate, I would love to sing Christmas Carols with you” Jen responded, smiling up at him. “Can you sing”? “Well enough” Nate said with a shaky laugh. And with that the two left the parlor, heading for the family room.

Upstairs, in the sewing room, the young adults laughed and talked about what had just occurred with their friend.

“Come” Tim said gesturing towards the door. “We should join our friends in the caroling”. And with that he walked out the door. Slowly the other seven companions followed Tim and they entered the family room where all the adults were gathered talking.

Mr. Masterson was the first to greet them. “Ah! Tim! You and your friends are just in time for the Christmas Carols”! “Father, that is very good news! For we all no everyone loves Christmas Carols”. “Yes that is quite right” George Masterson said nodding.

“What shall we sing first”? Kate Hubbard asked. “How about ‘The First Noel”? Heather suggested to Mr. Masterson. “Heather, that is a great way to start off” Mr. Masterson agreed, and he smiled.

Everyone at the party sat or stood around the room as they took up the First Noel carol. “The first noel the angels did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay” Juliana sang delightedly. She knelt by little Maggie Heltsern and held the sheet music of the First Noel in front of her. And Maggie sang the words as Juliana dragged her finger underneath them to show which line they were singing.

After the song was over, everybody clapped and smiled and laughed. Maggie was so delighted that she had managed to sing the entire song. She was jumping up and down and soon, Juliana lifted her up and spun her around. After Maggie was set back on the floor, her smile was so broad it stretched across her whole face.

The party of people continued singing carols like ‘While Shepherds Watched’, ‘Ding Dong Merrily on High’, ‘O Come All Ye Faithful’ and the like. And the hours flew by of talking, laughing, singing. And soon all the guests were saying their goodbyes. Juliana was hugging and shaking hands goodbye with all the guests because the Masterson’s counted her as one of the hosts.

Before the Heltsern’s left, Maggie ran up to her and hugged her legs. “Oh Maggie”! Juliana cried. “Did you have fun tonight”? Maggie nodded fiercely. Juliana picked Maggie up and kissed her on the cheek. “You are going to church tomorrow, correct”? Juliana asked her after setting her down. “Not tomorrow, Juliana” Maggie said. “We got my Mama’s birthday to celebrate”. “Oh! Tell her I wish her a good birthday then and I will hopefully see you at church next week” Juliana said. “Bye Juliana” Maggie said hugging her one last time.

“And what do you say, Maggie”?

Juliana looked up and stared into Jeremy’s soft brown eyes.

“Thank you”! Maggie said and with one final squeeze she ran over into the next room where her mother was waiting for her.

“It was a nice surprise to see you here” Jeremy said with a slight smile. “As it was to see you” she said to Jeremy. “Although, I knew beforehand you would be coming” Juliana stated. “Is that so”? Jeremy asked. “I have been staying here for about a month now” Juliana informed him.

“My mother had to go far to Richmond, Virginia to take care of my father, who is very ill. She should be home in hopefully a month or so” Juliana said. “Well, Miss Juliana, for your sake, I hope you are right”. “I hope you had a good time” Juliana said to him. “I did” he said nodding. “Listen Juliana, do you think you will be able to meet me outside the General Store on Christmas” Jeremy asked. “The store is closed on holidays and I was hoping to speak with you”.

“Perhaps, Mr. Heltsern, perhaps”. “I will try”. She bowed her head. And Jeremy took that as her goodbye. He went to the door, thanked the Masterson adults, and -with his family- left.

On Christmas Morning, Juliana was startled awake by Heather shaking her softly by the shoulders. “Good Morning, Juli! Merry Christmas”! She whispered. Then she turned her head and looked behind her. Only then did she also see Nate and Tim, still in their sleep wear, looking as confused and awkward as she. Juliana rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. “Heather? Wha...What time is it”? “It’s three o’clock” she said smiling delightedly.

“Wake me up at six then” Juliana told her and she settled in her bed as if going back to sleep.

“No! Juliana, you don’t understand. It’s three which means we have to light our candles and say our Christmas prayers”. “Don’t you remember last year”? Heather questioned. “Vaguely” Juliana said yawning. She looked over at Nate and Tim who both had bags under their eyes and looked like they were about to fall asleep right where they stood. Juliana rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and finally got out of her warm bed. Heather lit and then handed Juliana her green Christmas candle. It was a strong and durable candle and it had little elves dressed in white and red painted on it.

Juliana looked over at Heather just as she finished lighting and handing out Nate’s Christmas Candle and Tim’s candle - his was blank because he did not follow the same custom as the Tussin’s did. “Where shall we put the candles”? Juliana questioned at last. “Your window will work” Heather nodded toward the window next to the bed. Juliana looked across the way as the four settled, kneeling under the window and in the opposite house the same mysterious face was there, head bowed facing his candle. He must have the same tradition as we do! Juliana thought in surprise.

But she had not the time to puzzle over it right now. The four companions placed their candles on Juliana’s window sill and bowed their head in front of it, careful not to get their hair or clothes on fire. Silently they prayed to themselves. Juliana closed her eyes and whispered her prayer: “God, help Mother and Father to come home soon and safely. Please help Father be free of his illness. Please help their Christmas presents to arrive in time. God I thank you for your son. I thank Him for His sacrifice. Christ sacrificed His life to save us. God I thank you for my friends, family and the shelter you have given us and the food you allow to be on our table. Through Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.”

Juliana opened her eyes and stood in her place. Whoever was done praying stood until everyone stood together. Tim was already standing. He glanced down at her. She glanced into his eyes for just a moment but then looked back down at the floor. After a few more moments, Nate stood, with his eyes closed. Heather was the longest-as always-and it took her several minutes before she finished all her prayers.

When Heather finally stood up, Tim laughed, but it was not a laugh of humor. “This is a very interesting tradition you Tussin’s have. I shall have to tell my parents about it”. Juliana felt good knowing she made an impact on someone’s life; but she had a question itching in the back of her mind that needed to be answered.

“Tim” Juliana started “Who is it that lives in that house across the way”? “Oh, them” Tim said sighing a little. “What’s wrong Tim”? Nate asked. “Nothing, it’s just that across the way lives the Heltsern family. That kid of theirs drives me nuts! That Jeremy kid! He is asks so many questions and talks total nonsense! His head is up in the clouds, I swear it”!

Juliana could not believe what she was hearing. Jeremy was a little wistful and fantasized but he was also very practical and sensible and smart and gorgeous. But she was not about to argue with Tim now, especially because it was Christmas.

The four companions then went down the stairs to the family room. Underneath the Christmas tree there were lots of presents. There were gifts for everyone. The candles on the tree were still lit from the night before and the wooden angels and other ornamental decorations also adorned the tree. “It looks so beautiful” Heather said, barely audible. Juliana could not wait to open the gifts. She was so grateful she got any gifts at all.

***

By seven in the morning all the gifts had been distributed and opened. Juliana had received a knitted hat with snow men on it from Heather and a poem from Nate. From Tim, she had received a beautiful necklace and from his parents she had gotten a new dress. It was gorgeous: a light lilac dress with a flowing skirt and ruffled sleeves. And from her Mother and Father she received a copy of a book written in French but translated into English: A Harlot High and Low. Overall she was very pleased with her gifts. Beforehand, since she had decided to go out and meet Jeremy on this day, she had written a story of her life except with different names for everyone in her life. She hoped he would like it.

After all the gifts were opened, hugs and thank-you’s were shared. Once all the paper was cleared out of the family room so that it looked neat and orderly again, Juliana went to the closet by the door to get her coat, scare and gloves. She also put on the hat that Heather had given her.

Just as she was about to go out the door she felt a tap on her shoulder and spun around immediately. She faced Heather. “And where are you going this Christmas? There are no stores open and the snow is up to your knees”. “I...I know, I’m uh...just going for a ride, you know, on Raven” Juliana said, fumbling for words. “Okay” Heather said. She was suspicious of Juliana. I’ll follow her Heather thought.

Juliana left the Masterson house and went to the barn. She saddled Raven silently and set off. He snorted with happiness and delight. Juliana hadn’t taken Raven out riding in a very long time. Although she did care for him quite often.

It was quite cold outside but fortunately it wasn’t snowing. Since she was riding Raven it took very little time to get to Market. Once she arrived, Juliana stabled him in the public stable and walked to the General Store. When she approached, she saw Jeremy sitting on the steps. He was dressed in a heavy jacket, trousers, boots, hats and gloves.

When Jeremy saw Juliana coming he immediately got off the steps and walked through the snow towards her. When they met Jeremy took her hands in his and then the two friends embraced each other. “Merry Christmas, Juliana” Jeremy said in her ear. “Merry Christmas” Juliana replied, her voice muffled by his coat. They stepped apart and he took her hands again. “Come sit” Jeremy said, gesturing toward the General Store steps.

Juliana followed him to the steps and sat down beside him. “Juliana” Jeremy began. “There’s something I’ve wanted to tell you for a while now. “You would consider us friends, would you not”? “I do believe you are my friend, Jeremy” Juliana said. “Well, I like you” Jeremy continued.

Juliana was not surprised but delighted by the thought. “And I mean I really, really like you Juliana”. Jeremy then stood up and started pacing in front of the steps. “I’ve never met any girl like you before. Not even the smartest, most beautiful girls in school can even be half of what you are. You’re amazing. You are smart, sensible, and silly, but so beautiful. Your spirit is untamed and I hope it remains so for as long as you live. You and I are both young but you are not afraid to show your youthful wonder to elders. Are you an angel, Juliana? I wonder that every night before I go to sleep”.

“You’re staying at the Masterson’s house, aren’t you? I live across the way. I’ve seen you at night and imagined...Well, I won’t go there but... I saw you and your family this morning doing the three a.m. prayers. I have that custom as well. Although my parents don’t believe in the ‘nonsense’” And as Jeremy said “nonsense” he put air quotes around it.

Juliana got off the steps then and stood in front of him. “Oh, Jeremy”! Juliana said. “I feel the same about you, but don’t you think we’re a little young to be, you know, courting”? “I never did find out your age” Juliana said with a wink. “I’m thirteen, nearly fourteen” he said smiling his gorgeous smile at her. “Really” Juliana said. “I shall be fourteen in June”. “Wonderful”! Jeremy stated. “We can begin courting at fifteen. Only another year”! “That depends if we still like each other” Juliana corrected. Although currently, she was deeply in love with Jeremy Heltsern Juliana thought.

“Oh! I have something for you. A Christmas gift” Juliana said suddenly remembering. She took it out from under her shall. Her book was nicely wrapped in green paper. She handed it to him. Jeremy sat back down and he opened it. Jeremy flipped through it, and then smiled. “Thank you, Juliana”. He then hugged her and while he hugged her slipped something into her hand.

She broke the hug and looked at what she now held in her hand. It was a small box wrapped in pale paper. “Go ahead, open it” Jeremy urged. She ripped of the paper and found a small little case only this one was gold colored and soft. She opened the case and inside was a gorgeous necklace. It was a simple chain with a gold colored star on it. There was an inscription on the star that said: YOU ARE A SHINING STAR. “Oh Jeremy”! Juliana cried and she threw herself into his arms. “Thank you. This is so beautiful. I’ve never had jewelry before and...oh!”

Juliana was delighted with her other gifts but this one most of all and for two reasons: because it was coming from Jeremy and because it was a first time thing for her.

Juliana and Jeremy both stood now in front of the General Store steps, facing each other. “Is this why you called me here”? Juliana queried. “To tell me you like me and reward me with this incredible gift”? “I asked you here today to tell you...the things I did, and to give you the gift but also just to be with you” Jeremy said. “Juliana I can barely stand not being near you always”. He smelled her hair then kissed her neck, then her shoulder. “

“Jeremy”! Juliana was surprised at this behavior. “You...we...this can’t happen! Not yet! Not now!” Immediately after she had said that he straightened and backed away from her. Jeremy looked her in the eye and said solemnly “I’m so sorry, Juliana”. “This was not what I planned on. We will only be friends for now and this I swear” Jeremy said and he knelt at her feet and made a cross in front of his chest.

“Get up”! Juliana said throwing snow at him. “C’mon. Let’s go to my house and get something warm to eat”.

Heather left the house about ten minutes after Juliana had. She didn’t have to do much searching on where she went; she just followed the horse tracks left by Raven. But Heather knew a shortcut to Market and fortunately, it was barely covered in snow. It was a miracle and she was willing to use it to her advantage. The shortcut went through the woods which were behind the houses on the street. Heather walked to the rear of the house entered the woods and searched for the path. After much searching, she found it and started running.

Heather -being a protective older sister- was determined to know what Juliana was up to. There was nothing in the world that Heather could imagine that Juliana could be doing at Market on Christmas of all days. After a few minutes of running on the shortcut path, Heather found her landmark and cut through the trees again until she came up behind the post office which was across from the General Store.

From here she could see Juliana clearly, but she was with someone else: a boy. What was his name? Heather thought. It was on the tip of her tongue. Jeremy! Jeremy Heltsern. Now she remembered. What were they doing though? Heather could hear bits and pieces of what they were saying. Jeremy started talking to her sister saying things like “you would consider us friends” or “I like you”. But that’s all Heather could hear at the moment.

She saw Jeremy get up and start pacing before Juliana. He was saying things she couldn’t believe. He was basically saying he was in love with her sister. My sister!! Heather thought.

She tuned back in, to hear more of what was being said. Heather heard Jeremy Heltsern say he knew they were staying at the Masterson household and that he had seen them! And thought about Juliana! Heather couldn’t believe what she was hearing! Is he stalking Juliana or what? How does he know so much about her!?!? “Oh, Jeremy! I feel the same way about you”! Heather heard Juliana say. Heather hoped she was dreaming. She tried pinching herself on the arm but felt the pain.

Then the two started talking about courting. She heard something about courting when they were fifteen. They would start then. Heather knew this. They would court each other right when they turned fifteen. Unless there is some way to prevent it Heather thought.

Then she saw Juliana give Jeremy a Christmas gift. He opened it but she could not tell what it was. Then they hugged each other and when they stepped apart Juliana had something in her hand. Heather watched her sister open it and saw that it was a necklace. Juliana exclaimed things excitedly but Heather could not understand what. Juliana was lucky to have a friend who gave her jewelry. They never could afford jewelry.

After Juliana had calmed herself she asked, “is this why you asked me here”? But Heather couldn’t hear the rest for she started speaking so quietly. Jeremy responded to her in a whisper.

But Heather couldn’t believe what happened next. Jeremy Heltsern put his face the side of her head. Then he bent lower and kissed her neck, then her shoulder and looked like he was ready for more when Juliana shrieked “Jeremy”! to get him to stop. Then Heather heard him apologize and he knelt and prayed. Although then Juliana threw a bit of snow at him and beckoned for him to follow, saying something she couldn’t make out. Heather watched them leave and just stood stunned.

After a moment, though, she got herself together and started walking slowly back to the Masterson’s house.

***

Juliana took Raven out of the public stable, warning Jeremy to stay back. “Will you be okay riding Raven”? Juliana asked Jeremy. “Of course”! Jeremy said. So Juliana mounted Raven and Jeremy mounted behind her.

Juliana and Jeremy rode along in silence for a while. “It’s not far now” Juliana said after about ten minutes of riding. “I’ve never been to your house before Juliana. And from what I gathered you haven’t been there for almost two months now. By the way, why have you been staying at the Masterson household”?

Juliana felt a lurch in her stomach. Nobody knew about why they were not home other than the Masterson family themselves. Did she really feel comfortable telling even Jeremy about her father’s situation? “We-my brother and sister and I - have been staying at the Masterson house because it was necessary for my mother to leave us because my father had fallen ill in Richmond”. “Would you find it offensive if I asked why your Father was in Richmond”?

“He...he is looking for work. He is not as fortunate as other men in this town are to find work”. “We are a very poor family and he’s been everywhere in New England searching for work”. There was an awkward silence between the two. “I’m sorry Juliana” Jeremy said. “That’s okay” she said. “You have the right to know if you wish”.

By this time the friends had reached the house. The color of the house was black and looking through the windows, it was as dark inside. Juliana and Jeremy dismounted Raven and Juliana stabled him in the snow filled stable. Then she led the way inside. The door was locked so she had to use the extra key hidden in the window sill next to the door. The house was so empty and dark. Juliana lit a lamp in the family room. Jeremy looked around.

The two went through the whole house together. Jeremy didn’t say a word. When they reached Juliana and Heather’s room, they paused. “This is the room that my sister and I share” Juliana told him. “It’s very nice” he said with a smile. “I like to think so” she said.

Then they went back downstairs and made a small fire in the kitchen. Juliana made some tea as Jeremy sat listening to her tales of her family. Once the tea was ready Juliana poured it into two small mugs and sat down across from Jeremy’s place at the table. “It’s much easier living with the Masterson’s” Juliana said. “They live closer to town so it is much easier to do errands. And they are very well off, -money-wise I mean. They can afford nice furniture and clothes and servants and food. It has been an interesting experience. But I miss my Mother and Father dreadfully. It is so heart-sickening not to be with them sometimes”. Juliana wiped the tears out of her eyes.

“I’m sorry Juliana” Jeremy said again. “I wish I could relate to you, understand what you’re going through. “No Jeremy. You don’t. You don’t want to know what it’s like” Juliana said.

After an afternoon well spent with Jeremy, Juliana rode home with him on Raven. In the Masterson stable, Jeremy said “Goodbye, Juliana. And Merry Christmas”. “Merry Christmas to you too, Jeremy” Juliana said, and Jeremy left.

Juliana went inside to find Heather waiting by the door. “Hello, Heather” Juliana said, awkwardly. “Juliana, where have you been”? Heather questioned, all innocence. “I was out for a ride, remember”? “What took you so long? You’ve been gone all afternoon” Heather pressed. “Raven was dying to get out” Juliana said slyly. “I haven’t had a chance to take him out all winter. You know that Heather”. “Of course” Heather said. “Come”. Heather motioned for Juliana to follow her and she lead the way up the stairs and to her room.

“Juliana,” Heather said once she closed the door. “I know where you were”. “You met that Heltsern boy in the town square”! Juliana gasped shocked. “Heather! What...you...how did you...” “I heard every word! Juliana I do not want you to get involved with this kid”. “I can’t believe you Heather! I cannot believe you would do that! And to me! I’m your sister! I can’t believe you would eavesdrop on our conversation and...and...”! Juliana burst out of the room, angry and distraught.

Juliana ran to her room, and locked the door. Then she took out a quill and paper and began to write to her mother in Richmond. She wrote:

Dear, dear Mama,

How have you been? I miss you so dreadfully much. I hope the winter ends soon so that you and Father may come back. Merry Christmas, Mama. Tell Father I say Merry Christmas. I do hope he heals. Mother, my purpose for writing to you is that I am having ‘boy troubles’. I know I should not have a “boyfriend” for lack of a better term, until I am at least fourteen, but he really likes me, Mama. And I’m afraid I like him very much as well. I met with him this afternoon and Heather spied on us. I am terribly angry at her and horrified that she would do such a thing. How can I handle this? I wish you were here. I need your good advice now more than ever. Mama, I never got to ask you this in person. I wish I could wait but I find that I cannot. Mama, when did a boy first start courting you? Please tell me your story. I love you Mother and Father too. Please write back,

-Juliana

After that she folded the letter, put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it. Juliana wasn’t planning on going out again because the last thing she needed was for Heather to grow more suspicious of her. And she couldn’t mail the letter today anyways because every shop in town was closed for the holiday.

Juliana went downstairs into the family room and collected all her gifts that were still strewn everywhere. She stacked them carefully on top of each other and then brought them up into the room that she had been using for a month now.

The six days after Christmas passed so quickly, that it was all a blur to Juliana. She never knew that so many preparations needed to be done for a wedding. But New Year’s Day finally did come and the wedding was to be a splendid one. All the Masterson’s close friends and family were invited as well as the Chingle family and their friends. Juliana and Heather were to be one of Nicole’s seven bridesmaids. And Nate was Tim’s best man, as well as his best friend.

When Juliana and Heather entered the Chingle household together - where Nicole, her mother, and her bridesmaids would be getting ready - they were greeted by Mrs. Chingle, who in her lovely red dress was ready to get the young girls all ready. “Heather and Juliana. Correct”? Mrs. Chingle said as she let them inside. “Yes Ma’am” Juliana and Heather said in unison. “Let me help you get dressed so then we may all see to Nicole’s appearance” Mrs. Chingle said happily. “Come with me”. The Tussin girls obediently followed.

They were taken in to the living room where seven lovely lavender dresses were hung upon a shelf. Lois Chingle took two dresses down, and handed them to the girls. “Here you are. Now why don’t you two go in there and help each other into the dresses” Mrs. Chingle said pointing to a small room off of the living room.

Heather and Juliana walked across the room and entered the sewing room. The sisters silently slipped out of their every day dresses and then slipped the lavender dresses on. “Heather, can you do the buttons on the back”? Juliana questioned. “I can’t reach the top ones”. “Of course, Juliana” Heather said, and obliged. Juliana had forgiven Heather for what she had done on Christmas and the sisters were now on good terms with one another. Once they were dressed, Juliana and Heather put their other dresses back on the hanger and looked at themselves in the long mirror that was set up in the room.

Juliana loved the dress. It was a light lavender color with a round neck and long sleeves; there was a ribbon around the waist that tied in the back. The skirt was full and beautiful. Heather twirled in her dress and Juliana did the same.

When the sisters left the sewing room they were greeted by three other women who were going to get changed.

Once all the bridesmaids were ready and dressed, they went into the parlor to see Nicole. After the bridesmaids and Mrs. Chingle were done with her, Nicole looked astonishingly gorgeous. She had on a beautiful white dress, long and pure. Her long hair had been curled and her veil was lightly placed on her head. Lois Chingle presented her with the bouquet and then all the ladies headed across the street to the church.

By the time they got there, the church was filled. The pianist, a friend of Nicole’s, was playing a wedding march while each bridesmaid was taken by the arm of a groomsman and taken down the aisle and then off to the side before the altar. And then Nicole was taken by her father, Louis Chingle, and they walked slowly down the aisle in the church. When they reached the altar, Mr. Chingle gave her away to Timothy Masterson.

The two then said their vows and listened to the preacher and they were married. Juliana cried at the beautiful moment. After the ceremony, the newlyweds took a carriage and rode back to the Masterson household.

Juliana, Heather, and Nate all stood side by side and watched them go. “Wow” Nate said. “I can’t believe ‘ol Tim has finally done it. He’s got himself a wife now”. “Yes Nate” Heather said. “Yes he does”. Heather smiled up at him. “Happy New Year” Juliana said quietly. “Happy New Year” Heather and Nate said back to their youngest sister.

Once back at the Masterson house, with Tim and Nicole in the parlor with their parents, and the three Tussin siblings upstairs in Juliana’s room, Juliana sat at her desk with Heather and Nate talking to one another. Juliana wrote to her mother the following message:

Dearest Mama,

Happy New Year! How are you? How is Papa? I hope you are both doing well. Tim Masterson and Nicole Chingle were married today. As I write this they are downstairs in the Masterson’s parlor with their parents. Heather and I were bridesmaids to Nicole and the dresses are so beautiful. Mrs. Chingle is letting us keep them. I am so grateful to her. And Nate was the best man to Tim! I wish you could have been here. I wish you well in the upcoming year Mama, and I hope you and Papa will be home to join us soon.

-Love Juliana.

Juliana turned around to face Nate and Heather. “I’ve finished writing to Mama and Papa” Juliana stated. “I’ll mail it tomorrow morning”. “Oh good”! Heather said with a smile. “Thank you, Juliana” and Heather got up and hugged her.

And thus began the year of 1858.

The last few months of winter passed very quickly. Before she had known it was coming, spring was on Mother Earth’s doorstep. Juliana awoke one April morning, looked out the window and found buds growing on the nearby trees. After getting dressed she ran down the stairs and into the hall to get her shoes on.

By this time, Tim - with help from his father - had been able to build a nice, sturdy house for Nicole and himself. Juliana ran out of the house before anyone else woke up to stop her. She ran all the way down to Market, pausing at certain intervals to take breaths.

Once Juliana reached the edge of the Market she walked to the post office. Mrs. Tussin said that she would be sending mail soon so every day for the past week and a half Juliana had been coming into the post office to check for mail. When she finally entered the small room that was the post office, the postman, Mr. Therein was there to greet her. “Hello, Miss Tussin. Back again, I see” he said with a smile. “Yes, sir” Juliana said softly. “Has anything arrived from my mother”? “Yes Ma’am” Mr. Therein said. Juliana smiled broadly and looked up at the postman with wide eyes. Mr. Therein laughed and said “Juliana, you look like an angel with your face all lit up like that”. “Here’s the letter. Came in late last night. I would have gotten you immediately but we were just closing up”. Mr. Therein handed Juliana a small envelope and she grasped it tightly and said “Thank you very much, Mr. Therein,” and she curtsied and left.

Juliana started walking briskly through the new growing grass until she reached the General Store. She went in quickly hoping to see Jeremy behind the counter but there was just Mr. Goodman. “Excuse me, sir” Juliana started. “Is Jeremy Heltsern here”? “No he’s not, Juliana. I gave him the day off today. It’s his birthday”. “Oh”! Juliana exclaimed, surprised. “Of course! Thank you”!

Juliana began to run to the Heltsern household as quick as she could. April 20th is Jeremy’s birthday...how could he not have told me earlier? Halfway there, Juliana stopped to walk and as she did so, she opened the envelope from her mother. It read:

Dear Heather, Juliana, and Nate,

I am coming home soon. I should be home by April twentieth. I have some news for you, but I cannot share it by letter. I hope to see you soon and be with my darling children once more.

-Love Ma

“That’s today! But, what about Father”? Juliana said aloud. Even so, Juliana folded the letter again and placed it back in its envelope and sealed it. Then she continued on, walking, to Jeremy’s house. Once she made it there, Juliana stepped up nervously to the door. She knocked twice and waited. After a moment, Maggie Heltsern opened the door. Juliana looked down at her as Maggie stepped out and hugged her around the waist.

“Juliana”! she exclaimed. “What a pleasant surprise! Come in, please”! “Oh I can’t, Maggie” Juliana said. “I’m just looking for Jeremy to wish him a happy birthday”. Maggie stopped smiling as her face then turned to disappointment. “He’s not here. He’s out in the meadow at the edge of town”. “Okay, thank you, Maggie” Juliana said. “Will you come back, Juliana” Maggie pleaded. “Soon enough” Juliana said with a smile, and she gave the girl a big hug and then left.

What would he be doing in the meadow? Juliana wondered. It is a convenient place though. My house is right by there.

Once Juliana reached the edge of the meadow, she halted. Where on earth could he be in this huge land of meadow? She looked around but saw no one. So Juliana took a leap and started walking through the tall grass.

The grasses were green, and there was perfume on the air from the many flowers. It was warm for mid-April, the sky was blue and it was pleasant.

She walked through the meadow for miles, it seemed. How long had she been walking? But then out of nowhere, she felt her feet hit something and then she tripped and went flying, then falling to the ground. Juliana hit the ground hard, her cheek dug into the earth. She sat up on her knees and looked around. Her hands were stinging. She brushed them off with her dress and then saw Jeremy’s head pop up from below the tall grass.

“Jeremy”! Juliana exclaimed. She was quite surprised. “Juliana”! He said also shocked. “Jeremy! What are you doing here”? He laughed a merry laugh “I was about to ask you the same question”. “I came to wish you a happy birthday, Jeremy” Juliana said with a sheepish smile. “So, happy birthday”! And Juliana gave him a big hug.

After they broke apart she said “Sorry that I kind of...you know...tripped over you...” “Miss Juliana, it is fine” Jeremy said, smiling. “May you please tell me why you are out here”? Juliana inquired. “Oh right! I always come here on my days off!” “Well, this is a very nice place to come to” Juliana said, looking around once more. “Juliana it’s great to see you. Thanks for coming out on my birthday”.

“Jeremy” Juliana started “I would have gotten you a present if you had given me any notice in advance”! She laughed then and Jeremy laughed with her. “I didn’t want you to get me anything, Miss Juliana” Jeremy said, still smiling. “You’re enough”. His face was serious now. “Jeremy” she warned “we’re not going there yet”. “I know, Juliana”

“Oh”! Juliana exclaimed suddenly and she sat frozen in the meadow, looking at something on the road in the distance. “Juliana, what is it”? Jeremy asked trying to follow her eyes. She turned back to look at him and said “My mother is coming home today from Richmond. Do you see that carriage? I believe that might be her”. “Ah yes, I see it now” Jeremy said. “Miss Juliana, that is such good news! I am so glad for you”! “Thank you, Jeremy” And she hugged him tight.

“But, I should be going.” Juliana said, getting up. “Your house is not too far from here, correct”? Jeremy inquired. “No” she replied. “It is just on the far side of the meadow”. “I’ll walk you there” he suggested as he got to his feet. “Jeremy, it’s fine. I can get there on my own” Juliana said, trying desperately to leave. “I insist” Jeremy said, and with that he took her hand and began walking back through the meadow with her.

“So, has your father found work”? Jeremy asked her after a long silence. “I do not know” Juliana answered innocently. “My mother did not mention my father. It makes me worrisome”. “You know,” Jeremy started, “My father, he works in a town near here, Newburyport, I believe. He works with the law. You know, a lawyer. Could your father do anything like that, because his company is looking for help”. Juliana jumped suddenly, startling Jeremy. “Is it true?!? My father is a lawyer, but he has had no luck in finding work around here. I do not believe he checked Newburyport, though”.

“Brilliant”! Jeremy exclaimed laughing. “That is just perfect! If he is here then we can tell him”! “And if he is not”? Juliana asked solemnly. “Then we mail a letter” Jeremy supplied.

By this time the two had reached the edge of the meadow. There was a carriage in front of the house but no one to be seen. Mama is probably unpacking Juliana thought.

Juliana and Jeremy stopped by a nearby tree before departing one another. “Happy Birthday, Jeremy” Juliana said once more. “Thank you, Miss Juliana for coming to see me”. “I still wish I could give you something to make your birthday special” Juliana said. “You’re a good friend to have, you know that” Jeremy said.

“Thanks, Jeremy. You are too.” Juliana responded. And then, without thinking about what she was doing, she wrapped her arms around Jeremy and kissed him. And he kissed her back. Their kiss was passionate and strong.

When they separated Jeremy said “That’s the best birthday present you could have ever given me”. He smiled heartily and Juliana smiled slightly and blushed immensely. “I’ll see you soon, Jeremy” she said. “Thank you, Miss Juliana” Jeremy replied. The two hugged and then Juliana walked onward to her house.

Jeremy stood by the tree and watched her until she entered the house. “You are one of a kind, Miss Juliana” he whispered. Then he walked back through the town until he reached his own house where his family waited for him.

Juliana entered her own home and found it the way they had left it, except that everything was covered in dust. “Mama”! Juliana cried. “Juliana”! Said a voice and Heather popped out from another room. Nate followed her. “Heather! Nate! How did you know Mama was going to be home? I just got the letter today and I wasn’t able to bring it to you and-

“Juliana” Nate said. “We have our sources”. He smiled at her and just then, Mr. and Mrs. Tussin came down the stairs. “Papa! Mama!” Juliana exclaimed. Once James Tussin got down the stairs Juliana ran to him and hugged him so tightly that he might break in half. “Juliana! God it’s good to see you, my sweet girl”! Mr. Tussin cried. “My God, look how much you’ve grown” he said stepping back to take her in. “You look exactly like your Mother” he said, then he turned and smile at Mrs. Tussin.

Then Mr. Tussin went over and embraced both Heather and Nate. “Oh! You two are so grown up”! It had been nearly two years since they had seen their father.

Mrs. Tussin then came to Juliana and hugged her and kissed her cheek. “Oh, Juliana, I’ve missed you! Did you get my letter”? “This morning, Mama” Juliana said waving the letter in the air. “I see it came later than I expected” Margaret Tussin said with a laugh. Then their mother went over to Heather and then Nate to see them.

“Oh Father!” Juliana exclaimed. “I have good news”! “Jeremy-oh you don’t know him do you. Well it’s a long story- anyways he said his Father works at a law office in Newburyport and they need more lawyers, Papa”! “It’s perfect” Juliana exclaimed.

The rest of that hour was spent catching up and hugging, laughing, and crying. “Mother, should we get our bags”? Heather asked politely. “Should we gather all our things from the Masterson’s”? “Oh yes, please do. And I shall come with you children, to thank them for their hospitality.” “James, darling, you stay here and relax” Margaret Tussin called over her shoulder as she put her shawl on. And with that the Tussin children and their mother set out towards the Masterson’s household.

The group walked briskly through the town until they reached the large Masterson home. Nate stepped up and knocked. Eve answered the door like always and welcomed the guests in.

The four of them walked in and the Tussin children went upstairs to pack their things while Mrs. Tussin was shown to Mrs. Masterson in the living room. When she entered, Sarah Masterson got up and walked toward her to embrace her. “My goodness, Mrs. Tussin”! She exclaimed. “I am so glad you are back in town”! “How are you? How is your husband?” Mrs. Masterson asked concernedly.

“We are both fine, Sarah” Margaret Tussin said. “Thank you for your concern. I have come to thank you for your kind and decent behavior in keeping my three children safe and sound, as I hope you know, I would have done for Timothy if need be”. “Oh! You are most welcome, Margaret!” Mrs. Masterson said. “They are lovely children and have touched our hearts. Any time you need us just come.” “Thank you” Mrs. Tussin said shortly.

At this time the three Tussin children appeared in the entrance of the living room. “Hugs?” Mrs. Masterson asked, and in turn she received hugs from the children who had been her guests for so long. “Goodbye Nate, Juliana, Heather. It was a fine time having you here.” “Thank you, Ma’am” the three said in unison. And with that the group left and headed back through the town up to their own house.

Juliana stood just outside the door for a moment and looked up at the window, where she knew that Jeremy’s room was. At that moment, she thought she saw his face peer down at her, smile and disappear. “Juliana”! Her mother called. “Coming” she said racing to catch up with them.

“Mother, did you know that Tim got married already”? Nate asked. “Yes. Juliana wrote to me all about it”. “Tim is going to be eighteen soon” he said. “My! He’s not even eighteen! I don’t want any of you marrying so young!” Mrs. Tussin exclaimed. “None of us are ready for that, Mama” Heather said. “Mother” Nate said, interjecting, “I would like to ask you if I may court a very nice young lady”.

Juliana and Heather both looked at each other and smiled. “Who”? Mrs. Tussin asked cautiously. “The schoolteacher Jen Bronsley” Nate replied carefully. “Well, Nate, from what I’ve heard, she’s a nice girl, but you’re going to have to ask her parents not me” Margaret Tussin told him with a wink. “Her house is just up the road here,” Nate said. “Then go”! His mother said, with a wave of her hand. His sisters were giggling the whole time. Mrs. Tussin silenced them as Nate departed from the three women and headed toward the brown house that had sheltered him in the dead of winter.

“Nate! Oh, come in, please”! Jen Bronsley was greatly surprised at Nate’s arrival. Jen looked around the house, made sure no one was around, and kissed him on the cheek. “Nate, what are you doing here”? She whispered. “I need to talk with your father” Nate said seriously. “Nate! Is something wrong”? Jen asked, concerned. “Nothing is wrong” Nate said smiling. “On the contrary”.

“You are sure”? She asked, still uncertain. “Positive”. “Come with me” Jen motioned to follow her. “My father is in the parlor”. When the two entered the parlor, Mr. Francis Bronsley looked up from his paper and had a puzzled look on his face. “Jen, who is your friend”? He inquired. “This is Nathan Tussin” Jen said. “Oh, please sir, call me Nate” Nate said. “Everyone does”. “Okay then, Nate” Mr. Bronsley said. “What do you wish”. “I wish to speak with you sir,” Nate said solemnly.

“Jen, will you please...” her father motioned for her to leave the room. She obliged and Mr. Bronsley invited Nate to sit across from him. “What is it son”? Nate still stood. “Sir, I would like to request permission to court your daughter” Nate said. “Excuse me”? Mr. Bronsley asked as if he had not understood. “I request permission to court Jen” Nate repeated. “Does she care for you, Nathan?” “Yes I believe she does very much, as I care for her”. “I don’t believe she’s ever mentioned you” Mr. Bronsley said musingly. “Ask her yourself if you do not believe me, sir, but we are in love”.

“How old are you, son”? Francis Bronsley asked. “Sixteen, sir. However I will be seventeen in August”. “About her age, then” He said. “You may ask her, Nate. You do seem like a fine young man”. “Thank you, sir! Thank you very much”! Nate was ecstatic with excitement.

Nate ran out of the parlor and called for Jen. He found Jen outside the house in the small vegetable garden. “Jen come with me, please” Nate said trying to control his excitement. He grabbed her hand and ran with her, as she stumbled after him. “Nate where are you going”? “You’ll see” he said looking back at her with a smile on his face.

They ended up in the woods underneath a great willow tree. “Nate. What are you doing taking me here”? He kissed her long and hard. And once they had separated he said “Your father has given me permission to court you!” She brought Nate to his feet, wrapped her arms around him and kissed him. “Oh Nate, I am so happy! This is perfect.” He held her in his arms and Jen whispered “Nate. I love you.”

***

Later that evening, when Nate had told everyone the outcome of his experience, they all congratulated him and were very excited about the prospects of the courting. Juliana hugged Nate and then felt Heather on top of her. Papa came around his back and Mama surrounded them all. This is a good time Juliana thought. A time where family comes together and love can be found anywhere.

The rest of that year went on well and fine. Mr. Tussin got the job in Newburyport that he needed to provide for his family. Mrs. Tussin worked hard each day, keeping her children in line and educated and seeing that everything in and out of the house was taken care of, including the horses. Nate spent as much time as he could with Jen and worked as the schoolhouse caretaker. Heather, who told their parents about Peter, saw him openly now.

And one day Juliana was sitting high in a tree in the meadow at the edge of town. She loved the view. She could see everything. She sang a soft lullaby to herself as she watched the summer open around her. “Miss Juliana”! Called a voice. The voice was faint. Juliana looked down to see Jeremy’s handsome face looking up at her. “I was hoping I might find you here” Jeremy said with a smile. “Will you come down”? “Why don’t you come up”? Juliana teased. But Jeremy did come up.

Jeremy climbed the tree with difficulty until he managed to get to the sturdy branch Juliana was sitting on. “I haven’t seen you in town lately” he said. Juliana replied “No, you haven’t. Raven’s hoof has been lame and it’s been too hot to walk the whole way down and back. Jeremy I’ve missed you terribly”. “Miss Juliana, I’ve missed you too”. “I’m glad you’re here”. “Juliana...” Jeremy started but she silenced him with a kiss.

They intertwined themselves to each other and kissed as Juliana had never thought she would before. Juliana thought about her life and where she was at the moment and thought: This is where I was always meant to be. Now and forever.

The End