The Luck of the Draw | Teen Ink

The Luck of the Draw

By MissUnknownWriter, El Paso, Texas
MissUnknownWriter, El Paso, Texas

"Why can't Romeo and Juliet be put into the 21st century? Like seriously, no one kills themself over someone they've known a week. They just trash talk them on Facebook."

As I looked out the water-streaked window, I watched as the ocean roared on this rainy New Jersey day.
I had just moved here for sunny Arizona, Let me tell you, I was less than happy about the thought of starting my junior year at a new high school trying to make friends an fit in.
I blew on my window, my breath leaving a fog mark. I drew a heart with my finger just thinking of home.
“Echo honey’ are you excited about your first day of school?" I answered with as much sass as I had, “Oh yes mother, it will be oodles of fun!” I rolled my eyes dramatically and shifted my gaze back outside the window.
“Echo I don’t know what your problem is. This will be good for us. So many kids would be happy for a new start, an adventure!” she answered with a bit less cheerfulness.
“Yeah and so many kids usually have a fathers to enjoy it with,” I replied back angrily.
She looked at me through the rearview mirror but I refused to meet her eyes. She huffed and didn’t say anything more, when she dropped me off; I looked up at my new school.
“Well here goes nothing.” I muttered to myself. Instead of pulling out my schedule, like most new kids do, I walked through the halls cool and collected. I had already studied my schedule and a map of the school so I was good to go. I didn’t need to call any extra attention to myself.
I rid behind a curtain of red hair and tried to scoot by unnoticed. My first class was AP United States History (APUSH as I call it). I was heading there completely focused on just making it through the first day. I pulled out my phone and sent a text to my best friend Cody back in AZ. He always made me feel better.
Me: It’s raining here! Can you believe this s***? I hate rain :(
He replied back in less than no time.
Cody: count yourself lucky Echo girl. It’s hotter than Satan’s balls here. Hang in there Squirt; I know you’ll make it. :)
Even the shitty mood I was in, I had to crack a smile at Cody’s remark about Arizona’s crazy heat. Oh how I missed it... I was about to reply but I crashed into a big broad chest sending me, arms flailing, to the floor.
The stranger caught me right before I feel. I was so flushed, heat rushed to my cheeks, and it didn’t make I any better I was a red head. I straightened myself out and finally looked up into the face of the idiot who crashed into me.
As I looked up, I was staring into the most handsome face I had ever seen.
Metallic blue eyes pierced mine and a goofy smile lit up his face. My breath caught. Well isn’t he gorgeous...
“You okay Red?” He flashed me another heart melting smile with those pearly whites of his. Now, most girls would probably have melted and started giggling. Oh, but not me. All my ears heard were his voice repeating Red, Red, Red.
I hated when people made comments about my hair. It pissed me off so. Strawberry Short Cake, Carrot, Red, Fire Crotch, I have heard it all. Let me tell you, I didn’t find it funny. So instead of drooling I replied sarcastically sweet, "What did you call me?”
His smile didn’t falter, as he looked me up and down, “I called you Red. You know ‘cause of this flaming hair.” He reached up and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. My cheeks burned, but not for the reason you’d think. I was angry. How dare he touch me?! He didn’t even know me.
He continued on, “My name is Jessie, Jessie Adams.” He stood there grinning; quite a lot of girls were looking our way with big adoring eyes. I waned to gag. I was about to open my mouth as I took a look at the guy standing next to him.
I hadn’t noticed him until now. He too was very good looking. He had windblown jet-black hair and stormy blue eyes. He had one hand in the pocket of his faded jeans, and he was glaring... glaring at me. I almost took a step back at hoe intensely he was glaring; his mouth was almost a sneer.
I shook my head and focused my attention to what Jessie was saying. “I’m basically the king of this school; king of sports, king of student council, and king of hearts, if you know what I mean. I see you’re new here.” I gave him a quizzical look. How did he know I was new? He must have read my face because he continued.
“I’d remember a gorgeous face like yours.” Oh brother. “So if you’d like a personal tour guide, I’d be happy to show you around.” He winked. I had the urge to puke. Was he serious? Sure he was good looking, but come on!
I stopped him from going on with one hand raised, “My name’s Echo, not Red.”
He looked confused, like he was appalled that I had interrupted him. “Excuse me?”
“Yeah you heard me. I don’t like being called Red, and thanks for the invitation, but I can find my way around by myself thanks.” With that, I side stepped him and flipped a long piece of red hair over my shoulder.
Don’t look back/
I walked into APUSH and took a seat in the back, once again trying not to call attention. I pulled out my copy of Hawk song and began to read. Kids started to file in; luckily no one dared to sit next to the “crazy read head”.
The last bell rang and the teacher walked in. The first thing I noticed was his gigantic nose, I couldn’t help but giggle a little bit. He had to be at least 6’2” and resembled the BFG quite a bit.
“Hello,” he boomed in a deep masculine voice. If kids weren’t awake before, they are now. “I’m Mr. DeBruin and I’ll be you’re AP U.S History teacher for the year.”
He was about to go on but the door opened and in sauntered Mr. Stormy Eyes, Jessie’s friend. He gave Mr. DeBruin a pass and lounged lazily to the seat left... next to me. I noticed every girl straightened u in their seats and started batting their eyes like crazy. He ignored most of them, and gave a wink to a few causing them to about melt into puddles onto the floor.
As he saw me sitting there in the corner, his eyes narrowed. I was taken aback. I had never seen this guy in my life and he had this mysterious grudge on me... I wonder if he hates red heads... I shook my head and continued reading my book. I knew all I’d get out of today’s classes were lectures about class rules and expectations so I didn’t bother to pay attention.
I read in peace for about half an hour until I felt someone looking at me. I looked up, and sure enough Mr. Stormy Eyes had his eyes on me. Those hurricane eyes... He made no effort to look away; he sat there gazing at me. It made me really uncomfortable but I refused to back down, I stared right back. His eyes narrowed; oh boy he’s gonna glare at m again... but instead he did something peculiar and raised his left eyebrow and smirked at me as id to say “Touché” Then he looked away. I continued to stare dumbfounded. He just sat with a hand i his leather jacket staring blankly at the board as if nothing happened.
My attention was snapped back to the present as the bell shrilly rang. He got up without a word and headed out. Well that was weird...
My next class was pre-calculus. I hated math with a passion, just my luck to be actually good at it. I swiftly made my way around the crowed halls and once gain was the first to enter the class. I headed to my usual spot in the back, and pulled out my book once again.
I became aware of someone coming and plopping down in the seat next to me.
“Hey Red.” Oh God, please don’t do this to me. I looked up from my book; and sure enough there was Jessie in all his gorgeous glory. His golden hair... Those metallic blue eyes... I was mesmerized for a second and then I snapped out of it.
“I thought I told you not to call me Red.” I said while looking back down at my book and avoiding eye contact with him
“Yeah I heard you, but I usually get my way eventually.” I didn’t even look up to see he was smiling. I rolled my eyes.
“You have a nice profile, you know that?” He whispered into my ear low and husky.
I was so startled I looked up and found his face literally three inches from mine. I inhaled deeply. He let out a hearty laugh and leaned back in his seat, while resting his hands behind his head.
I tried to control the blush creeping up my neck to my cheeks, but I couldn’t help it, so I decided to hide behind the sanctuary of my book.
“Good morning! I’m Mrs. Butler! I’ll be your Pre-Cal teacher.” As I looked up, I saw a peppy hyper... red head. I was ecstatic. Well this should be interesting. A red head... as my math teacher... ha!
Obviously the other kids were thinking the same thing because their eyes widened as they followed her as she bounced around the room. I shook my head; maybe this wasn’t going to as bad after all. Little did I know I spoke too soon.
“So class, you’ll be happy to know that I LOVE having you work in partners! Say hello to the person sitting next to you because they’ll be your partner for the rest of the year!” She clapped her hands excitedly. I didn’t even bother looking; I knew Jessie was smiling wickedly at me.
“So, to start off the year, I’ll have you take a practice test showing me what you learned last year in math. Don’t worry this isn’t for a grade and I’d like you to pull your desks together with your partner and begin working.”
I groaned silently. As the papers were being passed out, I scooted my desk closer to Jessie’s until they were touching; he leaned in toward me and said, “I’m looking forward to having you as my partner this year Red.” His cool, mint breath tickled my nose as I fought to keep my composer for him calling me Red.
I picked up my pencil and started to work quietly, thankful that I knew everything on this sheet. He started to work as well, obviously knowing what he was doing. We worked in silence, but I was extremely aware of his muscular forearm rubbing against mine. Damn it Echo, don’t you dare blush.
I tried to ignore it but I peeked at him out of the corner of my eye. Unfortunately for me, he was staring. The corners of his mouth turned up into a smile.
“Has anyone ever told you that inside those bright blue eyes, you’ve got little specs of dark blue splashed in them? They’re really neat.” He smiled.
“No one has ever told me that, I’m surprised that you noticed,” His smile only got bigger. "Oh and thank you.” I whispered.
“You’re welcome Red.”
I turned to look at him again, he was trying his hardest not to smiles. It looked like he was about to burst out laughing. I surprised myself when I did it for him, and started to laugh. He looked astonished for a minute but quickly joined in.
“You look ridiculous trying not to laugh.” I giggled, “You’re face was turning purple.
He chuckled with me, after we stopped laughing; he just kept smiling at me. I looked down embarrassed the looked back at him and smiled brightly back.
Our little moment was interrupted as the bell rang. He quickly gathered his stuff and got up. I thought he was going to leave without a goodbye but he tapped me on the shoulder, I couldn’t turn around because his cheek was pressed lightly against mine and his lips were on my ear.
“We’ll definitely get to know each other this year Red,” he murmured softly, and with that he got up and left. I was so stunned I couldn’t even move. Goosebumps flared out on my arm and my cheeks were fully heated. How does he have this affect on me already? Oh boy... this is going to be a long year.
Third period, Ceramics, was uneventful it was my fine arts credit for the year, what can I say?) The hour and 45 minutes flew by, as I found myself heading to lunch.
I found an empty table and set down my pizza and apple. I looked around the cafeteria. I told myself I was only scanning for the hell of it, but I knew who I was looking for. Sadly, there was no sign of Jessie.
There was a big hoot from the jock table; obviously they were having an eating contest. How gross. All the players were focused on the contest being held, but two stormy eyes were looking straight at me. I fought the urge to look behind me to see if he was staring at someone else, but for some reason, I knew that look, and I knew it was for me.
He smirked slightly and then turned his attention to the contest. He’s so weird.
I took out my book and read all lunch period, not calling attention, merely being an ornament of another student in the cafeteria.
As I walked into AP Chemistry I remembered it was on the second floor, and here I was sauntering to class. I began to pick up my pace and skipped up the stairs. AS I walked into the chilly room I noticed Jessie in the back, he had his hand on the stool as if holding it for someone.
He couldn’t possibly.
But he did, as he looked up a saw me, he waved me over. I shakily stepped down the aisle as I got nasty glares from all the girls in my class. I sat on the stool next to Jessie and smiled politely. He gave me a flash of those sparkling teeth and my stomach erupted in butterflies.
We spent class shooting each smiles at each other and free glances, the heat rising in my cheeks every time he looked at me. I was even rather disappointed when the bell rang telling us it was time to go.
As I turned to go he gently grabbed my hand, “I’ll see you tomorrow Red.” He held my hand a little longer than necessary and then he turned and left, once again leaving me with raging butterflies in my stomach.
Whoa there girl, calm down... he’s just a guy.
A really hot guy... I answered myself. I sighed and made my way to my next two classes. I had decided to take AP Psychology, it looks good on resumes and I heard it was fun, so why not?
As I entered my eyes landed on Stormy (that’s what I decided to call him, since I didn’t know his name.) He was sitting in the back with his feet up in an empty seat, the only vacant seat in the back for that matter. When he looked up and smirked at me, I knew he’d done it on purpose. I wasn’t about to back down so I made my way over there.
I cleared my throat, “Would you please move your feet?” I asked a little too sweetly showing him two could play this game. He obviously wasn’t expecting me to have the balls to ask him to move because he nonchalantly took his feet down without further thought to the matter.
I sat down, score one for Echo.
The teacher walked in, I was surprised to see a rather short pretty pixie like teacher walk cheerfully in. “I’m Mrs. Logan, and I’ll be your Psych teacher. This class isn’t your ordinary class my friends, this class you will find not only yourself, but you’ll find something in each other.” Whoa, way to give us a voodoo speech on the first day. Who hired this nut job?
Apparently I wasn’t the only one who thought so because all the other students were sinking lower into their seats and avoiding eye contact with Mrs. Logan. As class went on she made us play the “Name Game” saying it was important that we get to know one another. I was second to last to go. I stood up clearly said, “Hi I’m Echo Reynolds.” I noticed all the guys’ attention on me and all the girls shooting daggers. I pulled at my short shorts uncomfortably.
“You may sit down Echo. Chase Person, what would you like to tell us about yourself?”
He stood up; he was at least 6’3”. “Well my name is Chase, but everyone calls me Ace.”
A jock sitting in the front of the room hooted, “The Ace of Hearts.” Ace returned it with a smug smile that said, “You know it” and by the way the other girls were looking at him. He was definitely seemed like “The Ace of Hearts.”
Ace, hmm, it fit him well... I was stopped in mid-thought as that dang bell rang again. I sighed, happy that my day was finally coming to an end. My last period was AP English III. Writing had always been my favorite; I could whip up an essay in no time, and write you a creative story in less than five minutes. It was my forté.
I made my way a little faster to English and stepped into a colorful room stacked with millions and millions of books. I was in heaven. I set down my stuff in the back seat and went to skim the shelf, science I had a couple of Perfect Chemistry an amazing book if I do say so myself.
“That’s a very good book, one of my favorites.” I looked behind me to see a beautiful young teacher, maybe fresh out of college in her mid-twenties.
I smiled; I knew I was going to like her already. “It’s one of my favorites as well.”
She extended a hand, “I’m Ms. Larson. It’s a pleasure to meet you...?”
“Echo Reynolds,” I replied and offered her my hand.
She took it with a warm smile and said, “I can already tell we’ll have a great year together Miss Echo.” She winked at me and walked over to greet the incoming students.
I turned around and there sitting in the seat next to me was Ace. I couldn’t believe it. Two out of my six classes I had with Jessie, and three out of my six classed I had with Ace. I only had one free period to myself. Why do you even care? It’s not like Ace talks to you anyway. This was true, I could deal with him.
I sat attentively listening to every word Ms. Larson said. I wasn’t going to betray myself and look at Ace. The class period went by fast as the last bell rang. My day was over. Thanks God, I don’t think I could have handled anymore.
I was about to make my way to the front when I forgot I had t stop by my new locker and put my heavy books in. I headed toward my locker 1014. 1014. There it was. I put in my combination and gasped at what I saw.
Twelve bright velvet red roses sat perched in a vase wrapped by a royal blue ribbon. There was a folded paper tied into the ribbon. As I unfolded, a playing card fell out. I turned the playing card over. King of Hearts.
The note simply said:
Red-
Can’t wait to see you tomorrow. Hope you like these, they reminded me of your hair.
Jessie
I smiled and looked down at the playing card. King of Hearts, huh? He sure knew how to play his game well. I delicately grabbed one of the roses and touched it to my nose. Mmm, the sweet scent, I thought to myself... Yeah he knew how to play his game well... and for now... I just might let him win.

Writtingisamazing BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania

Act as if what you do makes a difference because it does!

Wow I could not stop reading this was amazing please write more

Wow amazing please write more!!

nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

Ok. I love this.

PLEASE WRITE MORE!!!

I love the idea of the cards, it's very original and definitely worth writing about. The characters of Chase intrigues me.

<3