Example Of A Complicated Love Life | Teen Ink

Example Of A Complicated Love Life

By lyric_gonzales GOLD, Batangas, Other
lyric_gonzales GOLD, Batangas, Other
17 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Author's note: My classmates inspired me to write this piece. They always talk about love and now great it must be to have a boyfriend. I hope that people will learn that handling a relationship is not easy. Even if your boyfriend is not an actor, things are always complicated.

ZAHN

Hey, my name is Zahn Kylie Spicer, but just call me Zahn. Everyone calls me Zahn for one reason, they think I’m a guy. My hair is cut short because my mom wants me to “try” the haircut that she thought “it’s what makes you look clean.” But either way, I love sports. I am a basketball player at school for the EAST State Knights school team.

“Zahn, catch!” Carla said as she threw me the ball. I caught it and ran across the court, I passed the ball to Hailey, our team captain, and she scored a two-pointer just as the horn rang to end the game. It was our big night to play with the undefeatable West State Lions, but their title was taken off by our team. Because the undefeatable got defeated by 2 points, which was close call. The crowd roared in cheer and some ran to the court to congratulate us. Our coach threw a big party at the gym for us. I was eating spaghetti with Ben, when my Aunt Millie called. “I need you here, dear. The diner is packed,” she said.
“Yes, I’ll be there right away,” I shouted over the phone.
“Who’s that?” Ben asked.
“It’s Aunt Millie. She needs me at the diner right away.”
“I’ll drive you.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah.”
“First things first, we’ve got to finish eating the spaghetti or Coach Kelley’s going to give us a full length of her ‘Don’t waste your food’ discussion.”
“She would’ve been cool if she has the full coach-like attitude, not the motherly one.”

Ben is my best friend who was also the guy in our team’s mascot costume and the bass player in our band, Maximum. While we were on our way to the diner, Ben told me about someone staying at their house for the vacation. “He always stays at our house during vacation. He’s a good guy so I have no problem staying with him. My grandfather said that his friend might bring his grandson with him. I hope we get along.”

“You meant old man Greg?”

“Yeah, how did you know his name?”

“I had a good talk with him last year. He was nice.”

“I told you.”

“Well, I’m sure you will get along well with his grandson. If his grandfather is a good guy, I’m sure he’s a good guy too.”

I said as I went out of his car. “See you tomorrow.”

“See ‘ya.”

My Aunt Millie’s Diner is called the Beat. My family loves music so they enjoy the beat, but don’t ask why Aunt Millie doesn’t work as a musician or singer and got stuck on a diner.
When Ben and I got to the diner, we couldn’t make our way through the crowd easily. I don’t actually know why of all days is the diner packed with customers, but it does have an advantage: more money comes in. I changed my clothes and took orders from tables.
Two hours passed by and the crowd begun to calm down and minimize. After a few minutes, they’re all gone. I rested for a bit just as another customer walked in. I stood up before he can see me and think that I’m such a lazy employee. He sat at a seat near the counter. The other employees were inside the dressing room, resting, so I that leaves the customer up to me.

“Welcome to the Beat Diner. How can I help you today?” I started.

“Can I have your specialty here, please?” He replied.

“Sorry, we don’t have any special recipes but if it’s okay I suggest the hamburger meal. It comes with fries and your choice of drink.”

“I’ll have one of that.”

“Okay, what do you want for your drink?”

“Could I have tea, please?”

Tea with Hamburger? You have got to be kidding me. I thought.

“We don’t have tea here. It’s not on our menu, actually.” I pointed at the menu board behind me.

“Then I’ll have… Coke.”

LOGAN

“I’ll give up everything I have, just don’t leave me.” I said.

“Sorry, but I can’t take this anymore. It’s over.” She said as she walked away crying.

“And… CUT!” the director said. “That’s a wrap, everybody. We’re all done here.”

“Nice job.” My manager came up to me. “We’re out of here. It’s vacation time.”

“Can’t wait to go surfing again?” I guessed.

“You bet.”

“Or maybe, you can’t wait to date hot girls on the beach again?”

“Oh yeah, the moment of freedom is here and so are the hot chicks.”

You see, life as a celebrity is not at all that great. Sometimes, you wanted to be alone but you can’t because of the paparazzi. For example, you have a really private problem and it just gets spilled out until it isn’t private anymore. And it’s even harder if you’re in the entertainment industry since you were born.
By the way, I am Logan Cole. My dad was a famous celebrity and was a fashion designer but they died in a plane crash when I was 8, and I was already famous. I am living with my grandfather now but he isn’t a celebrity.
He would always tell me about places he always visits. I couldn’t visit those places because I am always booked with appointments and jobs. I am kind of looking forward to this vacation because Grandpa invited me to come and join him to visit places that I couldn’t see on set. I always wanted to know how it is to live normally. It’s not that I hate being famous, with all your fans supporting you, but I want to try something I have never done before in my whole life. I want to explore the world and feel free to do anything without anyone misunderstanding you.

“Ready to go?” Grandpa said.

“Totally! I can’t wait to take a vacation.” I said excitedly.

“Great, then I need to warn you of your appearance.”

“What about it? I don’t look messy, right?” I inspected myself from the mirror.

“No, it’s just because you’re famous right?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“If you want to have your vacation peacefully unlike the other time where you hid inside the house all day because of your fans, you need a new image.”

“A new image? How?”

“First, remove the dye off your hair. Go back to black. And second, don’t dress too fashionably like you always do.”

“For an old man, you sure know a lot about this.”

“That’s because your father used to do this all the time.”

“He does?”

“Ever since he got famous, he was always asking me for help to find a way to reserve a relaxing day like a normal person. He disguises himself and even changes his name, and that’s how he met your mom.”

“So all I have to do is act normal, right?”

“Yep. Like all people do.”

We travelled from LA to Minnesota, my hometown and headed straight to my Grandpa’s friend’s house.
“Hey Greg, how’re you doing?” Will, my grandfather’s friend said.
“I’ve never felt better.” Grandpa said.
“I see you brought your little boy this vacation.”
“Well, you could say he’s still a boy. He’s got quite the attitude.”
“I hope you’ll enjoy your stay here at our house. It’s not much but I hope it’ll make you feel at home.” Will said to me.
“Don’t worry about it. We’ll be fine.” Grandpa said.
“I’m home!” A boy about the same age as me went in the house.
“Ah, there’s my boy. Ben, come over here.” Will said as he pulled the boy to his side. “Ben, I would like you to meet Logan, Greg’s grandson.”
“Hey.” I reached my hand out to him.
“Nice meeting you.” Ben said as he shook my hand.
“So, like I told you, Greg and Logan will be staying here. So I’d like you two to get along with each other.” Will told his grandson.
Ben invited me to come along with him to his friend’s diner to eat. He said he always eats there. But after he parked in front of the diner, he said he had somewhere he has to go to so I went in the diner first. A girl greeted me and took my order. The food there wasn’t something you could see on the menu of the restaurant where I used to eat in Hollywood. I had a hard time ordering what to eat.

ZAHN

While the weird guy was eating his obviously-picked-by-me-order, Ben came in the diner. “Hey, what’s up?” he said. I tried to give him a not now expression, so he just sat down beside the weird customer and ordered his usual meal. “So, you’ve met old man Greg’s grandson?” he said. “Not yet.” I said as I was cleaning the bar.
“But you just took his order earlier, right?”
Then I just realized what he meant, “You mean…”
“Yup, this is Logan.”
“Hey,” Logan waved. “Nice meeting you.”
“Yeah, me too.” Then I turned to Ben, “You should’ve said that earlier.”
“You didn’t ask.”
“Like I’d know he’s just going to step in here and order tea that comes with hamburger.” I whispered to him.
“Tea?” He observed Logan, “He’s sipping Coke.”
“That’s because I told him we don’t serve tea here.”
We both turned him and smiled like nothing happened.

“So I was like, even though I hate Hailey for taking all the credit whenever we have a game, there’s nothing I could do but pass to her the ball and make her take the credit again this time.” We were talking about the basketball game against the WEST State Lions. Ben started all the conversation; he said I should’ve made the shot rather than Hailey. While Logan was just staring at us all throughout the conversation, looks like he’s not much interested in basketball.

“So, Logan, what sports do you like to play?” I started.

“Oh, I play hockey.”

“Really? Do you play hockey for your school’s team?”

“No, I just play whenever I feel like it.”

“Oh.”

Well, now I know he doesn’t like to play basketball. But I also like to play hockey, especially in ice rinks. That’s my second favorite sport. Good thing he isn’t into wrestling, because I don’t like bulky, greasy guys, and I’d say he’s kind of cute.

LOGAN

So I met Ben’s friend. She looked pretty cute, only that she has a really short hair. If only she didn’t talk to me, I would’ve thought that she’s a guy. She was this girl who plays basketball and just won some sort of competition or something. Then, she asked me a question I wasn’t expecting - “So, Logan, what sports do you like to play?”
I was kind of nervous. I can’t say that I don’t play sports because I’m a famous celebrity. Just then, I remembered that in one of the movies I started, I was a hockey player. So I ended up saying, “Oh, I play hockey.”
Then she asked me about hockey at school. No way am I saying that I am home schooling. My grandfather told me that if you tell other people you are home schooling, you are most likely to get many more questions until they discover your secret. So I told them, “Nah, I just play whenever I feel like it.” And that worked out well. No more other questions asked which was a relief.
The next day, Zahn invited me and Ben to go watch a movie with her. And guess what movie we watched. It was a movie starring me. I already knew what the story was all about, so I was bored. Ben and Zahn were watching my movie quietly and I don’t want to disturb them. I mean, it’s my movie, and they only have this chance to watch it, so I’ll let them enjoy themselves. And before I knew it, I fell asleep.

“Logan, wake up! The movie is over.” Zahn said, trying to wake me up.

“Man, you’re not much of a movie lover, aren’t you?” Ben said as we headed outside the movie house.

“Well, what do you like to do? We do want you to enjoy your stay here at Minnesota.”

“No, it’s okay. Don’t mind me. Do what you always do.” I told them.

“No, it’s not okay.” Zahn said, reacting like I hurt her feelings or something, she was about to cry.

“Why isn’t it okay?” I said, confused.

“Come on, we want to be your friends.”

“You can be my friends even if you don’t mind me. Please don’t start crying.”

“He’s right. Man, you don’t have to be a drama queen.” Ben interrupted. Good thing he did or I don’t know what might happen.

“Well, okay.” She said and her face cleared like nothing happened. Then Ben and Zahn gave each other hi-fives.

“What just happened?” I asked, now I’m really confused.

“Haha. You know Zahn is known as a great actress. She can save our butts out of trouble with her acting skills. You fell for that one didn’t you?” Ben explained.

I just stared at Zahn, who was giving me a wink. Maybe I could get Zahn to be in one of my movies. That would be interesting.

“Sorry, but we do want to be your friends. So if you want us to do what we always do, you should join us.” She said.

We entered an abandoned warehouse. There, two guys were playing video games.

“Come on you stupid car, go faster!” said the one, who was obviously about to lose.

“Haha, you can’t outrun me.” The other one said.

Zahn and Ben looked like they didn’t care about the two guys; instead they plugged all the musical instruments, the piano, bass, guitar and such on. Zahn spoke on the mic, “Hey, you two nerds, we have a guest here.” And the two so-called-nerds stopped playing and joined her. The four of them gathered and whispered to one another. And after that, they all got their instruments and started playing. “Listen to this, Logan.” Zahn started to sing.

Zahn had a really beautiful voice. She was pretty good at playing the guitar too. If I look carefully, I can see that she doesn’t only have the talent, but also the looks. She is really unique, in a nice kind of way. “Did you enjoy the song?” she asked.

“It’s great.” I said.

“Nice song, dude.” The blonde nerd said, and Zahn stared at him like daggers. “I mean, dudette, ma’m.”

“So, where’d you get the song?” I asked.

“She wrote it.” Ben pointed.

“So, now you know what we always do.” And she looked at the two nerds. “By the way, these are George and Hippie.”

“What’s up man!” George said. He’s the blonde nerd with glasses.

“Nice meeting you, dude!” Hippie is the one with orange, crazy hair and wears braces and glasses. These two nerds really need some advice with their looks.

ZAHN

I introduced Logan to our two great nerds: George and Hippie. You might think that they’re crazy nerds but they’re really fun to be with.
By the way, our band is called Maximum. We got that name from Ben. Ever since we discussed minimum and maximum in 5th grade, he started saying it whenever he wants to say if he likes something or not. Good thing he dropped it because my mom made us eat vegetable salad for lunch and Ben said, “Minimum.” So what mom thought was he likes the salad in the whole vegetable form, not in cut and dressed form, if you know what I mean. Mom gave him a potato and carrot.
So why is the band named Maximum? It’s because we love to have a band, so it’s a Maximum for us. And, it was supposed to be only me and Ben in the band but it won’t look like a band that way.
We decided to find other members for the group, and we found them at the Music club. The cool people who rock guitars there have a bad attitude so we have to stick with the nerds. Luckily, they can also rock out and all they need are training and total makeover. And by total, I mean they really have to work on their looks. But that’s easy because Ben and I are here to help them realize that they need it that badly.
Logan only seemed surprised at the beginning, whatever he was surprised at, but now he seemed bored. “So, you guys want to play something?” I asked.
“Oh, how about hockey?” Ben suggested.
“Oh yeah, that way, Logan could also enjoy his stay here.”
“No, it’s okay. You don’t have to play hockey for me.” Logan said.
“Actually, I’m not just good at playing the guitar for the band.” Ben proudly said. “And she’s not only good at basketball.”
“Or acting.” George said
“Or singing,” said Hippie.
“But also, in hockey!” They said altogether.
“Okay, he gets it. You don’t need to say it to him like that.” Then I turned to Logan, “So, what do you say Logan?”
I stared at him, waiting for his answer.
“Okay, I’ll play.” He said at last, and we all cheered.

LOGAN
I regretted accepting Zahn’s offer. I only know little about hockey, but I still got dragged into the game anyways. I only hope that I can make use of the skills I had in playing hockey for in one of my movies. I got paired up with Ben during the rock-paper-scissors game. Hippie and Zahn paired up. George stood as the scorer.
After a few minutes, Zahn got the puck into the goal. She was really hard to beat and she plays this game seriously. She didn’t even bother to brag about getting the puck in. After another few minutes, they won. The score is 3 for them and 1 for us. I actually got the puck in once with luck. At least that will show them that I know something about hockey, even if I don’t.
A few days have passed and I’ve been spending it with Zahn and Ben. One day, I got a call from my manager, Derek. He was asking me to cut my vacation and come back to L.A. for a special job. I talked to my grandfather about it, but he seemed upset about the news. I called back Derek, turning down the offer. He got really mad at me but I said, “I don’t want to upset my grandfather, so even if it’s just now, I’d like to have some time with him.” And that seemed to do the trick. This time, Ben was off to camp for a scholarship or something he was given. Now I have to spend my time everyday with Zahn.
“Hey kid, want to go picnic today?” My grandfather said.
“Picnic? Grandpa, why do we need to go picnic?” I asked.
“I don’t know. Maybe spend some time together. This is the only time we can do that before big jobs pile up for you.”
He’s right, as I hate to admit it. “Fine, but just this once. It’s kind of embarrassing.”
While we were on our way to the picnic ground, we saw Zahn reading a book under a big, shady tree. This was the first time I had seen her in blouse and skirt, since she was always wearing jersey and pants. I was planning on dragging Grandpa somewhere else before she sees us but Grandpa was the one that started something I didn’t want to happen. My Grandfather saw and greeted her. “Hello there, Ms. Spicer.”
As Zahn moved, it felt like the wind was moving with her. Now it seemed that I saw an angel.
“Zahn is okay, Old Man Greg.” She said as she smiled at Grandpa.
“You haven’t changed a bit since I last saw you.” Grandpa replied.
“You too, and it’s rare for you to go out, and it’s more rare to see you with your grandson.”
“So you’ve met Logan already.”
As soon as I heard my name, I realized that I have been staring at her for a while. “Huh? Oh yeah. Ben introduced me to her.” And she just smiled, the image of an angel coming back in my thoughts again.
“So, do you want to join us for a picnic?” My Grandfather asked Zahn.
“Well, if Logan’s okay with it.” Then she stared at me again.
“Sure, I don’t mind.” I felt myself blushing. What’s wrong with me?

ZAHN

I think Logan hates me. Whenever I look at him, he looks away. I didn’t know what I did wrong. I chatted with Old Man Greg for a long time and Logan didn’t say a word at all. I think Old Man Greg noticed Logan’s strange attitude. “I’ll just go take care of something. Logan, please keep Zahn company for a while.” The Old Man said and Logan just nodded.

We didn’t talk to each other for about five minutes, and that’s when I spoke up. “Do you hate me?” He looked shocked. “If I did something wrong, just say it. I’m not going to get mad.”

“Are you acting again?” He said.

“What do you think?” Now I was angry at him but I tried to be calm. Why won’t he answer my question?

“Look, I’m sorry. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Then what’s with the strange attitude?”

“Strange attitude?”

“You keep looking away from me and you won’t even speak, even though you’ve said ‘Yeah’ for about three times the whole picnic.”

“It’s not your fault. I just don’t know what’s wrong with me today.”

That’s when I stood up and walked away.

“What happened?” Old Man Greg said.

“I don’t know.” Logan said, confused about what happened.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me either.” I whispered to myself. I mean, why do I get angry whenever I see Logan. But I feel that he’s not the one I’m mad at, maybe I’m mad at myself.

“Honey, dinner is ready.” Mom shouted from the kitchen.
“I’m not hungry, mom!” I shouted back.
I was in my bedroom, lying on my bed while staring at the blank white ceiling. Well, the ceiling was blank but my mind wasn’t. My thoughts keep returning from that time when I met Logan, until now. I feel like I’ve seen him before, when I was a kid. And also, I think I’m kind of interested in him. Not because he seems familiar, but he looks like the cool actor in the movies. Well, I guess I have a little crush on him because of his cute face. What? He really is cute.

“What are you doing up there?” Mom shouted again.

“Nothing.” Uh-oh. ‘Nothing’ is a word you must not shout back at mom when she asks you that. ‘Nothing’ in our family means ‘Something.’ But it doesn’t matter anyway. I can’t focus on anything except Logan. I just felt bad for him. Maybe he has a problem or something, and then I got mad for no reason.
Then there was a huge banging at my door. I got up and ran to the door to get it. “What?” I shouted.
“Mom wants to know what you’re doing.” Alex said. Alex is my big brother. We’re two years apart, which means he’s 19. And one word that would describe him better: idiot.
“I’m doing nothing.”
“You know that word isn’t in our family’s dictionary. So you either eat dinner or let us know what you’re doing.”
“I’ll tell you what I’m doing. I’m lying on my bed and staring at nowhere and now I’m closing the door shut, so you don’t disturb me anymore.” Then I closed the door shut, just like I said.

LOGAN

What was that all about? I haven’t seen Zahn so mad before. And neither did I feel that way. I felt like she was important to me. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. Seeing her earlier, I felt the atmosphere changed into a calm and peaceful one. The way I acted, I recall in one of my movies, there was a scene like this. But it was only supposed to happen when the guy falls for the girl.
Could it be that feelings like that are true? Could I have fallen in love with Zahn Spicer? I tried to think I was just going crazy and I’m only feeling this way because I just met her. But my heart is beating so fast, and I could say I really am going crazy. I couldn’t think of anything but her right now.

I plopped down the bed and stared at the light bulb, maybe the light would make me think of something else. I stared at it real hard, my vision began to darken. I blinked for about two times, and then as I stared at the light bulb, Zahn’s face appeared. Okay, now I know something is wrong with my feelings for Zahn.

I tried to consult Grandpa and Will about it. I told them everything, but I tried to avoid telling them that it’s Zahn who I am talking about.

“Well, well, well,” Will chuckled, “Looks like the young man has fallen in love.”

“What does your character do in the movies when it comes to this situation?” Grandpa asked.

I thought about it for a moment. “When the guy goes crazy, he looks for the girl and confesses.”

I think I said something right because they both nodded. Well, even though I am a great actor, I don’t think I have the confidence to confess. But I can’t tell Grandpa that, he’ll just push me to do it. ‘Don’t let an opportunity slide,’ that’s what he always tells me. But just to be sure, I waited for Ben. He came home around 10 pm that night and told me he already had dinner at the diner, where Zahn works. And that made my heart beat fast again and my stomach do a flip.

“Hey, how was Zahn while I was away?” he asked.

“Uh… s-she’s fine, I think.” I stammered.

“You… think?”

“Well, we haven’t seen each other around while you were gone because Grandpa and I had picnic together.”

“You had a picnic… with your Grandpa?” He laughed.

“Yeah, I know. It’s totally embarrassing.”

“No, I just thought how your grandfather made it possible.” He began to have a serious look on his face. “Gramps and I never had a picnic together.”

Then I stared at him, trying to read his mind. Then he said, “You’re lucky to have a grandfather like that.”

I started to think about that, but then I remembered about Zahn. I tried to interview Ben about her, but tried not to be too obvious.

“What do you know about Zahn?” I asked him.

“What?” he replied, obviously shocked with what I had just said.

“I mean, you know, I don’t get along with her pretty well. I just wanted to know if there are things I can or cannot do with her, in front of her or maybe, to her?”

“Well, I don’t really know what you’re up to but I have some advice for you. Don’t make her feel bad about herself or make her mad, because she has a very short temper.” Then he patted me at the back and went to his room.

Well now I know why she acted like that. And I know I just made her hate me more after asking if she’s acting or not. I am such an idiot, and I realized it just now.

ZAHN

Ben ate at the diner late the night he came back. I tried my best to not let him notice I have a problem. I didn’t want to let him down because I know he thinks Logan is a very nice guy, not that I think that he isn’t. But he was great at guessing if I have something going on in my mind. “Is something wrong?” he asked.

I shook my head while mouthing the word, ‘No.’

“Okay, I know something’s up.” He said as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

Now I know I have no choice but to tell him. “It’s just lonely when you’re not here.” Okay, now that wasn’t even the truth of it all. “I hate you for making me say that.” But that last line was true.

“Sorry, you know I can’t reject a big time offer like that.” Then he gave me a hug. “I’m really sorry.”

“No, I’m sorry. Truth is, I am happy you got offered with something big like that.”

“Now case fixed. We’re both happy.” And he hugged me tighter.

Ben is like a big brother to me. Whenever Alex isn’t there to comfort me, he was there. And most of all, he reminded me of my dad.
My dad knows what I want and what I need. He was a good listener. But when I turned eight, my dad died in a car accident when he was coming home from a business trip.
It was my birthday and he promised me he’ll buy me a skateboard, which mom didn’t want me to have because she thought only boys play that kind of thing.
When the investigator came in our house with the horrible news, they brought the skateboard with them. It was already broken in half, but I didn’t throw it away. I would never throw it away because it was a gift from my dad.

We went to my grandfather’s house because the investigator said they left my father’s body there. Some of the people were crying, and I saw mom do the same.
Alex and I both looked at our father lying peacefully at his bed. Grandpa told mom, he isn’t ready to see dad in a coffin yet.
Alex shed tears, but he cried silently. While I stared at my father, I remembered the good memories we had. I cried, but instead of crying with a sad face, I tried to smile.
“Dad,” I said, “you always tell me, a girl looks beautiful when she’s smiling. I know I look horrible because I am crying right now, but I’m trying my best to smile so that you’ll still tell me that I am beautiful even if you’re in heaven. I know you’re still with me.” Then I put my hand at my chest. “You’ll always remain in my heart, dad.”
After that, I walked slowly towards the garden, then towards the riverbank. I remember my father always bringing me there and we’ll look at our reflections on the river together. I cried as I saw that only my reflection is there. But after a few seconds, I stopped crying. I stared at the water. I saw my dad’s face, smiling. I felt that he was drawing me in. Someone grabbed my arm just before I realized that I’m almost going in the water. “Woah! Are you okay?” a voice said. When I looked up, I saw a kid, the same age as me (I meant eight, not seventeen).
I didn’t answer.
He stared at me, as if waiting for an answer.
I only stared back at him.
After a few seconds of staring at each other, he hugged me tight. That’s when I started crying again.
“It’s okay.” He said. “I understand how you feel.”
“Really?” I said finally.
Then he nodded. “Both my parents died in an accident too.” His face began to look lonely. “Don’t feel sad, I know your dad doesn’t want to see you like that.”
“I know.” Then I smiled at him. “But you’ve got to cheer up too. I’m sure your parents don’t want to see you like that.”
“You’re right.”
We played around the garden, and I feel as if dad has been with me all the time that boy was with me. But just as the sun started setting, a man called the boy. He ran towards the man, but halfway there, he stopped and ran back towards me. He removed the necklace he was wearing and handed it to me. “Keep it.”
“Why are you giving me this?” I asked.
“So that we can see each other again. I’ll come back for you, I promise.” Then he ran off.
Now back at the present, here I am, lying on my bed. But I wasn’t staring at the ceiling anymore, I was staring at the necklace that boy back then gave to me. I had kept it like he told me to. It was a star with a circle around it. I never brought it outside ever since I almost lost it at school. I cried really hard and stayed at school until it was already dark. Alex tried to convince me to go home with him, but I insisted to stay. He helped me search for it. We found it hanging on the hook beside my chair. I didn’t know how it got there, but at least we found it.

LOGAN

I’ve decided. I’ll try to get in a good relationship with Zahn. If I confirm that I am falling in love with her, I’ll confess. If not, well, we’ll just see what happens.

Ben and I went to the garage and saw no one. The two nerds were not there. After a few minutes, Zahn showed up. “Hey guys! Sorry I’m late.” She was smiling like nothing happened. “Nah, you were just in time.” Ben told her. They were chatting like I wasn’t there, so I felt really out of place. I know if I interfered with their chat, Zahn would be really mad at me, so I stayed quiet.

“Hey,” Ben slapped me at the back. “Want to come with us this weekend?”

“Where to?” I asked.

“To visit Zahn’s dad, of course.”

I thought this will be a great chance to impress Zahn by impressing her dad. So I went along. “Sure.”

I should’ve known better. Grandpa and Will are coming with us to visit Zahn’s dad. I don’t think Grandpa will be of any help impressing Mr. Spicer.

We went somewhere familiar. I think I’ve been here when I was still a kid. An old man welcomed us as he let us enter. At the door, Zahn hugged the old man and I saw tears dripping from her eyes. “How have you been, Julius?” Grandpa asked the old man.

“Never been better.” said Julius.

I tried to hope that Julius is not Zahn’s dad. He’s the only person in this house, so who else were we visiting?

“Where are Maria and Alex?” Grandpa asked Julius again.

“They visited yesterday. Only little Kylie wasn’t with them.”

“Grandpa! I’m seventeen.” Zahn said. Grandpa? So that means Julius isn’t her dad, but where is he?

The three old men laughed altogether. “Sorry darling, when you last visited you were only this small.” said Julius, pointing at his hips.

I was still waiting for Zahn’s dad to appear but all of them just started chatting. I excused myself and went into a familiar garden towards a riverbank. When I looked at the water, I saw my own reflection. As I stared at my reflection, my face began to change in the water. The face right there was my reflection when I was still little. Then I remembered the place. The last time I went here was when I was about eight. I tried to look in the water a bit more, and then I saw a reflection of a girl. It was the girl I met here at the riverbank.

“Logan?” a voice called.

I saw Zahn standing behind me.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, sitting beside me.

“Nothing, just looking at my reflection on the water. It’s fun. You should try it sometime.” I told her.

“I’ve tried it a hundred times already.”

“How about you? What are you doing here?”

“I am trying to remember good memories that happened right here at the riverbank.”

“Oh. By the way, where’s your dad?”

Her face became serious. I think I said something I shouldn’t have. “Sorry, you don’t–“

“He’s gone. He’s long gone.”

Then there was silence. After a few minutes, “We should go back now.” She said.

As she stood up, something fell from her hand. “Hey, you dropped something.” I said as I reached for the shining object between the grasses.

“Sorry, I forgot I was holding something. Good thing you found it, or it would be lost again.”

The shining object was a pendant. It looked so familiar. Then I realized something, “Where’d you get it?”

“A boy gave it to me when my father died.”

“Is it possible that you met him at this riverbank?”

“How did you-?”

“I remember this pendant! I was the boy you met here.”

ZAHN

I stared at Logan. He did seem familiar. Could he really be the boy I met here? Without thinking, I hugged him tight.

“You came back! You finally came back!” I cried.

He didn’t answer, but I could tell he hugged me back. It was like the time back then. I felt great when he hugged me, like I can face any problems at all. It took me a minute to realize we were hugging each other and that its time to let go now. When I let go of him, he was smiling, and then my heart started beating faster.

We were doing pretty well after that incident. Whenever we see each other, we would chat and get to know more about each other.
Ben told me it was weird that Logan and me became friends instantly and insisted to tell him all about it. I told him about the time when I met Logan at the riverbank. He was really surprised about that because this is the first time I have told him the story.
I always avoided talking about my father’s death, that’s why maybe I didn’t talk to him about that wonderful meeting. He didn’t even know about the pendant. We were like family, the three of us.

Summer will be over in a week and Logan is leaving. I gave him a hockey stick keychain so that he’ll remember me. A day before he left, he called me to meet him at the garage. There, something unexpected happened. A table with two chairs was standing at the center of the garage. At the table, a lit candle stood there. I couldn’t find Logan anywhere. Just then, hands covered up my eyes. “Logan, is that you?” I asked.

Then those hands let go and Logan said, “Boo!”

“Okay, now what are you up to?”

“I want to have dinner.”

I creep up my eyebrows.

“I want to have dinner with you so I prepared all this.” He said, pointing at the table.

“You want to have dinner with me?”

“Yes.”

“In the garage?”

“Well, I don’t actually think this place is not a good idea for a dinner.”

“Okay.”

“What?” he said surprised.

“I said okay, don’t you want to have dinner with me?” I said as I walked towards the chair.

Logan ran towards me and behaved like a gentleman. He moved my chair so I can sit down, then he sat down at the other chair. A man, dressed like a waiter, appeared from behind him holding a tray. The waiter served a meal I don’t know, but it looks good. It was like a grilled steak with a special sauce. It was tasty, really delicious. We had a good chat while having dinner. He told me about his friends, his Grandpa and his hobbies. After dinner, we sat down at the couch. We were quiet for a few minutes, and then he held my hand. It was warm. I closed my eyes and gently rubbed his hands against my cheeks.
“Kylie,” he said. I let go of his hand and stared at him. I was surprised he called me by that name. Only my family calls me that. “There’s something I wanted to tell you,” he continued.

“What is it?” I asked, looking at his eyes.

He stared at me for a second then avoided making an eye contact. “Well,” he started.

I stayed quiet.

“We’re friends right?”

I nodded.

“Is it okay if we’re not friends anymore?”

That surprised me even more, “Why don’t you want to be friends? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, it’s because I want you to be my girlfriend!” he shouted, just enough to hear him through my loud heartbeat. “If that’s okay with you.”

I was stunned. I couldn’t speak. My heart was beating louder as I watch Logan stare at me, waiting for an answer. I tried to breathe, and then I cried.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Logan asked, sounding worried.

I shook my head and then said, “I am just so happy.”

“You mean it’s okay for you to be my girlfriend?”

I nodded and said, “Yes!”
“Yes!” He shouted. He hugged me tight then lifted me up and twirled around.

LOGAN

This is it, the moment of truth. And I can’t believe I did it, I asked Zahn Kylie Spicer to be my girlfriend! I’ve never felt this happy before in my life. I was so happy, I hugged her so tight. But before I could let go of her, she started crying again.

“Hey, come on. Stop crying. That’s too much happiness already.” I joked.

“You’ll be leaving tomorrow, right?” she cried in a small voice.

I nodded. I think I asked her to be my girlfriend at a wrong time. I tried to think of something to say to make her feel better. “Don’t worry, long distance relationships won’t be an obstacle for us, I promise, we’ll stay in contact with each other.”

“But it still means you’ll leave me again.”

“I promised a long time ago that I would come back for you, and I did right?”

She nodded.

“So I would definitely come back again.” I told her with full of confidence. I hugged her one last time.

Derek met Grandpa and me at the airport. We went back to L.A. and I was given lots of jobs. Turns out, these jobs were waiting for me. I didn’t have the time to take a break. I need to do these jobs before they pile up. Derek likes to accept offers and he doesn’t even ask me if I want to take that job or not. I only called Kylie when I got back to L.A. That was the first and I think was the last call I made.

Three months have already passed and the flow of my work calmed down. I called Kylie at her house, and she seemed mad.

“Hello?” Kylie said from the other end.

“Hey Kylie, I’m really sorry. I-“then she hung up.

I tried to call her again, but she keep rejecting. I didn’t stop until at last she answered.

“What?” she said angrily.

“Look, there was too much work piled up and I finished them all today.”

“You work?”

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about it?”

“Well…”

“You didn’t want me to know?”

“It’s not like that.”

“So you don’t.”

I didn’t speak.

“What work do you do anyway that you don’t want to tell me?”

“Don’t worry; I’ll let you know soon enough.”

Then she hung up again. This time I didn’t bother calling back. I know she needed space. And I knew she hated me for what I did.

ZAHN

I haven’t heard from Logan for three months and now he’s keeping secrets from me. I won’t forgive him for lying to me. But even if I won’t, I can’t let my anger take over me. I love him, and that’s enough reason for me to forgive him.

My mom invited Ben and Old man Will for dinner tonight. They appeared at our house with Roasted Chicken and wine. After dinner, Ben, Alex and I watched TV.

“And now, here comes news from Hollywood.” A woman reporting the news said. “It appears that known best pals Dan, Callan and Logan will be starring together for a new movie.”

“That guy Logan looks like the Logan we know.” Ben said. I’ve notice that issue for a long time already, so it’s no big deal.
“But there is also news from each of them. Callan announces that he’s engaged to his non-showbiz girlfriend, Yasmine. This relationship was unheard of until now. Some source said that they’ve been keeping their relationship from public for two whole years.”
“At least they didn’t let showbiz ruin their relationship.” Alex said.
“Dan was seen holding hands with a girl at a park. We have interviewed Dan about this issue, ‘That was my girlfriend. We had lunch then strolled at the park together.’ says the young actor. While the two members of the group are enjoying their wonderful love life, it seems that Logan doesn’t have any girlfriend. Let us hear what he has to say, ‘Well, I don’t have any plans. It’s okay with me if those two are in a relationship. I mean, I could just fall in love at the right time with the right person, right?’ And more issue for Logan is his hair. ‘I thought black looks cool.’”
“That boy is really having a hard time right now. Denying his girlfriend and his looks.” Will said.
“How can you tell gramps? The guy said he doesn’t have a girlfriend.” Ben said.
“Oh, and black looks cool.” Alex added.
“I thought you and Logan were in a relationship.” Will turned to me.
I didn’t speak. I just stared at Logan Cole on TV.
“Gramps, I think you mistook Greg’s grandson for Logan Cole.” Ben said.
“Maybe that boy forgot to tell you.” Will said.
“Forgot to tell us what?” I asked.
“That he’s a famous celebrity. Isn’t it obvious? The one on TV is him.”
Now that made me very angry. So that’s what he was lying to me about? Being a famous celebrity. It would’ve been okay if I learned it from him. But to learn it from TV, from old man Will? And he denied having a girlfriend. I understand that I would just ruin his reputation, but at least he could’ve trusted me. As much as I want to explode, I forced myself to calm down.
“I’ll just go to my room.” I mumbled.
No one stopped me from running away. I guess they understand what I feel about the situation. The only one who doesn’t understand me is Logan.

LOGAN

“Hey come on, bro. Cheer up!” Dan said.

“How can I cheer up when my girlfriend hates me?” I asked.

“I thought you don’t have a girlfriend?” Callan asked.

“Yeah, you said so at the interview.” Dan reminded.

“It was a lie, okay? If I told them I have a girlfriend, they’ll keep bugging me about it. I don’t want Kylie to be troubled. She doesn’t even know I’m a celebrity.” I told them.

“Oh, so that’s her name! What type of girl did you run to anyway? You couldn’t even trust her to know those things about you.” Dan said.

The telephone conversation with Kylie played in my head. “It’s not that I don’t trust her. I’m just afraid of what might happen if she knew who I really am.”

“If you’re afraid that if you told her from the very beginning that you’re Mr. Famous, she’ll be just like any other girl we had relationships with, who only want to be a Mr. Popular’s endorsed model to fame, then you shouldn’t have tried to be her boyfriend.”

“No, she’s different. I already loved her from the very beginning.”

“Then, take this advice from a very good pal: Trust means everything in a relationship.”

The next day, I tried to call her. Her phone was ringing, but she won’t answer. I didn’t give up. I thought maybe she’ll get annoyed and answer it like last time. At the 8th ring, someone answered the phone.

“Hello?” a guy’s voice called from the other end.

“Is Kylie there?” I asked.

“She’s sleeping. Who is this and what do you want?”

“Well, this is her boyfriend and I was supposed to talk to her about something important.”

“You mean you’re that Logan Cole from TV?”

“Wait, how did you know?”

“Will told us everything. Kylie’s upset, you know. She said she felt betrayed.”

“Look, please tell her I am really sorry. I was supposed to tell her but I wasn’t ready yet.”

“Well, good luck with that dude.” Then he hung up.

ZAHN

I think I’m over reacting to the situation. Okay I admit it, I am always over reacting. Maybe I should’ve calmed down and faced Logan. I should’ve never let my anger take over me. If I don’t do anything to solve this problem now, things will only get worse.

“Would you mind?” Alex said.

“What? I’m thinking here.” I shouted.

“Well, maybe you could think while sitting. I can’t watch TV when you keep walking back and forth in front of it.”

“Sorry.” I sat down at the sofa. “I just don’t know what I should do. You told me I should work on my temper, but I don’t think it will be of any help in my situation.”

“Sure it will.”

“How?”

“Your boyfriend won’t be afraid of you anymore.”

“What? Logan is… afraid of me?”

“Maybe, but he sounded like it over the phone. He sounded like he was speaking in an ice. His voice wasn’t still. If you know what I mean.”

“You talked to him? What did he say?”

“He said he was supposed to tell you but he wasn’t ready.”

“So, you’re telling me that he’s afraid of what might happen if I knew his secret.”

“Yeah, knowing you, you’ll be acting crazy and won’t talk to him for months like what you’re doing right now.”

“That’s it. I need your help.”

“Fine. What do you want me to do?”

“Help me control my temper.”

“How?”

“I don’t know. Tease me until I get mad then remind me of my temper?”

“I could do that. But I don’t want to see a flying pan again.”

“Oh, you won’t see anything flying starting now.”

Alex tried his best at making me mad. He even asked Ben to help him out. I tried to work on my temper for a week. Good thing Will gave me advice: Violence doesn’t solve anything, calm down and think before doing anything. Well, I really don’t know if I get violent whenever I get mad but it worked. Alex said I am doing a good job. Even if calling me ‘Denied Girlfriend’ was getting on my nerves. After that training, if you can call it that, I decided to call Logan. At the first ring, I counted 3 seconds before he answered.

“Hello?” Logan said.

“Um, Logan?”

“Kylie? Is that you?”

“Yes.”

“Kylie, thank goodness you called! I wanted to talk to you but-“

“I know, I didn’t answer your calls. Sorry about that.”

“No, it’s okay. I’m really happy we got to talk again.”

“Me too. So, how are you?”

“Well, I’m not really sure I’m fine.”

“Why?”

“Because I know you’re not fine yourself.”

I smiled. “I’m fine now. I guess I just over reacted when I found out you’re a famous celebrity.”

“You sure did. And another thing, I’m sorry I told the public about, you know.”

“It’s okay. I didn’t want to disappoint your fans anyway.”

I heard him laugh. “Well, what do you want me to do?”

I thought about it for a minute and said, “Don’t tell the public about our relationship yet. Until we’re both ready, we’ll figure this out.”

“Okay, I won’t tell anyone.”

“And, remember your promise.”

“Of course, I’ll surely come back for you.”

“And try to update me every time. I’d love to hear from you.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll call you everyday if I have to.”

LOGAN

Every day before I go to work, I call Kylie. One day, Ben called to tell me Kylie is sick. I was filming for my new movie that time. I panicked. I didn’t know what to do. I can’t help her when I am far away. I tried to beg Derek to book me a plane to Minnesota ASAP, but he said, “No” and ignored me. Without thinking, I ran outside the studio, Derek chasing me. I hopped on my car and drifted off, Derek still chasing me. He stopped at the studio’s gate, and I could see him cursing from the rearview mirror. I stopped by my house to find Grandpa. I found him at the kitchen table, sipping his coffee.

“Grandpa!” I called. He almost spilled his coffee in surprise.

“Well, you’re home early.” He said.

“We need to get to Minnesota now.”

“What?”

“Come on.”

“We can’t book a plane ticket that fast.”

“We’ll use my car. Now let’s go. We’ll talk about the situation on the way.”

I pushed Grandpa to the car. As much as I want to show respect to him for being old, I can’t help myself but push him, because now I’m in a hurry. I drove all the way to Minnesota, explaining all the details to him. He seemed to understand why I’m acting crazy. He knows I’m crazy, he even said so himself, “You’re crazy. You left the studio while filming a movie and you didn’t even pack a few clothes. Now, we’ve got nothing to wear.”

When we arrived at Minnesota, I drove straight ahead to Kylie’s house. Her mom let me in and directed me to her room. When I entered her room, she was sleeping. I looked at her mom for permission, she just nodded and left. I sat down at Kylie’s bed, just by her side, and held her hand. I rubbed her hand against my cheeks gently, then I caressed her, not letting go of her hand. She blinked, “Logan, is that you?”

“Yes, I’m here.”

“I thought you’re filming a movie.”

“I kinda blew it up. Did you know I ran away and drove all the way here just to take care of you?”

She smiled. “You’re crazy. And I was looking forward to that movie.”

“I didn’t have a choice. I didn’t want to leave you alone. And I know you missed me.”

“Don’t be so full of yourself, superstar.”

I hugged her tight.

Kylie’s mom let me stay at their house. Grandpa stayed at Will’s. I spent the night staring at Kylie’s face until I fell asleep.
The next day, I woke up from the feeling someone touching my hair. I looked up and saw Kylie sitting beside me on her sofa bed. She smiled at me, “Your sleeping face looks cute.” I leaned my head on her shoulder while she caressed me. Then the door suddenly opened. A guy, taller than me, peeked inside. “Oh sorry, I didn’t know you two are busy.”
“Alex!” Kylie reacted. Then the big guy left. I realized he was the one on the phone when Kylie found out about my secret.
“Who’s that?” I asked.
“That’s just my brother.” She said as she tried to stand up.
“Hey, slow down. You’re still in bad shape.”
“It’s okay. I can stand up.” After a few steps, she fell. Good thing I caught her just in time.
“Are you alright? You shouldn’t force yourself.”
“I’m fine. Just help me get to the bed.” She said. She looked like she was about to cry. I really feel sorry for her, being sick and all. She can’t even get out of the room.
“Sorry, I don’t want you to see me like this. I even blew up your big movie.”
“I told you, right? I’m here to take care of you.”

ZAHN

Logan took care of me for two days. On the third day, I didn’t bother waking him up that morning. I sneaked outside of my room and headed to the kitchen.

“My, look at you!” my mom said in surprise.

“I’m better now, thanks to Logan.”

“That boy really loves you, huh?”

“I can see that, mom. He loves me just as I love him.”

“So, where is that boy?”

“He’s still asleep.” Then I hugged mom and whispered, “Could I make him breakfast?”

“Sure. He’ll appreciate that a lot.”

Mom headed to the living room and I started working making breakfast. I cooked the all-time famous American bacon and egg with bread and some juice. I placed them all on a tray and brought them to my room. I tried to wake up Logan and he let out a moan.

“Wake up, superstar. I made you breakfast.” I said as I placed the tray in front of him.

“Are you feeling better now?” He asked.

“I feel great.”

He ate the breakfast I made for him like he didn’t eat for months. I laughed while watching him gulped down the juice. “It’s delicious!” he said with a mouthful.
“I see.” I said.
“What?” he asked before eating the bread. Then he realized he’s been eating like an angry wolf. “Oh, sorry.”
“You look cute.”
“I get that a lot.”
“Oh yeah, I forgot you’re a superstar.”
“Well, if I’m cute, you’re cuter.”
“I agree.” I teased and we were both tempted to laugh.

Logan and I had a date. We went to the mall and did some window shopping. We had lunch at the diner, even though it’s embarrassing being all sweet with Logan while Aunt Millie was staring daggers at us. We just ate quietly. She was staring at us as if something’s wrong. Then we got out of the diner immediately after eating. We strolled down the park, and there, we saw a big surprise. Logan’s friends, the two guys I saw on TV, were at the park with their girlfriends and two other men. Logan walked towards them and I followed.
“Dan? Callan?” Logan said.
“Logan?” Callan said, surprised.
“Dude!” Logan said as he gave the two guys hi-fives. “Why are you guys here?”
“We were looking for you, brat!” A tall, handsome man said to Logan.
“Derek.”
I walked towards them and stood beside Logan.
“Who’s this?” the so-called Derek said.
Logan looked at me and made a HELP kind of expression, and then he turned back at Derek. “She’s my cousin, Kylie.”
I didn’t react. I figured out that Derek isn’t someone whom you can share secrets with. I saw Dan and Callan were both staring at Logan with a ‘What?’-like expression. Its either they know that I’m Logan’s girlfriend or they know that he doesn’t have a cousin named Kylie.
“So, how did you guys get here?” Logan said, trying to avoid the continuation of the Kylie-conversation. His two friends pointed at a boy, the same age as us who has a cool sense of fashion.
“Hey Loggie!” the boy said.
“Vince, is that you?”
“Yeah, good to see you again, buddy!” Vince said, giving Logan a hi-five, showing his diamond rings.
“Why are you here?”
“You forgot, my father is the producer of your movie.”
Logan tilted his head like he didn’t get what Vince just said.
“He brought me and the cast here so we could film the movie.” Vince explained.
“You mean, we get to film the movie here in Minnesota?”
Vince nodded. Logan turned to me and smiled.

LOGAN

This is great! This is a perfect opportunity to treat Kylie to a big time LIVE shooting of the movie. I talked to her at her house about the whole thing going on.

“Cousin? That’s the best you got?” she told me.

“I didn’t know what to do. You told me not to tell the public about our relationship, right?”

“And the tall dude is public?”

“That tall dude is my manager. If he finds out about our relationship, whether I tell him or not, he’ll spill it out to the public.”

“Good thinking. Although, I don’t like the idea being your cousin.”

“I’m not good at thinking when under pressure.”

“It shows.”

“So, about the movie… Want to come watch while were filming?”

“Sure. It’d be an honor.”

The next morning, Kylie and I headed to the set. The set was a big house owned by Vince’s family. The basement was used as an editing room.

We headed to the park to film the movie. The girls are left behind by the bench, near the food stalls. Looks like Kylie made friends already. The girls are chatting while we guys, are busy filming. Whenever we take a break, Kylie tries to act like a concerned cousin. Even though she said there is no such thing as cousin complex, she tries to assist me. When work was done, we hang out with Dan and Callan, and of course, their girlfriends at the club.

“So, Kylie, you fine with Logan just being your cousin?” Dan said. I tried to shut him up, but Callan followed.

“We know you feel bad. We didn’t even know why Logan doesn’t want anyone to know you’re his girlfriend.” Callan said.

Kylie stared at me then turned back to Callan, “I told him not to.”

Callan caressed his fiancé, Yasmine. “Well, that’s fine with me. It’s not my problem anymore anyway. Right, honey?”

“Don’t worry; you guys can get through with this. Callan and I kept our relationship for two years, and now we’re getting married.” Yasmine said.

When Yasmine turned back to Callan, he kissed her. Those two can kiss anywhere, and I don’t know where those two get their confidence. I looked at Kylie, who was staring in amazement at the kissing couple. I think Kylie can’t stand to watch those two, because she ended up bowing her head.
“Are you okay?” I asked her.

“I’m okay, don’t worry.” She said nervously.

Vince headed to the dance floor and Dan was busy eating, his girlfriend looked like she was texting. When Dan stopped eating, he suddenly said, “Man, I wish I can get a kiss too.” Then he turned to his girlfriend, “Mind if you plant one on me, Angel?” His girlfriend put away her phone and nodded, and they began to kiss. Now two couples were kissing, that’s two out of three.
As much as I wanted to kiss Kylie, I tried to stop myself from doing it. I didn’t want to make her angry anymore. When I looked at her, she was staring at me. I need to think of something to make her feel better without kissing her real quick. When I looked for something I could use as a reason to escape this complicated situation, I found her glass of juice empty.
“Let me go buy you another juice, I’ll be right back.” I said. When I was about to stand up, she held my hand. I sat down again, “Is something wrong?”
“Please don’t leave me here. Just stay with me.” She whispered.
I took Kylie home. She stayed quiet the whole drive home. When she was about to open the car door, I grabbed her arm. “Is something wrong?”
She didn’t answer.
“Kylie, if there’s something wrong, please tell me.”
She still didn’t answer.
“Just tell me what you want and I’ll give it to you.”
“Nothing’s wrong, and I don’t want anything.” She finally said.
“Then why are you acting like that?”
“I’m just tired.”
This time, I was the one who didn’t say anything.
“What about you?” she said. “Do you want something?”
“Yes,” I told her. “I want you to be happy. So if there’s something you need, just tell me now. I promise, I’ll do anything to give it to you.”
She grinned, “I don’t want anything but there’s only one thing I need.”
“What is it?”
“It’s you.” She said as she got out of the car. I just looked at her as she entered her house. What is on her mind right now? I want to know.

ZAHN

I blew up again. I was supposed to not give any problems to Logan. It was because of those stupid couples. Why do they have to kiss in public? I mean, they could’ve gotten a room. I wonder why Logan didn’t try to kiss me. Am I not good enough? Or maybe he doesn’t love me anymore to kiss me? Come to think of it, he’s not sleeping here. Where could he be? Without second thought, I called Ben.
“Hello?” he answered.
“Hey, it’s Zahn. Is Logan there?”
“Isn’t he sleeping at your house?”
“He just took me home then drove away. I thought maybe he’ll be sleeping at your place with his Grandpa.”
“His Grandpa is still here, but he isn’t.”
“Okay, thanks. Bye.”
“Bye.”
I sneaked outside of the house. I looked for Logan at the park, he wasn’t there. At the diner, still no. I looked everywhere. I found him at the garage, sitting on the couch, all alone in the dark.
“Logan?” I called.
“What are you doing here?” he said, sounding angry.
“I was looking for you. You didn’t come home at our house. And you weren’t at Ben’s house either.”
“You didn’t have to look for me.”
“Of course I do, I was worried.”
“What do you want?”
I took a breath, trying not to cry. “I wanted to say I’m sorry. There were just a lot of things going on in my mind.”
He stood up and walked toward me. “Like what?”
I took a breath again, this time with a ‘Whew!’ at the end. “I don’t know. Maybe our relationship, the other couples, us?”
“Don’t tell me it’s about what happened earlier?”
I bowed my head, not knowing what to say. He stepped forward and touched my cheek. I looked up and we locked eyes. “Truth is, I wanted to kiss you but I couldn’t.” he said.
“Why not?”
“Because I know you wouldn’t want to be kissed in public.”
“True. But you could’ve told me if you wanted to.”
“You mean, you would’ve kissed me?”
“Maybe, but we should get a room first.”
He looked around, “We’re all alone now, right?”
“Yup, I am all alone with you.”
Then he kissed me. It was my first time. My mom said I should treasure my first kiss. And now mom, I can treasure this first kiss forever.

After a few minutes, I knew I couldn’t breathe anymore. Logan’s kiss is sucking all my breath. It was like he knows what he’s doing. I felt weak, my body was trembling. We fell to the ground. I was panting, gasping for some air. I didn’t know kissing could be tiring.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“I’m fine. I just need some air.”

“Sorry. I got carried away.”

“You’re really an expert at kissing, huh. I couldn’t follow you.”

“Actually, this is first time.”

I am his first kiss? But I’ve seen him kiss so many girls before in his movies.

“Don’t you kiss girls in movies?”

“No. A double does all the kissing. Kissing is my weakest subject.”

I put on a ‘what do you mean?’ expression.

“Long story.” He said.

After that, we got home together. Mom was surprised when she saw me enter our house. She said that she thought I was in my room. Well, that’s because I sneaked out.

LOGAN

2 days later, the shooting of the movie was finished. We all got back to LA with grandpa. Since we got back, Derek kept on following me around. I guess he doesn’t want the ‘chasing incident’ to happen again. He made my schedule more hectic than before. The projects he set me up with require me to sleep while acting, if you know what I mean. The only time I can call Kylie is when I take a break from the set.

There was a time when Kylie started with a scream when she picked up the phone. It gave me quite a shock, my phone slipped out of my hand.

“Logan! Logan!” she said after she screamed.

“What?” I asked, rubbing my forehead.

“I made it! I passed!”

“Passed what?”

“The scholarship! I’m going to Canada!”

“Wait, what?”

“I said, I’m going to Canada.”

“Canada? Why do you have to go there?”

“Well, I got the scholarship program from one of the schools there. It has been my dream.”

“Okay, I understand that you really wanted to go to Canada that bad but can’t you just stay in Minnesota?”

“What? Why?”

“I won’t get to see you.”

“Of course you will. It’s not like I won’t come back.”

“Oh. But I still think it’s better if you stay in Minnesota. I mean, you know...”

“Okay, what’s wrong with Canada? You’re acting like you’re avoiding it.”

“Nothing’s wrong with it.”

“Okay, I don’t want an issue to grow out of this conversation.”

“So, what are you going to do?”

“I’m still going to Canada.”

“What?”

“The new school year is almost here so I can’t do anything about it. We’ll just call each other if you don’t want to visit me there.”

“My point exactly, we still won’t see each other that way.”

“I’ll go back to Minnesota when I have the time, it’s not like I’m going to be there forever.”

“Right.”

“Please Logan? At least be happy I got my dreams coming true.” She pleaded.

“Okay. Just... take care.”

“I love you, Logan.”

“I love you too.” Then she hung up.
I trembled while that conversation repeated itself in my head. Then, I remembered one of my Grandpa’s advices: “Always look on the bright side.” So I tried to think of it as ‘the longest conversation we’ve had on the phone with my hectic schedule.’ Well, it didn’t make me forget about that conversation, but it did make me feel a little better.

ZAHN

After the phone conversation with Logan, I tried to think about why he was so not into the Canada thing. Maybe something happened that I don’t know or he has an ex-girlfriend there that he doesn’t want me to meet. I’m really curious but I don’t want to ask him questions. I’m scared that it might get out of control and our relationship will be ruined.

That night, I haven’t slept at all.

“Whoa, too excited to go to Canada that you can’t sleep? You look like a hobo.” Alex said.

”I wish that’s it but it’s not.” I told him as I headed towards the table for breakfast.

“What do you mean?”

“Logan called yesterday.”

“And?”

“I don’t think he’s happy about Canada.”

Alex raised an eyebrow at me.

“Okay, I don’t know what his problem is but he’s not happy with it.” I told him, then I turned to mom, “What am I going to do?”

“Oh honey, you can’t expect everyone to be happy for you once in a while but that doesn’t mean he’s not supporting you in your dream.” My mom said.

“You think so?”

“I know so. Maybe there’s just something there that he doesn’t like.”

Three weeks later, I flew to Canada. My other best friend besides Ben, met me at the airport. Her name was Caye Johann, and she’s like my big sister. She moved here in Canada when she was about eleven. If you’re thinking how old I was when she left, take a hint: she’s a year older than me.

“Hey! How are you?” she greeted as I ran towards her for a hug.

“I’m fine. How about you?”

“Still alive, obviously.”

“You haven’t changed at all.”

“Oh, please. It’s been ages seen we’ve seen each other.”

“I know, right?”

“Come on, let’s go. We need someplace where we could really talk.”

“Yeah. I don’t want to talk in the middle of the airport while standing.”

“Me too.” And we both laughed as we made our way through the crowd.

LOGAN

“What are you going to do, Logan?” Grandpa said.

We were at the terrace, talking about the conversation I just had with Kylie on the phone over some coffee.

“You do have a choice.” He continued. “Continue the path you choose or give up your career and start anew.”

“I don’t know. If I continue, I’ll have to leave Kylie and I don’t want that.” I said.

“But you also know that there’s a risk when you give up your career.”

“If I give it up, I’ll have to stop following my father’s tracks and I won’t know what happened to them.”

“The question is, do you want what you’re doing right now? Do you think entering the showbiz world will give you the answer to the questions that are on your mind?”

“What do you mean?”

“We know you are facing a very difficult problem that your father had also faced. But even with the same problem, you’re in a different situation as your father. And how would you even know the answer about your parents’ death if you won’t even set foot on the place where it all happened?”

“It’s just that, I don’t know if I can take it. If my memories come back from that day, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle all of it.”

“Think it over. Remember, the answers are always found buried in the deepest part and before you can go there, you’ll have to face many traps.”

“Wow. That’s the longest and deepest advice you’ve ever given me.”

“Actually, it’s more like a riddle than an advice. Life is full of riddles, you know.”

That night, I had a dream.

There were two doors. The first one was just like the door of my dressing room, black with a star that has my name written on it. The second one was a regular door. The one made from wood and is commonly used for houses. Before I could open any of them, I was pulled by a strong current. When it stopped, I was in a different place. It was like a museum full of portraits. I looked at a portrait which looked like a family picture. I stared at it, trying to make out the picture. It was me, with my mom and dad. I cried, but then I heard my grandfather’s voice, telling me the riddle again. I looked at where the voice is coming from. At the end of the hall, I saw a sparkling bracelet with a large stone of sapphire in the middle. I was about to touch the bracelet when the darkness started to swallow me. While I was struggling, Kylie suddenly appeared out of nowhere. She was crying, then she looked up at me and said, “Don’t leave me please.” I started shouting her name, but I lost my voice. Then I woke up

ZAHN

“So, how’s Minnesota so far?” Caye asked, helping me unpack my things.

“So far, so good.” I told her.
“How’s Ben?” she asked.

“Same.”

“He never changed at all?”

“No, I mean, the same answer as the previous question.”

“Oh.”

“How’s life?”

“Still living it.”

There was silence between us for a minute. Then she spoke up.

“So how’s prince charming?”

“What?”

“Oh come on. I know you have one right now.”

“What makes you think so?”

“I can tell with that expression on your face. You seem to have a problem and it has something to do with charming.”

“Well, it’s nothing.”

“Zahn. You can tell me anything. Maybe I can help you.”

“I’m not sure I want to talk about him right now.”

“Fine. But you’ve got to tell me something about him.”

“Why do you want to know so bad?”

“Come on. Your first boyfriend? What makes it not so interesting?”

“Well,” I said as I thought about it. “he’s pretty much like prince charming.”

“How, exactly?”

“He is charming, kind and down to earth.”

“Wow. Nice package deal.”

“Is he someone I know?”

“Not really.”

Truth is, I don’t know if I should tell her about Logan, being a hot actor and all that.

“Oh. Okay.”

Thank goodness she didn’t ask me his name.

I tried to imagine what Logan might be doing right now. Maybe he’s resting at his house because he’s tired from all the filming for his new movie or he’s just signing autographs.

After unpacking, I went straight to bed but I didn’t sleep. I couldn’t. I miss Logan so much. I tried to figure out what to do in these cases, and then I remembered Ben. He had a crush on a girl at my school and he can’t stop thinking about her, he began to day dream. I figured, why not try it? It’s not like Logan isn’t worth day dreaming.

I day dreamed I was walking at the beach with Logan, his hand holding mine. And then, the next thing I knew, we were dancing. Yeah, it’s a really weird thought. I mean, me dancing. But if you can just imagine, it looks so perfect.

LOGAN

I thought about my dream last night and about the riddle Grandpa told me.

“The answers are always found buried in the deepest part and before you can go there, you’ll have to face many traps.”

They seem connected.

The museum, at its end is the bracelet. Maybe the bracelet is the treasure. But what about the traps?

“Actually, it’s more like a riddle than an advice. Life is full of riddles, you know.” Another one of what Grandpa had told me.

“Man, that riddle is such a challenge!” I complained.

Wait a minute, challenge?
“Life is full of riddles.” Which means, “Life is full of challenges.” So maybe those traps are challenges in life.
Okay, I figured those out but I still don’t know what to do. I need help.
“How would you even know the answer about your parents’ death if you won’t even set foot on the place where it all happened?”
Grandpa was right. I’m such a coward for being afraid of knowing the answer. But, what if all of the answers are there? What if the only way to find out is to go to Canada?
I searched for Grandpa around the house. I found him at the garden, watering the plants.
“Grandpa!” I called.
“What is it, kid?” he said as stopped watering and looked up to me.
“I’ve been thinking about our conversation yesterday.”
“And?”
“I’ve decided, I’m going to Canada. But in order to do that, I’ll have to give up my career.”
“That’s a fast decision. But why do you have to give up your career when you just want to go to Canada?”
“You said so yourself, Grandpa. I’m starting again after I find out about my parent’s death. And being an actor will only be an obstacle, although it might come in handy at the right time.”
“I’m so proud of you, son. You grow up so fast.”

I talked to Derek the next day. I told him that I wanted to quit acting.

“What? You’re kidding me right?” he said as he followed me around his office. “You wanted this. You wanted to become famous.”

“No, this isn’t what I want. I only became an actor to find out something about my father.”

“What do you mean?”

“I thought acting may lead me to my parents’ death but it didn’t lead me to anything.”

I started to walk away but Derek got a hold of me.

“You’re not going anywhere.”

“Let go of me, Derek. I don’t have time for this.” I said, struggling. But he covered my nose and mouth with his handkerchief and then I lost consciousness.

ZAHN

It was Saturday, a week has passed since I’ve stayed in Canada but Logan hadn’t called me even once. I was starting to get worried. What if he hates me for staying here? Does he have a new girlfriend? I hope not.

“Zahn!” Caye shouted from the living room.

“What?” I said as I ran out of the kitchen.

“Listen.” She turned up the volume of the TV.

“Teen actor Logan Cole has been missing for a week.” Said the reporter.

“What happened?” Caye asked.

“Shhh!” I replied.

“His manager confirmed that he was missing after Logan didn’t show up at the conference for his new movie.” The reporter continued. “The police are investigating about this case for two days after the conference. There is still no sign of the actor until now.”

I felt weak. I knelt down, crying.

“Hey! What’s wrong?” Caye asked as she helped me stand up. We sat down at the couch. I continued crying, repeating Logan’s name.

“Why are you so affected of what happened to Logan?” she asked.

“L-logan,” I stammered, “Logan is my boyfriend.”

“What?” she shouted. “Your boyfriend is a hot actor and you didn’t even bother telling me?”

“Look, whether I tell you or not, he’s missing right now. And it’s all my fault.”

“Don’t say that. Whatever you did, maybe he just misunderstood but no one will go missing just for missing his girlfriend.”

“You don’t understand. He didn’t want me to go here. And I still insisted.”

“What are you going to do?”

As I looked around the apartment. I noticed the phone. I stood up, ignoring Caye, and dialled Logan’s number. I’ve tried for about five times but his phone just kept on going right to voice mail. I tried to call at their house, old man Greg picked up the phone on the third ring.

“Hello?” he said.

“Old man Greg!” I said. “I heard the news.”

“Zahn.” He replied.

“I am so sorry. It’s all my fault.”

“No, please don’t say that. That kid’s only having a lot going on his mind.”

“But he went missing.”

“Yes.”

“Do you have any clue where he could’ve gone?”

“No. But he was supposed to head straight for Canada after going to Derek’s office.”

“He was supposed to go here?”

“Please understand Zahn. Logan didn’t want you to go there because of something that happened. And the history has repeated itself.”

“What do you mean?”

“Please take care. You’ll need it.” He said, ignoring the question. And then he hung up.

That was not what I had expected he would say. He warned me about something and I have no clue what he meant by the history repeating itself. But I do have something in mind: I have to go to LA.

LOGAN

I was locked in a room when I regained consciousness.

“Hello? Is anyone there?” I called.

Nobody answered. The door was made of steel and it was thick. There was a small window on it. It was as small as the size of a pocket book. I peeked to see if somebody’s outside the door. There was no one. Derek must’ve locked me inside one of the studio’s rooms. I scanned the room for any escape routes, but there was nothing. I sat down on the floor, trying to think.

A few hours later, I heard footsteps. I peeked at the window, only to see Derek smiling when he saw me.

“Hello Logan.” He said.

“Derek, what are you doing? Get me out of here.”

“It’s okay Logan. I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Why am I locked up?”

“To prevent you from causing me troubles again.”

“What?”

“You are not giving up your career and you are not going anywhere.”

“Why are you so against this?”

“You know, it’s better if no one knows about the truth that lies hidden in every question they have in mind.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Stop fooling around. I know your objective. Your parents died in an airplane crash because someone put a bomb on one of its wings, right?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“You’re wasting your time Logan. They die and that’s it. You can’t do anything about it. You don’t have to be so detective on this. You’ll only regret what you’re going to do.”

“Whether I regret it or not, it’s none of your business.”

“Then good luck getting out of there!” he said, laughing, as he left me.

ZAHN

“You just got here, you’re planning to go to LA now?” Caye said.

“I have to. Logan is in trouble, I have to help him.” I told her.

“The police are investigating it. Many people are investigating. You don’t have to join them.”

“You don’t understand. He was there when I needed him. I need to return the favor. I’ll be back as soon as I can”

As I was leaving, Caye stopped me. “At least let me go with you. I can’t let you go there by yourself.”

I nodded.

After hours of flying to LA, I was so stiff. But that didn’t stop me; we took a cab and went straight to Logan’s house with the address Will gave me.

We got there in time to see old man Greg talking to an investigator.

“Hey girls!” a familiar voice said. We turned around to see who it was.

“Callan! Dan!” I ran to meet them.

“We’re sorry about Logan.” Callan said.

“But we’ve got news.” Dan continued.

We went inside the house and talked about the investigation of Logan’s case.

“A witness appeared yesterday.” The cop said.

“Who?” I asked.

“It was me.” Callan said, raising his hand.

“Yes, it seems that Mr. Cole has been kidnapped by his manager, according to what Mr. Mitchell here said.” Said the cop.

“I overheard them arguing at Derek’s office. I waited for Logan outside the studio but I only saw Derek. When I asked him where Logan is, he told me that he already got home. Then there was news that he was gone missing, so Dan and I investigated the building. We’ve checked all rooms except for Derek’s office. I bet he’s got him in there.”

“We’re planning on investigating the area today.”

“Um, officer. Is it okay if we do the investigation today ourselves?”

“Dude, what are you doing?” Dan asked.

“If Derek knows we’re investigating the studio, he can hide Logan somewhere else. We won’t be able to see him there if that happens.” Callan explained.

“What are you planning, Mr. Mitchell?” the cop asked.

“We’ll investigate the office and the cops will be back-ups in case something happens.”

“You do understand that we need to monitor your every move? You have to wear microphones.”

“Yes.”

They both stood up and shook hands. “We’re looking forward on working with you.”

“Same here.”

Dan and Callan left the house and came back with lots of stuff. They looked like they just won a shopping spree to the mall.

“Wear these contact lenses.” Dan told me.

“Where would I need them for?” I asked.

“You’ll disguise yourself as a journalist for Ms. Evans, while your friend disguises herself as her niece.”

“Ms. Evans the producer?”

“Yup. The lovely Ms. Evans who Derek has a crush on.”

“You know that Derek likes her?”

“It shows with just one look on Derek’s face whenever Ms. Evans is around.”

“Why would I need to wear these again?”

“Look, Derek likes looking people in the eye the first time they meet. And by your eye color, he’ll know that you’re Logan’s... what did he call you again?”

“Cousin.”

“Cousin, right.”

After we dressed up, we discussed the plan and rehearsed the script made by Callan.

AT THE STUDIO...

“Hello, Ms. Evans.” Derek greeted her with a smile.

“Hello, Derek. This is my niece and the journalist for the interview today.”

Derek stared at me for a few moments then he led us to his office. Part one of the plan accomplished.

There were three doors inside his office. Man, is his office huge. I started to interview Derek about the new movie Logan was supposed to be starring. I really didn’t know what to say but thanks to Callan’s script, things went along smoothly. Ms. Evans talked to Derek after the interview. They left the office to get some documents, so part two accomplished.

Callan went inside the office dressed as a janitor. “Guys, look for Logan behind those doors.”

“Logan!” I called from the door.

“Who’s there?” a familiar voice responded.

“It’s me, Kylie!”

“Kylie?” his face appeared at the small window.

“Thank goodness you’re okay!” I cried, then I called Callan and Caye, “Guys, he’s here.”

We tried to open the door, but it’s locked.

“Quick, find the key!”

We searched his drawers. We found tons of keys. We started fitting them into the keyhole.

“I’ll guard the door and check if Derek’s coming.”

“Good idea.”

“They seem to be taking so long getting a document.”

“Actually, Ms. Evans is flirting with him right now. But that won’t distract him for long.”

We continued fitting the keys.

“He’s coming!” Caye told us.

Callan brought out a walkie-talkie and said, “Dan, now!”

“Got it!” Dan said from the other line.

A few seconds later, the cops infiltrated the studio and caught Derek.

Click!
The twenty-seventh key worked!
Logan hugged me as soon as he got out of the room. Then we ran towards Derek.
“It’s a trap!” he looked at us. “You can’t do this to me.”
“I’m sorry Derek.” Logan said.
The police brought Derek to their office for further investigation.

LOGAN

After the incident, I went to Canada with Kylie hoping to find out something about my parents’ death.
Why did Derek do that to me? I feel like he’s trying to hide something. I know that me, quitting acting, is not the reason why he kidnapped me. He seems to know something that I need to know, but what is it?
“Hey, want to go somewhere together?” Kylie offered.
“Sure.” I said.
“Great, let’s go.”
We walked around the city and entered a museum.
“By somewhere, you meant here?” I asked.
“What? It’ll be fun.”
“I don’t get what your idea of fun is.”
“Come on, I enjoy looking at the exhibits.”
I just rolled my eyes as she dragged me deep inside the museum.
“Hey, look at this.” She said as she pulled me by her side to see. “Isn’t it beautiful?”
I was shocked when I saw the familiar large sapphire stone. I stared at it for a while. It was the bracelet in my dream.
“Wow, this was a gift for the fiancé of the greatest designer here in Canada.”
“Fiancé?”
“Yeah, it says so here.” She pointed at a silver plate below the bracelet which the description is written.

I tried to read the whole description:

Elizabeth’s Sapphire Bracelet
It was created by designer Jason Simpson. It was a gift for his fiancé named Elizabeth. The sapphire stone came from the Royal family as a gift for Jason’s hard work in serving them.

Jason Simpson. Now, why does that name seem familiar?

“Logan, are you okay?” Kylie asked.

“Yeah. I’m just, not feeling well.”

“Oh. Maybe we should go home now.”

“Are you sure? I mean, you can still look at the other exhibits. I’m fine with it.”

“I won’t be able to enjoy them when you’re like that.” She looked at me with concern. “And I know you have a lot going on your mind right now, so you better take a break.”

When we got home, I thought about the bracelet. What connection does it have with my parents? Why did it appear in my dream? And the designer, I think I heard that name before.

After several months in Canada, we went back to LA.

“Where are you going?” Kylie asked.
“I’m going to visit Derek.” I told her.
“What?”
“I just need to talk to him.”
“Then I’ll go with you.”
“No, it’s okay. I can go there by myself.”
“I won’t let you go there alone, it’s too risky.” She hugged me. “I don’t want to lose you again.”
I thought Kylie was right, it is too risky. I didn’t want to lose her too.
“Okay, you can come with me.”
The police led us in a room where Derek was being investigated. The other cops left us, leaving only one cop monitoring us. We sat across Derek; he looked as if he hasn’t been sleeping for months.
“What are you doing here?” Derek asked.
“I’m here to talk to you.”
“We don’t have anything to talk about.”
“Yes, we do. You know something I don’t.”
“Maybe it’s better if you know nothing at all.”
“Please, I’m begging you. Whether I regret knowing this or not, it won’t be your problem anymore. No one will know about this. It’ll be our secret. I promise.”
Derek looked at Kylie. “I’ll leave you two alone.” She said as she headed towards the door.
“What do you want to know?” Derek asked.
“What do you know about Jason Simpson?”
Derek chuckled. “You don’t remember?”
“No. His name just seemed familiar.”
“Well, where did you get his name if you didn’t remember him?”
“A bracelet, in a museum in Canada. I read his name on the description plate.”
“You mean, the Sapphire bracelet?”
I nodded.
“He was the one who brought you to me. He was the reason why I became your manager when you entered your career.”
“I still don’t get it. How did he found me? I don’t even know him.”
“He found you at the airport. Ring a bell?”
“Logan, stay here. I’ll call the cops.” The butler said.
I was crying when I saw my parent’s plane crash just a few kilometres away from the airport. “Mom, Dad!”
A man came up to me. “Why are you crying, little guy?” he chuckled.
“I just saw my parent’s plane fall down.”
The man’s smile turned into a frown. Derek came running behind him. “Jason, we need to get out of here.”
“No. You get out and take care of this kid. I have one more thing I must do.” The man said.
“Why do I have to take care of this kid?”
“That kid is their son.”
Then the man walked away, leaving me and Derek behind. The butler came back with the cops and talked to Derek. The last thing I know, we were at the site where the plane crashed and my parents were gone.

“He was that man.”

Derek started to cry. “He’s my brother... and he was the one who killed your parents.”

“They were killed?”

“Yes.”
“Why would he do that?”
“Revenge.”
I stopped.

“Jason never came back after he got a great job as a designer in Canada. Your mother betrayed him by marrying your father. When the three of you went to Canada, he saw the whole thing. He was the one who placed the bomb that caused the plane crash.” He continued. “And that bracelet you saw, that was a gift for your mom.”

“I couldn’t believe this. What happened to him?”

“He committed suicide after the incident.”

“So he’s dead?” Tears sprang from my eyes.

Derek nodded.
“Wait, why did he leave me with you?”
“I figured, he pitied you.”
“What?”
“He pitied you because you became like us. An orphan. No parents.”
“So that’s why he didn’t kill me.”
“Promise me our conversation stays in this room. No one will know about this.”

Now it was my turn to nod. “Thank you for letting me know about this.”
I left the room without a word. I saw Kylie sitting at a bench outside the room.
“How did it go?” she asked.
I didn’t speak.
“Sorry, you don’t have to tell me what happened.”

ZAHN

I’m worried about Logan. Ever since he talked to Derek, he won’t talk to me. He won’t even move from his bed.

I sat beside him and hugged him.

“Please.” I cried. “Don’t be like this.”

He didn’t answer.

“I don’t know what you two talked about but please. This isn’t right. You have to accept all of it. You may have lost two of the most important people of your life and I know it’s not easy. But think about the people who’re with you right now, those who care about you and those who love you.” I kissed him on the lips, but when I let go, he still didn’t move.

I stood up and got out of his room. I ran to the garden where I saw old man Greg watering the plants.

“Hello, Zahn. Did something happen?” he said as he stood up.

I ran towards him and hugged him. “I don’t know what to do. I can’t help Logan with anything.” I cried.

Old man Greg tried to comfort me. “No. You had helped Logan more than enough. He just needs time to think and accept all that has happened.”

“I don’t think I’ve been a good girlfriend to him. I’m always thinking for myself. I’m such a selfish jerk. What if he doesn’t love me anymore?”

“Please Zahn. Don’t think about it like that. I know he loves you and you’re what he needs most right now. I’m sure everything will be alright.”

In the morning, I planned to check Logan in his room but he wasn’t there. I felt my chest tightened. I ran downstairs. I found him in the kitchen with old man Greg, and they were both... Laughing.

“Good morning, Ms. Spicer.” Old man Greg greeted me as soon as he saw me.

Logan turned around and smiled. He got out of his chair and walked towards me. “Um, good morning.”

“G-good morning. Are you feeling okay now?”

“Yeah.”

“Why don’t you join us for breakfast?” Old man Greg offered.

I nodded.

Logan started acting like a gentleman, escorting me in my seat and giving me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich he made. Old man Greg, and Logan continued their conversation. Logan joked around like nothing happened at all.

When breakfast ended, old man Greg went at the back of the house and Logan invited me to watch TV with him.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“What on earth did you eat?” I asked.

“Peanut butter and jelly. That’s what we had for breakfast.”

“Are you sure that’s it?”

“Yeah.”

“What about drinks?”

“I had orange juice. You were there. I had breakfast with you.”

“Then, do you have a fever?” I said as I put my hand in his forehead.

“No. What’s with all the questions? I’m fine.”

“It’s just that... yesterday, you were acting like it’s the end of the world and now, you’re goofing around like nothing happened.”

“Look, I’m sorry about yesterday. I thought about what you said, and-“

“Oh, I didn’t know you were listening.”

He smiled. “Well, that’s because you love me, right? And because I love you too, I know I want to listen to everything you say.”

“You got the message right.”

“I’m sorry, I really am. I was such a jerk for ignoring you. I just can’t believe all of that happened. Being kidnapped, then remembering all those painful memories...”

“It was hard, wasn’t it? You’ve been through a lot.”

“Yeah, but you were always there when I needed you. Thanks for saving my butt out there when I was kidnapped. I didn’t expect to see you there actually.”

“Well, I didn’t expect to act like some stupid journalist and being observed by Creepy Derek and then save your butt.”

“You did a pretty good job. I didn’t even know that was you.”

“Really?”

“Really.” Then he hugged me tight. “And I’ll never let anything happen to you. I won’t lose you to anything.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll always be by your side. I won’t lose you to anything, either.”

Then, we shared a very romantic kiss.

ycel29 said...
on Nov. 19 2011 at 6:37 pm
i was amazed! i thought im reading the book of one of the famous writer..keep it up

ycel said...
on Nov. 19 2011 at 6:35 pm
i was amazed !!! i thought i'm reading the book of one the famous writer keep it up