Something to Work For | Teen Ink

Something to Work For

By megsss13, Woodbury, Minnesota
megsss13, Woodbury, Minnesota

i belive that everything happens for a reason. people change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you can learn to appreciate things when they go right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart, so that better things can fall together♥

Author's note: This is my first piece on teen ink, so I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your feedback so that I can make this story better. So please tell me what you think :)

I heard the gunshot and a scream, then everything went black. So this is what its like to die? It was peaceful, yet eerie. I thought I was screaming, but it was too hard to tell if it was my imagination or reality. My eyes flashed to what I hoped was real life. I saw people rushing and shouting things, white walls, and a wire. The only thing I heard was "You can't let her die, I need her." I had no clue who the voice belonged to. I slowly drifted back into the dark dreamland. I knew there was someone with me, I could feel them watching me. It felt like a hole was being burnt in my chest. I willed myself to open my eyes. I was filled with shock when they actually opened.

"Ohmygawd! She's awake! You guys, she's awake!"
My friends. God I love them, but only Jenn was actually in the room. The others immediately rushed in.

"Jenn?" I managed with a raspy voice,"Wha-what happened?"

"Not right now, when you're fully recovered I'll tell you." she replied.

"How long have y'all been here?"

"Well, you got here at about 1:15 this morning, and it is now 11:30 at night. We got here at about 6. Your cousin was here when we got here!"

"Which one?" I asked curiously. All of my cousins were either under the age of twelve, or lived in California.

"I think he said his name was Brayden," Jenn told me.

"Jenn, I don’t have a cousin named Brayden. Did he say he was coming back?"

"Yeah, he said he was coming back tomorrow." I shook it off and turned to my other friends.

"Aubree we've been so worried about you! The doctor said you were gonna be totally fine!" my friend Stephanie told me.

"How do you feel?" asked Maddie

"Well obviously, she doesn’t feel good, she has a hole in her body," Ava said. The others shot looks at her, Maddie even went far enough as to kick Ava's shin.

"I'm not even going to ask because I know you wont tell me now," I said and closed my eyes. Each of them kissed me on the forehead and left the room. The next time i woke up to a woman praying beside me, and a boy sitting in a chair. The woman was my Aunt Rebecca, the boy I had never seen in my life. He was gorgeous. His honey brown hair fell in his eyes a little bit, his arms were muscular, and looked to be about 6 feet tall. I stirred a little and instantly both my Aunt and the boy snapped their heads to look at me. My Aunt looked so relieved.
Aunt Rebecca has been my legal guardian since I was ten, so seven years now. My parents were in a horrible car accident on their way to my a conference in San Antonio. Aunt Rebecca took me in instantly. She was sweet, but worried way too much.

"Oh my dear Aubree, thank you Lord," my aunt said.

"Hi Auntie," I said.

"How do you feel honey? The doctor said you can start moving around, get on your feet, do you want to try?" she asked me, but I was too interested in the boy.

"Who are you I asked him," ignoring my Auntie. He pointed to him self and I nodded.

"We'll get to that later honey," my Aunt said, "when you can handle it."

"I can handle it now."

"Yeah, Rebecca, she can. Its better now than when she can throw things or hurt me," said the boy.
Aunt Rebecca sighed and stood up from her kneeling position.

"Alright, but you BOTH must remain civil about this, and you CANNOT blame me for any of this Aubree," my aunt said. The boy and I both nodded.

"This," she started, "is Brayden. Brayden's parents and your parents were very close friends in their newly wed years, until you turned two," auntie continued, "Brayden was three at that time. Your parents decided over dinner one night that you two would be married once you, my dear, turned eighteen. Brayden did you want to add anything?"

"Yeah, I only found out about this two days ago, so please don’t be mad at me Aubree." he finished.

I just sat there, in this gloomy hospital room as I processed the fact that I had an arranged marriage. And to some guy that I have never even met before today! What on earth am I going to do? I'm only seventeen; I have a whole life ahead of me. I don’t want to be tied down, at least not yet. But let’s get one thing straight, I will NEVER love this guy.

“Are you kidding me?! An arranged marriage? I don’t even know this kid! He could be a serial killer, or a drug dealer. No offense.”

“Aubree, he comes from a very good family, I’m sure he’s a gentleman,” Auntie said, “I’m going to get coffee. You two get to know each other.”

And with that, I was alone, with my fiancé. I shuddered at the word. Why did my parents have to be so old fashioned.

“So…” I said, breaking the awkward silence.

“Aubree, I know you don’t like me, and frankly I’m not 100% sure about you right now. But I know that our parents just want us to be happy. Right?” he asked me.

“Yeah, well happiness doesn’t always come from an arranged marriage, especially when I’m not even eighteen yet,” I shot back.

“How much do you know about your parents wedding?” Brayden asked me.

“I know that they got married in my grandmas backyard, and that they honeymooned in Brazil, and that they were absolutely head over heels madly in love with each other.”

“Did you know that they were eighteen? And that they also had an arranged marriage?”
I looked at him in disbelief, “How do you know that?” I managed to ask through teary eyes.

“My parents told me. My mom was your mom’s maid of honor & vice versa.” I just shook my head.

“So let me get this straight Brayden. You want us to try this, so that we can live happily ever after like my parents?”

“And mine, they were arranged too,” he added.

“Sorry to rain on your parade, but my parents didn’t live happily ever after…” I said.

“I’m sorry Aubree, I forgot,” he said. He looked embarrassed. Good, he should be.

“Wait, do you know the story?”

“Yeah, my parents, remember?” He told me.

“Oh, so you probably know why I’m here then…?”

“Actually no, nobody told me. They said that when you were ready you would tell me.”

“Well, it’s a good thing I don’t remember…”

“It’s the pain meds. Do you want to go walk around? It might make you feel better,” He suggested. Brayden flashed a smile, and I melted right there. This was going to be hard to hate such a gorgeous human being.

“Sure,” I sighed.

I sat up and swung my feet over the side of the bed. Brayden rushed over to help me up. When he took my hand something inside me turned on. My stomach got a weird feeling, and the place where Brayden was touching me was burning and tingling, but I didn’t want it to stop. What was going on...

It felt weird to stand up. My legs wobbled and I nearly fell over. Brayden caught me and looped his arm through mine. I smiled a little, and saw Brayden smirk out of the corner of my eye. I dragged my IV along with me as we walked through the dull, depressing hospital hallways. We walked slowly, and Brayden was careful with me. I saw so many people who were so much worse off than me, and may never leave the hospital. At that, the tears began to come. I wasn’t bawling, just a few tears. I just nod when Brayden asks if I’m alright. We finished our walk and my aunt Rebecca smiled at us when we walked in the room.

“Well it looks like you two are getting along pretty well,” she said as Brayden helped me back into the hospital bed. I know he broke out into an ear to ear smile when I said, “Yeah, he’s not half bad.” Not much of a compliment if you ask me, but to him it was. With that I closed my eyes and fell asleep. I dreamt about Brayden, and myself. When I woke up to Brayden and Auntie asleep in chairs, I caught myself smiling.

“Hey, Aubree, wake up!” I awoke the next morning to Brayden who wore an extremely giddy expression on his face.

“What,” I shot at him. I’m not a morning person. He would find out sooner or late, so I decided sooner was better. He ignored my attitude and proceeded anyway.

“You can go home!”

“What? Are you serious?!” My mood immediately shifted.

“Yeah, your aunt is signing the papers and finding out if and how she needs to take care of you at home,” Brayden said still smiling.

I smiled like I was the happiest person on the face of the earth, but really my mind wandered to different things. I thought about school, my social life, dance, and what was to be of this arranged marriage.

“What’s wrong,” Brayden asked, sensing my tension.

“Nothing, don’t worry about it,” I told him.

“We have to be able to talk about anything you know, so we can start now.”

“I was just, thinking,” I told Brayden. He gave me a look that told me to elaborate.

“About school, and dance, and…this whole thing,” I said while repeatedly pointing to the two of us.

“What about ‘this whole thing,” he said mimicking me.

“Just, what’s going to happen, that kind of thing?” He opened his mouth to say something, but Aunt Rebecca walked in and interrupted.

“Oh, good you’re awake! I’ll pack up and then as soon as the doctor comes in and takes out your IV we’ll head home.” I smiled when Aunt Rebecca said the word home. I couldn’t wait to be in my own room with my own bed again.

The doctor came and removed my IV. Brayden helped me up and once again caught me before I fell. I hope I don’t make a habit of that. He looped his arm through mine and we were gone. I never wanted to see another hospital again. The car ride was silent, but when we got home I was ecstatic. The smell of cinnamon filled the home, just like it has for the past seven years. There was a welcome home banner that hung from the banister, and a cake in the kitchen. I began to tear up.

“Oh no, honey I didn’t mean to make you cry,” Aunt Rebecca said.

“No, it’s alright. I’m just happy to be home, finally,” I told her.

Aunt Rebecca and Brayden exchanged a glance that told me they weren’t sharing something with me.

“What aren’t you guys telling me?”

“Don’t worry about it right now,” Auntie told me.

“Rebecca, we can’t leave her in the dark. She’s already experienced it once…” Brayden said while I looked between the two. Aunt Rebecca sighed.

“Alright. Aubree honey, you’re going to move in with Brayden this week,” she said.

My jaw dropped. Brayden still had an arm looped through mine. I immediately pulled it away from him.

“No. No, no, no. I’m seventeen; there is no chance in hell I’m moving in with him. I don’t want to live with him, hell I don’t even want to marry him!” I screamed, and with that, I fainted.

“I don’t know how long I was out, if I had hit my head or if Brayden caught me before I fell. My eyes fluttered open and I was in my own room. A light smile spread across my lips, but faded when I turned my head to the left and Brayden was there.

“What?” I asked him.

“I was just making sure you were okay. Can’t I do that?”

“What happened?”

“You were screaming about how you didn’t want to move in together, and didn’t want to marry me, then you fainted,” he informed me, “oh, and I caught you before you hit your head,” Brayden smiled. I laughed a little, and then my face got serious.

“Why do you want this to work so badly?” I asked him.

“Because, Aubree, as old fashioned as our parents may be, they wouldn’t have done this on purpose, and to be perfectly honest, I already have feelings for you.”

What was I supposed to say to that? ‘Oh Brayden I have feelings for you too. Let’s live happily ever after!’? No. That is not how this is going to work.

“You don’t have to say anything. I know that seems ridiculous, but it’s true. Just keep that in mind.” With that Brayden got up and left. When he walked out the door I felt like something was missing. What was wrong with me? I shook my head and tossed the covers off. I tried to get up, but as soon as I stood on both my legs I was wobbly. There was no way I would be able to make it to the bathroom alone. I sat back down on my bed and contemplated whether or not to ask Brayden to help me.

“Brayden,” I shouted. He came running in faster than anyone I’ve seen before.

“What? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, I just need help getting up,” I told him.

“Oh, right.” He helped me up and I hobbled over to the bathroom.

“Thanks, I think I got it from here,” I told Brayden. He nodded and left once again.

I stood gripping the bathroom sink and staring at myself in the mirror. My long blonde hair was in desperate need of product. The waves didn’t look natural anymore. I didn’t have any makeup on, and I was in sweats. Not normal. My thoughts drifted to Brayden, and the conversation we had in my bedroom just minutes before. He had feelings for me? How is this even possible? He’s only known me for a few days. Do I have feelings for him too? No, not possible. What am I even thinking?

No matter how hard I tried, the feeling wouldn’t go away.

Home. That one word gives me so many different feelings. Don’t get me wrong. I love being home, but there are also so many bad memories from home. Being home felt good. And then the feeling of wanting to run away hit me. I didn’t want to deal with any of this; moving, getting married, I just want to live my life. I’ve been home for four days. I can get up and walk around without having Brayden help me, and I’ve only fainted once since the day I got home. I guess you can say I’m ‘getting better’. Last night, I remembered what happened. I remembered how I got shot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Will you two just stop fighting already?” I screamed at them. Sam and Alex were fighting. They always fight, especially when they were high, like right now. Somehow I always find myself stopping them. Sam and Alex were some of my best guy friends. We’ve known each other for ten years. Yes, they do get high, I don’t. They would both kill me if I even thought of it. They were like my brothers in that way. Their fighting has never escalated to this level before. They were actually hitting each other and getting violent.

It was a warm summer night in Chicago. There was a breeze coming in off the lake, but it was the Fourth of July week, and was surprisingly quiet for Chicago. That meant nobody could hear me screaming. I kept screaming at them, but they kept hitting each other. Each punch more painful than the last. I didn’t know what to do.

“STOP IT! SAM, ALEX STOP HITTING EACHOTHER. ONE OF YOU IS GOING TO GET HURT!” I screamed. Sam shot me a death glare and hit Alex again, in the face this time. They were both bloody and I could tell they were getting tired. Maybe they would just stop. But no, the fighting only continued. I kept screaming at them to stop, to realize what they were doing. It seemed to register in Alex’s brain, but not Sam’s. Alex put both his hands up as if to surrender only to have Sam treat him as a punching bag.

“SAMUEL DAVID FORESTER! STOP IT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW!” I screamed. He looked at me, and pulled out a gun. I think I immediately dropped to the ground, but after I saw the gun, all I remember is the gunshot. Everything after that was blank.

Sam shot me. My best friend Sam shot me. Oh. My. God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I must have been crying, or screaming, or something, because Brayden rushed into my room and his eyes widened when he saw me.

“What’s wrong? What happened?” He asked me. I just shook my head.

“Aubree tell me. Please,” he begged.

“I, I remember what happened,” I told him.

“What happened when?”

“When I got shot…”

“Oh, do you want to talk about it?” Brayden asked me.

“You’re gonna make me talk about it aren’t you?”

“No, but I would really love it if you would,” He replied. I sighed and started talking. I told him everything. I told him about the Sam and Alex, about the fighting, and about how Sam shot me. I found myself crying and Brayden was holding my hand. When I finished, I shook my head and stuffed my head into Brayden’s chest and continued to cry. He held me and didn’t say a thing. He just let me cry. I needed that. I sighed, and Brayden kissed my forehead as I pulled away.

“Thank you,” I whispered.

“For what?”

“Listening, letting me cry,”

“I’m just glad you’re alive. I kind of want to kick Sam’s ass though,” Brayden said and I laughed.

“Next time I see him, I’ll let you know so you can. If I ever see him, or Alex.”

“Do you want to see them again?”

“Alex, yes. Sam, I’m not sure. I guess I want to know what he was thinking, and I want him to apologize.” I avoided eye contact with Brayden until he lifted my head so I would look at him.

“I’ll go with you to talk to him if you want.”

“Would you?” I asked. He nodded and I smiled. “But I don’t know where they are. I haven’t heard from anyone except the girls since I’ve been home. I don’t even know if Sam would want to talk.”

“I’m sure Sam would love the opportunity to apologize. He hurt you, literally, and I bet he knows it. Call him, tell him you’re gonna come see him. I promise I will go with you, just say when.”

I picked up my phone and dialed Sam’s number. ‘Please pick up, please pick up,’ I whispered to myself.

“Aubree?” He answered.

“Hi Sam,” I replied in a hushed tone.

“Thank God Aubree, nobody would tell me if you were okay, they wouldn’t even talk to me. You don’t even know how…”

“Sam,” I cut him off, “I want to hear this in person. I don’t wanna do this over the phone. Are you home?”

“Yeah, you can come over,” Same told me.

“Okay, I’ll be there in twenty.” I said and hung up.

“You still want me to come?” Brayden asked.

“Yes please. I don’t think I can do this alone.”

The ride to Sam’s wasn’t as awkward as I thought it would be. Brayden kept asking me questions and I was barely even thinking about Sam. I also wasn’t thinking about how much I hated Brayden. I looked over at him and smiled.

“What?” he asked me.

“Nothing”

“Tell me,” Brayden said and nudged me.

“I’ll tell you later, I promise.”

We pulled into Sam’s driveway. Brayden must have seen me tense up, because he reached over and grabbed my hand.

“You’re sure you’re ready to do this?” He asked me.

“Positive,” I said and got out of the car. I rung the doorbell and braced myself. I heard something inside get knocked over and before I knew it there was Sam standing in front of me.

“Who’s he?” was the first thing Sam asked me.

“Um,” I said and looked at Brayden. He shook his head as if to tell me ‘not now,’ “This is my friend Brayden,” I told Sam. We walked into his living room and sat down.

His house was clean, like always. It was also empty, like always. Sam’s parents were never home. They were always taking vacations or working. Sam’s grandparents used to stay with him, but a few years ago he protested, and now he stays home alone. I sat down on the couch and Sam sat next to me. Brayden just leaned against the wall.

“Right, look, Aubree I don’t even know where to start. I, I’m so sorry for everything that happened that night. When I say everything, I mean everything.”

I knew exactly what he was talking about. Here come the tears, great.

“I don’t know what got into me. Or why I would have ever done something like that. I know I was high, but that’s not a good excuse. I felt so terrible. I stayed with you until the ambulance got there, but the cops came too, and then I couldn’t come with you to the hospital.”

“Did they arrest you?”

“Yeah, they got me for attempted murder, illegal weapon possession, and being under the influence. But I got let out on bail. Now I have a parole officer, and this nifty tracking bracelet that doesn’t let me go anywhere within ten miles of here.” I nodded, not knowing what to say.

“I don’t expect you to forgive me at all, but I need you to know how sorry I am. I lost my temper, lost my best friend, and almost lost another one.”

“What?”

“Alex won’t talk to me. I don’t even know where he is.”

“But you guys have been best friends since you were two, he can’t just decide to not be your friend anymore.”

“Have you talked to him at all?”

“No, I haven’t. But I will. Soon,” I told Sam. I looked over at Brayden who was fidgeting with his phone as if to say he felt awkward in this situation. I smiled a little then turned back to Sam. I had to tell him eventually, but not now. Not until after I find Alex. Sam and I said goodbye. I promised to let him know if I talked to Alex. With that Brayden got in the car and we drove off. The ride home was painfully quiet. I didn’t know what to do. I’ve never been caught with a moment like this before.

“Are you okay?” I finally asked him.

“What? Yeah, I’m fine. Just a little tired,” Brayden told me and gave the fakest smile I’ve ever seen.

“I may not know you very well yet, but you’re lying.”

“How do you know?”

“Because when you lie you do that thing with your fingers that you were just doing.”

“No I don’t!” Brayden exclaimed. He was moving his fingers in circles, and hyper extending his thumbs.

“You’re doing it right now Brayden. So quit lying to me. What happened to the ‘we have to tell each other stuff’ speech you gave me? Does it not apply to you?” I questioned.

“Ha ha, very funny Aubree, I was just thinking about everything that just happened.”

“Everything meaning what?”

“The whole conversation you had with Sam. Especially that part where he said he was sorry for ‘everything’ that happened that night. I got a sense that you didn’t tell me everything that happened that night.” I looked down at my hands that were sitting in my lap.

“No, I didn’t tell you everything.”

“Are you going to?” Brayden asked. I sighed, here we go again.

“That night, we had all been at a party, if that wasn’t obvious already. Sam and I were dating. He left to go get a drink, and I knew he was going to smoke, but there was really nothing I could do. So I hung out with some of my other friends and waited for him to come back. About an hour passed, so I obviously got a little worried. I went looking for him. He wasn’t outside, not in the kitchen, or the basement, or the bathroom. The next room I checked I found him. He was in a bedroom with another girl. I picked up a drink and threw it on him. He followed me, but I told him to get lost. Well it was meaner than that, but you know. Alex was both of our rides home that night, but since I was sober I ended up driving. We were driving down Michigan Avenue when Alex decided to yell at Sam for what he did to me. I stopped the car so that we didn’t end up in an accident, and the made their way to a nearby alley. And that’s everything you didn’t know. Oh, and Alex liked me. That’s why he got so mad at Sam. That’s also probably why Sam hasn’t heard from him.”

Brayden didn’t say anything. He just kept his eyes on the road. I looked out the window and started to cry, again. And for the third time today, Brayden reached over and held my hand. Oh what I would do to hold his hand forever. Wait…what was I saying? I’m supposed to hate this guy. Why is this so hard? I went back and forth in my mind for what seemed like forever. I just needed to talk to him, really talk to him.

When will it all make sense?

It’s been two days since I last talked to Brayden, two whole days! Yes, he’s been working, and went to start moving into ‘our’ apartment. But still, I think he’s avoiding me. I didn’t do anything wrong, did I? There was so much I still wanted to talk to him about, but since he hasn’t been around I haven’t gotten the chance to.

I walked downstairs to get breakfast and Brayden was there. I smiled at him, but he just gave me a head nod then walked away.

“Hey,” I called after him. He stopped but didn’t turn around.

“What?” he spat back.

“What’s your problem?”

“I don’t have a problem” He said turning around.

“Yes Brayden, you do. Why haven’t you been talking to me? Did I do something?”

“No, you didn’t do anything. I just, I’ve been a little stressed out.”

“About what, moving at the end of the week? Because I’m equally as stressed if you haven’t noticed. Oh, wait, you haven’t noticed because you’ve been avoiding me.”

“I’m not avoiding you Aubree! I just want a little space before I wake up and you’re there every single morning,” he said as he took a step towards me.

“Whoa, slow down there. We aren’t married.”

“You know what I mean,” he said and rolled his eyes.

“Will you just tell me, why right when I needed you most, and was finally starting to like you, you get all weird on me?” Brayden finally looked at me with a shocked look on his face.

“You were starting to like me?” He said, and moved closer.

“I let you hold my hand, didn’t I?”

“But I thought you still liked Sam…”

“What, no! Oh wow. No I don’t like him at all. I just wanted an apology for shooting me. I didn’t need the other one. I didn’t want it either. I promise that I don’t like him anymore. At all,” Brayden smiled. “Wait, is that why you were all weird? Because you thought I liked Sam?”

“Yeah, I know it sounds pathetic, but I couldn’t stand to even think about you with someone else,” Brayden told me. I smiled at that.

“So, it’s safe to say you aren’t hung up on any other girls?” I said and bit my lip.

“There’s nobody. I promise,” Brayden said.

With that, he walked forwards and leaned in, closing the space between us. He was inches from my face and my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest. He was just about to kiss me when I heard the back door slam shut. I quickly turned around whipping Brayden in the face with my blonde hair. I heard Brayden curse under his breath.

Aunt Rebecca walked in carrying more bags that she could handle. Brayden and I both rushed to help her.

“Oh thank you so much you two. Are you speaking again?” she asked.

“Yeah, we are,” I nodded and smiled at Brayden.

“Well, I’m going back out to run more errands. Have you started packing yet Aubree?”

“Um, no…”

“I’ll help you,” Brayden offered.

“Good, there are boxes in my room. Start packing.” And with that she was gone, and the moment was ruined. I smiled at Brayden and walked past him, making sure I brushed his chest a little bit. I skipped up the stairs and into my room. Brayden appeared in the doorway with a couple of boxes just minutes later.

“Ready?” he asked me.

“Let’s do this,” I said.

We spent the next few hours in my room packing stuff like picture frames, trophies, and my clothes into the boxes. I really didn’t have that much stuff so it didn’t take that long. Brayden and I talked about anything and everything. It was like we’d known each other for years. I surrender. I am completely falling for Brayden. He is everything I could have asked for and more. It only took me a week to figure it out. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and when he looked up at me and smiled I thought I had melted right there.

“What?” he asked me.

“Thank you,” I told him.

“For what? I don’t think I did anything.”

“Just, for everything. Helping me pack, dealing with everything so well, all that kind of stuff,” I said and blushed. He came over by me and was once again, inches from my face.

“Don’t mention it,” he said. Before I could think of something to say back he leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. I swear I saw fireworks. He was gentle, and I could tell he didn’t want to accidentally go too far. Despite my shock I found myself kissing him back. Our lips fit perfectly together like a puzzle piece, like they were meant for each other. My hands were in his soft honey blonde hair and his were on my waist. He slowly started to slip his hands under my shirt, and I immediately broke away.

“We’re not there yet,” I informed him.

“I know, I know, I know. I’m sorry. I’m a guy, I’m weak, so sue me,” Brayden winked.

I picked up a box and started to walk out of my room. Brayden followed with boxes in his arm as well. The piles stacked up in the dining room as we shuffled box after box down the stairs. There were a lot more than I thought. When we were done you couldn’t see the dining room table or the wall with the china cabinet on it.

“I really have that much stuff? Wow, I have to learn to get rid of stuff.” Brayden laughed. “Do you wanna go grab some lunch?”

“Um, I would love to, but I’m gonna have to take a rain check. I have some stuff to take care of this afternoon, and I work tonight,” he told me.

“Oh, that’s okay. I’m sure I can find plenty to do around here today. I think I’m going to go put on a swimsuit, and lay by the pool for a while,” I said with a flirtatious smile.

“You know, I can skip that stuff. It’s not that important anyways.” Brayden is such a guy.

“No that’s okay, you go. Rain check, remember?” I told him.

“Okay, I’m gonna hold you to that,” Brayden said with a wink and left.

I was falling in love with Brayden Miller. What’s a girl to do?

Chapter 5:

“Aubree honey, go get the packing tape from the kitchen. This box just collapsed in my hands!” Aunt Rebecca screamed from the drive way.

“Got it,” Brayden with the tape in hand, passing me at the front door.

Today was the day. We were putting all my boxes into three cars, if they fit. Brayden borrowed his friends SUV, and then we had my car, and my Aunt Rebecca’s car. I leaned up against the side of the house and watched Brayden pick up the boxes and put them in the truck. He had major muscles. Not body builder muscles or anything, because that’s not attractive, but the right amount of muscles. He was tan from being outside all summer, and the sun bounced off of his honey blonde hair. He turned around and flipped his hair. It was like the Justin Bieber hair flip, except I actually found this one extremely attractive. Before I knew it Brayden was at my side and whispered in my ear.

“It’s rude to stare,” he said and nudged me playfully.

“I was not staring,” I replied.

“Really, are you sure? I think there’s a puddle of drool on the ground.”

“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes and walked inside to get some more boxes.

A half an hour later all the boxes were loaded and I was in my car following Brayden and my Aunt to wherever this new apartment was. Aunt Rebecca lived in Evanston, a town about thirteen miles from downtown Chicago. We traveled those thirteen miles and ended up in a neighborhood downtown Chicago, Lincoln Square to be exact. It was a nice neighborhood, not one of the scary Chicago neighborhoods. We pulled up into the side alley next to a group of row houses.

Wow, I can’t believe this is actually happening right now. I turned off my car and just sat there. Seconds later Brayden tapped on the window.

“Are you alright?” he asked me. I nodded and got out of the car. “Wanna go see it?”

“Yeah,” I smiled. We walked around to the front of the buildings and up the stairs on the first home we passed. Brayden unlocked the front door and I followed him inside. The entry to the house was surprisingly big. There was a closet to my left, and stairs to my right. I walked straight ahead and found myself in the massive kitchen. It was all white with navy blue cabinets and stainless steel appliances. There was a breakfast bar and a small nook with a booth and table. There was also a larger table that seated eight. To my left there was the living room. A flat screen hung on the wall that was lined with bookshelves. There was a sectional couch and a few chairs. It looked cozy, almost cottage like.

Next we went downstairs to the basement. It was finished with an even bigger flat screen than the one upstairs. It had a huge couch and several chairs. There was a bar area downstairs along with a pool table. There was of course a storage room, a bedroom, and a bathroom also downstairs. After that we went to the top floor. There was a loft area that looked down on the foyer. There were three bedrooms and two baths upstairs. The master was huge. It had an amazing walk in closet and a massive bathroom. If Brayden thought he was sleeping in here, he was way wrong. The other two bedrooms were connected by a Jack and Jill bathroom. They both had walk in closets, but neither compared to the master.

I had to admit, this was an amazing house. I loved it.

“So?” Brayden asked.

“I call the master,” I smiled and made my way outside to start bringing in boxes from the cars. It took a lot less time to bring in my stuff than it did to pack it all in. We only dropped a couple of boxes, but they had clothes in them, nothing breakable. Unpacking was a different story. There was stuff everywhere. The foyer floor was nowhere in sight. This was going to take forever.

“Brayden, what are you doing?” I screamed at him as he sat in the living room watching the TV and not even bothering to help.

“Watching TV, is that a problem?”

“Yes, I would love some help here.”

“I got all my stuff done, you just have way to much crap,” he stated.

“Don’t even start with me. Besides, you’re a guy and you’re supposed to help me. I’m not supposed to be strong, remember?”

“Ah, but my darling, you are strong and you can do this on your own.”

“That’s beside the point. Will you just come help me please?” I asked him and threw in the puppy dog face just because.

“Fine,” he said and rolled his eyes.

About an hour later the foyer floor was visible. The floor in my bedroom however, had gotten worse. I really don’t like this whole moving and unpacking thing.

“Knock, knock,” someone said. I looked down over the banister to see Jenn, Stephanie, Ava, and Maddie standing in the foyer.

“Hey! What are you guys doing here?” I said.

“Well, we stopped by your house, but Aunt Rebecca said you live…here now. Why?”

“Oh, it’s kind of a long…”

“Hey Aubree, where do you, oh sorry…” Brayden said. Jenn immediately shot me a ‘what the hell’ look.

“Uh, guys this is Brayden.” I said, and braced myself for what was coming.

I mean, What’s A Girl to Do?

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Oh, I love this. It is rather fast-paced, but I love it. If it's alright to ask, is there more coming? I would love it, if there is more. You're an amazing and talented writer and person. You really have such a talent and greatness in you. It's true. :) Thank you so much, for sharing this. 

on Sep. 6 2011 at 4:27 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I'm only on chapter two, but I love what you have going so far. I think you could take the story a tad slower though--everything seems to be happening at a really fast pace. I feel like the main character should be a bit more shocked at certain parts. Other than that, great job at what you have. The writing was pretty good overall. :)