Among the Stars | Teen Ink

Among the Stars

March 18, 2011
By TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
More by this author
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare


Author's note: When i wrote this, i didn't know where it would go. I just mainly saw the setting: a snowy beach in Cape Cod. the rest just flowed on......

I looked at my phone—45 minutes late. I sighed, picking up the pace. The sun had long gone now, and the day was slowly getting colder. Of course, not that it wasn’t already cold. It was late February, not usually the time anyone would visit the beach. Tonight—however, was an exception.

I shrugged farther into my big jacket, as the sea breeze danced along. The wind ruffled my short cropped hair. The sand underneath was hard and wet, nothing like it’s dry, hot summer counterpart. I looked towards the water. Nothing. No one.

She must’ve left. I thought. But it was too hard to tell, too far away. I had to be sure. Soon enough I was running towards the water, looking for her. I stopped a foot away from the water. The waves crashed up and down--a rhythmic balance. Storm clouds floated ominously overhead, but I didn’t pay them any attention.

I looked around again. There was no one on the beach—though why should there be? It was the dead of winter, and the water would be icy. I saw a lump of clothes over to my left. I went over, curious. They were her boots and jacket, lying on the sand. Her thick jacket was neatly folded.

I looked out again towards the water, hoping to see a sign—or more specifically, I hoped to see nothing.

She couldn’t have…….I thought. But then again, it was something she would’ve done.

I remember talking about going swimming last December: to kick off the New Years, she had said. That’s sounds like your worst idea yet, I had told her. She had laughed, but I knew she wasn’t joking. Maybe, I thought in a twisted perspective, this was her chance.

My eyes frantically scanning the troughs and crests of the waves, I searched for a spot of black hair, or a glimpse of pale skin. In the end, it was neither of those I found. It was her slim hand, rising above the waves, fighting to get through.

Without thinking, I took off my jacket, and shoes, throwing them in a mess on the sand. I bounded in, swimming towards her.

The water was icy cold, and felt like millions of tiny knives were stabbing my skin. Yet, the only thing on my mind was worry. I was terrified I wouldn’t get to her, or that I would die before I could even see her. Nonetheless, I approached her, my arms plowing through the aggressive waves. She was barely afloat, and when she saw me, she tried to smile. Her arms were waving frantically, trying to help her tread water. Fatigue was evident on her face—if I had been any longer she would’ve died.

A giant wave crashed above my head, pulling me under. I couldn’t tell which was up, and which was down. The gray sky didn’t look much different from the murky depths of the ocean when there was a film of water between it. My body, however, could tell. I could feel myself lifting, popping back up out of the water. I sputtered, and my eyes started to tear, but I could see her beginning to sink.

Her teeth chattered so much, she couldn’t say anything. Her thin, black hair was plastered to her forehead, and her body was limp.
“Caleb.” She mouthed my name, her voice a whisper. I could hardly hear her between the panting of my own breath, and the crashing of the waves.

I grabbed her arm, and swam towards the shore, dragging her along with me. I didn’t say a word. I didn’t have to—she knew I was mad at her.

When the water finally got knee deep, I picked her up, and carried her like a baby. Her body was limp, and her breathing was ragged. The clothes stuck to her body, and her normally olive skin was pale and gaunt. She was asleep, so it seemed, but I felt that she was battling something much larger than sleep.

I struggled to get out of the water, the chill of it had seeped into my bones; it felt overwhelming. I put her gently on the sand, and wrapped my large coat on top of her. Sensing a stop in motion, she slowly peeled open her eyes. She gave me a shaky smile—yet I offered none to her.
“I didn’t think you were going to show.” Her raspy voice croaked out.
“So you decided to drown yourself?” I said, it was difficult to keep my voice in control.
“No. I decided to go out for a swim.” She said, her voice light, like she was discussing the weather.
“In the winter?!” I said, unable to keep my voice down.
“Yes.” For once she looked sheepish, and if her skin wasn’t so pale, she would’ve been blushing.
“January Snow, I’ll—“

She grimaced. She had never liked it when people called her January. Her mother loved winter, so when she had married a man with the last name ‘Snow’ it seemed too good to be true. She had named her first daughter January, because it was her favorite month of the year, and the month January herself was born in.
“What, Caleb Brown, what?” her voice was harsh and sharp, annoyance underlying her tone. It was kind of difficult to take her seriously though, because she was shaking so violently. Her teeth chattered, and for a moment I worried she had hypothermia. Something on my face told her I was getting worried, because she replied, “Caleb, I’m fine, I’m not cold. I’m getting hot, actually.”

Jan started to take off my jacket. It was soaking wet.
“No!” I was more worried about her than I was about me; she had been in that water for longer than I had. She gave me a dirty look.
“You said you needed to talk to me?” I switched the subject quickly. Jan sat up; her face looking puzzled for a moment.

I almost worried that she had lost some memory for a quick second—but then her expression cleared up.
“Yes. I--” Her face was wistful, like she was trying to choose her words carefully.
“You what?” I could sense something wrong. She was troubled.
“Caleb, I—“
“Look, if this is too hard for you, you don’t have to tell me.” I said, putting a hand on her shoulder. It almost seemed like too much for her fragile body to take: the cold, the jarring impact of the water, and the lack of heat when she needed it the most.
“No!” her voice was quick and decisive. Obviously, this was something big.
“You know how you’re always saying that you don’t know what you’d do without me?”
“Yes.” I already know where this is going. I can feel it, a sense of dread instinctive to me. A wave of apprehension crashed over me.
“Well, I’m--” She bit her lip, and sighed. January looked away from me, looking up towards the sky.

Little white flakes of snow tumbled down to Earth, as if a message from the heavens. They fell on us, dotting her hair, and eyelashes, melting into the snow. This was the wintry Cape Cod weather at its height. Jan looked away from me, and I could tell what she was going to tell me.
“I’m moving.” She twisted the last word in her mouth like a profanity, never looking back to see my face. It felt horribly wrong to hear it coming from her, but I knew it was no lie.

I’m glad she didn’t decide to watch my expression, because if she had, she would’ve been scared. A wave of anger, and sadness crept over my features.
“When?” I managed to croak out.

She didn’t answer.
“When?!” I said, louder this time. A lack of response already told me my answer.
“Tomorrow.” Her voice was tiny and insignificant.
“What?” the breath in my lungs disappeared.
“My dad’s getting transferred. My mom hates it. We’re moving to Georgia.” She smiled then, looking towards me, hoping to see me smile. My expression simply remained stony. Her mother hated the hot weather, and there was little chance of actual snow in the South.

I didn’t reply. I didn’t think I could force out an answer without losing it, and I knew I had to be strong.
“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”
“I don’t know.” She said, her voice light and airy. “I hoped I wouldn’t have to tell you.”
“It was just a thought at first, you know.” She added. “Then my dad got the job offer, and we started packing, and my mom and dad would just argue about it for hours on end.
“I never expected her to give in. I always thought that she would end it, tell him that it wasn’t fair. But then she started packing too—and not much later—so did I.”

The snow was falling faster now, drizzling down in whirlwinds of white flakes, the breeze carrying it farther and farther before it ever landed anywhere. I looked at it in longing. I wished I was the wind, flying and soaring, away from the Earth, not tied down to it.

I lie back on the sand, my body protesting at the chills it gave my skin. The stars were out. It was clear black, with little dots sprinkling the sky. I thought I could spot Orion’s belt.
“Aren’t you gonna say anything?” January asked. She was as still as a statue, awaiting my answer.
“Have fun.” I said, my voice utterly hollow. I could hear her take a deep breath of air—she gasped. She was expecting more. She was expecting me to fall on my knees crying or a heartfelt exclamation of I Love You—the three words I could never say. We were just friends today—and that’s all we ever would be.

We had been best friends since she had first moved here—in the third grade. We’d been inseparable ever since. January and I were each other’s closest friends. I never thought that would change, I always anticipated for us to go to college together one day, and maybe become something better than friends. But it was evident that that was never going to happen.
“What?” she said, her voice barely audible. She was shivering uncontrollably and I almost wrapped her in my arms, or took her back home. But I was too stunned to say or do much.
“Have fun in Georgia.” I added, like she didn’t know what I was talking about. But she was, and I hadn’t misunderstood her.
“Will you write? Keep in touch, you know?” this was her last resort; she wanted to hear some attribute, something that told her I cared. I only felt empty.
“I don’t know. It’s gonna be hard, with school and everything.”

I didn’t look at her face. She was on the verge of tears—I could smell it in the air.
“Oh, ok.” I could feel her stare boring into my skin like lasers. “Well, that’s it. That’s all I wanted to tell you, Caleb.”

Her voice was hard.
“Goodbye, Caleb.” She stood up, expecting at least a hug. She shrugged off my jacket. It fell hopelessly on the sand. I didn’t turn my face around.
“Goodbye, January Snow.”

I couldn’t see her wince. All of a sudden, she reached down and kissed me on the cheek. She picked up her boots, jacket, and ran barefoot in the sand. She hurried off; I could hear her feet shuffling, her legs taking her far away. If I had listened close enough, maybe I would’ve heard her crying softly—but I didn’t.

I should’ve told her something: told her I would miss her, or I would call her, or something. But I didn’t. I stared up at the sky, hoping to find my answers. The stars perpetually twinkled, and snow fell endlessly. It was now a full on blizzard, but I didn’t get up to leave. Not just yet. As I stared up into the sky, flakes of snow fell on me. I wished for nothing more than the snow to pick me up and whisk me away, where maybe, just maybe, it would float me so high that I would land among the stars.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 21 comments.


TheGoodTwin said...
on Apr. 2 2012 at 4:59 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

No, sorry. i have no idea where my characters would go after this. IF there is even a story left to tell. But i'll think about it. I meant it to be a short story in itself, not like an actual chapter in a book but thank you! 
As for her name, well, i have a secret penchant for interesting and unusual names. I don't remember exactly how i came up with january snow(it was a long time ago) but i think that I just wanted a name that would go perfectly with my setting. 

on Apr. 2 2012 at 4:35 am
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other
2 articles 0 photos 110 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

are you planning to continue this? because i think it has a lot of potential to be turned into a longer story!

but i do love it the way it is, not too cliche and every so sweet. i love the name 'january snow'- how'd you come up with that?


on Jan. 2 2012 at 11:13 pm
C.L.Erins BRONZE, Nunn, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
The past is like a pen. You can always cross it out, but you can never erase it. ( unless you have one of those special erasable pens and in that case... well you are lucky)

lol its good to be different :)

TheGoodTwin said...
on Jan. 2 2012 at 11:00 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

Thank you! I always try to be different....maybe a little too hard! lol

on Jan. 2 2012 at 8:14 pm
C.L.Erins BRONZE, Nunn, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
The past is like a pen. You can always cross it out, but you can never erase it. ( unless you have one of those special erasable pens and in that case... well you are lucky)

wow you are a really good writer!! i really liked the setting of the story cause i usually dont accociate snow with the beach, really creative :)

TheGoodTwin said...
on Aug. 23 2011 at 5:47 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

Thanks! i like her a lot, too. i also think that cliches are overrated(which is why they call them cliches) and try to stay as far away from them as i can. Thanks for your input!

on Aug. 23 2011 at 4:56 pm
Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other
17 articles 2 photos 118 comments

Favorite Quote:
Preserve your memories, keep them well; what you forget, you can never retell.

this is relly good! i really like January because she's a really good character, unexpecting and different. i also like that the story didn't have a cliche ending - just perfect! 

TheGoodTwin said...
on Aug. 1 2011 at 4:01 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

thanks a bunch. ;) but just a question, do you think the "moving" thing was a little too corny or melodramatic? My "Evil" Twin was saying that. Or maybe she was just being cynical......what do you think?

Squeaks BRONZE said...
on Aug. 1 2011 at 3:01 pm
Squeaks BRONZE, Glen Allen, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Some people just don't know when to quit." --from the back of my XC team's 200 summer mile club T-shirt

This is really good, Twin. I wish you would think about continuing it, but if that's where you would like to stop, I think it is perfect just the way it is. You are an excellent writer, you put plenty of feeling and a great balance of description and action and all that. :)

TheGoodTwin said...
on Jul. 2 2011 at 4:08 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

Hahaha. So would I. This piece was written for school as a short story and I had to post it in teenink. I never even considered a different ending--mostly because I wanted it to be one of those open ended short stories I hate so much; the kind that held infinite possibilities. Either way, January and Caleb could get together and have one of those passionate long distance relationships--if you're a hopeless romantic. Or they could grow apart, never quite realizing what they had--if you're a realist. But no matter what, whatever ending you dream of for my characters, rest assured that it would probably be much better than anything I could come up with. If you want to read more of my writing though, please check out Hands Stained Red in the action-adventure novels or Away From Tragedy in the Realistic Fic novels. Good luck and thanks for reading!!

RRRRR BRONZE said...
on Jul. 1 2011 at 12:07 pm
RRRRR BRONZE, Orrville, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is when you don't."- Pete Seeger

"I didn't quit because I wasn't strong enough to live through it, i stopped because i was strong enough to move on." -Unknown

Please keep going. I would love to know what happens. Seriously.

on May. 19 2011 at 6:55 pm
TheEvilTwin BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Speak softly and carry a big stick. -Theodore Roosevelt

Like 20 min ago

TheGoodTwin said...
on May. 19 2011 at 6:43 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

And by the way, when did you create an account?

 


TheGoodTwin said...
on May. 19 2011 at 6:42 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

Ouchess. Well, moving, most of the time, sucks

on May. 19 2011 at 6:30 pm
TheEvilTwin BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Speak softly and carry a big stick. -Theodore Roosevelt

Hey! My friend agreed with me that it IS corny. Moving IS NOT dying.

TheGoodTwin said...
on May. 19 2011 at 6:09 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

*Sigh* i guess i can never satisfy the beast! LOL. Well, and no, i was think Asian, not white girl with black hair. DUH! And it's supposed to be like life and death! To me, it IS like life and death. and Corny isn't that bad, i wasn't planning on adding or anything to it anyway....and btw thanks. And just so you know, I'm the BIG sis. not the LITTLE!

TheEvilTwin said...
on May. 19 2011 at 5:28 pm

Secondly, the girl's appearance is a little cliche. Who's been reading Beautiful Creatures? But overall, nice job, lil sissy

 


TheEvilTwin said...
on May. 19 2011 at 5:26 pm
Like my screen name, Sis? Okay, here's the criticism: First of all, it's a little corny. That's not to say it's bad- it's good. It's just corny, too. Second, you act like the moving thing is life or death. When she said, "i need to tell you something," i thought all sorts of other stuff. Come out with it. The gap left my mind to wander to "inappropriate" items.

Mary_S. said...
on May. 3 2011 at 4:48 pm
Mary_S., Grand Blanc, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Welcome to the New World, where you'd better watch your neck."

You're welcome :) And you don't have to add more if you never intended to, it's just that I feel there's more to be explained.

TheGoodTwin said...
on May. 2 2011 at 4:16 pm
TheGoodTwin, Fort Mill, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

--Shakespeare

Hahaha. I'm glad you finally found it! lol. Yeah, i guess he does, doesn't he? I've never really considered writing more, since it was something i wrote for school. But i'll really think about it......Thanks for posting!