The Bus Crush | Teen Ink

The Bus Crush

Author's note:

I've been working on this short story for about a month now, and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Monday, September 13th, 2022 was the day I met her. I was doing everyday things on the bus. My Chemical Romance blasting in my headphones, throwing my backpack into the seat so that it looks full, and eating a Strawberry Pop Tart I found in the back of the pantry somewhere. 

Every day was the same until that Monday. I had a feeling that something was going to happen. So instead of pushing my backpack into the remainder of the seat, I decided to put it on my knees, hugging it against my chest. I put my cheek against the soft fabric, and kind of closed my eyes, and just imagined that I was anywhere else but here. 

Then she showed up. 

“Hi…the other seats are full, can I sit here?” A beautiful girl with long blonde hair asked me. She had icy-blue eyes, and a smile that I know was there, but I couldn’t see underneath her mask.

“Uh…” I blanked out. She was just so beautiful.

“Oh, it’s OK, I’ll find somewhere else to sit.” She started to walk away, but I couldn’t let her go. 

“Wait, um, no, it’s fine. You can sit here.” I pat the seat next to me.

“Oh really? Thank you!” She sat down next to me, and my heart started beating fast. I began to sweat.

“I like your mask!” She pointed to the white mask with orange foxes on it.

“Oh, thank you!” I smiled, but she couldn’t see. Of course. 

We sat in silence for a few minutes until I asked, “So, do you want to listen to some of my music?” Why did I say that? No one’s listened to My Chemical Romance since-

“Sure!” She took an earbud out of my ear, and placed it in hers. She began to sing along to the song. My heart was beating even faster.

“You listen to MCR?” I asked, my eyes bulging.

“Yes! They’re my favorite band! I thought no one else listened to them.” She clapped her hands a few times.

“Oh wow! Um, that's awesome!” 

The rest of the way to school, we talked about our favorite MCR songs, if we’ve gone to any concerts (I haven’t, but she has!), how we got into the band, and the more we talked, the more I fell in love with her, and the more I wanted to kiss her.

Her phone went off, and it surprised us both. We had been so deep in conversation, it’s like we shut off everyone in the world.

“Oh, hold on.” She put a finger up, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a sparkly phone case. 

She giggled as she looked down at her phone. I saw her type in many heart emojis. My gut sank. 

“This is my girlfriend!” She told me. She pulled out a picture of yet another beautiful girl with chestnut-brown hair and cute glasses. 

“Aw, she’s pretty!” I said, faking a happy voice. Screw it! She couldn’t even see my face. 

“I know, right? She’s just perfect.” Her eyes went all dreamy-like, and I felt tears swelling up my eyes.

“Oh, we’re here. Thanks for letting me sit with you! What’s your name, by the way?” 

“Oh, Gene. You?” 

“Kacee!”

She got up, as did I. I stood, looking at the ground in silence. Once we were let out of the bus, I walked into my classroom, still looking down. 

When I had gotten home, I threw my stuff onto the floor of my bedroom, opened my laptop, and messaged my friend, Raine, on Google Chat.

DNAGene13: Hey, what’s up?

I waited 20 minutes for a response.

Raine_Storm: Sorry I took so long to reply! I had to take the long way home. 

Raine_Storm: Nothing much is going on besides a boatload of homework. How are you?

I started to type “Well, I pretty much got rejected-” No, I didn’t even ask the girl out. “My day sucked-” No, it was only that part of the morning. I finally thought of a message.

DNAGene13: I think I might be bisexual

Raine_Storm: Really?! Congrats! How come? Cute girl? Can relate. I get lesbian panic so often.

DNAGene13: Yeah. Her name is Kacee <3

Raine_Storm: Like Kacee from camp?

DNAGene13: Spelled the same way, but not her. 

Raine_Storm: How did you guys meet? Did you meet?
DNAGene13: Yeah! We were on the bus, and she asked to sit with me. Turns out, she listens to MCR too <3

Raine_Storm: Oooh, yeah! I’m happy for you!
DNAGene13: Thanks! Bad news is…

Raine_Storm: Oh no, what’s wrong?

DNAGene13: She has a girlfriend…

Raine_Storm: Gene, I’m so sorry. Well, at least you know she’s a part of the community! Maybe there’s a chance for you if they break up!
DNAGene13: LOL. 

Raine_Storm: Are you guys like…friends now?

DNAGene13: Kind of. We just talked about MCR the whole time, nothing more. Then she showed me pics of her gf.

Raine_Storm: Ah. You should talk to her again tomorrow!
DNAGene13: Yeah! I should go, my mom will be home soon.

Raine_Storm: OK. By Gene! 

Raine’s online status bar went from green to gray. Xe must’ve exed out the tab. I closed my laptop with a heaving sigh, and hopped off my bed, walking down the stairs into the kitchen. My brother was down there making a sandwich.

“Yo.” I sat down at the counter in sort of a swaying motion.

“Hey.” He took a big bite out of the sandwich. “Cute boy?” He always knows when something’s wrong.

“No. Cute girl.” 

“Ah, so you are gay.” 

“Shut up!” I threw a piece of lettuce at him.

“Aaa! Lettuce! I’m so scared!” He squealed in a sarcastic tone.

“She’s really cute though.” 

“I don’t know whether I’m more shocked that you’re crying over a girl, or that you’re sticking your hand in the tomato soup.”

I looked down, and indeed I was sticking my hand into a bowl of tomato soup.

“Max, I am going crazy.” 

“Girls. They are indeed pretty.”

“Aren’t you gay?”

“Pft, hell yeah.” 

We both laughed, and I went back upstairs. I logged into my school email, and searched up “Kacee” in the compose box. 

Only one Kacee. I chuckled a little. I looked at the profile picture-a picture of two girls taking a selfie. One with blonde hair, one with chestnut-brown hair. 

“This must be her.” 

I composed a message. 

Hey, it’s Gene, from the bus! How are you? Do you think you’d want to sit with me again tomorrow?

Every five minutes, I would check and refresh my inbox about a million times. Finally I saw a genebrooks2026@gmail.com(1) notification come across my screen. I opened the tab, seeing an email from the address kaceewilliams2026@gmail.com in my “new email” section. I opened it.

Hey Gene! What’s good! I’m fine :) Ofc I want to sit with you tomorrow! What about lunch as well?I

I smiled. I can’t believe she actually wanted to be friends with me! I bit my lip.

I replied with “Yeah, sure!”. I closed my laptop, and then…I woke up.