A touch | Teen Ink

A touch

By Melanievargas0701, South Houston, Texas
Melanievargas0701, South Houston, Texas

Author's note:

This story is based on another story and has Greek mythology.

Persephone arose from bed early in the morning and is now on her way to the New Athens cafe with her Best friend Lexa taking on their usual morning routines. Persephone couldn't help but to hear people inside the cafe talking about Hades, Persephone has always been curious about Hades: she turned  to look at Lexa “Hades, Hades, Hades everyone is always talking about the one and only Hades” Persephone complains. “You shouldn’t be one to talk Persephone, you are always talking about his gambles and his contracts with people” Lexa says. “Because have you never thought about the punishments Hades gives to innocent human beings and ruins their lives?” Lexa looks at Persephone with a sinister smile, “well….. If you’re so interested in that god, let’s go ask him” Persephone’s eyes widen at those words rolling out of Lexa’s tongue, “ What?! Are you crazy?? How would we even do that” “We will go to to Nevernight, Hades always holds events there and i’ve heard that’s where he gambles with people you can possibly sneak to some room and find him and find out everything you’ve been wanting to know about the one and only Hades the love of your life” Lexa excitedly says “You’re delusional Lex, as if I could never love such a person like him, I’m just curious on why he does what he does to people or if he’s actually not how people say he is” but Persephone thought to herself “I’ve always wanted to visit nevernight but my mother would go insane if she found out i sneaked out to go to Nevernight and even more at the thought of knowing Hades would be there” Persephone’s mother Demeter was really over protective over Persephone, she would rarely let her go out because she didn’t want people to find out her daughter was a goddess. She would never let her go to Nevernight because she didn’t want other gods to take power over her or mess with her mind, Hades was one of the gods Demeter wouldn’t let Persephone get close with but that’s because Hades wasn’t just. a god, Hades was the god of the underworld, the god of the dead. “We’re going, tonight meet me at my house so we can go” Persephone told lexa. Lexa had a big smile on her face “ We will have so much fun”.

Persephone and Lexa later on arrived at Nevernight, heading to the entrance; they was an ogre which worked for Nevernight. “Do yall have an invitation Ladies?” the ogre asked. “Yes we do but we unfortunately left it at home” said Persephone. “Then i’m afraid you both can’t come in, people move out the way and let other important people come in” The ogre said rudely. “Excuse me? Are you saying we aren’t important” Lexa yelled “no invitation, no respect, no entrance” said the ogre. Persephone looked at the ogre with an awfully angry face, she didn’t tolerate disrespect and surely was going to get her and Lexa inside. “Excuse us,” Persephone said while grabbing lexa and heading inside. The ogre looked at Persephone furious and lifted her up the ground by the neck and strangled her. “You two little girls need to leave” while leaving her barely any airway for her to breathe. Lexa screamed “Let her down!” Persephone couldn’t do much; the only thing that would save her was for her to show her true form. Persephone showed her horns and her true form was now out, the ogre looked at Persephone with widened eyes “I’m so sorry goddess, I didn’t know, my apologies your friend and you may enter, follow me”. “No need, we know the way in” Persephone turns and tells the ogre.

Persephone and Lexa walk inside Nevernight greeted by security on the side, “Let’s head to the bar and get some drinks” says Lexa and Persephone follow. “We’d just like two of those please” Lexa orders while Persephone's eyes roam the whole place, she had never been to Nevernight and this was probably the first and last time she would be there so she wanted to take a good look around, everything about Nevernight looked beautiful to her. “Here you go ladies, this was sent from the young man over there, he told me to serve you these and they’re on him” Lexa and Persephone turned to look at the man as he was headed their way. “Good evening my ladies, I’m Adonis”. “Greetings I’m Lexa and this is my friend Persephone” Persephone was about to greet him when her eyes landed up stairs to some man who was staring down at everyone and made eye contact with Persephone but then Headed to a dark glass window room and disappeared in the distance. “You guys can go ahead and talk more. I'm going to get another drink” Persephone tells Alexa and Adonis and walks away. Persephone heads upstairs where she saw the man heading to, She found the same glass window room and slightly pulled the door open. “Hello, is anyone here?”  Persephone yells out to the so looking empty room. “Shall i help you with something today my lady?” a voice echoed from inside the room. Persephone heard it but didn’t know where it was coming from so she decided to walk deeper into the room, where she saw a man sitting down at a table with poker cards laying in a stack. “Would you like a game?” The man says “I don’t know how to play” Persephone tells the man “You won't learn unless you try” the guy tells Persephone “and i won’t learn unless you teach me sir” Persephone sits in the glass table and the man hands her some cards and they start playing

After some time Persephone gets a text from Lexa saying they should head out before Demeter finds out they have left, and so she gets up from the table to say goodbye when she realizes she hasn’t even greeted herself to the man. “My apologies, I just realized I never introduced myself, I’m Persephone this is my first night coming here and you?” The guy takes a look into Persephone's eyes and stays quiet for a second. “Greetings I’m Hades” Persephone swallows and looks at him in the eyes with disgust, “It’s you, the god of the underworld, of the end” Persephone steps back and starts heading out the door. “Oh do you really want to leave without knowing what bargain you have to fulfill for me now?” Hades says. Persephone turns back to look at him “Excuse me? Bargain to fulfill? First of all, you were showing me how to play. I never agreed to gamble with you. What is your problem? I'm not fulfilling anything for you. Now I understand why people talk down on you” Persephone angrily tells Hades. Hades looks at persephone and laughs “ You will create life in my underworld, and once you’re done you won’t owe me anything”Hades says  “You’re out of your mind, I’m leaving” Persephone walks to the door “Lady Persephone, my goddess you really want your mother to find out you came to Nevernight and even worse you made a contract with me the god of the dead?” Persephone looks at Hades in shock “How do you know i’m a goddess how do you know my mother?”. “Us Gods we can tell in between gods” Hades looks at Persephone “I know everything about you so i think it’s best for us to get to know each other since you’ll be coming here everyday to fulfill your contract” Hades smiles and leaves the room. Persephone has no other choice but to do what Hades tells her, her mother can’t find out she went to nevernight or even worse know about the contract.Persephone wakes up the next morning and heads out to the underworld. “I’m here, I will need you to help me with this” Persephone tells Hades. Hades looks at Persephone and smiles “But this is your contract not mine why shall i help you?” Persephone looks at hades “Oh yeah i forgot you don't help people, but at least tell that ugly ogre you have to never disrespect a woman and to never lay a hand on me ever again” Hades goes up close to persephone and holds her hand “What? He hurt you? When was this? Today?” Persephone is in shock and pushes away Hades hand “No it was yesterday, he wouldn't let my friend and i inside and so we tried coming in and he strangled me” Hades looks at Persephone ``Tell me if he hurts you again, Tell me if anyone hurts you” Persephone couldn't believe those words that came out of Hades mouth, they made her feel protected but she couldn't feel like that, not by the god of the dead. He hurts people. She knew she couldn't feel any sort of way for him. As the days passed by and Persephone went to the underworld everyday, Hades and her were getting closer: she still had to fulfill her contract but she wasn't mad about it as the days passed by, she felt some sort of comfort being with Hades, but she knew she couldn't feel that way she knew she couldn't be in love with him A goddess with the god of the dead?” Never.