It Had To Be You | Teen Ink

It Had To Be You

By syrushi BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire
syrushi BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire

Author's note:

This piece hold a special place in my heart. It is short and simple but still holds a lot of meaning in it. I always loved the idea of soulmates with bringing that idea into writing but putting a twist in it, just makes it so much more of a mystery. 

It is her birthday, she finally turns 18! The age that finally reveals your tattoos for your soulmate. 

It Had To Be You

I was surrounded by all my loved ones and I still felt alone. I made a wish when blowing out my candles, which is the question everyone has to wish for when you turn my age, 18. “Show me my tattoos.” I didn’t feel anything like I was the same person, but I didn’t feel like any tingle or stinging sensation. “What did you get honey?” a phone was stuck in front of my face. I nervously pulled up the sleeves on my shirt. On the left near my forearm, I had a compass and my right on my wrist were a couple of stars. I froze in place, my eyes fixed on the tattoos. “Well honey,” Dad questioned. I jumped out of my seat and exclaimed to my family, “look!” Everyone gathered around me in awe and congratulated me. I knew mine wasn’t as amazing as my parents, but I knew it meant something to whoever my soulmate is. 

As time passed, I began to think I would never find whoever my soulmate is. It has been months without a trace of anyone with the same tattoos as me. Once I found someone with the same tattoos like me, I would know that they are my soulmate. I am asked now and then, “still nothing?” or “you STILL haven’t found them yet.” I started to watch the people I knew to find and meet their soulmates. My classmate met their soulmate on a roller coaster when they were seated on the ride, while another met their soulmate at their job! I had fantasies about how I would meet my soulmate, like maybe how they would bump into me on the streets making me drop my stuff and help me pick it up then realize we have the same tattoos and fall magically in love. Then again, they might be miles away from me in Paris or Switzerland. Every day seemed like an endless loop of eternity, and I started to become miserable. My stomach was never hungry, my mind was clouded with thoughts, and I never had any energy to do anything anymore. It wasn’t me, and my parents were starting to take notice. They would do everything in their power to help me, like take me out to my favorite restaurant then go and watch a movie, but even then I still felt unhappy. At the end of the day, I would pretend I was doing better for my parents so they did not have to worry, then trudge back into my room and stare out my window and imagine what kind of person my soulmate is and if they are thinking the same thing I am thinking. It made me feel better knowing that they might be wondering where I am, what I’m doing. I felt more at peace with knowing that.

The girl got tickets to her favorite celebrities concert! Filled with excitement, she forgot her worries and sorrows about finding her soulmate! Although her soulmate might be lurking about..

Tickets were shoved in front of me when I was told to open my eyes. I came back from school to have my Mom tell me she had a surprise for me and to close my eyes. Johnny Wilde tickets! He was my celebrity crush for years, I basically started my teen years with his music by my side. He started off doing music when he was 15, I was 13 at the time, and his music always got better and better. His song, “From The Bottom” was my favorite and I played it on my little iPod every day when going to school. It was that one song that you would replay over and over and never get tired of. I screamed at the top of my lungs, grabbed the tickets, and danced around like a wild woman. My Mom stood at the doorway laughing and smiling while watching me twirl around the living room. I stopped and turned to my Mom. Tears strolled down her rosy cheeks and a wide smile. I ran up to her and hugged her tightly, her arms embracing me with warmth. I love seeing my baby girl’s smile return back to her face Mom said with a sad smile.

I changed out of the bummy clothes I wore for the day, into something more fit for a concert. I kept thinking about if I did meet Johnny, I wanted to at least look presentable for my long-time celebrity crush. Something inside of me felt like this was meant to happen, almost like deja vu in a way. We drove an hour or two to the concert area, and all I can think about is how I couldn’t believe this was really happening. As we inched closer and closer to the event, my arms started to ache, but it only hurt around the areas where my tattoos were. I touched around my tattoos, trying to massage them but then it dawned on me. What if I met my soulmate here, what if this IS what is supposed to happen. I never pictured meeting my soulmate at a Johnny Wilde concert, but it is better than nothing. My cheeks hurt so much due to me smiling the entire car ride there, and my heart started to race faster and faster. When we walked into the building, the bustle of people surrounded every hallway entrance. Sometimes I liked to think I was the only one who loved Johnny, but then I remember he had over a million or so fans. I saw girls wearing Johnny merch, from t-shirts to hats with his actual autograph, some even had a pillow with Johnny’s face on it. The only thing I had that was Johnny’s old merch from when he first started, which was a keychain he used to have in store with a phrase he used to say which was, “When nothing goes right, go left.” I held the keychain in my pocket tightly, hoping I was the only one who had it. We finally found our seats, which were 4 rows away from the very front. I was jealous of those in front because Johnny always interacted with that row, handing out hand kisses and winks as he struts by on stage. I massaged my arms, still feeling that aching feeling, but it slowly disappeared as the concert started to begin. The area started to grow dark around me, I wasn’t even able to see my Mom’s face anymore. Music started up, and dancers entered the stage, twirling and spinning around. My eyes couldn’t stay put on one dancer, all of them wore flashy colorful outfits that shimmered throughout the entire stage, each one having different elegant moves. I started to grow bored of the beautiful dancers, but then they freeze and all the lights go out. Colored lights started flashing, fog gathering up on the stage, and time began to feel like it was slowing down. There, in the midst of the thick fog, was him. He was even more amazing in person, higher than my expectations to be honest. At that moment, life felt like it wasn’t even really like it was all just a fever dream. “Are you guys ready to have some fun!” he shouted from the stage. He stood on a tall pillar, higher than all the other dancers, his fluffy black hair waving in the air. Everything became muffled like my hearing was starting to defend. All around me was blurred, even my Mom who was looking at me with such excitement was a blur. All I could focus on at that very moment was him. As the pillar lowered, he made his way onto the stage with the other dancers. He begins to sing his first song “To All Those Who Have Found Love,”  and I swear my vocal cords almost broke because of how loud I sang. The night started to feel like it would never end, that we would just sit in this building singing our hearts out forever. I imagined being up there with him, thinking of how those female dancers are so lucky to be next to Johnny. “It’s getting hot up here!” Johnny yelled out to the crowd. He removed his leather jacket and as soon as he did, girls started screeching and hollering. “He knew exactly what he was doing” I heard my Mom yell next to me. I turn to smile and agree with her. I looked back up at Johnny and started shouting and chanting along with the rest of the crowd. He threw his jacket to the side of the stage and fixed his hair. My chanting began to grow slowly, so did everyone else's. I stopped jumping and shouting and froze in place. There on his left arm was a compass, the same as mine exactly, in the same spot as well. I looked on my arm to make sure. Yep, that was the same compass alright. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I searched my right wrist to investigate it and looked to see if Johnny also had these stars. Highly impossible, there is no way that Johnny Wilde has the same tattoos as me. I watched him as he made his way to my side of the stage, singing his song “Watch Me Move On.” I stared at his right wrist, trying to make out what could be on it. A tattoo was on it, but I couldn’t make it out. He bent down to sing to a young girl in the front row, so I took my good and only chance to see. There they were, the stars on his wrist. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I thought maybe I was seeing it incorrectly, but I knew my eyes didn’t deceive me. As he started to stand up and move away from the girl, his eyes made direct eye contact with mine. Something inside of me clicked. Time started to slow down like everything was a stop motion picture. His emerald eyes shined from the stage lights glowing on them. Every cell in my body wanted to drag me onto that stage with him, but I could not move at all. Johnny stood up and just stared at me. He knows it too. I noticed he was staring at my arms, I looked down to see my compass was showing. I was hoping he could really see, so I lifted my right wrist slowly into the air. He stared at my wrist in awe. He lifted his wrist slowly in the air. That was definitely stars, the same ones too. It had to be him, my lifelong celebrity crush. I was still in shock, still not knowing if this is a hoax or dream. All he did was smile at me, but it didn’t feel like just any smile. It felt like a smile that was only meant for me. Everything snapped back into reality when my Mom moved closer to me. “It’s him, isn’t it?” All I could do is nod, not a single word could come out of my mouth. It is. It is him.

The crowd of people started by me, exiting the concert area into the lobby. My heart was still pounding, I couldn’t even think straight. Is this really happening? I walked with my Mom to the entrance of the building, trying not to lose sight of her as people started cutting through me. At one point I did lose her. I tried pushing and nudging my way through everyone, but I almost got knocked down a couple of times. “Hey watch it!” some lady shouted from behind me. I look behind to apologize to her. As I turned around I banged right into someone, nearly falling over. I start to stutter an apology. “Are you ok, sorry about that I was right in your way”, a male voice spoke to me? I shook my head and looked up. There he was, right in front of me. My eyes met his, and for a split second, I thought he was about to hug me. My face was inches away from his, close enough to feel his hot breath on my cheek. He smiles, “you must be the girl with the similar tats as me, how are ya?”

This book has 1 comment.

on Aug. 12 2021 at 2:52 pm
JustMe_Vaanya SILVER, Dehradun, Other

"Una Vida, I have come to accept that I cant experience everything in life. But what I will, I'll experience deeply..."
-Shivya Nath

Loved it! It's kind of like the tiktoks people are doing these days... The pov ones.
But I loved the way you've written it! :)