Time For A Job | Teen Ink

Time For A Job

By Soph-xx-soph, London, Other
Soph-xx-soph, London, Other

Author's note:

My series of F.R.I.E.N.D.S Or Not is working really well so I decided to carry on going with the sequal.

"I guess sleeping with the neighbor’s dog walker is more important than being loyal to me!”
Having a boyfriend cheat on you is bad enough let alone him using your best friend.
The kiss was so slow and magical.
Justin nodded, she was so excited, she may be getting a job.
She really wanted Alna to be a thing.
‘Yeah, you didn’t realize Justin was into you?”
Do I even know Nikita, the person who I thought was my best friend?guess sleeping with the neighbor’s dog walker is more important than being loyal to me!”
The kiss was so slow and magical.
She really wanted Alna to be a thing.
Do I even know Nikita, the person who I thought was my best friend?

She started to unpack her clothes and then she looked at the top of her closet for folded clothes and found two strange looking things attached with a chain. She suddenly realized what it was. Why are there handcuffs in this house, in Nikita’s house?! Is she a criminal or has someone framed her? Has she lived with a criminal, why are there handcuffs? Sabrina started pacing up and down the room, she could be living with a criminal, her best friend could be a criminal! If Nikita was a criminal or had been arrested, why would she keep the handcuffs? And why hasn’t she told me? I guess she knew I would react like this. But if Nikita isn’t a criminal, is Eden? She did say she recently moved out when I was getting to know them when I came to visit for the weekend. Eden seems so sweet, although a bit crazy but she does have a traumatizing past. Wait, could that be why she’s a criminal? I should probably tell Nikita about these but what if they do belong to her, which is likely, what will she do to me? If she has been arrested before, how would she react about me taking her stuff, it’s too dangerous. Maybe I should just ask her about if she has any secrets as best friends shouldn’t keep secrets. Walking out of her bedroom with half of her clothes still unpacked, Sabrina said,
“Nikita, can we sit at the table and talk about something.” Nikita nodded and started heading over to the table from the opposite direction of Sabrina. “Do you have any secrets that you have kept from me because you know best friends shouldn’t keep secrets.” Being as persuasive as possible to try and get all the secrets out of Nikita.
“Well, I do have one but I can’t tell anyone, especially you, I’m sorry Sabrina.” Nikita began until Sabrina’s death stare scared her into telling her. “Ok, fine. I have more than one, the first one is,” Nikita stopped to get a glass of water before she spilled the beans. “I have a secret crush on Bill, the beer guy. It’s really embarrassing ok.” Taking another gulp of water, Nikita continued. “I have had a crush on him for quite a long time but no one likes him. Or at least Eden, Alex and Stewart don’t like him. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier.”
“What about the second secret, you have to tell me!” Sabrina said giving Nikita her death stare again but Nikita wouldn’t say anything this time except for,
“I’m not going to tell you Sabrina, I can’t tell you all of my secrets. I’m really ashamed of it so I don’t want to tell you, sorry.” Sabrina started to get really worried, those handcuffs were Nikita’s! She went into her bedroom to think about what she thought she had just found out while Nikita left the apartment. Nikita really was a criminal, that’s what she was ashamed of, that was her dark secret, Sabrina was sure of it. I have to tell Alex! I need to see if he knows about this. He has never lived in this apartment so those handcuffs can’t belong to him. Sabrina rushed across the hallway and barged through the front door to Alex’s apartment.
“Nikita, what are you doing here, and where’s Alex?” Sabrina said, getting more and more worried, what had Nikita done to him?
“Don’t worry he’s gone out and he asked me to make sure no one took anything from here as they have lots of priceless things here and their key is broken. That’s why he went out for your information. I feel like a could steal something from here. It’s all so beautiful, it’s amazing Stewart could afford all this, I wish we could have something like this.” Not feeling safe near Nikita anymore, Sabrina slowly backed away into her bedroom, had a shower and got into bed. She had had a long day, maybe it was messing with her brain, there’s no way Nikita was a thief or had been arrested. Perhaps she had been daydreaming, it was very unrealistic. Less than five minutes after she got into bed, Sabrina had fallen asleep. Not long after, she was having really bad nightmares though, what if Nikita was a criminal, what if she had stolen things before? Sabrina couldn’t bare it, she had to wake up, she had been having these dreams all night, she couldn’t have a lie-in so just woke up. Nikita was standing right above her with a knife and went over to her bedside table. The knife was sharp, what was Nikita doing with such a sharp blade? It hadn’t all been a dream, some of it was true!
“Please don’t hurt me Nikita, I’ll do anything. I won’t tell anyone your secret but remember, I do know who you are!” Sabrina shouted, trying to save her life. Looking confused, Nikita began to speak,
“I’m not going to hurt you, why would you think that. I have a knife to cut you some bread for breakfast and how do you know my darkest secret? I told you I was ashamed of it so you better not have told anyone. Please Sabrina, I’m really sorry I broke your cheerleading trophy in school. Please can you forgive me?”
“You mean the trophy Daphne broke? You blamed your little sister for breaking my trophy, that’s just cold Nikita.” Sabrina said ashamed of both herself for thinking Nikita was a criminal when she wasn’t and of Nikita for blaming her younger sister for breaking what she knew was Sabrina’s most prized possession. “I can’t believe you would do that Nikita!”
“Hold on – you didn’t know that, why did you say you knew what my secret was then? What did you think my secret was?” Nikita said, speaking so quickly Sabrina could just about catch her words. Sabrina knew she had forced Nikita’s secret out so she had to tell Nikita.
“Well – I,” Sabrina started, she couldn’t stop stammering, she was so embarrassed with herself, what kind of friend am I? “I found some handcuffs in the top of the closet and I thought they were yours’. I may have thought you were a thief after what you said at Alex and Stewart’s.” With that, Sabrina ran off scared to see what Nikita would do as she was unbelievably strong. Not far behind her, Nikita was running right behind. Oh my gosh, it’s 08:00, I have to go to work but I’ll get Sabrina when I come back tonight.    

Phew, Nikita’s gone for work. Alex will be coming any minute now to help me prepare for the interview. I hope Eden was wrong about Justin being into me, I don’t want to work with him to be really awkward.
“I’m here and ready to help you get ready for your interview,” Alex shouted as he walked through the front door. “Woah – why haven’t you got changed or anything? And why are you in a bathrobe?”
“I’ve just had a shower but I and Nikita had a small fight and she may have been chasing me around the apartment for half an hour but if you just give me one minute, I’ll be ready. Quick question, what should I wear today?” Sabrina asked, quickly getting past her and Nikita’s fight. She opened up her walk-in closet and showed Alex all her clothes hanging up.
“I think you should wear that flower dress, It’s a really nice yellow color and I think it would look great for an interview! Anyway, you got to ask a quick question so now it’s my go, what was your fight with Nikita about?” Sabrina looked at Alex awkwardly but she eventually got him to tell her.
“You thought she was a thief?! Why would you think that Nikita isn’t that type of person.”
“You would understand if you saw what I saw.” Sabrina started. Alex, using his terrible miming skills, urged her to carry on the story. “I found handcuffs in the closet when I was putting my folded clothes up there.”
“You found what?! Why are there handcuffs up there, show them to me, please Sabrina.” Sabrina handed over the handcuffs she had found. “Whose is these, they can’t be Nikita’s or Eden’s but who else has lived here?” Sabrina shrugged, gesturing to him that she had as good an idea as he did and that was why she thought it could have been Nikita.
“Anyway Alex, I’m going to quickly get dressed in the bathroom, and then I’ll come back when I’m ready to put on makeup. Then you can show me what to do for my interview. I think I need the most help with what to say though. After an hour and a half of work, Sabrina was ready for her interview so headed down to Moonbucks with ten minutes to spare. Justin rushed towards her as soon as she got through the door. He took off her coat and sat her down.
“I don’t have anything else to do so you can have your interview now. Is this going to be your first job?” Justin asked. Sabrina nodded so he moved onto the next question, “Do you have any experience in using a coffee machine or serving people?” Sabrina shook her head so Justin just moved on. “Final question, do you have a boyfriend?” Really confused Sabrina decided to speak this time although she didn’t answer, she really needed this job.
“Yes Justin, I do. But why is that relevant to the job?” Eden was right, Justin does like me.
“Sorry to make you uncomfortable, we just need to ask people that for some reason. I’m not quite sure why. The manager decides what we have to ask people.” Justin looked down at his badge then quickly changed the sentence. “The senior manager chooses what we have to ask people just to make them feel like they can tell us anything. It really does help, you can say if you like anyone but if they don’t like you back. It just makes the environment seem like a safe place. It also makes these things hurt less. Anyway, you’re hired!”
“Yes! Thank you so much, Justin!” Sabrina screamed, she had a job. She started work in two days. She hugged Justin but then realized who he was and pulled away immediately, but he was happy. He had just got a hug from Sabrina. This was amazing, she ran upstairs to tell everyone the news, all of them except Alex were there, he had just left for an audition. She was so excited though, she couldn’t wait for Alex to get back so she just told everyone. They were all so happy for her and Nikita had forgotten about the problem with her and Sabrina. They decided to have a party that night to celebrate. When Alex got home two hours later, Sabrina told him the news and they were both over the moon. Alna was going to be a thing! Sabrina jumped into Alex’s arms, they really wanted to spend this special moment with each other. Just as they leaned in to kiss, the door suddenly opened so they pretended they had just been chatting. It was Eden, why was she here? At least she didn’t see me and Alex kiss, that was close.
“Anyway Alex,” Sabrina started to make it seem like they had just been having a normal conversation. “The party will be at 18:00 at Nikita’s apartment. I’m so excited, will you be there?” Deciding that to play along with Sabrina, Alex replied,
“Yes, by the way, Sabrina, congratulations on getting that job. Bye.” Sabrina waved to Alex and went back to her and Nikita’s apartment.

“Well that was weird, do you have a crush on her?” Eden said, sensing something awkward was going on between them.
“Maybe – but I know she won’t want to be in a serious relationship let alone one at all after what has happened with her and Albert.” As Alex said this, Eden nodded along and he realized the things he was saying were probably true, maybe Sabrina wasn’t ready for a relationship yet. I will ask her tomorrow about how she feels with me and see if I think it might work out. I can’t do it tonight though, her celebratory party is tonight plus I said we could only be together if she got a job and she did, that’s saying something. Right? Alex couldn’t stop thinking about whether Alna was a good idea or not, they both seemed really interested in each other but Sabrina just got out of a big relationship. Was she ready? Anyway, I have to get ready, the party starts in a few hours. Alex started getting ready, he wasn’t sure what they were going to do at the party yet but he had a feeling no one did. Just across the corridor, Nikita and Sabrina were helping each other pick out outfits for the night. Sabrina was wearing a tight strapless sky-blue dress and Nikita was wearing a red wrap dress. They both decided to wear something simple and got their makeup done in half an hour. When they had finished getting ready, they started planning what to do for the party. When everyone got there, they played a bit of poker, Sabrina had four hours to practice on the train on her way to and from Texas. She had now got pretty good at it. She managed to get $100 before she started working, now that is amazing! Afterward, they went to a club at 19:45 and had a few drinks, just hung out and played a bit of snooker.  They were there for two and a half hours and then decided to come home. They played truth or dare, Sabrina went first, she always felt like dare was safer especially with her and Alex. She was so glad she picked dare as they told her to kiss Alex. After it was Stewart, he picked the truth so he had to tell them who he had the biggest crush on in the group. This wasn’t just awkward for him but all of them except for Alex. In the end, he decided to go for Nikita. Afterward, it was Eden’s go and she also picked dare. In the end, she was running up and down the corridor pretending to be a bird. Next, it was Alex, he chose truth. This made Sabrina really nervous as she was worried about what would happen if someone finds out they are together through this game. Luckily though, Nikita decided to ask,
“Who do you have the biggest crush on?” Everyone knew the answer to this but they just wanted to show Sabrina as they didn’t know Alex and her were dating. Last, of the round, it was Nikita and she chose dare. She had to kiss Stewart as they all now knew he had a slight crush on her so Stewart was happy. They were all having so much fun. They did another round, Sabrina went first again, she chose truth this time though. Eden quickly blurted out a truth before anyone else could,
“Are you ready to start another relationship?” Sabrina couldn’t believe what Eden had just said. What should I say? If I say no, Alex may think I want to be with someone else but if I say yes, he might think I’m ready to start a proper relationship with him, I think I should say yes.
‘Yes, I am ready for a new relationship.” Alex’s face lit up as Sabrina answered Eden’s question. Sabrina was so glad, she made the right choice. They moved on and it was Stewart’s turn this time, he chose dare, he decided to swap as it just seemed like more fun. Stewart’s dare was to put some ice cubes down his shirt until the next round. He hated being cold so decided not to do it so I lost the game. Eden went after and she picked the truth. She had to tell them about her weirdest dream.
“My weirdest dream was only a few nights ago. Stewart and I were playing checkers. He was terrible at it so-called my nerdy. Then he turned into Cameron Boyce, I love Cameron Boyce. Then Cameron Boyce told me to forgive Stewart so I did and that’s why I wasn’t angry with him. By the way Stewart, you should really get a tattoo or grow a mustache.” Looking really confused about this outburst with facial hair, they all exchanged glances then turned to look at Stewart. Next, it was Alex, he was so happy with Sabrina’s answer and he didn’t want to ruin it so he chose dare. As everyone knew Alex had a crush on Sabrina, they dared him to kiss Sabrina. They leaned in and started their kiss, if no one was there, it would have been the most romantic thing that had ever happened to Alna, Stewart watched, happy for his buddy. Nikita and Eden sighed and chorused together,
“You guys would make such a cute couple.” As soon as they said that, Alex and Sabrina moved away, was the chemistry between them that strong, would the girls find out soon?
“I’m getting tired, I think I’m going to go to bed now, good night guys,” Sabrina said, really embarrassed with what had just happened. Alex was also extremely embarrassed so also decided to go to bed after saying good night and with that, everyone started going back to their apartment to get ready for bed. It was past midnight anyway.

When Sabrina woke up the next morning it was midday, she had been so tired the night before, Nikita had already left for work, everyone had. There was only one person who was still at home, Alex! She got out of bed and headed straight for the shower and then looked through her outfits to see which one to wear. She chose a floral, white dress and when she went to open the front door to go to Moonbucks, she saw a sign on the door,
‘Go to Moonbucks for 13:00, don’t forget!’ Sabrina looked at her watch, someone wanted her to be there in five minutes. It must be important, I better hurry. Sabrina was right about it being important, but she did not expect it to be such good news. When she got down to Moonbucks, someone was sitting on the couch. His shiny hair slicked back and he was wearing a leather jacket. He turned around,
“Oh my gosh, Alex, what are you doing?” Sabrina asked in utter surprise.
“Just wanting to ask my favorite lady out on a first date, she should be coming soon.” Alex said but when Sabrina’s smile started to droop, he quickly told her, “I mean you!” Sabrina was so happy, she and Alex were finally going to go on a date together. Alex was so happy as he saw Sabrina’s eyes light up, that would be a yes for sure. All of a sudden, Justin let out a large scream,
“No! Why? I wanted her so bad, why do you have to do this to me?” Hoping Justin was talking about something else, Alex and Sabrina left just before Justin started hitting his head against the counter. Everyone turned to look at him so he shrugged. They went to a nice restaurant and talked all about when their date would be. They decided on it being at 19:30 and Alex would pick Sabrina up from her apartment so she didn’t know what it was going to be but he had a great idea. Suddenly Nikita walked through the door to the restaurant with a boy.
“Yuck, it's Bill the beer guy, he’s horrible, why’s she going out with him? I need to hide, she can’t see us together. Actually no, you hide, it’s more believable that I was eating two portions than you. Quick, go to the toilet and meet me outside in fifteen unless you still see me here.  
“Ok, bye. See you soon, love you.” With that, Sabrina ran off to the bathroom. In fifteen minutes, she began to walk out when she saw Alex talking to Nikita, what is he doing? He is supposed to be leaving, not making her want to stay for longer.
“Give me one second, I have to call someone, sorry.” Alex walked off to call Sabrina. “Hey Bree, why are you calling me? Oh my gosh, I’ve just seen the time, I’m so sorry. I’ll tell them I have to go but you come out of the bathroom first and then we’ll talk, is that alright? Hold on, I have to pay, I’ll be five more minutes then meet me outside.”
“Fine then Alex, but don’t belong,” Sabrina said, slightly annoyed. Alex went back to the table and said to Nikita, I have to go as soon as I pay, sorry. Excuse me, can I pay the bill for this table, thank you. Done, I got to go now, I’m meeting someone soon. Sorry, bye.” Alex said in a rush, he had taken way too long. Sabrina quietly walked past Nikita’s table so she wouldn’t see her as she may get suspicious. She just about managed to get past Nikita and Bill’s table. She met Alex outside and they grabbed a taxi to get home. By the time they got back, it was 15:00, the traffic had taken so long.
“Well, that was a long journey, thanks for getting out of the restaurant so quickly after I told you. I really appreciate it and I guess I’ll see you at 19:30 if we don’t bump into each other in the corridor.” Sabrina said and they kissed each other before they went bounding up the stairs to get ready for their evening out. Sabrina decided to wear a purple top with some black jeans, she felt like it just looked nice and she didn’t want Alex to always see her in dresses. Alex wore a tuxedo and a bowtie. He had never looked so smart in his life. The only thing he did to get ready which was normal for him was slick his hair back. He really wanted Sabrina to love their first date. He booked reservations and activities he felt were romantic. It was coming close to 19:30, Sabrina was waiting eagerly. She answered the door when she heard a knock, Yes, Alex must be early!
“Hey there Alex, you ready for a first date?” Sabrina asked, excited and raring to go. Alex wasn’t the one at the door. Oh no!

To be continued…