A King's Favor | Teen Ink

A King's Favor

By Lilmochi, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Lilmochi, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"Jimin, You got no jams." -Namjoonie

Author's note:

This is actually based off of the Taemin ship in BTS. Joon is based on Jimin and Teahyung is based on V. Enjoy!

The year is 1856, and Korea was a peaceful country until the monarchy fell. People banded together to dethrone the current king. This King was doing bad stuff to the people. Taking away food and water and keeping it for himself. They succeeded and there was a power vacuum. People from all over competed for the throne but one came up on top. That man was Joon’s Father.

Prince Park Joon (Or Prince Joon) nervously walked through the endless halls of the castle that had been his home for his whole 18 years of his life. The alabaster stone hallways gleamed with tapestries and paintings that had been there even before Joon was born. Joon was next in line to the throne, and he had to marry soon. That's why he was nervous. Today he was going to meet some women and choose who to marry.

Anyone would want to be a princess  He thought, Why can't they understand that this is a curse? If everyone wants to be a king or queen, Why don't I feel so excited?

As soon as Joon got to the door, he stopped short. He didn't want to do this. He was only doing this because his father made him, and it was the tradition that had been happening for centuries.

"Every Prince has to marry a princess," Joon's Father, The King had told him, "Whether you like it or not."

Joon knew his father's words were final, and he had no choice in the matter so he had to do it. He dusted his clothes off and walked in. There he saw a bunch of ladies in frilly dresses and heavy makeup. Joon wasn't surprised, because this is what he had expected.

"Oooh look it's Prince Joon!" The ladies whispered.

"He's so cute," One said, "I heard he's perfect in everything"

"I bet he's going to pick me," Another remarked.

Joon held in the urge the laugh. All these ladies thought he was so perfect, but that was just the opposite. He was far from perfect.

"Ladies." A Herald proclaimed "Time for the choosing."

Joon smiled. He already had a plan for this. He would just say no to all of them. He knew his dad would keep trying to get him to marry, but Joon wanted to do things his own way. He started towards the first girl.

"I'm sorry, but no." He said, and he moved on to the next girl.

This was going to be hard. Saying no to all these girls would make him feel so guilty, but that was how this worked. Choose one, Reject the rest.

"No."

"Nuh uh"

"Sorry"

Joon could hear the cries of all the girls before him. Being rejected wasn't easy, especially by a prince. After a few more no's, it came down to the final girl. She looked so smug like she had already won. Joon was going to change that.

"I'm sorry, but no." He said

"WHAT?!" The girl yelled, "Prince Joon!"

Joon heard her cries but pretended not to care. He waved his hand to the guards.

"We're done here." He said as the ladies were pushed and shoved out.

One royal pain, Done.

"Finally," Joon said, "Break time!"

He walked to his quarters where two guards watching it, opened the doors for him.  Joon's quarters shines and gleamed like a new shoe. His bed was neatly made and his clothing hung up. The exact opposite he had left it this morning.

"The servants did a good job" He smiled.

Joon sprinted to his bed and jumped, landing on his bed with a big THUMP.

"This bed is so hard..." He complained, then he heard a knock on his door, "Come in!"

Then the door opened revealing a young woman, with a tray in her hands. "I brought you some tea and biscuits your-highness." She said as she walked towards his nightstand and put the tray on there. The woman bowed as she turned and left. Right as she was about to walk out the door, Joon gathered up all his courage and said:

"Wait."

The woman turned back "Yes, Prince?"

"Thank you." Joon smiled, "Thank you so much"

"Just here to serve you." The woman said and she walked out closing the big marble door.

"YES! I finally did it!" Joon pumped his fist in the air, "I won the bet!"

I should probably go now. Joon thought. Hiroki owes me so much now!

He immediately changed into his villager disguise and snuck out the window by a rope. He made sure no one saw him and yanked the rope down from his window when he was down.

"Time to go collect!" Joon smiled mischievously, as he walked off into the village.

A few minutes later, in the village, Joon contacted his friend Hiroki.

"Hey Hiroki," He whispered, "I finished the bet. Get down here!"

"I'm coming!" Hiro whispered back over the phone, "Give me about 5 minutes."

Hiroki was one of Joon's best friends in the village. Being a Prince, Joon wasn't allowed to go into the village unless his father permitted him to. Joon though, snuck into the village once in a while to have some fun. Hiroki was the only one who knew he was a prince.

Five minutes later, Hiroki showed up.

"How do you do Your-highness?" Hiroku weirdly bowed.

"Hiroki," Joon laughed, "I told you just call me Joon!"

"Well, you did it?" Hiroki asked

"Yup!" Joon proudly answered "I said something to one of my servants"

"Great job!" Hiroki praised "Now, for the prize..." He takes out a box of Chocolates. "Chocolate!"

Joon looked puzzled "What's Chocolate?"

Hiroki gasped "YOU'VE NEVER HAD CHOCOLATE BEFORE?!"

Joon shook his head sadly.

"Well then... Here!" Hiroki hands Joon the box, "Taste!"

Joon takes one chocolate out of the box and pops it into his mouth. Suddenly his eyes light up as bright as the sun, and a big smile appears across his face.

"THIS IS SO GOOD!!!" He says "It's so sweet and smooth!"

"That's chocolate." Hiroki replies "By the way, don't eat too much and don't show this to your father."

"Sure," Joon says as he pops another chocolate into his mouth

Suddenly Joon hears his name. He whips around to where he hears the sound and there's a broadcast on the radio. All Joon hears is:

"Prince Joon is missing."

When Joon heard those words, his heart plummeted. Someone had found out! Joon's had an immediate thought on who it could be. His little brother, Byung-Jeon.

That little tattletale. He thought I'm going to kill him!

"Uh oh." Hiroki whispers "Someone found out..."

"My little brother." Joon whispers "He's a huge brat." he scowled.

"If you have seen him, please contact the king." The broadcast finished and shut off.

Joon knew he was dead meat but still had to return. His father would give him a huge lesson on how the village was full of dogs. People who didn't matter. Joon hated it. He hated how his father had no respect for the people here and that he thought he was an all-powerful god. They were just humans. Nothing better, Nothing worse. So were the villagers. They were all just humans.

"I better go, if I want the short lecture from Dad." Joon shakily laughed "That's if I'm lucky..."

"Then go!" Hiroki pushed him towards the castle. Little did he know, someone was watching.

Joon ran towards the castle, as fast as he could. He snuck towards the back and tried to find the rope where he had left it. It wasn't there.

"Where could it be?" Joon frantically wondered as he searched through the tall grass. After a few minutes of searching, he didn't find it. His brother must have taken it. Joon was furious.

That big idiotic moron! Joon stomped to the gate. I'm going to behead him once I find him.

Joon walked to the gate, and he saw the two guards waiting, and watching. When Joon arrived, the guards stiffened up, as if an intruder just came and wanted to kill the royal family which rarely happened.

"Who are you?" One asked

Joon calmly answered, "I'm Prince Joon"

"Are you?" The other jabbed his sword at him.

Joon didn’t say anything as he took off his hood.

"Prince Joon!" Both guards bowed as Joon walked past. When Joon opened the doors, he found Byung waiting for him.

Joon scowled, "What are you doing here?"

"Father told me to wait for you," Byung said in a matter-of-a-factly voice, "He's waiting for you."

Joon walked past without saying a word. In the corner of his eyes, he saw Byung smirk. Joon was on his last nerve. He was about to turn around and slap Byung in his annoying face. It took all his will power to hold in the urge. Joon knew that he would get a bigger lecture if he did it. Joon trembled as he walked into his father's quarters.

I'm so dead... He thought. Father is going to kill me.

As Joon walked in, he saw his father scowling.

"Oh no..." He mumbled.

"Joon!" The king boomed.

"Yes, Father" Joon answered.

"Where were you?"

"The village." Joon braced for the huge lecture.

"Who were you with?" The king asked

The question surprised Joon. The King had never asked who he was with before.

"You didn't answer the question."

Joon hesitated. What is he going to do to Hiroki?

Suddenly, Byung walks in the room: "If I may father"

"Speak Byung" The king replies

I swear Father's picking favorites. Joon thinks.

"I saw Joon with a boy," Byung says, "His name is Hiroki? If I recall correctly."

Joon gasps He was watching us! How could I have not noticed?

"Hiroki..." The king said, "Tell me more."

Joon scowled That idiot is going to rat me out!

"Hiroki is a friend of Joon's that he hangs out with every time he goes to the village. He's practically the reason he goes!"

"Joon is this true?" The king looks at Joon his eyes piercing into his very soul.

Joon shrugged, as he knew that his father could smell a lie a mile away, and he couldn't deny the truth.

"Joon" His father sigh "We've had this talk before. The villagers are just dogs that don't matter! We are supreme beings on this wretched earth."

Joon sighed, "I know..."

"But, This has become an increasing problem. If you won't stop going to the village, I have to do something about it."

"Father," Byung says, "May I suggest beheading Hiroki. If he's the person that Joon always visits, then killing him should take care of this."

"NO FATHER PLEASE!" Joon blurts out, tears filling his blue eyes, "ANYTHING BUT THAT!"

"I'm sorry Joon. You've left me no choice" The king says.

"Father, Can I plan the beheading?" Byung asked

"Yes. My son." The king smiles at him as they walk out, leaving Joon to cry in the dark.

After a few minutes of crying, Joon decided to take action. If it wasn't too late, he could convince his father to stop the beheading. He ran to the village where he saw the beheader standing by the gallows with an ax in his hand. Joon looked at the gallows and gasped. Hiroki's head was in there. He immediately spied Joon in the crowd.

"Hiroki!" Joon yelled.

"Joon!" Hiroki yelled back.

"Hiroki I'm sorry!" Joon said tears filling his eyes, "I couldn't stop this."

"Well, Thanks for all the friendship you showed me. At least I can die with a smile" He smiled, and the Beheader swung his ax…

ー ✦ ・ ✦ ・✦ ー

Later that day, Joon was walking in the palace courtyards, and he saw a servant boy watering the plants. He looked as old as Joon was, Maybe older.

"Hello!" He called.

The servant jumped as he turned around, obviously startled by Joon's presence.

"Hello, My Prince" The servant bowed.

"You don't have to bow," Joon laughed "What is your name?"

The servant hesitated "Taehyung" He finally said, “Kim Taehyung”

"I'm Price Park Joon" Joon answered, "Nice to meet you!" He stretched out his hand, “Don’t be afraid, I won’t hurt you.” He said smiling wide.

Taehyung smiled and shook Joon’s hand as he helped him up.

“Thank you for keeping the gardens clean.” Joon finally said, “I admire these flowers.”

“Just serving my duties to you, My Prince.” Taehyung humbly replies.

Joon laughs again, “Just call me Joon.”

Taehyung nods as Joon walks away back to the castle. Suddenly Joon stops to look back at Taehyung, “Aren’t you coming?” He asks

“You want me, to come inside the royal palace?”  Taehyung asks his eyes going wide.

It’s too good to be true… Taehyung thought. Prince Joon wants me to come inside?

As if Joon had read his thoughts, He grabbed his hand and led a still surprised Taehyung inside the gleaming palace casting its humongous shadow upon them.

“Welcome to the royal palace!” Joon said as he gestured to the palace, “Before we go inside, I have to sneak you in.”

Taehyung looked confused for a second when Joon explained the situation to him.

“So,” Taehyung said, trying to size up the situation, “Your Father hates when you make friends?”

“Pretty much,” Joon confirmed rolling his eyes. “So, ready to go in?”

“I don’t know…” Taehyung warily said backing away, “I don’t want to get my head… chopped off.”

“That’s fine.” Joon shrugs, “I can just go find a new friend to make into a nobleman, and a new person to hang out with who will get a ton of money…”

When Joon mentioned money, Taehyung grabbed Joon’s hand and pulled  him to the gate, “Let’s go.”

Joon smiled, “I knew you would realize!”

“How are you going to sneak me in?” Taehyung asked, “Do you have a plan?”

Joon paused, “Yes… go with the flow!” He led Taehyung to the side to explain his plan. Joon was going to sneak him in and Taehyung was going to pose as a servant who did wrong to Joon.

He was so sure this was going to work. It was now, or never.

Joon dragged a shaking Taehyung to the gate. The guards stiffened up when they saw him coming.

“Prince Joon,” They said, “What happened?”

“This servant did wrong to me,” Joon said in his all-powerful voice (more or less).

“We shall take him to the king.”  The Guards advanced to Taehyung, who was still shaking.

Joon looked troubled. “No! No, that’s ok!” He said stepping back a little, “I got it.”

The guards stepped back to their post. Opening the door for Joon as he walked in with Taehyung, grinning ear to ear. As they entered the castle, Taehyung gasped. The palace was more than anything he ever imagined. Joon just sighed. He had expected this reaction.

“Let’s go.” Joon turned to Taehyung. “I have a lot to show you.”

As the two boys walked through the halls of the gigantic palace, Joon pointed out places he had loved to hang out. His shoes clicked across the floor as he strode on the marble floors. Taehyung looked at the riches around him. He had only ever dreamed to have at least one-fourth of this wealth.

Joon is so lucky… Taehyung thought. I would love to be a prince.

“This is my favorite place to hang out.” Joon opened the huge stone doors, decorated with pictures of notes and instruments, “The music room.”

Taehyung gasped. This reminded him of his childhood before he became a servant for Joon.

“I… I used to play the piano,” Taehyung confessed softly, “I was pretty good.”

“Really!” Joon turned to Taehyung, eyes sparkling brightly like the walls around him, “Teach me! Please?” Joon begged

“You don’t have to ask me twice,” Taehyung walked over to the piano and sat down. He opened the cover which spread dust all around.

“Sorry!” Joon called, “We haven’t opened that in such a long time!”

“It’s fine!” Taehyung called back after he finished coughing. He looked at the Ivory keys before him and he softly set his hand on the piano. Taehyung took a deep breath as he pressed the first note.  

Joon’s eyes widened as Taehyung played a stunning melody he had never heard before. The way his hands pressed the notes mesmerized Joon. He leaned forwards as Taehyung got lost in the song. The accuracy of his fingers hitting the keys with such gracefulness, amazed Joon. He had never heard anything like this before. After Taehyung had finished, Joon ran up to the piano, a sparkle in his eyes.

“Tae, That was AWESOME!” Joon yelled, “Teach me please?”

Taehyung widened his round blue eyes. “What? I can’t teach the prince! I’m just a servant!”

Joon sighed, “No you’re not, Taehyung. You are my friend and that’s final.”

Taehyung smiled as he turned back to the piano, “Ok then Joon. Come sit down. I’ll teach you.”

Joon walks to the piano and sits down with a thud. He looks at the keys as if they were a foreign object he had never heard of before. As Taehyung pressed the first note. Joon’s eyes widened as the piano made a heavenly sound.

“How does it do that?” Joon asked.

“When you hit the keys,” Taehyung explained, “Something in the piano hits a string which makes the sound.”

Taehyung hit the key again, and the sound rang out in the room. Joon looked around to see where the sound was coming from. As the sound faded, Taehyung played a little melody for Joon. Joon sighed for the melody reminded him of his mother. He didn’t notice but tears were running down his face. All his emotions that were bottled up came pouring out when Taehyung played. All Joon’s troubles disintegrated away with the sound as the melody came out. After Taehyung was done, all Joon could feel was nostalgia. The day when his mother was alive, and when she would sing that song to him. Taehyung turned towards Joon to see him crying. He wrapped his arms around him to comfort him.

“It’s ok Joon,” Taehyung confronted, “You will be alright.”

Joon couldn’t hold it in anymore. He leaned into Taehyung’s arms and cried. He cried all his pain out, his hurt, his hatred, and his regrets. He cried for Hiroki’s death, and how he was going to be king soon.

“Taehyung…” Joon choked out through tears, “I can’t do this.”

“Do what?” Taehyung asked, squeezing Joon a little tighter.

“I can’t be king,” Joon sobbed, “All I’ll do is destroy the country.”

“No, you won’t.” Taehyung whispered in Joon’s ear, “You will be a great king, and I will be there to support you forever.”

“Thank you Taehyung.” Joon smiled, “I’m so grateful for you.”

“Me too, Joon.” Taehyung sighed softly, “Me too.”

You don't have to read Joon's dream if you don't want to.

One week passed. Joon snuck Taehyung in over and over again, and they practiced the piano. Joon got better and better until he could play the song Taehyung taught him, and more!

“Joon,” Taehyung finally said, “It’s time I reveal the name of that song.”

Joon leaned forward in his chair, anxious. He had been waiting for this moment for so long! “What is it?” He asked

“Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven.” Taehyung announced, “Pretty cool right?” He glanced at Joon. “Joon?”

“Yes. Nice.” Joon answered with a completely emotionless tone.

“What’s wrong with that?” Taehyung asked spreading his arms wide.

“It’s just…” Joon hesitated before continuing fearing Taehyung would get mad, “Beethoven is kinda boring.” Joon flinched ready for what came next. Is he going to yell at me? He thought.

“Oh. You really think so?” Taehyung paused as there was an uncomfortable silence between the two young men. “It’s ok. I think that too!” Taehyung smiled.

“You do!” Joon half asked half yelled.

“Yea! I’m more into Pop!” He winked at Joon who laughed back.

Taehyung and Joon told jokes for hours. Some good some bad. At last, it was time for Joon’s Curfew.

“Oh! It’s nine already? It’s my Curfew. I have to go.” Joon sighs sadly.

“Awwwwww.” Taehyung whines, “Welp see you tomorrow!” He said as He walked out the door.

“Bye!” Joon softly whispered after Taehyung shut the door. He played the Moonlight Sonata one last time before closing up the piano and leaving the room. What he didn’t know is that the king found out about Joon and Taehyung, and he was infuriated. He sent his soldiers to capture Taehyung once he left the room and he would kill him in front of Joon the next day. He thought this was the way to let Joon know that the royal family were Gods compared to dirty servant pigs like Taehyung.

As Joon walked to his room, he couldn’t get Taehyung out of his mind. Tomorrow, he would confess his love for him, and tell his father. Joon shivered as the thought sent a chill down his spine. Telling his father wouldn’t be easy, but he was sure he could do it. He heard screams of pain and cries of help walking to his room, but it immediately stopped as he passed by. Joon looked over to see what happened, but there was nothing there.

Maybe it’s just my imagination. He thought as he quickened his pace to his room. About 2 minutes later, he arrived at his quarters. Two guards watched the door and as he came close, the Guards bowed and opened the huge marble door, adorned with pictures of flying babies and the new Korean flag. He walked in, his head held high as if there was an audience in his room waiting to see what he would do next. Actually, It was a habit Joon had developed. Whenever he’s about to cry, he lifts his head up to look like he’s not. Once the doors close, Joon collapses on to his bed. Tears start running down his face and he doesn’t stop to wipe them. His bottled up sadness finally empties.

“Taehyung…” He sobs,  “I love you I just don’t know how to say it.”

Joon longed for Taehyung to be there by his side but servants weren’t allowed in Joon’s quarters(Unless they were maids coming to clean the room). After a few minutes, Joon stopped crying. He had cried all his worries and troubles out. All that remained was the thought of Taehyung.

Joon looked up at the canopy over his bed. He needed to find a way to tell his father about his love, but there was a risk that his father would get angry. As Joon stared up at the canopy, his thoughts wandered aimlessly. Ideas floated in and out of his head. At last, he got an Idea! He was going to dress up Taehyung as a nobleman and show him to his father. He had to think Taehyung was a rich person right? Joon though and thought until he was tired of thinking. He closed his eyes…

The next morning, Joon woke up with a bolt. He had just had a dream about Taehyung and it escalated too quickly.

╔══════════ °• ☽・☾•° ═════════╗

Joon’s Dream:

Joon opened his eyes and looked around. All he could see was the plain far and wide.           Joon sat up as he realized he was laying down. The wind threaded through his Blond hair, as the wheat waved around him.

“Where am I?” Joon whispered as he looked around once again.

“You are in your dream” He heard a voice. It sounded like Taehyung. As if Taehyung had read his thoughts, he appeared out of nowhere, materializing in front of Joon. “Hello, my love” Taehyung smiled brightly.

“Taehyung!” Joon got up and ran to hug him. As the two young men embraced, Joon felt a warm feeling go through him, “Tae, my love” Tears ran down Joon’s face.

“Joon…” Taehyung trailed off also crying, “I found you!”

The two lovers stayed together for sometime before separating. They gazed into each other's eyes with such passion.

“Taehyung,” Joon started, “I have something to tell you.”

Taehyung nodded as Joon started.

“Taehyung, Ever since I met you, I knew we were meant to be.” Joon said, “I was never gay when we first met, but you made me see the beauty everywhere and I love you for that.”

As Joon explained and confessed his love to Taehyung, the sky started clouding up.

“Taehyung…” He hesitated, “I love you.”

“If you love me then why did you let Hiroki die?” Taehyung asked with such force.

Joon was startled. “How do you even know Hiroki?”

“I know everything Joon,” Taehyung smirked getting closer to him until he was so close, Joon could smell the fragrance of the wheat. “How do I know you won’t do the same to me?”

“I would never!” Joon gasped.

Taehyung snarled, “I don’t believe you, you liar. Nor do I love you.”

Joon stumbled back, tears forming in his eyes. He looked around but the world wasn't’ what he had seen first. Thunder rolled, and lightning flashed. The ground looked like a volcano with molten lava and black rock everywhere. Joon suddenly felt himself falling. Falling from the dark world above. He heard voices while he was falling, his father being one of them.

“Marry this girl…” It said

“No.” Joon heard himself arguing with his father, “I don’t want to marry any girls.”

He heard Taehyung’s voice. “I love you…”

It repeated over and over again

“I love you… I love you… I love you…”

Suddenly it stopped. Then Taehyung appeared tears in his eyes.

“Why don’t you love me back?”

Then Joon woke up.

╚══════════ °• ☽・☾ •°═════════╝

The sickness is going to have a bigger meaning throughout the story ;)

Joon got out of bed, still fazed by the dream he had. It kept coming back to his mind over and over again. The thought of Taehyung made his dizzy. He felt so sick… Joon stumbled to the bathroom, feeling like he was going to puke. He shakily opened the bathroom door and walked in. He ran to the toilet as the puke came out. He took a toilet paper and wiped his mouth. He looked in the toilet one more time and cursed quietly under his breath. He was getting sick? He flushed the toilet and walked back into his room.

I should probably tell someone about this… He thought, Maybe Taehyung.

Suddenly, without warning, someone knocked at the door. Joon scrambled to get in bed and act fine.

“Who is it?” He yelled.

“It’s Taehyung!” The voice answered back.

“Tae! Come in!” Joon exhaled. This was nothing to worry about.

Taehyung opened the door and came in with a smile. “Good morning, my prince!”

Joon laughed shakily, “I told you to call me Joon!”

“Everything ok?” Taehyung asked, concerned.

“Yea! I’m fine!” Joon answered a little too quickly.

Taehyung eyed Joon warily. He knew something was wrong, but Joon looked uncomfortable with the topic, so Taehyung left it alone.

Should I ask him about it? Taehyung thought, Screw it.

“Hey Joon,” Taehyung said, “Are you really ok?”

Joon sighed and hesitated before finally giving in to Taehyung, “I threw up.”

Taehyung, alarmed ran to Joon’s side, “Are you ok? Do you feel like throwing up again? Do you have a fever?”

Joon shoved Taehyung away. “This is why I didn’t want to tell anyone! I would get all these questions.” He looked down, “I’m sorry for shoving you.

Taehyung smiled and sighed quietly, “It’s ok. I know you did it out of impulse.”

Joon softly smiled back, “I knew you would understand.” He frowned as the dream came back to his head. Thoughts of Taehyung’s smirking face haunted his mind. He shuddered at the thought.

“What’s wrong?” Taehyung walked over and sat on Joon’s bed.

“Nothing.” Joon said, “Just a bad dream”

“You can tell me.” Taehyung looked at Joon, a concerned look on his face.

“It was about you.” Joon sighed for the millionth time (Give or take), “Taehyung… I have something to tell you.”

Taehyung glanced at the open door, standing up to go shut it. “I have a feeling this is a little personal to you, so let me shut the door.”

Joon looked down, “Thanks.” He sighed softly, “You can come to sit down now.”

Taehyung returned to Joon’s side and sat down on his bed once again. He glanced at Joon and quickly blushed before turning away.

I never noticed how cute he was until now… Taehyung sighed softly. He looked at Joon and asked, “Didn’t you have something to tell me?”

Startled, Joon said the first thing that came to his mind. “I’m thinking of how to tell you”

“This must be important then,” Taehyung chuckled, “Take as much time as you want!”

Joon smiled at him. “Thanks.”

Taehyung looks around the room quietly marveling at the beauty that surrounded the two. His room was like a dump compared to this. He never had any wealth like this before, nevertheless seen it. Taehyung looked at Joon, who was still lost in thought. He yearned to break this uncomfortable silence between them but stopped himself just in time. He couldn’t disturb Joon. He made it his goal to memorize this room if he ever came back in which to her seemed unlikely. He wasn’t one of the hand-picked servants who were selected by the king. He was only a servant in the gardens and kitchen. Nothing special.

“Taehyung…” Joon starts

“Joon! You're done?” Taehyung almost jumped out of the bed.

“Should I not be done?” Joon asked calmly, looking at him with soft eyes.

“No…” Taehyung looked down, “I mean yes! I mean… ARGH!” He quickly blushed and looked down as he heard Joon laughing a little.

“Tae...” Joon reverted his voice back to a serious tone. “I… dreamed about you last night.”

“You’ve told me” He giggled quietly, “What’s it about?”

Joon hesitated before going on. “I… can’t put it into words… but maybe this will work.” He said lowering his voice.

“Huh-” Taehyung said but he didn’t get to finish his sentence as Joon pulled him into a tight kiss. His eyes widened as his mouth was pushed against his. He closed her eyes sinking into the moment between them. He felt as if Joon wanted to tell him something through this kiss. Something that only he could understand. And he did. Joon was telling him he loved him, and he was going to tell him the same thing.

This feeling… Joon thought This feels good. I don’t want to pull away

After another minute of kissing,  Taehyung pulled away. He hesitated before blushing hard and running out of the room saying “I’m sorry Joon!”

Even while writing it, this part made me cry lol

Joon lay on his bed thinking about the surprising moment he had just shared between Tae. He was still in shock from the kiss they shared, and the moments after. Joon’s heart plummeted when the scene of Taehyung running out of his room appeared in his brain. Two words played over and over again “I’m sorry.”

What was he sorry for? Joon thought.

Meanwhile, Taehyung caught his breath outside.

What did I just do? He thought, My parents, are going to kill me.

He looked up to where Joon’s room want and sighed. He shouldn’t have run outside, or he should considering what had happened yesterday. The sting of the whip still hurt him even though he couldn’t feel it. He glanced down feeling really guilty and wanting to go say sorry. Taehyung, looked up to the room one more time, before going back to work.

Joon got up and went to go change into something more decent. He couldn’t go out in his night clothes! Joon picked out a royal blue and gold shirt with golden buttons. He also got a royal blue pant with gold fringes. He looked in the mirror and turned to look at himself. He smirked as the fringes on his pants twisted and turned with every move he made.

The benefits of being a prince. Joon thought smugly. He felt so regal and so… good! He had never felt this good before. Joon felt like he could rule the world. He walked up to his window and looked out over his kingdom-to-be. In an instant, Joon was overwhelmed. He was going to have control over everything in about 2 years when he turned 20. He would hold the lives of an entire country in his hands…

“Hey Joon!” A voice yelled from down there. Joon looked down and say Taehyung waving up at him, “Come down here! We need to talk.”

Joon’s heart fell the distance it was from Joon’s room to the ground. This was probably about the kiss. “I’m coming!” Joon yelled. He grabbed his new and improved escape rope and flung it down. He tied the other end to a hook that he installed in his room to keep the rope secure.  He then took a deep breath and flung himself out the window. Joon heard Taehyung gasp as he lowered himself slowly down the castle. 3 stories… 2 stories… 1 story… then Joon finally felt the reassuring touch of solid ground on his feet.

“How did you do that?” Taehyung asked.

“I’ve done this a million times,” Joon responded trying to sound cool about it, but in reality, he was scared half to death. There was a bit of quiver in his voice, and he was trying not to shake.

Taehyung laughed softly, “Well ok,” He got serious again, “I wanted to talk to you.”

“I think I know what it’s about.”

Taehyung glanced down blushing, “Yea sorry about that, but it’s about something else too.”

Joon sighed softly, “Ok. I was worried you were mad at me.”

“No!” Taehyung’s eyes widened, “I would never be mad at you!”

Joon sighed again. He had nothing to worry about.

“Two days ago… After I visited you… something happened.” Taehyung shuddered remembering the events after.

Joon gasped, “What happened?”

“Your dad… He saw everything…” Suddenly there was a big crack and Taehyung fell to the floor, blood trickling from his head.

“TAE!” Joon yelled. As Taehyung fell to the ground. Joon saw a soldier with a club right behind Taehyung. Before he could do anything. Joon blacked out.

Joon woke up to faint voices. They were deep, like a man’s voice. Joon tried to his up but his head throbbed so much, it forced him to lay back down. Joon tried to remember why and how he got here. His memories were hazy and hard to depict. He looked around to see where he was but all he saw was black. He had to find a way to get out of here. Joon tried to crawl since he could stand up, but his hands wouldn’t move. He looked over and saw he had paralyzing chains on his hands and feet. Whoever trapped him here didn’t want him to move or have any chance at escape. Joon tried again to remember what happened but it just made his head hurt more. Joon tried to listen to the voices to make out what they were saying. All he heard was mentions of his name and another… Taehyung? Suddenly, memories flooded back to Joon’s head. The kiss, the window, the soldier with the club. Joon looked around trying not to make any sound.

“Taehyung!” He called softly, “Where are you?”

Joon heard no answer so he assumed Taehyung was in a different cell.

“Dang it,” Joon muttered, “How did I let myself be captured like this?”

He slinked against the wall closing his eyes and sighing softly. What did he do to deserve this? Joon’s eyes opened as quickly as the cell door opened. There was a man there, with a remote in his hand. As the man stepped into the light, It revealed to be Joon’s father.

“Joon,” He boomed as he turned off the paralyzing chains, “We need to talk.”

Joon’s heart plummeted the distance of Mount Everest. His father had found out about Taehyung. Joon got up and walked out of the cell, trying not to cry. What would happen to Taehyung? The king led Joon to a room and closed the door. The King sat down at his desk, staring at Joon, eyes penetrating into his soul…

“Joon.” The king boomed, “Who was that you were talking with?”

Joon froze in place. His hunch was right. “A-A friend?” Joon stammered.

The king rested his head on his hand, “What’s his name?”

Joon struggled to make up a fake name. He could let his dad find out what he had been doing!

“M-Mino?” Joon whispered.

“Joon, don’t lie to me.” The King said, “What is his name?”

Joon looked down. He felt tears flooding his face, “Taehyung”

“Taehyung.” The king repeated, “Ok.”

Joon tried to stifle his sobs, “Don’t hurt him!”

The king ignored his cries and walked out of the room. Through the door, Joon could hear his dad telling the guards to go get Taehyung and get the beheader. That spurred Joon into action. He ran to the door and tried to get out, but the door was locked. There was a note from his dad, and it said:

“Joon, I know what you have been doing with Taehyung. I told you that you are not on the servants level. You are a prince, soon to be king! I know if I told you what I would do to Taehyung, I know you would stop me. I don’t need you interfering, so stay here until I come to get you.”

Joon ripped up the letter and tossed it away. He didn’t care about what his father said. Taehyung was important to him, and no one could say otherwise. Joon banged on the door over and over again, yelling for someone to help him get out. No one heeded his cries. He had to get out before Taehyung was killed. Joon looked around, thrashing around papers and pens looking for a key or something to help him get out.

At last Joon found a little pin. He recalled Hiroki teaching him how to pick a lock.

“Time to put that info to use…” He muttered as he ran to the lock and jammed the pin inside. He frantically moved the pin around trying to find the locks weak spot.

“Come on…” He muttered.

Joon was up against time. If he didn’t make it in time… Joon shuddered. He didn’t want to think about what would happen to Taehyung. Finally, Joon heard the lock click. He burst out of the door leaving everything messy and in chaos. He didn’t care about his father’s study being clean. He had to save Taehyung before it was too late. There was one problem though. His father was not as dumb as he thought. He had placed guards around the door in case Joon got out. Joon burst through the doors and ran towards the elevator. The guards reacted quickly and stationed themselves at the elevator.

Joon stopped abruptly. It was time to break out his kingly voice (More or less), “Step aside” Joon commanded.

“Prince Joon,” The general said, “Your father told us not to let you out. I can’t let you escape.”

Joon sighed. “Step aside.” He said again.

The guards stayed firm. It was obvious that they weren’t going to let Joon go. Joon also knew that he couldn’t barrel through the guards. There were too many to go through. Joon would never make it. Joon looked around, thinking of an escape. Suddenly he had an idea. He glanced at the window and saw it was unlocked, and there was a rope right by it.

That rope must be long enough, Joon thought as he ran to the windows grabbing the rope on the way.

“Hey! stop!” The general said. There was a hint of fear in his voice. Joon could understand why. His father’s punishments were brutal. Some even included death. It depended on what you did and letting the prince leave when the king said not to, was a huge offense. Joon halfway wanted to stop this to spare the generals life, but then Taehyung’s scared face appeared in his mind. It was like his mind didn’t want him, to stop with his plan. Without hesitation, Joon flung open the window and threw the rope outside.

“What is he doing?” Joon heard some of the guards’ whisper.

“Stop him!” The general yelled gesturing towards Joon.

None of the guards’ moved. They were all mesmerized by what Joon was doing. Joon tied the rope to the window and jumped on the windowsill.

“Don’t worry” He yelled to the general, “I’ll ask my dad not to kill you for this!” Joon took a deep breath and jumped.

Four stories. That how high Joon was when he jumped. Joon grabbed onto the rope as he fell. Luckily, he found gloves by the rope, that fit him perfectly. Doing such a stunt would have given him major rope burns. Joon shuddered at the thought as he slowly slid down the rope.

“A few more feet…” Joon muttered to himself, “You can do this.”

At last Joon’s feet touched the floor. Joon yanked the rope down and left it on the floor as he ran towards the village. Hopefully, he wasn’t too late to save Taehyung. Joon panted as he ran towards the village square. He didn’t stop running. Any little mistake could cost Taehyung’s life, and Joon couldn’t let this happen.

As Joon finally got to the square, he saw Taehyung, still in one piece, his head in a little hole.

“Taehyung!” Joon yelled, tears of joy filling his eyes.

“Joon!” Taehyung yelled back, smiling softly.

Joon ran up to the podium, pushing people out of the way, ignoring all the shouts. “Sorry!” He responded as he made he was to the labyrinth of the crowd.  When he finally got on the podium, he rushed to Taehyung.

The king, who was in the middle of a speech, looked at what was going on.

“Joon,” He growled, “Get off that peasant.”

Joon finally gathered up the courage to respond, “No.” He said firmly.

“What did you say?” The king said taking a step towards Joon.

“I said No,” Joon said staring his father down, fire in his eyes.

“Get him away from there.” The king commanded the guards, but none of them moved, “Get him away from there!” The king yelled.

Everyone just stared at what was going on. A few filmed the commotion.

“Father,” Joon started, “I’m not moving.” Joon looked over the crowd and raised his voice, “I’m not moving from this spot. This is not only my best friend but my love too.” Joon turned to Taehyung, a soft smile resting on his lips, “I wanted to tell this to you, but I didn’t know how too.”

Taehyung smiled. “I understood it the first time, and I love you too.” Then Joon pulled Taehyung into a kiss, in front of everyone. Joon didn’t care about what people thought. After Joon pulled away, he stood up and walked to the podium.

“When I am king, I don't think of you as peasants, I will think of you like kings and queens. You all are important, and I’m sorry that my father fails to see this.”

The king snarls, “Joon, I’m officially stripping the position of King from you. Byung will be the next king.”

Joon’s anger finally burst out, “Oh please.” He yelled, “Byung is just like you. A SELFISH LITTLE BRAT.”

Everyone in the crowd gasped. Joon had just insulted the King. That could mean death as a punishment. People held their breath to see what would happen. Would Joon also die?

The King motioned to the beheader to behead Taehyung. “Let’s get this over with.” He looked at Joon, fury in his eyes, “You are no longer a prince. If you want to love these dogs, then you are one.”

Joon’s eyes narrowed. “I’m fine with that.” He replied, “What’s the point of having all this power if you can’t use it for good? I’d rather be a dog than, be in a stupid selfish family like this!”

Suddenly, Joon heard a clunk. Both the king and Joon looked at the beheader, who had dropped his axe, and was in tears.

“I never wanted to do dirty deeds like this…” He sobbed, “I only took this job because I needed a job. In reality, this job was too much for me. I would have nightmares of all the people I killed every night. I don’t want to do this anymore.” The beheader wiped his tears and walked off the stage yelling, “I quit!”

The king looked troubled as people started leaving the scene. Other stayed a little and yelled at the king.

“We want a new ruler!” They yelled, “No more mistreatment!”

The king sighed and grabbed the axe, “If you want something done, Do it yourself.”

He lifted the heavy axe, and walked over to Taehyung, giving him the death stare. Joon looked over at his father and gasped. He was going to kill Taehyung himself, and there was nothing Joon could do. He was too far away to stop the king, but maybe he could get there in time if he ran fast enough.

“This is your end…” The king snarled.

Joon ran. He used all his power and ran. He couldn’t let this happen again, and he wouldn’t. He would do all in his power to save Taehyung, even if it meant his death. “TAEHYUNG!” Joon yelled as his feet lifted off the ground towards his dad, who was about to kill his love. Joon felt as if everything was moving in slow motion. He reached out to grab his dad’s arm...

Joon’s eyes fluttered open, and he sat up. He sighed softly as he took in his surroundings. He looked down at his hands and saw… blood?

“Taehyung!” Joon gasped. Had he not been in time? Joon looked up at Taehyung quickly, hoping desperately that he was still alive. Taehyung was unconscious, blood dripping from his neck.

“Taehyung!” Joon yelled, crawling to Taehyung’s unconscious body. Joon put his hand on Taehyung’s warm neck and felt a pulse, “He’s alive.”

Taehyung’s eyes fluttered open as he groaned, “What happened?”

“I’ll tell you later.” Joon whispered hugging Taehyung, “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Taehyung smiled softly, “Now can I please be free?”

“Oh!” Joon gasped totally remembering what happened, “Sure.”

Joon grabbed the keys and unlocked the hanger. Taehyung lifter his hands touching the back of his neck, ”Ow!” He hissed taking his hand away quickly, “What’s there?” He asked Joon.

Joon looks at the place where Taehyung touched and stifled a laugh.

“Joon, what is it?” Taehyung asked, “Why are you laughing?”

“It’s pretty ironic…” Joon said between laughs, “You have a cut on your neck.”

“What’s ironic about that?” Taehyung said standing up and feeling the cut on his head. He took his hand away from the cut quickly and gasped as a little bit of blood dripped from his hand.

Joon stifled another laugh as he tried to speak: “When I saw the blood from your neck, I thought you were dead.”

“I wouldn’t really be dead though” Taehyung argued, “They behead you. They don’t cut you.”

“My bad” Joon said, scratching his head.

“But thanks tho. If you hadn't stepped in and interfered, I would have been dead by now.” Taehyung smiled and sighed softly.

Joon suddenly heard a noise a few feet away from him. He looked and saw the king trying to get up. He had bruises all over, and drops of blood were splattered on the floor.

“If you hadn't interfered,” The king snarled at Joon, “This would have been over faster.”

“Well, I interfered.” Joon stepped up to his father who was still on the floor, “I still stand by my word, and this man is my love. I want to marry him, father.” Joon hesitated before adding: “Oh! I forgot that I’m no longer your son. That means I can marry him if I want to!” Joon smiled at Taehyung.

“You can still come back to the royal family!” The king said, becoming frantic, “Just leave the peasant and come with me! I will give you all the men and women you want! You don’t even have to marry a woman anymore, just please…”

Joon glanced down. He had a hard decision to make. It was either he went with his dad and was a prince again, but he had to leave Taehyung behind, or he stayed with Taehyung and became a peasant.

“Go with him” Taehyung whispered, “I’ll be fine.”

Joon smiled, “Ok but I’ll find a way to be with you again.”

Little did Joon know, the King had a plan to get rid of Taehyung, once and for all.

A few days later…

═════════•°•♚•°•═════════

Joon sat in his room, looking out the window, admiring the sunset, with its cascade of colors painting the sky, Joon sighed, his thoughts wandering aimlessly. The breeze brushed across his face and threaded through his copper brown hair. He had just dyed it in honor of Taehyung. He hadn’t seen Taehyung in a few days and was getting worried. Was something wrong that he hadn’t noticed? Joon debated if to ask his father about Taehyung but he would have second thoughts about it. Since the hanging incident, Joon had become a little more famous. Not that he had already been famous, but his name was all over the news. Joon looked outside scouting for Taehyung one more time before he closed his window and walked to the piano room. He sighed softly as he sat down and opened the old piano up.

“I haven’t done this in such a long time…” Joon muttered to himself as he set his hands on the Ivory keys. He tried to remember what song Taehyung taught him. Joon pressed the first key softly and smiled as it made a sound. Joon frowned as he tried to remember what came next. Finally, the song came to mind and Joon played it softly and slowly. After a few times, it got faster and faster until Joon could play it at the original tempo.

“Prince Joon,” A maid called from outside the room, “Time for dinner”

Joon stopped playing: “Ok, I’ll be right there.” Joon groaned as he got up and walked outside the room. Taehyung’s smiling face popped into his mind as he closed the door. Joon was overwhelmed with sadness, he collapsed on the floor crying. Tears flowing down his face like a tiny river.

“Taehyung…” He sobbed.

After a few minutes of sobbing, Joon decided then and there, he was going to ask his father about Taehyung’s whereabouts. He couldn’t live like this anymore. He missed his hangouts with Taehyung, all the moments they shared, the secret dinner’s they had. It was all over now. Taehyung wasn’t here. After the incident, Joon had met so many men and women who his dad was chosen for him to marry but he rejected all of them because none of them was Taehyung.

Joon wiped his tears and walked to the great hall. There his father and his brother were waiting.

“Joon, where were you?” The king asked, “I called you over here over 10 minutes ago.”

Joon hesitated before responding, “I was using the bathroom.” He felt bad to lie, but he could reveal his emotional breakdown. His brother would never let him hear the end of it. Joon walked to the table and sat down on the right side of his dad. It was where the future king sat, but Joon didn’t feel ready for this position. Time was ticking way too fast for him to keep up.

“Joon,” The king said, “It will soon be time for you to take my place as king.”

“I know” Joon responded blowing on his food once it was set in front of him, “Thank you!” He whispered to the servant who nodded and went back into the kitchen.

“I will give you one day to govern the country and see how well you do.” The king muttered loud enough for Joon to hear.

Joon almost choked on his food, “WHAT?”

“You heard what I said.” King the calmly sighed, “You will be a king-for-a-day tomorrow.”

Joon couldn’t believe what he had just heard. King for a day? All the color drained out of Joon’s face. Byung snickered as Joon shakily ate his food.

“Father, Joon’s going to ruin the whole country” Byung whispered to his father, giving Joon the death stare.

“If he does,” The king responds quickly, “Then I’ll give you a chance to redeem yourself.” Joon glanced down at his food, thinking about what his father had just said. If Byung was king… Joon shook his head.

It better not get to that. Joon thought, his mind filling with fear.

“Excuse me.” Joon suddenly stood up, “I’m going to my room. Good night.” Joon walked to his room, taking slow steps. He stopped in his tracks remembering what he needed to ask his dad.

Oh… No. Joon rushed back to the great hall, but his dad and Byung weren’t there, They must have left. Joon ran to his dad's room, knocking on the door frantically, “Father!” He called.

“What do you want Joon?” The king asked cracking open the door.

“I-I…” Joon hesitated before looking into his dad’s steel stare, “Where is Taehyung?”

The King sighed and closed the door saying, “Let’s talk about this tomorrow, Joon.”

Joon used his foot to stop the door. “No.” Joon put on a sweet smile and asked again, “Where is Taehyung?”

The King looked at Joon, an angry expression plastered on his face. “Why should I tell you?” He asked, locking his eyes with Joon.

Joon sighed, “Because I care about his well being… Unlike YOU.”

The king was furious, “Joon, what’s gotten into you?” He yelled, “You act as you hate me!”

“You act like the villagers are your servants!” Joon said, “I don’t like you mistreating them.”

The King slammed the door in Joon’s face muttering, “Go to sleep Joon.”

“Father.” Joon yelled, “Father!”

The King didn’t respond. Joon stomped back to his room, feeling like he wanted to punch something. He felt tears welling up in his eyes and ran to his room.

Dang it, He thought, Not again… but it was too late. Tears were already running down his face. He flopped onto his bed, trying to stifle the sobs coming from his mouth.

“What would Taehyung do?” Joon repeated between sobs, thinking of what his love would do if he was here. “He would tell me to stop crying, then give me a big hug…” Joon muttered, but there wasn’t anyone to give him hugs. Taehyung was gone, and Joon was alone, trapped in his own dark mind all over again.

“Wake up your highness.” A voice said, “King Joon…”

Joon’s eyes fluttered open and the mention of his name.

Wait a minute. King? Joon thought. Then it all came back to him. He was king for a day.

“I’m up…” Joon groaned, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. Once his eyesight cleared, there was a maid standing in front of him, with clothes in her hands. Joon plastered a confused look on his face, “I have clothes here.” He said stumbling out of bed.

“Those clothes are not fit for a King.” The maid responded like she was reading off a script.

“Oooooh” Joon pretended to understand, as he tried to take the clothes. The maid pulled away.

“Pri- King Joon,” The maid said, “I have to help you change.”

“Woah, what?” Joon stepped away from the maid, as he laughed shakily, “I thought you just said you had to help me get dressed, like see me get undressed.”

The maid looked confused as if Joon had never heard of this, “Yes.”

“I think I’m fine.” Joon stepped back as the maid came towards him.

“The king told me to do thi-” The maid suddenly covered her mouth, “I said too much. Will you not tell the king please?” She pleaded tears welling up in her eyes.

“Only if you don’t help me get dressed.” Joon smiled, “I won’t tell him.”

The maid looked relieved when Joon promised not to tell and took the clothes, but Joon was a little confused. Was his dad this scary that people would do anything just so the king wouldn’t find out? Joon started undressing and the maid gasped. She ran to the window and quickly looked outside. Joon froze in place. He forgot that the maid was even there!

“Um…” Joon started, Could you... You know… go?”

The maid didn’t turn back when she responded, “Um… I really don’t think I can because the king might be outside and if he sees me, I will be in big trouble.”

“Ooooh” Joon understood. Joon pulled up his nightgown and walked into the bathroom. He would change there.

As he changed, the maid admired the view from the window. The sun was just beginning to rise, leaving a pink horizon in its wake. The maid tried to stifle a laugh when she heard Joon struggling to put the clothes on.

“My king, do you need help?” She yelled.

“No!” Joon yelled back, “I’m ok!”

The maid couldn’t hold it anymore. She burst out laughing when Joon was struggling again.

“What are you laughing at?” Joon asked from the bathroom.

The maid immediately covered her mouth, “Nothing, my king!”

Joon hesitated before answering, “I… I… need help.”

The maid sighed softly as she went to go help Joon. How bad could it have been that Joon needed help? The maid opened the bathroom door and gasped. Joon was stuck in a tangle of clothes. The main smiled trying to hide her amusement.

Joon frowned, “What are you smiling about?”

“I’m sorry this is just the first time something like this happened.” The maid said, starting to untangle Joon from the clothes. When she touched Joon’s body, Joon’s face turned a bright red.

“S-so… you're not b-bothered to see me… U-undressed?” Joon stuttered.

“No.” The maid replied still untangling Joon, “My mom did the same thing with your father when he was preparing to be king. She gave me some advice.”

Joon’s face returned to its normal color, “Oh. Ok.”

After a few minutes, at last, Joon was free. The maid stayed and helped Joon get into his clothes while chatting with Joon about king stuff. At last, they were done changing.

“That wasn’t so bad,” Joon confessed.

The maid didn’t say anything when she walked out.

“Bye… Sandra.” Joon said.

“Bye… Joon.” The maid(Sandra) responded.

Joon looked outside as Sandra left. The sky was a bright blue and the village was bustling. Time to start his day as a king.