Finding Oneself | Teen Ink

Finding Oneself

April 30, 2019
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I love to write and this story embodies a fun story on how I felt how I fell in love with my partner in life.

The school bell rang jerking me out of my morning daydreams. It was fairly cold in Louisiana today, the wind blew hard enough to have trees hit the widows creating a constant sound filling the classroom. The smell of the swamp was always around and I never liked it. Moving from California it was a great change from the usual comforts. The people were nicer and friendly, but still kept to myself. My 18th birthday was coming up and my parents were ready to kick me out. They were a nuclear family, perfect as it seems. Walking to my next class, biology, I put on headphones and listen to ACDC before sitting down and daydreaming more as my teacher rambles for what seems for hours. The bell rang again signaling for the beginning of the class period. Pulling out a piece of paper I doodle and half listen to the class.

“Johnathon, what do you think?” her inquiring voice shook me out of my haze and I looked up at her blankly.

“Uhh… Yes?” the girls in front of me giggled and she smiles and walk away, blood rushed to my face and I sunk back into my plastic seat to attempt paying attention in the class. Rambling about why ducks are such complex animals she talked until the bell rang again, kids frantically pulled together their book and shuffled out the door to their lockers before leaving for the day. I always carried my backpack with me and so I was prepared to face the crowded hallways with slamming doors and yelling teens. Stepping outside the clean air filled my lungs and although it smelled of swamp and mold it was refreshing to the stale air left inside the small classroom

“Jonathan!” the familiar voice overridden the booming wind and my body turned around to see the familiar face of Alex.

“Alex!” my heart flutters when my eyes meet her sweet blue ones and her lips curl into a smile, she runs over and hugs me tightly, the smell of her flowery perfume filled my nose masking the swamp smell and causing my muscles to relax I hug back.

“I thought you were gonna be gone all weekend too.”

“I was, but my dad got sick and we ended up coming home early so I came to see my best friend!” she squeezed again before letting me go to get a look at my whole face. “Gosh I know it’s only been a week Jonathan but I missed your dorky face so much!” my glasses were balanced on my nose as my brown shaggy hair blew in the wind into my face and eyes.

“Ouch Alex.” I said and then grabbed her hand. “I missed you too though” sincerely I hugged her again before running to the bus barely making it.

My house was quite big, only two stories, but it was wide. The house had 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a kitchen, entertainment room, and living room. The bedrooms and bathrooms were upstairs with white plush carpet and the kitchen, entertainment room, and living room all set downstairs with a cherry hardwood floor. Opening the door the smell of alcohol stole the air, making it stale and harsh.

“Home sweet home” I mumble and remove my shoes wandering upstairs, the plush carpet hugging my feet and bouncing me up the stairs. Snoring can be heard through the door as my mom slept in a drunken induced sleep snoring and shaking the house. Wandering into my room the sight of my bed and small space makes me happy. Posters of bands covers my walls as a small window lets light in. A desk sits by the door with drawings and books covering every empty space available. My bed with blue sheets and a wolf blanket is nicely made and my hamper overflowing. Dropping my book back and shuffling to my bed, I flop down my body bouncing a little before going still, every part of my body was supported and I laid staring at the empty ceiling. The longer I stared at the ceiling the more shapes I made in my head, the popcorn effect seemed to always cause weird shapes to form. My head started to ache so I got up and went into the closest bathroom. Looking into the mirror my green eyes glow against the harsh LED light. My brown hair falls in between my eyes and under my glasses, turning on the faucet I splash my face, wipe it off and head downstairs for some Netflix. Sitting on the leather sofa I turn on the TV and go into a mindless watching session, but before I know it BANG! The door slams open and my dad come in screaming.

“Where is your mother?!” he looks at me and my head whips over to see his eyes almost red with rage and his breathing was harsh and rapid as sweat beaded on his forehead.

“U-upstairs” he stared at me, his eyes piercing my soul, imagining beating me. He turns and yells

“Amanda! Get down here!” my body shakes as his voice was like a predator hunting for its prey, finding it and killing it. Like a deer in headlights I stayed still knowing what will happen next. Her small body walked out the door and hobbled to the stairs

“Shut up Harry.” Her voice dry and harsh, but careless, his face turned red and his hands curled into fists making his knuckles turn white. I quietly got up, as they stared at each other intently, the air heavy and silent. The floorboard creaked and they swung their heads over and stared at me. My heart pounded as his mouth opened, but calmly his voice stated.

“Leave.” I took his advice to heart and I got up and left without question. Did not even put my shoes on, I grabbed them and went out the door, again that swampy air waiting to greet me.

Knowing how to drive and having my license was nice, never cared to drive to school because new drivers would always mess up other people’s cars, but when I had the chance I took it. Having a little hamster, but a big frame also made driving to places a challenge. Driving to the nearest park I pull into the parking lot, step out and lock my car. The sky is dark only lit by the moon and far away stars. A small path leads through the park lit by illuminating pods down in the grass. Sitting on the nearest park bench the night, air nips at my nose and a breeze blows my hair to the side. A shiver runs down my spine.

“Hello?” a deep voice rumbles. I turn and a tall man stands, blonde hair pierces through the night and blue eyes meet my gaze. The eyes like an ocean, deep and mysterious. “Can you speak?”

“Oh yeah, hello.” I say in realizing I was staring for a while. “Can I help you?”

“I am Daminine.”

“I’m Jonathan.” I said then stood to shake hands. “Nice to meet you” the man smiles and nodded to my manners. “So. What is it?”

“Yeah. I am new here and I am looking for a café” He smiled, his teeth bright.

“Follow this path and then take a right onto B street there should be one around there.” It was my favorite place to go at night aside from the park so, at least I knew something.

“Thank you, Jonathan.” he turned on his heel and left me behind in the darkness. A feeling of loneliness rushed over me and I wanted to follow.  

“Excuse me!” I yell after him, not thinking before doing. Turning his head.

“Yes?” Nervously I run up to him.

“May I join you?” He smiled gently and continued to walk towards the café. I followed. When we got to the small place it was warm and smelled of fresh coffee. It was not very busy at this time of night, but still people sat and talked while drinking their tea or coffee.

“What do you want.” his voice commanding.

“I’ll pay for my own.” I said, pulling out my wallet.

“Nope, I owe you for helping me find this place.” his tone told me that there was no changing Daminine’s mind.

“Caramel Breve please”

“Okay.” When called up, he ordered our drinks and we found a cozy place in the corner to sit and drink.

“Thank you.” I take a sip of the warm sweet drink. Running down my throat it warms my stomach and brings the feeling of comfort.

“You are welcome. How long have you lived here?” Daminine sips his green tea and stares into my eyes.

“Only a little over a year.”

“Wow. That is not long, just moved, but I am from…” He paused and thought.

“From?”

“From, Colorado!” he was obviously lying, but I do not care. We talked that night for hours about random things before heading our separate ways home. Climbing into my small car I drive home and sneak inside. Nothing was broken and there was no more screaming so seemed okay. Quietly sneaking upstairs, I go back into my room, strip, brush my teeth and go to the bathroom, before curling in bed and dozing off thinking about my new friend. The morning sun woke me by blinding my eyes. Giving myself a lecture about staying up too late, I wonder my way to the bathroom where I take off my boxers and look in the mirror. Scars from years before cover my body, moving here was supposed to be a new start. But does not seem like this will ever stop. Memories of cigarette burns and cuts, lay on my chest. Stepping into the shower I turn it on and wash up. When done, I dry myself off, then do the usual morning routine that consists of getting dressed, eating breakfast, brushing teeth, and then the school bus. Getting to my first period was usually uneventful, being knocked into and pushed around while walking in the halls was a usual challenge. But today the halls were empty and silent. Wandering around I get a whole lap around the school, nobody. Checking my phone I know it is a school day. Sitting at a bench look around, confused.

“Johnathon!” my name echoes through the halls being carried by a familiar voice. Daminine's voice. Standing I follow the calling until I see something else in front of me.

“Daminine?” quietly the thing turns around. Wings of white feather spanned the width of the halls. They were attached to a well built man in jeans and a T-shirt. “Is that you?” a smile ran across his face.

“I found you!” he said and started to walk over to me. I take a step back worried as my heart pounded.

“Who are you?” watching his every move his body starts to lose its shape the wings cracking and bending as his form twisting into the familiar shape of Daminine. Looking up and down in awe Daminine smiles.

“Hello again, I am here to take you on an adventure.” snickering I say


“Are you serious? An adventure? I do not think so, you are not taking me anywhere.” Daminine sighed impatiently.

“Okay. Look. Don’t make this hard on me, you are coming with me.” Shaking my head, I turn and start to walk away.

Hell no.” I don’t look back, but soon enough a hand wraps around my wrist tightly squeezing pulling me to a halt.

“You are not going anywhere.” He kept his grip and I flinched in pain. It started to hurt and pinch my skin.

“Okay fine weirdo. So now I have a supernatural kidnapper take me on an adventure?” Daminine frowned and pulled my wrist, dragging me along outside of school.

“I am an angel here to lead you through the path of light. Now stay.” Before I could comment his body started to crack and twist into the other figure. Being closer offered up a new view. He was tall and the wings were big, and strong enough to carry two people. He wore a blue T-shirt and jeans that changed with his figure to keep him dressed. Grabbing my wrist again, he runs across the parking lot and opens a portal jumping through. Digging my heels in the ground to attempt stopping failed and I went into the portal with him. The portal travel was only a few seconds, but it pulled on my body stretching it and crushing my skull, as I scream in pain. On the other side my head screamed and my body ached as I crash into the ground below us. We were in a park with walkways of quartz, the sun caused a blinding glare against the walkways. The grass was well kept and bright green as the trees were covered in gold and silver. They were regular trees, but if it snowed silver and gold on them. There were benches of wood and people walked around, some with wings, some looked like regular people. Looking around I see Daminine standing and perfectly happy, his smile the most charming thing.

“Ouch” my raspy voice cracks like I haven’t had water in years.

“Are you okay?” he asks, as I lay flat on my back and stare up at him.

“How are you not in pain?” Getting on my hands and knees, I stand but wobble so he keeps me up. He grabbed my waist and held me up like a drunk girlfriend.

“Humans are more fragile and so the portal at first is a little” takes a moment to think “traumatizing”

“A little?! My everything is traumatized” He laughed and led me to a bench. We sat for a few minutes before he stood up.

“Okay time to go!” his cheery voice made me smile because it reminded me of an excited child. This park was busy and beings walked all around looking extremely serious and dressed up.

“What is this place?” His face became more sincere and his eyes glazed over, like it, reminds him of something, a memory not to be touched.

“This is the middle world. Kind of like a train station where creatures go to be a part of your world, my world, and the underworld.” His eyes traveled over the giant area. “You only have to think of a place and jump through.”

“So, we have to go portal jumping again.” I sighed, it hurt and I did not want to do it again.


“Yes. We do, but it will not be as aggressive.” his eyes lost their glaze and he smiled again. “Time to go!” He grabbed my hand and pulled me along the park until we found a blue and pink staircase. Down at the bottom was a mist that twirled and danced along the ground, a pleasant welcoming atmosphere.

“Where does this place go?”

“To your mother”

“My mother?” before I could get a response he headed down the stairs, his wings barely fitting in the room for the stairs. Running after him, I trip and tumble into the mist. It sucks me in but instead of being pulled apart, it felt like a hug, a tight hug, but nonetheless a hug. Once on the other end, the portal spits me out. Rolling onto a cold marble floor I cough, the air was thin and cold. It made me pant for air before my head went light and I black out.

A woman's voice, sweet and kind to the ear whispers “Is he okay?”. My focus fades in and out of consciousness. Voices come in and out, but just in mumbles. The haze clears and my eyes open. The glaring light blinds me and I wince to try to adjust, when my senses clear up I feel warm as a soft animal pelt lies on my body. Sitting up I see I’m on a black bed in a harsh white room, one window lets in sunlight illuminating the room. Still in my own clothes I leave the warmth behind and stand. There was a dresser and a bench, otherwise the room was empty. The door was dark wood and the floor was marble, my shoes sat nicely at the foot of my bed so I slipped them on and went towards the door.

“You’re awake!” Daminine bursts through the door and almost hits me with it.

“What happened?” I asked stepping back.

“You passed out before you could meet your mom, she was really excited and stayed up really late, but had to go to bed before you woke.” He smiled brightly but his eyes showed exhaustion.

“What time is it?”

“It is midnight.” the sun shone through the window.

“But the sun is still shining.”

“Ah. Yes, the sun never sets here”

“Where IS here exactly” I am so confused, where am I, how do I leave, why am I here, all these questions ran through my head, but daminine’s eyes could barely stay open. With a yawn

“We are in a place humans never see until granted access. It is holy and beautiful but beyond perfect.”

“So like heaven?” I headed back towards the bed and sat down, this was so much to process and so unbelievable. I saw an angel and went through portals and now I am in heaven.

“Not exactly but, sure.” He followed into my room and sat down next to me. He smelled like cinnamon rolls, it warmed my nose and followed down my throat into my stomach. He looked cute with the sleepy eyes, his wings had a glow that illuminated his everything. “What are you staring at?” he asked with a giggle. Without thinking about what I was saying before I said it

“You.” I said without hesitation, then he blushed, then I realized what I just said and turned away. “Sorry, anyways why am I here, aside from my.” doing hand quotes” “mother” all of a sudden wanting to see me.” Daminines face straightened

“You are half angel and half demon, soon you will be 18 and you need to choose what you wanna be.” my silence must have said enough about how strange this was because he continued. “I am here to guide you in whatever direction you wish to go, first we see the angel realm and next we see the demon, then you choose.”

“I have to choose that quickly? I am not getting to just live my life as a human?” Daminine shook his head and abruptly stood.

“That is not how it works here.” I was getting annoyed and stood up and stormed in front of him.

“So what now? Am I supposed to just choose my fate and never see my friends again, or go to college, or follow my dreams of who I wanted to become.” my face turned red and his eyes met mine and held them in a lock.

“Yes, you are expected to do this and if you don’t your soul will be forever banished.” His face didn’t move a muscle and he stood tall. His eyes glimmered and a fire was lit inside of me. It burned, it burned wild. Something wasn't right and he knew it. But our eyes could not unlock, and a sudden feeling of knowing him for years before this moment flushed over me. His face turned red and our souls connected, they shared a history and it flashed before our eyes. My palms started to sweat and I pulled away. Our eyes disconnected and like a band snapping the trance was gone but the fire still burned inside of me. We stood silently for a short while silence filling the room and causing a stand still as we process what just happened. But the silence was disturbed by a portal opening in my room. The red glow of the portal filled my room and mist pooled out of it and laid over my floor like a blanket. Alex wandered through, watching stunned to see her face Daminine took charge.

“What are you doing here demon?” his voice was cruel and full of hatred.

“Demon?!” I turn and look at him, then her, then back at him again while I stood in the middle. Alex smiled, but her smile was wrong and crooked, not the smile I was used to seeing on my best friend's face.

“I have every right to be here. I am his best friend and all I wanted was to say hi.” her voice wasn't the sweet friendly voice my Alex had. It was instead croaky and rigid. She stood and stared at me with that damn smile, it was haunting to the soul, on a human it just wasn’t right, it did not belong there. “How about you come with your best friend, not this thing.” he face was full of disgust as she gestured toward Daminine.

“You are not my friend, you are something else.” my voice cracked and showed I was clearly disturbed and upset. He hand reached for my wrist and latched on. “What are you doing?!” I screamed, her had squeezed around my wrist and he smile grew.

“You’re coming with me Jonathan”  she pulled hard stepping into the portal and pulling me in with her. I reached towards Daminine and out fingertips grazed but it was too late as the red portal consumed my body and pulled me deeper into the abyss.

“Welcome to the Underground!” Alex’s voice echoed in my head as I tumble out of the portal. This time I didn’t pass out and I was grateful, but the sight to see was horrid. The heat was almost unbearable, it made the air thick and heavy making it hard to breathe. Everything was a shade of red, but the room was like a cave. Jagged red rocks acted as walls and the ground wasn’t any different. The sound of people screaming echoed throughout, but not the pain kind of screaming. I gagged at the thought and looked at Alex. She smiled, “Welcome again, this is the land of pleasure.” I frowned and cringed, knowing that my theory on the screams were correct. She turned and started to walk toward the exit, which was a long bridge made out of the same rock, it stretched for about a mile over a red pit.

“Take me back.” I demanded “I will not follow you.” she turned back at me a few feet away.

“No, you are meant to be here, with me, your best friend and lover.” I always knew Alex had a crush on me but, lately I have discovered I have feelings for others. “You love me

 

Jonathon.” her eyes turned red and her body shifted and shaped into a beautiful woman in exposing clothes. My body warmed and my heart sped up.

“Follow me…” her hand reached out and my body started to walk. But, I thought about the feeling I had with Daminine and how he made a fire in my heart burn lighter than anything before. The trance was broken, my mind and control came back and I fought myself to a halt on the bridge. Looking down to the pit below thousands of people had sex in all fashions. Looking away quickly I wince from being traumatized for the rest of my life. Looking straight forward I follow her, although not out of love but curiosity. I could find a new way out myself because obviously she is no use. I can not believe that my best friend for years has been a demon from the underground and I didn’t know about it. The bridge took forever to get across but a great building made of rock stood tall and casted a dark shadow across the bridge. We walked inside and people of all kinds ate food, bathed in baths, and played games like gambling. The entrance smelled of all kinds of delicious food, food only found in the castle of a medieval king. She led me up a flight upstairs and into a giant ballroom where people stood with plates of food waiting for me, women stood in exposing and degrading clothing, and a young man on a throne sat in the middle of the floor waiting.

“Welcome to the palace of pleasure!” his voice was deep and strong as it echoed around. He was mostly naked except for a small leather flap, when he stood, he was tall towering above most, he was well kept and clean. “I am Leonardo, the king. But, everything is truly a king or queen here.” he smiled, it was a malicious smile. One where I knew this man was up to something.

“Why am I here?” I asked, knowing very well why but curious for his response.

“Well you indulge yourself.” Alex answered for him and smiled her own strange smile.

“Alex? Why don’t you treat our guest to some food?” Alex nodded her head and went to one of the people. Grabbing a serving tray she heads back over and opened the lid.

“Your favorite, shepards pie.” she bowed, the smell filled my nose teasing my stomach, it rumbled in response begging for a bite.

“No thank you, I would like to see daminine again, please.” this place felt wrong in every way, like a giant lie and I would not fall for it.

“You may not. You will stay here and eat, and not be a rude guest.” The king walked over and stood above me, he was scarier up close, but I will stand my ground.

“No.” My voice came out loud and strong compared to how I felt on the inside. I was truly scared and shaking. The ground started to shake and the perfect palace started to fall apart. My stomach filled with a warmth and choked me as my back started to burn, a pain that brought me to my knees.

“No! This is not fair!” the king's bones cracked and creaked as his form changed into a haunting creature. His legs were ones of a human, but feet of a monkey and the body of a zebra and the face of a lion. He howled in anger and stomped away like an angry child. Turning around, he stated one last time “I will find you and I will make you live with me as mine!” Walls collapsed around us and the ground cracked as he ran off. Screaming my shoulder blades are forced apart and my skin pushed and pulled as wings break through covered in blood and sending excruciating surges throughout my torso. The ground began to crack under me, trying to stand my legs give up under me and I collapse under myself. Struggling to stand a familiar voice rings in my ears.

“Jonathan!” daminine screamed, and burst through into the room running after me. Alex ran in front of me. Her face melting off like candle wax and her true nature showing behind. Dark green skin became exposed as her mask melted away. The green goop bubbled and shifted as her face is in a constant shift never to a true shape.

“Don’t touch him!” Daminine screamed, as he ran panting heavily.

“Why would you do this to me?” her voice full sorrow. As she spoke, tears ran down my face as I saw my best friend fall away like pieces. My words shook to much and, my mouth stuck together like glue and refused to make words possible. I just looked up at her as the crack below me began to widen and the ground shook more fiercely. My heart broke into little pieces as blood pooled around me, pouring out of my shoulders and down my spine. Damnine ran over and shoved Alex, or whatever she was, away wrapping his arms around me.

“Johnathon you need to get up now!” He lifted my limp body, my legs dangling as if they were broken. The pain became numb and my body became weak. My clothing soaked in blood and my face pale he carries me away from the cracking floor and creates a portal. Pulling me in I watch the castle crumble and the bridge collapses as what once a place of pleasure was now a place of torture, as people held up rocks on their backs and the sound of whips cracking and painful screams filled my ears numbing my empty thoughts. The portal swallowed us whole and brought us back to the small room, the warm sun glow left the room with a yellow tint. I collapsed back onto the ground and sobbed the new wings covered in blood, but still glowed under the light. They were a navy blue the feathers doused, but still glowing. They wrapped around me, putting me into a cocoon on the marble floor. Daminine rubbed the wings gently and lovingly.

“I’m so sorry this happened to you, you chose not knowing the costs of having wings and not knowing in general.” My wings unwrapped and I looked up at him. My heart fluttered at his smile and his sweet smell.

“So am I an angel now?” my voice dry and harsh against my throat. He nodded and smiled, running his hands against the bloody wings, the sense of his touch sent a warm tingle down the wings and sent a shiver down my spine.

“You have chosen, now time to get you cleaned up and you can meet your mom.”

“What does it mean to be an angel?” I asked, as I attempted to stand and wobble my way to the bathroom. While getting undressed daminine came in with a giant smile.

“It means that we can be together forever and you will be able to be with your true mom once again.” My heart fluttered once again as our journey together will begin and I truly get to learn who he is



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.