The Quest | Teen Ink

The Quest

By Liv0303 BRONZE, Eldora, Iowa
Liv0303 BRONZE, Eldora, Iowa

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated." -Maya Angelou

Author's note:

I wrote this story for a class, but the entire time I enjoyed writing it.

The entire kingdom was in a panic. The king’s most precious person has gone missing, his daughter. Princess Kaliliah was taken by one of the most viscous person that ever lived in the Kingdom of Camilia since medieval times. King Rex was furious. He was after blood, but he wasn’t the only one. Sir Cameron was too. He had fallen for the princess and when she went missing he grew angry. That was the reason he didn’t hesitate to volunteer when the king asked for someone to go on a quest to find his beloved Kaliliah.

***

“I have called you here today to discuss a serious matter,” King Rex declared, “We need to discuss my beautiful baby girl, Princess Kaliliah. I regret having to do this, but I must ask one of you to volunteer to go after her. Before you go you should know the risks. There will be…”

Sir Cameron spoke up and interrupted the king mid sentence and said, “I’ll do it.”

Cameron watched as everyone turned to him and looked at him in shock. With tears in his eyes he began walking up to the front to stand right next to the king. He could feels the eyes of the people on him, but he didn’t care. He would do anything to save Princess Kaliliah because she was the love of his life.

When he got to the front he stood up straight, looked at the king, and said, “Sir, I would be honored to save your daughter.”

“Are you sure about this? You don’t even know what the risks are,” the king said to Cameron.

“I don’t care what the risks are. I care about your daughter. I can’t lose her,” Cameron didn’t want to say that he loved her even though he did.

“I am so grateful to have a man as brave as you in this kingdom. I wish you luck on this journey to rescue Princess Kaliliah,” King Rex was praying the Cameron would bring his daughter back.

***

Back at his hut Cameron began to pack for his long voyage. He grabbed a satchel and began to fill it. He put twelve ears of corn, two loaves of cornbread, and some rice. Just as Cameron was getting ready to leave his best friend Harrold entered.

Cameron looked up, sighed, and said, “Don’t try to talk me out of it Harrold. I’m going.”

“Please,” Harrold pleaded, “If I can’t stop you from going then at least let me come with you.”

“No! I can not put you in harm’s way,” Cameron said.

“But…”

“No,” Cameron said again, “You just don’t understand that this is something that I need to do myself. I love Princess Kaliliah. She is the best thing that has happened to this world and I need to save her.”

Harrold nodded as if he understood. Cameron started to leave, but before he left he looked around and saw this antique vase that his mother gave to him before she died. Cameron looked back at Harrold, nodded, and left.

***

Cameron stopped right before he entered the woods. He knew the stories about the ghosts, goblins, and monsters. All he could do was pray for the confidence, strength, and courage to move forward. Then he thought about Kaliliah’s smile, her laugh, how kind she was, and he gained the strength to move forward.

As he made his way through the woods he heard the yammer of the animals, the buzzing of the bees, and the rhythm of the river. Cameron looked around and noticed how beautiful it was. That was something that he had never noticed before. He looked up and saw the birds flying around, playing, and singing their amazing song.

Just as Cameron was getting lost in his thoughts he heard the sound of branches breaking and leaves crunching. He nearly jumped out of his skin and began looking around. He threw his head from side to side trying find whatever it was that he heard.

He called out, “Hello? Is anyone there? Whoever’s out there show yourself.”

He heard someone move behind him. His heart began to beat faster and faster and faster. He didn’t know who or what was out there. Before he realized it he was running as fast as possible. He knew that he had to get out of there, but he didn’t know where to go. Out of nowhere he got hit on the back of the head.

After he got hit he tried to get up but realized that he couldn’t move. He heard someone walking over to him and he kept trying to get up. The person grabbed his leg and with ease dragged him. The next thing he knew he was tied to a tree and the man was standing right in front of him.

After taking a few breaths in Cameron finally asked, “Who are you?”

He looked at Cameron stood up straighter, and responded, “I am Luke. Protector of the wild and you are the man in my home. What gives you the right to venture through here?”

“I am on a journey to find Princess Kaliliah of the kingdom of Camilia. She was recently abducted by a man by the name of Preston. He is the most atrocious man that has ever lived in Camilia,” Cameron said with the hope that Luke would release him.

Luke chuckled and asked, “What will you derive from this? How is this Princess’ life more important than your own safety,” Cameron looked at the ground and then Luke continued, “Oh. You love her. Don’t you?”

Cameron nodded and finally answered, “Fine. I do love her. She is the best thing that has ever happened to this world. Her smile is the sweetest and the way she speaks it like a beautiful song. I’m hoping that if I save her her father, King Rex, will let me marry her. So please let me go.”

Luke smirked and said, “No.”

Cameron struggled trying to free himself and watched as Luke walked away. He began panicking and then thought to himself. Calm down. You can get out of this. Think of Kaliliah. Think of her. As the fire grew inside him and burned he broke free of the ropes and hit the ground. He stood up and started to run.

He could hear Luke yelling when he found Cameron had escaped. Just when Cameron thought that he was safe a giant dog jumped in front of him with Luke on top. Cameron’s eyes grew wide and he turned to run the other way. He felt the hard ground beneath his feet and the cool breeze hitting his face as he slapped tree branches out of his way.

He ran until he almost ran off the edge of a cliff. He looked back and could hear Luke and his dog coming. He knew that he had to think quick. He looked around and saw a vine. He climbed a tree, looked back, grabbed the vine, closed his eyes, and jumped. When he let go he realized that he was on the other side. Cameron hadn’t even realized that he had let go. When he looked back he saw that Luke and his dog were standing on the other side staring at him. Then without a word they turned around and left.

Cameron was relieved that he could finally breathe again, and realized that he was starving. He reached around to grab his satchel but realized that it was gone. He sighed and knew that he left it.

“Great,” Cameron said to himself, “Now I have no food.”

He didn’t care he knew that he must continue on his journey to save the princess. He didn’t care how hungry he was or how tired he was. Kaliliah was the love of his life and he must save her. He continued on.

***

Cameron was now exhausted and looked up and saw that the sun was setting. He needed sleep but knew that he couldn’t rest until his beloved Kaliliah was safe in his arms. He stopped and took a few breaths in and continued on.

As he walked he could feel himself growing weaker, but still he walked on. He reached a river that he had to cross and he knew that he couldn’t swim across because he wasn’t strong enough. He looked around and was relieved when he saw a boat. He ran over to it and when he got there he grew angry because it was missing an oar. He looked around and found a stick that he could use as one. Cameron pushed the boat into the water and hopped in. He barely had the strength to row the boat, but with great difficulty he made it across the river to the other side. When he stepped out of the boat he immediately collapsed.

***

When Cameron woke up it was morning, and he had moved to the top of what he thought was a mountain. He stood up stretched and then saw that there were other people there. The next thing he saw was that none of them were looking at him. He was confused and saw them all working and concentrating hard on something. He walked over to the edge of what he thought was a mountain, looked down, and gasped when he saw that it wasn’t a mountain but a volcano and what he was looking at was molten lava.

Cameron’s breathing grew heavier by the second and his head began to spin. When he looked around he saw something that terrified him to the core. He saw Princess Kaliliah tied to a pole, unconscious, and hanging over the edge. He knew that that could only mean one thing. These monsters were under the control of Preston and they were going to throw her off the cliff into the lava.

Cameron didn’t even think before he started to run and yelled with a trembling voice, “Kaliliah! Kal!”

She opened her eyes as much as she could and through her swollen black eyes she looked right at Cameron. She tried to say his name but was too weak. She let her head drop and Cameron’s eyes filled with tears. Then out of nowhere he was knocked down. When he got up he saw that it was Preston who had knocked him down. The fire began to burn within Cameron again and he ran at Preston and he shoved Preston.  Preston fell so hard that when he hit the ground he was knocked out cold. Cameron turned again and ran to Kaliliah.

When he got there he looked at the pole and knew he had to act fast. He began climbing up the pole and stopped when he felt the pole slip. He had to move faster and more careful. As he started to move again only one thing ran through his mind I’m coming my sweet, beloved Kaliliah. I’m coming. Just hold on. Before he knew it he was at the top of the pole and he began to untie Kaliliah. He held onto her when he felt the pole slip again. He started to untie her faster, and that was when the pole fell.

Cameron swept Princess Kaliliah up in his arms and jumped. He was relieved when he landed it. Cameron was finally able to let it all go. Just as he let the first tear stroll down his cheek Kaliliah opened her eyes.

He looked down and she said, “Cam?”

“I’m here,” Cameron responded overjoyed that she wasn’t dead.

Cameron stood up and helped her up and she looked at him with tears in her eyes and collapsed into his arms.

She began to cry and said, “Why?”

Cameron asked, “Why what?”

“Why,” Kaliliah began, “Why would you risk your life for me?”

Cameron put his finger under her chin, pulled her head up, and responded, “I did this because I love you. Kal you are my world. Without you I would be nothing. I wouldn’t have a reason to live. Without you I wouldn’t have a reason to fight for what I believe in and for what I love. Kaliliah the only thing that got me through this journey was that I knew I would see you again. I had to see you again. I couldn’t give up, because your love and you are more important than anything I have ever had.”

Kaliliah fell back into his arms and smiled. Cameron held her and never wanted to let go, but knew that they had to get back to the kingdom.

***

When they finally made it back to Camilia the entire kingdom celebrated. They were all ecstatic that their princess was finally back home where she belonged. Not only did they celebrate the homecoming, but they also celebrated Cameron for bringing her home. Cameron was finally going to ask the king to let him marry Princess Kaliliah. He thought that it was weird that he wasn’t even nervous, but guessed that it was because after almost dying and all that he had been through this wasn’t that scary. He knew what he wanted and he was going to get it and he had the journey to thank for teaching him that.

Cameron made his way to the king and when he got there he looked at him and said, “King Rex? May I speak with you?”

“Of course son. You may have anything. You brought my baby girl back to me. I am eternally grateful to you,” King Rex said smiling.

Cameron took a deep breath and started, “Sir, I was wondering,” then cameron stopped and started again, “You know what I’ve been through a lot in the past three days. I’m not wondering. I’m here to tell you. I love your daughter. She is my world, my sun, and my moon. I can’t live without her. I would be honored to marry her if you will allow it. I will take care of her. I will never let another tear fall down her face, and I will…”

King Rex cut Cameron off before he could finish and said, “Yes. You may marry her. You have really proven yourself these past three days. You’ve proved that should anything happen to my daughter you won’t eat, rest, or quit until she is safe again. That is the type of person that I want to marry my daughter. So yes you can marry Kaliliah.”

Just as soon as the king was finished speaking Princess Kaliliah burst through the door and ran to her father saying, “Thank you, daddy. Thank you.”

After hugging her dad she ran right into Cameron’s arms. He picked her up, spun her around, and hugged her. The two of them were overjoyed that King Rex was allowing them to get married. King rex had decided that the two of them would get married two months later.

***

Cameron couldn’t believe that it was finally the day that he was going to get married. He watched as Princess Kaliliah walked down the aisle in her white princess gown. He thought about how she looked like an angel. That there was nothing more beautiful than what he was looking at walking towards him.

After Cameron and Kaliliah got married they headed off to an island for their honeymoon. After that they would come back and help the king rule their kingdom.