Seth's Life | Teen Ink

Seth's Life

By ss20212022 BRONZE, Cecilia, Kentucky
ss20212022 BRONZE, Cecilia, Kentucky

Author's note:

The story is really touching because I knew a girl who watched her mother die right in front of her and she was scared for life.

Today is the day I graduate. It doesn’t feel right to me though cause someone is missing and that is my mom. I was 8 when my mother died and was devastated for weeks. I  was hoping that she would be there for graduation from High school, but she wasn’t there the way I wanted her to be. She was watching me graduate from up above, in Heaven. I sit next to my girlfriend, Samantha. We have been together for almost two years, and I am so happy I found a girl like her. She is special to me and the love of my life. I wish my mom could meet her cause I’m pretty sure that she’d like her. Samantha reminds me so much of my mom. They both love to read and write. I think I can’t remember one time that my mom wasn’t reading whether it was to me at night before bed or when she has time. They both have a notebook for when they finish the book that they’ll write down some notes about the book. Samantha and mom both love to bake and cook. Sometimes Samantha would find my mother’s secret recipes and cook them for me on mom’s birthday to try and cheer me up.

We had finally graduated and Samantha,Ryan,Macey and I all go to the mall to celebrate and hangout together just to have some fun. Samantha and Macey go  look at dresses while Ryan and I go to the other end of the mall. Ryan and I walk past this jewelry store, and I remember I want to get Samantha a gift for our second anniversary. We looked around here for something until I came across a ring with a ruby stone in it. I thought it was the perfect ring for Samantha because her birthday was in July and I can get our anniversary engraved on the bottom of the ring to make it special and I’ll buy her a heart-shaped gold locket and put our picture in it and engraved “Seth’s girl” on it. I spent $300 just on my girl, but it was worth it because this is a big deal for me and she means the world to me. I don’t know what I’d do without her in my life. I mean Samantha is like my everything. We met back up with the girls and Samantha has found this amazing dress she wanted to get, and I love it on her. She pays for it, and we go out to eat. “Why did you buy a dress if we just graduated and prom is already over?”

“I bought it cause I have somewhere I’m going.”

“Where are you gonna go?”

“Well this is a little sudden, but I’m leaving in 2 days for Paris.”

“Oh.” I was so upset because our anniversary is the same day she leaves, and I might not get to give her my gift, and I feel like I’m going to lose her forever. “I gotta go home guys bye.” I say sadly, and Samantha notices.

“Seth, can we talk outside before u leave?”

“Yeah.” We walk outside.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“I’m upset. The day you leave for Paris is something special for me, and I thought it was for you too.”

“Seth, you know our relationship means the most to me. I wanna be here, but I was going there with my dad.”

“I’m gonna go home, I don’t wanna argue tonight. I’ll talk to you tomorrow about this.” I drive home very upset. When I get there, my dad has his fiancee over, and I don’t like it. “Dad, do you not care that mom is gone I mean I know it was a while ago, but this doesn’t feel right to me at all. I don’t like that you’re with a new woman and just forgetting all about someone I thought you cared about, but clearly, you don’t care about my mom at all.”

“Seth, I did care but I need to move on and who are you to talk to me like this, like have you lost your mind? I am your father, and you will show me respect.”

“I don’t have to show you respect father or not I don’t care about you at all cause you’re just trying to put someone into our lives without even talking it over with me first knowing I hate her just like I do you.” I storm up the stairs and go straight to my room feeling like my whole life is just over. I’m hurt that Samantha is leaving and especially the day she is leaving. I love her, and it’s our second anniversary. Then I’m upset that my father has moved on from an essential person in my life. I mean he took down all her pictures and was going to throw them away till I took them for myself and keep them in the drawer in my nightstand. Every night when I’m upset I’ll get them out and stare at them for a while just remembering how much I miss her so much and want her to still be here with me. I loved her so much, and she was one heck of a person, and I remember exactly what happened to her the day she died. My mom and I were going to the store to get things to make homemade cookie dough, and we bought everything and went to the car when someone shot her for no reason. I was so upset, and I thought they were going to shoot me too, but they ran away. I saw my mom die right in front of me, and I was heartbroken. I had the manager of the store drive me home, and I found mom’s recipes and made the dough myself. Reminding myself of that day makes me cry so hard. Next thing I know my phone is buzzing

Samantha: Hey you left your bag from the mall, and I looked in it curiously. Were these gifts for me?

Seth: Yes they were so/ supposed to be for our second anniversary, but you’ll be gone by then sadly.

Samantha: Seth I’m not going to leave if you don’t want me to go. I love you way more than this trip.

Seth: Really?!? You’d give up your trip just for me?

Samantha:Yes. Especially since my dad tricked me, he wanted us to move there together to start new lives since mom left him today.

Kayn: So you're going to stay with me?

Samantha: Yes I couldn’t think of my life without you in it. You’re the best person, and I’m happy that you're in my life. I love you!

Seth: I love you too.

We talked on the phone for at least an hour till I felt like I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore. I’m so happy I found her, and I hope we stay like this forever. I never want to imagine a life without her, and it’s hard for me to imagine life without the love of my life. I have been through so many heartbreaks with girls cheating on me, but I’ve never felt the need to love someone till Samantha and I started dating. She is like my whole world, and I want to spend the rest of my life with this girl. We have been through thick and thin, but losing her would be the worst thing of my life. Samantha is all I have left in my life right now, and I'm happy we have lasted this long as it is.