The Scars of The Past | Teen Ink

The Scars of The Past

By ahernandezcor03, League City, Texas
ahernandezcor03, League City, Texas

Author's note:

This piece is something that happen to me a few months ago, even though it feels like this happened yesterday. I lost the person who I thought was going to be the one for many years. But after two months of our break up, he now has someone else in his arms while I sometimes still crying because of him. Leaving him was one of the most painful decision I ever done in my life, but it was for my own good. He was toxic and controlled me with threats.   

Who wonder that after seeing him for the first time I was willing to take a bullet for him. It all stared December 7, 2016, the first time I texted him. Little did I know he was going to change my whole life for good and bad. The most shocking part about him was that he was always there with me, but we never knew each other. I wasn’t looking for future with him, I wasn’t looking for love. I was just living my life without a purpose.  
Who knew that our love story was going to start with three simple letters. Fast forward to Christmas break. The first time we were going to meet each other. I went to my cousin house, Itzel, well she is basically the sister I never had. Me and her and some of our friends had planned to go to the fair together. But there was something my cousin didn’t tell me. She invited him without notice. So, I walked in her house, then I saw all my friends in the living room, but then I saw this tall guy who I had never seen before. Then that tall figure turned around and it was him. I didn’t know what to do so the first thing that came to my head was to run to the bathroom.  Once I come out of the bathroom and calmed myself, I directly ran to my cousin and said “ITZEL, no me dijiste que el iba a estar aqui” I was just telling her and almost screaming at her for not telling me that he was going to come to the fair with us. But I wasn’t really enraged at her because that was the first time I saw him in person.  
I didn’t know that you could fall in love with someone that quick. That night I couldn’t being my head up because I couldn’t look at him for more than one second. Until my Itzel pushed me to him and forced me to talk to him. I don’t know why but when we were texting, I could talk to him about everything and anything. But in person I couldn’t even say hey or hello because I was so tense. After a few hours it was time for all of us to go home. I didn’t even say bye to him because I was living in La La land that whole time.  
Once I got home, I texted him and I was apologizing for not talking to him that whole night. So to pay him back I invited him to go to the fair. This time I had to talk to him, I didn’t have another choice. A few days pass and it was the day when we were going to go to the fair once again. But the same thing happened. I didn’t talk to him for the first hours but then I got the courage to talk to him and seeing his eyes for the first time. I couldn’t have asked for a better night. That night I realized that I wanted him to be in my life for a long time. It felt like the world was on my feet. But now there was the worst thing about life, time.  
It was my last day before I had to go back home. It was January 7,2017, it was going to be the last day I saw him until summer break. We met each other that night at my cousin's house. Who knew that the day that I thought was going to be the worst and hardest day was going to be the best day in my life. That day was when the both of us became one. He gave me his necklace, something that was part of him. Sadly, I couldn't give him anything in exchanged. Once I got home, I texted him all night until I feel asleep. I wasn’t looking for anyone at the time but I'm so glad I let him in my life. 
Months passed and the day that I never saw coming came. I remember exactly the time and place when this happened. I was at my aunt´s apartment, it was 4:20 pm when I saw a message from him. Once I saw the, message I couldn´t believe my eyes.  He said he didn’t want to be with me anymore. He didn’t want to stay by my side anymore. He said that the distance was too much and that it felt like we weren't actually dating. That day was the worst I have ever felt in such a long time.  
A year passed.  
A year without him.  
Moths passed by and my heart and mind were still talking about him. I try to do everything to forget him but how can you forget the person who made you a better person? If felt as if I lost half of me, and I couldn’t do anything to get that half back. He didn’t love me anymore and he probably broke up with me because he found someone who could be by his side.  

Want to know what is the worst thing that can happen to you when you are heartbroken? Still having to go to the worst place in the entire world, school. Having to wake up every morning with the biggest and most swollen eyes E V E R.  
All my friends tried to make me happy day by day but is not easy to make someone happy when they feel like they are dying every second that pass by. The good thing is that I had my best friend (at the time) in four classes, so she always made me feel better. Then I remember one day after fourth period was done, we always went down the stairs when I saw him.  
My heart stared pounding like it did a year ago. And of course, my best friend noticed the spark in my eyes after I saw him. She told me that his name was Luis and that they had sixth period together.  And I didn't know what was happening with me during that day. Once it was time to go to sixth period, I remember her sending me a video of him and it felt as if I was me again, I didn’t feel like a part of me was missing. I never thought that I could had the same feeling for someone else other than Alberto, but I was proven wrong.  But I told myself that I would never have any type of relationship with him, I was going to be invisible to him.  
A few days passed by and once I got home, I notice that someone added me and Snapchat. I couldn't believe my eyes. Someone with the name of Luis Santiago Bustos added me. Right away I texted my best friend and told her if that was the same Luis I was in love with, and she told me it was. I didn’t know what to do so I just didn’t text him because I had never talked to him or anything, I have always seen him from afar, but I have never introduced myself to him or anything. The next day was when I realized that my fourth period class was his fifth period class, that was the reason why I would always see him on the stairs.  
Even though I meet Luis, my heart was still Alberto´s. There wasn’t a day I wouldn’t think about him and how he probably had someone else in his arms. What I felt for Alberto had never happened to me with anyone, so I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. But I was trying to keep in mind that I had Luis and that maybe we were after all going to have some type of relationship, either as friends or more than that.  
December 8, 2018 was when I was going to actually going to talk and meet Luis for the first time. Our sixth period classes were close to each other so we both agreed that we would meet where his sixth period class was (I had always passed by his class either way.)  And that day was going to be more special than it already was. I say that it was going to become more special because that exact day was when it snowed in Texas after years. (So I always say that it was a magical day.)  I still remember the exact outfit he was wearing. I don’t know why but the thing I remembered more is the beanie and his little lunch box.  
A few months passed by and I lost two important people, I lost my best friend and I lost Luis as well. He told me that he was going to go back to Venezuela, and he didn’t know for how long. I lost my best friend and our friendships wasn’t the same after that day. I truly felt like my life was going downhill. I didn’t want to do anything. I didn't have motivation to do anything.  And then the feeling came back. I felt like someone destroyed me into little pieces. During this time, I didn’t feel like going to school because I knew I was going to see my ex best friend and I knew that I wasn’t ever going to see Luis Santiago Bustos again. He was the only hope that I had for my heart, but now it had to start from the bottom once again.  
By time passed by me and my ex friend became closer again, but our relationship was not the same as the beginning. We became really good friends, but our label wasn’t best friend anymore. But then I saw that she was becoming more distance from me. She meets this guy and then she stared sitting with him at lunch, so I was alone was again. Luckily, I had my other friend, Paola, and her older sister sat with me. But then Vy became friends with her boyfriend´s best friend and now she barely talk to me. Vy and her new best friend and I had fourth period together, and before I used to sit with Vy but now she sat next to Jada, her new best friend. And I sat in front of them and I will always listen to them laughing and talking and I was just by myself. The last few months of school were one of the worst in my entire life. I was just counting the days for summer to come, because I knew I was going to go back to Mexico and see my dad and cousins once again.  
Finally, it was May 31, 2018. The last day of freshman year. I was sooooo done with this school year and I was glad I wasn’t going to be in fourth period with Vy and her best friend. And you know usually we don’t do anything the last day of school but if I remembered correctly, the last week of school we had finals, so we had to take test that whole week, which was not fun at all. But then 2:30 hit and I was free. But before I went home, I looked for my friends because I wanted to take a picture with as many as possible. After I was done taking photos my mom finally picked me up and it was time to pack our suit case to go to Mexico. I was so trilled of going but then I remember one thing... I was going to see him once again... I was going to see Jesus Alberto Juarez Galvan this whole summer.  

It was already summer break, and I was waiting for this day for moths. After everything that happened in the school year. But I was more excited because my quinceañera was coming very soon AND my best friend who is originally from Puerto Rico but lives in California was going to come all the way to Mexico for my party. Since I left California, I lost connections with most of my friends, so I was feeling very excited that I was going to see her after so long.  
Usually every quinceañera practices her waltz months before, me on the other had I only had ONE MONTH. And I am not Flash, I didn’t know how I was going to learn nine or more dances in less than a month!!! But I love dancing, so I was less nervous. But every quinceañera (well not all but like 99.98% of the time, every quinceañera has chambelanes with her.) One guess who was going to be one pf my chambelanes? Yep, you guessed it right, the chambelan is Jesus Alberto. And as you may know already, I still had some type of feeling for him. But I was for sure that he completely forgot about me.  
July 1,2018 was the day I saw Micielle Amaris Montejano Rivera after a whole year. One of the best days in my life. And also there was only six days until the big day. Also, it was going to be the first time my best friend was going to meet Alberto for the first time, and I didn’t know how to feel about that. The next day we had practice and it was going to be the first time Mici was going to see my dances. But I saw something about her that I never seen in her before. She had this look that I knew exactly what it was. She looked as if the world had fallen on her feet, as if she met the love of her life, as if the world was only between her and him. They guy she was checking out was my cousin Yonadad, and I never saw her like that, so I was happy for her.  
After practice that’s is when I had to introduced Mici to all my chambelanes. Usually quinceañeras have around six or more chambelanes, but me, I only had four. It was my brother Alex, Alberto, my cousin Yonadad and one of my childhood friends. So I did that and everything went well, but Mici saw that Alberto was like trying to stay away from me or something like that. And I would always try to talk to him after we were done dancing, but he directly went to the car, so we never talked. And I couldn’t forget him because I would see him three or four times a week, so trying to ignore him or forget him was not easy at all.  
Fast forward to today, February 17,2019, today Alberto and my cousin Daniela are celebrating two months of dating. Yesterday I saw Luis Santiago Bustos after a whole year. My crush or ex crush, Bryan, I guess you can say supposedly he is in a fake relationship with a co-worker. And once again it is only Me, Myself and I. I know I should be feeling depress but I just hope that during this time I can find who I am as a person and improve in all the areas that need improvement. I just hope that during this time I find the happiness within me, cause no guy or anyone is going to give it to me.