Finding Cali | Teen Ink

Finding Cali

May 24, 2018
By AlexMeade, Franklin, Wisconsin
More by this author
AlexMeade, Franklin, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"More is never enough."


Author's note:

This piece is inspired by movies such as Moonlight and Call me by Your Name. The ending for the play is actually one of the lines from the ending of Moonlight

Characters: Alec, Austin, Danielle (Alec's Mother), Kylie, Jeremy, Mr. Myers, Tyler. 

Alec and Austin, both past friends in high school, are now separated by the entirety of the United States. Alec struggles with his sexuality as he determines whether or not to use money to go to California or stay where he is, in Illinois.

This is his story.

So far.

ACT I

Dim lighting as to indicate a scene of clarity and darkness.

Alec sits at his desk, wearing long and dark clothes, waiting patiently for something.

He pulls out his phone, texting shortly and then putting his phone down, hesitant to pick it back up as he sighs deeply.

His mother, Danielle, walks in the room. She’s a taller woman with aged eyes, her blouse is a sky blue, matching her jeans and her shoes.

Danielle: Alec, you need anything?

Alec shakes his head, crossing his arms as if he’s cold.

Alec: Maybe a warmer life.

Danielle walks over to him, sitting slightly on the desk table.

Danielle: Warm? You got that here.

Alec: I don’t know. I want to go somewhere.

Danielle sighs.

Danielle: You got to tell me what’s going on.

Alec doesn’t say anything, remaining in a blank stare.

Danielle: Is it Austin?

Alec: No, it’s about two in the afternoon.

Danielle chuckles slightly.

Danielle: Austin. Who went to California.

Alec: Haven’t thought about her in years.

Danielle nods.

Danielle: Lemme know when you need something, dear.

Alec nods.

Alec: I don’t want to talk about Austin anymore. She’s gone, and that’s it. There isn’t a thing we can do about it.

Danielle: You gotta snap out of this--

Alec: I loved her.

Tears flood his eyes.

Alec: You know how much that means to me?

Danielle doesn’t say anything, but looks at him with worry and concern.

Alec: All my life, I’ve never loved anyone as much as her. But here I am, stuck. Frozen. I want to be with him--her again. Warm. Hot. Not cold.

Danielle: This is why your grades are dropping...

Alec: Get out. Clearly you don’t understand, Mom.

Danielle: I don’t understand?

Alec: Yeah. Because there are a lot better things for me to be worrying about then homework and useless core classes that have nothing to do with what I want!

Danielle scoffs.

Danielle: Well doing that rather than worrying about some girl might do you some good!

Alec stands up.

Danielle grabs him by the front of his shirt.

Danielle: You know, our other son isn’t like this. He takes it as it comes. You wanna sit here and cry over her? Do that--

Alec: Do you have any emotion in that husk of a body?

She drops him onto the chair.

Danielle: You are my biggest failure, son. I can’t bear it.

Danielle storms out and slams the door.

Alec sits there, looking down. He shuts his eyes for a second.

Alec: It’s okay.

He breathes deeply.

Alec: I’m there, Austin. I’m there with you. Please, wait for me.

SCENE

2 DAYS LATER

Alec is at the lunch table with some friends, who just seem to surround him and not notice him or his worth.

Alec sits there, surrounded by Jeremy, Kylie, and Tyler.

Alec patiently stares towards the other side of the lunchroom, a blank and depressed expression on his face.

Tyler: Ugh, do you guys know what’s for lunch today?

Jeremy shakes his head.

Kylie: Think they got the biscuits and soup.

Tyler: How do those two even go together?

Jeremy: Think they’re on a budget.

Kylie: You ever think with the amount of money they’ve raised, there might be some more, I don’t know, interesting lunch opportunities?

Tyler: Thank Michelle Obama for that, with that damn reform. Now we’re stuck with prison food.

Jeremy: I second that.

Kylie: You alright, Alec?

Alec, in a moment of stasis, finally shoots his head back up.

Alec: What?

Kylie: You okay?

Alec: I’m fine.

Kylie: Okay.

Kylie and him exchange a look for a second, and then they all resume talking.

Jeremy: You know prisons probably actually have way better food?

Tyler: That’s cuz they don’t get any reforms.

Jeremy: What do you mean, reforms?

Tyler: You know, no one gives a s*** about the prisons, they just worry about the youth.

Jeremy: Still though, prison food is not something to have on a daily meal.

They all shudder into silence as Alec stands and walks away, exiting the cafeteria.

SCENE

For the next scene, Alec is in his counselor’s office, where he waits, and stares, for numerous seconds.

Mr. Myers: So, what’s been going on?

Alec looks up at him.

Alec: I don’t even know why I came here.

Mr. Myers: Depends. Why did you request it?

Alec: I don’t know. Guess we don’t have enough money for a therapist, so we settled for this.

Mr. Myers: I see.

Alec: All my life, I’ve been chasing things. Women, g--

He stops speaking for a second and looks over at him.

Alec: Do you mind if I tell you something and make you promise not to tell anyone?

Mr. Myers: Unless you want me to tell someone else, I cannot disclose what we say in here. In the case of an emergency or a story in which someone is hurt, I am supposed to technically contact the authorities.

Alec: Okay, I’ll take it.

Alec sighs and leans back more.

Alec: I--I am in love with a guy. Someone over in California.

Mr. Myers: I see.

Alec: Yeah.

Mr. Myers: How does that make you feel? Do you perhaps struggle with that in any way?

Alec: Well, yeah. He’s all the way over in California, and plus he’s male. No one else knows it but me, and him.

Mr. Myers: Why not tell anyone? Your Mom? Father?

Alec: My father’s dead. And my mother, well, she already thinks I’m a disgrace, so I would love for someone to bring the topic of homosexuality to her, see how it fits.

Mr. Myers: You don’t have to be ashamed.

Alec: That’s where you’re wrong. I wake up ashamed every day.

Alec sighs, holding back tears.

Alec: Jesus, can’t believe I’m telling you all of this.

Mr. Myers: It’s on your mind.

Alec: Yeah. It’s sure feeling like more than that.

Mr. Myers: Well sometimes we as humans need to learn to evolve to what grows around us. There may be the same feeling coming from him, but there may not be. You may go over there in the future, he may come here, or nothing may happen. Sometimes we need to prep for these things.

Alec: Yeah. That’s the worst part of it.

Mr. Myers: But the first step is not being afraid. Own the feelings you have, Alec. Once other people know, they’ll know how hard it must’ve been and how brave you are for sharing it.

Alec: Okay. Thank you, Myers.

Mr. Myers: No problem. Always happy to help.

Mr. Myers and Alec shake hands.

Alec then leaves the room.

ACT II

Alec types on his computer in his room.

Danielle then walks in.

Danielle: Alec?

Alec stops typing, sighing and turning towards her.

Alec: Yes?

Danielle closes the door gently, rubbing her hands and smiling nervously.

Danielle: I--I just wanted to come in to say that there was no excuse for my behavior.

Alec: I know. There wasn’t.

Danielle: I apologize. You know you can come to me for anything.

Alec: I could’ve come to Dad.

Danielle sighs.

Danielle: Trust me, when you have a child, you’ll understand. You’ll know how hard it is. Your gonna want to make your child feel safe no matter what, even if it hurts them a little.

Alec: Yeah, don’t I feel hurt.

Danielle: I am sorry. Sorry for Dawn.

Danielle begins leaving and reaches the door.

Alec: It’s Austin.

Danielle spins around.

Danielle: What?

Alec: His name. It’s Austin. In California.

She walks over to him and scoffs.

Danielle: What?

Alec: It’s a man I love.

Danielle: You’re f***ing poison, Alec.

She doesn’t say a word, leaving the room.

Alec sighs and shuts his laptop forcefully.

SCENE

Alec meets with Kylie at lunch later.

Kylie: Hey, Alec.

Alec sits down.

Alec: Hey.

Kylie: You feeling better?

Alec: Yeah, where’s everyone else?

Kylie: Gone, it looks like. I think sports regionals are today.

Alec: Mm.

Silence goes by for about seven seconds.

Kylie *whispering*: You thinking about him?

Alec looks up at her, speaking in his normal voice.

Alec: I think about Austin everyday. And you don’t need to whisper.

Kylie: How’re you doing with that?

Alec: I told my Mom. She thinks I’m a disappointment.

Kylie: It’s what you want. Nothing is wrong with that.

Alec: What about what everyone else thinks?

Kylie: Don’t care about what everyone else thinks.

Alec: Well what if I want a kid? Hm? I can’t have one with the person that I love!

Kylie: Keep your voice down.

Alec: You see, you don’t understand, if I don’t have a kid, the Garcia name ends, that’s it!

Kylie: You cold adopt or something! I don’t know!

Alec: Oh yeah, some random kid with cheeky eyes called Garcia, he’d get his ass beat everyday!

Kylie: I don’t know why you’re so bent outta shape, Alec. This is so not like you.

Alec: Like you know one of the first miniscule things about me. I know that my mother thinks I’m a failure because I can’t keep her family name! I’m done for, D-O-N-E!

Alec storms and leaves the lunchroom.

SCENE

Alec sits at his desk, doing nothing again.

Lighting is dimmed, desk has a laptop on it.

His phone vibrates multiple times.

Alec is startled, looking over at his phone.

Alec picks up his phone, holding it gently.

He then answers it.

Alec: Hello?

Austin: Hey.

Alec: Hey, Austin.

Austin is shown next to him, but he’s in California, resting against the wall.

Austin: How are you doing, man?

Alec: Uh, I’m... I don’t know how to answer that.

Austin: Heh, same man. Been rough since I moved here.

Alec: Yeah, I bet.

Austin: Well, Alec, uh, I was calling you because I was wondering if you, uh, might, I don’t know, wanna come down here with me and my girl?

Alec: Girl?

Austin: Yeah, she’s outta town, and I just-- wanted to see you.

Alec: Sure, fine. I can probably be on my way, uh, soon.

Austin laughs.

Austin: Damn, right now?

Alec: Or, tomorrow, or something. I don’t know. I might have to think about it.

Austin: Alright, man. See you soon?

Alec: Sure.

Austin: Bye bye.

Alec: Bye.

They hang up their phones.

Alec sighs deeply, rubbing the back of his head gently.

SCENE

Alec meets with Mr. Myers again.

Mr. Myers: So, we meet again huh?

Alec: Yeah. Just wanted some advice before I leave.

Mr. Myers: Leave? Where to?

Alec: California. That’s the point. I don’t even know if I should go. Austin called me, told me to come down with him for some reason.

Mr. Myers: Well, if you want to follow your heart, you’ll go there. I know that’s kind of a cliche, but--

Alec: Does he even love me anymore? I don’t even know. He said he had a girl over there, girlfriend.

Alec sighs.

Alec: I--I don’t know.

Mr. Myers: As much as you love him, what’s there for you here?

Alec: What do you mean?

Mr. Myers: Normally we, as counselors, are not in the custom of telling students certain truths. I am not such a counselor. Right now, you’re feeling a lot. There’s a lot there. This moment, in your life, no matter what people say, no matter what they’ve said, we’re here on allotted time. We’re running out. If you can spend the rest of it being happy, then it stands the test of time, and nothing else matters.

Alec nods solemnly.

Alec: I want to go there, then.

Mr. Myers: Good.

Alec: Thank you so much, again.

Mr. Myers: Remember, you can call my office if you need anything.

Alec: Okay, thanks.

Mr. Myers: You bet. Good luck over there.

SCENE

ACT III

Danielle is sitting at the kitchen table, resting her head.

Alec walks up behind her.

Alec: Mom? Mom?

Danielle: My name’s Danielle, goddammit. I ain’t no mother to you.

Alec: C’mon, you gotta stop this.

Danielle: Why? Cuz my only son wants to be gay?

Alec: What does that even matter?

Danielle leans back down.

Alec sighs deeply.

Alec: I’m taking my money and my car over to California.

Danielle: That’s across the freaking country.

Alec: I’m going to see my love.

Danielle: You know, that man will break your heart. No room for gays anymore.

Alec: Yeah, I’m sorry, hold that thought--

Danielle: So am I!

She sits back up again, staring at him as he freezes in the doorway, looking at her.

Danielle: You know, some days I wish I never had you. Maybe then I wouldn’t raise a thing, not even a person. A bottomless hole, dedicated to ruining the family name. You know what you’re doing? With the other one of my sons clipped down there, he’s got nothing. You were my ace in the hole. Now I got no grandkids left. The name dies with you two.

Alec stands there, shaking his head lightly.

Alec: I don’t know why I came here.

Danielle: Yeah, you do.

SCENE

At the lunch table, Jeremy, Tyler, and Kylie are there with Alec.

Jeremy: Alec, hanging in there?

Alec: Yeah. Had to get my chromebook repaired.

Tyler: Oof, how’d it make it?

Alec: They sent me an even more broken version.

They chuckle at the table lightly.

Alec: You know I’m going to California for the next few days?

Kylie shoots a look at him and locks her eyes.

Tyler: Oh, that’s awesome.

Jeremy: Sweet, vacay?

Alec: Yep. Need to get away for awhile, you won’t believe, after a little getaway, how clearly you see things. You know?

Tyler: Good for you.

Jeremy: Amen to that.

They both chuckle. Kylie turns away.

When Tyler and Jeremy stand and leave. Kylie stays with Alec. 

Kylie: What are you doing?

Alec: Following my heart, for once.

Kylie: Well you seemed pretty upset about not living on your family name.

Alec: The desire of me being with him is burning. It’s nearly made a hole inside of me, burning the inside of my skin. I need him, Kylie. It’s a love you don’t understand.

Kylie sighs.

Kylie: It’s true. I don’t. But I don’t think you do either.

Alec: But it’s worth chasing.

Kylie: You don’t know that, Alec.

Alec: Just--believe in me, I know what’s good for me.

Kylie sighs.

Kylie: Okay, Alec.

Alec gets up and begins walking away.

Kylie: Wait, where are you going?

Alec stops and turns to her, his mouth open, vocal chords atwitter.

Alec: I--I don’t know.

He exits the lunchroom, leaving Kylie there as Tyler and Jeremy return.

Tyler: Where’s Alec?

SCENE

THREE DAYS LATER

In California, Alec knocks on the door of Austin, who’s now revealed.

Austin puts down his book and walks over to the door, the lighting bright and his clothes also brighter than normal.

Alec is in a T-shirt and shorts as Austin opens the door.

Alec: Hey, Austin.

Austin: Oh, hey, Alec. I’m so glad you could make it. Darlene’s still gone.

He shuts the door as he makes Alec feel welcome in his home.

Alec: Wow. Nice place you got for yourself.

Austin sits down, looking at him. Alec leans on the table.

Alec: It’s nice over here, little too hot.

Austin: Now that’s why people don’t wonder why I spend so much money on air conditioning.

Alec: Got enough money to afford it, huh?

Austin: What counts, at least.

Alec: I missed you.

Austin: Yeah, me too, man.

Austin walks over to his shelf, looking for some books.

Austin: Something I want you to read.

Alec stands there, no longer leaning on the table.

Austin turns around to see Alec’s very serious face.

Austin: What?

Alec: Why did you call me?

Austin: W-what do you mean?

Alec: Why did you call me? Here?

Austin: Look, I haven’t seen in you in forever, man. Thought it would be nice just to, I don’t know.

Austin walks over and puts the book back.

Alec hesitates, but ultimately begins speaking.

Alec: You’re the only man that’s ever touched me. The only one. And I’ve never touched anyone else.

Austin gives him a serious look.

Austin sits down. Alec walks over to him and kneels, holding Austin’s chin.

Austin: I’m--I’m sorry, man. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there.

Alec has a tear fall from his face.

Alec leans forward near his lap and takes his hands away, sobbing gently.

Austin rubs his head gently.


Alec: I love you, man. You hear me? I--I love you.

Austin looks down at him, then up to the sky.

Austin: I love you too.

They continue in an embrace.

THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.