All Seven Years | Teen Ink

All Seven Years

By Rilessss16 BRONZE, San Diego, California
Rilessss16 BRONZE, San Diego, California

Do small things with great love.

She stood on that that alter looking at his crystal blue eyes, fighting back all the tears. He looked so handsome in his little black tux. He saw her staring and tried to fix his tie but it was laughable how messy it was. Never could do his own tie. She quickly scanned the church, decked out in white, and found her mother. The woman grinned from the wooden pew and held up her tissues. Even though the church had been remodeled since she’d been home she couldn't help seeing the little old church we’d grown up in. It’d been 20 years since she’d first sat in those pews fantasizing about getting married there one day. She looked back at him as his best friend patted his shoulder and smiled, the priest said something but her mind was moving in slow motion. Everybody looked with tears eyes as the boy in the black tux said “I do.” The girl took a shaky breath in.

A little girl wearing a plaid dress over a white polo sat alone on a metal lunch bench watching her feet dangle, so far from the ground. She was trying to figure out how long it would be until her mom would pick her up from daycare, its been about 10 minutes, she thought, and mom said it was an hour long meeting. But how long is an hour? She was trying to remember where the nearest clock was when something interrupted her thoughts.
“Sophie!” someone called, “Hey!” A little boy was running toward her at full speed. His polo was covered in dirt, and so was the rest of him. His knees were all scraped up and his grin exposed at least 3 missing teeth.
He pushed his ratty brown hair out his face, “Hey Soph, do you wanna play? Alec just left and I thought there was no one else from our class but you’re here so c’mon let’s go play on the computers!” He grabbed her hand and pulled her up.
“Sorry Chase, but my mommy’s gonna be here any minute now.” She crossed her arms.
“That’s a lie! You say that every time you’re in daycare. School ended 30 minutes ago and I heard your mama tell Coach she’d be an hour.” He crossed his arms in a matter of factly type of way. “Can you please come play with me? No one else can understand me.”
Sophie remembered her mom telling her why Chase’s speaking wasn't like everyone else, something called a speech demependement. Mama had told her not to make fun of him and never to ask why he always got to go into her room during reading time.
“Alright, but I don't know the password.” She shrugged.
“I heard one of the big kids say it yesterday, its Mississippi. I learned how to spell it last night.” They ran across the basketball courts into the computer room and he sped up to get a seat right in front of the keyboard. She pulled a seat next to him and looked at the screen.
“M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I” He spelled aloud, “See, I told you I could spell it.” He said proudly. “Let’s play Age of Empires!”
“No, no click on that game.” She pointed to a game on the monitor.
About an hour later Coach popped his head into the room, “Sophie your mom’s outside!”
She hopped down from her chair onto the ugly blue carpet. “Bye Chase. I have to go now.”
“My mom won’t be here until 5:30.” He sighed and then immediately perked up, “Hey, wanna have a play date?”
“Sure! Let’s go ask my mama.” They grabbed their backpacks and Chase followed Sophie’s light up Sketchers outside to find Sophie’s mom talking to another lady. “Momma!” Sophie ran up to her and wrapped her arms around her waist. “Can Chase come over?”
Her mom quickly looked the little boy up and down. His big blue eyes were looking up at her hopefully. “Oh sweetie, I don’t think so. It’s a school night and I’m sure Chase’s mom will be here soon.” She said.
“Oh trust me, she won’t be here for a while.” He smiled, “She works late a lotta the time.”

“It’s bullshit, you know that right?”
Sophie rolled her eyes, he thought his opinion was pure fact, has ever since we were kids, she thought. She wasn’t really listening to him, just watching him scramble to find a sentence sophisticated enough to intimidate her into agreeing with him.
Blue was a good color on him, only navy though, he had the type of crystal blue eyes that only really stuck out when he wore dark colors. He was playing the bottom of his t shirt when she noticed how much lacrosse had helped his now built arms, it was almost laughable how much he’d grown in the last year. As he talked himself in circles she wandered away into her own thoughts: he was attractive, no doubt it, very smart, and witty. My inner Nicholas Sparks wanted me to say “He was this, he was that, he’s mine.” but no, that was weird. We’ve been friends since second grade, I could tell him anything, our parents are friends, we broke our first bones together, had our first kiss with each other, he was my first slow dance and gave me my first rose. Everything adds up to us dating forever, eventually getting married and being able to tell our kids how in fourth grade mommy punched daddy he was teasing her about wearing mismatching socks, which would usually be her dream but lately it’d been like they were in two different dimensions and only she noticed. By this time Sophie had totally drifted and knew he was waiting for a response. Okay, just go with why he’s wrong, she thought.
“See, that’s where you’re wrong, it may seem like that on the surface but don't worry Chase,” She smiled when using his first name, “it’s not your fault your shallow underdeveloped brain can’t appreciate Catcher in the Rye. I cant believe you’re just now reading it, your fifteen! I read it when I was like 10.” She smirked, knowing her smile killed him into forgetting whatever we were talking about in the first place. It worked. She loved arguing with him because no matter the topic she always won. He started walking over to the couch. He put his arm around her and smiled, it wasn't his smile though, it was his new cool conceited boyfriend smile. She wanted him more than anything to look into my eyes and say “Hey Soph let’s go tp some kids house like the old days.” or “Let’s just get in the car with a bucket of ice cream and drive in circles blasting High School Music.” Instead he said something about the ONE time she happened to ask him for his editing skills. We couldn't do any of those things anymore, things were so different now.
“Whatever,” Sophie smiled, “I have to go now, Chloe’s out front but this conversation is so not over.” She got up and pecked his cheek, besides his efforts to pull her back down.
“Tell her I say hi and that I’m sooo hyped for the concert.” He said, squeezing her hand and finally letting go.
As Sophie was walking out his door she passed an old picture on the beach sticking our tongues out, right after 7th grade. He was wearing bright red gym shorts and an orange Broncos jersey, which he wore almost every day that summer. Sophie was on his back in an ugly ass Justice T shirt covered in sand. She missed that day, being 12 and running around the beach with my best friend not giving a s*** what anyone else thought. She missed the old him, the one who didn't have to pretend to be some big tough guy all the time. He saw her linger by the picture and read her mind. He grabbed her hand and pulled her back to him,
“Hey,” He squished her cheeks with his hand, “I love you.” He may be acting a little different recently, but no one could take away his ability to say exactly what she need to hear at exactly the right time.
“I love you too.” She knew this whole thing would pass, she had faith it would, but lately it’d been kinda hard to believe in anything.
She walked out of his house and hopped into the gray Toyota sitting outside.
“Hey Soph whats up with my boy?” Chlo greeted me, “Still doing the whole cool guy thing, huh?”
She nodded.
“Hey listen babe it’ll be fine, he’s just changing from scrawny little punk to a big boy. He’ll be back to normal by the end of the lacrosse season. I know exactly what you mean though, starting on varsity soccer turned Nate into a c***y little s***, remember that? He was fine after the season ended and he wasn't the school hero anymore. Now I’ve got baseball to worry about though. You know they're basically guaranteed to go to the championship game right? Do you know what happens at the championship game? Girls practically throw themselves at him anyway, but last year a bunch of players got caught in a hotel room smoking with a bunch of cheerleaders from the other school! I’d cut a b**** if I ever found Nate in a hotel room with some shallow cheerleader slut. Honestly. Anyway, where to? I know you’re all stressed out with your parents and all that so I thought we’d have a little girls night and you can crash at my house, okay? I also had a little chat with that little sister of yours, and her and Hailey are gonna come too.”
“Ugh yes that sounds amazing. Thanks Chlo I really owe you.”
“Are you kidding me? How many times have you dug me out of my sadness?”
Soph laughed, “But seriously I’m so lucky to have you. I don’t know, I just thought Chase was gonna make me feel better, but he wasn't acting like himself.”
“I’m sorry babe…And I know you don’t want to talk about it, but I really am sorry about everything. I know how much that internship meant to you, and don’t worry about next year, I’m sure you will be able to stay. Whatever you need me to do, Im here for you.”
“Chlo, you’re doing exactly what I need, and I love you for it.”

“Don’t you dare walk away from me!” She yelled.
“Why? It’s what you do, just walk away when things get hard.” He countered, throwing his arms up in the air.
“You are NOT allowed to make this about me, YOU are the only that changed! Don't pretend you haven't Chase, you’re not the same person you were.” Tears had started to well up in her eyes. His name sounded weird in her mouth like this. The thing about them fighting was, they didn’t.
“Okay, so I’ve changed? We’re growing up Sophia, people change! It’s not like you haven't either, you don't even look at me anymore!”
“I can’t look at you because the boy I knew never would've done this.”
“Here we go again! How many times have I told you I’m sorry! I can’t believe you right now! If we could just talk about this instead of you always judging me maybe we’d actually get somewhere, but god forbid we actually talk!” He was yelling now, scaring her to tears.
“You’re not the boy I fell in love with anymore.” Her voice cracked. They both stopped. She knew what she had just said, and although she didn't mean it, she didn't care. In that moment she just wanted to stop. Stop feeling the pain and constant worry that accompained their relationship now. She wanted to go to sleep at night without the fear of having this fight, saying those words, and having it end this way.
“Well then, okay. If thats how you feel then maybe we should rethink being together.” He said it with the most hurt he had ever felt. She could see the pain in his eyes and it killed her, but she couldn't bring herself to open her mouth. She stood motionless as she watched him gather his things. He stood in the doorway for a minute, trying to come up with something, anything to say, but he couldn’t. He walked out the door and didn't look back.
The next two weeks were a blur for them both as they avoided each other at all cost but didn't spend a second thinking of anything else. Chloe tried everything to get one of them to tell her what happened, but they both keep quiet about it.
On day 17 of their silence Mason stood at his locker in the crowded hallway trying to get her off his back when Chloe decided to try a different approach, “Look Chase, I know you had a fight, and I know I don't know what happened, but I do know that there’s nothing you could've said that could stop her from loving you!” Her voice was filled with supportive enthusiasm but Mason wouldn't give her anything but an annoyed glance.
“She doesn't love me anymore Chloe. She doesn't want me back and were done talking about this.” Mason stared into his locker as he said it, and before she got the chance to respond he slammed the locker door and was lost in the crowd. He walked for a while, pushing and shoving agaisnt the tidal wave of students when he heard Chloe’s voice again.
“Chase!” She screamed over the roar of talking and laughter. He sighed and turned around.
“I don’t know what the hell happened that night, but I don’t care, because you love her, and when you love someone you keep fighting.”
Three days past. Then four, then five. When the weekend came Mason sat in his room with zero motivation to see anyone. That is, expect her. He was searching through his desk in attempt to find his lucky blue pen when the frustration and anger of the past few weeks got to him. He slammed the drawer shot, breaking it off its slider completely. It fell onto the floor and he dropped from his chair with it. Laying next to it was the bracelet Sophie had gotten him on her trip to Rome. It had a tiny little cross on it latching the sides to each other. The sight of it triggered something inside of him and, he started laughing. Not at the fact that something like this would totally happen in a movie where the boy sees something reminding him how much  he loved his girl, and this would cause him to take initiative and go win her back(although that was funny too). But he laughed because he has been trying to find that stupid for thing for about 4 months, and when he had told Sophie he lost it, she laughed because she had lost her matching one as well. She went on to say how nervous she was to tell him because she had gotten them at the vatican and blessed by the pope and the storeowner had said it was supposed to symbolize love and bring good fortune to a relationship. And then she had said that guy was probably lying anyway because they had both lost theirs and they were still happy and then she had proceeded to kiss him but couldn't because she was giggling too much which made him giggle and then they just sat together for a while, and they laughed. Contrary to every rom com ever made remembering this did not rise in him the sudden urge to stand outside her house holding a boombox, or knock at her door with a succession of signs professing his love. It made him want nothing more than to see her and show her and laugh with her.
Before he knew what he was doing he found himself standing on her porch debating whether to knock or not. He had stopped for an apology gift and decided on chocolates over flowers since she was probably working out way too much. She ran when she was stressed. After a few minutes he finally mustered up the courage to raise his arm, but just in time the door opened. Sophie’s little brother stood in the doorway looking at his phone dressed in his football practice uniform. He looked up and seemed surprised to find Mason on his porch.
“What’s up bro!” He grabbed the hand free of chocolates and pulled him down for a guy hug. Mason  forgot about his nerves for a minute and smiled at the sight of his favorite 12 year old.
“Jake! You on your way to practice?” Mason asked.
“Yeah! I’m a starter now, you gotta come to one of my games dude! I’ll text you next time we play at the high school.” He looked at the chocolates. “You are one smart dude. Soph’s been PMSing for like a month now. Pretty sure she's up there crying now, but seeing you will make her feel better. Anyway, looks like my ride’s here. Say hi to your sister for me!” He patted Mason on the shoulder and trotted toward the car in the driveway. Mason laughed and let him self through the unusually clean home and up the stairs. He hesitated in front of her door, PMSing? Sophie hadn't told her family about the fight, he realized. Why wouldn’t she tell them about it? He’d told just about all 400 members of his huge family because he was desperate for advice. Suddenly there were muffled crying sounds coming from the other side. Chase’s heart dropped and immadiately opened up to find Sophie sitting on her bed in sweats and an old Led Zeppelin shirt bawling her eyes out. She didn't even notice him at first, she had one headphone in her ear and he could hear the piano music turned up as loud as it could go. Once she did see him though, she hardly made an effort to stop crying, in fact she actually put her finger up in the air as to say, “hold on a minute”. Mason  was taken aback but before he got chance to speak his mind she cut him off.
“Sorry,” She said, closing her laptop and using the sides of her fingers to wipe the wet mascara from under her eyes, “I was watching The Vow. What’s up?” She said it casually, not at all as if they hadn't spoken in over two weeks after their worst and only fight.
Mason stood speechless. He wanted to say ‘What’s up?! We haven't talked in 18 days and all you have to say is whats up!’ but all he could muster was “Why didn’t you tell your family we we’re fighting?”
More tears started to well up in her eyes and this time they weren’t because of the movie. “Because I knew you were coming back.”
“How?”
 “Because I know you Chase, you would never leave things like that with me.”
“You totally avoided me for like a month!”
“Just letting that big head of yours cool down.” She couldn't help but smiling.
“You are unbelievable.” He said, crossing his arms and pretending to shake his head in frustration to conceal his smile. Mason then hopped onto the bed next to her, “So, we gonna finish this movie or…?”

As the credits rolled Sophie tried to wake a sleeping Mason by pushing him off of her chest.  “Mason why are you so tired, you passed out like two seconds in?”
He sat up and wiped his eyes groggily. “I haven't had a full nights sleep since our fight.”
“Jeez I really did a number on you didn't I?” She said laughing but also thinking about how she hadn't gotten any sleep either. She’d played it cool before but there had been nothing easy going about waiting for him to come. Even though she knew he would come around, she hardly got out of bed the whole time. Mascara wasn't even a question either, Soph knew she wouldn't last a minute without crying it off.
Mason laid his head back down on her lap and squeezed her hand, “Lets go get breakfast for dinner!” He said excitedly.
“I’m down.” Sophie started to play with his curly dark hair that had gotten much lighter from the summer sun. She loved to twirl he fingers around his curls even though he hated the feeling.
“Hey cut it out!” He said pushing her hand away from his hair and flipping around to face her. “Hey Soph.”
“Hey Chase.”
“I love you.”
“That’s a coincidence because I love you too!”
She watched his cheeks turn pink from embarrassment and he covered his face with his hands. Sophie smile pushed both his hands back and kissed him. It wasn't a long kiss, just the right amount of time before her neck snapped from bending at such an awkward angle.
“Waffles?” He said with a smile.
“Waffles.”

The cheers of the crowd were ear deafening in the front row, but we were seniors, we had earned the right to sit there, and even though our heads were pounding from all the noise, no one would admit it. This was the most important game of the season, win this and the boys would be in the state finals. Chase didn’t play much but, when he did she could see how happy it made him. His eyes would light up and he wouldn't stop talking about the time he hit someone so hard the stick flew out of the guys hands and he dove for the ball and shot it into the goal. It got more and more intense every time he told it, I bet after this game he’ll say there was 10 seconds left in the game rather than 20. One of the spirit leader guys ran down to the front of the bleachers during half time. He started waving his arms up in the air and yelling our school chant.
“LETS GO KNIGHTS!” He attempted to scream over all the noise.
“LETS GO KNIGHTS!” The student section yelled in reply. The girl smiled. Meanwhile, the team huddled around the coach down on the field. Chase had his helmet off, nodding in agreement with the yelling coach. His stick was balanced on his hemet and it was two centimeters away from smacking Nate in face. Nate saw it and put the net over Chase’s ear playfully. The ref blew the whistle and the team headed out in their positions. Chase and Nate did their pregame handshake and Nate ran out on the field, but before he put his helmet on he looked over at the crowd, pointed at Chloe and winked. The girls around us went “AWWW”, making her blush and clutch onto the necklace he had given her.
“HEY!” Sophie screamed at Chloe, “CHASE’S ON THE BENCH, WANT SOME FOOD?” She nodded and they stepped over the crowd to get to the aisle. “Hey Sam! Can you text me if they put Chase in? We’re going to get food. Want anything?” Sophie asked the younger boy squished in by the stairs as she climbed over the girl beside him.
“Sure, and I’ll take a Coke please.” He reached into his pocket for money and both girls noticed he was holding hands with the girl next to him and exchanged glances. She was pretty, blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She had her eyes on the game to avoid eye contact with the older girls but it was obvious could tell all she was thinking about was Sam holding her hand. Sam saw the girls and gave his best please don't embarrass me look.
“Well well well look what do we have here Chlo?”
“It looks like little Sammy has himself a girlfriend.” Chloe said, smiling.
The girl blushed and Sam introduced us, “Natalie this is my brother’s girlfriend Chloe and her pesky friend Sophie.” She smiled and gave a shy “Oh, hi”.
“Pesky?” Sophie said pretending to me offended, “Natalie, I’ve known Sammy here since he was born, me and Nate went to elementary school together, I’m sure I have plenty of stories I’m sure you’d love to hear.”
“Hey Soph, I’m getting pretty thirsty. Why don't you go get that soda. Now.” He said shoving his money at her.
“Hey Sam, last time I checked this was the senior row and you’re still a sophomore.” Chloe said.
“Just because your brother is the captain of the team does not give you the privilege to sit here.”
“Well last time I checked, Chloe, you were pining for my mothers approval, which I’m sure I could help with if you would leave me alone?” He said with a smirk. He knew that topic always got her. Chloe pushed down the rim of his hat in his face and grabbed Sophie’s hand to pull me up the bleacher stairs.
“I’ve taught you well.” Sophie whispered to him before she was pulled away.
“I just don't get why she doesn’t like me!” She talked about the protective hawk that was Mrs. Davis for about 20 minutes.
“He’s playing!” Sophie said looking down at her phone. “C’mon grab the soda let’s go!” She ran down the stairs shoving people out of the way to get back to her seat. “Look at him Chlo, Look at him! That’s my boy!” She started jumping up and down out of excitement. Chase played an okay amount for a senior, but he had just come back from quad injury, and he’d been really bummed out he had to miss most of the season. Nate had the ball and was taking it up the field. Jackson, one of the best players on the team, was calling for the ball on one side while Chase was calling on the other. A few people in the stands yelled “Pass it to Jackson!” but Sophie was praying he would give Chase a shot to score. Nate spun to get passed the defender as she took an anxious sip out of her drink. He swung the stick back and passed the ball right to Chase. Sophie turned to Chloe grinning, “Nate’s-“ but she was stopped mid sentence by the sound of the whole student section’s conversations screeching to a halt. Looking out onto the field, Sophie saw Chase laying on the ground.
“What- what- what happened?”
“Number 45 in blue just knocked him down, HARD!” A girl answered from a few rows back.
“Well that’s what helmets are for right?” Chloe said, knowing Sophie was about to freak.
“Him and 23 practically tackled him down, and those guys are big dudes. They double teamed him.” She heard the students around her say. His teammates were surrounding him, blocking the view from the stands. Sophie stood speechless with her heart beating out of her chest. Please be okay, she prayed, please.
Chloe squeezed her best friends hand, “He’ll be fine babe, he probably just got a concussion.”
A few minutes later the trainer ran onto the field with his medical kit and pushed everyone away. Everybody on the field took a knee but everyone in the stands was dead silent. Finally, when the team had moved out of the way Sophie saw the doctor took off Chase’s helmet. He wasn’t moving. She could vaguely see red by his head. “No no no no.” Without one thought she shoved everyone around her out of the way and forced her way down the stairs. In the distance could hear Chloe and Sam calling her name from above but she didn't care. A very scared and determined Sophie hopped over the fence separating the grass from the bleachers and ran onto the field. She fell down on her knees next to him in the muddy grass and grabbed his hand.
“Excuse me, miss? I’m gonna need you to back up while we figure out whats happening.” The doctor said as he lifted Chase’s head and put a cushion underneath it. She was about to argue but Nate grabbed her shoulders and pulled her back. Chase blinked a few times, but there was a stream of blood running down his face from a cut right above his eyebrow.
“He’s gonna need an ambulance, Coach, this is more than a concussion.” The doctor said. Nate immediately wrapped his arms around her, he was about twice her size but comforting as Sophie tried to hold back tears. Fear had overtaken my body. He’s my best friend, she thought, she loved him more than anything else, and here he was laying in front of her covered in blood barely able to remember his name.
Chase started to come to, “Wha..” He looked around, confused and then settled his blue eyed gaze on me like he wanted to say something but couldn’t. Sophie walked over to him and grabbed his hand. He tried sitting up but immediately fell back down.
“Woah, woah.” The doctor said supporting the back of his head, “Can you tell me your name?”
Chase stared at him like he was from an entirely different planet. “Chase…” He said slowly, like he had a bad taste in mouth. He was talking now, he was okay. Nate was hugging me tight reassuring me that everything would be fine. The medic was asking him lots of questions and checking his head.
“Oh my god, I need to call his mom. She’s in New York right now on buisness, oh my God she’s gonna freak out.” Sophie dialed the number and prayed she would pick up. Voicemail.
“What about his dad?” Mark asked. Me and Nate exchanged glances. Chase’s dad wasn't the best parent in the world, so his mom took Chase and left him when he was two, but he did love spending weekends with him. Ignoring Nate’s glances she found his number and called anyway. It rang for a while as she tried to clear her throat so she wouldn't break down during the call. She looked away from him and stared at the parking lot taking long, equal breathes, watching her breath in the cold air.
“Hi, Mr. K? It’s Sophie. Something happened Chase, he's hurt. An ambulance is coming to he school right. Well- sir- the game-. It’s his head. Alright. Children’s, by school, sir. Okay, I’ll see you in a few hours. Of course. Bye.”
“God I hate that guy.” Nate said under his breath. The ambulance siren blared in the distance.
“I’ll take the car and follow you to the hospital, okay?” Chloe said. She had appeared holding Sophie’s purse and jacket. Nate took the jacket and wrapped it around Sophie and rubbed her arms to keep her warm. She hadn't even noticed how cold she had gotten, but nothing seemed to matter in those moments besides Chase’s safety.
“Uh, okay, and I’ll ride in the back with him? Is that allowed or is that just a Greys Anatomy thing?” She nudged the trainer.
He smiled up at her, “Yes Soph, that’s allowed. And hey, don’t worry! He’s going to be fine, okay?” He was trying to be optimistic, which repulsed Sophie but she managed a small nod. She knelt by Chase’s side and rubbed some of the dirt off his face. “He’s just unconscious right now because of the sedative I gave him. One less thing for the ambulance to do.” Sophie wasn’t listening and she really didn't care either. All she could think about was baseball cards. Not just any baseball card, the special edition platinum goldplex sparklypuff 50th anniversary Lou Gehrig card, signed my the man himself. Chase played lacrosse sure, but his favorite sport was baseball. His grandfather had given him that card as a birthday gift and it became one of of his most prized possessions, until his brother spilled hot chocolate on it and ‘The Card Incident of 2015’ was born. But before the incident Sophie remembered the time she made him and the rest of their friends watch Dear John. During the part when John gets shot and loses conciousness, he starts to think about coins. This became a very ridiculed recurring plot point of the movie which the boys love to bring up quite often. While they were watching it, Chase said that if he were ever in that situation he would think about his baseball card. Sophie could picture him standing up in her living room reenacting that scene with Tyler and Nate, lying on the ground whispering “Baseball cards” as he pretended to die. This memory kept Sophie’s mind busy until the ambulance arrived. She rode back with him and watched him drift in and out of consciousness. The paramedics said it was a bad concussion and he’d be okay but they had to run a few tests to rule out spinal injuries.
If, 20 years later, Sophie was asked what happened that night, she would answer with nothing more than an “I have no idea.” And that sure as hell is the truth.
Sophie spent the whole night in that hospital, talking to doctors, friends, teammates, and Chase’s father. The two talked a lot that night, and even though she had to restrain Nate from sucker punching the guy, she came to the conclusion that maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

“Oh. My. God.” Sophie stood with her arms crossed leaning against the wall of her dorm staring at her very hung over little sister. “Jasmine! What the hell did you do to my sister!”
Lauren groaned and rolled over on the ground revealing the dark eye makeup that had smudged all over her face. “Stop shouting.” She whispered, covering her face with the pillow. Sophie stepped over her and shook Jasmine awake.
“Morning sunshine!” Jasmine said as she rubbed her warm brown eyes open. “What’s up?”
“What did you do to Lauren? And where’s Hailey? I told you to show them around not get them wasted!” Sophie was more upset by the fact that she had missed out on partying with her sister than anything but she scolded her best friend anyway.
“Don’t get your panties all in a twist this early, the other ones probably in the bathroom, I heard her throwing up most of the night, but don't worry! We had fun, I showed them the real college experience and now I can show them my top 10 best steps to getting rid of a hangover. You go take your test before your late and I’ll have them up, fed, clean, and stable by the time you get back, okay? Okay. Alright, time to go back to bed because step #1 is sleeping in so be a doll and shut the lights off on your way out.” She tucked herself back under the covers of her bed and pretended to snore. Sophie smiled and shook her head. I can’t believe I let them go out without me, she thought as she walked out of Jasmine’s room and into the common area. The other two girls who lived with them were hardly ever there and had probably already left for the day, even though it was 8:30. Katie, soccer player on scholarship was almost always at the field or working out with her football boyfriend. Sophie liked her and how she never wasted the hot water in the shower, but she seemed a little intense when it came to anything that had to do with competition. Margaret, the one who shared a bathroom with Jasmine, was just plain weird. She spent a lot of time at the library, psychology major, and always tried to guess what you were thinking as if she was your shrink. She also grew up 20 minutes away and spent way too many weekends at home. Sophie was lucky to have Jasmine though, they were insanely similar and clicked immediately.
“Sophia!” Taylor yelled as she busted open the door. “Where’s your sister and her friend?” For a person of her size she had an astoundingly loud voice which usually annoyed Sophie but she made an exception when Taylor said it with her Spanish accent.
“Jasmine took them out partying last night. They spent the night throwing up all over Margarets bathroom.” She said, making a fresh pot of coffee.
“HAH! Maggie will not be happy with that. You ready to go? I actually feel so ready for this test. I know I’m going to ace it. I stayed up all not studying with Marcos!” She giggled.
Sophie raised her eyebrow. “Marcos! Really? Did anything happen?”
“No.” Taylor said, rolling her eyes. “It’s been like three weeks and he's given me nothing! But he did invite me to get coffee after the test. Wanna come? It’s a whole bunch of us, Marcos, Jeremy, the blonde kid with the glasses.”
“Sure, the girls need some time to get un-hung over anyways. Okay, ready to go?” She grabbed her backpack and slung it over her shoulder. Taylor spent the whole walk to class talking about Marcos and his dreamy eyes, but Sophie didn't mind.
The test was exactly as she anticipated and she was the first one done by at least 20 minutes. Walking back to her seat she stuck her tongue out at Jeremy, who always tried to race her for first one done. He was super cute and Taylor liked to tease her about them dating but she didn't see him like that. She liked being just friends with a guy for once, she had sworn off dating. Okay, that was an exhaggertation, maybe just until she picked a major.

The sound of Queen filled the smoky air, and Sophie wondered why being college graduates justified the excessive amount of 80s music she had listened to in the last 10 minutes, and why a 5 year high school reunion was even necessary. The kids who wanted to stay friends stayed friends, and the rest of them went on to live their own college lives, leaving the memories of their San Diego childhood for a pot-smelling Ivy league dorm room. She was standing with a group of girls she would otherwise never refer to as friends, but until the old crew showed up this was the best she had.
“And what about you, Soph?” One of the girls said.
“Hm?” She asked
“Did Nate tell you before he proposed?” Stupid question. Nate and I had been best friends since I can even remember, of course he had ran it by me before he asked for other best friends hand, I was the closest thing that girl had to family.
I smiled and nodded, “We came up with the idea together.” The obviously fake smile covered up the loathing I felt toward that girl. Nate and Chloe, Nate and Chloe, Nate and Chloe, that’s all anyone ever talks about. Of course jealousy played a large role in these thoughts, but besides that did it ever cross that girl’s mind how extremely insensitive she was acting?
“And you and Chase? I heard a rumor you called it quits, but if you don’t mind me asking, I just wasn't sure.”
Clearly not.
“That rumor would be correct. Chase and I have been broken up for 4 years.” I said flatly. “Oh, you know what, there’s Patrick, I should go say hello.” I said before promptly walking away.
“First one here I see.” Patrick said with a smirk, referring to the group I had just come from. He raised his arms and pulled me in tight.
“Saved by the bell, so how you been? I haven’t seen you in ages.”
“You know me, a little of this a little of that. I’ve had more jobs in the past year than this whole room combined and…”
And that’s when I saw him, standing not 6 feet from me, looking the opposite direction while trying to fix his mess of a tie. His hair was slicked back in attempt to tame his curls, but it wasn't working. He had on a clearly expensive brand name suit, but only to show off he could. I knew I had only a matter of seconds before he saw me, and I decided it was now or f***ing never. I downed my champagne and excused myself from Patrick, who had seen my gaze and understood the distraction, whispering s*** under his breath.
“Chase Bingham.” I said, mustering up every ounce of confidence I had. He looked at me with a smirk, but after calculating my identity with a slow up-down his smile faded and disbelief set in.
“Sophie.”

After my fourth shot of tequila I decided to excuse myself for some fresh air, where I stumbled into the old courtyard. It was cold for a summer night, but I kind of liked it, made me feel awake.
“You always knew how to hold your alcohol.” Said a voice behind me.
“Like you could.” I answered back.
“Better than you.” He countered, before sitting down next to me on the edge of the bench.
I laughed. “Nice suit.”
“Nice boob job.”
I smacked his chest, “Oh shut up, it’s called a push up bra, but you wouldn't know about those would you. Never could get one undone.”
He laughed. We sat in silence for awhile. “You still with that guy?”
“You still with that girl?”
“Touche.”
“Broke up last November.”
“Feburary.”
“Valentine’s Day. Rough.”
“Do you still have those earrings I got you, Valentine’s Day, junior year?”
“In my jewelry box.”
We sat in silence again.
“I loved you.” I said. I could’ve blamed it on the alcohol, but it was all me.
“I know.” He took a deep breath out and wouldn't meet my eyes. “I f***ed up.”
“No s***.”
“What would’ve happened, if we’d stayed together.”
“We’d be like Nate and Chlo.”
“Nah, we were never like them.”
“I just mean we’d be happy.”
 “You’re not happy?”
“That’s not what I said.”
Silence.
“I wanted us too, ya know.”
“Then why didn’t you fight for me?”
“Jesus, tequila sure does bring out your honest side.”
“I’m serious Chase, what the f*** was I supposed to do. You were my life, my whole f***ing life, and you walked out on me. When things got tough you walked out.”
“That’s not what happened and you know it. I was doing what was best for you.”
“And not being with you was the answer?”
“Look at you know Soph, all your dreams are coming true. That never would’ve happened if I stayed.”
“Bullshit, don’t make this about my dreams.”
Silence.
“Can I take you somewhere?”

“Nice bracelet.” I heard a voice behind me say. I said a silent prayer it wasn’t Samuel Gustini. I took a small sip of my beer on the off chance it was and turned around.
Way worse than Sam Gustini.
“Hi.” I said, standing face to face with the last person I wanted to see.
“Glad to see it still gets good use.” He said, and it then occurred to me he was referring to the bracelet he had gotten me for our anniversary senior year, the same one I was wearing that night.
“I didn’t know you were coming.” I blurted out, as if it had mattered.
“Maid of Honor didn’t know the guest list?”
“I didn’t think you’d show.”
 “Nate’s like my brother.”
“Because of me. I didn’t think you’d show because of me.”
“Still self centered as always I see.”
“Last time I saw you you were leaving, hard to believe you’d ever come back.”
“How’s your brother?” He said, changing the subject.
“Graduating this year. Playing at Auburn in the fall.”
“S***. Always knew he could do it. I take all the credit for that arm of his but I will be charging a belated coaching fee once he goes pro.”
I almost smiled, but I didn’t want to give him that satisfaction.
“You bring a date to this thing?”
“Is that your way of asking if I’m single?”
“Is that your way of avoiding my question?”
 “Didn’t bring a date, needed to be fully focused on them.” I said, gesturing at the newlyweds.
“Don’t look now, but that girl Mia from high school has been eyeing us for like, the past 10 minutes.”