Second Chances | Teen Ink

Second Chances

July 11, 2016
By ManiJade26 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
More by this author
ManiJade26 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
She had blue skin
And so did he
He kept it hid
And so did she
They searched for blue
Their whole life through
And passed right by
And never knew
~Shel Silverstein


Author's note:

Everyone deserves a second chance, a chance to redeem themselves. Life is hard and its going to be difficult but as long as you don't give up on yourself or others, things can look up for you.

“Get a job,” a young voice says in my ear as he passes me. It’s not the first time I’ve heard this irritated mumble and it definitely won’t be the last. Every day, I wait for the sound of footsteps and then emerge from my cave between a bakery and a florist shop and walk out 4 steps into the middle of the sidewalk. A sign around my neck and a can of pencils in hand; this is how I survive these days.
I stay in place for hours, muttering a ‘thank you’ after hearing coins being dropped onto metal. It’s nice to be around people, even if no one buys a pencil from me. Sometimes when it’s not too cold outside, I’ll leave my jacket in my alleyway just to feel the material of the fresher jackets that brush past me in a hurry along with the sound of rushing heels and dramatic breathing.
On slow days, I get creative and make up stories for the people who pass me every day. Like the young boy smelling like an entire bottle of body spray and humming along with the song blaring from his headphones. He’s headed to community college, slightly nervous and excited to see that pretty girl that sits right in front of him. Today was the day he was finally going to ask her on a date, somewhere nice, but not too expensive since he was living off a busboy’s wage.
The quickest ones are always kids who just enjoy being outside. They chase each other down the sidewalk, with an exhausted mother calling after them. Maybe they were going to visit their grandma, who would no doubt have tons of sweets and goodies that they’ll shove down their throats until they’re in a food-induced nap
Then there is the slow, light clicking of heels and smell a light floral aroma. I press my lips together and bow my head as the old woman passes me. These women tend to walk with purpose yet without rush and seem offended that I would dare offer my can out for them to partake in buying a pencil since they are far too sophisticated for such childish writing utensils and only use fountain pens.
Then there are the bad days where I can’t distract myself and instead, I think; I think of standing for hours in rain, snow, or sunshine in worn down shoes and flimsy clothes that hide nakedness instead of providing warmth. Or the harsh words such as “leech”, “bum”, or “no honey. Just look away.” It’s hard to ignore the fact that people pretend not to see me to avoid feeding into their guilt or to hold back their disgust. I try not to think about that shameful look away. I try not to think of how people see me as an undesirable; a mole on the face of society. I try not to think of how everyone has a place to be, somewhere to go; everyone except me. I ignore these things because if I acknowledge them I will despise myself because at one point I had the same thoughts and ideas and places as everyone else who pushes past me without even a single thought towards the outstretched hand of pencils for only 25 cents.
Whenever my stomach calls for it, I’m lifted up and pulled by the smell of fresh bread and warm pastries. Every day, the conversation repeats itself. “Hey Eli, how’s the crowd treating you out there?”
“Not too bad, Jim. I’m here, ain’t I?”
“What’ll it be today?” I point at the glass case and trust that my choice will be more than delicious. I present my can and Jim takes out what I owe. When it gets colder, I stay in the warm hug of the bakery for a while, sometimes even until closing time. Jim never minds it.
I walked into Jim’s bakery and was embraced by the bakery’s aroma. “Happy Birthday Eli!” I smiled.
“Thanks Jim.”
“I made you something special, but only cause I like you so much.”
“You didn’t have to do that.”
“Are you kidding me? I’ve been counting down the days. I always make something for my regular customers. And since you like chocolate so much…” I heard the glass slide open and close. I smelled the cake before Jim led me to a table and handed me a fork. He patted my back. “Chow down old man. It’s all yours.”
“Thank you, Jimmy.”
“Ah man, I’m too old to be called Jimmy.”
“And I’m too young to be called ‘old man’,” I chuckled. Jim continued talking but his voice was farther away.
“How young we talking?”
“A very young 54.”
“54! And you stand out there all day? How are your legs not giving out?”
“Because they’re young, strong legs.”  Jim’s laugh got closer as I shoved cake into my mouth in small forkfuls.
“Well there’s a part two to your gift, young man,” Jim announced.
“I don’t smell anything else but this cake in front of me.”
“It’s not food, just a little money.” I paused.
“This cake is more than enough, Jim.”
“Now Elijah, I’ve been setting aside this money ever since you walked into my bakery almost a year ago. Now there’s a motel not far from here and we can go and –“
“No thank you, Jim. Now leave me be.” Jim gave a heavy sigh.
“I hoped I wouldn’t have to do this… Kiri!”
There was a fast pace of little slaps on the tile floor. “Agent Kiri on duty,” announced a small voice. “Hello, sir. I’m Agent Kiri. I’m here to investigate the problem and present a solution.”
“Hello Agent. There is no problem at all. I’m just trying to enjoy my cake. Would you like a slice? ”
“Yes! Daddy can I have a piece?” The mock authority left the girl’s voice.
“No, Kiri. That’s his birthday cake,” answered Jim.
“Aw, Jim. The birthday boy wants to share his cake; cut her a slice.” There was an annoyed sigh and a screech as a chair was pulled up next to me.
“Alright, I hid the knives so my dad will be gone for a while.” The girl was clever. “So why won’t you take the money…sir?”
“Just call me Eli, and I don’t need it. I’m fine as I am.”
“Granny says men are too prideful to take money from other men. Are you being prideful?”
“No.”
“There’s no need to be embarrassed. We just want to get you a warm place to stay before it gets cold outside.”
“I do fine in the cold, I like it. Don’t worry about me”
“Do you sell pencils?” A finger tapped the can.                                                                                
“I do, for 25 cents.”
“Ok. I would like to buy all your pencils and you can keep the change.”  I chuckled.
“You are quite clever, young lady. How old are you?”
“I’m 6. I’ll be 7 in 3 months and 2 days. Daddy says I’m so smart because my mama was really smart.”
“Was?”
Kiri took a breath. “This boy was texting while he was driving and his car hit my mama’s. But Granny says that it was an accident and that we should forgive him.”
“I’m sorry to hear that… Your granny sounds very wise.” Kiri sniffed.
“Yeah, my granny’s pretty smart and nice. She’s always doing things for people. It would make her really happy to know that we helped someone in need.”
“The knife was hiding under the sink. I wonder how it got there,” Jim said. He approached us and set down a plate. “Any luck Agent Kiri?”
“I’m wearing him down,” whispered Kiri.
“I appreciate it, but I don’t want to take your money. I just want to eat this wonderful cake and keep talking to Miss Kiri.”
“Sounds like we need the big guns,” Kiri said.
“You know what to do Agent,” Jim said.
“Granny!” Immediately, there was a determined clicking of heels headed towards me. They stopped abruptly.
“Eli? Elijah Sinclair?” A familiar voice of wonder called.
“Yeah. That’s me. Who’s asking?”
“Oh my goodness. I can’t believe this. You don’t remember me? I’m not that old.” The woman laughed and my heart stopped.
“Hunter? Is that you?”
“In the flesh baby.” I stood and reached out. Hunter embraced me and giggled. “Now I knew the man outside the shop was an Elijah, but I never would’ve guessed it was you.” Hunter pulled back but her hands remained on my upper arm.
“Are you two friends?” Kiri asked with her mouthful.
“We are. We were really close in high school,” Hunter answered.
“Does that mean you’re going to make Mr. Eli get the motel?”
“Oh yes, that. Now, don’t be stubborn Eli. I won’t allow you to go sleeping in that dirty, cold alley anymore.”
“Hunter. I appreciate the offer but I don’t want Jim’s money.”
“It’s better than taking money from those people on that sidewalk. All they do is give you lousy quarters because they pity you. The Eli I know hates pity.”
“So you give me more pity?” I shot. I was answered with silence. “I do what I can to survive. No one wants to be burdened with a blind man.” Hunter stepped back. I felt a very small breeze on my nose. “I know you’re waving your hand in front of my face. Believe me, I’m blind. I’m surprised your boy didn’t tell you that.”
“Oh my. Well, I don’t want to send you to a motel now. Not when they can just rob you blind.” Hunter paused. “I’m sorry.”
“It’s fine. Can I please just eat my cake in peace?”
“Yes. Go ahead and eat your cake but stay inside and I’ll be back to pick you up around closing.”
“Pick me up?”
“Yes. I’m not letting you live in an alley. And seeing how a motel is out of the question, you’re just going to have to come home with me.”
“Hunter I—“
“I’m going to run some errands, get the guest room all fixed up and start dinner. I don’t want to hear another word about it. I’ll be back later.” A bell rang and the door slammed.
“So… living with granny,” Kiri said. “Good luck with that.”

“By now, you all know the basic responsibilities of the student council,” said the president of the group. He stood in front of his peers, commanding the room to listen him with his posture and tone. “The main responsibility and expectation is to fund, create and decorate prom. For most of our seniors, prom is the last magical night they will have during their time in high school. We have to make it spectacular so that they can look back on it and be proud that they went to this high school and had such a wonderful time here.” His legs were shaking but it didn’t show. He had practiced this same lecture in front of his mirror a thousand times but talking to himself and talking to a group of teenagers was much different. “So today’s meeting topic is: prom.   We need ideas for themes, fundraisers, a committee who is willing to put it together, and then more fundraiser ideas. Any questions?” Some of the students just shook their head, motioning that they were ready to get started.
A single hand rose from the back of the room. “Yes?” the president asked. He stood on his toes to look over the students in front of him.
“Uh, hi. I’m not in student council. I just got lost on my way to a class.” A girl stood, awkwardly twisting one of the straps on her bag. A giggle rolled through the group.
“Hey. It’s not funny,” reprimanded the president. “I’ll help you find your class. Everyone else, start brainstorming.” He walked to the door of the room, where the girl was already waiting for him. “What room were you looking for?”
“A224,” the girl mumbled to her feet.
“Same room, but upstairs. Follow me.” The president began walking and the girl stepped in line next to him. “Are you new?” The girl nodded, still looking at her feet. “Where are you from?”
“An all-girls school, upstate,” the girl whispered.
“All girls? Man, that’s lucky. I wish I could go to an all-girls school.” The girl let out a snort and a smile crept on her face.
“You wouldn’t like it. The teachers are mean and the girls aren’t as pretty as you would think.”
“There are mean teachers in every school. And there has to be at least one pretty girl in the school.” The girl shook her head and her eyes glanced over at the president.
“No. They’re all pretty ugly.” The girl failed to hold back a giggle.
“I don’t believe you.”
“You saying I’m a liar?”
“I’m just saying, a beautiful girl like you came from an all-girls school and you expect me to believe that girls from all-girls schools are ugly? You’re full of it.” The girl smiled at the ground. “Here’s your class.” The president stopped in front of the class. 
“Thanks.” The girl headed into the room.
“Wait, before you go.” The president pulled a pen from his pocket and gently grabbed the girl’s arm. “I’m going to give you my number. Just in case you get lost again, ya know?” He wrote a few numbers on the girl’s arm with his name underneath them. When he finished the girl held up her arm.
“Thanks. I actually may end up needing this.” She tried to decipher his handwriting. “What does this say?”
“Prez. My friends call me Prez. It’s a nickname.”
“My friends call me Lexa. It’s also a nickname.”
“It’s a nice nickname.” The girl laughed.
“Thanks, again. But I really should get to my tutorial before my teacher leaves.”
“Right. See you around, Lexa.”
“See ya, Prez.”

 

“And you don’t mind her being around?” I asked. Kiri and I were sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall. Kiri told me a teacher from her school, Ms. Morgan, and her dad recently got married and she got to be the flower girl. Kiri shrugged.
“She’s nice and she makes good cupcakes and she’s really pretty. And at home, I get to call her Sonya.”
“What does she look like?” Kiri spoke with excitement.
“She has short, curly, red hair. It used to be long but she cut it because this girl in her class didn’t like her own haircut and she wanted to make her feel better.”
“That’s very nice of her.”
“I told you she’s nice. And she has big green eyes. They’re green like uh…” Kiri thought for a second. “Like emeralds! She’s skinny but she can eat a lot of candy without getting sick. But not ice cream. And she’s short for a grown up.” Kiri paused. “Want to know what the bakery looks like?”
“Of course I do,” I chuckled.
It became a game for Kiri to describe every possible thing and person she could think of. The joy in Kiri’s voice didn’t falter, not even when she dozed off, breathing lightly and laying her head on my arm.
I closed my eyes and listened to the muffled sound of cars and passing footsteps. A bell rang and the door slammed. “Hey sweetheart,” said a melodic voice.

“Hey,” Jim was interrupted by a small kissing sound. “I don’t think Kiri is quite ready to go.”
“Who is she sleeping next to?”
“The homeless man I was going to give money to.”
“Going to? Why didn’t you?”
“He wouldn’t take it. But it turns out he’s an old friend of Ma’s, so she’s going to take him in for a while.”
“Is that safe?”
“Of course it is,” Jim laughed.
“I mean, we don’t know him. He could turn out to be a crazy axe murderer.”
“Ma knows him. They’re friends. Don’t worry about him. He even sat here and talked to Kiri. I saw no signs of crazy axe murderer.”
“Kiri talked to him?”
“She wouldn’t shut up. They even talked about you.”
“Really? What’d she say?”
“That you’re pretty and nice and she likes your cupcakes.”
“So she doesn’t hate me. Maybe she even likes me? Just a little bit? ”
“I told you before, she just needs time.”
“She didn’t say a word to me for months, Jim. But she opened up to a complete stranger. It’s pretty obvious that she doesn’t adore me.”
“To be fair, she doesn’t like talking to most people.”
“Then what was so different about him?” There was silence.
“She was on a mission. You know how dedicated she gets.”
“Yes. I know.” Then the woman cleared her throat. “Now, something more important: why wasn’t Kiri in school?”
“She was here, you knew that,” Jim said.
“No. I knew there was an agreement to bring her here after school so she could help.”
“What? I’m pretty sure I told you that she was going to be with me today.”
“What?” the female voice mocked Jim’s with slight annoyance. “You told me she would be late because you wanted to take her to breakfast, which is okay. But she can’t skip school. She’ll end up developing a habit of it.”
“It was a one-time thing, Sonya.”
“She skips school with you at least twice a month. She’s brilliantly smart but she still has lots to learn.”
“Okay, okay. No more skipping.”
“Thank you.” Kiri quickly moved from the spot on my arm.
“That’s not fair! We know I’m not learning anything important in school. Why do you have to ruin our fun?” she yelled.
“Kiri!” Jim said.
“It’s okay,” Sonya assured Jim. “Kiri, I’m not trying to ruin anything. I just want the very best for you.”
“Yeah, right. This isn’t fair!”
“Kiri!” Jim scolded.
“You’re not my mom so stop acting like it!” The room died.
“Kiri Anne, you apologize now.”
“No its fine. She’s right,” Sonya sniffed. “Kiri, why don’t you introduce me to your new friend? I’m sure he’s awake by now.” I took my cue to stand and cleared my throat.
“You can call me Eli,” I said. Footsteps came closer towards me.
“Hello Mr. Eli, I’m Sonya.”
“Sonya. Sweetheart, he’s blind. He can’t see your hand,” Jim corrected.
“Oh right.” I reached out and a hand was gently placed in mine.
“Nice to meet you Sonya. I’ve heard good things about you.” I held her hand in both of mine.
“That’s nice.” Her voice trembled. “I’m sorry, but I need to run. I have papers to grade.” She ripped her hand away. “See you guys at home?”
“Yeah,” Jim said. “See you soon.” The footsteps retreated, a bell rang and the door closed. The room was in critical condition. “You’re not off the hook Kiri.”
“I didn’t do anything but tell the truth,” Kiri said. “Isn’t that what I was raised to do?”
“We’ll talk when we get home. I’m sorry you had to see, uh, hear that, Eli.”
“Don’t mind me.” I was dying for Hunter to get back. I needed to get out of that bakery.
We drowned in silence, only taking a breath when the bell rang and the door closed. “It’s quittin’ time!” Hunter said. No one responded and I followed the source of her voice. “‘Hello? It’s polite to speak when someone enters a room.”
“Hello,” we all said in unison.
“That’s better. You ready to go Eli?” I nodded. I felt suffocated by awkwardness. “I’ll walk you to my car. Goodbye you two.”
“Bye Ma,” Jim said.  Hunter held onto my arm like a princess holds onto a prince and began walking. We stepped outside and I asked her to stop. I released my arm and walked 4 feet forward, 7 feet to the left, and 5 feet back into my alley. “Eli, what are you doing?” Hunter called. I walked back cradling my coat. “We can get you a new jacket. That one doesn’t seem like it can survive another winter.”
“I’m not worried about the coat,” I said. I felt the weight of Hunter’s hand as she petted the small cat in my arms.
“He’s adorable,” she cooed.
“She’s been with me the past couple weeks.  If I’m going anywhere, she’s coming with me.”
“Of course!” Hunter held onto my forearm and continued to lead me to her car. “We’ll get her all cleaned up and take her to the vet and get her a cute little collar. What’s her name?”
“She doesn’t have one.” A car door opened and I was gently pushed into the car. Hunter closed the door and I let go of the kitten only long enough to buckle my seat belt.
“We can think of a name later. Seat belt on?” I snorted.
“I remember being in a car with you, Hunter. I only wish I had two seat belts.” Hunter laughed and I was pushed into the seat as she sped off.
Hunter led me up several stairs to her apartment. The apartment’s smell was familiar and I asked what kind of flowers were in the room.
“They’re Chrysanthemums,” Hunter answered as she gently pulled the kitten’s cocoon from my arms. “I’m going to clean her up in the kitchen sink while you shower.”
“Shower?”
“Yes, shower. You smell awful and take off your shoes please. Or you’ll track dirt all over the place.”
“I don’t have any clean clothes.” I kicked off my boots. My feet welcomed the feel of carpet. I curled and uncurled my toes. Hunter pushed something into my chest. I held the bundle. “What’s this?”
“Clean clothes. I don’t have many rules but I demand you don’t stink, stay clean, and don’t walk around naked.”
“Hunter I-”
“And the last rule: don’t argue with me about this.  It’s just until we can find you a job and your own place and then you can pay me back. I just want to help you get your life together.”
“Okay,” I mumbled.
“Okay,” I could tell she was smiling. She always smiles when she gets her way. She grabbed hold of my forearm again.
“Where’s the kitten?” I asked.
“In the kitchen gulping down a bowl of milk. Don’t worry, she’s okay. Let me show you where the shower is.” Hunter began her stroll and I counted my steps. I felt cold tile through the holes in my socks. I pulled my arm away and felt around the bathroom. To my immediate left was the sink. I slowly walked three feet forward and felt my feet hit something. “That’s the toilet.” I felt Hunter grab my arm and direct it to face the toilet. “Aim this way,” she said while giggling. I chuckled and nodded my head. I hit the bathtub and Hunter grabbed my clothes from me. “These will be on the sink,” she said. “The soap dish will be on the left side. It’s a fresh bar so don’t be afraid to wash 2 or 3 times. Hell, use the whole bar if you have to. There’s a washcloth hanging on a rail. If you’re facing the showerhead, the rail is directly behind you. And I’ll sit a towel on top of the toilet. The left knob is hot, the right is cold.”
“Thank you.” I smiled and waited until I heard Hunter close the bathroom door.
I pulled off my socks. They were made of more holes than actual sock but it felt nice to be rid of them. I finished stripping off dirty clothes and then I carefully stepped into the bathtub. After struggling to find it, I closed the shower curtain. I felt for the knobs. I found one and was shot with Arctic ice. “S***,” I muttered as I quickly found the other knob. I hunted for the soap and washcloth as the water balanced out to a warmer temperature. I rubbed the soap on the washcloth and then began scrubbing. I went from head to toe 3, maybe 4, times.
When I finally came out the shower, I felt clean and raw. I lifted my arms and sniffed under them, just to be sure. I grabbed my towel and dried my feet before stepping out the tub. I wrapped the towel around my waist and counted 3 steps to the sink. 
It was easy to feel what was what and getting dressed wasn’t a big struggle. I reveled in the feel of clean clothes on my clean skin. It was definitely a feeling I had taken for granted.
I felt around for the door knob and stepped out of the bathroom. “Hunter?”
“I’m in the living room. I’ll come to you in a second.”
“No, stay there.” I began retracing my steps. “Marco,” I called out.
“Polo.” I could hear the humor in Hunter’s voice. She wasn’t far. I followed her voice and ran into something. “That’s the recliner.” I moved around the chair cautiously. I kept walking towards Hunter until my foot tapped something else. “That’s the couch.” Hunter’s voice was right in front me. I joined her on the couch. “Congrats, you found me.” I felt her place the kitten in my lap. I petted the small cat. “She’s sleeping,” Hunter said as she stood. Her voice descended. “She’s surprisingly tame for a stray.” I nodded in agreement. “I hope you don’t mind chicken noodle soup for dinner.”
“Are you making it from scratch?”
“That’s the only way I make it.”
“Mm. I haven’t had homemade chicken noodle soup in a while.”
“Oh sweetheart, just wait ‘til you have my soup. You’ll be crying tears of joy.” Hunter laughed and continued her clinking.
“I’m pretty full off of chocolate cake. Your boy sure can bake.”
“He’s been baking since he was little. He was always baking with my mom. Which earned him a lot of cavities.” Hunter laughed. “The very first thing he made was blueberry muffins and from there he’s always had a dream of being the real muffin man.”
“That sounds like Jim. He’s a great kid.”
“He is. And he has a great daughter.”
“So, why is there no father in the picture? I can’t imagine a man running out on you.” Hunter was quiet. I had crossed a line. “I’m sorry. That’s none of my business.”
“No. It’s alright.” Hunter took a deep breath. “Jimmy’s father wasn’t ready to take care of a baby and so I left him before he could leave me.”
“Maybe he would’ve stayed. Maybe he wanted to make it work. Maybe everything would’ve turned out to be a happy fairytale ending.”
“Life is no fairytale. And trust me the way he was, it was better that I left.”
“So he’s never met Jim?”
“I tried to call him up and make him a part of Jim’s life but... He never answered or returned my calls, so I gave up trying.”
“You know what? That’s his loss. He missed out on a great boy and an amazing woman.” I heard Hunter sniffling.
“Yeah,” she choked out.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t want to make you cry. I should’ve just stayed quiet.”
“No. I’m okay.” Hunter cleared her throat. “I just haven’t thought about him in a while.”
“And you shouldn’t.” I paused petting the kitten and gently moved her from my lap to the couch. “Hunter, can you show me the guest room?”
“Oh! Of course!” Hunter’s feet hurried towards me and she once again grabbed my forearm. She talked as I counted. “I was going to give you Jimmy’s old room, but all of Kiri’s stuff has taken over that room. It’s a little weird that someone will actually be using the room.” She stopped walking. “Here’s the doorway.” She continued walking and then stopped. “Here’s the bed.” I counted two more steps and then stopped. “Here is the dresser.” She grabbed my hand and placed it on each drawer naming the contents in each one as she went along.
“You did all of this for me?”
“What did you think I was doing all day?”
“You didn’t have to go and spend money on me.”
“It was a pleasure to do it. I haven’t been able to take over someone’s wardrobe since Jimmy was in middle school.”
“I just don’t want you to spend too much helping me out.”
“Oh don’t worry about that. I’m a pretty successful psychologist, if I say so myself.” I felt for the bed and sat down.
“That’s amazing! You did it!” The bed dipped where Hunter joined me.
“You remembered?”
“How I could I forget the dream of Dr. Hunter?” Hunter gave a breathy laugh. “Not to mention, I was your first patient.”
“Of course, my first diagnosis of crazy ass bastard.” We both laughed.
“Oh, I’ve missed you Hunter.”
“I’ve missed you too,” Hunter whispered. “Eli? What happened? How did you end up like this?” I shook my head.
“Bad choices. Then I was blind, my mom died, and I had nowhere else to go.”
“Why didn’t you try to find me? I would’ve helped you out. You could’ve called.”
“Right. Even if I had the chance to look you up and call you, what was I going to say? ‘Hi, Hunter, although we haven’t talked in years, can I come crash on your couch?’ Besides the way things between us were-”
“That doesn’t matter. I would’ve anything to help you and I know if the tables were turned you’d be sitting here telling me the same thing.”
“I’m sorry. I never wanted to push you away.”
“Elijah,” Hunter placed a hand on my back. “I forgave you a long time ago.”

I sat in my favorite seat in my favorite café, trying not to stare at the baby sitting cozily in a carrier next to his mother. He was sleeping with his cheeks and nose flushed. I looked down at my hands, wrapped around my cup of orange tea. My eyes crept back up to peek at the child. Except this time, his mother caught me. I darted my eyes back to my hands. I picked up my red pen and continued marking my 4th graders’ spelling tests. Somehow, my eyes made their way to looking at tiny baby shoes. I shook my head, focusing myself.
My students improved their test scores since the last test. I pictured myself helping a small child learn their lift of words after seeing they didn’t do too well on their own. The cheerful eyes as he or she spelled the words to me and I confirmed that they were spelled correctly. Kiri never needed help studying. I sighed and glanced at my phone for the time. I placed all the tests in my bag. I stood and left money on the table for my tea. I stopped by the woman and her baby.
The baby shared his mother’s lips and chubby pink cheeks. “You have an adorable son,” I commented with a smile the woman said thank you through a wide grin. I nodded and headed out.
I parked in front of the cottage, a nickname Kiri gave our small yet comfy house. I dreaded going inside. No doubt Jim was scolding Kiri and Kiri was battling him on every word. I dragged my legs to the door and took a deep breath before entering.
I was surprised to be greeted by silence. “Hello?” I called out from the living room, Jim and Kiri’s usual after school/work hangout.
“We’re in the dining kitchen,” Jim’s voice called out. I smiled at the name Kiri gave our kitchen that doubled as the dining room. It was a huge kitchen so space wasn’t an issue, it just really bothered Kiri that the kitchen and dining room were combined.
I walked to the dining kitchen and saw Jim cooking and Kiri doing her homework. “Hey guys.” Jim kissed my cheek and continued cooking.
“Hello, dear.”
“What are you making?”
“Spaghetti, at Kiri’s request.”
“Can I request garlic bread?”
“Already on it.” Jim winked at me and went back to humming in the kitchen. I sat at the small round table across from Kiri.
“Hey, Kiri.” Kiri passed me a slip of paper.
I’m not allowed to talk. I glanced over at Jim who was still humming and cooking. I wrote back to Kiri on the paper.
He’s that mad? Kiri nodded.
I’ve been done with my homework for 30 minutes but I don’t want to go to my room. I glanced up at Jim and winked at Kiri.
“So Kiri, how was your day?” Kiri opened her mouth to talk.
“Don’t you dare Kiri; Sonya this is her punishment, stop trying to get her out of it.”
“Oh come on Jim. Not talking is basically torture, especially for Kiri.”
“Well then, I’m torturing her.” Jim spoke while cooking, seeming bored of the conversation.
“You’re torturing her? That’s illegal you know. People go to jail for torturing kids Jim,” I teased. “And you’re much too pretty for jail.” Kiri giggled. “Then I’m going to be sent to jail for being an accomplice to this torture of children and your mom will have to take of Kiri or,” I faked a gasp. “She’ll be sent to an orphanage! Then she’ll become a petty thief and live her life on the streets! Kiri will be forced to live a life of crime all because you wouldn’t let her tell me about her day.” Kiri was fighting back laughter and Jim was forcing back a smile.
“I think your exaggerating a bit here, Sonya.”
“I don’t know Jim. I saw Kiri eyeing your watch earlier. Maybe her inner thief is growing each second her voice is silenced.” Jim continued cooking, his back to me.
“The silence penalty will be lifted for 30 minutes.”
“4 hours,” I bargained.
“One hour.” I turned to Kiri who pointed upwards.
“My client and I are going to have to decline your offer and raise it to 3 and a half hours,” I mocked. Jim narrowed his eyes.
“2 and a half hours.”
“3 hours, final offer.” Jim sucked his teeth.
“Deal.”
“Awesome!” Kiri yelled and she gave me a high five.
“So how was your day?”
“Today I started this series called Encyclopedia. It has information on everything! Like if I wanted to know something about elephants I would look in the ‘E’ section and-”
“Wait. You’re reading encyclopedias?” I said wide eyed. Kiri nodded. “Kiri, encyclopedias is a tool people use to look up things when they need information like the dictionary or Google.”
“Oh,” Kiri’s lips twisted in thought. “Can I still read it?” I laughed.
“Of course! Read whatever you like! Jim are you hearing this?”
“Yes, I also heard about it all day,” Jim said.
“How are you not bouncing off of walls? This is amazing! I didn’t even see an encyclopedia until I was in middle school. Kiri’s a mini Einstein!”
“She’s not an Einstein just yet,” Jim said as he began making plates.
“The girl self-taught herself French. She’s barely 7 years old, Jim. Most 7 year olds are still trying to master their first language.” Jim set down mountains of spaghetti in front of me and Kiri and joined us at the table.
“If you keep getting this excited every time Kiri does something new, she’s going to get a big head,” Jim turned to Kiri. “Not literally.”
“How are you not excited? Kiri is ahead of her class by years! She shouldn’t be in 3rd grade.”
“Not this again, Sonya.”
“She’s already skipped 3 grades, Jim. What’s the problem of skipping a few more? Maybe then she’ll learn something rather than teaching her classmates.”
“She needs to be around kids her age. She needs friends her age. She doesn’t need to grow up so fast.”
“She’s not going to college. She’s simply expanding her mind. Isn’t that what every parent should want for their child?”
“She’s too young Sonya.”
“Well then don’t put her in a higher grade. Just enroll her in Achievement Academy, a school for advanced academics.”
“You mean the nerd factory.”
“Kiri’s a huge nerd! No offense.” Kiri shrugged and shoved a forkful of spaghetti in her mouth.
“Kiri’s life shouldn’t have to be focused on academics. She should be able to do kid stuff: run around, eat dirt, get cooties.”
“She doesn’t even do those things now. The only thing that would change is her surroundings.”
“Just drop it, Sonya. She’s fine where she is.”
“Kiri,” I faced Kiri whose mouth was leaking spaghetti and her eyes widened after realizing someone was talking to her. “Which would you rather do? Stay in your current school or go to a more challenging school with other kids like you?” I was hoping that since we hadn’t talked about it in a while that maybe she had changed her mind. But, no. Kiri looked at me, gears turning in her head, squinted at me with what I always assume is an irritated glare, widened her eyes innocently and shrugged. Just a shrug and another forkful of spaghetti jammed down her throat.
“She’s just a kid, Sonya,” Jim said as if talking to a sad child. I know the voice, I’m the one using it all day. “She’s not sure of anything she wants to do with her future just yet. And she doesn’t have to be.”
“Right,” I mutter as my fork danced in my spaghetti. “I guess I just got too excited.”
“You just want the best for me,” Kiri said with feign innocence. I know the voice, I’m the one hearing it all day. I ate my spaghetti and tried to ignore that squint that just couldn’t be an irritated glare.

Prez smiled down at his phone as he received a text from an unknown number 10 minutes before the first bell: Hey. Its Lexa. Can u help me find my class? I am hiding near the front office confused.
Prez’s finger flew: Hold tight. Be there in a sec.
“What are you smiling at?” Camille stood on her tiptoes to look down at Prez’s phone which he promptly put in his pocket.
“That’s for me to know and for you to go away,” Prez spat. “I don’t have time to deal with you right now, I have somewhere to be.” Prez headed towards the front of the school.
“I’m going to ignore that. Where are you headed in such a rush?” Camille asked, taking two steps to match every one that Prez took.
“Nowhere.”
“Then you won’t mind if I tag along.” Prez stopped abruptly.
“See that’s where you’re wrong. I do mind, I mind a lot.” Prez easily towered over the 5 foot girl that was in front of him. Although uncomfortable and nervous, Camille stood her ground.
“If you’re not going anywhere, then why does it matter if I’m follow?”
“Because you’re annoying. I think you really underestimate how irritating your constant harassment is.” Prez began walking again and Camille stepped in line with him.
“I do not harass you.”
“Yes. You do.” Prez looked around the front of the school and locked eyes with Lexa who reflected the grin on his face.
“Who’s that?” Camille asked.
“Hi,” Lexa interrupted.
“Hey,” Prez said. Camille stared at Lexa coldly.
“Oh, uh. I’m Lexa.” Not knowing what else to do, Lexa held out her hand which hung in the air.
“Camille.” Lexa dropped her hand.
“Nice to meet you.” Lexa offered a smile. Camille deepened her scowl. “Ok…I can’t find room H128.”
“Seriously?” Camille said annoyed. “That’s what you’re going with?”
“What?”
“Honestly, if that’s the best you got, I have no reason to be worried.”
“Camille, shut up and go away!” Prez scolded. Camille’s eyes stayed locked on Lexa.
“Competition?”
“Do I have to spell it out for you?” Camille crossed her arms and nodded her head towards Prez, who was burying his face in his hands hoping this was just a bad dream. “He’s mine. So keep your hands off.” Lexa glanced at Prez.
“Oh, I didn’t know he had a girlfriend,” Lexa said.
“I don’t!” Prez jumped in.
“He likes to play hard to get,” Camille said. “But trust me, we’re meant to be.”
“You’re delusional,” Prez looked down at Camille whose eyes were still locked on Lexa.
“So… you’re not his girlfriend?” Lexa asked.
“Not yet,” Camille answered.
“I’m sorry but, if you’re not his girlfriend, what you have to say really doesn’t matter to me.” Lexa broke the battle of glares and turned to Prez. “I really do need help finding my class. But if you want to hang out this weekend, I know a place. Lexa turned back to a fuming Camille and shrugged. “That’s the best I got.”
Lexa grabbed onto Prez’s forearm who took his cue to start walking. Camille stuck her tongue and middle fingers out at Lexa’s back.
“Wow,” Prez said with a laugh. Lexa was pale.
“I hope I wasn’t too mean. Do you think she hates me?”
“Yeah. I think it’s a safe bet to say she hates you.” Prez laughed again.
“Oh man. I feel bad but also kind of thrilled. I was mean to someone!” Lexa giggled and skipped a bit. “I never had someone hate me before. But one enemy is on my list.”
“List?” Lexa looked down at her feet and her face was hot. She shook her head. “Oh, come on. What list?”
“It’s list of things I want to do now that I’m at a public school,” Lexa whispered. Prez stopped and smiled down at Lexa.
“That’s adorable. You’re like a cheesy teenage stereotype.”
“Shut up,” Lexa said still staring at her feet.
“I want to hear more about that list but for now, I have to run to my class.”
“Oh! I’m sorry, you’re going to be late!” Prez began walking backwards in the direction they came from.
“It’s not the first time. Don’t worry about it.” Prez turned around and ran off. Lexa went into class.
Her smile quickly faded as eyes crawled onto her, the last one to enter the room. She hunched down and slid into her desk in the back of the room. Advanced Physics was Lexa’s most torturous class and most of the time she found herself staring at the clock, waiting for the bell to ring.
Lexa sat doodling in her notebook on a page that meant for notes. She had no idea of what to do this weekend. She was new to the area and still had no idea where would be a good place for a date. She wouldn’t even know where to go for a date in her hometown. Now, she’ll be spending her Friday night googling for places to go with Prez this weekend instead of doing her homework.
Lexa dozed off, a hand holding her head. Her butt shook and she jumped, hitting a knee on her desk. The noise earned her some unsettled glances and she smiled. Lexa pulled her phone from her back pocket and held it under her desk (her teacher noticed but didn’t feel up for the fight involved with confiscating a cellphone). New Message: Prez.
Prez: Sooooo bored!
Lexa: I feel ur pain.
Prez: So what’s this ‘place’ we’re going to?
Lexa: Uhhhh. If I am completely honest, idek.
Prez: Say whaa?
Lexa: I got caught up in the moment!
Prez: Lol, fail.
Lexa: I just moved here!
Prez: I don’t want to hear your excuses.
Lexa: U r a butt.
Prez: No. I’m Prez.
Lexa: -.-
Prez: :D
Lexa: DX
Prez: Aw. If you’re that upset over it, I know a better place than anything you would come up with.
Lexa: Yay! No more responsibilities!
Prez: You’re welcome.
Lexa: So where r we going?
Prez: It’s a secret.
Lexa: But I don’t like secrets.
Prez: You’ll like this one. Gtg! Bye! :D
Lexa: Can you at least help me find my dance class after the bell?


“Eli, if you don’t sit still I’ll end up cutting off half your face.” I tried to relax as Hunter brought a pair of scissors close to my throat and began cutting off the beard that I had been growing for years.
“Hunter, those scissors are too close to my neck for comfort.”
“Would you stop complaining? You have a bush on your face. I have to trim it before shaving it.”
“I don’t know which one scares me more: those scissors at my neck or the thought of you having a razor near my face.”
“Oh hush up. I would leave you as you were but if I’m going to be seen with you, you need to be somewhat decent.”
“Seen with you? Where are we going?”
“You didn’t expect to stay cooped up in here until the end of time, did you? It’s been a week, it’s time to get out of this box for a little while.”
“Where are we going Hunter?” Hunter snipped another chunk off my face.
“My niece’s baby shower.” I hadn’t actually socialized with people for a long time. I pressed my lips together.
“Is she having a boy or a girl?”
“She’ll tell us today.” I heard a clink as Hunter sat the scissors on the bathroom sink. My face felt 10 times lighter. I couldn’t help but to reach up and feel my face. Hunter laughed.
“Take it in while you can because that brillo pad on your face is next to go.” I laughed and folded my hands in my lap.
“Alright,” I said with a deep breath. “Please don’t slit my throat.”
“No promises,” Hunter joked. Hunter’s small hands massaged cold shaving cream on my face. I closed my eyes. She turned on the water and let out a breath. “Ready?” My eyes tightened but I did my best to relax my jaw. Hunter grazed the razor against my cheek. After a few more times, I relaxed.
Then she cut me. “S***, Hunter!” Hunter quickly kissed my cut at the bottom of chin.
“All better!” I tensed up and Hunter was quiet. “Sorry,” she whispered. “Force of habit.” I smirked and chuckled.
“’Cut me all you like!” Hunter laughed. “I’m joking. You better not mess up my pretty face.” Hunter laughed louder.
“Shut up and sit still.”


“I am not going in there,” Lexa protested.
“Oh come on it’ll be fun,” Prez said. The teens sat in Prez’s car outside of a roller skating rink.
“I can’t skate. I’ll just look dumb, falling all over the place.”
“Falling is part of the fun!”
“You have a weird perception of fun.”
“You asked me out. So by the rules of dates you are obligated to do this.”
“There’s no such thing as the rules of dates.”
“I just made them up so there is such a thing.”
“I’m going to look stupid.”
“I look stupid all the time.” Lexa failed to fight the smile off her face.
“I don’t want to fall and break myself.”
“Don’t worry. If you start to fall I’ll catch you.” Lexa c***ed her head to the side.
“Promise?” Prez put his right hand up and the left one over his heart.
“Scouts honor.” Lexa laughed.
“Okay.” Prez jumped out the car and went to open Lexa’s door for her. She smiled and tried to calm her heart, which was jumping on a trampoline inside her chest. Prez grabbed her hand.
“Relax, you’ll be fine.” Prez led her inside the building. The rink was dark with a variety of strobe lights dancing on the floor. People were laughing and skating and vending machines were in every corner. One woman spun and skated away backwards. Prez laughed at Lexa’s widened eyes and gaped mouth. “Try not to drool,” he said into Lexa’s ear so that she could hear him over the music.
“This is amazing,” Lexa mumbled.
“Have you never been to a skating rink before?” Lexa shook her head. “Wow. You’ve been missing out.” Prez walked towards a large glass counter displaying candy, pulling Lexa behind him. “What’s your shoe size?”
“I’m a 9.” The man behind the counter promptly pulled out size 9 skates and Lexa released Prez’s hand to grab them. They were an unflattering dark green with bright orange laces. Lexa scrunched up her nose at the ugliest things in the rink. They were out of place in her amazing new discovery. Prez went to a bench and began switching from shoes to skates and Lexa quickly copied.
Prez waited until Lexa tied her laces tight before he stood and offered a hand to Lexa. She grabbed hold and cautiously stood, her feet began rolling and she frantically tried to catch herself. Prez grabbed her other hand and allowed her to put her weight on him until she balanced herself. “One step at a time,” Prez told Lexa. She nodded and took a small step forward as Prez slowly stepped back. “You’re walking in the skates, the goal is to skate in the skates. Step, step, glide.”

“Step, step, glide,” Lexa repeated. She stared at her feet, took two steps and allowed herself to roll. Her smile made her cheeks hurt but it was impossible to stop it. Slowly, Prez led her onto the rink. Prez loosened his grip on Lexa’s hands. Her grip immediately tightened. “You better not let me go.” Ignoring Lexa’s threat, Prez let go of her hands and turned around to skate next to her. Lexa nervously continued, staring at her feet. She began to fall but Prez placed a hand on the small of her back helping her regain her balance. Lexa reached out to hold on to the rail that surrounded the rink.
“Don’t hold on to that,” Prez said. “That’ll just ruin it.”
“I don’t want to fall,” Lexa said.
“Don’t worry. I’ll catch you.” Lexa cautiously let go of the rail and kept a hand hovering near Prez’s arm. She envied the kids much younger than her zooming around the rink. She began to get the hang of it, speeding up a bit each time she went around the rink.
Prez easily kept pace, following smiling at her overjoyed expression. “How fast can you go?” Lexa asked.
“Wanna see?” Lexa nodded and Prez took off. As he came back towards Lexa a kid, speeding around the rink and unable to stop himself, bumped into Lexa. She began falling, flailing her arms to find her balance. Prez pressed his legs to go faster and grabbed Lexa right before she hit the ground. He held Lexa by the small of her back and they were posed like two dancers performing a simple dip. They both were breathing heavily with wide eyed expressions. Lexa held Prez’s shirt in a death grip, staring at Prez before bursting into hysterical giggles.
Prez helped Lexa up into a standing position and led her off the rink, still cackling like a hyena. They sat down on the bench holding their shoes and Lexa punched Prez’s arm as her giggles died down.
Prez pouted and rubbed his arm. “What was that for?”
“I almost fell!”
“But you didn’t.”
“Too close of a call.” Prez pinched Lexa’s arm.
“Ow! Why’d you do that?”
“For punching me.”
“You deserved it!”
“I kept my promise and I caught you, didn’t I?” Lexa squinted and stuck out her tongue at Prez. Prez laughed. “I think that’s enough skating for today.” Lexa glanced at her phone.
“But, it’s only 8. I don’t have to be home ‘til 11.”
“I know that,” Prez said while taking off his skates. “That’s why there’s more than one part to this date.” Lexa began untying her skates.
“What? How many parts?”
“That’s for me to know, and you to find out.” Prez took both pairs of skates back to the man behind the counter. Lexa hurriedly put her own shoes back on. She stood and appreciated not having wheels under her feet. She caught up with Prez and followed behind him like a baby duck back to his car.

“I don’t know Hunter, maybe I should just stay here. This is your family, not mine.” I was standing outside the car, feeling Hunter pull on my arm to bring me to the house.
“You’re basically family too.”
“I’m sure your sister hates me.”
“She doesn’t hate you. She just barely tolerates you. And I already told her you were coming. So move, we’re already late.” I rubbed my head, still unused to the lack of hair there. “I did not take time out of my day to fix you up for you to waste it being petty.”
“I just don’t want to ruin the shower for you.”
“You won’t. If anything you’ll make me look stupid for saying you would show up and then you don’t.”
“I rather not.” Hunter let go of me and stomped her foot.
“Elijah Thompson, we are going to this baby shower. You can’t back out last minute so start walking!” I stayed silent and considered my options. Hunter’s sister, Brianne, can be pretty vicious and mean, especially to me. She made sure I knew that Hunter could do without me in her life. But Hunter’s voice was on the edge of pleading and aggravated. She gave a heavy sigh. “Brianne made brownies.” I began walking towards the door. Brianne was a pain in the ass but damn she can bake.

“This is super cliché,” Lexa laughed as Prez pulled up to Minnie’s Mini Golf Course. Prez shrugged.
“Well, I figured since you’re from an all-girls school, you need a little more cheesiness in your life. So here we are.”
“And at night.” Prez shrugged.
“What can I say? I think of everything.”
“Well, prepare to be beat. I’m a mini golf expert.” Lexa hopped out the car as soon as Prez parked and it only took Prez a few strides to catch up to her. Lexa strolled towards a rainbow colored booth sitting at the course’s entrance. In the booth was a plump lady with round glasses and cheerful pink cheeks. She made you feel welcome with her contagious smile but gave of the impression of having more than one cat at home keeping her company.
“Hi there Prez! Who’s your friend?” the woman asked with a wink in Prez’s direction.
“Hey Minnie. This is Lexa. Lexa, this is Minnie. She owns the course.”
“Hello,” Lexa greeted with a wide grin that was met with a smile twice the size of her own. “You have a very sweet smile.”
“Oh! Why thank you! Aren’t you just an adorable little sugar cookie?!” Minnie laughed loud and heartily with small snorts in between. Lexa felt her eye involuntarily become wide with shock that the short woman could make such a sound. She laughed lightly in return. “What can I for you two tonight?”
“Two tickets inside would be nice,” Lexa said bouncing on her toes.
“A little anxious, I see.” Minnie pulled out two pink tickets from a small shoebox and two golf clubs, one neon green and one neon pink and handed them to Lexa. Prez reached for his wallet. “Don’t worry about it Prez. These are on the house.” Prez rolled his eyes and smiled at Minnie.
“You are going to go out of business if you keep giving out free tickets,” Prez warned.
“I only give you free tickets from time to time.”
“You mean every time I’m here. Just let me pay, Minnie.”
“How about I make you a deal? I’ll stop giving you free tickets when your dad stops saving my Lily out of trees, which is definitely a long time from now.”
“That’s his job, Minnie.”
“Oh hush, you sound just like him. Just go and enjoy yourself.” Prez laughed and began walking towards the entrance of the golf course, Lexa in step with him and passed him the pink golf club.
“Thanks Minnie!”
“What’s your dad do?” Lexa asked as the made their way to the first hole.
“He’s a firefighter.” Prez stood a bit taller. “My mom’s a cop.”
“Wow, that’s cool.”
“Yeah, they are. I call them the dynamic duo. Only real downside is the huge shoes I have to fill but I think I’m doing pretty good so far.”
“I guess. I mean, you’re not as cool as a firefighter or a cop, saving people and stuff. You need to get your game up,” Lexa joked and lined up her ball. She took her time concentrating and easily getting a hole in one.
“What do your parents do?” Prez asked as he lined up his ball.
“My mom is a nurse and my dad is holding on to the dream of becoming a well-known writer.” Prez, less patient than Lexa, quickly hit his ball and missed the hole several times before finally getting it in.
“Doesn’t sound like you think it’ll happen,” Prez commented as they carried on to the next hole. Lexa shrugged.
“He has a few published books and they’re good but they’re not exactly the type of things that catch on with many people.”
“What does he write about?” Lexa sighed.
“The existence of life outside of Earth,” Lexa said in a voice mocking her father’s.
“Oh, so like science fiction.”
“Like him trying to connect weird things that happen in the world to aliens and corrupt government.”
“Oh,” Prez said quietly.
“He writes a lot of other stuff that’s really good, the stuff that’s published, but one day he decided he wasn’t going to send anymore of his murder mysteries or romance stuff to his publisher anymore. That’s why we moved. My mom thought a change of environment might help.”
“Does it?”
“A little bit,” Lexa was effortlessly winning and Prez was struggling to get the ball in each hole.
“How are you so good at this?” Prez asked at the 6th hole.
“I told you, I’m an expert. Never underestimate an expert.”
“Yeah, yeah. Just cut me some slack here.”
“Sure, it’s not like you even have a chance of redeeming yourself.”
“Why do you have to be so mean about it?” Lexa shrugged.
“I’m a competitive soul.” Lexa went up to putt and right before her swing, Prez made a loud annoying sound like a giant alarm clock. Lexa swung and missed a whole that should’ve been easy. She turned on Prez who looked up at the sky innocently. “Are you serious?” Prez looked at Lexa confused.
“What are you talking about?”
“Don’t be a sore loser Prez.” Lexa went to her ball and went to swing again when Prez screeched loudly once again ruining her shot. Lexa glared at Prez. “You better stop that,” she warned. Prez looked at her blankly and shrugged. Lexa continued to try to get her ball into the hole and each time Prez came up with a new noise to distract her. “That’s it!” Lexa dropped her golf club. “I’m done!” Prez raised fists of victory in the air.
“Victory! Winner by default!” Prez did a couple bows in Lexa’s direction and she failed to hide her amusement. “Thank you, thank all of you. You’re too kind.” Lexa giggled.
“Shut up and take me home.” Prez picked up Lexa’s golf club and began walking with her out of the course.
“There’s still one more part of this date,” Prez informed Lexa who looked at her phone.
“It’s almost 11.”
“Don’t worry, I’ll get you home on time.”
“You two have fun?” Minnie asked as she took the clubs from Prez.
“We had so much fun it should be illegal,” Prez said. “We have a curfew to make so we’ll see you later Minnie.” Lexa walked ahead. Minnie grabbed Prez’s sleeve.
“I like her,” she whispered to Prez.
“Me too. She’s pretty great,” he said as he walked off.
“Don’t mess it up!” Prez smiled and ran to open Lexa’s car door.

“Before we go inside, remember to smile, be nice, introduce yourself as my close friend so no one will be too uncomfortable, don’t argue with Brianne, talk to at least 2 people before heading towards the sweets and please, if you eat one desert you have to eat at least one of each because no doubt Brianne and Jimmy are keeping a tally of who’s desserts are more popular.” I smirked and nodded my head.
“Sounds easy enough, I’ll be on my best behavior. Is Kiri here?”
“Yes, why?”
“She likes to be my eyes. And since I’m around a whole bunch of people, it’d be nice to have her help me stay out of the way.”
“Oh! I forgot! You make your way around my apartment so easily it just slipped my mind! Dang it!”
“Hunter, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”
“Okay. You ready?” I nodded and Hunter knocked on the door. She was greeted by a loud excited shriek that made me cringe.
“Auntie Hunt! I’m so happy you could come!”
“Oh, Serena I wouldn’t miss this. I would like you to meet my good friend, Elijah.”
“You can call me Eli.” I held out a hand and instead a body slammed into me and arms wrapped around me.
“Welcome!” I was released. Serena lowered her voice “I got to know. Are you two good friends or are you really good friends?” Hunter laughed.
“Serena, stop looking for gossip and let us in.”
“Oh you’re no fun.” Hunter grabbed my hand and led me inside.
“Mr. Eli!” I heard Kiri call out. She tugged on my shirt. “Get lower.” I squatted down and I felt Kiri put something on my face. I reached up and felt the glasses. “Daddy and I got you sunglasses so people know you’re blind!” Kiri whispered. “It was my idea and I picked the glasses the only thing Daddy did was pull out his wallet.” I chuckled.
“Thank you very much. Now I have a mission for you.”
“Agent Kiri, reporting for duty.”
“I need you to be my eyes and help me talk to people, but more importantly, I need you to help me get to your Aunt Brianne’s brownies.”
“I am ready to help, on one condition.”
“What’s that?”
“I want a cut of whatever we score off that snack table.” I held out my hand and put her small, soft hand in mine.
“Deal.” We shook hands and I stood. “You’re grandma is making me talk to at least two people first.”
“Elijah Thomas!” A loud, high pitch, nasally voice that makes me want to eat bricks, called out for me and I turned towards the voice.
“Brianne!” I feigned joy.
“Don’t act happy to see me.” I stopped smiling and forced a frown. “That’s better. I won’t chew you out the way I want to because Hunter wants me to be nice. But, I want you to know you are dog s*** on the shoe of the human race and wearing sunglasses indoors make you look like a conceited asshole.”
“Aw, I’ve missed you too Brianne.”
“He’s blind!” Kiri piped up.
“I know that sweetheart,” Brianne’s voice turned from spoiled milk to smooth cream while she talked to Kiri.
“I got him the glasses!”
“Really? That’s sweet of you.”
“Why are you being mean to Mr. Eli?” Brianne hesitated.
“This is how we joke around with each other.”
“You two know each other?” I nodded. “How?”
“You’re grandma introduced us to each other a long time ago,” I said. “Me and Brianne became quick friends. Right, Brianne?”
“Right,” Brianne said. “Well, I have better people to go waste my time on. Have fun you two.”
“Kiri,” I called.
“Yes?”
“Is your Aunt fat?” Kiri stayed quiet. “Kiri?”
“Daddy says if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” I laughed.
“Your dad is a smart man. Alright, Agent Kiri. One more person and then we can go to the snack table.”
“Hmmm. We should talk to someone interesting.”
“What about Sonya? Is she here?” Kiri sighed.
“Yeah, she’s here.”
“What was that? I thought you liked Sonya.”
“I like Sonya,” Kiri said.  “I just wish she would stop trying to be my mom.” I squatted down to Kiri’s level. I squatted down.
“What’s it mean to be a mom?”
“A mom is someone who cares, nurtures and protects you,” Kiri said in a matter of fact tone.
“Does Sonya care about you?”
“Yes.”
“Does she buy you things and make you cupcakes?”
“Yes.”
“Does she try to protect you?”
“I guess.”
“I don’t know Kiri. That sounds like a mom to me.” 
“She is not my mom!” Kiri stomped her foot. “A mom has a baby that comes from her stomach and last time I checked, I did not come from Sonya’s stomach! She can’t keep pretending she’s my mom because she’s not.”
“Kiri,” I said. “Sonya, by your definition, is your mom. She’s not trying to replace your birth mom. She just wants to prove to you that she cares about you and wants to be there for you.” Kiri was quiet. “You know what I want you to do?”
“No,” Kiri mumbled.
“I want you to be a little nicer to Sonya. Just a little. I want you to pretend that she is your mom. Just- for a month. That is your mission. Can you do that?”
“Agent Kiri, can do anything.” I nodded my head.
“Good. But you have to stamp it.”
“Stamp it?”
“Yeah. It’s something I used to do with my cousins when we made promises. First you lock your pinkies together. And then you press your thumbs together while keeping your pinkies locked together.” Kiri pressed her small thumb to mine. “Our promise is now sealed and you can’t break your promise no matter what. Now let’s go talk to Sonya.”
“Sonya!” Kiri’s small voice called. Kiri dragged me along a few feet. “Hi, Sonya.”
“Hey Kiri,” Sonya said. “Hello Eli.”
“Eli wanted to talk to you.”
“Oh? About what?” I cleared my throat awkwardly. I hadn’t thought about this part.
“Uh…” I shifted my feet. “Kiri says you cut your hair for one of your students. That’s awfully nice of you.”
“Oh. It was no big deal.”
“What grade do you teach?”
“I teach fourth grade.”
“Interesting.”
“Yep.”
“Awkward,” Kiri muttered.
“So... Sonya. I heard you make some damn good cupcakes. Is that how you met Jim?”
“Yes, actually. We both had made deserts for a school bake sale. I put my heart and soul into these strawberry cupcakes with little strawberries on top. But of course Jim waltzes in with every dessert known to man. The kids and parents loved it! We made the most money at that fundraiser than we had in years!”
“Get to the part where you met my dad, Sonya,” Kiri said.
“Right. Wait. You want to hear that part?” Sonya asked confused.
“Yes! Come on tell the story.” I smiled a little.
“Ok then. Well, I was sitting at my little table with my cupcakes that had been outshined and forgotten when Jim walked over with Kiri and asked to buy one. I was a little bitter and asked him why he would want one of my boring little cupcakes. And he said to me: ‘because I can tell you put a lot of time and effort into making them’. So I sold him two cupcakes for and Kiri says ‘this is better than your cupcakes daddy!’ and he buys her another cupcake. He hands me his card and he says ‘call me if you ever want to share recipes’. And well, you can guess what happened from there.”
“Cupcakes? Better than Jim’s?”
“It’s unbelievable but it’s true,” Kiri vouched.
“I made a few. They’re on the snack table next to Jim’s cookies.”
“I believe that is our cue to hit the snack table Agent Kiri.”
“Affirmative,” Kiri agreed. “Sonya, do you think tonight you could come and read a few pages of my new book with me before bed? It’s part E through H of the Encyclopedia series.”
“You want me to read with you?” Sonya asked.
“You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”
“No! Of course I will! I mean, I’d like to do that. Yes.”
“Don’t make it weird Sonya.”
“Sorry. I was just a little surprised.”
“Later, Sonya. To the snack table!” Kiri dragged my arm and pulled me away from Sonya towards all the scents I had become familiar with. 
“I bet you I can guess everything that’s at the table,” I said.
“Impossible!”
“As I name them, grab two of each one and then we’ll sneak off somewhere so no one can interrupt us.”
“Ok. I’m ready.” I sniffed the air and sugar and chocolate filled my nose.
“There’s brownies and sugar cookies.”
“Yes and yes.” I whiffed an apples scent.
“Is that apple pie?”
“Yes.”
“I also smell strawberry…strawberry cake?”
“Cupcakes.”
“Close enough and last but not least.” I took a big whiff of air. “Mm. Peach cobbler.”
“Wow! How did you do that?”
“Years of practice my dear. Are your hands full?”
“Yeah.”
“Okay. I’m going to follow your footsteps. Lead the way.” Kiri began walking and I listened intently to the small footsteps over the sounds of conversation.
“Here.” Kiri handed me a plate and pulled my arm so that I was sitting in a chair.
“Where are we?”
“By the kitchen. Granny doesn’t come over here so that no one asks her to cook.” I laughed.
“Smart spot Agent. Let’s feast.” My hands touched what only could be Brianne’s brownies. I bit into and gave an involuntary moan. Brianna always added something to her brownies I could never put my finger on. I used to think it was cinnamon but now I was assuming nutmeg.
“Can you please just drop it, Brianne?” I heard Hunter’s voice say behind me.
“I’ll drop it after you tell me why you haven’t told him yet?” Brianne said.
“It’s been years and I’m just now seeing him again.”
“He needs to know Hunter. Soon.”
“And I’ll tell him. It’s just Eli’s been through a lot and I don’t want to add too much to his plate just yet.”
“It would be better to tell him sooner rather than later. You know he’s going to be pissed that you kept it from him this long.”
“Kiri,” I whispered. “Hold my plate for me.” I stood and followed the voices. “Kept what from me?” I asked.
“Eli!” Hunter jumped. “How long were you listening?”
“Long enough to know there’s something you’re keeping from me. What is it?”
“It’s nothing you need to worry yourself about.”
“Brianne?” I turned to Brianne hoping for her blatant honesty.
“Sorry Eli. But I’ve been sworn to secrecy,” Brianne said.
“Hunter. If this something I need to know, I want you to tell me now.” I heard a sigh.
“Uh,” Hunter started. “Well, Eli, some time ago, I found out that—“
“Everyone please come to the living room!” Serena’s shrill voice interrupted. A small hand grabbed mine.
“Come on Mr. Eli!” Kiri dragged me away from Hunter to the living room.
“Okay everyone,” Serena began. “Dylan and I know you all are anxious to find out if our baby is a boy or a girl. Now is the time of revelation. So Dylan, honey, if you would do the honors.”
“We’re having a girl,” a male voice announced. “We’re naming her Kaia.”
“Kaia is Greek for ‘pure’,” Serena added. “We chose that name because what’s more pure than a baby?” The room filled with light applause and I joined in. “Okay, enjoy the rest of the shower everyone and thank you all for coming.
“Eli,” Jim placed a hand on my shoulder. “Some of the guys are sneaking off to the backyard for a couple beers. Want to tag along?”
“Hey Kiri, you mind hanging out in here?” I asked.
“No, it’s fine. I’ll go bother Sonya,” Kiri said. My side felt cold once Kiri left.
“Ok. So uh, how do I lead you there without this being awkward?” Jim asked, obviously uncomfortable with the idea of holding my hand or arm. I chuckled.
“Just walk Jim, I’ll follow you.” Jim’s footsteps were heavier than Kiri’s and much easier to hear. I heard a door slide open and I followed Jim’s footsteps outside. Jim put his hand on my shoulder and guided me to a chair.
“Guys, this is my mom’s friend Eli. Eli, out here we have Dylan, Serena’s husband, Matthew and Mitchell, my twin cousins.” Each man greeted me with a ‘hey’ as their names were called.
“You want a beer, Eli?” Dylan’s voice asked. It was dangerously deep.
“No, thanks. I’m 24 years sober.”
“Any reason why?” Matthew or Mitchell asked. I shook my head.
“I just can’t handle my liquor as well as I thought I could,” I admitted with a laugh.
“I can respect that,” Dylan said. “We got Coke. You want a coke?”
“I’m going to say yes and hope you’re talking about the drink.” A cold bottle was placed in my hand and I opened it and took a swig.
“So Eli, what do you do?” Matthew (or Mitchell) asked.
“Sleep,” I answered. They all laughed.
“No. I mean as an occupation. What do you do for work?” Jim grunted and I took another swig of my Coke.
“I was homeless for a while,” I answered. “Hunter took me in a week or so ago.” I was met with an uncomfortable silence.
“I’m sorry.”
“I’m not ashamed. I made some bad life choices and I got what was coming to me.”
“What life choices exactly?”
“Damn it Mitchell. It’s none of your business,” Matthew chastised. Matthew’s voice was a tinge deeper than Mitchell’s and Mitchell shared Brianne’s nasal voice slightly.
“It’s fine. I was an idiot. I started drinking a lot, got into a lot of fights and started a lot of fights, skipped classes and started failing school. The dumbest decision I ever made was kicking Hunter to the curb. I told her I was better off without her. That was the stupidest s*** I have ever done.”
“How do you and Aunt Hunt know each other exactly?” Mitchell asked.
“Damn it Mitchell!” I heard Jim and Dylan chuckling.
“What? I’m curious. You can’t blame me, I’m a scientist. We crave explanation.”
“It’s alright,” I jumped in. “Believe it or not, me and Hunter were the hottest couple back in high school.” I heard coughing.
“Hold on there. You and Ma dated?” Jim asked. I nodded.
“Right up until our senior year in college. Then I screwed everything up.”
“Man, what happened?” Dylan asked. “I mean after being together that long, what went wrong?” I rubbed my head and took another swig of my Coke.
“Well, I had been drinking since my sophomore year but after turning 21 and being able to buy it myself, I started drinking like it was a religion. I mean, I don’t remember a day when I didn’t wake up hung over, except the mornings after date night. Hunter refused to let me drink on date night. Then one day, date night, I said ‘f*** it’ and got real drunk right before going to pick up Hunter from her dorm. She was pissed!”
I gave a sad chuckle. “She was yelling and she told me ‘you promised not to do this. You said you loved me too much to do this.’ And I was so drunk that I couldn’t stop laughing. I told her ‘sweetheart. I love you when your mouth is shut and when you’re in my bed’. Dumbest thing I ever let come out my mouth, and I’ve said some dumb s***. She said she hated me and wanted nothing more to do with me and as she walked off, I stood on her dorm’s steps screaming. I told her good riddance and that I didn’t need her because there are tons of girls dying for a piece of me.”
I laughed and wiped a tear that had escaped my eye. “I was so full of myself. I guess that’s why I decided it’d be a good idea to drive to the nearest bar. I don’t know how I managed to get there. But I was there and throwing back drinks like crazy. I didn’t care what they were. Then Hunter was sitting next to me. The bartender usually called her when I had too many and refused to leave. She wanted to take me home. She said I needed to get to bed and in the morning, we needed to talk. I told her ‘I don’t need you. I don’t need anyone. I’ll go home when I feel like and I‘ll get myself there.’ She told me to take care of myself and she left. She just left! I was so pissed! She just left me without a second thought! I look around and I caught this guy staring at me. So I walked over to him, got right in his face and asked him if we had a problem.”
I wanted to end the story but my words wouldn’t stop coming out. “He performed some kind of black magic because when he stood he was 3 times bigger than how he seemed sitting. We got into it and a couple of his friends tried to come in and jump me but I was kicking all of their asses. Then one of those bastards hit me right in the face with a beer bottle. Beer and shards of glass got into my eyes and I was yelling just about every cuss word under the sun. I went to the hospital, they tried to save at least one of my eyes but I kept rubbing them and scratched them up and ended up doing permanent damage. The doctor gave me these stupid sunglasses that I never wore, I lost my phone, I kept getting in fights until I got kicked out of school and ended up on my mom’s couch. I was there for 7 years until she kicked the bucket. None of my family wanted to take me in because I couldn’t find or keep a job being an arrogant blind man with no skills. I inherited some money from my mom, invested that on booze within a year, lost the house and was on the streets. I wandered aimlessly until I found an alley that smelled like stale bread and potpourri, which was way better than anywhere else I had been. I spent my last dollar on a pack of pencils, sold them for a quarter each and started buying a pastry or two from Jim every day.” I stopped talking. My lips ran out of words. I felt acid burning my face and frantically wiped it off.
“Man, that’s rough,” Jim broke the silence.
“Damn. I would be sober after all that, too,” Dylan said with an uncomfortable laugh.
“I don’t even want to drink anymore,” Matthew said. I laughed.
“Just be smart when you drink and don’t ever drive a woman away for seeing your flaws. Women can spot all your flaws before you even notice you have one.” I laughed.

“This is probably the best thing I’ve ever eaten in my entire life,” Lexa said through a mouthful of cherry chocolate chip ice cream.
“I told you it’s amazing. You’re going to realize that basically everything I say is true. Like when I said I would get you home on time,” Prez responded. Lexa and Prez were sitting in Prez’s car parked in Lexa’s driveway.
“I have to hand it to you, this was a good first date.”
“Date?” Prez looked at Lexa. “I thought we were just hanging out, you know, as friends?” Lexa’s cheeks heated up and she stared down at her cup of ice cream, poking at it with her spoon.
“Oh. I uh, I just assumed that—“
“I’m joking,” Prez laughed. Lexa punched his arm playfully. “Ok, ok. I deserved that one.”
“That was so mean! I think my heart stopped.”
“If it did, I will gladly give you CPR and bring you back.”
“You know what? I’m taking my comment back. This was a terrible date.”
“Aw, what? Don’t do that. I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you on our second date.”
“Who said anything about a second date?”
“It’s not funny when you do it.” Lexa shrugged and placed a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth.
“Who said I was trying to be funny?”
“That smile you keep trying to hide.” Lexa looked down at her ice cream cursing her lips for giving her away. Prez placed his hand under her chin and gently directed Lexa’s face to look at him. “Stop that. If you keep looking away, I’ll miss out on seeing that beautiful face of yours.” Lexa’s face heated up and Prez stroked her cheek with his thumb. They sat in silence for a moment, staring, ice cream forgotten and melting. Prez leaned closer and Lexa’s eyes widened.
She snickered. Prez stopped and pulled his hand away. Lexa’s laugh grew until she was laughing hysterically unable to stop herself and Prez looked away. “I’m sorry,” Lexa choked out in between giggles. “I- I just got really nervous.” Prez shrugged a shoulder and stared ahead. Lexa’s calmed her giggles. “Prez, I’m really sorry. That wasn’t because of you. Well, it was but it wasn’t at you.”
“It’s fine.” Prez gave a half- hearted smile and finished out his partially melted ice cream.
“No, really. I don’t know a lot of guys and this was my first time on a date and everything, and I freaked out a bit. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”
“Wait. This is your first date? Ever?” Lexa nodded her head. “Have you had your first kiss?” Lexa shook her head and looked down at her lap. Prez gently pulled her head back up. He smiled at her. “That’s ok. There’s no rush.” Lexa’s lip curled into a small smile. “Come on, it’s close to 11.” Prez got out the car and opened Lexa’s door for her. He walked her to front of her house.
“I really did have a lot of fun today,” Lexa said.
“I know,” Prez said. “That smile keeps giving you away. I’m a pretty fun guy.”
“I don’t know, that’s debatable.” Prez laughed. “And I think I might take you up on that offer for a second date.”
“I’ll start planning.”
“So I guess this is goodnight.”
“Yeah, I guess so.” Lexa held out her fist. Prez laughed and bumped his fist into hers. Lexa wiggled her fingers and mimicked an explosion noise. Prez rolled his eyes and chuckled.
“Goodnight, Prez.”
“Goodnight, Lexa.” Lexa waited until Prez got into his car before going inside her house. She leaned against the front door, biting her bottom lip, unashamed of the grin that ambushed her face.
“You fist bumped? Are you for real? Where was the lip action?” Lexa’s annoying sibling yelled from upstairs.
“Brent, stop stalking me and go to bed!”

Jim and Kiri fell asleep as soon as they got in the car. Jim had been drinking, so I was responsible for getting us home. Kiri was attached to me for a majority of the time at the shower but I didn’t mind it. It was nice whenever Kiri decided to give me the time of day. We have an okay relationship. We joke around and sometimes watch movies together. But today was a day to be marked down in history; because for Kiri to ask me to read a book (even if it is the Encyclopedia) with her was a whole new level. I used to offer read with her but she kept rejecting so I stopped asking. Maybe after a day of celebrating a new baby, she is little fonder of me.
It’s a slap to the face when Kiri reminds me that I’m not her mother. It’s a brutal reality check. I love Kiri and I care about her as if she was my own flesh and blood. I forget, sometimes, that she’s not. Her mother has passed away and I can never replace her, nor do I want to. I just want to see me as a motherly figure or at least like me.
I pulled up to our cottage and shook Jim. “Jim, wake up and go inside.” Jim grunted and slowly got out the car. I got out and opened the door to the backseat. I unbuckled Kiri and picked her up. I carried her inside to her room. I pulled back her sheets and gently placed her in her bed. I took off her shoes and covered her with her blanket. I picked up her teddy bear and placed him next to her. She grabbed him and snuggled her face onto her pillow.
I went across the hall to my room and found Jim crashed on the bed with his face in the blankets. I sighed and untied his shoes and took them off. I rolled him onto his side of the bed and headed to the bathroom door in our bedroom (after the first few kicks to the face, I learned better than to move Jim too much while he’s sleeping).
I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth. I got into my pajamas and headed to bed. There was a small knock on the door and Kiri pushed the door open. She stood at the entrance of my bedroom, in her pajamas, rubbing her eye and holding her teddy bear. “Sonya. You said you would read with me,” Kiri whined.
“Oh.” I was surprised she got up for a bedtime story. “Right. Ok. Come on.” I walked Kiri back across the hall and she climbed back into bed. I grabbed the giant book off of Kiri’s small light blue desk. I sat on Kiri’s bed and opened up the book where at kitten bookmark was sticking out.
“I’m on elephants,” Kiri yawned. I nodded and began reading. The words were bland and boring and it was hard not to read in monotone. None of the information actually stuck with me. Kiri, on the other hand, even though she was tired, would comment on the information as intriguing or strange. My eyes got heavy and I began yawning between sections. Soon, I no longer saw words.
In the morning, I woke up in Kiri’s bed with her teddy bear in my hands. Kiri and the encyclopedia were missing. I got up and went to brush my teeth, hating the taste of sleep on my tongue. “Hey, sleepy head,” Jim greeted. He was dressed and putting on shoes.
“Where are you going?” I stretched and whimpered a little when I felt my back crack.
“Kiri wanted to go to the library before I had to go to the bakery.”
“I can take her!” My offer must have come out more enthusiastic than I intended because Jim jumped.
“Sounds good. Just ask Kiri if that’s alright with her.”
“It is,” Kiri piped up from behind me. I jumped. “I don’t mind if Sonya takes me to the library. I’ll wait for you in the living room.” Kiri walked off and I saw Jim’s surprised expression.
“I know right! She’s being extremely nice! Get this: yesterday, she asked me to read to her!” I giggled and skipped into the bathroom.
“I told you she just needed time.” Jim came into the bathroom and kissed my cheek. “I’ll see you later.” I brushed my teeth, got dressed and walked into the dining kitchen to find blueberry muffins.
“Okay, Kiri. I’m ready” I said between bites. Kiri headed to the front door and I followed. We got in the car, and Kiri buckled up and continued reading her encyclopedia. I knew better than to turn on the radio while Kiri was reading (she throws huge temper tantrums) so I drove in silence. Kiri closed her book with as if handling an injured bird.
“Do you want to turn on the radio, Sonya?” Something was off.
“Alright Kiri, what’s going on? Are you going to gain my trust and then murder me in my sleep or something?”
“No. Why would you say that?”
“You’ve been really nice to me, too nice in fact. So what’s up?”
“I’m treating the same as I usually do.”
“Really? With the reading at night, letting me drive you to your sanctuary and now music during strict reading time? That’s normal?” Kiri nodded. “Okay, who are you and what have you done with the real Kiri?”
“Sonya, can’t I just show you some kindness without being questioned?”
“No. Now spill it.” Kiri sighed.
“I’m on a mission,” Kiri admitted.
“Ah. Ok. What’s the mission?”
“To treat you like a mom for a month.”
“Oh.” I was disappointed. I knew something was off but it hurt to hear Kiri’s kindness wasn’t genuine. “Did your dad assign this mission?”
“No. Mr. Eli did.”
“Of course,” I muttered through clenched teeth. Eli was on Kiri’s good side instantly. I hate to admit it but I was jealous. I hated that I had to work for Kiri’s affection and he just got it, no questions asked.
“Why did you say it like that?”
“Like what?”
“Like you don’t like Mr. Eli.” I sighed.
“I’ll be honest with you, Kiri. I don’t get it. When around Mr. Eli you immediately open up and laugh and smile and you’re happy, while I’m struggling over here to get you to like me.”
“I like you.”
“Yeah. Just not in the way I want you to,” I whispered low enough that Kiri didn’t hear. “I guess I’m just a little jealous of how close you two are.”
“He doesn’t have any friends, Sonya,” Kiri’s tone made me feel like a lectured child. “He’s blind and adjusting to new environments and it’s clear he needs a friend. Everyone you meet likes you and Mr. Eli has been alone for a long time. Also, he didn’t marry my dad.” I dragged my teeth across my bottom lip.
“Kiri, I just want you to care.” Kiri opened her mouth to speak and then closed it. “I’m not your mom, I know that. But I want you to at least pretend that I am a part of your family and not just for a month.” Kiri stared straight ahead, speechless. I let out an aggravated groan and made a turn away from the library.
“Where are we going?” Kiri asked worried.
“To my sanctuary.” I turned and parked in the parking lot of my favorite café. “Come on, get out the car.” I walked inside the café, Kiri’s small feet struggling to keep up. I sat in my usual booth and Kiri sat across from me. I put my head in my hands and looked up at Kiri. “This is my hiding place,” I said. She slowly nodded her head and a waiter came to our booth.
“Hey Sonya. What can I get for you today?” I faked a smile.
“Paul! I am in desperate need of 2 chamomile teas and don’t be stingy in bringing us extra sugar.”
“Alright. And who is little friend?”
“I’m her daughter,” Kiri piped up before I could speak.
“Oh! I didn’t know you had a daughter! 2 teas on the house for our number 1 customer and her daughter.” Paul walked away and I squinted at Kiri.
“What game are you playing?” I said.
“By definition Sonya, you are my mom. So that would make me your daughter.” I couldn’t help but to break down. I was sobbing and I felt Kiri slide in to sit next to me. She hugged me, which only made me cry harder. Paul quietly placed our tea on the table and I immediately grabbed one of the cups. I sipped it slowly, letting it pacify me. Kiri slid back into her side of the booth and sipped her own tea. She made an approving face and I laughed.
“Sorry, I don’t know where that came from,” I laughed awkwardly and wiped my face with a napkin. I sighed at the black marks on it.
“Sonya. I have a question.”
“What’s up?”
“When you marry someone that means you love them a lot, right?”
“Yes.”
“Daddy used to be married to my mother. He said he loved her more than anything. But now, he’s married to you. Does he not love my mom anymore?” I shook my head.
“No, no. How do I explain this? You love you granny and your dad, right?” Kiri nodded. “Do you love one more than the other?” Kiri took a second before shaking her head. “It’s kind of like that. I am not trying to replace your mother, Kiri. No matter what, she is still your mom.” Kiri nodded solemnly.
“Sometimes, you remind me of her. Like when we watch movies and get me out of trouble. She used to read to me too.” Kiri opened sugar packets to pour into her tea, absentmindedly stirring the drink. I was viciously fighting back tears. “And she bought Mr. Teddy for me for when we read scary stories… I don’t try to be mean to you, I even tell people you’re my mom. But sometimes you’re so similar to her that it’s frustrating.”
“I understand.”
“You know what I don’t understand?”
“What’s that?”
“Why do you care so much? Why is it so important that I like you?”
“Because you remind me of someone too.”
“Who?” I blinked back tears and cleared my throat.
“Kiri can you keep a secret?” She nodded and I smiled.
“Well, a long time ago before I met your dad, I was married to someone else.” Kiri’s eyes were wide and she took a sip of her tea. “I loved him a lot and we decided to have a baby. She was a girl and I loved buying her these little booties.” I wiped away a tear. “Her name was Georgia Bella Robins. She was the prettiest baby I had ever seen. But she was born a month too early and because of that, she had a lot of issues breathing.” I took a deep breath and a sip of my tea before continuing. “After staying at the hospital for a while, the doctors said it would be okay for her to come home. On her first night home, I placed her in her crib and I was scared to leave her but eventually, my husband convinced me to go to sleep.” I choked on tears.
“You don’t have to talk about it,” Kiri comforted. But I fought against my tight throat.
“No. It’s Ok, I’m Ok.” I cleared my throat. “In the morning, I went to check on her and I was so happy, my baby’s first night home. But when I picked her up, she wasn’t breathing. We rushed her off to the hospital but there was nothing they could do. I remember wanting to beat up every doctor in that hospital. After Georgia’s funeral, my husband wasn’t the same and one day, I came home and he was putting suitcases in the trunk of his car. He told me that losing Georgia made him realize he didn’t love me as much as he thought he did. Then he drove away and I never heard from him again.” I wiped the tears off my face. “Georgia was only a year older than you and I guess that’s why it’s so important that you like me. You’re my second chance to be a mom.”
“Does Daddy know this?” I shook my head and held my tea cup in a death grip.
“No. I haven’t told him. I probably shouldn’t have even told you. Jesus, I’m so pathetic. Breaking down and venting to a six year old. God.” Kiri placed her hand on mine.
“I don’t think you’re pathetic.” I chuckled.
“Come on, let’s go to the library before I started bawling again.”


Lexa enjoyed her townhouse apartment, it was just the right size and had stairs making her home feel like a peaceful, cozy house. But today was not a peaceful day. “So Prez will be here soon. Can everyone promise me to be on their best behavior?” Lexa had sat her family down at the dining room table to ensure that the night’s dinner would be successful.
“I can’t,” Brent said.
“Look here, Brent. I’m supportive of the whole wanting to be a boy thing you’re going through right now so you have no choice but to be nice and somewhat mannered.”
“Maybe I don’t want to.”
“You’re going to or I’ll tell the whole school your real name.” Brent narrowed her eyes at her older sister.
“You wouldn’t dare.”
“You want to test that theory?”
“What’s the big deal? You have a beautiful name,” their mother interjected.
“Exactly. It ruins my bad boy image.”
“But, sweetheart, you’re not bad or a boy.”
“Ugh! You just don’t understand!” Brent crossed her arms in frustration and Lexa shook her head at her mom signaling her not to continue the conversation.
“Are you going to be nice or not?”  Lexa asked Brent.
“Fine. But I’m not wearing that dress you picked out.”
“I don’t care. Just don’t look trashy. Nice pants and a shirt that has at least one button.” Brent left the table to find an outfit.
“Now, you two.” Lexa focused in on her parents. “No doubt you are preparing something wonderful, Mama. And I’m sure Daddy has his favorite threats picked out. But when making conversation, certain things shall be refrained such as anything from the hospital, especially STD’s and blood.”
“I just want to keep you kids educated,” Lexa’s mom protested.
“That’s why they built schools Mama. Now Daddy, you may talk about your books but please not a single word of aliens trying to overthrow the government. Just for tonight, in order for us to have a nice Thanksgiving dinner and to ease Prez into the strangeness that is this family.”
“We’re strange? What’s strange is that boy’s name. What kind of name is Prez?” Lexa’s dad asked.
“It’s just a nickname Daddy. It’s what everyone calls him because he is president of the student council.” Lexa’s mom stopped to pinch Lexa’s cheeks on her way into the kitchen to check on her turkey.
“He sounds like a nice young man with potential,” she said.
“He sounds like he should be dispensing candy from his neck.” Lexa rolled her eyes.
“Please just go and get dressed,” Lexa said.
“I am dressed,” her father claimed.
“Daddy, you are not coming to dinner wearing a t-shirt with mustard stains on it. Now please, go make yourself decent.”
“I do this because I love you,” Lexa’s father said as he walked into his room. Brent came downstairs dressed and Lexa nodded her approval. There was a knock on the door and Lexa almost ran to answer it. She opened the door and Prez smiled widely holding hibiscus flowers, Lexa’s mother’s favorite. Lexa stepped outside and closed the door behind her. She straightened out Prez’s shirt and found miniscule things to pick off his shirt as she talked.
“Alright, quick reminders, don’t bring up writing, books or doctors. My sister goes by Brent and try not to compliment the food otherwise every time you look away, Mama will be putting more food on your plate. If you must admire my mom’s cooking skills, make eye contact so that you can politely decline before she fattens you like a pig. Talk about yourself, but don’t brag and smile but not so much that’s it creepy. Don’t say anything about religion or politics and close your mouth when chewing. I think that’s all. I hope I didn’t forget anything.”
“Lexa,” Prez grabbed Lexa’s forearms. “Relax, it’ll be fine. Parents love me.” Prez kissed Lexa’s forehead. This was the closest they had gotten to kissing in the two moths they had been dating without Lexa bursting into nervous giggles and even so, she giggled every now and then when Prez did give her a peck on the head. Lexa took a deep breath.
“It’s show time,” she announced. She opened the door and what she saw threw her off guard: her father was wearing a button down shirt and a tie and reading a book on supernatural beings. Her father hadn’t worn a tie since Brent’s 8th grade graduation two years ago. Her mother, always graceful, placed her turkey on the table, which Brent was setting. Lexa’s family looked calm, peaceful and normal. It was weird and slightly unsettling. “Everyone, this is Prez. Prez, this is my mom, dad, and my sister, Brent.” Lexa’s dad stood and shook his hand.
“It’s nice to meet you Prez dispenser,” Lexa’s dad laughed loudly and Prez faked a laugh.
“Nice to meet you too, Mr. Banks,” Prez said trying not to wince at the strength in Mr. Banks’s hand. His hand was released and the captured by a more tender hand.
“Hello, Mr. President,” Mrs. Banks greeted.
“Just Prez is fine ma’am.” Prez presented the flowers. “These are for you.”
“Oh! They’re so pretty. You didn’t have to go through any trouble finding them did you?” Prez pushed away the memory of going to 8 florist shops before finding the flowers.
“No ma’am, it was no trouble at all.”
“Oh good.” Mrs. Banks went to put the flowers in a vase.
“Hey. You’re pretty good looking,” Brent said to Prez.
“Thanks,” Prez said.
“Why such low standards?”
“Brent!” Lexa scolded with her hands in fists.
“I could ask your sister the same thing?” Prez said unbothered. Brent nodded approval.
“He’s smooth,” she said to Lexa. “Do you know about the list?”
“I swear Brent, I will murder you,” Lexa threatened. Brent pulled a piece of paper from her pocket and unfolded it.
“It’s pretty cute actually,” Brent said ignoring Lexa. “Here, take a look.” Brent handed the paper to Prez but he looked at Lexa. She was obviously pissed and embarrassed. He held the paper out to her and she looked shocked.
“I won’t read it if it bothers you,” he said simply. Lexa visibly relaxed and shook her head.
“Uh. No, it’s okay. I don’t mind. Just try to hold back you’re laughter.” Prez hesitated before looking at the paper.
MY LIST FOR PUBLIC SCHOOL
✓ Talk to a boy
✓ Make a friend
✓ Make an enemy
✓ Go on a date
o Get straight A’s
o Sleepover at a friend’s house
o Break curfew (once)
✓ Burn all old school uniforms
o Get a boyfriend?
o Buy a leather jacket

Prez laughed. Lexa looked down at her feet and rubbed her arm. Prez lifted her chin and let his hand linger. “This is adorable.” A bright flash of light interrupted the moment. Brent quickly hid a camera behind her back.
“Sorry! Mom made me do it!” She ran off quickly into the kitchen and Prez and Lexa giggled.
“Why is a leather jacket on the list?” Prez asked.
“I’ve just always wanted one,” Lexa answered. Prez reached into his pocket and pulled out a pen. He placed the piece of paper on the wall and wrote on it.
“Dinner’s ready!” Mrs. Banks announced. “Honey, put that book away.” Mr. Banks grunted as he went to put away his book and Prez handed Lexa her list and headed to the table. Lexa glanced at the paper to see what Prez had changed:
✓ Get a boyfriend?
Lexa’s cheeks got hot and sore from the smile that was too big for her face. She folded the paper and placed it in the breast pocket of her favorite baby blue dress. She sat next to Prez, who smiled back at her. Both of their smiles were frightened off by another bright flash. They looked up at Mrs. Banks who took another picture when the two teens looked at her. Prez and Lexa blinked fast and hard.
“Mom. Stop that,” Lexa demanded.
“I just wanted a couple pictures. You two are just so cute,” Mrs. Banks defended. She placed the camera on the table and took her seat at the end of the table, opposite of Mr. Banks.
“Prez dispenser,” Mr. Banks called. “Keep your hands on the table where I can see them and maybe I won’t make you eat with the dog.” Prez placed his hands on the table and looked around.
“You guys have a dog?” He asked.
“Yeah, he’s buried in the backyard.” Prez swallowed hard and nodded his head. Lexa laughed uncomfortably trying to lighten the mood at the table. Mrs. Banks began cutting the turkey. She cut in thin delicate slices and the aroma of the bird silenced the room in a blissful anticipation. Mrs. Banks finished cutting and signaled her hands for everyone to enjoy.
“Serve yourselves,” she said. The girls were the first to have their pick of the turkey, then Mr. Banks and finally Prez. They passed around the sides of macaroni and cheese, potato salad, green beans, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. Prez, usually a big eater, tried to monitor how much he put on his plate, not too much, not too little.
For a while, everyone was too consumed with filling their stomachs to speak. Mrs. Banks’s food could silence a thousand hyenas just by its smell. The food was settling. The men, and Brent, were helping themselves to seconds, thirds.
“So Prez, what are your plans after you graduate high school?” Mrs. Banks, the only one worthy of ending the silence, asked. Prez wiped his mouth before speaking.
“I want to go to college and study Computer Engineering,” he informed.
“You must be really smart,” Brent said.
“I do okay in school,” Prez said.
“What’s ‘okay’?” Mr. Banks asked. “Are you passing all your classes?”
“Yes, sir. I am.”
“What’s the lowest grade you had on your last report card?”
“Daddy. Please be nice,” Lexa begged.
“I’m not doing anything but asking the boy how good his last report card was. Come on, tell us. What was your lowest grade?” Prez cleared his throat.
“My lowest grade was a 95 in English.” The table was quiet.
“Such a humble boy!” Mrs. Banks said. “Smart, handsome, polite. Your parents must be proud.” Prez nodded.
“The dynamic duo gives me just enough praise so that I don’t get c***y.”
“The what?” Mrs. Banks’s face was confused.
“I call my parents the dynamic duo because my mom is a cop and my dad is a firefighter. They’re a perfect pair. I’ve been calling them that for as long as I can remember.”
“That is so sweet. When the girls were little we were teaching them to call adults Mister or Miss and up until Lexa was around 8 years old, we were Mr. Daddy and Ms. Mommy.”
“And then we grew up and realized how lame that was,” Brent jumped in.
“It was cute!” Mrs. Banks said. “Oh I remember—“
“Mom! Please, no embarrassing stories at the table,” Lexa interrupted.
“Embarrassing? None of my stories are embarrassing. You two were the most adorable little kids. I remember when Lexa was 5 she was having a big birthday party. A couple weeks before, we went to the mall and she picked her own birthday dress. It was so cute! It was white with light blue polka dots and the skirt flared out. Oh! I have a picture!” Mrs. Banks got up and headed towards a bookcase.
“Mom if you love me, please stop now,” Lexa begged covering her face in her hands.
“Oh hush. Here it is!” Mrs. Banks came back to the table and showed Prez an open photo album and she was pointing at a crying toddler in the dress she had described, but the dress was covered in cake. “She loved that dress. But Brent over there didn’t like that Lexa was getting all the attention. So she threw cake all over Lexa’s dress. Lexa cried nonstop for hours. She didn’t open presents, she didn’t say goodbye to guests. Her face was as red as the clown’s nose. We finally got her out of the dress and I was able to clean all the icing off of it. Then on Brent’s birthday, Lexa threw cake on her.” Mrs. Banks laughed. It was a warm laugh like Lexa’s but soft like a lullaby. “They’ve been throwing cake on each other every year since.” Prez laughed.
“That’s adorable,” Prez confirmed. He wrapped an arm around Lexa who was using her mind to bury herself alive. “Do you have any more stories Mrs. Banks?”
“Oh hundreds!” Lexa groaned.
“Hands, Prez dispenser." Prez quickly put his hands on the table.


I sat in the library grading papers that should’ve been graded a week ago. Kiri came and left the table constantly, either placing a new book on the table or taking one back to the shelves. The librarian and her aids knew Kiri by name and were helping her find new books. “Have you read every book here?” I asked Kiri as she sat down at the table surrounded by 8 books.
“No. I rarely read the new books in the kids’ section anymore.”
“Of course not,” I said looking back at my students’ multiplication tests.
“I haven’t read this yet.” Kiri slid a big book of original fairytales across the table towards me.
“I don’t know about this Kiri, the original fairytales can be pretty gruesome. You might get nightmares.”
“Maybe if you read it to me I won’t be scared.”  I looked up a Kiri. Her eyes were pitying me.
“You don’t have to do that anymore. Mission over. I don’t need you sitting here feeling sorry for me.”
“Sonya, my mission ends in a month. I would like it if you didn’t fight me on this.”
“I’m not entertaining this idea. All you’re going to do is be nice for a month and then we’ll be back to how it was before: me walking on eggshells so that you don’t think I’m overstepping my boundaries.”
“Sonya, by definition, you are my mother,” Kiri said.
“Yeah, yeah. I know that.”
“And I do feel sorry for you.” I let out a breath. “And I want to apologize.” My posture straightened with surprise. “Instead of me gaining an evil stepmother, you got an evil stepdaughter. I was nice some days, mean on others. I knew what I was doing. But I do want to try and fix it.” Kiri slid the book closer to me. “One creepy fairytale at a time.” I stared at Kiri.
“You are insanely mature for a 6 year old,” I stated. Kiri shrugged.
“That happens when you read a lot,” she said. I packed up my papers.
“Is that all of the books you’re getting?” I asked.
“Yes. But can I read them at the café? I like it there and their chamomile tea is really good.”
“Sure, we can swing by there before going home. And if you liked the chamomile, then their orange tea is going to blow your mind!” We checked out and headed to the café. We got there and sat in our booth. Paul didn’t seem surprised to see us again. Kiri began reading and taking little sips of her tea every now and then. I finished up grading and decided to play a game on my phone.
“Sonya,” Kiri called.
“Yeah,” I didn’t look up from my phone, indulged in my game.
“I have a secret too.”
“What’s that?”
“I want to go to the advanced school.” I dropped my phone and smiled.
“Are you serious? Kiri, don’t joke around with me. Are you for real?”
“Yes. I didn’t want you to know I agreed. But I think it would be nice to get out of a classroom where most of the kids sniff permanent markers. Or to have someone to talk to about my books.”
“Oh my god! Kiri this is great! It sucks that you’ve missed out for so long but now we can tell your dad and get you enrolled!” I laughed excitedly. “Just imagine the things you could do with that big brain of yours!” Kiri laughed. “This calls for a celebration! We are getting you ice cream and a big balloon and hell maybe even a cake! Excuse my French.”
“That’s not French,” Kiri said.
“And that is why you need to be in that school! Come one, let’s get out of here!” People were looking at me like I was crazy but I didn’t care. Kiri being in this school would open up a world of opportunities for her. Who knows what she’ll do in the future? She just needs the right tools to get to wherever life is taking her. I left money on the table and basically flew out of the café. Kiri giggling behind me.
“I think you’re more excited about this than you should be,” Kiri laughed.
“Are you kidding me? I’m ecstatic! I couldn’t be more proud! My daughter is a genius!” I stilled before putting the key in the ignition. I had called Kiri my daughter. On a regular day, a slip- up like this would earn me an immediate rant but for now the car was silent.
“It’s okay,” Kiri whispered.  “I’m glad that you’re proud of me…Mom.” I stared at Kiri. Her eyes and smile were genuine. I smiled back and didn’t bother to wipe away the tear on my cheek.


“I had a great time, Mrs. Banks. Thank you for all of the stories,” Prez said as Lexa escorted him to the door. Brent stopped them and smirked. She stood on her tiptoes and whispered something into Prez’s ear. He nodded and said goodbye.
Lexa stood right outside her front door and left out a deep breath. “That went pretty well,” Lexa admitted.
“Your mom is great, your dad is terrifying,” Prez laughed. “My legs were shaking the whole time. When you said your dad was a writer, I never imagined that he was big enough to snap me in half.”
“Yeah. He works out a lot so that he’s fit when the aliens finally reveal themselves.” Lexa laughed. “It’s funny because it totally makes sense. If aliens came to Earth, I would want to be in shape too.” The two laughed.
“I can’t wait for you to meet my parents,” Prez said.
“Oh! I’m so sorry for pulling you away from them on Thanksgiving.”
“Don’t worry about it. Dad’s usually out due to all the burned turkeys and Mom’s working on a theft case so they were pretty busy today.”
“Are they busy often?”
“No, but holidays definitely keep them busy. They usually figure out a way to stay home but since I was going to be out today, they had nothing stopping them.”
“So maybe I can meet them a couple days before Christmas,” Lexa offered.
“Do you know how far away Christmas is?”
“Ok. Maybe in a few weeks.” Prez feigned a pained face.
“That won’t work since I told my mom you were coming over next weekend.”
“What? Prez! You didn’t even ask me!”
“Right. Hey, want to come to dinner at my house next weekend?”
“Do I really have a choice?”
“Yes. But, also no.”
“You suck,” Lexa said. She was fighting her amusement and failing.
“Love you, too.” Prez smiled at Lexa’s blushing cheeks. She looked down at her feet. Prez gently pulled her chin up. “What did I tell you about looking away?”
Lexa bit her lip as Prez pushed a piece of hair out of her face. “Sorry,” she mumbled.
“Don’t worry beautiful, I’ll help you keep your chin up.” Lexa’s face was steaming. “I should go.” Prez slowly backed away from Lexa and started walking to his car. Lexa waiting, as she always does, seemed confused when he stopped suddenly and hurriedly walked back towards her. “I forgot something,” he said before he placed his lips on Lexa’s. His hands gently gripped her face, angling her lips to meet his. Shocked at first, Lexa froze. Soon Prez’s lips melted her and her arms wrapped around his neck. Prez dropped his hands and held Lexa’s waist.
Their lips waltzed, with Lexa following Prez’s lead. Prez pulled away and rested his forehead on Lexa’s. “Brent said you can’t laugh if you don’t see what’s coming.” Prez kissed Lexa’s forehead, wished her a goodnight and went to his car. Lexa went inside and immediately broke down into giggles. She spotted Brent and hugged her tightly while spinning.
“What’s so funny, Lexa?” Mrs. Banks asked. Lexa, still giggling, couldn’t speak. Brent rolled her eyes.
“Prez finally kissed her,” Brent announced. “That’s 15 bucks Dad.”
“Damn, I thought I had him too scared to do it,” Mr. Banks said as he reached in his pocket and pulled out 30 dollars and handed 15 to Brent and Mrs. Banks. Lexa’s giggles died and confusion took place.
“Why does Dad owe you two money?”
“Sweetheart, we have been betting on you two to have your first kiss for weeks. This was obviously the perfect night to do it but your father was convinced Prez would be too chicken to actually make a move. All he needed was a little help.” Mrs. Banks nodded her head towards Brent who winked at Lexa.
“He was terrified,” Mr. Banks defended. “I had the boy practically ready to wet himself.” Lexa stared at her family.
“This is messed up and I feel like I should be angry, but I’m too happy to let this bother me.”
“You’re welcome,” Brent yelled as Lexa went upstairs to her room.

“What’s her name?” Kiri asked.
“She doesn’t have a name,” I answered passing over my kitten to her.
“Why not?”
“I keep forgetting to name her.”
“I thought you said she got her shots at the vet.”
“She did. She didn’t like it though.”
“How did she get shots without having a name?” I shrugged.
“Your grandma took her.” Kiri was spending the weekend with me and Hunter. She comes over every other weekend or so because she likes to read in different environments. Also, Hunter complains if she doesn't get to see Kiri after too long.
“She needs a name,” Kiri decided.
“Why don’t you help me name her?”
“I thought you would never ask. Has Granny told you what she looks like?” I shook my head. “Do you want to know?” I nodded. “She’s white with one black ear, black paws and only the tip of her tail is black too.”
“What about her eyes? What color are her eyes?”
“Um, they’re kind of like a dark hazel.” I nodded my head. I leaned back into the couch and thought.
“She sounds like a yin and yang sign,” I said.
“But she’s pretty well behaved.” I heard the kitten purr.
“She’s behaved because she’s always curled up napping somewhere. We should call her sleepy.”
“Then she sounds like one of the seven dwarfs,” Kiri objected. “What about Patches?”
“Patches is too generic. A special cat deserves a special name.” The front door opened and closed.
“Hey Granny, what did you tell the vet the kitten’s name was?”
“I called her Cookie,” Hunter answered.
“I like the naming her after a desert, just not that desert,” I said.
“Are you two naming the cat?” Hunter asked.
“Yes, we are because a special cat needs a special name,” Kiri announced proudly. “I got it! Oreo! Let’s name her Oreo!” I heard a purr and Hunter’s hum of approval. I nodded.
“I like it. Oreo it is,” I agreed. Kiri began baby talking to the cat. I chuckled and heard Hunter’s feet on the floor. “Hunter, where were you all day?”
“I had an emergency session with one of my clients and then I went Christmas shopping.”
“I don’t see any bags,” Kiri said.
“That’s because I’m smart enough to know not to hide gifts in the house. Especially around Eli.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked with mock offense.
“It means you’re nosy and Kiri is small. That’s a dangerous combination.”
“She’s right you know,” Kiri said. “Why’d you wait so long to go Christmas shopping Granny? You said it’s always better to shop early to avoid ‘the Christmas rush’.”
“True, but, this year, we have a new addition to the house that I had to shop for.”
“I thought we agreed not to buy me anything for Christmas,” I said.
“I didn’t buy it for Christmas. It’s a late birthday present.”
“Hunter, I –“
“Oh hush up. I don’t want to hear it. What’s done is done.”
“Fine,” I mumbled. I got up and went into my room. I came back out with a can in my hand. “Kiri, count this for me.”
“What’s that?” Hunter asked.
“There’s 54 dollars and 75 cents in here,” Kiri said. “That’s pretty impressive.”
“Jim probably put extra money in there. Come on Kiri, I need your help with something.” I went to the front door and felt around the floor until I found my shoes.
“Where are you two going?” Hunter asked.
“Christmas shopping,” I answered casually.
“At least let me give you a ride,” Hunter offered. I stood.
“No thank you. Kiri has scouted the mall to be about half a mile from here. In between here and the mall are at least 3 supermarkets and a shopping square. Don’t worry about us, we’ll be fine.” I felt around for the door knob, unlocked the door and waited until I felt Kiri’s small hand pull me out of the house.


“Finally man!” Prez’s best friend, Danny, said after hearing about Prez and Lexa’s first kiss. “It’s been what? 3 years since you two started dating?” The two boys were celebrating in their favorite ice cream shop a week after the event. Prez smirked and flipped his friend off.
“I just didn’t want to push or rush her, you know? I just wanted to let things happen naturally.”
“So she finally made a move. ‘Cause let’s be honest, we all know who’s really wearing the pants.”
“Shut up. I’ll have you know, I kissed her. It’s something your young mind won’t understand until you’re older.”
“I’m 4 days younger. 4 days. I understand relationships.”
“So why aren’t you in one?” Prez was answered with silence and he started laughing.
“Whatever, when I am going to meet this girl?”
“I can text her and ask if she meet us here now, if she’s not busy.”
“Yes! Please! So I can meet this girl and sweep her off her feet and steal her from you.” Prez snorted and pulled out his phone.
“Danny, you couldn’t sweep Lexa off her feet because I’ve already got her feet off the ground.” Prez’s phone rang. “She’ll be here in a few minutes.”
“You might be the smooth talker Prez, but I’m the funny one. And every girl loves humor.”
“Only thing funny about you is your face,” Prez said and both boys laughed.
“Man, you wish you were this pretty.”
“I wish I had a bag to put over your face.” Danny opened his mouth to shoot back a snarky comment but stopped and lowered his voice.
“Hey man, coo coo bird coming up from behind you.” Prez’s eyes were covered with small, cold hands.
“Guess who?” a female voice said. Prez sighed.
“Hello Camille,” Prez said. Camille took her hands off of Prez’s face and stood in front of the two boys.
“Oh no fair! He told you I was walking over here,” Camille whined.
“I will not deny it, I did warn him you were coming,” Danny said. Camille rolled her eyes and turned her back to Danny.
“Anyways, Prez. I was wondering, if you had any plans for next weekend.”
“Depends on why you’re asking,” Prez answered. Camille obnoxiously faked a giggle and playfully slapped Prez’s arm.
“Because I thought maybe we could do something together, of course.”
“Like a date?”
“Yes. Like a date,” Camille’s voice was hopeful and she frowned slightly as Prez shook his head.
“No thanks, Camille.” Camille groaned.
“Why not?” She pouted.
“It might be because he has a girlfriend,” Lexa said as she sat in a chair next to Prez. “Hey, you.” She turned and faced Danny. “Hi! I’m Lexa.” Danny waved.
“You have remarkable timing,” he complimented.
“Thanks.”
“Wait a second. What? Girlfriend?” Camille questioned. Prez nodded and pointed at Lexa.
“Girlfriend,” he confirmed.
“When did that happen?”
“Officially? A week ago.”
“But she’s only been here for a few months,” Camille stated.
“Yeah?”
“You’ve known me since Kindergarten.”
“Now I may be wrong,” Danny interrupted. “But I don’t think the seniority rights rule applies to relationships.” Prez wrapped his arm around Lexa, who fought off a blush.
“But you know what? I have a great idea,” Prez announced. “Lexa are you busy next weekend?” Lexa shook her head. “And I know Danny’s not busy, we should double date.” Danny was rapidly shaking his head until Camille turned around and he gave her a polite smile.
“Like me with him?” Camille asked.
“Yeah! Why not? He’s smart, funny and man, do I wish my face was as pretty as his.” Camille weighed her options.
“Fine.” Camille took a napkin from the table and wrote her number on it. “Call me later,” she said to Danny and left the ice cream shop. Danny took the number and put it in his pocket.
“I hate you,” Danny said.
“I owe you big time,” Prez said.
“You’re just lucky she’s hot or else you would be having a three way date.”
“Ew. You think Camille is hot?”
“You don’t? Lexa asked with Prez’s ice cream in her mouth. Prez shook her head.
“No. Are you kidding me?”
“Are you blind? That girl is beautiful.”
“I like her,” Danny said pointing at Lexa with his spoon. “She’s honest. It’s too bad you’re a terrible kisser.” Danny casually ate more of ice cream.
“What?” Lexa said mortified.
“Yeah. Prez was just complaining about it.”
“He’s joking. I never said that,” Prez quickly defended. Danny started laughing.
“Yeah, I am. But’s it is about time we met, Lex. Can I call you Lex? I’m going to call you Lex.”
“Uh, okay.”
“Prez here has been talking about you nonstop since you two met.” Lexa smiled and Prez rubbed the back of his neck. “Seriously, I’ll be like ‘Yo Prez! Don’t forget to grab an umbrella because it’s raining,’ and he’ll say something like ‘I hope Lexa owns an umbrella’. It’s nauseating. So do you Lex?”
“Do I what?”
“Own an umbrella?” Lexa laughed.
“Yes, I own an umbrella.”
“No worries man. She owns an umbrella.”
“Please stop breathing,” Prez said. Danny put his hand over his heart as if he were hurt.
“Now that’s plain rude. I have another question for you Lex.”
“What’s on your mind?” Lexa asked.
“Did the girls at your old school hook up with each other and stuff?”
“Come on, Danny!” Prez objected.
“Don’t act like you’re not curious. There’s no guys around so why not experiment and see what happens?” Lexa laughed.
“I know some of the girls dated each other and everything, but the majority of us preferred guys,” she answered.
“See man, why can’t you be chill like your girlfriend?” Danny scooted closer to the table. “Lex, you know you’re a pretty girl right? Of course you do, you own a mirror. So what do you see in this ugly asshole?” Lexa started giggling hoping no one noticed her face heating up.
“This is why I hate you,” Prez said. “I can’t do s*** with you.”
“And that’s why you love me,” Danny said. “Your life would be boring without me, and you would have no one to throw Camille onto. You should go to my house and thank my parents for creating this masterpiece that you have been graced with as a friend.”
“You’re so full of yourself. Why am I friends with you?”
“Easy answer.” Danny turned to Lexa. “Lexa, I’m going to tell you a story about the day me and this sack of bones met.”
“She doesn’t want to hear that.”
“Of course she does. I’ll keep it short. In 5th grade, Prez and I kept getting sent to this ‘bad kids table’ our teacher had set up in the back corner of the room. One day, she made the mistake of putting us both at that table at the same time. Prez was pouting because we weren’t allowed to go to recess. Then he leaned over and said ‘I’ve got a secret.” I asked him what it was and this kid pulls out a taped up shoebox with holes stabbed in the top. He opens it and inside are these 2 lizards. He picks one up and puts it on the teacher’s desk. I took the other one and placed it on Camille’s because why not? The class comes back and the teacher screams her head off. She’s questioning Prez and me wanting to know which one of us put the lizard on her desk. I took the blame and we’ve been friends ever since.” Danny laughed. “Camille didn’t notice hers until later. Then she somehow found out they were Prez’s lizards and has been all over him ever since.”
Lexa was holding her stomach, laughing. It shouldn’t have been as funny as she perceived it but she couldn’t help herself. She imagined her very elderly 5th grade teacher screaming after finding a lizard on her desk and then the laughter just bubbled out of her.
“So Lex,” Danny said. “Have I swept you off your feet yet?” Lexa wiped a small tear from her eye and took a few breaths to calm her laughter. She cleared her throat.
“My feet have to be on the ground first.”


“I think we’re better off in the shopping center,” I told Kiri. The shopping center was only around the corner but my feet were already killing me. “What does your grandma like?”
“How am I supposed to know?” Kiri asked.
“You’ve known her for almost 7 years.”
“And you’ve known her for like a hundred.”
“Good point.”
“What does Granny like to do?” I thought for a moment. “Kiri, is there a jewelry store nearby?”
“Yes, there’s a jewelry store, a radio store, and a sports store right in front of us.”
“Perfect. Lead the way to the jewelry store. I have an idea.”


“You can’t cheat at a picnic,” Lexa said.
“It’s cheating if everyone is brings food they made themselves and you bring food your mom made. Your mom is a food goddess. The rest of us don’t have a chance.” Lexa and Prez were sitting in Lexa’s living room on the couch trying to decide what to bring to the picnic they were having with Danny and Camille the next day.
“What if I help her make it?” Lexa negotiated.
“Nope. You have to make it yourself, those are the rules of the picnic.”
“Since when are there rules for a picnic?”
“Since I made them up 5 seconds ago.” Lexa groaned.
“Alright, I’ll make something. But what?”
“I don’t know. That sounds like a personal problem.”
“If you think I won’t stay home instead of going to this picnic, you’re delusional.”
“Okay, okay. We can make something together. But there are factors to consider.”
“Factors?”
“Yeah, like: weather, allergies, location, if someone might bring the same thing and obviously, dessert. You have to make a dessert with your main course.” Lexa collapsed and laid her head on Prez’s lap with her arm draped over her eyes.
“This picnic thing is too hard. Let’s just stay home and sleep.”
“And miss the chance to see Camille’s face when she finally gets the hint? Even you wouldn’t want to miss that.”
“That’s true, I don’t.” Lexa sat up. “Does that make me a mean person?”
“No. You’d be a mean person if you rubbed it in her face.”
“Are you two still talking about that picnic?” Brent said. She sat down on the couch, propped her feet on the coffee table and turned on the TV. She turned and caught Lexa’s death glare. “I’m not going to stay in my room all day just because Prez is here.” Lexa rolled her eyes.
“You could make sandwiches,” Prez suggested. “The classic picnic meal.”
“Too cliché,” Lexa said. “I can make chicken salad.”
“Danny’s vegetarian.”
“What about potato salad?” Prez nodded.
“Sounds good. Now all we need is a dessert.”
“You can help me make brownies,” Brent said. “But you have to follow my instructions and I want some of that potato salad.”
“Deal,” Lexa said.
“You’re bending the rules,” Prez teased.
“Screw you and your made-up rules, Prez.” Prez smiled and gave Lexa a peck on the lips.
“I just ate and would like the food to stay in my stomach. Thank you,” Brent said.


Kiri and I came back and heard soft music playing throughout the apartment. “Wow, Granny, your dancing is so pretty.” Hunter laughed.
“I have a couple moves still left in me. Want to learn some?”
“Yeah!” Kiri shoved a shopping bag in my hands and hurriedly went to her grandma. I walked into my room and placed the bag underneath my bed. I walked back and sat on the couch. Soon, Oreo came and laid on my lap. I petted behind her ears and smiled at the purr I received. “Mr. Eli! Can you dance?”
“Me? No,” I answered, laughing at the thought.
“Yes he can,” Hunter said. “I taught him myself.”
“Yeah, but now I can’t look down at my feet,” I said laughing. I felt someone lift Oreo and slender, soft hands pulled on mine causing me to stand. The hands let go but only long enough to drag something across the floor, likely the coffee table.
“We’re going to see what you remember,” Hunter said. She placed one of my hands on her hip and her hand on my shoulder. Our other hands were gripped together and held slightly out. Hunter counted beats and somehow my feet moved in time. We moved with the music and I smiled. “See, I told you he could dance.” Hunter laughed and I felt a nostalgic joy.
I spun Hunter around and gave her a slight dip causing her to giggle again. “I love your laugh,” I said quietly. I lifted Hunter back up and heard her clear her throat. She was holding on to my shoulder a bit tighter. I lifted my hand from her hip and automatically lifted her chin gently. A moment passed and then I felt Hunter’s lips lightly, just barely touch mine. I kissed her back and felt a smile form on her lips.
“Are you two in love now?” Kiri interrupted. Hunter pulled away and laughed. My face remained serious.
“I always have been,” I whispered.


“I’ll find them while you park,” Prez said. Lexa drove them there since she recently got her license and wanted to be behind the wheel as much as possible.
“Okay, take the food with you.” Prez got out and scanned the park for Danny and Camille.
“Over here!” Camille’s voice called. Prez looked over and saw a wooden table with a red checkered tablecloth over it. Sitting at it was Camille. Prez sighed and walked over to the table. “Hey Prez,” Camille greeted.
“Hello Camille. How are you?”
“I’m a lot better now that you’re here. Where’s Lexa?”
“She’s parking her car. Where’s Danny?”
“He said he’ll be ‘fashionably late’.” Camille rolled her eyes. Prez placed Lexa’s basket of goods on the table and sat across from Camille. “So how is Lexa?”
“She’s amazing,” Prez said.
“That’s good. Have you two…” Camille made a circle with one hand and poked a finger through it.
“No! God, even if we had that’s none of your business,” Prez said.
“Sorry. I’m just curious. I mean, it can’t be easy for her to resist you. I know I wouldn’t be able to.”
“Stop Camille.”
“What? I’m just making conversation.”
“Most people talk about the weather. All you’re doing right now is throwing yourself at me and honestly it’s pitiful and gross.”
“It just doesn’t make sense to me. You reject me for her? What makes her different?”
“Well, for one, she doesn’t throw herself at me.”
“I’m just using my resources. I’ve been barking up the Prez tree since 5th grade. But she pops up and automatically gets the attention I’ve been trying to get for years!”
“Camille,” Prez said gently. “At one point, I liked you but then you became this.”
“I can change!” Prez shook his head.
“I don’t want you to change. Be you, but back off.”
“I still don’t see what she has that I don’t.”
“Do me a favor,” Prez said. Camille eagerly nodded. “Talk to her, get to know her and then tell me if you still don’t see it.” Camille nodded again, less enthusiastic this time. Lexa slid into her seat next to Prez and immediately noticed Camille’s defeated face and Prez’s stern glare.
“What did I miss?” Lexa asked with a worried laugh. Camille threw on a smile.
“Nothing! We’re just waiting on Danny to get here so we can eat. What did you bring?” Lexa, wary of Camille’s kindness, pulled out the food from her basket.
“I made potato salad and brownies. Wait, what’s this?” Lexa pulled out a greasy paper bag.
“Oh. I didn’t make anything so I bought hamburgers,” Prez said casually. Lexa narrowed her eyes.
“Are you serious? What happened to the picnic rules?” Prez shrugged.
“Picnic rules? What picnic rules?” Camille asked.
“Hey guys, sorry I’m late,” Danny said as he sat next to Camille. He set a bag on the table full of store-bought chocolate chip cookies, paper plates and plastic utensils on the table.
“Great, Danny’s here. Anyway, Prez pestered me yesterday because he made up these ‘picnic rules’ that I had to make something to bring to the picnic, not just buy something,” Lexa complained.
“So you decided to buy hamburgers?” Camille said, sharing Lexa’s annoyance.
“And one veggie burger,” Prez justified. Danny gave Prez a fist bump across the table.
“Thanks for thinking of me man,” Danny said.
“I always do.”
“Aw. I love you, too. You better watch out, Lex. I might steal your man.” Danny grabbed a plate and helped himself to some of Lexa’s potato salad.
“You’re vegetarian?” Camille asked Danny. Danny, mouth stuffed with potato salad, nodded his head. Camille smirked. “That’s weird. Me too.”


Hunter ignored my whispered confession and pulled away from me like it never happened. Kiri didn’t hear it and so I let it go. The music stopped and I felt around for the couch and sunk down into the couch. Hunter didn’t speak and I think that made my rejection worse. Kiri must’ve detected the awkwardness between Hunter and me because she remained quiet.
“How’s Mission: Sonya?” I asked Kiri.
“It’s pretty good. We’re spending more time together. And we made our own book club.”
“That sounds fun.”
“Sonya has surprisingly good taste in books.”
“So what will you do at the end of your mission? You’ve got what? A week or so left?”
“I haven’t been keeping track. I stopped keeping track after day two.”
“Why’s that?”
“I don’t need to anymore.” There was a knock on the door and Hunter went to open it.
“Hey Sonya.”
“Sonya! Granny and Mr. Eli kissed! It was kind of gross but also kind of cute,” Kiri announced.
“Oh?” Sonya said. I could hear the smile in her voice. “That’s nice. But let’s not tell your dad that though.”
“Why not?”
“Because it’s bad to spread personal business if it’s not yours to share.”
“Oh. Then my lips are sealed.” Hunter laughed nervously.
“Why are you here so early? We weren’t expecting you for another hour or so,” Hunter said.
“Yeah. Sorry, Ma. But, Kiri and I have a movie date to catch.”
“Really?” I could hear the surprise in Hunter’s voice. Kiri got up from the couch and Oreo crawled back onto my lap. “Well, have fun you two.”
“We will. Bye, Granny,” Kiri said.
“Woah! What’s the rules about goodbyes?” Hunter asked.
“Don’t say goodbye because goodbye means forever.”
“What do we say instead?”
“See you later alligator!” Hunter laughed.
“In a while crocodile.” I heard the smack of a kiss and Hunter closed the door and locked it. The silence in the room was nerve wracking but I didn’t dare break it. I was worried I had crossed a line with Hunter and I didn’t want to cause her to be any more distant than she already was. “I don’t feel like cooking today,” she said. “You okay with Chinese?” I nodded and she called and placed our order.
“How’d you know what I wanted?”
“Eli, you’ve been ordering the same sesame chicken and lo mien noodles for years. I doubt it’s changed.”
“You’re right, it hasn’t.” The room once again flooded with silence. Oreo jumped off my lap. I wished I was a cat and could stealthily leave. I hadn’t done anything wrong but I still felt like a kid that was caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I could feel Hunter’s eyes digging into me. “What is it Hunter?” Silence. “If you just shook your head, I’m going to remind you I’m blind.” Hunter sighed.
“It’s nothing.”
“Then why aren’t you talking?”
“I have nothing to say.”
“And that’s how I know something’s wrong.” Hunter didn’t speak. “Damn it Hunter, talk to me.”
“And say what?”
“Tell me what’s on your mind.”
“I’m thinking that it’s too late,” she whispered. I pressed my lips together because I knew what she meant. It was too late for us but I shook my head.
“It’s never too late, Hunter.”
“Eli, we’re both in our 50’s. We have maybe another 20 years before we’re sent to a home.”
“I don’t care where I go as long as I’m with you.” Hunter left out a sad laugh.
“Always the cliché.”
“Hunter, I love you. I never stopped.”
“It sure felt like it.”
“I know; I’m sorry.”
“You didn’t even try to find me. Or call. I used to call your mom’s house every day. She kept telling me it was a bad idea for me to talk to you.”
“It was. I was mad at the world and I only would’ve taken it out on you. My mom adored you. She wouldn’t want to put you through more heartache.” I heard Hunter sniff and I got up and sat gently on the edge on the recliner Hunter was in. I held my hand out for hers and she hesitantly placed her slender hand in my rough hand. She leaned her hand on me and I stroked her hand with my thumb. “I’m sorry Hunter,” I whispered.
“My golden years are behind me. I’m getting old Eli.”
“I see nothing but golden years ahead of us.”
“I’m too old for any more heartbreak, Eli,” Hunter mumbled.
“I’m not going to hurt you, Hunter.” I felt Hunter shake her head. “Even if you don’t want me now, I’m going to keep trying until you do, or until I kick the bucket; whichever comes first.” Hunter laughed sadly. “I’m going to sweep you off your feet all over again.”
“Promise?”
“With my heart and soul,” I assured. I felt Hunter nod.


“Lexa, you have got to tell me what you did to these brownies,” Camille said while grabbing her 5th brownie.
“My sister made them. She doesn’t even tell me what she puts in them. When I ask, she tells me that it’s cat s***. So I stopped asking,” Lexa said.
“I don’t care what it is. I want this brownie to become a person so I can marry it and have its kids.” The table laughed. “It’s funny how you guys think I’m joking.”
“What I want to know is how you made a vegetarian lasagna so delicious,” Lexa admitted.
“You two have been talking about food for the past 20 minutes,” Danny complained.
“I am a food enthusiast,” Camille said with mock authority. “Did you eat one of these brownies?”
“No. I don’t really like chocolate.”
“That is unacceptable. Put this piece of heaven in your mouth right now,” Camille demanded while trying to feed Danny a piece of her brownie.
“No, really I-” Danny was silenced by a chunk of chocolate entering his mouth, thanks to Prez. “This. Is. Delicious!”
“I told you!” Camille said.
“Lex, is there a way to liquefy this and inject it in my blood?” Danny asked.
“I mean, you could shoot the batter up your arm but I’m sure that would be dangerous and possibly painful,” Lexa answered.
“Don’t care. I am willingly to take that risk.” Danny grabbed 3 brownies and stacked them on his plate.
“Save some for the rest of us, fat ass,” Prez said. Danny paused and stared at Prez.
“I physically just stopped myself from hissing at you, man. These brownies are doing something to me.” Everyone laughed.
“Just don’t tell Brent you like her brownies. Her ego is big enough,” Lexa said.
“I will marry your sister if it means she will make me more of these brownies,” Camille joked.
“Why does she go by ‘Brent’?” Danny asked. Lexa c***ed her head in thought.
“I know she started going by Brent in her freshman year. I remember her telling me people she liked how surprised people were when they realized Brent Banks was a girl.” Lexa shrugged. “I think she’s just trying to figure out herself.” Danny nodded satisfied with his answer.
“Danny, why are you so nosy?” Prez asked.
“Hey man, I can’t help it if I’m a curious person,” Danny defended.
“Curiosity killed the cat.”
“And satisfaction brought it back.”
“If cats only have 9 lives does that mean on its last life it will never be satisfied?” Camille asked.
“Woah there,” Danny joked. “Slow down Camille. The rest of us aren’t ready for that level of deep thinking yet.” Camille smiled and Danny found himself smiling back. Prez cleared his throat loudly interrupting the moment Camille and Danny were sharing.
“If you two are done eye banging,” Prez said.
“Sorry, we didn’t have time to get it out of our system like you and Lex.” Lexa’s face got hot but she stopped herself from looking down.
“Yeah, because you were late.”
“Why were you late?” Camille asked.
“I know why he was late,” Prez announced.
“Shut up,” Danny warned.
“He wanted to look his best and couldn’t decide what to wear,” Prez said.
“Hey Lex, did you know Prez calls me before you two go out because he needs a pep talk so he’s doesn’t get nervous?” Lexa’s face couldn’t help but to look down at the table and smile. Camille, on the other hand, held her head high feeling proud that she had an effect on Danny.
The boys shot embarrassing confessions and stories back and forth trying to outdo the last as the girls listened and giggled. The banter died down and Prez lifted Lexa’s chin. “Stop that,” he whispered and placed a kiss on her forehead. She smiled and nodded. “I think it’s time for us to go.”
“Good. Looking at your ugly face is making my stomach hurt,” Danny joked. Prez held up his middle finger and began packing the leftover food he and Lexa brought.
“I should probably go too,” Camille said.
“Really?” Danny asked.
“Yeah. I rode my bike here and I better get going so I’m not pedaling in the dark.”
“I have a truck,” Danny offered. “We can put your bike in the back and I can give you a ride home.”
“That’d be nice.”
“I’d think twice about that Camille,” Prez warned. “That truck is a death trap.”
“My truck may be old, but she is safe and runs like a dream. All she needs is a paint job,” Danny assured.
“I’m going to trust your word on that,” Camille said as she finished putting her leftovers (and the last of the brownies) in her basket.
“I’m going to go find the car,” Lexa said and left the table.
“I should probably pull my truck up too,” Danny said as he ran off.
“Walk with me while I get my bike?” Camille asked Prez. They started walking and Camille stared at her feet. “She’s amazing,” she admitted.
“You think so?”
“Yeah, I really do. And adorable and sweet and honest. I see the appeal.”
“So you’re not sad?” Camille shook her head.
“Surprisingly, no. I’m not. I’m happy for you. And believe it or not, I think I might like Danny.” Prez chuckled.
“I think the feeling is mutual.”
“Really?” Camille unlocked her bike from the bike rack. They heard a honk and saw Danny jump out of his truck. Lexa pulled up behind him. Prez and Camille walked in their direction. “Thank you,” Camille muttered as she approached Danny who, took her bike and put it in his trunk. Prez hopped in the passenger side of Lexa’s car. He felt like he finally scratched an annoying, unreachable itch on his back.
Danny and Camille drove off (their evening ended with an intense kissing session in Camille’s driveway). Lexa waited. She looked at Prez who was leaned back and had his eyes closed. “Are you okay?” she asked.
“I’m fantastic.”
“Why do you look dead?”
“Because your beauty has killed me.” Prez smirked. “Lift your head and let’s go home.”

“But isn’t that illegal?” Kiri asked me as I slipped snacks into my ‘movie purse’.
“Technically, yes,” I answered.
“Breaking the law is wrong, Sonya.” We were parked outside the movie theater after a quick trip to the corner store.
“The price of snacks in that movie theater is wrong!” I argued. Kiri gave me a look like a disappointed parent. “Look, as a teacher I agree. Breaking rules is wrong and you shouldn’t do it but luckily we’re not in school and you’re not my student.” Kiri crossed her arms. “You’re not coming are you?”
“It’s either me or the smuggled goods.” I groaned.
“Kiri, come on. Lighten up.”
“Think of the example you’re setting.” I sighed.
“When did you become the parent here?”
“As soon as you started living the life of a convict.”
“It’s not that bad. Everyone does it.” Kiri rolled her eyes. “Well, I’m not buying movie theater snacks.” Kiri shrugged.
“Let’s just go home and watch movies in our pajamas.” I smiled.
“I like the way you think.” I pulled out of the parking lot. “So when are you going to tell your dad you want to change schools?”
“I don’t know. I don’t want him to freak out and say I need to be a ‘normal’ kid.”
“Maybe we can talk to him together.”
“Really?”
“Sure why not.”
“How about tonight? When he gets home?”
“Sounds like a plan.” We got home and immediately changed into our pajamas. Kiri closed all the blinds and turned off the lights while I popped popcorn and turned the coffee table into a snack bar. We got comfy and decided to watch a chick flick. Jim walked in while we were watching the previews.
“I thought you two were going to the movies,” he said as he turned on a light.
“Lights off!” Kiri and I yelled and Jim quickly turned it off.
“There was a change in plans,” I said. “For moral reasons, we decided to watch a movie at home.” Jim threw his keys on the coffee table and sat next to me.
“Rule number 1 of Kiri and Sonya movie night: you must wear pajamas,” Kiri said.
“You heard her,” I confirmed. “No pajamas, no movie.” I turned to Kiri. “I thought it was Sonya and Kiri movie night.”
“Kiri and Sonya flows better.” Jim got up and came back a few minutes later in his pajamas. “Can we just have popcorn and candy for dinner?” Kiri asked.
“I’m down,” I said and turned to Jim who just shrugged.
“It seems to me that I’m already outvoted,” he said. Kiri high fived me and we played the movie.
By the end of the movie Jim was asleep, I was in tears and Kiri was full of questions. “So they didn’t get married?”
“No,” I answered. “He left her at so he could be with the woman he loved.”
“But they had a wedding.”
“That was just what she imagined the wedding would have been like.”
“So why did he propose if he was in love with someone else?”
“Because he didn’t know he loved her yet.”
“This movie is confusing.” I laughed and shook Jim awake. I nodded at Kiri signaling that it was time. She turned off the TV and we waited until Jim was fully awake.
“Why are you two staring at me?” he yawned.
“We need to talk,” I said.
“Did I break another movie night rule?” Kiri and I shook our heads.
“Go ahead Kiri,” I encouraged. Kiri stood in front of Jim and me and cleared her throat dramatically.
“Daddy. I would like to go to the advanced academics school, Achievement Academy.” Jim stared at Kiri and then turned on me.
“Did you put her up to this?” he asked.
“What? No. She told me that she wanted to go and I only encouraged her to tell you herself.”
“It’s really ironic that a while ago she didn’t know and now all of a sudden she wants to go.”
“I’ve been wanting to go for a long time,” Kiri confessed. “I just didn’t like that it was Sonya’s idea.”
“Kiri, sweetheart, you can tell me the truth,” Jim said.
“She is!” I said. “I’m not like brainwashing her!”
“Maybe you are. You were pretty upset that she didn’t like you and now all of a sudden she’s being super sweet and spending extra time with you.”
“Did you really just say that?” I narrowed my eyes. “Jim, I swear, you better choose your next words very carefully.”
“Stop it!” Kiri demanded. “Daddy, this is what I want. This is my decision. I’m getting bored of teaching my teacher.”
“Fine. I’ll believe it after you tell me why you’re being super chummy with Sonya lately,” Jim said with his arms crossed.
“I want you to know that I am fighting the urge to punch you in the face right now,” I mumbled to Jim. I looked at Kiri who looked torn. I had never seen Kiri so uncomfortable. Her eyes quickly went from Jim and me. “Kiri. It’s okay. Just say what’s on your mind.” Kiri visibly relaxed a bit.
“By definition, Sonya is my mother,” she said quietly. “And I realized that I need a mother. Then I realized Sonya needs me just as much as I need her.” I blinked back tears. I’m a soft person and I embrace that.
“What do you mean she needs you?” Jim asked leaning forward. Kiri’s look of distress returned and I knew what she was battling to say.
“What she means is,” I intervened. “A while ago before we met,” I forced my voice through a tightening throat. “I had a baby that died and I told Kiri as a secret, which I shouldn’t have done because that’s a big secret for a little girl. I’m sorry, Kiri.”
“No worries Sonya,” Kiri said. Tears were on my face but they felt nice so I left them there.
“I didn’t tell you because I was trying to forget it and replace my daughter with Kiri. Which is also wrong.” I took a deep breath. “That is why Kiri and I have been hanging out a lot lately. There it is. So can she go to the damn school?” Jim nodded.
“Yeah,” he said. “We’ll get her enrolled Monday.”
“Great. Excuse me,” I said. I stood and went into my bathroom, closed the door, sat in the bathtub and cried.
I was sobbing so hard I ended up getting the hiccups. Someone knocked on the bathroom door. “Sonya,” Jim’s voice called before he opened the bathroom door.
“I’m fine,” I lied. Jim came and picked me up out of the bathtub and I buried my face in his neck as he carried me to our bed and cradled me. I started crying harder and Jim rocked me like a child.
“It’s okay,” he whispered. “You have a family that loves you and a daughter that’s here to stay.” I opened my eyes when I felt a small hand rested on my leg. Kiri gave me a small smile.
“I’m not going anywhere,” she said. “At least not until college.”

Sonya, Kiri, and Jim came over for Christmas. Since Hunter always put a gift for everyone under her artificial Christmas tree, they came over to open a few presents and eat dinner.
The smell Hunter’s buffet created had my mouth watering. But I had been strictly forbidden to touch any of the food before dinner time. “Oh my god she is so cute!” Sonya exclaimed while playing with Oreo. “Eli, you better keep tabs on this kitten or I might walk out the door with her.”
“Someone please take that cat away from her,” Jim said.
“Why don’t we have a pet?” Sonya asked.
“Because pets require care,” Jim said.
“Kiri and I would take care of it. Right, Kiri?”
“What? I wasn’t listening,” Kiri admitted.
“Put your book down for a second. Your dad is getting us a pet.”
“Really?” Kiri bounced on the couch. “Let’s get a puppy!”
“If we got a pet it would be a fish,” Jim’s voice faded.
“So let’s get a shark!” Sonya suggested.
“That would be awesome!” Kiri announced.
“We are not getting a shark,” Jim stated.
“Jimmy, get your hands away from my pie,” Hunter said.
“I’m not going to eat it.”
“I know, you’re critiquing it. So get away from it.”
“Fine. I just wish you had let me make a pie; or anything for that matter.”
“No. We all eat your stuff all the time, let me have a chance to shine. I’m not going to tell you again to get away from my pie.” Jim footsteps left the kitchen and came into the living room.
“What’s your book about Kiri?” I asked.
“A typical teen romance. The loser girl likes popular guy. She gets his attention and they fall in love. The difference in this one is that the popular boy’s brother is in love with the girl too, so she has to choose between them.”
“That sounds deep. Which one do you think she is going to pick?”
“She’s going to end up with the brother because she wants the popular guy and everyone knows if you want something you end up with the opposite.”
“Is that book appropriate for a 6 year old?” Jim asked.
“Don’t worry, there’s no sex in it.”
“Do you even know what sex is?” Hunter asked.
“I read about it. It’s when a boy puts his-.”
“Okay!” Jim said. “No more teen romances! We are monitoring what you read from now on.”
“The girl reads like 20 books a week,” Sonya said.
“We will try to monitor what you read from now on.”


Lexa answered the knock on her door and revealed a very cold Prez. “What are you doing here?” she asked pulling him inside.
“I am here to deliver a gift,” Prez answered.
“Prez!” Mrs. Banks embraced him. “It’s so nice to see you. Are you staying for dinner?”
“No. He’s just-”
“Actually, Mrs. Banks, if you would have me, I would love to stay for dinner,” Prez interrupted Lexa.
“Fantastic! I hope you like honey ham!” Mrs. Banks left the room.
“I hope you like honey ham,” Lexa mocked her mom’s voice.
“That’s not nice,” Brent said as she entered the room. “Hey anus face.”
“Your insults are getting more colorful,” Prez said.
“I’ve got tons of ‘em.” Brent went into the kitchen.
“She’s a ray of sunshine.”
“Is your mom going to chew me out for stealing you on Christmas?” Lexa asked.
“No. I already told her I was having dinner here.”
“Can you please start communicating your plans to me? Especially if they involve me.”
“I’ll try but it’s more fun to see that shocked look on your face.”
“You suck.” Prez kissed Lexa.
“Love you too.”


“Finally! It’s like you were trying to starve me!” I said as I heard the clink of Hunter placing my plate on the table.
“Mr. Eli, how do you eat when you can’t see your plate?” Kiri asked.
“I put the food in my mouth,” I said with a chuckle. “I taste everything in small bites and then I can picture my plate. You should try it, close your eyes.” I heard Kiri’s fork stab the table.
“Kiri open your eyes before my table is covered in holes,” Hunter said.
“I guess it takes practice,” I said.
“What’s it like being blind?”
“Kiri!” Jim scolded but I smiled.
“It’s like closing your eyes to go to sleep and then not opening them anymore,” I answered.
“Are you sad that you’re blind?”
“Kiri, I think that’s enough questions,” Sonya said.
“She’s just curious,” I said. “I’m not sad. My imagination is pretty happy.”
“Do you just picture everything?” Kiri asked. I nodded. “What do I look like?” I smiled.
“You’re orange with butterfly wings and teeth like a shark.”
“That’s pretty accurate,” Sonya said.
“I wish I had wings,” Kiri admitted.
“I wish I had shark teeth,” I said.
“I wish I had telekinesis,” Sonya added.
“Oo! I want telekinesis too!” Kiri said. “That way I wouldn’t even have to move to get my books or turn the pages or walk! I would just lift myself!”
“Sounds like you would get really fat,” Hunter said.
“It would be worth it.”
“If you were fat, there would be no more piggy back rides,” Jim said.
“Or candy during movie nights. We’ll have to eat celery sticks or carrots and healthy junk,” Sonya said.
“You’d be on a super strict diet,” Hunter said.
“I don’t like those odds,” Kiri said.
“It’s what would have to happen to keep you healthy,” I said.
“I think I’m happy with myself the way I am now. Even without telekinesis.”
“We like you the way you are too,” Sonya said.
“When do we open presents?” I asked.
“After dinner,” Kiri answered.
“Well hurry up. I’m dying to know what Hunter bought for the blind guy.”


“For all we know, aliens could’ve brought STDs to Earth so that they could wipe out the human race at the source,” Mr. Banks concluded. Lexa’s face was buried in her hands and was groaning like a wounded animal. Prez was fully indulged in the conversation between Mr. and Mrs. Banks. Brent was eating, ignoring the other people at the table.
“That’s highly unlikely. STDs are a human disease that can be prevented. If aliens wanted to wipe us out, why would they make diseases that can be prevented?”
“They didn’t expect humans to be as smart as we are. They didn’t expect us to find a loophole.” Mr. Banks pointed at Prez. “Did you know that every major world leader is most likely an alien in disguise?” Prez shook his head. “They are. That’s why they send us off to fight senseless wars and turn us against each other: to distract us from the real enemy. We need to join together and get aliens out of office and force them off our planet. I just sent a book off to my publisher that explains the ideal game plan. It’s disguised as a story so that the aliens don’t catch on. Aliens don’t read science fiction, they think it’s dumb. That’s how I stay one step ahead.”
“You sound ridiculous,” Lexa said. “And I thought we agreed no alien talk until after dinner.”
“Sorry, you’re right. Prez, I am going to take you on a journey of enlightenment after dinner.” Lexa shook her head wildly.
“I look forward to it sir,” Prez said. Lexa rolled her eyes.
“Brent, you haven’t said much. Don’t you have something you want to share?” Lexa asked. Brent glared at Lexa, cursing her with her eyes. “No? Then I guess I’ll share the good news.”
“What are you talking about?” Mrs. Banks asked.
“Brent got a perfect score on her practice SAT test.”
“Really? Why didn’t you tell us?”
“It’s not a big deal,” Brent mumbled.
“Not a big deal? Brent, do you know how great this is?”
“It’s just a practice test.”
“Yes, but this practice test makes you eligible for scholarships and grabs the attention of colleges and opens doors and windows of possibilities.”
“Maybe I don’t want those possibilities.” The table froze.
“What do you mean?” Mrs. Banks asked with a nervous laugh. Brent dropped her fork.
“Maybe I don’t want scholarships and attention from colleges.”
“I thought you wanted to be a surgeon,” Mr. Banks said.
“I said I might want to be a surgeon. I don’t know what I want to do. What’s the big deal?”
“You can’t just spend your life doing nothing,” Mrs. Banks said.
“But why do I have to make life changing decisions now when they don’t even trust me to vote yet? Dad if you say anything about aliens I will explode.” Mr. Banks closed his mouth. “I’m going to leave high school and go learn about something that I think I might want to do for the rest of my life, but what if I hate it? 4 years in high school isn’t enough time for me to know what I’m interested in and what I’m good at. Maybe I want to live before devoting my life to a career that I might like.” Everyone stayed silent. Brent picked her fork back up and mindlessly pushed food around her plate.
“Uh Brent?” Prez killed the muteness in the room. “You don’t have to focus on just one thing. There are elective classes and clubs and even stuff you can do outside of school. No one is saying that at this moment you have to decide what your life is going to look like. You have plenty of time. It’s your life; take your time and figure it out. I’m sure your family will stand behind you no matter what.”
“That’s right, sweetheart,” Mrs. Banks said and placed her hand on Brent’s. “We’ll support you no matter what.” Brent nodded and looked down at her plate.
“Thanks pig feces.”


“What did you get Sonya?” Kiri asked. Sonya was opening her gift delicately, careful to not rip or tear the wrapping paper.
“Oh Hunter, you got me a world map poster. How thoughtful,” Sonya said.
“It’s for your classroom. You can put it up and use it in class when you guys do geometry,” Hunter said.
“Geography.”
“Whatever.”
“I’m sure my students will love it. Here I got you something too.”
“A sewing kit! Sonya you shouldn’t have!”
“Well, I remember you said you wanted to start sewing so…”
“Jeez, Sonya, make the rest of our gifts look bad, why don’t you?” Kiri said.
“Oh, I love anything you guys give me,” Hunter assured. “What did you get for me Kiri?”
“I got you a 101 recipe cookbook!”
“I will cook every recipe, if you help me.”
“It would be my pleasure!” Kiri was bouncing on the couch. “What’s in the box with my name on it, Granny?”
“Open it and see.” Kiri ripped into the wrapping paper noisily, far different from Sonya’s cautious tears.
“A Stephen King book set!”
“Are those appropriate for a 6 year old?” Jim asked.
“There are appropriate for an intellectual,” Hunter shot.
“If you say so… Here’s my gift, Ma.”
“Oh, Jimmy it’s so cute.”
“What is it?” I asked.
“It’s a pink teddy bear holding a heart that says ‘World’s Best Grandma’. Oh, thank you Jimmy.” I heard that smack of Hunter’s kiss.
“Alright, my turn,” I said. “Kiri, can you get that small bag from under my bed and give it to your grandma?” Kiri’s footsteps moved quickly.
“What is it?” Hunter asked.
“You have to open it to find out!” Kiri said. I listened to the tissue paper scream as Hunter pulled it out of the bag. “The bag says ‘Happy Birthday’,” Kiri whispered to me.
“Great,” I muttered. Hunter started laughing. I smiled knowing she had pulled out a colorful golf ball. “There’s more.” I heard Hunter gasp. The necklace had cost me 50 bucks and it had a pair of dance shoes as the pendant. Kiri had picked it out herself.
“It’s so pretty,” Hunter said. She sat next to me on the couch and hugged me. “Thank you. Here.” Hunter handed me a piece of paper and I felt myself frown.
“What’s this?”
“An appointment date.”
“What?”
“Well, Mitchell is knows this fancy eye doctor and he told him about your eyes. They pulled a few strings and said to bring you in for a quick check up and if you want, they can do the surgery that same day.”
“Surgery? Hunter, what are you talking about?”
“Your eyesight. They can fix it. The way they were damaged, it’s possible to repair them. The procedure isn’t 100% guaranteed to fix your eyes since they’re still testing it but the worst that can happen is that you stay blind,” Hunter rambled.
“Hunter, are you serious?”
“Yes! Eli! You might be able to see again!”
“When is the appointment?”
“In a couple days. They’ll do the surgery, wrap you up, and they should be able to take off the bandages in a couple of weeks!” I hugged Hunter. I tried not to squeeze too hard. She laughed and hugged me back.
“I told you they were going to fall in love,” Kiri whispered. I laughed and let Hunter go. She wiped away the acid that was burning my cheeks.


Prez was fighting off a food coma on Lexa’s couch as he listening to Mr. Banks rant. “I’m telling you. You kids are the future! We have to educate the young so that you know to be on the lookout.” Prez nodded.
“Right. But how can we tell the difference between humans and aliens?” Prez asked. Lexa was helping clean the kitchen, annoyed that Prez was entertaining her father’s ridiculous fantasy.
“I like you Prez, you know what the important questions are.” Lexa smiled after hearing of her father’s approval of Prez. “The key is emotion. Aliens naturally have none. So a person who is emotionally detached or can only show one emotion is what?”
“An alien.”
“Exactly!”
“How do you know all of this?”
“We live in the 21st century! All valuable information comes from the internet! You kids should know that better than anyone!”
“They teach us that not all of the information from the internet is entirely true.”
“A rumor put into circulation by aliens to throw us off track.” Prez was impressed with Mr. Banks’s commitment to his belief. “You know what other lies the aliens put out there?” Mr. Banks began counting on his hand. “Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Superheroes, leprechauns. All ploys to distract our children because once they know their favorite characters don’t exist, they don’t believe in anything other than what’s right in front of them.”
“Man, they’re smart.”
“But we are smarter. The girls in this house don’t listen to me, they’ll regret that when cats help the aliens take over.” Prez couldn’t help but laugh.
“Cats?”
“You’re laughing now but cats are sneaky. Always napping. They’re actually spying on us and reporting to their leaders with mind reading devices.”
“Okay!” Lexa interrupted. “I am sure Prez’s parents are waiting for him to get home.”
“That’s true. Thank you, Mr. Banks. We should finish this conversation soon.” Mr. Banks stood and shook Prez’s hand, an action Prez was proud of.
“Come by anytime,” Mr. Banks said.
“Dad, could you give us a minute?” Lexa asked.
“Are you two going to make out?”
“Of course.” Mr. Banks laughed, catching Lexa’s sarcasm and left the living room. “I hope you enjoyed yourself.”
“You know, it’s actually pretty scary how much he says makes sense,” Prez said.
“He’s not in the room, stop kissing ass.” Prez laughed and grabbed his coat from the couch.
“I’m serious. Have you actually sat and listened to him?”
“I usually zone out.”
“Well stop.” Prez reached in his coat pocket and pulled out a slim black box with a tiny silver bow.
“What’s that?” Lexa asked. Prez handed the box to her.
“Open it and find out.” Lexa opened the box and revealed a gold chain with a gold heart on it.
“You didn’t.”
“It’s a locket. Open it.” Lexa took the necklace out of its case and opened the locket. Inside was a small picture of Prez and Lexa wide- eyed and confused staring straight ahead. Lexa laughed. “I borrowed the picture from your mom. Along with a few others.” On the other half of the locket was Prez looking down at Lexa holding her chin up to look at him.
“I love it,” Lexa said. Prez held out his hand and Lexa handed him the locket. She turned around and moved her hair out of the way so Prez could place the locket on her neck. They both jumped as they were ambushed by a flash of light. They turned and saw Lexa’s mom holding a camera. “Mom, stop doing that!”
“Every moment counts, Lexa,” Mrs. Banks said with her hand on her hip. “I’m just trying to capture as many as I can.”
“Just go away.” Mrs. Banks stuck out her tongue before leaving. Prez chuckled.
“I love your family,” he said.
“Go love your own family,” Lexa joked.
“Alright, alright.” Prez kissed Lexa’s forehead, then her cheek and finally her lips. Lexa wrapped her hands around Prez’s neck and their lips danced. Another bright light attacked them.
“Mom! Seriously?”
“Every moment!”


“Mr. Thomas, you seem to be in perfect health,” Dr. Stacey Martin said. She was a sweet woman with a voice that put the butterflies in my stomach to rest and smelled of peppermint. “This is miraculous given your previous predicament but it seems that whoever is taking care of you is doing an extraordinary job.” I smiled.
“I’ll tell her you said that,” I said. “Doc, be honest with me. Do you think you can fix my eyes?”
“I believe it is possible to restore your eyesight, but it’s a 50/50 chance. But if we are unable to repair your eyesight, we will find a way to provide you with a walking stick and/or a service dog. Either way, you will be taken care of.”
“How much will all of this be?”
“I have been given specific instructions to not tell you that. Your bill is being handled.”
“Can you at least tell me how?”
“Remember when we had you sign as a test subject?” I nodded. “Well, the hospital will pay for the cost because you volunteered.”
“One more question. When do we start?”
“The surgery can take place in 30 minutes or next week. It’s really up to you and how long you feel you’ll need.”
“I’m ready whenever you are, Doc.”
“We’ll start prepping. A nurse will be in her shortly with your robe.”
“Uh Doc?”
“Yes?”
“Is it possible to put me to sleep?”
“I think we can arrange that.” The door opened and then closed. A nurse came in and helped me into a dress like thing than felt as thin as a cheap napkin. I didn’t understand why my clothes had to be replaced, they were only working on my eyes. I was lead to another room and sat on a mattress. The nurse placed a mask over my mouth and after a few deep breaths, it was dark.
“Elijah, wake up.” I opened my eyes and saw my mother. I couldn’t help but smile. Her face was warm and loving. I jumped up and hugged her.
“Mama! I’ve missed you so much.”
“I’ve missed you too baby. How have you been?”
“Never better. I’ve got a second chance with Hunter and I can see!”
“This is just a dream baby. You can’t see just yet.” I frowned.
“I’ll be grateful for what I’ve got.”
“That’s my boy.” I looked around. I was in my old bedroom sitting up in my bed.
“I’m not ready to go back to darkness Mama,” I admitted.
“It’s okay. You’re surrounded by people that love you and as long as you are loved, you will never be in darkness.” My mother began to fade away like a hologram.
“Don’t go Mama,” I begged. “Stay just a little longer.”
“You don’t need me. You are loved.”
I woke up and rubbed the soft squares over my eyes. An eye patch was over each eye holding the soft squares in place. “Elijah?”
“Mama?” I called.
“No, it’s Dr. Stacey. How are you feeling?”
“Uh, my head hurts.”
“That’s to be expected. I am going to prescribe you to some painkillers. Hunter is here to pick you up.”
“Hunter! Let’s go to Hunter.” Dr. Stacey helped lift me up and place me in a wheelchair.
“Roger, could you please?” I was pushed, dozing in and out.
“How is he?” I heard Hunter’s voice.
“Hunter! Let’s go home.” I tried to stand and was caught by a strong hand when I slipped. “Woah. That was scary.” The strong hand held me up.
“He’ll be a little loopy for a couple hours. Here’s his prescription,” Dr. Stacey had such a pretty voice. Not as pretty as Sonya’s but a close second.
“Come on Eli,” Hunter said. The strong hand guided me to Hunter’s car. I sat down and Hunter buckled my seatbelt before driving off. “How do you feel, Eli?”
“I feel great! Thank you so very much Hunter.” Hunter laughed.
“You’re welcome so very much. I am happy for you.”
“I’ll be happy when I can see your smile again.”
“That’s very sweet.”
“You’re very sweet! Like candy.”
“Thank you.” Hunter was giggling nonstop.
“I love it when you laugh. You should laugh all the time.”
“I’ll think about that.”
“You’re so great. I love you so much.” Hunter laughed. “Hey. No. I’m serious. I love you.”
“I love you too, Eli.”
“Do you really?”
“Yes. I really do.”
“Hunter, I need you to listen to me, seriously.”
“Alright.”
“Are you listening to me with seriousness?” Hunter laughed.
“I am listening with complete seriousness.”
“Hunter.”
“Yes?”
“Marry me.”

Christmas is hard for me sometimes because it was on Christmas day that my parents decided they wanted nothing more to do with me. Sure, I may have welcomed the decision at the time but I really missed my dad. My dad was always sweeter than my mother. Unfortunately, he was also loyal to her.
It was the Christmas after Georgia had passed and I was still freshly divorced. I sat in front of the fireplace, gripping a cup of my dad’s infamous hot chocolate, and staring at the cross hanging on the wall.
“It’s good to have you home pumpkin,” my dad said, patting my head. I smiled.
“This is only until I can find an apartment,” I said.
“It’s still nice to have you here.” Then my mother entered the room. Her hair was pulled back in tight bun and she wore her reading glasses. Her glasses always hid her eyes. They were like glass jade orbs and I loved seeing them. She glared at me and I avoided eye contact. She wore an obnoxiously huge cross on her neck and had made it a house rule that everyone must be sporting the cross in some way as long as they lived in the house, the result of me losing my first cross necklace… when I was 5.
I played with my bracelet. It was several fat silver balls with a black cross perfectly painted on each one. I hadn’t worn it since I had moved out and it felt strange to have it on now. “I agree, it is nice to have you here, Sonya,” my mother said.
“Thank you for having me, Mother.” Mother huffed and kneeled in front of the fireplace. “Kneel and grab my hand.” I followed my orders and followed my mother’s gaze to the cross on the wall. She began to pray and though I bowed my head and said ‘amen’, I wasn’t paying attention to the words she was saying.
I used to hang on the every word when my mother and I prayed. I was fascinated with religion and the idea of an all-powerful being in the sky. It was in high school I began to have doubts and questions. I tried talking to my mother about it which only ended in more prayers.
Mother stood and looked down at me. “Where’s your Bible?” she asked. My eyes widened. It wasn’t that I didn’t know where my Bible was, I knew exactly where it was: in a box in a storage unit.
“It’s packed up,” I said.
“Well, go get it from your suitcase.”
“It’s not in my suitcase.” I bowed my head trying to hide from the fire in my mother’s eyes.
“What do you mean?” she asked. “How do you not have your Bible with you at all times?”
“I must have accidentally packed it with my other books.”
“When was the last time you read the good book?”
“I borrowed Father’s last night.”
“Good.” I thought I was in the clear. I let out a breath of relief but quickly took it back. “What church are you going to?” I kept my head bowed. “Sonya? What is the name of your church? Stand up and speak.” I stood but I didn’t speak. “Are you going to church? Do not lie.” I hesitated and then shook my head. Mother began to leave the room and I followed her.
“But I read my Bible every night, so I don’t see why it’s so important that I go to church and hear the same words that I’m reading.” My mother went into her office and pulled out a long meter stick.
“Stick out your hands,” she demanded.
“Mother, I am a grown woman. You are not going to hit me with that.”
“I will beat the devil out of you if I have to. Now stick out your hands.”
“No.” Mother swung the stick towards my legs. I grabbed it before it could hit me. It stung but I managed to avoid wincing. I snatched the meter stick out of her hands and snapped it in half over my leg. Mother gave me a look of pure hatred.
“Look at you. I don’t even know who you are anymore. You’ve become a heathen. No wonder God took his child back from you.” I slapped her. Hard. My hand stung from the hit and my hand print was flashing on her face. Mother held her face and stared at me with shock and disgust.
“Get out,” she said. “We don’t want you here any longer. Pack your things and get out.” I turned to leave the office and saw Father standing in the doorway. He looked powerless. I ran into his arms and he gave me one of his bear hugs that I loved so much. “Get out!”
I quickly packed my things and went to stay with a friend. She was religious too, but only I had the crazed mother. For a few months, Father and I would call each other until Mother found out. She called me to tell me she was blocking my number and if I “bother” them again she would take me to court for harassment. That was the last I had heard of my parents. They never met Jim or Kiri, which may be for the best. My mother would no longer see the light of day if Kiri’s hands were ever touched with a meter stick.


Lexa’s phone had 19 missed calls from Danny and was once again ringing. “What is it Danny?” Lexa answered.
“Lexa,” Danny said breathless.
“Did you just call me Lexa? Is everything okay?”
“Not exactly, unlock your door.” Lexa jumped out of bed and ran downstairs.
“Danny, it’s almost midnight. This better not be a joke.”
“It’s far from a joke Lexa.” Lexa opened her door and saw Danny holding up and red eyed Prez. His usual charm and luster gone. His eyes were glued to the ground and his legs looked ready to give out. “He won’t talk. He showed up at my house like this and I didn’t understand what was wrong, until I saw the news.”
“Come in,” Lexa said. Danny lead Prez inside and sat him on the couch. He turned back to Lexa. “What happened? What’s wrong?”
“There was a fire. His dad went in to save a little girl; the girl came out…his dad didn’t.” Lexa looked at Prez. He was sunken into the couch, staring into nothingness. “I didn’t know what else to do. He won’t talk and I’m pretty sure he hasn’t blinked in an hour.” Lexa sat down next to Prez and lifted his chin to look at her as he has done so many times before. He looked through her. He felt numb and empty.
His dad was a good man. He didn’t deserve to go out like this. Not trapped under a house caving in. He deserved to die a hero, as he had, but not for another 20 years or more. Prez’s eyes were shallow. “Prez?” Lexa called. “It’s going to be okay. Just talk to us. Tell us what you’re feeling. Is there anything we can do? Is there anything you need?” Prez’s face didn’t move.
Footsteps quietly came downstairs. Brent passed through the living room and went into the kitchen. She came back into the living room with two brownies and a glass of milk. She set them on the coffee table and went back upstairs, without saying a word. Prez’s eyes glanced at the plate and then closed his eyes. His body shook and he collapsed onto Lexa. He began sobbing onto Lexa’s shoulder. Danny sat in the recliner chair, waiting for his cue to jump in. Lexa wrapped her arms around Prez who responded by squeezing Lexa. Prez sobbed for hours.
Thanks to Brent, no one questioned the 3 sleeping teens in the living room.


“I told you!” Kiri said as she jumped off the couch to hug Hunter, the only parental figure I have accepted in my life.
“So wait, you two are getting married?” I asked for the 3rd time. Hunter nodded. “Does Jim know?”
“You two are the first to know,” Hunter said.
“Why the sudden decision?”
“Because they’re in love!” Kiri answered. Hunter laughed.
“That’s as good an answer as any,” Hunter said.
“Did he give you a ring?” I asked. Hunter flashed a sliver band with an impressive diamond at me.
“Oh no. Did Eli rob a bank? Where did he get that thing?”
“It’s his mother’s ring, the only thing he has held on to from her.”
“What’s the date?”
“We haven’t decided yet.”
“It should be on my birthday! That would be a great present!” Kiri said.
“Kiri, your birthday is a month away. That’s not enough time to plan a wedding,” I said. Kiri pouted.
“It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just something small with family. The only things we need is a dress and someone to marry us. No doubt Serena can get us a dress,” Hunter said, gears turning in her head. I sighed.
“I can find someone to marry you.” Kiri cheered.
That’s how I ended up outside of my parents’ house with Kiri in the passenger seat.
“Just go knock on the door,” Kiri said.
“I will. I just need a minute to think,” I said.
“Think about what?”
“If this is worth it…”
“Of course it is! This is Granny’s wedding! And my chance to be a flower girl again!”
“I’m just nervous I guess.”
“How about we go together?” I smiled at Kiri.
“Okay, let’s go.” We got out of the car and Kiri ran up the stairs of my parents’ ridiculous sized house. She knocked on the door and I stood behind her. The door opened and we were greeted by a balding fat man wearing an ugly sweater and charming smile.
“Father!” I couldn’t help but to jump into my dad’s arms. He hugged me and pulled back to look at me. He saw Kiri and his bushy, furrowed eyebrows went up.
“Georgia?” he said.
“No, uh, Father, this is Kiri, my stepdaughter.”
“It’s nice to meet you,” Kiri said. My dad smiled at her.
“It’s nice to meet you too. What are you two lovely ladies doing here?” he asked.
“My granny is getting married!” Kiri said. “And we need to find a reverend to marry her and Mr. Eli.”
“Is that so?” My dad laughed. “I’ll go grab my address book.” My dad disappeared into the large house and came back out within a few seconds. He pointed inside a book full of phone numbers and addresses at Reverend Morgan’s information. I quickly took a picture.
“Thank you,” I said and gave my dad another hug. I began to walk away but stopped as Kiri went in for a hug from my dad too. He laughed and hugged her back waving us goodbye as we drove away.
“He seemed nice. Why were you worried?”
“Because Mother isn’t so nice.”
“Oh. Is she really mean?” I nodded. “Do you want to talk about it?” I shook my head.
“Why did you hug him?” I asked.
“I don’t know. It seemed like hugging him would be like hugging a giant marshmallow. Or a sheep. I had to test my hypothesis.”
“And what did you find out?”
“It was like hugging a giant, super fluffy sheep.” I laughed and sniffed a little.
“Yeah, yeah it is.”


Lexa had never been to a funeral before. But Prez had asked her to come so she borrowed a black dress from her mom and stood by Prez’s side during the entire funeral. He didn’t cry like majority of the people at the funeral and there was a large number there. Lots of people had been touched by Prez’s dad and Lexa thought that was something to be grateful for.
Prez was solid and cold. His face: expressionless. He was trying to hold it together for his mom who was bawling her eyes out. The noise bothered Prez but he didn’t focus on it, or anything for that matter. He just waited until he was called up to give his eulogy and when the time came, he, unintentionally, dragged Lexa up there with him and held her hand the entire time.
“I don’t know what to say. Everyone here is hurting and it’s really hard to think of comforting words when you’re hurting too. Instead, I’ll be honest. My dad was funny, charming, lied every now and then, but he always put others before himself. He has saved the lives of both animals and people. The worst part of this is that it was unexpected. None of us got to say goodbye or hear his last words to bank to memory. But I am happy with the way my dad died. He died loved and he died a hero. And I think that’s all he would’ve really wanted.” Prez bowed his head and Lexa began walking and he followed.
They lowered his dad into the ground and Prez let a single tear slip. “Hey, Prez. Hi, Lexa,” Minnie said. Prez didn’t speak and Lexa whispered a hello. “I liked your speech. It was nice and I know your dad would’ve loved it. He may even have added a few jokes in there just to spice it up.” Minnie let out a pained laugh. She turned to Lexa. “Take care of him.” Lexa nodded. Other people came and promised Prez support and told him good things he already knew about his father.
His grip on Lexa’s hand didn’t loosen and his face stayed neutral. His mom was the last to leave but Prez didn’t go with her. He stayed, with Lexa’s hand in his. Lexa didn’t speak, she didn’t object to being anchored in place, she didn’t move, she didn’t cry. She only stared, mystified, that someone she had sat and talked to, ate dinner with, and learned poker from, was now in the ground, lifeless. He didn’t even seem like the same person without his constant smile and shine that he shared with his son.
The sun was going down and it was only then that Lexa nudged Prez. “Hey you,” she said.
“Hi,” Prez answered. Lexa was surprised he had even spoken to her.
“It’s getting dark.”
“I know.”
“We should go home.” Prez nodded and Lexa turned to start walking. Prez grasped her hand tighter.
“Wait.” His face looked pained and tears rimmed his eyes. He took a deep breath and followed Lexa to her car. Prez got in the car and stared ahead. “I don’t want to go home,” he said.
“Where do you want to go?”
“Just drive.” And she did. She drove in circles until Prez asked her to stop in front of this dainty old house. He got out and knocked on the door. An old woman answered and hugged Prez happily. Lexa watched the woman’s smile turn into a frown as Prez talked to her. She nodded and closed her door. Prez came back into the car. “Now, we can go home.”
“Who was that?” Lexa asked.
“My grandmother. I’m taking her to visit his grave tomorrow.” Prez grabbed Lexa’s hand and held onto it. Lexa wasn’t an expert at driving with one hand but she managed to drive to Prez’s house safely. They sat in the car silently for a while. “Lexa.”
“Yes?”
“I’m not ready to let you go.” Prez’s grip tightened.
“You don’t have to.”
“I never want to let you go.” Prez closed his eyes and rubbed Lexa’s hand with his thumb. “I love you. Don’t let me go.”

The girls were driving themselves crazy planning a last minute wedding. I was told to stay out the way and look pretty. I welcomed the task. The less I had to do, the better. The plan was to be married in Sonya’s old church with Kiri as the flower girl. Jim would walk Hunter down the aisle and the only ones attending was Hunter’s close family.
Jim drove me to the doctor two weeks before the event to finally get these patches off my eyes (Hunter was busy dress hunting). “Aunt Brianne says she can’t wait for you to see so you can watch her fist come towards your face,” Jim said. I chuckled.
“She’s a ray of sunshine,” I said.
“This is a big moment. Are you ready?”
“I guess. I don’t know what to do with myself if I can see again. Probably just stare at everything.”
“You’ll be fine.”
“But, I may not be able to see.”
“Why are you so negative? The only thing you should be worrying about is that you’re stuck looking at my face instead of Ma’s.” Jim laughed. “Trust me, I’m not as pretty.” I laughed nervously. We parked and Jim lead me inside. They had been waiting for me, I was given a room almost immediately.
I sat on the doctor’s table and waited until I heard the door open and close. “Hello, Elijah. How are you today?” Dr. Stacey’s voice filled the room and my leg stopped shaking.
“I’m nervous Doc. A little antsy,” I admitted.
“Try to relax. We’ll take the eye patches off in a second. For now, just listen. We’re assuming that the procedure didn’t give you perfect eyesight and that you may need to wear glasses. I have here with me a case of different prescriptions that we think may work. Are you alright with wearing glasses? At least for a while? Contacts may not be safe for your eyes just yet.”
“I’m alright with glasses. I prefer not to put my finger in my eye anyway.”
“Okay. If it’s alright with you, I’m going to remove your bandages.” I nodded and I felt the soft squares slowly lift from my eyes. “Open your eyes, slowly.” I cracked my eyes open. It was still dark.
“I can’t see Doc.” I was frantic. My heart started pounding hard.
“Elijah, relax and continue to open your eyes slow and steady.” I continued to open my eyes and white light began to filter in. My eyes were open and everything was hazy but with a few blinks, I began to make out a female figure in front of me. I could see her smiling. “That smile is a giveaway, Elijah.” Dr. Stacey’s voice came from the figure in front of me. “Now I’m going to place a pair of glasses on your face. Tell me of they help.” I nodded. The figure placed the glasses on my face.
“It’s worse.” The glasses were quickly removed and another pair replaced them. I shook my head. This continued until around the 6th pair. My eyes slowly adjusted and I clearly saw the face of Dr. Stacey.
“Are those good?”
“These are perfect Doc.” I lifted my hand up in front of my face. My palm was scarred from broken glass. I looked around the room at the weird machines and tools that I have no name for.
“You may experience some headaches while your eyes adjust. But the painkillers you already have should handle that. Are you ready to go see the world?” I nodded and followed Dr. Stacey out of the room. “Roger,” she called. A large, tall man appeared. “Can you get Mr. Thomas’s paperwork for checkout?” Roger magically pulled out a clipboard and pointed at the places I needed to sign. My signature was loopy and sloppy like an elementary school kid learning cursive.
I walked out into the lounge and looked around. “Jim!” I called out. A man turned, saw me and smiled. I smiled back. The man walked towards me. His face was covered in stubble but he had a smile that reminded me of Hunter’s. “Jim.” I hugged the man in front of me and laughed. I pulled back.
“You can see,” he said.
“That’s right. I can see you and this ugly plaid shirt.”
“Have you seen what you’re wearing?” I looked down and saw a shirt that read “FREE HUGS”. “Kiri picked it out.”
“Oh God. What have you guys been making me wear?”
“It’s definitely been worse.” Jim laughed and I noticed how old he was. He was older than I had expected with bags under his eyes and smile lines.
“Jim, how old are you?”
“I’m 33. Why?”
“You’re way older than I expected.” Jim put a hand over his heart.
“That hurt.” I laughed weakly.
“Let’s go home.” The drive home was silent. I stared out the window taking in the green grass and trees and black silhouettes of birds flying and colorful cars. I was able to walk up the stairs to the apartment without counting and I smiled at the ugly blue door that lead inside.
“Surprise!” Hunter and everyone jumped up and beamed at me.
“Mr. Eli!” a little girl ran up to me and waved her hand at me. “Can you see me? What am I doing?”
“I can see you Kiri. You’re flinging your arm at me.” Kiri gasped and hugged my leg. I lifted her up and held her up high. She was smaller than I imagined and her eyes were big and innocent. “Where are your wings?” I asked.
“I put them away for the occasion.”
“Oh! This is so romantic!” squealed a woman that could only be Serena. “He’ll be able to see you down the aisle!” I followed Serena’s gaze to an aged, skeptical face. She was wearing a conservative purple dress that hugged her waist.
“I see you too, Hunter.” The woman’s eyes widened as if I was an alien. Her face hadn’t changed much. A wrinkle here and there but her eyes and lips and cheeks, those were the same. We stared at each other, unable to believe the other existed. The rest of the room disappeared and it was just me and her.
“Hello? Earth to aging lovebirds,” another woman interrupted. “I didn’t come here to watch you two stare at each other.”
“Brianne, your face is one I haven’t missed.”
“Oh, how cute. You’ve got jokes.”
“Who said I was joking?”
“Mom, this is the man’s party. Play nice,” a young man said. Next to him was a young man who shared his face.
“He started it,” Brianne argued.
“Matthew’s right Mom. Chill,” the other boy said. Brianne huffed and plopped on the couch. I noticed a small woman sitting on the edge of the couch staring at me.
“Sonya.” I guessed. The woman nodded. She shared big, innocent eyes like Kiri and if I didn’t know better, I would assume she was Kiri’s (birth) mother. Jim went into the kitchen and brought out a giant chocolate cake.
“You have to share this one,” he said. I frowned and looked at him. He shared most of Hunter’s features but some of his other features were familiar. I stared and I saw the discomfort in his face. Then I looked at Hunter’s still disbelieving face.
“Is Jim my son?”


Brent had dragged Lexa to the mall at night to buy pants and maybe a salty pretzel due to a sudden growth spurt. Brent was growing and she absolutely hated it. “Why can’t I just stay small and perfect forever?” she complained as they searched for decent jeans in her size.
“Because that’s not how puberty or life works,” Lexa answered pulling out a pair of jeans. “What about these?”
“Sure whatever. Let’s go home.” Brent scowled almost the entire ride home.
“You know, puberty isn’t that bad,” Lexa comforted.
“I’m not frowning at puberty, I’ve accepted that.”
“So what’s wrong with you?” Brent sighed.
“I don’t think I want to go by Brent anymore. Not after this year.”
“Why not?”
“I don’t know. I guess when I decided to change my name, I expected my personality to change but it hasn’t. I wear black and listen to badass music and smoked pot-”
“You smoked pot! Like marijuana?”
“Come on, I’m trying to open up to you here.”
“Okay. Sorry, it just caught me off guard.”
“I wanted to become this rebel kid that cared about no one but myself, but I still care and I’m still nice and I still make good grades and I’m still me. So after this school year no more Brent. I’m going to enjoy my last few months as Brent and then I’m done.”
“What brought on this change?”
“I realized I was still willing to help with this kind of stuff.” Lexa was confused until she approached their house and saw her driveway lined in white Christmas lights and a bright lights were shining on a hand painted poster that read: Hi Lexa. Prom? in light blue letters with hearts and stars poorly painted around it. Lexa parked on the curb and Brent disappeared into the house. Prez appeared in a white suit and a bouquet of roses in hand. Lexa’s hand covered her smile.
“What is all of this?” she asked Prez. Prez looked up at the sign.
“This is my promposal. I thought I got the message across pretty well.”
“I know, I mean. I just- … I-?”
“Lights were borrowed from Minnie but the poster, I made that all on my own.”
“I don’t know what to say, this is spectacular.” Prez offered the flowers to Lexa.
“You could say yes.” Lexa smiled.
“I don’t know, maybe I don’t want to go to prom with you,” she teased.
“Silly me,” Prez said and got down on one knee. “Lexa Banks, would you give me the immense pleasure of accompanying me to Prom?” Lexa laughed and nodded.
“I shall accompany you,” she said in an awful attempt at a British accent. Prez stood and kissed Lexa. A bright flash made the two teens jump, but they didn’t separate.
“I’m not sorry!” Mrs. Banks yelled before going back into the house. Lexa smiled up at Prez.
“Every moment counts.”


“You didn’t think that was slightly important for me to know?” I barked. I had set Kiri down and she was huddled up with Sonya. The joyful mood of the room had evaporated.
“Can’t we talk about this later?” Hunter asked. I took a breath and calmed myself.
“I think delaying this conversation any longer is the last thing we should do.” Hunter took my hand and walked into the bathroom and closed the door.
“I’m sorry.”
“This is bigger than an apology Hunter.”
“I know. But you had been through so much, I didn’t want to add anything else to your plate.”
“Why didn’t you tell me when you were pregnant?”
“You wouldn’t answer your phone and then your mom kept turning me away. I never had the chance.” I took a deep breath and closed my eyes and leaned against the door. “Don’t be mad.”
“I’m not mad. I just don’t know what to think. I had a son for 33 years and didn’t know. What am I supposed to do? He’s a grown man. I can’t just come in now and be his father.”
“Just talk to him. See what’s on his mind.” I nodded and left the bathroom. I looked around the living room.
“He left,” Sonya said grabbing her bag. “Come on.” I followed Sonya out and hopped into her car. She drove and I watched banks, a hospital and several restaurants fly by. We stopped in front of a colorful florist shop and vibrant colored bakery. Inside the bakery were splatter painted walls and small tables of greens and blues and purples. “Jim?” Sonya called. “Jim, are you okay?”
“No,” Jim’s voice said from the back. “I looked at that man in the face for years Sonya. How did I not see it? Why didn’t I put it together after all this time?”
“Uh Jim? He’s here.” Jim’s footsteps were loud as he came into the main room of the bakery.
“Hey,” he said avoiding looking at me.
“Hi,” I said. “I think we should talk.” Jim nodded. I looked over at Sonya.
“Oh! I should go! Got it. Okay. Bye.” Sonya left and Jim and I couldn’t help but snicker. Jim sat down at one of his tables and I sat across from him.
“S***, I don’t know what to say,” I admitted. “I’m sorry.”
“It’s not your fault. You didn’t know I existed.” Jim still wasn’t looking at me.
“I’m sorry that I was so messed up that you were kept from me.”
“Me too. But there’s nothing we can do about it now.”
“You good?”
“Yeah, it’s just a lot to take in.”
“I’m not expecting you to call me ‘Dad’ or anything.”
“Good. Kiri will be excited to have a grandpa though.” I laughed.
“Jim?”
“Hm?”
“Will you be my best man? I’ve got no friends and well, I don’t think anyone else will do.” Jim smiled and nodded.
“I’d be honored… Dad.” Jim frowned. “Nope. That’s too weird.” I laughed and we both stood. Jim shook my hand and I pulled him in for a hug.

I was more than ready for this wedding to be over. Reverend Morgan would not stop talking. “I’m so glad you’re joining the church again Sonya.”
“I’m not. I’m only here for a wedding,” I said.
“Oh. Well, I guess I just assumed. Your mother would be happy to see you here.”
“My mother stopped talking to me years ago. She wouldn’t be happy to see me anywhere.” Reverend Morgan was obviously uncomfortable and looking for an exit. “I have to go find Kiri.” I walked outside where Kiri was waiting with her flower basket. “Why aren’t you inside?” I asked. Kiri was officially 7 today but she usually didn’t celebrate any further than cake and ice cream.
“I want to see Granny when she gets here!” she said bouncing on her feet and wearing a pained expression.
“What’s wrong?”
“My head hurts.”
“I have Aspirin.” I reached in my purse and pulled out the bottle. I shook out one pill and handed it to Kiri. I pulled out a water bottle, opened it and handed it to her. “You know how to take a pill?” Kiri nodded and swallowed the pill.
“Sonya, what don’t you have in your purse?”
“I just have what I need in here.”
“When will you ever need 20 pens?”
“Don’t question me, I’m an adult.” Kiri laughed. Hunter’s car pulled up and I lead her to the room where she was to get ready. Serena was a whirlwind. She did Hunter’s hair and makeup as well as take a hundred pictures.
“Auntie, you have to stay still,” Serena coached.
“I just don’t want you to stab me in the eye with that thing,” Hunter said leaning away.
“I’ve done eyeliner for my friends thousands of times and no one has been stabbed in the eye.”
“Yet! I don’t want to be the first.”
“Just stay still.”
“If that thing stabs my eye, I’m going to poke out your eyes. Both of them. No mercy.”
“I got it. Now stop leaning back.”


“Mama, I’m sure that is enough pictures,” Lexa said rolling her eyes. Mrs. Banks hadn’t stop clicking her camera since Lexa came downstairs. Her hair was curled and she wore her locket proudly around her neck. Her dress was teal and just grazed the floor. It was strapless and hugged her chest more than Lexa was used to. She lifted one side of her skirt to keep it from getting dirty as she walked.
“I will never have enough pictures,” Mrs. Banks said. “I just wish you wore some heels or even a splash more jewelry.”
“Mama!” Lexa rolled her eyes and her mother snapped another photo. “You’re going to run out of camera space before Pre gets here.”
“You’re right! I’ll stop for now.”
“You’re too beautiful for words,” Mr. Banks said when he entered the room.
“Thank you, Daddy.”
“You look like a pampered princess,” Brent added biting into her apple. “It’s disgusting how pretty you are.”
“Thank you?” There was a knock on the door and Lexa went to answer it. Prez saw Lexa and felt like someone had punched all the air out of his chest. He stared with his mouth open trying to speak but words failed him. Lexa gently closed his mouth and giggled. Mrs. Banks took another picture.
“She’s beautiful, isn’t she?” Mrs. Banks said. Prez nodded and Lexa pulled him inside. He wasn’t wearing his white suit but instead a black one complimented with a teal tie. Prez shook his head trying to gather his thoughts and presented a corsage featuring an arrangement of flowers in different shades of blue.
“I uh, have no idea what kind of flowers these are. But I tried to pick one I thought you would like,” Prez said sliding the corsage on Lexa’s wrist.
“Watch where your hands go tonight, Prez dispenser,” Mr. Banks warned.
“Yes, sir.” Lexa rolled her eyes.
“You did a good job,” Lexa said. A flash of light caused the teens to blink.
“Wow. Mrs. Banks. Did you get a new camera?” Prez asked.
“You noticed? Yeah, I upgraded for a better lens,” Mrs. Banks boasted.
“And a stronger flash,” Prez muttered. “Are you ready to go?”
“Yes. Please,” Lexa said.
“Oh wait! Just pose for a few pictures.” Prez shrugged and pulled Lexa close and smiled. He did a few silly poses that Lexa couldn’t help but be amused by. When Mrs. Banks finally released them. The couple walked outside where a white limo was waiting for them. Lexa’s eyes were wide.
“When did-” Lexa started.
“I had the driver drop me off around the corner so you would be surprised,” Prez explained. “Your ride awaits, m’lady.” The back window of the limo rolled down and Danny stuck his head out grinning ear to ear.
“Are you two lovebirds going to stand there or are you going to prom?” he shouted. Lexa laughed and ran towards her chariot.


The wedding was torturously slow. I was bored at my own wedding so I knew this time wouldn’t be any different. It was lovely though. Jim was a turtle while walking his mom down the aisle in her beautiful white dress. It was a modest dress and covered everything she wanted it to. The skirt was sparkly and shined in the lights of the church. That was the only part I didn’t like. I had never been a fan of sparkles.
Reverend Morgan crawled through his speech on true love and how marriage was a true way to show your love. Reverend Morgan didn’t marry me and Jim. Although he tried to hide it, he had this way of making a face of disapproval at anything he didn’t like or agree with. He definitely didn’t agree with my divorce and I doubt, he’d like seeing me at the alter twice.
The good part is the ‘I do’s. It was the most beautiful part. The part where a couple tells the world that they love each other through thick and thin and the only thing that could bring them apart was death itself. So technically, my first husband didn’t break any vows. Death separated us. It just wasn’t a death either of us were expecting.
The reason the ‘I do’s was so amazing was because it revealed the love between the two people saying it. It showed in their eyes and today wasn’t any different. Eli’s eyes were alive and bright behind his huge glasses, taking in every inch of Hunter as if at any moment she could disappear. Hunter’s eyes were the same as they had been as they were whenever they saw Eli. Except this time they weren’t full of love and sad longing. Longing had been replaced by joy and that sight put a smile on my face.
You could tell Eli and Hunter truly and completely loved each other. They were a living breathing example of what every couple wanted to be: happy. Their past was behind them and they were only looking forward. That’s why when they promised to love each other until the end and shared their kiss, I couldn’t help but let a few tears drop down my face.


Prom was being held in the school’s cafeteria. A red carpet lead the seniors from the school’s entrance to the inside of the cafeteria where you entered the Prom’s theme: Magic Show.
The tables each had a glowing top hat and playing cards strewn on top of them. The DJ wore a top hat and cape himself and laser lights lighted the dance floor. There was a photo booth that looked like a magician’s box when he makes his assistant appear.
“Simplistic,” Lexa said to Prez who shrugged.
“We had a budget and still had to buy food.” Lexa found an empty table and the group went to sit. Danny had asked Camille to Prom and the two were already making out hard core.
“I am so uncomfortable,” Lexa whispered to Prez.
“Want to dance?” Prez offered. Lexa looked at the dance floor and the closeness of each person.
“They look like they’re doing more than dancing.” Prez laughed.
“Hey Danny, why don’t you and Camille go dance and Lexa and I will join you in a minute.” Danny looked at Camille who smiled and jumped off Danny’s and raced him to the dance floor. “Better?”
“Much,” Lexa said. “It’s good that they get along.”
“Get along? That’s far from just getting along.”
“Sorry for anchoring you to the table. I’m just not okay with people grinding on me.”
“No problem. Truth is I’m a terrible dancer. So you’re really saving your eyes from melting.” Lexa laughed. A slow song came on and most of the fast pace dancers sat down for a break while most of the couples awkwardly swayed. Lexa stood.
“Come on.”
“I wasn’t joking when I said I was a terrible dancer,” Prez said.
“So what?”
“I can’t dance, Lexa.”
“But I can. Trust me, you’ll do fine.” Prez reluctantly stood and Lexa dragged him to the dance floor. She placed his hands on her hips and wrapped her arms around his neck. She stepped in close. “Follow my feet.” Prez watched as Lexa’s feet gracefully moved around in a circle. Prez followed her movements and memorized them. “Now you lead.” Lexa was patient with Prez’s clumsy stumbling but the couple looked better than most on the dance floor. Prez looked up at Lexa who was smiling.
“Are you laughing at me?” Prez asked.
“No. I’m just happy.” Prez’s steps improved as he went and he gave Lexa a spin. “Fancy,” she joked.
“You can give the credit to every high school movie ever.” Lexa laughed. The two continued to dance and Lexa’s feet no longer seemed to touch the ground. She was floating on the music and Prez was right there with her. Everything around them disappeared and Prez glanced down at his feet every so often. Lexa waited for him to lift his head and kissed him. Their feet stopped moving and they began to fall like leaves from a tree. Lexa’s feet touched the ground just as the music stopped and a more fast paced song took its place. The dancers and grinders fled back to the dance floor and Prez and Lexa had to squeeze their way out.
Danny and Camille were sitting at the table and Lexa and Prez joined them. “What are you two doing here?” Lexa asked jokingly. “Shouldn’t you be invading each other’s personal space?”
“Actually, Danny and I are probably going to head home,” Camille said.
“For some good ol’ Prom night sex?” Lexa asked with a laugh. She stopped and looked at Camille’s guilty face. “Oh my God, you are!” Danny shrugged and Lexa was wide- eyed. “You know just because tonight is Prom night doesn’t mean tonight has to be your first time.”
“This isn’t our first time,” Camille mumbled.
“Oh my god, what?”
“Don’t act like you and Prez haven’t done it yet.”
“We haven’t!” Camille’s face was shocked.
“But you two have been dating since like the beginning of the school year. I guess I just assumed you had...”
“Nope. We haven’t.”
“Have you considered-?”
“No!” Lexa’s face was hot. The teens sat in silence.
“We have a cab waiting for us so… we should go,” Danny said. He stood and draped his suit jacket over Camille’s shoulders and the couple left. Lexa’s face was still hot and she was looking anywhere but at Prez.
“Hey you,” Prez said. “You want to get out of here?” Lexa nodded and stood and began fast walking out of the cafeteria. Prez followed after her.
They took the limo back to Prez’s house. Lexa collapsed on the couch. “Where’s your mom?” she asked.
“She’s on the night shift,” Prez answered freeing himself of his tie. Lexa shot up.
“You mean we’re here alone?”
“Yes.”
“Prez, I’m not ready for… you know.” Prez put his hands up like a caught criminal.
“I thought we could just sit here and watch a movie.”
“You weren’t going to try and…?”
“No.” Prez said joining Lexa on the couch. “I was going to let my girlfriend borrow some clothes so that she wouldn’t have to sit here in her prom dress and put on a movie and relax. Is that alright with you?” Lexa stared at her lap feeling dumb.
“Yeah, that’s alright.” Prez lifted her chin and kissed her.
“Be right back.” Prez left the living room and came back with a tee shirt and a pair of pajama pants. “You can change in the bathroom.” Lexa stood.
“Can you get my zipper?” Prez handed Lexa the clothes and walked behind her to unzip her dress. The zipper slid down slow and the two teens froze. Prez swallowed hard.
“You should go change,” he whispered and Lexa sped into the bathroom. Prez took a breath and went to put in a scary movie, Lexa’s favorite kind. Lexa came out and draped her dress on a kitchen chair and popped some popcorn. The two teens sat on the couch. Lexa curled up closely to Prez and they watched the movie.
Lexa woke up on Prez’s couch laying her head on his chest and the sun shining on her face. “Oh s***, my dad is going to kill me,” she muttered.


“So why can’t I go to Granny’s again?” Kiri asked. We were eating strawberry cake and vanilla ice cream for dinner as Kiri’s birthday request.
“Because they’re on their honeymoon and need the apartment to themselves for a little while,” I answered.
“What are they going to do?”
“They are going to play Scrabble.”
“I like Scrabble,” Kiri muttered.
“No you don’t,” Jim said. “
“You’re being weird.”
“You’re being weird.” Kiri stuck her tongue out and Jim responded by sticking his back.
“You’re both weird,” I said finishing off my cake. “Kiri, finish up. You still have school tomorrow.”
“I don’t want to!” Kiri protested. “Bryan is reading Shakespeare and all he does is talk in Shakespearian.”
“Maybe it’s because he likes you.”
“Sonya, that joke is cruel and disgusting.” Kiri stuffed the rest of her ice cream in her mouth, puffing out her cheeks. “Goodnight.”
As the week continued, Kiri grew more and more sickly. She was coughing like a smoker and her nose was as bright as Rudolph’s. “I don’t feel so good,” she said. Her head was on fire.
“Jim, can’t you stay home with her?” I asked. I was sitting on the couch with Kiri, coaxing her to swallow cough medicine. “I’m testing and I do not trust those kids with a sub during a test.”
“I have to open the bakery, I have people coming in to pick up orders. We have to call Ma.”
“But it’s her honeymoon.”
“We don’t have any other options here.” Kiri was laying her head on my leg and I stroked her hair. Jim called Hunter. “She said she’d love to have Kiri over. I’ll drop her off on my way to the bakery. Kiri, go get Mr. Teddy.” Kiri dragged her feet to her room and came back out clinging onto her favorite teddy bear.
Jim picked up Kiri and carried her to his car. I felt better knowing Hunter would be watching after Kiri. Hunter always took Kiri in when she was sick and she always made her feel better within a day or two. “Feel better, Kiri,” I called before they drove off.


“Hi, Mom. Yes, I’m okay. I am on my way home now. Really? How mad is he? Really? But nothing happened! Yes. Yes, I know how it looks but-. Okay, see you in a minute.” Lexa hung up and slammed her head into the car seat.
“Am I going to live after this?” Prez asked.
“Maybe they’ll bury us next to each other.” They pulled up to Lexa’s house where Mr. Banks was outside waiting.
“You are really ballsy, Prez!” he said running up to the car. Lexa Ran in front of him.
“Daddy! Daddy, stop, listen!” Prez got out of his car, ready for his fate.
“I told you to keep your hands off my daughter!”
“Daddy, nothing happened.”
“Lexa, move out of my way.”
“Mr. Banks, we didn’t do anything. We watched a movie and fell asleep,” Prez said.
“It’s true. That’s all that happened.” Mr. Banks looked at the fear in his daughter’s eyes. It didn’t help that Lexa was still wearing Prez’s pajamas. Mr. Banks relaxed a bit and glared at Prez. Prez’s heartbeat was banging against his chest and he winced when Mr. Banks pointed a finger at him.
“Thin ice, kid,” Mr. Banks said. Prez nodded. “Is your mom home?” Prez shook his head. “Then, I’ll call her later.”
“You’re going to call my mom?” Prez ran his hand through his hair. Prez’s mom was a strong believer in the use of physical training as punishment and this was at least 3 miles worth of running. It’s been a long time since Prez ran and that was only going to make running that much worse.
“Yes. I’m calling your mom. You’re not out the clear. As for you,” Mr. Banks turned on Lexa. “Get in the house. We’ll discuss your punishment after your mother’s rant on the dangers of sex.”
“Can we please just skip to the punishment part?” Lexa begged.
“No. Inside. Now.” Prez watched Lexa slink inside before driving off.


Hunter insisted on keeping Kiri until she was better but that didn’t stop me from going over there to read to her every night. She didn’t comment as much as she usually did but made small noises when she liked or disliked something. I had finished our most recent book and was beginning to leave when Kiri called me back.
“Sonya, can I have some tea?” Her voice was weak and hoarse.
“Of course, I’ll make you some,” I said.
“No. I want orange tea from the café. Granny’s tea is nasty.” I laughed.
“I’ll bring you some tomorrow.”
“Why can’t you bring it now?” I looked at Kiri’s face and couldn’t bear to let that girl go a single night without her simple request.
“I’ll be right back.” I left the room and grabbed my bag. “Hey, Eli. I’ll be back. I just have to make a quick run.”
“Where are you going?” Eli asked.
“To a café. You want something?”
“No, thanks.” I left and drove right to my hideout. I walked up to the counter.
“Hi Paul,” I said.
“Sonya! We were just about to close up. What can I do for you?”
“I need a cup of orange tea, to go, and if there’s any way I can buy a couple teabags off of you, that would be good too.”
“You sound frantic. Everything alright?” Paul asked as he filled a cup with hot water.
“Yeah. Kiri’s just a little sick and really wanted some orange tea.” Paul sat a plastic, reusable cup on the counter along with a box of orange teabags.
“Give this to her as a ‘get well’ gift.” I paid for the tea and grabbed the cup and box.
“You’re amazing Paul. Thank you.” I sped back to Hunter’s apartment hoping to catch Kiri before she dozed off. I walked inside the apartment and walked into Kiri’s room.
“Sonya!” she called.
“Kiri! I got you a cup of orange tea.”
“Thank you.” Kiri sat up and sipped the tea.
“And Paul gave you a whole box of orange tea and a fancy reusable thermal cup as a gift.”
“Paul’s amazing.”
“I know right.”
“He has a crush on you, you know.”
“He does not!” Kiri’s laugh turned into an awful coughing fit. “Hey there. Drink your tea. Relax.” Kiri took another sip of her tea.
“But he does like you.”
“Oh please. He knows I’m married.”
“Doesn’t mean he doesn’t think about you.”
“How about you concern yourself with getting better and not about who likes me.”
“Ignoring it isn’t going to fix it.”
“Nothing needs to be fixed. Now drink your tea. I ran over an old lady to get that tea for you.”
“You did not!”
“I did! She was crossing the street and I wasn’t going to wait for her so…BAM! Old lady pancake right on the street.”
“What are you going to do when the cops come for you?”
“Blame you.”
“What? I didn’t do anything!”
“I know that. But the police doesn’t. I’m going to frame you and you’re going to go to jail.”
“I’m too cute for jail!”
“You’re right. We’ll have to rough up your face a bit so that the cops will believe my story.”
“Your plan is foolproof. I’m going to jail.”
“Don’t worry, we’ll visit you, jailbird.”
“I’ll become the toughest inmate there. So everyone knows not to mess with me.”
“And you’ll get in a bunch of fights.”
“And I’ll get a tattoo!”
“Nice. Of what?”
“Whatever it is prisoners get tattoos of. And a butterfly.”
“What are you two talking about?” Eli stood in the doorway.
“I’m going to jail Eli. I’ll write you guys from the inside.” Kiri coughed every now and then between sentences and her voice sounded terrible but she looked so happy when she talked that I didn’t dare stop her. “Sonya’s framing me and then she’s going to rough up my face so I’ll look like a criminal.”
“You should write a book while you’re in there,” Eli said.
“Good idea!” Kiri coughed. “I’ll write a book and it’ll be amazing! And everyone is going to be in it!”
“Really?” I asked.
“Yes! It will talk about me, of course, and you and Daddy and Granny and Grandpa Eli.”
“Grandpa Eli? When did you start calling him that?”
“It’s a new thing I’m trying out. I like it. Makes him a part of the family!”
“Grandpa Eli. It kind of flows off the tongue.” Eli chuckled and left the room. I stood up from my spot on the end of Kiri’s bed. “I should go home and sleep. Unlike some people, I have school tomorrow.”
“Are you going to come read to me tomorrow?”
“If you want me to.”
“I want you to.” I smiled and kissed Kiri’s forehead. “Goodnight Kiri.”
“Goodnight Sonya.” I left the room and closed the door.
“Is she asleep?” Eli asked.
“I think she’s going to finish up her tea first. Where’s Hunter?” I said.
“She’s feeling a bit under the weather. So I get to play doctor.”
“I hope she gets better. Will you make sure Kiri takes her cough medicine? And that she rests as well as reads and that she eats something even if her stomach hurts.”
“Sonya, I got it. Go home and sleep.”
“Okay. Goodnight.”
“Goodnight.” I started to leave.
“Just make sure she takes warm baths so the steam can help clear her nose a bit.”
“Sonya…”

I never liked being around sick people. It’s nasty. All the tissues and coughing. But I didn’t have a choice because now I was taking care of 2 sick girls. Which meant I had mastered making chicken noodle soup from a can. I told Hunter it was homemade because she hates eating food from out of a can. When she can yell at me over it, I’ll know she’s better.
Another week or two passed and neither Kiri nor Hunter seemed to be getting better. In fact they seemed to be doing worse. Jim had set up an appointment for Kiri but Hunter on the other hand…
“I have a cold. I don’t need to go and see a doctor for them to tell me that. Leave me alone and pass me those cough drops.” I passed Hunter a pack of cough drops from off her dresser.
“I just don’t want to push it off as something small and it’s something we should’ve been worrying about.”
“It’s not. Now stop worrying about me and worry about Kiri. She’s the one that needs it.”
“She’s going to the doctor so that she knows how to get better.”
“I know how to get better,” Hunter argued with a cough drop in her mouth. “It just has to get worse before it can get better.”
“You’re too stubborn.”
“I learned from the best.” Hunter winked at me and I left the room. I was sleeping in the guest room because 3 sick people in one apartment would be no good. Kiri had been asleep since she ate breakfast and Oreo stayed by her side at all times. Kiri only woke up when Sonya came to read to her. I liked to listen in on their stories from time to time and tonight they had kept the door open so I sat on the couch and listened. Sonya began to read and Kiri made her weird sounds of approval. Once Sonya finished a chapter, Kiri spoke.
“Sonya? My tummy hurts.”
“More than usual?”
“Mhm.”
“Is it something you ate?”
“No. It burns and itches.”
“Sit up.”
“Oh my god,” Sonya said. “Eli, we need to get Kiri to a hospital.”
“What’s wrong?” Hunter asked. She had gotten out of bed and was leaning against the couch.
“Kiri has a giant rash all over her stomach. It’s red and it doesn’t look good. Eli, I need you to carry her to my car.”
“I’m coming too.”
“Hunter, please, stay here; you’re sick,” I begged.
“If you think I’m going to sit here with my grandbaby in the hospital your crazy.” I sighed and went and picked up Kiri gently. Her face scrunched up at my touch. We all got in Sonya’s car. Hunter and Sonya sat upfront while I held Kiri on my lap in the back.
We rushed inside the hospital. The clerk told us to sit and wait. I had never seen Sonya so worked up. “Look here, I have a 7 year old in pain and inflamed all over. Get me a doctor now.” Nurses came out and I gently passed Kiri over to one of them. Hunter had called Jim. Jim visited Kiri in the mornings and hadn’t noticed the rash. A fact he beat himself over the entire time we sat in the waiting room.
A doctor came out and asked for Kiri’s family. We all stood. “Are you all here for Kiri?”
“Yes,” Jim answered. “Is she okay?”
“We put her to sleep and gave her something for the pain but she is alright.” We all let out a breath. “Has Kiri had any new medications lately?”
“No. She’s been taking cough medicine for her cold but that’s all,” I said.
“Why? What does that have to do with anything?” Jim asked.
“We suspect she has Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.”
“That doesn’t sound good,” Hunter said.
“It is a severe allergic reaction to a medication. Common causes are antibiotics, Ibuprofen, Aspirin.”
“Aspirin?” Sonya said. “I gave her an Aspirin a little more than week ago.”
“That would do it. We can go ahead and treat her for the reaction and since you caught it early, she should be fine.”
“What would be the treatment?” Jim asked.
“She will be isolated to prevent infection, we’ll wrap up her rash in gauze and give her a few antibiotics.”
“Will the antibiotics make her worse?”
“We can check to see if she is allergic before treating her rash.”
“Please do whatever you have to. Thank you,” Jim said. Sonya took a seat.
“It’s my fault she’s here,” she said.
“No it’s not. You didn’t know she was allergic. Don’t blame yourself for this.”
“Jim, she wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t given her the damn Aspirin.”
“Stop thinking like that. Kiri’s fine and they’re going to fix her up and she’ll be right back home.”
“You’re right. I just wish they didn’t have to isolate her. I still want to be able to read to her.”
“I’m sure when she’s out, she’ll have you catch her up,” Hunter said with a laugh that turned into a cough. She kept coughing and I held her up as she passed out in my arms.


“Aren’t you going to miss me a little? I’m going to be hundreds of miles away from home,” Lexa said to Brent. Brent was acting tough on Lexa’s last day home. She and Prez had both got accepted at the same college, best part was it was Lexa’s first pick.
“I can’t wait ‘til you leave. I’m going to turn your room into a game room. I’ll get a pool table, a giant TV and a recliner for gaming in. A recliner with cup holders.”
“How are you even going to pay for all of that?” Brent shrugged.
“I’ll get a job.” There was a flash and the girls turned to their teary eyed mother.
“I’m not ready for you to leave,” Mrs. Banks admitted. “I don’t have enough pictures.”
“Mama, you have more than enough pictures. Besides, I’m going to college, not moving to Canada. I’ll be back,” Lexa promised. She was trapped in a bear hug more intense than the one her dad had put her in the night before. “Where’s Daddy?”
“He’s hiding so he doesn’t have to watch you abandon the nest.”
“Drag him out here.” Mrs. Banks left and came back with a pouting Mr. Banks. Lexa hugged him tightly. “I’ll miss you too,” she whispered. Mrs. Banks took another picture. There was a honk outside the house. Lexa looked out the peephole in the door. “That’s Prez.” She grabbed her bags and went outside. ,” Prez got out of the car and placed Lexa’s bags in the backseat Mr. Banks walked up to him.
“You take care of my little girl,” he said.
“I wouldn’t dream of doing anything else, sir” Prez turned to Lexa. “We should get going if we are going to beat Danny and Camille there,” he said. Lexa hugged her parents one last time and received a scowl from Brent one last time before getting in Prez’s car and taking off.
They didn’t go far before Lexa saw Brent running after the car in the rearview mirror. “Stop the car!” Prez hit the brake and Lexa hopped out of the car and Brent ran into her arms crying.
“I’m going to miss you!” Lexa smiled.
“I’m going to miss you too, dork.” They hugged and Brent pulled away, wiping her eyes. “Do you think Mama got a picture of you running after the car?” Brent smiled.
“I heard the camera click as I took off.”


Hunter was sick and dehydrated and the doctors assumed old age was getting the best of her. She face was pale and each breath lead to a cough. Her lungs had been weakened from when she was a smoker years ago. She had quit when Jim asked her to. I catered to every need, even the ones she made up (like needing a pack of M&M’s to feel better). It didn’t look good for Hunter.
I felt cheated. I had just got Hunter back. I didn’t want her to leave me so soon. It wasn’t fair. But all my cards had been dealt. I was off the streets, I had my eyesight back, and I married the woman of my dreams. Jim even gave me a job at his bakery as the janitor. Everything was finally falling in line and now I had the chance of losing Hunter. She told me not to worry, that she wasn’t going anywhere. But looking at her ghostly face, it was hard to believe.
But her own state didn’t concern her. All she ever asked about was Kiri. Whenever Jim or Sonya came to check on her, she asked for updates and promised to get better before Kiri came home.
One night, Sonya came over and stole Oreo. When she returned I was waiting.
“You can’t tell anyone,” she said. I zipped my lips with an imaginary key. “This nurse lets me go and read to Kiri at night. She said Kiri refused to sleep without me continuing her book. So at night she slips me into Kiri’s room and I read to her. But the other day, she said she really missed Oreo. I only snuck her away for one reading session. I’m sorry.”
“You could’ve told me,” I said.
“I didn’t tell anyone because then I’d have the whole family trying to sneak in to see her.”
“I understand. How does she look?”
“She looks good. Her eyes are a little red around the edges and her throat is really bad but the doctor says that it’s lucky considering the other symptoms she could have.”
“That’s good. When will she be home?”
“It should only be a few weeks now.”
“Hunter will be glad to hear that.”
“How is she?”
“She looks like s*** and I’m pretty sure she feels like it too. But all she does is tell me not to worry.”
“She’s a fighter.”
“I know. But looking at her, I don’t want to lose her Sonya, not yet. I’m not ready to let her go. I don’t think I ever will be.” Sonya patted my back.
“Hunter’s not going to let this be her way to go. If she goes, she’s going to go out with a bang!” I laughed.
“How’s Jim taking this?”
“He’s running the bakery until midnight. He’s pretty torn up. I think with Kiri and his mom being sick, it’s just taking a toll on him.”
“He can’t live in his bakery.”
“You try telling him that. He just grunts. Although, as Kiri is getting better, he makes eye contact a lot more. And sometimes I can coax a word or two out of him.”
“He’s stubborn like his mother.”
“I think he blames me. It’s fine if he does, but I want him to admit it.”
“He loves you Sonya. He doesn’t blame you. He just doesn’t know how to deal with everything that’s going on.”
“I guess you’re right.” Sonya grabbed her purse. “I should go home. See you later, Eli.”
“See you, Sonya.”
A week passed and Hunter was gaining color in her face. She could walk around and saw all the chicken soup cans in the trash. It was refreshing to hear her scolding me. Her laugh was back and healthy. Kiri was supposed to be coming home in a few weeks and Hunter had already planned a welcome back party.
Someone came banging on the door. I answered and saw a breathless, almost lifeless Jim. “Hey Jimmy!” Hunter greeted.
“Kiri has an infection,” he said.


Computer Engineering had proved harder than Prez had anticipated. He had crashed while cramming for his upcoming test and woke up with a piece of paper stuck to his face. He checked the time. He was late. He rushed and changed into decent clothes and hopped in his car. His vision was hazy. Probably from just waking up, he assumed.
He pulled up in front of Lexa’s dorm and found Lexa waiting for him, sitting on the stairs of her dorm. She staggered over to him and he leaned against his car. “Why are you late?” she asked.
“Sorry, I fell asleep,” Prez said.
“Are you still asleep? What’s wrong with you?”
“Nothing baby. Let’s go.”
“Have you been drinking?”
“No, of course not.”
“Don’t lie to me. I can smell it on you.”
“I may have had a couple drinks before coming over.”
“Are you f***ing serious?” Lexa had developed a potty mouth after entering college and she was showing everything she learned as she shot every cuss word she knew at Prez. “You promised you wouldn’t do this.”
“I know, I’m sorry Lexa. I just couldn’t help myself.”
“I haven’t gone by Lexa in 3 years, Elijah,” Hunter said. Eli shook his head trying think straight. “You said as long as you loved me, you wouldn’t do this.” Eli smiled.
“Sweetheart, I love you when your mouth is shut and when you’re in my bed.”
“Take that back,” Hunter said with tears in her eyes. “Eli, I’m only giving you one chance to take that back.”
“Maybe, I don’t want to. That’s as much you’re good for.” Hunter slapped Eli.
“I hate you,” she mumbled. “Stay away from me.” Hunter began going up the stairs back inside her dorm, tears streaming down her face.
“Good riddance! I’m not going to miss you! There are tons of girls who want a piece of me!” Hunter turned and snatched her locket off her neck and threw it at Eli.
“Then go to one of them!” Prez staggered back into his car and drove to the nearest bar.
He was known in every bar within a 10 mile radius. This one was his favorite. It was small, quiet, had simplistic wooden designs and the bartender always knew exactly what he wanted. After a while, the bartender started watering down Eli’s drinks. He never noticed. He just chugged down the alcohol without bothering letting it sit on his tongue long enough to taste it.
The bartender was on the phone. “Who you callin’ Aaron? I know who you’re callin’. Don’t call her. I don’t want her here. I don’t want her in my sanctuary.” Another drink later, Hunter was sitting next to Eli. “What do you want?”
“I want to take you home, Eli.”
“Don’t you hate me?”
“Right now, yes.”
“Then go hate me somewhere else. I don’t want you here. I’ll go home when I feel like and I’ll get myself there.”
“Eli, please. I just want to help you.”
“I said I don’t want you here.”
“Please don’t be ready to let me go,” Hunter said but her words were drowned out by another watered down drink. “Sorry, Aaron. Not this time.” Hunter left and Eli caught a guy across the bar staring at him.
“What the hell are you lookin’ at?”
“You shouldn’t have talked to her like that,” the guy said.
“You shouldn’t be in my business.” The guy shook his head and turned back to his friend. Eli downed his drink and walked up to the guy. “Do we have a problem?”
“You might. But I don’t.”
“You think you’re better than me?”
“You tell me. I didn’t just drunkenly diss my girl.”
“F*** you.” Eli spat in the guy’s face. The man grew in size and Eli found himself looking up at him. The guy swung and hit Eli’s jaw. Aaron was already calling the police.
Eli punched the guy in the nose and didn’t stop. Someone began to pull him off of the guy and hold him so the guy could get a punch in. Eli threw his head back and hit his captor in the face. Then kicked the guy in the stomach. He turned to face his captor and was met with a glass bottle to the face. “S***!”
Cops came flooding the bar and put Eli in handcuffs. “That bastard just stabbed my eyes with a damn bottle, don’t arrest me. Arrest him.” Eli was lead out of the bar and rushed to the hospital.


Weeks continued and the infection only got worse. It had spread to her eyes, mouth, throat and lungs. No one spoke more than necessary. We all went to see Kiri but that’s all. None of us went near her in fear that we may worsen her infection. Sonya began recording herself reading so that the nurse could play it before Kiri went to sleep.
Kiri didn’t look good. She looked like she had two layers of skin; the top layer seemed to be dissolving and revealing a red, painful looking layer. Her eyes and mouth were red and yellow. She didn’t smile. Although, I wanted her to. Kiri’s smile had a way of making you feel like everything was going to be okay. That may be selfish but I didn’t care. I needed to feel like everything was going to be okay.
Kiri wasn’t an average little girl. She was smart and silly and still had so much to learn. I stood looking at the window and staring at Kiri all red and blistered. She looked like she was hurting and I wished with all my might that she wasn’t. Her eyes were closed and somewhat swollen. I knocked on the door and watched as she peeled her eyes open. I waved to her and I saw her smile. But it didn’t make me feel like everything was going to be okay.
The morning after Sonya sent herself recording the last chapter of the book, she went to see if Kiri had any feedback. She and Kiri communicated through a recorder Sonya had bought. She came into Hunter’s apartment in silent tears and Hunter understood. Hunter went into her room; her tears weren’t silent.
Kiri Anne Banks finished her book and then took her last breath.

Kiri had told me through our recording that she had written letters and that if she didn’t get better she wanted me to give them out. I told her not to think like that and to get better so we can get back to our movie nights. But I was wrong and she was right, as usual.
Dear Grandpa Eli,
  You’re the only grandpa I have and I don’t have much to compare you to but you’re the best grandpa I could have. I always had fun with you and I don’t want you to be sad if I’m gone. I want you to make sure Granny isn’t sad either. She’s not a very pretty crier. But she’s beautiful when she smiles. Since you can tell the good snacks from the bad, I welcome you to have movie nights with Sonya. But you are not allowed to change the name. Also, Sonya has a secret hideout that she disappears to. It’s this small café on Forest Blvd. If you see a man named Paul, you are in the right one. I’ll miss you Grandpa Eli. You’re a great addition to our family.
With Love,
Agent Kiri
P.S. Maybe now I can get butterfly wings

Dear Granny,
  If you’re crying, stop before you get my letter wet. I want you to have all of my books. Do what you want with them, read them, donate them, but take care of them. I love you and I want nothing but for you to be happy. That’s why I approve of Grandpa Eli. Your smile is always really big when he’s around. I’m happy that I got to be the flower girl at your wedding. I don’t know what lies ahead for me but I know that the adventure is only beginning. ‘It has to get worse before it gets better.’ That’s like your favorite line and now I know why. It’s hopeful and if there’s anything you taught me, it’s to be hopeful and forgiving. I love you Granny and I love your smile. So remember to smile for me.
Forever Yours,
  Kiri Anne
P.S. You always made the best chicken soup. Don’t stop making it.

Dear Daddy,
  I don’t know what to say. Hi! Are you being nice to Sonya? I hope so because I think you two need each other now than ever. I picture you two like a house of cards. If one card falls off, the whole thing comes crashing down. So don’t crash down. Because all it does is make a mess. I’m really going to miss your cakes. They were always the best, don’t tell Auntie Brianne that. I remember when Mommy died, you tried not to cry so that you could be strong for me, but I heard you cry at night and it felt good to know that I wasn’t the only one hurting. So don’t hold back but don’t cry so much you flood the house. Because once again, that creates a mess. Cry and heal. That’s what Granny would tell me when Mommy passed away. Cry, heal and forgive. I love you and I’ll try to become a ghost so I can haunt you.
Happy Crying,
  Ghost Kiri
P.S. Maybe one day you and Sonya will have another baby☺. I always wanted a sibling.

Dear Sonya,
  Stop beating yourself up. I know you’re doing it. You’re amazing! And you have become my best friend. You’re always there for me and I love that. You always spoiled me way more than I deserve but I’m not complaining. I’ve invited Grandpa Eli to movie night (he knows how to pick good snacks). I’m sorry that I lied and told you I’m not going anywhere. I kind of wish I knew where I was going. We never really talked about religion but I read about it. I hope I get reincarnated into a butterfly. But heaven sounds pretty good too. I’ll be happy to be out of this hospital room. It gets pretty boring here and the nurse tried to bring me a children’s book from the hospital library. A CHILDREN’S BOOK! Can you believe the nerve? That’s why I like you, you knew what I liked before I even knew what I liked. You were always sweet and you always looked out for my best interest. Thank you. Don’t forget that you still have a family that loves you. I love you and I’m going to miss you, Mom.
Your Daughter,
  Kiri the Inmate
P.S. Ask Paul if he likes you.

Kiri’s funeral took a lot out of me. I wore sunglasses which probably made me look like an insensitive b**** but no one dared to question me on it. “I’ve never seen a casket so small,” I heard Eli whisper.
“I’ve seen smaller,” I said. Everyone else denied to give the eulogy so Eli ended up doing it.
“I didn’t know Kiri even half as long as you all did. But it doesn’t take long to see she was smart and amazing and made the world a brighter place just by smiling. She spoke her mind and craved to fill her head with more knowledge. Her sweet tooth was huge and all that sugar doesn’t even compare to how sweet she was. She smiled every day no matter what. Her smile and eyes never lost their hope and cheer. We all turned to Kiri because she was an umbrella during a thunderstorm and nothing in this world could ever be that great.” Eli finished and rejoined the crowd.
I left, I couldn’t be there anymore. I loved Kiri and I hated leaving but I couldn’t watch them place her casket in the ground. That made it real. She was really gone.
I went home and changed into my pajamas. I searched for the saddest movie we had and watched it. I was crying before the movie even started.
I’m a murderer. Everyone says it’s not my fault but I know they think different. It was my actions that placed Kiri in a casket. I murdered a little girl. My daughter. This wasn’t the first time I saw a child I loved, lifeless and in a casket. Maybe this was a sign. Maybe I wasn’t meant to be a mother and this was my wake up call. My rude, cold, cruel wake up call.
Jim came home and saw me in my pajamas. “You couldn’t wait a little longer?” he asked.
“I’ve been to a funeral, I know how it ends,” I said.
“That was extremely rude and offensive.”
“Offensive to who?”
“To Kiri.”
“Kiri wouldn’t mind.”
“How would you know? She would probably be hurt.”
“Well, let’s just ask her how she feels. Kiri! Kiri, could you come here for a second?”
“Stop that, Sonya.”
“Stop what?”
“You’re being cold.”
“Is that so? I don’t see it that way.”
“How do you see it?”
“As honest. As real.”
“Sonya.”
“I don’t understand how life is supposed to carry on now. It’s like ripping out chapters to a book.”
“Sonya.”
“I’m sure as hell not going to pretend like this is less than what it is.”
“Sonya.”
“What?”
“It’s not your fault.”
“What are you talking about?”
“No one blames you Sonya.” My eyes watered.
“They should.”
“It wasn’t your fault.”
“I’m the reason she’s in a hole in the ground.”
“No you’re not.” I started to cry and Jim sat on the couch and gathered me in his arms.
“I killed a little girl!”
“You didn’t kill anyone.”
“Kiri is dead because of me. I’m so stupid! I shouldn’t have given her the damn Aspirin. I shouldn’t have went and read books to her. This is all my fault.” Jim stroked my hair. “I should’ve made her stick it out without any books. Then she would be with us now.”
“It’s not your fault, Sonya. You didn’t know.”
“How can you say that?”
“Because I know you loved Kiri and that you wouldn’t do anything to hurt her. You thought you were helping. She knew that. We all know that.”
“I just want her back.”
“We all do.”
“She didn’t deserve this. She deserved to have the world in the palm of her hand.”
“Sonya.”
“Yes?”
“No one blames you.” I burst into tears and I felt Jim’s tears fall and wet my skin.
I played my recorder over and over. It had the last words Kiri had directed to me. The night that she admitted she was scared. I played the recording. “Hi Sonya. I don’t want to talk about the book.” Her voice sounded fragile and rough. Her coughs took a lot of air out of her and she always took a few breaths after each one. “The doctor told me I wasn’t getting better. I knew that though. I can feel it. My entire body is covered in gauze and I’m really itchy all the time. It hurts to breathe sometimes. It’s pretty scary. Remember when that mouse got in the house? It’s scarier than that. The doctor took Mr. Teddy away and that only made it worse. If I don’t get better, I wrote letters for everyone. Please get them from Nurse Jasmin and give them to everyone. I’m going to sleep now. Goodnight Mom.” I replayed the last couple sentences about a thousand times.
I didn’t share these last words. I kept them to myself and listened to them whenever I was alone. The principal thought it would be best if I got a week or two off to heal so I had plenty of time to myself. I usually spent it sitting at home fattening myself on anything sweet I could get my hands on. I ended up having to hide my snacks because Jim started monitoring what I eat and insisting I eat real food. I felt like I was unraveling.


Hunter cried a lot. It was hard to cheer her up. She read her letter over and over. And every time she did, she cried. After a week, I took it and hid it.
“Eli. Have you seen my letter? I placed it on the nightstand before I went to sleep. I’m sure of it. I wouldn’t have just placed it anywhere.” I closed my book and placed it next to me on the couch.
“I hid it,” I answered. Hunter stood over me.
“You what?”
“I hid it. Somewhere around the apartment.” Hunter’s eyes were ablaze and she was gritting her teeth.
“Why would you do that?”
“It’s for your own good.”
“My own good? Eli, give me my letter now!”
“Find it.”
“I’m not going on a scavenger hunt. It’s mine and I want it back.”
“If you want it back, you’ll have to find it.” Oreo jumped on the couch with me. It was the first time I had seen her outside of Kiri’s room since Kiri’s funeral, which she attended.
“That’s all I have left of her, Eli. Please don’t do this to me.” I stood.
“But that’s not all you have left of her,” I said. “That’s your hint. Start looking.” Hunter stared at me before walking into Kiri’s room. I stood at the doorway and watched her. Oreo walked around the room, looking. Hunter looked under the bed and on top of the worn out desk.
“Look what I found,” Hunter said pulling a book made of construction paper off of the bookshelf. She smiled. “It’s Kiri’s joke book. She had just about every bad joke known to man in this book.”
“Read one,” I said.
“What’s white and can’t climb a tree? A refrigerator. Oh! This was her favorite: two muffins are in an oven. One says, ‘Wow, it’s hot in here.’ The other says, ‘Wow, a talking muffin!’” Hunter laughed and placed the book back on its shelf. “I looked all over this room Elijah.”
“I didn’t say it was in this room.” Hunter narrowed her eyes at me and pushed passed me. She walked into the kitchen and pulled out the cookbook Kiri gave her. She opened it and found her letter. She took the letter out of the book but stared at the inside of the book. Inside Kiri had wrote ‘Happy Cooking!’ “She would like it if you used her cookbook. You promised to cook every recipe.”
“I promised to cook them with her.”
“You think now she wouldn’t want you to cook them at all? I think Kiri would hate to see a book of any kind go to waste.” Hunter’s eyes began to tear up and I wrapped my arms around her. She leaned her head on my chest.
“I miss her.” Hunter’s body shook.
“We all miss her,” I said. “But the last thing she would want is you going through 5 boxes of tissue a day.” Hunter nodded and pulled away from me wiping her eyes.
“You’re right. Go wash your hands, we have an angel food cake to make.”
“We?”
“Yes. If I’m cooking, you’re helping because if you feed me processed food from a can again, I’m going to cut off your fingers.” Hunter smiled. It was a small, tired smile but it was a start.


I wanted to try smoking weed. I even found that kid who hangs behind the nearby high school and sells pot to his classmates. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I was a teacher.  I had morals. So, I compromised for alcohol. I kept wine bottles hidden among my snacks. I never bothered with a glass. Wine, Twinkies, and Skittles had become my breakfast and lunch. Jim took over by dinner time. I usually passed out after lunch but woke up with enough time to clean up my mess before Jim came home.
“Sonya. Sonya, wake up.” Jim stood over me holding two wine bottles. “What is this?” he asked. I rubbed my eyes and sat up on the couch. I was covered in wrappers.
“I couldn’t decide if I wanted red or white wine today so I had both. Bad idea, let me tell you. Man, it smells in here.” I looked on the floor next to me and saw a pile of vomit. “I’ll clean that up.”
“You don’t even drink.”
“Correction: I didn’t drink.”
“This isn’t healthy Sonya. You need to stop.”
“You need to get off my back.”
“Where did you even get this stuff?”
“I bought it.” Jim set down the bottles and went into our bedroom. He came back with bags of junk food and wine bottles, full and empty. “You found it! You can pick anything you want from the bag as a prize.”
“I’m getting rid of this.” Jim headed towards the kitchen. I tripped over the couch trying to follow him.
“No! Hey! That’s my stuff!” I walked over to the kitchen and saw Jim pouring the wine out into the sink. “Stop that!” I hit his arm, hard. It felt good so I kept swinging. Jim turned and grabbed my wrists.
“This isn’t the answer, Sonya! This isn’t what she would’ve wanted!”
“Get off of me.” I snatched my arms away. “It doesn’t matter what she would want anymore. She’s dead.”
“And shoving junk down your throat or drinking two bottles of wine a day is going to bring her back.”
“I had two bottles of wine one time. And you are killing my buzz.” I grabbed a half full wine bottle from the counter.
“Sonya, no” Jim grabbed the bottle.
“Give it to me.” I looked around and grabbed Jim’s car keys off the counter.
“You’re not okay to drive Sonya.” Jim was prying the bottle from my fingers. I felt weak and cornered. I just wanted to leave, for a few minutes to get some fresh air. I wasn’t going to drink while I drove. I wasn’t that dumb. Jim almost had the bottle and I panicked. I yanked the bottle back with all the strength I had in me and broke it against the countertop. I held the broken bottle aimed at Jim. Jim rose his hands in surrender.
“I just need some air.”
“Don’t do anything dumb, Sonya.” Jim said reaching to take the bottle. I jumped back.
“Jim, I don’t want to hurt you, but I will if you come any closer to me.” I slowly backed away and ran outside and got in Jim’s car. I drove, I wasn’t sure where I was going but the air felt nice. I parked in front of the café. I opened the car door and threw up my stomach.
I walked inside and ignored the stares. I was in bright pink pajamas with no shoes and walking in a straight line was impossible. I didn’t dare sit in my usual booth. Instead I sat at a high table by the window. “Hi, Sonya,” Paul said. His voice was sad and pitiful and his face was no different.
“I need a coffee,” I said. “I don’t care what kind just make sure it’s black.”
“Sonya, you hate coffee.”
“Just get me the damn coffee Paul!” Paul came back with a cup and I sipped hibiscus tea. My emergency tea.
“You remembered,” I mumbled.
“How could I forget? You gave me very specific instructions: if I ever ask for coffee, it means life is s***ty and I need emergency hibiscus tea.”
“Thank you.”
“It’s on the house, of course.” I stared down at my free tea.
“Paul?” Paul turned back around. “Do you like me?”
“Of course, I do.”
“No. I mean like, do you have a crush on me?” Paul chuckled.
“Kiri asked me the same question. I told her no and I’m going to say the same to you.”
“She wanted me to ask you.”
“She was always so curious. I wish she could’ve met Gabe. He likes to read too.”
“Who’s Gabe?”
“My boyfriend.” I didn’t respond. I saw this little girl sitting with her mother. She was probably around 10 years old. She had her long brown hair in a ponytail and a red hairband. They were laughing. The girl’s laugh was high and kind of squeaky. Her cheeks flushed with joy and her smile was lively. I hated her. I wanted her to be miserable. I sat at my table glaring at that little girl wishing misery and sickness on her.
My gaze was only pulled away from the girl when someone sat down at my table. I faced Eli sitting across from me. “This is a cute little place,” he said looking around.
“What are you doing here?” I asked.
“Jim called all frantic because he didn’t know where you were.”
“You snitched me out?”
“No. I didn’t tell him where you were.”
“How did you find me?”
“Kiri told me where you run off to in her letter. Now, what are you doing here?”
“Wishing there was liquor in this tea.” I turned my gaze back to the little girl.
“It’s that bad, huh?” I snapped my neck towards Eli.
“Did you lose a daughter? Twice? No. Lucky you, you got a son.”
“I also got a daughter.” Eli placed his hand on mine. I burned it with my eyes. “And I’m losing her right now.”
“F*** you, Eli. I’m not dead.”
“That doesn’t mean you aren’t killing yourself.”
“Is this about the drinking? You were an alcoholic mess, you should know how good it feels.”
“It’s a good cop out when things get hard.”
“See, you get it.”
“But it doesn’t fix anything.”
“Right.” I turned back to the little girl.
“You have to go back to school soon. You don’t want your students to see you like this.”
“Who gives a damn about those brats?”
“You do.”
“I did.” The little girl met my eyes and I stared her down. She squirmed in her seat and looked away. I smiled and turned back to Eli.
“Did that satisfy you?”
“A little bit, yeah.”
“You’ve changed Sonya.”
“How kind of you to notice.”
“Let me take you home.”
“Not unless you buy me a bottle of wine of the way back.” Eli sighed.
“If that’s what it takes.” I was slightly sobered up and headed to the car. I got in the passenger seat and passed out while Eli drove.
“Sometimes I wish I had friends my age,” Kiri said.
“Tons of kids your age like you, you just have to be nice to them,” I said. Kiri and I were in her room and had just finished our chapter for the night. We were both laying on her bed, staring at the ceiling.
“I guess, but I can’t talk to any of them.”
“Why not?”
“Sonya, I will not associate myself with anyone who doesn’t know the meaning of ‘associate’.”
“Well you could teach them.”
“I want a friend, not a student.”
“Luckily, you’ll be going to a school full of geniuses your age pretty soon.”
“That’s what I’m nervous about.”
“You? Nervous? What is happening to the world?”
“I’m serious. What if I’m not as smart as the other kids and I’ll end up being treated how I treat kids my age?”
“Kiri, you’re the smartest kid I know.”
“That’s not promising. You’re teaching 4th graders simple multiplication. I’m already on Algebra.”
“Do you know what you just said to me? You’re 6 years old working on Algebra. You’ll fit in perfectly in Achievement.”
“You think so?”
“I know so.”
“Sonya?”
“What’s up?”
“The ceiling.”
“Ha. Ha.”
“But seriously, are we friends?”
“I like to think so.”
“That’s good.”
“I’m not too old?”
“Do you not want to be friends?”
“I didn’t mean it like that. You just said you wanted friends your age.”
“Yeah, but Mr. Eli is my friend and he is like 60.”
“So?”
“So, maybe I’m only meant to have old friends.”
“I am not old!”
“You’re older than me.”
“And that automatically makes me old?”
“Yes.”
“You better not call me old anymore.”
“Or what?”
“You don’t want to know what.”
“You don’t scare me old lady.” I sat up and began tickling Kiri. “Ah! Sonya! Stop!” She said in-between laughs.
“Say I’m not old!” Kiri squirmed trying to exit my reach.
“Never!”
“Then I’ll just have to keep tickling you.”
“Ah! Okay! I give up! You’re not old!”
I woke up in my bed. I looked over to Jim’s side and found a note: I’m at the bakery. I have your car keys and there’s fruit in the fridge and muffins on the counter if you want a healthy snack. Please be safe. Please make good choices.
I ripped the note in half. I looked in the closet and noticed Jim had ravaged it for all my goodies. I walked into the kitchen and looked in the refrigerator. Sure enough there was an assortment of fruit. Jim even got kiwis, my favorite. “How considerate,” I muttered. I grabbed 3 kiwis and cut them into slices and placed them on a plate. I opened the pantry and reached in the back for the chocolate syrup. I poured myself a cup of milk and drizzled the syrup on my kiwis before emptying the bottle into the milk. I lazily mixed it before chugging it down. I took my plate of kiwis into my room.
I walked into Kiri’s room and went into her closet and pulled out a bottle of cheap white wine. I went to my room and got my bottle opener from my dresser. I sat on my bed with my wine and kiwis. I took a swig from the bottle with each slice of kiwi. I stared at my ceiling fan, spinning around and around.
I pulled out my letter from Kiri from under my pillow. I read it about a hundred times. Sometimes I wonder how much it hurt her scarred arms to write it. The letter, like all the rest, was written on printer paper and at the bottom was a poorly drawn butterfly. I found a pen and wrote on the back of the letter.
Dear Kiri,
I hate that you died in pain. I tried to forget you, to drown your memory in junk food and wine but that only made things worse. I realize I will never forget you and this burning in my chest will never leave. You were my second chance at being a parent but it’s obvious that parenthood and I aren’t made to mix. Your dad is doing the best he can but he shouldn’t be burdened with my curse. I know in your letter to him you said one day we might have a baby but I can’t handle another tragedy. I am a murderer. I killed you and I can’t live with myself knowing that. And I won’t. I’m coming to join you, wherever that may be. I love you, Kiri.
Your Mother by Definition,
     Sonya Banks

I went into the dining room and grabbed a chair and an extension cord. I came back into my room and turned off the ceiling fan. I placed the chair under it and tied the extension cord to base of the fan tightly. I jumped down from the chair and swallowed another swig of wine. I climbed back on the chair and tied the extension cord around my neck. I kicked the chair back from under my feet. The cord burned my throat and air left my body quickly. I didn’t want to fight it but my feet swung wildly. I coughed and choked and then everything was black.

There was a weak knock at the door. It was late and I dragged myself out of bed to answer it. I opened the door and saw Jim. His eyes and nose were red and he looked pale. “Sonya hung herself,” he said. “I can’t stay in that house.” I let him inside and he went straight to Kiri’s room, his old room. He came out of the room with a teddy bear in his hand and went into the guest room.
Jim didn’t come out the room for the rest of the night. In the morning, Hunter knocked on the door offering him breakfast. She placed a plate of pancakes in the room and went back in for the plate hours later. He hadn’t touched the pancakes. He laid in bed with a blanket over his head and the curtains closed.
“Jim,” I said. I had entered his hideout but he didn’t move. “Do you want me to call customers and tell them the bakery is closed?”
“My keys are in my pants,” he muttered. “You run the bakery. I’m not doing it.” I grabbed his keys and closed the door.
“Well?” Hunter asked. “Is he going to the bakery? Baking will help him feel better.” I shook my head.
“He gave me his keys. He wants me to work the bakery.”
“But you don’t bake.” I shrugged. “I’ll call Brianne and see if she can help at the bakery for a few hours and then I’ll come down there for closing.”
“Good plan, I’ll head down to the bakery now.” I kissed Hunter’s cheek and left.
I drove to the bakery and thought about Sonya’s voice. The first time I had heard it in the bakery, it was soft and sweet. But the last time we spoke her voice was rotten and spoiled and cold. The smooth lullaby had been thrown away. Her eyes were empty and her heart was hardened.
That day, she was a mess. She was a broken toy that didn’t want to be fixed. I didn’t see that she was hurting worse than the rest of us. I didn’t see that she was smothering her problems. All I saw was a stupid drunk. I saw myself. I hated that she was a reflection of my former self, a piece of me that I wanted to forget forever.
I pulled up to the bakery and parked in Jim’s spot and unlocked the bakery. I took the chairs off the tables and placed them in their positions in the floor. I went and checked Jim’s calendar. He had every order made for the day already made and on his calendar a list of who was coming for what.
The bell to the door rang and I greeted the customer. It was a man in a suit and tie. “Where’s Jim?” he asked.
“He’s a little under the weather today so I’m filling in for him today.”
“You look familiar.”
“I usually clean up the place.”
“No. I know what it is! You’re the homeless man that used to stand outside. I used to pass you every day on my way in here.”
“Yeah, that’s me.”
“Man, you look good. I uh, I thought you were blind.”
“I was. I got surgery to regain my eyesight.”
“That’s good for you. It looks like everything is working out for you.” I agreed. Everything was working out except for the hole in my chest that was growing and trying to heal all at once.
“Are you picking up an order?”
“Yes. For a Daniel Wilkes.” I froze and stared at the man. I walked from behind the counter.
“Danny Wilkes?”
“Yes.” I laughed.
“Danny! Elijah Thomas!” Danny’s eyes widened with recognition. He hugged me.
“Eli! You son of a b****!” He pulled back with a smile too big for his teeth. “If I had known that was you I was passing every day I would’ve done more than slip 5 dollars in that can.”
“Don’t worry about that. Hunter took me in.”
“Hunter Banks?”
“Yeah. Jim is her son.”
“No kidding.”
“And we’re hitched.” I flashed my wedding band.
“Man, that’s great! You two were always great together. I’m strapped down too.”
“Really to who?”
“Camille.”
“Are you serious?”
“We have 3 kids and 5 grandkids.”
“I just found out I have a kid.”
“You mean Jim?” I nodded.
“S*** Eli, we have a lifetime to catch up on.”
“We sure do. Let me get that order for you.” I went in the back and grabbed a giant cake. “Enjoy your cake.”
“I will. I’ll be back so we can set up a time to catch up.”
“I’d like that. See you later Danny.”
“See you ‘Prez’.” Danny left with a laugh. It was when he left that I understood. I understood why Sonya had turned on anyone else who tried to help her. Everyone was doing better than she was. No one was suffering as badly as she was.
I hated that everything had worked out for Danny and that he hadn’t messed up his life like I had. I hated that he was there for all three of kids and still had all of his 5 grandkids. It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair that Sonya lost both of her chances at being a parent before she really became a parent.


I opened my eyes to a needle in my arm and laying in a hospital bed. I looked over at a worried balding fat man. “Father?” The man looked up me and smiled.
“Hi pumpkin,” he said.
“Why am I here? I shouldn’t be here.”
“You should be here. You should know that.”
“I died. It was black. How am I here?”
“Jim was doing check-ups on you throughout the day and found you.”
“He should’ve just left me alone.”
“He’s a good guy, Jim. He cares about you and wants to do the best he can for you.”
“I know.”
“Do you?”
“Why are you even here?”
“Jim called me. He thought it might help.”
“Does Mother know you’re here?”
“She does.”
“Is she damning you to hell?” I scoffed.
“Yes but that’s because I filed for divorce.”
“What?”
“She didn’t want me to come. It was either you or her.” My dad pushed my hair out of my face. “And it was clear my daughter needed me.”
“You didn’t have to do that.”
“It was a long time coming.” Father sighed. “Now, let’s talk about you.”
“There’s not much to talk about.”
“You’re miserable, Sonya. But you’re not the only one hurting.”
“I know I’m not. I just don’t understand how everyone can move on like Kiri never existed.”
“She did. And I’m sure her family thinks about her just as much as you do. That’s why they’re not holding on to tragedy. They’re trying to live their lives for her.”
“Sure.”
“Do you think this is where Kiri would want you?”
“No.” I stared down at my hands.
“She was a beautiful, straightforward girl and in the few moments I saw you two together, I could tell you really cared about her.”
“You would’ve loved her.”
“I regret not being able to meet her. I also regret not being there while you were suffering. But I can see you were in good hands. Jim is really trying.”
“I made it difficult for him.”
“This isn’t like your first marriage. Kiri isn’t Georgia and Jim loves you too much to leave. I can hear it in his voice.”
“I thought if he left, it would be easier.”
“Sonya, you’re not alone.” There was a knock on the hospital door. “Come on in.” Jim peeked his head in. His face was tired and he hadn’t shaved in days. My dad stood. “I’ll leave you two. I’ll call you later, pumpkin.” My dad kissed my forehead and then left. Jim stood in front of me with his hands in his pockets. We stared at each other for a while.
“Why?” he asked. I shrugged. “That was cold Sonya.” I nodded. Jim sat in the chair sitting next to my bed. “I’m hurting too.”
“I know.”
“I need you to stay with me.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Please don’t do this to me again. I can’t lose you too.” Looking at Jim, I saw the pain I caused. I only wanted to end my pain. I didn’t even consider the hurt I was causing the people around me. Jim grabbed my hand and rested his head on it. “I’m sorry I had to call your dad. I didn’t know what else to do.”
“You didn’t do anything wrong.” Jim looked up at me and tears were rolling down his cheeks. I noticed Jim’s body was shaking.
“I love you, Sonya.”
“I love you too.”
“We can move, if that’ll help.” I shook my head.
“I don’t want to move.”
“What can I do? I don’t want you to hurt this badly anymore. I don’t like what this has done to you.”
“There is something you can do.”
“What’s that?”
“Can you come lay here with me?” Jim made himself a spot on the thin bed. I laid my head in his neck and he held me. My heart physically hurt. I had hurt someone I loved and that had only added to the pain in my chest. I was still miserable, I didn’t magically feel better after a visit from my dad. It helped but it wasn’t enough.
I wanted Kiri back but I knew that wasn’t possible. She was gone. That was magic. For life to leave a person and for every word and thought that person had to be gone with them. Kiri had a lifetime of words ahead of her and it wasn’t fair that they were stripped from her.
It was my fault Kiri was dead. No one could tell me otherwise because that was the truth. It’s hard coping with that kind of information. I cried every night because of it and Jim was with me every time. He was patient (and had stripped the house of all my previous coping mechanisms). I agreed to go to therapy and it helps. I taped Kiri’s letter to the mirror in the bathroom. Every day was better than the last and although the pain in my chest was still there, I was able to function again, for Kiri.


“Eli that’s cinnamon not nutmeg,” Hunter said. She was experimenting with a new pancake.
“Well they look the same to me.” Hunter laughed. She got hired in a local kitchen and was always experimenting with news flavors to present to the kitchen. They looked to her for ideas and advice, both cooking and non-cooking related. But trying out new flavors meant she needed a guinea pig to taste them.
“Here, taste this.” Before I could say anything, she sent a spoonful of filling down my throat. It was a mix of lemon and orange. My jaw locked up.
“Too much lemon,” I said.
“Is it too much lemon or too little orange?”
“I didn’t even taste the orange.”
“Mhm.” There was a knock on the door.
“That must be Serena.” I answered the door and Serena entered.
“It smells great in here!” she shrieked. “Auntie you can still babysit today right?”
“Yes. Of course, where is little Kaia?” Serena placed a baby’s car seat on the couch and Oreo was sticking her face under the blanket hiding Kaia’s face.
“Hi Oreo!” Serena picked up the kitten and cooed at her. Hunter took Kaia out of her carrier and cradled her. Her eyes were closed and she frowned at being exposed to the light in the house. She whimpered and then burst into tears. “She must be hungry.”
“Here, Eli, hold her while I warm up a bottle for her,” Hunter said, passing Kaia over to me. I tried to reject holding the baby but she was in my arms faster than I could speak. I held Kaia and she stopped crying. Hunter froze. “What the? Give her back.” I gently passed Kaia back. She immediately started crying. Hunter placed her back in my arms and her crying stopped. Serena laughed.
“It seems like she’s taken a shine to you Eli,” Serena said.
“Her eyes aren’t even open, how can she tell who’s holding her?” Hunter asked.
“Are you jealous?” I teased.
“No. All that means is you’re stuck holding her.” I shrugged and sat on the couch. Oreo escaped Serena’s grip and jumped up on the couch to sniff Kaia. She then licked the baby’s face before curling up for a nap on my lap.
“This is too precious,” Serena said, snapping a picture with her phone. “I hope you don’t mind the picture Eli.”
“I don’t mind,” I said. “Every moment counts.”


I went back to school and checked my teacher’s box. It was full of ‘Get Well Soon’ cards. I gathered them all and waddled to classroom. I opened the door and saw a giant card on my desk. I placed the rest of my cards next to it. I opened it and saw all of the signatures of my students welcoming me back to school. The card was written on in different colors of pen and there was a doodle here and there.
The bell rang and I went to greet my students at the door. As usual, Jordan was the first one in line at the door to come in the classroom. “Good morning, Jordan.” Instead of returning my greeting, Jordan hugged me. I laughed and sent him inside the classroom. Each student followed Jordan’s lead and gave me a hug as they passed me to go into the classroom, even Leslie, my most reserved student, gave me a quick squeeze before going inside the room.
“Thank you all,” I said. “Now before we get started, does anyone want to tell me about the substitute you guys had?” No one raised their hand. “Come on, you guys had her for a while. No one has any comments? Normally all of you would have something to say.” A small hand raised from the back of the class. “Yes Nicholas?”
“She wasn’t as nice as you,” Nicholas said.
“Or as pretty,” a girl’s voice shouted out.
“Or as smart.”
“And she didn’t smell as nice.” I smiled.
“You all are very sweet,” I said.
“We missed you a lot,” Rose said.
“I missed you guys too,” I admitted. “But now I’m back so we have some learning to do.”
The rest of my day was similar. Teachers, previous students of mine and even students I didn’t know hugged or complimented me. One previous student of mine, Taylor, came to my classroom after school.
“Hi Mrs. Banks,” she said.
“Hello, Taylor. This is a surprise.” Taylor was always a trouble maker and rather draw than do school work, but she was smart.
“Is it true what they’re saying about Kiri? Is she…?” I nodded. “I you tried to…leave too?”
“I was in a weak place.”
“How did you get out of that weak place?” Taylor was only in 5th grade but she was wearing the same face I had been wearing for weeks. It was like looking in a mirror and I knew where she was.
“Why don’t you have a seat Taylor?” Taylor pulled a chair up to my desk. “Is everything okay?” Taylor shrugged. “You can tell me.”
“The other girls don’t like me. They pick on me.”
“You’re being bullied? Have you told your teacher?” Taylor shook her head. “If you give me their names, I can tell the principal and get this fixed.” Taylor shook her head. I set my readied pen down.
“Taylor, you know why I didn’t ‘leave’?”
“No.”
“Because I realized that wouldn’t solve my problem, it would only rid me of my pain as well as cause pain to those I love and who love me.”
“No one would miss me.”
“I would miss you. I’m sure your mom and sisters would miss you.”
“How did you know I have sisters?”
“I really did read your journal entries. And I know your family would miss you, right?” Taylor nodded.
“The first step of helping yourself is finding a way to fix the problem. So what about the names of those girls?” Taylor nodded.
I came home and dumped all the papers I received throughout the day on the dining room table. Jim wouldn’t be back for a couple of hours so I decided I would surprise him with dinner. I’m not a great chef unless I’m making cupcakes but I could read a recipe. I went with something simple: spaghetti. I put the noodles in a pot to boil and sat down to read my cards.
Each one was sweet and unique. They wished for me to get well and a few apologized for my loss. It was possible that I had a card from every student and teacher in the school. I noticed some of the cards with neater handwriting came from middle and high schools in the district showing support.
I was so consumed with my cards that I hadn’t even realized that my noodles were burning until the fire alarm went off just as Jim was walking in the door. I rushed the pot off the stove and into the sink where I hosed it in cold water. “What happened in here?” Jim asked. I looked at his worried face and started laughing. A smile started forming on his lips.
“I tried to cook dinner,” I said through giggles. “As you can see it was a success.” Jim started laughing with me.
“Looks delicious.” I turned off the stove and went back to reading my cards. “What are these?”
“Cards from my school as well as others because they care about me.”
“That’s sweet.”
“My favorite one is this one with Kiri drawn as an angel.” The room was quiet. It wasn’t uncomfortable or awkward but respectful, peaceful.
“Should I cook or should I just order Chinese?”
“I think it would be safe to go with Chinese since the kitchen is on strike.”
“All you had to do was put water in the pot.”
“I did! It disappeared!” Jim came from behind me and rested his head on my shoulder.
“When water gets really hot, it evaporates!”
“You don’t say?”
“Yeah. It’s pretty crazy.”
“Just order the Chinese food.” I continued sorting through the cards. I was determined to read them all. It would probably take me weeks but if they took the time to make it, I was going to take the time to read it. Jim went into the bedroom and came out in his pajamas.
“What?” he said as I stared at him. “Clothes are for losers.”
“Pajamas are clothes.”
“Are not.”
“They so are.”
“Then why are they called pajamas and not clothes.”
“Because it is a type of clothing. Like a shirt or pants.”
“Then daytime clothes are for losers.” I smiled and shook my head. “Are you going to read all of those?”
“Yes.”
“What are you going to do with them when you’re finished with them?”
“You’re thinking way too far ahead.”
“Sorry.”
“How was your day?”
“Well, I had one guy order 4 chocolate cakes and then have a fit when he realized he was a dollar short.”
“Did you not give him the cakes?”
“No.”
“Why not? It was a dollar. You aren’t going to go bankrupt over a dollar.”
“I’m joking. He got his cakes. Eli, even helped him carry them to his car. And then I had an idea. What if my bakery delivered?”
“Then people can crave cake and pie and not have to leave home to get it.”
“Exactly! It’s genius! It’s was actually Eli’s idea, but I support it!”
“You’re going to need more employees.”
“I was thinking I could hire some high school kids, you know. If they like to bake or drive then they can do that and get better at it while putting money in their pocket.”
“You’ve got all the answers, huh?
“As always.”
“Quick! What 4 + 11?”
“6.”
“Man, you are on a roll!” Someone rang the doorbell.
“Chinese!”
“When did we get a doorbell?”
“We always had one we just never use it.” There was no room for the food on the dining room table so Jim put it on the coffee table in the living room.
“I want to inhale all of that food,” I said. I went and changed into my pajamas. “Want to watch a movie while we pig out on Chinese?”
“That sounds like a dream,” Jim said, bringing plates and forks in the living room.
“What do you feel like watching?”
“Nothing with blood and gore. Not while I’m eating chicken.”
“What about a chick flick?”
“Do you want to watch a movie or take a nap?”
“Fine. How about uh… Ugh. You’re too picky.”
“Aren’t you supposed to be able to read my mind and know what I want?”
“Oh yeah.” I walked over and put one hand on Jim’s head and the other on my temples. “I’m sensing that you want to watch a Disney movie. How about Alice in Wonderland?”
“Yes! Wow! You are amazing!” I giggled.
“Just shut up and press play.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.