Ramon | Teen Ink

Ramon

By TheShadySideOfCandyland, Chennai, Other
TheShadySideOfCandyland, Chennai, Other

Author's note:

I'm a 15 year old, who always had a niche for writing. Disapproval or approval; I'd never stop. This is my first short story that I wrote over a year ago. But I guarentee, that this will not have rainbows or muffins in it. The 60s were the age of style, courage, nonchalance and of course, undue fascination. That's why, I believed that the era would quite suit the lifestyles of the protagonists.

This story is quite a complicated one. It’s a story inside a story. It shows an introvert, reciting his story to an extrovert. Each and every line is important and it may be quite difficult to understand for some, because it keeps going on and off. The previous line would be about the story that’s being recited and the next one would be about the recite .  So, try and come along with the story. The recited story dates back to 1924 while the remitter’s story, is  the present. Reading it slowly might help, though. I enjoyed writing each word of it because the plot thickens in every other line. I’m always reading it over and over again to make sure each line makes sense. I started this story very randomly. I never knew I had the patience to even finish the story. I had no idea of what was going to happen after each line. My brain would come up with a certain plot and I’d jot that down, here. I wrote 2 to 3 pages per day. After I came to a certain point, I was determined to finish this story because I had finished the whole story in my head and it seemed pretty good to me. So, just read this one very slowly and I’m sure it won’t take a month to finish reading this because it’s really short. Don’t skip a line. It’s not like I dint warn you. Some may not like this story, but it’s just a try. It’s very different from the other novels and short stories. I never knew I’d come up with something as rare as this one. So anyway, I hope it’s good or well, decent.

“Do you really want to go?”
“No, my love.  I...” –
“Let’s get to the weather rep –“
And what came next  were a black screen and a remote on Dare’s hands. He puts it down and walks away from the TV set, throwing the remote on his bean bag. Darren was a 22 year old, who had completed his studies and did not want to work. All he did was sit in front of a TV or pull up his type writer. Nobody knew what he wrote, not even his parents. It was not like his parents were not proud of him; it was just that they wanted some changes in Dare’s life. So they kept pressurizing him on doing some work. So he ended up working in a library and he did like doing it because he was quite an introvert and enjoyed the sound of silence. He carried his type writer to work every day and kept typing till the end of his shift.
---

Darren, was as usual, doing his duties at the monotonous library. There were sounds of whispers and smells of old and tattered books and novels. He knew that his day could not get more boring. But what he din't know, was that destiny in the form a beautiful woman, was going to turn to turn his life upside down.
Subsequently, a woman sheepishly walked behind the man, who meddling with his typewriter. Destiny had recognised her instantly, but Darren might have taken some time.

“Darren.”
“What’s that?”
“Darrenstan Joseph Gamet.”
“That’s quite a unique name Mr. Darren. Anyway, let’s get back to where you left your story. So, there’s a conman named Robert and he was quite a magician, am I right?”
“Yes, but Robert Hathwoods was not a conman, he was an artist. He knew all kinds of tricks, and he used it to take things from other people and give it to his boss, Mr. Belein.”
“So, conman.”
“Ok, keep it that way Miss Elizabeth.”
“Betty. Call me Betty, Dare.”
Elizabeth Peiters and Darren were sitting on an old bench in the library. They knew each other for 13 minutes. She was quite an interesting character. She was a hyper and fun loving person, or in other words; the opposite of Dare. She was blonde, and had amazing eyes. She had been eyeing on Dare for a long time, so she finally went up to him and curiously questioned him on what he wrote every day. Dare did not have an option, but to recite it to her.
“Fine, Betty. So, moving on,”
Robert was amazing at what he did. He knew everything starting from making cinnamon tea to jumping across fences that had lasers all over them. He was also an artist. He painted beautiful portraits of everything that caught his eye. This was probably why he was in to thieving on famous portraits done by famous artists.  His boss Belein was quite a character. He sent Robert to steal precious things from rich people, and sold them at higher prices.

Robert and Belein were standing in the middle of a vast hall. Something caught Rob’s eye.
“What’s this, Belein?” Robert asked, curiously.
“Ahh. It’s the very famous Da’Calenta portrait, Rob. It’s one of a kind. But this, my boy is just the replica of the original one. The original one is with a millionaire, Jeanette Callister.”
“Wow, now this is a real piece of art. Now, where does this Callister live?”
“Ok so, I smell something fishy here. Is it the smell of a robbery that is yet to happen?” Belein said with a wink.
Robert smiled like a shy rabbit, which meant that the smell WAS of a pre-robbery.
---
“Pause. Give me an appearance sketch of Hathwoods, Dare! I mean, how did he look? Just anything.”
“Okay, he was quite tall- 6 feet. He had green eyes, which quite signified his occupation. To be honest, he was a pretty man. Can we get on with the story, Betty?”
“Nice. But this place doesn’t seem like the right spot for a story like Robert’s. Can we please go somewhere else? That coffee shop, maybe? And word to the wise- Stop being rude to me. I’m listening to your story because I feel sorry for you.”
“Oh my god are you kidding? You begged me to tell you the story I was writing about because you were too curious.  And okay let’s go to the coffee shop across the library; my shift is over.”
“Okay thanks, Mr. Obnoxious.”

“This coffee’s so sweet. Too much sugar, I think.”
Betty was sipping her oversweet coffee with Darren on the opposite side, who seemed least interested in how much sugar her coffee had.
“I’m continuing.”—

“Welcome to the annual horse racing championship. I’m Sam Austin, the host of this year, that is 1894’s race.”
“No.23. Book horse no.23 for me, please.”
Jeanette was all set for the race with her lucky horse, No.23. She was beautiful. Brown eyes, long wavy hair which was tied into a stiff bun, and a very muscly figure. All in all, she was beautiful. She wasn’t obnoxious or arrogant; but she wasn’t a humming bird either.
“No.12 for me, please Mr. Austin.” A deep voice came from behind Jeanette.
“Oh well! Hello Mr. Hathwoods. Certainly.” Said Sam Austin.
Jeanette looked at him with a rather surprised face. She knew that everyone knew how unlucky No.12 was. In fact, No.12 was the slowest.
“Yes, I know this horse isn’t up to the mark. But it’s not always right to look down on anyone’s talents-be it a human or a horse.” Said Robert with an innocent smile on his face.
“Well, I dint say anything.” Jeanette replied.
“I have an exceptional talent Miss Callister. I read people’s minds and I know what was going on in your mind.”
“Okay, very well. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a race to watch.”
Robert smiled slightly and moved an inch to pave way for the lady. Jeanette sat in a glass room which read ‘Private’. Robert sat on one of the normal seats and tried to watch the race aghast all the other people. He continuously looked at Jeanette and her tiny binoculars through which she looked at the race. He grinned, because it did look quite funny.

The race started. The horses were inside a wooden door. They each had a track and obviously they weren’t going to be inside the track for a long time. Animals have more sense than humans because they know what to do at the right time. Maybe the horses were friends. Maybe they needed to urinate. However, they won’t be able to say it out loud. Not because they can’t voice out their opinions, but because they don’t have a voice. If they did, they’d be ruling over us.
A gun shot was fired and the horses started galloping like it was their last day on earth. No. 23 took the lead and 12 were in the last, as usual.  As the race went on, No.12 became slower and slower. The race ended with No.23 as the winner and No.12, as the last horse to get past the finishing line.
Jeanette jumped off her cushioned seat and clapped in a very sophisticated manner, showing no excitement in her face. She looked at Robert and gave a sly smile, which was the ‘I told you so’ smile and you don’t have to be Isaac Newton to figure that out.
Jeanette came out of the private room and went towards the losing individual and raised her hand as a gesture.
“You’ve got good sporting spirit Mr.…”
“Hathwoods. Robert Hathwoods.” He said and reciprocated to her gesture.
“Mr. Hathwoods,  of course. And I don’t think I’ll have to introduce myself to you because you seem like you’ve figured it out. But anyway, Jeanette Callister.”
“Well Miss Callister, everyone can’t be as famous as you, am I right?”
“Call me Jeanette. And you can’t really say that, Robert. I mean, people aren’t born rich or famous; they have to create their identities. Anyway, I was meaning to ask you, I know that you knew No.12 wasn’t much of a winner. Then why did you put your money on it?”
“I wouldn’t have met you if I hadn’t chosen No.12 right?”

Betty pushed her chair back.
“Wow that is just so sweet. So romantic.” She said, as sipped on her coffee.
“Yeah ok. I’m continuing.” Dare said, with a rather irritated face.
“No, wait. I have to tell you something. I’ve been spying on you for a long time now. I used to come every day to the library, only to find out what you wrote all day. It’s too hard to stay curious, you know.”
“You think you weren’t being obvious?” Daren said as he took a sip of his coffee. He smiled after his long sip.
“Oh my god, did you just smile? This is like a miracle! I...”-
“Yes I did. And yes it’s rare. Now, can we continue?” he said with a playful grin on his face.
“Yes, of course. Now, where did you leave? Oh yes, the part where Robert says that the race was an excuse for him to talk to Jeanette.”
“Her brown eyes sparkled as she gave him a sly smile.” ---
“Do stay for the after party of this race, everybody!” shouted Sam Austin.
“Good day, Jeanette.”
“To you too, Robert.”

---
There was a huge crowd at the after party of the race.
“May I take your coat Miss Callister?” The butler of the party asked.
“Thank you very much, Burton”.
She removed her coat and entered the party. Everybody was seated in their respective assigned tables. She looked around searching for the man she had introduced herself to recently. And there he was, with the love of his life, a cigar. She walked closer to his table –
“Good evening, Mr. Hathwoods.”
Robert turned around to find a gorgeous woman wearing a black and gold dress, complimented by her long wavy hair, running down her waist.
“Good evening, Jeanette. You look great, I must say.”
“Why, thank you Robert. You don’t look too bad yourself.”
He smiled, as he dropped his cigar on the ground and smushed it.
“I must say, you’re quite a character. Would you like to tell me more about yourself?” Jeanette asked, with plenty of curiosity.
Robert looked around for a few seconds to try and ignore her question.
“Nothing much to say. I…”—
“It’s time for the dance. I request all the ladies and gentlemen to join us to the ball.” said a voice from the dyers.
“May I, Miss Callister?” Robert requested, as he raised his hand and bowed.
“Certainly, Mr. Hathwoods.” She said, as she dropped her hand on his.
They walked to the ball. She put her hand on his shoulder and he put his around her waist. They danced for an hour or so, not a care about the world.
“Okay, time for me to leave, Robert. Goodbye.” Jeanette said, with a pleased smile on her face.
“Goodnight Jeanette.” He said, as he placed her coat over her shoulders.
---

“That would’ve been quite a dance, huh Dare?” Betty asked.
“We can’t say for sure because Robert here was a conman. And his intentions weren’t what Jeanette thought they were.” Dare replied.
“Oh  yeah. But I love the story till now. Why don’t you become a writer? You’ll get paid fairly and it’s definitely better than your job as a librarian.”
“I don’t know Betty. I’m not sure if my story’s worth publishing. Even if it is, none of the publishers are going to buy it”.
“Don’t lose hope, Darren. If you haven’t even tried yet, how will you know for sure that they won’t accept your story? I think you should give it a try.”
“We’ll see.” Darren replied with a shy grin. “Moving on,”—
Robert returned home, to Belein. Belein was rather surprised to see him come late because he’d never been home late, ever. Robert had started to get closer with Jeanette. It was 3 months after the race and they met every other day and sometimes, every day. They were always so happy, when they were together.
“May I take the privilege on asking why you’re late?” Belein asked.
“I was with her.”
“Who? You’re next victim?”
“Jeanette Callister, Belein.” Robert said as he stomped away.

Jeanette was sitting on a stool, in the balcony of her house.
“Someone’s here to see you Miss Callister.”
“Who?” asked Jeanette with a paint brush in her hand? She was painting a portrait of the scenery behind her extravagant residence.
“A 'Mr. Hathwoods'.”
She smiled. “Send him in, Ruston.” She said and continued to paint.

Soon, a voice came from behind Jeanette. “That’s beautiful. You’re quite an artist.” She knew who it was.
“Some things are beautiful, no matter how they look. Good afternoon Robert.”
“You too, Jeanette.”
“I know a place where we can go. Wait, let me get my keys.”
He nodded with a smile. As soon as she went in, he started searching for the portrait. He went up the stairs and looked around. He found the portrait. He went near to grab it, but there was a painting of Jeanette near it. He looked closely at her painting for some seconds and suddenly a voice came.
“Robert! I’m ready. Can we leave?”
He looked down, turned towards the door and left the room.
---
“So basically, he was in love with Jeanette. That’s why he wasn’t able to steal the portrait. Am I right?” Betty enquired.
“Well, you can’t be sure. He could have felt bad for her.”
“It’s your story Darren. You know better.”
There was a silence for 3 seconds or so.
“My parents are amazing. They’ve given me everything in my life. What did I give them? Shame. I’m worthless, Betty. Worthless. I can’t do anything on my own. I tried a lot of better jobs. But they weren’t for me. So, I decided that the library was the right job for an introvert like me.”
“That was sudden. But really, you THINK you don’t have talents. But this story you have right here? Is a talent. You’re so talented Dare. I’m sure you’ll become a great writer someday. And you’ll thank me! So, just remember that your parents aren’t ashamed of you. They’re just concerned about your future.”
“Thanks Betty. I feel better enough to continue with this story tomorrow. Good night.”
“You too Darren." She said with a wide smile.

“Good afternoon Darren. Thanks for coming on such short notice.” Betty said.
“No it’s fine, really. I feel nice telling you my story. My parents don’t know anything about this story. You’re the first to hear it.” Darren said as he took a bite of his lasagna.
“That is the nicest thing I’ve heard, Dare. You’re really sweet. It’s just that you’re quite an introvert and don’t know how to talk to people. But I’m happy you’re opening up to me. Secrets aren’t supposed to be inside. Or else, they might create a hole,  that can never be filled.”
“Shut up. Too  cheesy.”
“OKAY. Speaking of okay, I bought these shoes on a huge discount in this store called Kay…”-
She went on for 10 minutes straight. She paused.
“Done? Oh good. So, moving on…”-
Jeanette and Robert were on a weekend getaway on her car. They were headed to a beautiful forest in South Africa. Robert had forgotten all about what Bedein had told him. There was a customer waiting for the original painting. He was willing to pay $12 million for it and Bedein had accepted the advance money from him. But all Robert could see, was Jeanette. He looked at her. She was so happy. He could see the trust on her face, that one thing he could never break.
“This is the first time I feel so free. You’re the only person, with who I can be myself.” Jeanette said as removed the vintage sunglasses off her face.
He smiled and nodded because he dint know what to say.
“Robert! Stop the car.” She exclaimed.
“Why? What happened? Are you okay?”
“Of  course. It’s just that the beach across the bridge seems beautiful. Can we walk there?”
“Sure,   Jeanette. Let’s.”
They walked for 10 minutes and they had reached their destination. Jeanette was right. The beach was gorgeous. The salty water reached Jeanette’s knees as she tried to get into the water. She seemed to behave different from what she previously was.
“Robert, I need to tell you something. I’ve always had a dream. I wanted to become a ballet dancer, but I couldn’t be one. Dancing was my passion, a passion I couldn’t fulfill. Wait. Would you be comfortable if I did some ballet movements right here, on the shore?” Jeanette asked as her eyes sparkled with excitement.
“As you wish. I will stay before you, watching you dance to the rhythm of the sea.” Said Robert as he stepped aside to let the lady show off her talent.
She started off with a pointe. The way she balanced her body, was lovely. Then, she went on by doing splits and other movements. Robert couldn’t get his eye off of her. In fact no one could’ve removed their eyes off her because, her elegance and the way she complimented her body was amazing. She finished her dance and Robert stood up to applaud for her.
“So, how did you like it? Was I abled to please you?” Jeanette asked, taking a long breath.
“You’re a born talent, Jeanette. You should be on various stages, travelling across the world. You’re a beautiful woman, and you do not know the value of this amazing talent.” Robert replied, with excitement showing on his dark green eyes.
“Oh, stop it Robert. You’re embarrassing me.”
He smiled like a squirrel. He knew he was trapped between his boss, and the innocent face he couldn’t get enough of.
“It’s late, Robert. Could you drop me home, please?”
“Of course. Let me get the car.”
And they left the beach, leaving an imprint of their lives on it.
---

“Bedein, stop shouting. I am not in love with Callister.” Robert shouted.
Bedein and Robert were in the middle of a loud argument.
“Have you seen yourself? You’ve absolutely fallen for your own victim. What will I tell the dealer? That the man who was supposed to steal the portrait isn’t ready to break an innocent woman’s heart?”
“Yes?”
“They’ll kill me, Robert. They’ll kill you too.” Bedein said in a pitiful manner.
Robert walks away, without saying a single word. The trap had become too hard to escape from.
There was a weird noise in the lasagna place. It was Betty.
“HE WALKED AWAY? WHAT?”
“Betty, I think you’re getting a bit too involved into the story. You should take five before we continue.” Darren said, with his sour, low voice.
“Yeah, maybe I’m overacting. It’s just a story. So, have you had anyone in your life, which made everything special for you?” Betty had said, with a slight hint in her question.
“Obviously.  Well actually, this tailor I know told me that my shirt was torn on the day of my interview to the library. So he stitched it…”-
“My god. You really ARE dumb. You need help.”
“No, I’m not. It’s just that I’m not really a ‘pro’ in expressing like you, you see.”
“Yes, I totally see. Now, I’m your fairy godmother and I will make sure to get rid of your shyness. That’s the only obstacle in your life. If you get rid of it, you’ll be a sensation.”
“You’d do that? Wow I’m really touched. Thanks anyway. So yes, the next day, Robert, as expected had ringed the doorbell of our lady, Miss Callister.”
The door had opened. Robert looked up and he had seen the lady, with post-tears on her eye. It was obvious she had cried. Again, you don’t have to be psychic to know that.
“Come in, Robert. I need to talk to you.” Jeanette said as she invited him inside, with a bit of tears.
“What’s the matter, Jeanette? You seem troubled. May I be of any help?” Robert enquired eager to know what was going on.
She looked around. The problem seemed to be out of control. She couldn’t control her tears either. They kept coming out like the Niagara Falls.
“I lost my parents when I was 13. I lost them on November 21, 1885. That date is my birthday, which is why I hate birthdays. They remind me of how my parents died right in front of my eye. Since then, there was no looking back. My aunt lived in Brampton and she was my only option. She helped me get through my school and get a good job. And then, she was diagnosed with an unknown disease, which the doctors say, is due to high amount of sugar in her body. She wasn’t given the right treatment, and now she’s completely under bed rest. She can’t move, she can’t do anything. I was alone. I am alone. But it’s not a very exciting thing either, being solitaire. But I managed. And now, I’m rich and successful at my own terms and I’m very proud, if I say so myself.
“Oh my god. I dint know any of this, I’m sorry. Happy birthday, Jeanette.”
“Thank you, Robert. I must go check up on Aunt Sheila. Could you wait for some time?”
“Why, of course, Jeanette.” Robert said and sat on a very smooth cushion.
She had gone inside. She gave her aunt all the medicines she needed and made her sleep. She patted her aunt’s head and went out of the room to talk with the man waiting for her. She went out, and to her surprise, he wasn’t there. She looked around the house like a Dog, in search of her puppies. She looked in the bedroom; No sign. She looked in the closet; No one there. She looked everywhere, he wasn’t there. She went into her room. She looked around. Something seemed empty to her, just something. But it didn’t take too much time for her to figure out what wasn’t there. One was – Robert. The other was – Her Da’Calenta painting. She was astonished. She knew what had happened because she had put all the puzzles together to get the picture right. She wasn’t angry; not at all. She was rather heartbroken and well, still surprised. She didn’t know what to do, so she just froze in the same place for about 10 minutes. Then, she walked inside her house and sat on the sofa. ‘What had happened?’ ‘Did I make a mistake?’ ‘Was it me’? ‘Did I anger him?’ These were the only thoughts that went through Jeanette’s mind. She didn’t blame him, at all. She tried convincing herself that she was the one to be blamed. She hated herself more than anything else.

“Good. Finally we’ve gotten some sense into you” Belein said.
“You’ve got the painting, now leave me alone”. Robert said, with a rather unhappy face.
“You’re a smart boy, Ra… I mean Robert. You know what do.”
“This painting means a lot to me. I shouldn’t have taken it.”
“Well, you have. You can’t change the past, Robert. I’ve delivered the painting to Mr. Hambell.”
“Oh okay. I have to go out for a while.”
“Goodbye Robert.”
---
“So he stole the painting, regardless of how Jeanette was going to feel.” Betty said, in a lowered voice.
“He regretted his decision, Betty. He felt guilty. And by the way, he was being pressurized by Belein.” replied Darren.
“Yeah, but…”
“Maybe you should listen to the whole story before you say anything.”
“Okay, continue.”—
Jeanette hadn’t moved out of her house for 3 whole days. She dint sleep well, she dint do anything, literally.
“Miss Callister, you have a letter.” Ruston, her butler said, holding a letter in his hand.
“Yes Ruston. Bring it to me, please.” Jeanette said, with a blunt face.
She opened the letter and the handwriting seemed quite familiar. It was a letter from that man, who broke her trust and ran away, unnoticed. She eagerly opened it.
‘Dear Jeanette,
I’m sorry for breaking your trust. I never intended to do that. There are some things you need to know about me. My name is Ramon. I’m an art thief. I work for a conman. I befriended you, to rob the original Da’Calenta portrait. But later when I got to know you, I started to fall in love with you. Your honesty, your beauty, your way of appreciating  everything and mostly your love and passion, had dragged me towards you. The guilt had stabbed me across my heart. I could not bear it. So, I’m returning this painting I stole from you. The portrait had reached the customer. But I knew he was not the real owner of it. So, I performed the last theft of my life. The painting will reach you in another two hours. I hope we meet sometime, if we are destined to. I hope you forgive me for all this and if you don’t, I completely understand. You will be getting my letters every now and then. If you want them to stop, please tear it and throw it on the streets.
                                                                    Ramon’
She broke down and started crying. She’s never cried this hard. Never. She fell on the floor and leaned towards the tiles. She read the letter again and again. She knew that this man had created a huge turning point in her life. She was so happy and at the same time, she was also worried and well, sad. She kept reading the last line. She knew what to do. Neither did she throw it on the streets, nor did she throw it on her graphite floor. She opened her drawer and placed it inside.

“Yet another letter from the same man, Miss.” Ruston said, in a very sarcastic yet anxious voice.
“Oh yes, of course. I’ve been longing for this piece of paper.” Jeanette said.
She had been receiving a lot of these letters from Ramon. She got to know plenty about the mysterious man. His parents died when he was 16 and so, he was taken to his distance, yet only relative. The relative was a drunkard and did not know anything about Ramon’s life – not even his name. He later died of alcohol overdose and Ramon had no one by his side. He struggled to make ends meet for over a year, by selling the paintings he had done when he was younger. Soon, he got too tired and his paintings couldn’t be sold. Without a clue about what was going to happen next, he walked to the nearby orphanage and asked for food. But not only did they give him food, they also gave him shelter. There, he found a brother; a non-blood related one. His name was Andrew. They were so close, that they could do anything for each other. Soon, something unfortunate had to happen. Andrew had a case of brain tumor. They couldn’t give him the right treatment because of the lack of money. So, Ramon started selling his paintings to save his friend/brother. The paintings received plenty of money and the business went very well. But he couldn’t save Andrew. He cried for a very long time. He dint speak to anyone for a month or so. Later, a man wearing a pressed shirt and a perfect bow tie walked towards him. He assumed it was businessman or something. He came closer to Ramon and asked for his name.
“Ramon Denmark, sir. I’m sorry, but I want to be left alone for now.” Ramon said in a helpless tone.
“Belein Sheldon is the name. I would like to offer something to you, before I leave.”
“Yes what?”
“A job. You have to work for me. It’s a risky job and I think you’ll be perfect for it. I’ll teach you everything the world knows. Do it for your friend, son. I know that he wants the same for you. Please don’t say no.”
“Alright, sir. How can I be of any use to you?”
That was when Belein explained the job to him. Ramon was actually quite interested to do it. He knew that he had to turn into a thief, but he did it for the sake of money, the only thing responsible for the death of his soul mate. He started off as an apprentice, but as the years went on, he turned pro. Sooner or later, he was assigned to take over the Da’Calenta portrait. This is where he fell in love, with a beautiful woman.
Jeanette decided to open the letter that she had received after all the other letters. She opened the letter with anxiety. –
‘Dear Jeanette,
I can’t do this anymore. I won’t be sending you these letters from now on. Please forget me; I’m not the one for you. So, this is goodbye. We won’t meet at all, even though promised we will. Goodbye forever.
                                                                   Ramon’
She was stunned. She read the letter a million times and this time, she read it out loud. There was something fishy going on, she thought. She knew something wasn’t right. Then, it struck her. I wasn’t his handwriting. It was quite like his, but it wasn’t. She quickly ran down the stairs.
“Ruston, who gave you this letter?”
“It was a man with a bow tie and a black coat, miss.”
“Bow tie?”
“Yes, miss.”
“Do you know where the man went? Which way?”
“Oh yes. He went through the back gate and turned left. Seemed like a person who’s new to this place, miss. Everybody around here knows that there’s a dead end if we take a left from 1st avenue.”
“Ruston! Fast, bring the car.”
“Of course, miss.” Ruston said and rushed to bring the car. Soon, he was sitting on the driver’s seat of an extravagant Jaguar.
“Where to, miss?” Ruston asked in a sophisticated manner.
“The dead end, Ruston. The dead end.”
Ruston swiftly drove the car through the back gate and turned left. They spotted the obvious, helpless man, who was lost and stuck in a dead end route. Jeanette ran towards the man, holding her long skirt to make sure she dint fall during the sprint.
“Who are you? Why did you sign your name as Ramon?” she asked in a rather tempered tone.
“Who are you, miss? Do I know you?” the man asked as if he was innocent.
“Please, mister. I know you were the one who passed on the letter to my butler. Now, the name.”
The man looked around for to make her think he was still clueless. But Jeanette wasn’t one of the fools.
“Belein Sheldon is my name. Ramon works for me.” The man said.
“You’re Belein? Why did you pretend?”
“Ramon was all I had. I’m old, Jeanette. He never listens to me anymore. He was always talking about you and it made me sick. He used to sit in a corner and write some notes. I assumed it was letter; or letters, should I say. My assumption was right. I secretively read one of the letters that he hadn’t sent. I was shocked to see that he was rendering his life story to someone. I presumed that this could be dangerous. I decided to end these letters once and for all. I walked out of the room calculating a plan and I saw an empty room. I knew he was gone, for good. He left without any evidence. I was heartbroken. But I still executed my plan to stop the letter passing. So, I sent you that letter.”
“What? Are you saying he’s gone for good? No no. There’s  definitely been a mistake somewhere. He wouldn’t leave like that. He…”
“But he did, Jeanette. I know it. Please go home and take some rest. I think you need it.” Belein said, interrupting Jeanette.
“Alright. Take care Belein. I’ll look through this matter.”
“Good bye, Miss Callister.”
Jeanette stepped into her car and went home. Exhausted, she sat on her sofa to rethink the whole situation.

Betty was taken aback for a while.
“Betty? Are you okay?” Darren asked her.
“Oh yeah. It’s just that this is all going too fast and all.”
“Yeah. I hope I’m not boring you.”
“Are you kidding? I’ve never been this excited in my life. Especially all the twists and turns the story’s taking. The letters Ramon writes are like cherry on top of a chocolate cake. Speaking of cake, let’s have some ice-cream cake from that bakery across the road.” Betty replied.
“Sure. Come let’s go, I’m starving. And you’re paying this time. Done?”
“Okay fine.” She replied in a sarcastic tone.

“This cake is just so creamy. I could eat a boatload of it.” Betty said.
“Umm, that’s my cake Betty. You just finished yours.” Dare replied.
“Oh, um sorry. So continue please. She was rethinking the whole situation. Then?”
“Oh yeah. Then, a man, who seemed rugged and tall, walked towards Jeanette’s residence. He had something in his hand, perhaps a letter. She spotted the man. She knew who it was. How could she forget him? So, she ran downstairs to see his face…”—
“Ruston! Where is that man?”
“Who? Oh yes, the man who gave me this letter? He left just now. He seems to be fast, Miss Jeanette.” Ruston replied with a grin.
“Yes! The letter. May I take the letter, please?”
“But of course, miss. It is addressed to you after all.”
Jeanette grabbed the letter and ran upstairs to read it. She opened the lid of the letter and removed the sheet from inside it. She was rather anxious to look through it.
‘Dear Jeanette,
I left Belein. I cannot work for him anymore. It only gives me guilt for all the thieving I’ve done. I left the town. I am, and will always be waiting for you. I’m waiting right now. Take the right path, Jeanette. I hope you understand the clues that our lives have left for us. The right path. The right route. It will rewrite our destiny.
                                                                     Ramon’
She dint understand anything, but only for a while. She read the letter over and over, to make sense to whatever Ramon had written.
“Waiting for you. The right path. Clues. Right route. Our destiny. There must be something he’s trying to tell me. If only I could crack his codes.”
“Miss, the man took the front gate. I don’t know which route he went through.” Ruston said.
“Wait. Ruston, come again. What did you say?”
“I said that the man took the front gate and that I don’t know which route he took. Did I say something wrong, miss?”
“That’s it! Route, Clues, Right route, path, destiny. Maybe he wants me to take a right from the front gate!”
“Oh, miss. There just a measly dancing class going on there.”
“What? Dance? Oh my god! He’s there. I know it. Ruston, you’re amazing.” Jeanette said as she gave Ruston a tight hug.
“Well, thank you, miss. I hope you find what you’re looking for.”
They smiled at each other. They rushed downstairs and stepped onto the car. Ruston drove the car through the front gate and took a right. Jeanette looked out of the window. She saw a small building, with a rusted gate. The car stopped and the both of them walked into the building.

“Excuse me, do you teach dance here?” Jeanette asked a man.
“Of course, Mademoiselle. Ballet, to be exact.” The man replied, with a French accent.
“Miss, are we in the right place?” Ruston asked, with a shadow of doubt.
“For once Ruston, without a single doubt, I’m in the exact right place.” Jeanette replied with a sparkle on her face.
“Ah. If it isn’t the beautiful ballet artist.” Came a voice from behind. It was a dark, yet familiar voice. Jeanette took half a millisecond to recognize the voice. She smiled broadly, without even turning.
“Ah. If it isn’t the famous conman turned good man.” She said, with a slight grin. She still dint turn.
There was a moment of silence. Jeanette suddenly turned to find a man sitting on a chair with a pleased smile on his face. She was so extremely happy. She actually expressed all the happiness on her face. It resulted in a very broad smile with a bit of tears. She waited for this very moment for a long time. It had happened. She was seeing him. Her eyes filled with tears and it wouldn’t stop. He walked towards her and looked into her eyes.
“I knew you’d pick up on my hints and clues. After all, you are the famous Jeanette Callister.” Ramon said, with a smile on his face.
“Oh god. I haven’t cried for 4 years now. It just won’t stop now.”
“Aw now now. Please calm down. I’m not going anywhere.”
“Yes, you won’t.”
“Jeanette, could you do me a favour and walk into that room, please?”
“Um… Whatever you say, Rob… I mean Ramon!”
So, she walked into the room and he waited for her. The wait was worth it. She came out, wearing a pink ballet costume. She looked amazing.
“Mind if I practice some moves on this stage?” Jeanette asked with a grin.
“Of course!” Ramon said with an excitement on his face.
She went onto the dyers and performed the exact same routine she did on the beach with ‘Robert’ as the audience. She was as stunning as always. Her moves very excellent and her routine was elegant. At the end of the routine, she bowed and everyone around applauded for her. He walked towards her and hugged her tightly.
“Never change. Be who you are. You’re the best person anyone could ever ask for” Ramon said.
“You too, Ramon. You too.”
A year passed and they got married. Ramon went with his original name, and continued his painting. Jeanette became an entrepreneur and they, along with Ruston, lived in her house. They were happy with each other’s company. They dint need anything else.

Darren was sitting on a wooden chair, holding a book in his hand. He was narrating his story to a wider audience. He was in the library, where he got his first job. He finally decided to publish his book and he was now reading it to the people in the library.
“They dint need anything else.” Said Darren, ending his story.
Everyone applauded. But there was someone who was sitting in the front row, who grabbed all of Dare’s attention. It was an energetic blonde, who had amazing eyes.
Darren added, “I would like to thank a very special person, because of whom I’ve come this far. Elizabeth Peiters, everybody.”
Betty was full of teeth. She was so proud of the fact that she was the one who made Darren publish his story.  After he finished reciting the story to Betty, which was 6 months ago, she applauded loudly in the middle of a bus. She was slightly in tears. She told Darren to prove to world that he wasn’t just an introvert, but a talented one at that. She pushed him continuously to get rid of his laziness and made him go to a publisher. 3 of them rejected his story. He had lost hope. He whined that the 3rd opportunity was his last chance. She replied that chance is never last. It’s always second last. So, they went to another publisher for another second last chance. The publisher was very impressed and immediately accepted his offer. The book turned out to be a success. Dare’s parents were extremely happy.
Dare added, “I would also like to thank my parents for supporting me and pushing me towards doing something in life.”
The audience applauded again. Soon, it was time for everyone to check out the book. So, all of the audience scrammed like they had been offered free food.
“Betty thanks for everything. You must be a very special person because you were the actual first person, who got to listen to my son’s story. In fact, even I haven’t heard it. I’m very happy for him. Thank you so much for making this happen for him.” Mrs. Gamet said, with Mr. Gamet on her side, agreeing with her.
“Oh no, Mrs. Gamet. Y’all are his parents. It was you who guided him to become the person he is now.” “Betty said, clasping her hands together. Mr. and Mrs. Gamet smiled with happiness reaching their eyes.
“Betty! Hi. I need to talk to you can you come for a second?” Dare asked her with a tone as silent as a mouse.
“Yeah, sure. Can you excuse Mrs. Gamet? Another Gamet wants me for now.” Betty said, sarcastically. The parents laughed and nodded. They went near a huge bookshelf.
“Yeah?”
“Thanks, Betty. You’re the best. You’re quite annoying, but it’s okay.” Darren said.
“Umm… okay, thanks?”
“Yeah, you’re welcome.” Darren said as he gave out a grin. “Say, I’m writing my next story and I haven’t named it yet. Wanna hear it?”
“So, coffee or lasagna?”
“Oh, anything as far as you don’t eat up my food.”
“Oh shut up. What can I do if you order a cheesecake?”
“Okay, you order the cheesecake I’ll order black tea.”
“Whatever. Okay start.” Betty said, as they walked towards a new beginning.

--------------