Drifting Away | Teen Ink

Drifting Away

September 6, 2013
By alexandria17 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
More by this author
alexandria17 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Author's note: I hope people take away from this piece is that love is either a blessing or a curse. It can help you in one's most times of need. Or it can destroy you, almost in the blink of an eye. So hold on to the people you love, because you never know where love and life might lead you.

“There is nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away.” -unknown
I've always made the connection that love and the ocean go together somehow. Like two pieces to a puzzle. I feel that connection when I’m there. And I distinguish that others do as well. Because love is like an ocean. The tide, the waves, the storm will come but how strong one’s love is and the passion to float determines everything about the relationship. Sometimes, one has to sink before they can float. And this is how life and drift on. But I’m certain that sometimes I just need to drift away.

I stare at the forever expanding blueness, farther than the eye can see. The wind snatches at my long hair. The scent of ocean salt fills my lungs. I sink my hand into the sweltering sand. Jessica, or Jess the nickname I call her, was supposed to be here by now. As soon as I got her phone call, I dashed outside of my house and sprinted to the beach right in my front yard. Running down the hot sand, I raced towards a spot on the beach. Jess said she would be here in five minutes. She said it was something urgent.

Now, I’m sitting here waiting. It’s a beautiful day at Newport Beach, California. The sun’s rays beat down on my sun kissed skin. The gorgeous water looks tempting, pulling me in. Peering around, the beach is quite empty for a perfect July summer day. Then again, it is seven o’clock in the morning. The palm trees sway with the sea breeze. Feeling self conscious, I pull out my white sunglasses, and check my reflection. My long wavy dirty blonde hair is tousled by the wind. My blue eyes look like the color of the ocean. In the reflection, I notice my freckles are multiplying. My mom called them “kisses from the sun.”
Pushing my hands through my hair, I stand and shake the sand off of my aqua bikini and short white shorts. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Jess race down the sand, coming in my direction, her feet skimming the sand. Jess’ hazel brown hair always looks reddish when the sun reflects on it. It’s pulled up into a high ponytail. Like me, she has countless freckles on her face, because of the scorching sun. Her playful green eyes are smothered with tears. Her yellow sundress blows as she approaches. Jess stands at 5’5. I always end up looking down on her because of my long legs. She always makes fun of me for being so tall.

“Arabella! I’m so glad you're here,” Jess says as she pulls me into a hug. Tears plummet down her puffy eyes.

“Of course I’m here! What happened? Are you okay?” I ask desperately. We both plop down on the soft sand. She stares at me with sad tired eyes.

“Hayden broke up with me last night,” she whimpers, “I was driving in my car when he called me to tell me. He told me to drive over to his house to explain.” Jess lets out a couple more sobs. I pull her into another hug.
“When I got there, he told me that he just was not feeling it. He said that he likes someone else and that he is sorry. I thought it was just because he was a year older than us. Being eighteen and all. But he said he likes someone else now.” Tears roll down her face, leaving imprints in the sand.

“But he loves you. And you love him. You guys have to work it out. Every couple has it’s ups and downs. This is just one of them. You guys are perfect for each other,” I say reassuringly. This makes Jess cry even harder. The squawking of the seagulls makes me lose concentration.

“I told you Arabella. He is in love with someone else. And it isn't me.” I hear the crashing of the waves, which always soothes Jess and I.

“Who is he in love with? Did he tell you?” I ask, knowing Jess wants me to. Her green eyes stare into my soul. Her perfect red lips quiver.

“Hayden said he was in love with you.” My mouth drops open. Jess and Hayden have been together for a year and a half! They have been through everything. It just can’t all end so soon. My crystal eyes gravitate back to the ocean. It can’t end because of me. It won’t.

“Oh Jess. I’m so sorry. He is a jerk! He knows I would never like him because your my best friend. We should go talk to him. I won’t allow this,” I say in almost a whisper. Jess shakes her head. A strand of auburn brown hair falls from her ponytail.

“That’s just going to make it worse.” More people are arriving at the beach. The noise is getting louder.

“Come on, it’s going to be okay. I promise. We can fix It.” Jess slowly gets up and wipes her eyes, smearing her black mascara. She reaches out her hand to help me up. Taking it, she lifts me up.

“No, he won’t change his mind. I think I’m going to take a nap and watch depressing romantic movies while eating ice cream,” Jess whines as she wipes her darkened eyes again.

“Fine, we will fix this. But right now, you just got here. Come on, lets go surfing. It will take your mind off of things for a while.”

“I’m sorry Arabella. I have to go. I can’t. I just need to be alone! Please don’t bother me. I don’t need you right now. In fact, you're making things worse,” She snaps back. I've never seen her like this. Why is she yelling at me? I’m just trying to help her, I’m doing all I can do.

“Okay, well if you do need me, I’m either here or three doors down from you. Seriously, I want you to be okay. We can fix this.” Jess gives me a half smile.

“See you later. I..... I just need to be alone.” And with that, she turns and takes off. I watch her yellow sundress fade away as she walks across the street and up her driveway. Three doors down from my house. My head is spinning. As I turn to face the ocean, my sun streaked hair blows in my face. The sun is bright, making me squint. As my mind wanders off in confusion of what just happened, I find myself walking across the grainy sand. To my secret spot on the beach.

My mother showed me the secret spot on the beach when I was a few years younger. It’s concealed by rocks and plants. It’s not that far away from my house and the main beach, just a five minute walk. The spot is absolutely stunning. With the rocks covered in a moss type plant, it surrounds my beach, hiding it. It’s almost like a cave. And very isolated and private, like my own little beach. This classified spot was very important to my mother, as far as I could tell. I believe she met my father here for their first date.

I see the familiar rock formation coming up ahead. My head, still pounding, begins to feel dizzy. Climbing a top, I slip under the big gap of the edgy rocks into my beach. From there, I stagger to a close by rigid rock. Sitting down, I gaze up at the crystalline ocean. I always come here to think, everyday. Every surge in the waves is like a problem that dissolves away from me. The salty water approaches, drenching my bare feet. The bone-chilling water brings me back to my senses. The sun burns on my neck. Hayden likes me, I can’t believe he likes me! Warmth spreads through my whole body at the thought of Hayden admiring me. I instantly push the feeling away, thinking of Jess. Honestly, I’m very jealous of Jessica Sky. I always have been. She is drop dead gorgeous and can attract guys like Hayden. Jess doesn't have one flaw. And it’s delirious that Hayden would even consider me.

The aroma of the salt floats in the air. But my mind is still lost in the clouds. Jess and Hayden have been dating for a year and a half. And their relationship has been quite serious. Jess wholeheartedly thought she was in love, like he was the one. But of course, because of me and Hayden’s attraction towards me, it’s desolated. I think of Hayden’s sandy blonde hair, tan muscular skin, his pearly white teeth, and those grayish eyes that look like a perfect cloudy day. Shaking my head furiously, I jump from the sandy shore and dash under the rocks, slipping away from my beach. Scanning the main beach with my wild ultramarine eyes, I run down the hot sand, dodging the tons of people now at Newport Beach. Across the narrow street, I spot Jess’ house. Darting towards it, I whisper to myself.

“You can not like Hayden! You can not like Hayden!”

Bouncing up the edgy steps, I grasp the silver handle. Twisting it, I step inside Jess’ house. I’m greeted with a refreshing burst of cool air. I pull the soft fabric of my lovely flowing white sundress over my head that I've been carrying. Glancing around, I look for Mrs. Sky, my “second mom.” Jess’ house is like my “second home” as well because I’m here more than I am at my own house. Striding up the staircase, I approach Jess’ master bedroom. I apprehend the weeping of her sobs. Pushing the brown door open, I see Jess in the corner, her long auburn curly hair draped around her.

“Jess, please don’t cry. I’m here, please let me help you,” I say collectedly. Jess brings her head up. Her sparkling eyes are bloodshot and there is a scowl on her perfect face.

“So now you come. Thanks for leaving me when I needed you the most. My heart has been ripped out and torn to shreds, and now you show up,” She says in anger. My cheeks get hot, flushing with resentment.

“You told me not to come and help you. Jess, I wanted to. I wanted to help fix things, but you pushed me away.”

“I pushed you away because I know you like him back Arabella! I saw it in your eyes. I thought you would come, and I needed you. But it’s settled.” Step by step, I tread over to the corner of where she is sitting. Arching down, I give her a hug. I catch that her arm is tucked back behind her.

“I was only doing what you asked. I thought you wanted some space. I’m sorry, we can fix this. I can help you, you know I hate to see you like this.” Tears plummet down her face. The bright yellow walls of Jess’ room close in on us.

“I loved him. That’s all. And you know that. How could you like him when I love him?” She utters. Jess reaches behind, her hands jittery. There is a barbaric look in her broken eyes.
“He was my life. I never loved anyone that much. That means I’m not good enough. I will never be good enough. But he swore he loved me too.”

“Jess I-” I start to say, but she cuts me off.

“He showed me all his love. Then, he just takes it away. And ends up loving my best friend! I can’t live like this, he is my life,” She states as she pulls out a wickedly sharp knife from behind her. My heart stops. My vision whirls and my stomach lurches. Tears start to plunge down my light eyes. I bite down a scream. Jess has a knife, a knife!

“Listen to my voice, Please,” I beg, “You are loved by so many people. It’s not just Hayden. Jessica, he doesn't get how exorbitant you are. And he doesn't have too. Because so many other people know. You’re stunning. You have it all. You are so loved. And if Hayden doesn't see all the things I see about you, then he can go screw himself. So put the knife down, you are better than this.” Taking her shaky hand, I grab the life-threatening shivering knife and carefully set it down. Blinking, Jess peers into my eyes. I see fear and hesitation in hers.
“It’s going to get better. He doesn't deserve someone like you. In fact, he can go to hell.” Tears still trickle down my cheek. I take one hand and place it on Jess. Then, slipping out my iPhone, I rapidly dial Mrs. Sky’s number. My breathing is uneven, and I feel light headed.
“You don’t have to take your life because Hayden broke up with you. Love is everywhere, you just need to find it again,” I add as I dial Mrs. Sky. Jess glances at the wall, then she brings her arm around from behind her, clutching it. I see marks of gushy blood. What am I supposed to do? All that blood....
“Okay Jess, just wait. I’m talking to your mom. She is gonna be here soon,” I add soothingly. My heart jumps at the sight of Jess’ arm. Every ring brings more tears, finally, she picks up on the other end.

“Hi Arabella. Do you need anything?” She asks, chirping.

“You need to come very quickly,” I whisper, “Jess hurt herself and she wants to kill herself. It’s urgent. Please help me.” In the muffled background, I hear the start of an engine, and the phone dropping. Jess whimpers as I set my phone down. I hold Jess tighter, afraid that she will try to hurt herself again.
“You're going to be okay,” I murmur. Light shines through the dark room, like a god watching over us.

“Why did he do this to me? Why did he pick you over me?” Jess asks. Right now, her heart is like glass. It’s slowly cracking more and more. She starts bawling again.

“I don’t know. But I do know that everything happens for a reason. Maybe god decided that Hayden was not the one for you, because you are way better than him. But this doesn't mean you have have to kill yourself. Please, you have an amazing life with people who love you more than he ever did,” I state. A couple more tears slip from my now bloodshot red eyes.

“Ara, why should I go on when the only person I honestly love with all my soul doesn't love me back, and loves you?” She blows her auburn hair out of her face. Her angelic sunny yellow sundress hangs loosely on her figure.

“This is just a breakup. We can fix it, Hayden probably wasn't thinking. He is cruel. This is no need to throw your life away,” I tell her tenderly. Closing my puffy eyes, I pray a quick prayer for Jess’ mom to get here soon.

“It’s not just a breakup Ara! He likes you. He is already made up his mind. And I can’t change that,” She screeches. Right then and there, I push every little feeling for Hayden I have away. I can’t like him. Not in the condition Jess is in. I can't and won't ever admire him, for her sake. For her sanity. I apprehend the heavy door tear open from downstairs. Booming footsteps sprint up the stairs. Jess cradles her damaged arm. Mrs. Sky comes pouncing in, saving me.
Mrs. Sky’s resemblance to Jess has always astonished me. She has bright green eyes the exact shade of Jessica’s. Mrs. Sky’s brown hair and high cheekbones match Jess’ as well. When I first saw them together four years ago, I assumed they were twins. Her eyes jog from the jagged knife, to Jess’ arm, then to Jess’ pale face. A single tear trickles down her cheek. She strolls across the room. Letting go of Jess, I stand away so her mom can embrace her.
“Is this because of Hayden?”
“Yes, She hurt her arm before I came. Then she was about to kill herself, but I stopped her before she did it,” I mumble still in shock. Mrs. Sky looks at me with extremely grateful eyes. She starts gasping, tears falling from her eyes.
“You are truly an angel, Arabella. I thank the lord you were here and I will for the rest of my life. I owe you everything I have. Now you should go, you have saved my daughter’s life. Don’t worry about Jessica, I will take care of her. But I thank you and will never stop thanking you.” I turn and slowly give Jess a hug, avoiding her arm. Tears swell in her eyes. Mrs. Sky embraces me as well. She motions for me to leave, and I do, even though I fight the urge to go back. I walk down the stairs from Jess’ room in pain. Opening the door, I slip out into the sunny afternoon. My heart races, pounding.
I never once knew that love is that powerful, brainwashing. How could love do this Jess? It almost took her life away, sucking her in. I feel more watery tears drip down my face. I have the urge to now to go to my beach. I want to feel the wind blow my hair, and the water bring me back. I want to drift away. The waves of the sea always brings me back to the true me. A lousy feeling in my stomach makes me bend over. My mind floats to Jess. Part of me wants to run back in and help her. But Mrs. Sky said I have done way too much. My throat burns and I have the feeling of throwing up. My body is still in shock. Pushing my wavy sandy hair out of my way, I sprint from Jessica’s drive away. Each step aches, sending shivers up my spine. Approaching my house, I jump up the porch and rapidly turn the door handle. Catching a glimpse of Aunt Savannah, I scurry up the creaking stairs of my three bedroom household.
Bolting through my bedroom door, I pounce on my aquamarine bed. Blackness engulfs my vision. The matching aquamarine blue colored walls of my enclosed room spin, whirling around. Squeezing my eyes shut, I picture the beach, the ocean. I see my mom and dad smiling, holding hands. They gesture for me to follow. The knock on my door brings me back.
“Arabella? Are you okay? You came in so fast you didn't even say hello. Can I come in?” Aunt Savannah says in a considered tone.
Clearing my throat, I say in a cheery voice, “I’m just tried. I’m sorry, I’m going to bed.”
“Okay honey. Call me if you need me,” She murmurs outside my door. Rolling my tried blue eyes, I stuff my face in the fluffy white pillow on my bed. I wait for more tears to turn up but they don’t come. I embrace the tiredness that drifts upon me. Closing my eyes, I let myself drift away.

Time has slipped away from me. Sitting up, I rub sleepiness out from my eyes. Glancing over at my window above my pearly white desk, I see the blue of the sky slowly fading. The sun is still up though. Checking the clock, its reads six thirty two. Stretching out of bed, I tread over to the bathroom connected to my room. Twisting the handle, I step in. I've always loved the design of my bathroom. My mom painted it a couple years ago, and it always brings back memories of her. But, I also adore it because it’s beach themed. With seashells, palm trees, and the whole dang thing. Prying at the cabinet, I grab a soft grey towel. Slipping my sundress over my head, I peel off my aqua swim suit. Climbing in the shower, I turn the shower knob extremely hot. I let the water pound on my back, stinging with heat. Jogging back my memory, my mind feels as if it has been completely shut off. What feels like hours have passed. I yank the knob down, ceasing the water. My back burns with pain, but I need to feel something. The burn is just one little thing to get my mind off of Jess and Hayden.
Snatching the towel, I wrap it around me and move out the bathroom. Then from there, I stride over to my mammoth closet. I snatch out grey sweatpants and a cute pink sweatshirt that reads “Ocean Air, Salty Hair” in big white letters across the front. Sliding the clothes on, my head begins to throb again. Peering at the mirror on the wall, I brush through my soaking wet straight hair. Then, I apply some mascara to my eyelashes. Satisfied with my appearance, I pace out of my bedroom, the air smelling like my tropical coconut shampoo. As I carefully step down the stairs, I listen to the graceful humming of Aunt Savannah in the kitchen. I fathom that I won’t be able to slip away from her again. Turning the corner, Aunt Savannah glances up.
“Hey sleepy head. I’m guessing you're going to the beach? Don’t be out too long and bring your phone. I expect you to answer when I call you,” She says in a sing song tone. Aunt Savannah’s dark blonde hair is pulled back in a tight bun. Her chocolate brown eyes stare briefly at me. She is dressed very finely for a thirty two year old. Her booming red lipstick matches her red blouse. Nodding my head, I stroll across the kitchen and grab a banana from the fruit basket. I peel it and plop some of it in my mouth.
“Okay, see you later,” I state respectfully. Peeking through the window in the yellow kitchen, I notice the sun slowly setting, creating an array of vibrant colors painted in the sky.

Hiking down the street, the cool air skims my face. Stripping off my black sandals, I walk on the now chilly sand on the main beach. People are still out, having bonfires or even still in the icy ocean water. My feet move in the familiar direction of my beach. Taking off in a sprint, I have the sudden urge to scream and cry. The events of what happened earlier swarm in my mind, leaving scars on my brain. Jess... Jess almost d..died. I need to get away.
Up ahead, I see the beautiful mossy rocks. Descending down through the tiny gap in the rocks, I sense the tears plummeting down my face. Gathering my strength, I walk down to the shoreline. Plopping down on the frigid sand, I gaze at the astonishing sky. The sun gradually moves across the florid sky, making the ocean water appear to be a yellowish orange. The sea breeze is spine-chilling, making me shiver. The air smells fresh and salty. Agony shoots up my body, forcing me to wince. My mind gravitates to Jess. Her desperate face sticks into my mind like a never ending nightmare, dragging me down into darkness. Taking deep breaths, I listen to the consistent soothing crashing of the waves.

All of the sudden, I pick up the sound of rustling plants and a holler. Fear flashes in my sea colored eyes. I identify a shadow. Hayden comes around the rocks with a immense grin on his face. His sandy hair whips out in all directions. His stormy eyes portray that he has been drinking.

“Arabella! Nice to see you here,” He slurs. Wobbling down the sand, he comes in my direction. He is wearing nothing but bright red swim trunks, exposing his muscular skin. An uneasy feeling settles in my stomach. He falls right down next to me, I can waft the stench of alcohol.
“Hey babe, whatcha doing here? Why don’t we go to my place for a bit, and have some fun,” Hayden stutters, placing his muscular tan arm over me. What is Hayden doing here?!?! Is Hayden here for me?

“No Hayden. Stop. Walk away and leave me alone. You shouldn't have followed me here. You have no right to be here after what you did to Jessica,” I command forcefully. Inside, I’m shaking with terror.

“Jessica is done, she never pleased me like you do,” He utters as he scoots over.

“Stop Hayden.”

“If you don’t want to go to my place, we can do it here,” He mumbles as he places his hand on my thigh. My cheeks flush with mortification. The ocean is where I always feel safe, and out of harms way. But not now. Taking a deep breath, I remove his sweaty hand from my thigh. This can’t be happening.... How could Hayden do this to Jess?

“No, leave me alone. You certainly did not deserve Jessica, and you will never deserve me. So please leave me alone and go away!” Hayden’s eyes bulge wide open, as if he is taken aback. He runs his hands through his dirty spiky blonde hair.

“I could have any girl I want Arabella,” he says laughing, “Jessica was very lucky to have me. Now you should be delirious to have me. Because I think you are quite my type.”
“No. I would never do this, not to Jessica or myself. So please leave me alone. And don’t come back.” Fury burns in Hayden’s cloudy eyes. Standing up, he grasps on my arm, tugging me up. Struggling, I try to slip out of his grasp. The fierce wind pushes my hair in my face, covering my eyes. Then, out of the blue, a fiery pain smacks my left cheek. Pain bursts on the side of my cheek, numbing my face. White engulfs my vision. Doubling over, I plummet down into the sand. Clutching my cheek, I faintly hear the pounding of footsteps. Hayden scurries off, slipping into the darkness of night.
The murky sky is now completely dark, the moon lurks over me. The throbbing from my cheek aches with agony. Putting my sandals on, I whimper in the dark. Tears try to fall from my eyes but I force them away. In the nightfall, I begin my journey home. One agonizing step at a time.

The booming of the massive waves startles me. Making my way down the deserted narrow street, I spot my lifeless house. With one hand on my now swollen cheek, I pull my pink hood over my head, concealing my face. Stumbling up my driveway, I halt at the door for a rest. Then, I pull the front door open. There is no sign of Aunt Savannah anywhere. Sneaking up stairs with an ice pack from the kitchen, I dash to my room. Shoving the door open, I pounce on my bed. Lifting my pink hood off my face, I see my dim reflection in the mirror. My cheek is bright red and swollen, taking up the left side of my face. Mascara covers my eyes, freckles, and face like a trail. Bringing the ice to my stinging face, it leaves a chilling sensation that burns. I choke down a scream. My wavy golden hair is tangled from the wind. Pulling out my iPhone, I see I have two text messages and one miss call. One from Jess, and the other two from Aunt Savannah. Clicking, I read the message from Jess in the pitch black darkness of my room.

“Ara, I want to let you know that I’m okay. I’m getting help and everything is quickly getting better. But, I’m mostly worried about you. How are you dealing with this? I’m so sorry. I will never forgive myself for thinking like that. Thank you for stopping me. I owe you my life, seriously. I was wrong. You are always there for me. Always. I shouldn't have been so harsh, and I couldn't have asked for a better best friend. So thank you. I’m glad I’m still here. Text me back when you can, I want to tell you more, I’m worried about you.”

The world pushes on me, tugs on me, leaving me breathless. My cheek throbs, and I’m terribly dizzy. I can’t help myself, the tears come and I don’t hold back. I start sobbing for Jess and her perfect life almost being sucked away today. I sob about Hayden, hurting me, hurting my tormenting cheek he smacked. I sob for my parents, leaving me. I sob for all the love that has ran away from me, disappearing when I need it the most. I sob for all the pain Hayden put Jess through emotionally and physically. Screaming, I let all the pain from the past few years escape from me. My mind shoots back to Jess, and I realize that I’m not the only one falling apart.

Drying my puffy eyes on my sweatshirt, I peel back the covers off my blue bed. Sinking in, I rest my head on the pillow, laying straight up. I shake with despair. Closing my dreary broken down eyes, I picture happiness. I glimpse at Hayden, Jess, my mom, dad, and me strolling down the perfect white sand, with the flawless bright blue sky looming over us. Jess gives a radiant smile to Hayden, which he returns right back to her. My mom laughs, her sparkling bright blue eyes burst with joy. Her long light blonde hair blows in the wind, resembling mine. My dad giggles with her, and bends down to give her a kiss. Beaming, I laugh with them, till tears of exuberance fly down my rosy cheeks. Suddenly, the dream dissolves, turning livid. I am sucked back into reality. My heart crushes. Sleep once comes for me again, and I let myself drift away.

The sun pours into my room, blinding me with light. Blinking furiously, I peer out my exposed window. The day looks phenomenal, perfect even. Rapidly, I jump out of bed. I swiftly take off my hoodie and sweatpants and put on a black and white polka dot bikini that complements my figure. Then, I grab short blue jean shorts and a adorable white flowy blouse. Combing through my hair, I stride to my beachy bathroom. Then, I peer at myself in the clear bathroom mirror. Taking out cover up that perfectly matches my tan skin color, I apply it to my swollen cheek. After several layers of makeup, the mark is gone, completely disappeared. With no sign of evidence it was ever there. How will I tell Aunt Savannah about what happened? Squirting mint toothpaste on my toothbrush, I brush my teeth, a burst of mint explodes in my mouth. That’s just it, I won’t tell her about this. Rinsing, my pearly white teeth look spotless. Then, I jog to my white dresser. Grasping my sunglasses and phone, I head out, down to the kitchen.

Aunt Savannah is already down there, eating breakfast. She appears to be ready to go out for a morning run, with her hair pulled back and her workout clothes. As soon as she catches a glimpse of me, she opens her mouth.

“Arabella! Why didn't you answer my text or my call? I was very worried. You said you would answer,” She scolds at me. My cheery mood crumbles, recalling all the events from last night. Pacing to the refrigerator, I sigh.

“Sorry, my phone died,” I lie. Aunt Savannah’s face twists with disappointment. Although, her brown sincere eyes display empathy.

“That was very irresponsible of you! For heaven’s sake, you're going to be eighteen next year! You need to be more responsible.” I grab some toast from the toaster and lather it in butter.

“I’m sorry,” I reply, aware that she would want me to say that. Crunching on the toast, I snatch a piece of crispy bacon resting on a plate. I sense her eyes lingering on my cheek. I pray she doesn't notice.

“Thank you for the apology. I do though, expect better from you. Now if you excuse me, we will finish this conversation later. I’m going out for a run.” She dashes out of the room, leaving me alone. A smile of relief forms on my face. But quickly fades away because the aching in my cheek starts up again. Scanning the clock hanging in the corner of the yellow kitchen, it reads eight thirty nine. Strutting from the kitchen, I pull open the front door. My crystal eyes widen in astonishment. The day is absolutely flawless. I ignore the pain from my cheek, I won’t allow it to ruin my day. As I walk down my driveway, the wind pushes my sunny hair away from my face. The aroma of salt is very strong. The palm trees sway in the sky. Whipping out my phone, I text Jess.

"Hey, everything is fine. I hope you are okay. I was thinking and praying for you. We need to hang out later okay? We have to talk and I need to tell you something."
Pressing send, a weight lifts off my shoulders. Crossing the street, I see crowds of people at Newport Beach. But of course, this is one of the most gorgeous summer days in Southern California. The waves today are mammoth, superb for surfing. Making my way down the blistering sand, someone whistles. My heart starts racing, moving out of my chest. Hayden flashes through my head, I hear the smack and the impact of me hitting the sand. Whipping around, I glance at a boy around thirteen. Grinning, he gives me a wink.

Smiling I say, “Do you need a babysitter? Oh that's right, I’m busy.” Flipping my wavy hair, I strut away, not looking back. My heart starts to slow down, leaving me dizzy.
Time slows as I ramble to my beach. The sun’s warm rays beat down on my skin. It takes me longer than normal to arrive at my beach. Slipping through the glimmering rocks, I scurry down the soft sand. Before me, the radiant ocean spreads on forever. It sparkles as I listen to the waves pounding in the familiar soothing rhythm. A real toothy smile forms on my face. When I’m here, I have nothing to worry about.

Running, I splash in the water. The waves overlapping my feet. The water sends chills over my body. It’s numbing coldness is quite refreshing with the sun’s warmth beating down on me. The water sloshes just above my ankles. The seagulls flying over head squawk in a pattern. Retreating out of the water, I remove my sunglasses from my eyes and set my phone on the sand. I’m about to pull off my shorts and shirt to go swimming, when I see someone out of the corner of my eye. My body tenses and my breaths begin to quicken.

Hayden has come back for me! A whimper escapes my throat. The figure moves and approaches forward. Before I can move, the figure steps out from the shadows, behind the mossy rocks. My heart stops, and I find myself holding my breath. Emerging from the spot he was in, he treads forwards. Blinking my eyes, I squint. This must be a dream.....

“Hey! I’m sorry if I invaded your space. I didn't know that other people knew about this place, much less come here.” His blue/green piercing eyes looks like sea glass, staring into mine. His light brown hair sweeps around his forehead like a wave. His peachy skin color looks sun kissed as well. Still trying to catch my breath, my head pounds. But not with fear.

“That’s okay. You don’t have to go. But yeah, I come here everyday. I thought it was secret but, guess not,” I reply. His stunning eyes smile at me. I notice that he is wearing a grey shirt and light green swim trunks that makes his eyes pop. Shaking my head, I give him a flirtatious smile. Butterflies swarm in my stomach.

“Oh, I come here a lot too. I thought it was secret as well.” His voice is dreamlike, pulling me in.

“Yeah,” I squeak. Suddenly, It gets scorching hot. I have the urge to run in the water and drive deep below the waves.

“By the way, I’m Dustin Blaine,” He says as he extends his hand.

“Arabella Collett,” I reply as I shake his hand. Salty water sprays on to our legs bringing me back to reality, it’s just what I need. I realize how close we are to the incoming waves.

“So, you said you come here often?” We back away from the water and sit on the slippery rocks.

“Yeah. My mom showed me this spot three years ago. I've been coming ever since.” Dustin nods, and gives me a smile.

“That's awesome. I've been coming here for four years. It’s funny how we haven’t run into each other till now.” The ocean breeze feels marvelous on my skin. I nod back at him. We both stare at the overlapping waves, rolling into the shore.

“Something bout the ocean, it’s just captivating,” I mumble, needing something to say.

“I agree,” He replies, clearly uncomfortable. We sit in awkward silence for a while. Dustin glances over, while I pretend not to notice. Keeping my eyes locked on the exquisite sky, he finally speaks up.
“I didn't mean to interrupt you when you were about to go swimming and all,” He exclaims to me, grinning. All of the sudden, a spark of recognition flashes through my mind. I see myself walking down the hallway of Corona Del Mar High School, bumping into someone. I didn't recognize the boy who ran into me. But now, I recognize the figure as Dustin.

“Wait, do I know you?” I ask.

“Maybe!” Dustin says as he jumps from the rocks, pulls off his shirt, and sprints in the water. The waves soon engulf him, drifting him away. Puzzled, I slip off my jean shorts and my summer white blouse, revealing my polka dot bikini. Then I race down the shore, my feet hitting the glacial water. Splashing, I plow through the waves, shivering. The taste of salt lingers in my mouth. Scanning the water, Dustin is nowhere to be found. A towering wave encloses me, trapping me in. Ducking under the water, I drive under it. My hair floats around me; salt weaves it’s way into my eyes. Bouncing up, I notice Dustin up ahead.

“Wait for me!” I shout over the whirling of the wind. The waves roll in, smashing. Swimming, I catch up to Dustin. He gives me another grin as he floats. His eyes look heart stirring. They match the greenish tinge to the ocean water.
“Do you go to Corona Del Mar High School?” I shout at him again.

“Yes!” He screams over the howling sea wind. Then, Dustin dives playfully under the water. I lose sight of him, again. Laughing, I smile. The sun warms my body, the water’s chilling temperature gets warmer. I swim closer to the shore, ducking under every wave. Whipping my salty hair out of my face, I giggle to the shoreline. Jumping out of the water, I race to the rocks. Water drips from my hair, splashing the sand. Plopping down on a slippery rock, I let the sun dry my skin. Closing my sea colored eyes, I smile again. A real smile, I smile I haven’t smiled since my parents were here. Dustin comes sprinting up the sand, and sits on a rock next to me. Drops of water cling to his brown wet hair. Batting my eyelashes, I sit up.

“The water is freezing!” He shouts. Dustin grabs his grey shirt and slips it on. Water drips down the shirt, soaking it.

“Heck yeah!” I reply. The sun’s rays have already partly dried my skin. “So you said you go to the high school? Cause I go there too.”

“You do? I’m a senior,” Dustin exclaims.

“Junior,” I say, realizing he is a year older than me. Just like Hayden. The pain in my cheek comes back at the thought of him. Gasping, I also realize that my makeup wasn't waterproof. Dustin appears to notice as well, because his face twists with concern.

“What happened to your cheek?” Dustin lifts his hand as if he is about to touch my cheek, but then pulls away. His mouth curls into a frown.

“Nothing,” I reply, gazing down. I hope he can’t detect the lie in my eyes.

“It’s really swollen. It looks like you hurt it real bad. Do you need ice? I can go get some. When did this happen?”

“Oh really,” I lie again, “I don’t know.” Looking down at the sand, I listen to the rhythm of the waves. I can tell Dustin is not buying it.

“Arabella, you can tell me. It’s really bad,” Dustin says again, meeting my eyes. Shivers run along my spine.

“It was just someone from school, they slapped me by accident. It’s no big deal. And, I've already taken care of it,” I admit. Cursing myself for telling, I sigh.

“So I'm guessing you're not going to tell me anything more about it, huh?” Dustin asks. The sun blinds my eyes; the wind snatches at my honey blonde hair.

“That's right,” I state. Still facing towards me, Dustin frowns. I undoubtedly never want to leave this moment. But, I have a responsibility to tell Jess about what Hayden did to me. Plus Dustin will ask more questions, that of course, I won’t answer.
“I’m sorry, I have to go. It was really nice meeting you,” I exclaim. I stand from the rocks and gather my sunglasses, phone, shirt, and shorts.

“Oh, you're leaving already?” Dustin asks, as if he did something wrong.

“Yeah, I’m sorry. I’m meeting a friend for lunch.”

“Do you want to maybe meet me here tomorrow?” He asks nervously while flipping his soaking wet hair.

“Sure,” I say with a flirty smile. Whipping around, I start walking towards the gap of the rocks.
“Bye.” Dustin answers in a dreamy tone. I feel his gaze upon me as I slip under the rocks. A smile automatically forms on my face. This must have been a dream. The day is flawless and I spent some of it with a perfect boy that already has captured my heart. And the best part is? I met him at my favorite place in the world, my beach. Grinning, I realize love has finally come for me.

Striding out my front door, I skip down the porch steps. My house is a modern looking white beach house with blue drapes. When my dad painted it, I fell in love with the house. My mom did as well. Sighing, I look up into the baby blue sky. Luckily, Aunt Savannah wasn't home a few minutes ago. Perhaps she was still on her run, or she could be off doing her daily errands. When I peered into my bathroom mirror, I could tell why Dustin was so worried. My cheek was horribly swollen; a puffy red. Plus, my hair was in a tangle and my eyes were a bit red because of the ocean salt. I applied the concealing cover up to my cheek, making the mark vanish. Then, I pulled my hair into a high ponytail, the ends curling a bit. Next, I put on mascara, making my eyes appear better than they seem.

Now, I’m strolling down the narrow street to Jess’ house with a huge picnic basket. Salt clings to my skin as my white blouse billows in the sea breeze. Shuffling up Jess’ porch, the front door is ajar.

“Hello?” I ask as I step in, I set the picnic basket next to the door. Mrs. Sky greets me with a smile. Her huge green eyes are striking.

“Hi Arabella! I bet you are looking for Jessica. She is right up stairs. I don’t know if she told you already, but she is doing marvelous,” Mrs. Sky says with a huge smile.
“Yes she has. Thanks.”
“No, thank you,” She says in my ear as I pass her. Smiling, I stride up the stairs to Jess’ room. Opening the door, Jess stands at her closet. Admiring her outfit, I let out a gasp. She is wearing a flowery printed short skirt with a adorable green tank top. Her auburn hair is bouncing with curls. Whipping around, her piercing green eyes match her shirt. She lets out a squeal.

“Ara!” She screams as she jumps on me, squeezing me into a hug. Giggling, I hug her back. She appears to be overjoyed.

“Wow, you’re in a good mood,” I state as I plop down on Jess’ white and yellow polka dotted bed. She takes a seat next to me. I can see the white bandage around her arm. Shudders force itself through my body.

“Yeah I am. They really helped me, Ara. And it’s only been one day. I have this really hot therapist that is going to be coming twice a week! Plus, he is really nice. Way better than Hayden,” She exclaims. Although, her voice cracked as she said Hayden. She shakes her head, and adverts her eyes to the ground.

“Hey, how are you feeling about him?”

“I don't know. I just don’t,” She answers, honestly.

“Well, you're never going to believe what happened last night. But, I will tell you later. Do you know where we are going right now?” Jess brings her head up, and flashes a grin.

“Where?” She asks with excitement.

“It’s a surprise,” I reply with a laugh.

“You know I hate surprises,” Jess says, and I let out another laugh. Dustin floats through my mind. I feel my cheeks getting hot.

“Too bad,” I snicker as I get up from Jess’ bed.

“Are we there yet? Where are we even going?” Jess whimpers as the sun pours down on us. Little does she know I’m taking her to my beach. It’s about time she knows where I escape to everyday.

“Almost,” I answer. The wind feels amazing on my skin. The aroma of salt gets stronger, and I know we are almost there. The picnic basket is getting heavier and heavier, to the point where I have the desire to drag it on the sandy street. I see the rock formation coming up ahead. The one I go through everyday.

“Okay, where are we? There is nothing here, expect some rocks. It’s completely confined,” Jess announces. Her beautiful expression displays confusion. Approaching the rocks, I set the intertwined basket down.

“My mother and father showed me this place three years ago. I come here every single day. And I felt like you should know. Plus, it’s the perfect place to talk.” My eyes sadden at the thought of my parents. My cheek starts to ache, pulling me back.

“So this is where you disappear to everyday. Don’t think I haven’t noticed. I've always wondered,” Jess says with fascination. Pointing at the mossy rocks, I grasp the picnic basket.
“There is a gap in the rocks where I slip under,” I say as I show Jess. She slips under the rocks with me. We both land on the mild white sand.
“No way! This is amazing! Are you kidding me? It’s completely gorgeous. It’s like your own private beach!” Jess shouts. The waves roll in, one by one. The water sparkles as Jess runs around the sand in her bare feet. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops. I set the basket down as she explores. Taking out it’s contents, I watch as a smile blooms on her face.


“See why I come? I love it here.” It feels like Jess is another person. Normally, I share most/all my secrets with her. There is only a few I keep from her. So exposing this feels foreign, mostly because I tell her everything. Grabbing the blanket, I spread it along the sand. Then, I place the subs I brought on the blanket with potato chips and soda. Jess plops on the blanket, laughing.

“How come you didn't tell me about this place before?” Jess demands, clearly jealous that I knew about this before her.

“Because this place means everything to me. I have so many memories here.” Gazing at the bright blue sky, I think of Dustin. And how he yearns for me to meet him again tomorrow. Jess picks up her sandwich and digs right in.

“So what did you want to tell me?” Jess asks as her curls flutter in the wind. My stomach lurches at the thought of Hayden. I have to inform Jess about it.

“It’s about Hayden,” I say, testing her reaction.

“Ara, I still love him.” The waves seem to be pounding louder than normal. The sun blinds me.

“But Jess, he doesn't deserve you at all. He found me last night. The things he said. The things he did,” I mutter, sensing the tears swelling up in my eyes. Jess’ striking eyes bulge, she sets her sandwich down.

“What are you talking about?” She asks fiercely.

“Hayden followed me here last night. He was drunk. And he said some things. Then, he hurt me.” Digging my hand in the toasty sand, Jess’ face twists in horror.

“Tell me everything. I need you to tell me everything, do you get it?” Jess pleads. I have to tell her, I do.

“I was here, last night. I needed to get away. After everything that happened with you. I just couldn't take it. So I came here, and then I heard someone coming. And I got so scared, because no one knows about this place. And it was Hayden. Right away I could tell he was drunk. He wanted to “do it” with me. Hayden asked if I could go to his house, to “do it”. But I screamed at him to go away, that he shouldn't have followed me because of what he did to you. Then Hayden said how much I please him. And when I denied “doing it” with him, he grabbed me and slapped me across the face and ran,” I exclaim as my cheek throbs. Jess stares blankly at the ocean. Tears trickle down her pale cheeks. She turns towards me, the sun making her bright green eyes glassy.

“He really did that?” She asks, almost like she is denying the truth.

“Yes! That’s why we came down here! I needed to tell you. He is selfish and abusive! How could you love Hayden after you almost killed yourself because of his actions? How could you love him after he did this to you?” I shout. I can’t grasp that she is refusing to believe the truth. Especially from her best friend.

“Do not yell at me Ara! You have no right to say that. If he slapped you, where is the mark?” Fury burns inside me. How can she say that? I saved her life and she is rejecting that Hayden ever came near me.

“I covered it in makeup! I’m not going to walk around with a huge swollen red mark on my cheek,” I say with bitterness.
“You're lying to get me to stop loving him so you could have him. I knew it! I thought you actually cared about me.” Losing it, tears plummet down my eyes.
“Do you want to look at my cheek then?” I ask, distinguishing that Jess will realize that I’m telling the truth.
“Sure, if it is even there!” She says, knocking her sandwich in the sand. Bouncing up from the blanket, I sprint down to the shore. I’m too caught up in the moment to even bother taking off my beautiful white blouse and shorts. The icy water sends chills up my spine. Cupping my hands, I splash freezing cold ocean water on my cheek. Then I storm out of the glacial water, up back on the sand to where Jess sits. Clearly, the makeup has washed off revealing my red skin because Jess flinches and starts bawling.
“I’m so sorry.” Her light green eyes are filling with more tears. Her hand reaches up and touches my cheek. I let out a cry.
“Don't touch it!” I shriek.
“Hayden hurt you. He really did. Oh my gosh, Arabella. I’m going to be sick,” She exclaims. The sun’s rays burn on my skin. The ocean calls for me.
“Jess I’m sorry. I had to tell you. You are so much better than someone who gets drunk and hits on your best friend. You don’t need him,” I say, reassuringly.
“I can’t believe he did that to you. I can’t believe he did this all to me! Thank you for telling me. I’m so sorry I yelled at you again.”
“It’s okay, I know that you are going through a lot. Why don’t you take my sandwich and we start walking home?”
“I don’t ever want to leave here, it’s amazing. But, yes. I really do want to go home,” Jess answers as she snatches my sandwich. Shuffling all the extra food in the picnic basket, I grasp the blanket and shove it into the basket as well. Then, I walk to the mossy rocks with Jess pacing behind me. Glancing behind me, the sun ray’s pour on the ocean water as the waves roll in. Wishing I could stay here, I turn and slip through the rocks with Jess trailing beside me. All of the sudden Jess groans.
“I forgot about the long walk home! Remind me why we didn't bring my car?” She states. Her flowery skirt billows in the sea breeze. The bandage on her arm blends in with the sand. My sandy hair whips the back of my neck. The picnic basket sways on my arm.
“Because walking is apart of the experience,” I answer. Jess lets out a chuckle as we both start striding down the street.
“What should I do about Hayden, Ara? I still have feelings for him. But, I can’t go back to him because of everything he did, right? Plus, he doesn't even want me anyways,” Jess murmurs. Her bright green eyes search for an answer.
“You need to move on. He is completely heartless. I know it’s going to be tough but I’m here to help.” Her perfect lips quiver.
“My mom said the exact same thing. I just don’t want to. I keep telling myself that we will get back together and everything will end up happy. But now, I can’t see it. He’s ruined too much. I would end up better with my hot therapist then Hayden!” She shouts. I can see some of her old girly girl self slowly coming back. Grinning, I burst into laughter.
“You tell them honey!” I say, giggling. Jess shakes her head and looks down. Clearly, something is still bothering her.
“Jess, you're not going to get over him in a day. It takes time. Don’t think you're doing something wrong by still feeling stuff for him.”
“Yeah, you're right,” She utters. I catch the squawking of the seagulls as they soar overhead. We are advancing to the main beach. My conscious advises me to not speak about Dustin, to keep him a secret. But, I have the desire to tell Jess everything. Pushing it away, the picnic basket suddenly feels massive on my arm. Luckily, I see Jess’ house up ahead.
“Thanks for telling me this. I needed to know and you respected that. I’m going to take a nap. And no, you don’t need to check on me. I’m okay. It’s just a lot to handle. Thanks for taking me to your beach. And, I’m sorry Hayden did that to you. You didn't deserve that one bit. I'm sorry for not believing you. I do now, and I will from now on. Thank you for being there,” Jess says with a behemothic smile, revealing her impeccable straight white teeth. We approach her driveway as she gives me a hug. I've never been to good with emotions, so I’m at a lost for words.
“Your welcome. You're going to be okay?” I ask Jess.
“Just fine,” She answers as she skips up the driveway. “Thanks for lunch!” Jess shouts as she steps into her door, her light green tank top fading away.

Treading to the door, I deposit the picnic basket. Dusting off the sand from my white top and shorts, I enter the house and listen for a sign that Aunt Savannah is back. I apprehend her humming as she cleans the stairs. Whipping around, she frowns. Bits of blonde hair stick out from her ponytail, her brown eyes study my face. Her neon orange workout shirt blinds my eyes. She descends down the stairs and pauses, squinting at my face. Horror strikes me like a lightning bolt, awakening my thoughts.
“What is wrong with your cheek? Gosh Arabella! What did you do? It looks abhorrent!” Aunt Savannah barks at me. Oh no! The water washed the makeup off because I had to show Jess! Scolding myself, I flinch. I should have remembered! My brain pounds with panic. Cursing silently, I breathe deeply.
“I was out surfing, and the waves pulled me under. I hit my cheek on a rock. I came back as quickly as I could to ice it,” I lie. Averting my eyes to the floor, Aunt Savannah snickers.
“Tell me what really happened and we can skip any problems. You are too old for this and it’s about time you start telling me the truth. I am sick of the games you play. You are stuck with me and you might as well talk to me and tell me the truth. Stop pretending that I am not here and a part of your life, because I am. And it’s not my fault my sister and your father are gone. I've been trying to help you and you push me away. We have been going through the same things for quite some time now. So just tell me the truth,” Aunt Savannah says fiercely. My crystal blue eyes begin to water. I’m weary of everyone yelling at me.
“Stop! Just please. You are not apart of my life! I don’t want you in my life, I want my parents,” I snap at her. I just want my parents!
“Just tell me the truth!” Aunt Savannah screams. She steps closer, tears filling in her chocolate brown eyes. I am weary of crying, I don’t want to cry anymore.
“Hayden slapped me while he was drunk because I denied doing with him and liking him. He broke up with Jessica and she almost killed herself, but I stopped it. But, he broke up with her because of me! Because of me! Hayden claimed he loved me. But he is supposed to love Jess! And my cheek hurts and I’m tired of everything. Happy now? Now you know. So you can leave me alone.” Crumbling, the world spins. I’m done, I’m done.
“Arabella-” Aunt Savannah whispers, eyes wide open. Her mouth opens and closes.
“Just please leave me alone!” I shriek again.
“Why would you hide this? Why the hell would you do this to yourself?”
“I don’t need you. I never have and never will. I need my parents,” I say as I storm up the stairs. Sprinting into my room, I lock the door.
“Come out! Don’t you see? I know what you are feeling. Come on! Let me in,” Aunt Savannah demands, pounding on the door.
“I’m sorry,” I whisper by the door. The pounding ceases, and I catch the sound of footsteps backing away. My heart races as the sun pours into my room. Pacing to my bed, I curl up and weep. All I want is love and happiness. I just want to drift away, and forget about everything. My past, present, future. Gone. I just want to live in the moment and not feel anything but delectation. I want to feel what it feels like to love and to be loved, because I have forgotten. I want the pain to just dissolve. It swallows me whole and leaves me thinking why me? Why me? The desire to run to my beach and talk to Dustin overwhelms me, to the point where the ache in my heart is too strong to bare. I want to tell him everything. I want him to hold me and tell me everything will be okay. I need the love that he could offer.
I strip off my white blouse, jean shorts, and my polka dotted bikini. Next I pull on sweats and a bright green v neck shirt. Then, I tug my thick hair loose from my ponytail. It falls in perfect blonde waves. From the bathroom, I grasp an ice pack and press it to my cheek. Fiery coldness frosts my cheek, making it throb. The traces of tears stick on my face, like scars of memories. Haunting with me and twisting me, that leaves me wondering what is false or reality. Diving in to bed, I check the clock. It reads three fifty. Squeezing my eyes, I just yearn for the day to be over. Thinking of Jess, I grab my phone from my white desk. I dial her number and press the phone to my ear.
“Hello? What’s up?” Jess asks on the other end.
“Just checking if your okay,” I answer. I hear footsteps and murmuring on the other end.
“I’m actually with Hayden right now. We are talking and it’s going well. Please don't freak out or anything. My mom made him come over and to talk things out between us,” Jess whispers.
“How can I not freak out? This is a total mistake! Jess tell him to leave!” I shout in the phone. How could Hayden do this to Jess?
“No, it’s okay. He never wanted to break up in the first place. It was a mistake. He was drunk that day and he just didn't know what he was doing. Hayden said he won’t make that mistake again. Plus, he said he was sorry about slapping you. But I believe we are getting back together. He said he loves me, and he was cruel to let me go,” Jess squeals with a joyous tone. My heart stops and my mouth drops open. This can’t be happening!
“He is completely lying! Can’t you see? After everything he did! Did he seem drunk when he broke up with you? No! He was drunk when he slapped me. I’m sorry but the only reason he came back to you is because I rejected him. I’m sorry but it’s true. You said it yourself that you are going to start believing everything I say and now's the time. Trust me,” I state. Praying that she listens to me, I sigh deeply.
“Ara, I want to listen to you so bad. It does seem unrealistic. But he came back and he still loves me. He deserves another chance. Everyone makes mistakes. Hayden was just confused and he thought he liked you. But that wouldn't happen. Lets be real here. I love you but I think I’m going to go out with him again,” Jess confirms. My mouth drops open again.
“He is just going to hurt you again. And then what are you going to do? Repeat the process. You're going to try to hurt yourself and then everything will be a mess. Hayden is using you. I promise he is. You're too good for him! I've told you. Come on Jess, think!”
“He did do a lot. But he’s back now. Better than ever. Maybe he learned from his mistakes,” Jess says, uneasy.
“I can tell that you're not sure. Please listen to me. Save your heart for someone who really cares and loves you. Who doesn't get drunk and hits on your best friend. Someone who doesn't almost make you commit suicide because of their carelessness! You need to think here. That’s why I’m here.”
“I get what you mean. It’s going to be so hard. I know you know I still love him. And you said so yourself that the feelings are not going to disappear right away. I just wish none of this ever happened. I wish Hayden was that guy. The one that doesn't do those things that he did to me. Ara, I don’t know. What if that guy never comes, the one who really has my heart?” She asks, still whispering. I’m guessing she went in another room, away from Hayden.
“He will come. God has a plan, he always does. The right guy is probably waiting for you. Can you just trust me?” My head spins. I can’t lose her again..... She can’t fall into Hayden’s trap.
“I’m going to give Hayden another shot. Everyone deserves another chance. I will just forget about the past and if Hayden does hurt me, it wouldn't effect me because I learned from my mistakes. I love him and after this, if we break up. I will let him go. I swear it Ara,” Jess pleads.
“It’s not my choice, do what you want. But I believe it’s wrong. You're making another mistake but I can’t stop you now. I know you're going to regret this Jess. But do what your heart says to do,” I utter, knowing that what Jess is doing is completely wrong. But no matter what I say, Jess won’t listen. When her heart is set on something, it’s set. I can’t change that.
“Thank you. Thank you so much. If anything happens, I will break up with him. I will. I promise,” She answers. I hear her footsteps as she must be approaching her room where she left Hayden.
“What was that about?” Hayden snarls.
“Nothing babe, we are getting back together,” Jess mutters as she hangs up the phone. My head swirls, lost in an ocean of thoughts. After everything, she still is giving him a chance? Jess must be completely blinded by love because he does not deserve a second chance after what he did to her and me. Fury boils up inside me. I crave to go to my beach, and just lose myself. But I can’t face Aunt Savannah down there. I just can’t. Pain aches in my cheek and I really do wish it will heal soon.
Laying back in my bed, I unlock my phone and turn on music. Then, I set it down on the desk. Country music flows through the speakers. I smile and then shake my head. People would and still make fun of me and my parents for liking country music. California girls aren't expected to listen to country music. But I've never cared, it reminds me of love from my parents. Of course I love other music, like pop. Music is my life, besides the beach. But my parents loved country music and they showed it to me when I was young. I fell in love with it right away. I guess why I loved it so much is because it can be upbeat or slow. It is deep and emotional and can leave you wondering is that song written for me? My mom was from Nashville, Texas before she moved to Southern California and met my dad. I remember they used to go out at night and slow dance on the porch to country music.
Shaking my head from the distressing memories, the next song rolls on. Slow and relatable. My eyes feel heavy. Peeling the covers off my bed, I slip inside and rest my head on my non injured cheek. My mind still can’t process that Jess is with Hayden. It is a huge mistake that she distinguishes! I can picture Hayden smiling as he kisses her, knowing that he doesn't love her. Jess was wrong, he still likes me. I fathom it. My thoughts shift to Dustin. I glimpse at his freckles below his sea green eyes. They display his emotions so clearly. I examine his pearly white smile and light brown hair that swoops around his forehead. My heart aches, and I sigh. A thought hits me like a lightning bolt.
He probably has a girlfriend! I think in frustration. Of course he would. Dustin is attractive, caring, and everything. Plus, I believe I remember seeing his last name on a back of a jersey on the Corona Del Mar High School football team. The same team Hayden is on. So that means Dustin is popular and out of my league. Jess and I are popular, but Dustin is a year older than us. My heart throbs at the thought of him. Squeezing my eyes shut, I let sleep come and get me.

The sun once again streams through my window, making me squint. Rubbing my eyes, I sit up. Shockingly, I realize I have slept through yesterday. Thoughts swarm in my head like individual lost stranded bottles floating in the ocean known as my soul. My cheek has a small dull ache that is not bothersome. The ice must have prevented a major throb in my cheek because it almost feels better. Tears linger in my eyes as I encounter the memories of yesterday. I ponder if I will get a punishment from Aunt Savannah. My vivid eyes widen in astonishment. I have to meet Dustin! Rapidly, I scan the clock. It flashes ten o’clock. Gasping, I realize he might not be there. We never agreed a time. Swiftly, I glance in the mirror. My cheek is less swollen, and a light red. The mark is almost nonexistent. I slap on makeup on my cheek, making it completely vanish. Feeling frisky, I cover my lashes with mascara. Brushing my teeth, I survey my closet. I pull out a solid light pink sundress that ends above my knees. Then, I pick out a strapless white bikini. Tugging the clothes on, I rinse my mouth. Next, I brush my hair as I check my phone. It stares back up at me with no notifications.
Grasping my black sandals, I scurry out the door. I listen for Aunt Savannah’s presence. Slowly descending down the stairs, I creep into the kitchen. There, I glimpse at a note on the granite counter. My eyes scan it wildly.
“Dear Arabella,
I have left for the day. Behave and don’t be out late. I know you won’t listen to this but it’s the least you can do. Don’t worry about me. You won’t anyways. Have a great day.”
Crumbling the note up, I toss it in the garbage. I’m actually pleased that she is gone. Grabbing an apple from the counter, I tread to the door. Crunching into the juicy goodness, I pull the door open and step outside. It’s another flawless day. The sky is a fulgent blue, stretching across the cloudless sky. The palm trees sway at the gentle sea breeze. I can already assume the water is phenomenal. The sun sits, covering a layer of sunshine. Sprinting down the street, I inhale the apple, trying to savor it’s divine taste. Crowds of people are at Newport Beach. Children are splashing and playing in the water. Others are boogie boarding in the prodigious waves. Whipping my head, I stop dead in my tracks. Glancing back, their gone. My mind swirls with confusion. Puzzled, I look back one more time. I could have sworn I saw Hayden and Jess laughing in the waves, splashing and giggling.
Shaking my head, I jog and ease back into my running speed. I need to see Dustin. It’s something I’m yearning for. I crave his presence like something I couldn't live without. All this mess jumbling in my mind. It has to go, I need to just take a break of it all. Dustin could give me that, he could provide everything I need. Smiling, I adore the idea of getting away from everything. I identify the mossy rocks, so I gradually slow. Jogging, I make it to the rocks. My breaths come out choppy and uneven. Panting, my head whirls. Fixing my hair, I duck through the rocks. I expect to see Dustin diving in the waves or sitting sitting on the rocks. But he’s not here. The only signs of his presence is a bright yellow surfboard, resting on the mossy rocks. My heart pumps with desperation, he has to be here. The sea breeze flutters my pink sundress and my hair. My fearful eyes scan my beach. Strolling down the sizzling sand, I concentrate on the waves crashing into the shore. The sun shines on the water, making it shimmer. I lay my phone on a rock and make my way down the shore to relax. I scrunch my nose in frustration, but relax again. He will be here, I distinguish it. The pattern of the waves soothes me and I can feel myself slipping, drifting away. The water sloshes on my feet, waking me.
“Hey, You’re here!” Dustin says in surprise as he makes his way down the sand, towards me. He is wearing my favorite color aqua blue swim trunks. Plus he is wearing a white muscle shirt that really does show off his muscles. My heart pounds faster than it’s ever gone before.
“Hi,” I say as he plops down next to me. The spine-chilling water splashes my feet again.
“Hey,” Dustin murmurs again. His bright sea green eyes drag me in as he flashes a pearly white smile. He runs his hands through his light brown hair. My stomach fills with butterflies.
“Were you surfing?” I ask him, directing my hand towards the surfboard.
“Yeah, the waves were impressive today,” Dustin says casually. I notice our fingers are almost touching, grazing the summery sand. Another gush of water sloshes our feet, the salt itches my skin.
“They must have been,” I say with a smile. We both peer at the crystalline ocean and I can feel Dustin’s captivating eyes on me. The sea wind blows my golden hair and snatches at my pink sundress once more. The scent of salt overwhelms my lungs. The waves push the water, drenching our feet again. The sun beats down on us. I have the strongest urge to tell him everything. Just to let it all out. It would feel magnificent, to just share. All have to do is speak, and then the pain will go away. Not just the pain from now, but from the past three years.
“So you said your mom and dad showed you this place?” Dustin asks, obviously trying to start a conversation.
“Yeah, they did. They really loved this place. It was really special to them,” I utter. I picture my mom’s warm smile, and my dad’s laugh.
“It was really special to them? What happened?” Dustin asks with a spark of curiosity. Memories swarm in my my mind. My expression must display grief because Dustin speaks up again.
“I’m sorry, I shouldn't have said anything,” He expresses. Icy ocean water collides with my skin, forcing a shiver to sprint up my spine.
“No it’s okay. I believe my mom and dad came here a while ago on their first date. They shared a lot of memories here, I could tell. So when my mom and dad showed me this spot, we spent the whole day here, and it was amazing. After that, I came here everyday. And I still do. My family always had a certain connection with the ocean, I can’t explain it. But anyways, three years ago my parents went out to dinner and they never came back. I don’t know if their dead or still out there. All I know is that I miss them so much that some days I can’t take it,” I say as I survey the ocean. Tears drip slowly down my face. The waves soothe me as Dustin watches my tears plunge into the sand. Salty water approaches and splashes our feet. I miss them. I miss them so much. I would do anything to get them back.
“I’m so sorry. It’s going to be okay. I just have my mom, if that makes you feel any better. My dad ran off when I was really little. But please don’t cry Arabella. You must be a really strong person if you're dealing with all this,” Dustin announces. His piercing eyes stare into my soul. I can see he wants to comfort me but he doesn't know how. Dustin inches his hand closer to mine, so they are almost touching.
“Thank you. I didn't mean to cry. I just haven’t told anyone that expect my best friend Jess. But how did you come across this beach?” I ask, wiping away the tears and putting on a confident smile. I shouldn't have cried, now I look weak and helpless. Dustin gives me a grin that makes my heart beating so rapidly, I feel dizzy. He reaches up and wipes a tear from my cheek. A trail of fire burns from his fingertips.
“I found this place a four years ago like I said earlier. I was out hiking and stumbled upon it. I was trying to get away from my friends and mom. I just needed a break, they were bugging me to death. You know?” Dustin says causally.
“Oh I know. I do the same thing,” I answer honestly. Water splashes our feet, the coldness causes me to jump. Dustin lets out a laugh that forces my heart to race.
“You know what you need?” The sun reaches out and touches my skin. Inhaling the salt, I try to smile.
“What do I need?” I repeat.
“You need to get away from all this. Come on, lets go swimming,” Dustin announces with a smirk. I crave to get lost with Dustin, but somehow Jess and Hayden always pop up in the back of my mind. Worry swells inside me, but I block it out. I need to drift away. Peeling off my sundress, I fling it on the blistering sand. Retying my white bikini, I see Dustin is already out in the sea, plunging beneath the waves. A smile forms on my face as I dart in the ocean. The water brings shivers racing across my body. Dustin materializes and splashes me as the waves roll in. Salt grazes my tongue as I playfully splash Dustin back.
“Stop!” I screech as droplets of water soar in the air. Dustin plows through the waves and stands by my side.
“Stop what? This?” He exclaims as he splashes me once more. Laughing, I smirk. This is just what I need.

Water droplets trickle down my sweaty back from my salty soaking hair. Peering back at the fading rocks, I grin. The sun flashes in my eyes and my heart pounds so loud I can hear it. After Dustin and I swam in the ocean, we sat on the scalding sand. He repeatedly stared down at me with his luring eyes. We divulged in a deep conversation talking more about his life and mine as well. I feel like I know him know a million times better. He lives with his mom, Mrs. Blaine. Dustin also has a little ten year brother named Sean. His dad dispersed out of his life because Dustin's mom was a heavy drinker. But she’s is under control now. The rest he left a mystery, and it was my turn to share. I shouldn't have spilled everything. It all came out before I could stop myself.
I confessed everything. I told him about when my parents never came back to me I started cutting myself. Quickly after though I realized it was wrong and stopped right away. I told him everything about Jess and Hayden. He listened the whole time. Quiet yet concerned. I let it all out. All the pain that was mentally tearing me down inside. Tears dribbled down my cheeks but it didn't matter. I let it all out. Dustin apprehended that I needed to let it out. And he understood me completely. After my sobs drained out, he took me by the hand and we slipped into the ocean. The only place we can both drift away.
Wind grazes on my skin as I ramble down the narrow street. I glimpse at the main beach as the pale blue sky looms overhead. The crashing of the waves hum as my heart pumps violently. My breathing quickens till I’m hyperventilating. Dizziness falls upon me as I stop and catch my breath. The squawking of the seagulls and the murmuring of the people at the beach forces my head to spin. I pick up the sound of heavy footsteps approaching. Something claws on my pink sundress.
“We need to talk,” Hayden utters in my ear. Stopping dead in my tracks, I can’t bring myself to turn around. Fear radiates off me. Hayden is here for me.
Slapping on a straight face, I whisper at him, “What about?”
Hayden clutches my hand and spins me around so I’m facing him. Hayden’s grey eyes display anger. “Not here, by your house,” He commands as he places his hand on my back and turns me around again. Then, he nudges me to start walking. Catching my breath once more, I obey and start walking, one step at a time. Trudging down the narrow street, I spot my house. The driveway approaches as a bead of sweat trickles down my neck. Stepping on the porch, my mind swirls in alarm.
“What do you need to talk to me about?” I ask, still showing no emotion on my blank face. But inside, my head slams with fear. What is Hayden going to do to me?!?! I can’t show him I’m afraid or I else I will look weak and he will hurt me.
Hayden’s blonde hair ripples in the sea wind as his eyes give me a cold stare. His black shirt hugs his chest. Placing his arm on the door frame, he traps me in. Tremors run along my spine.
“I’m not letting you go so fast. Yeah, I was drunk and I’m sorry for hitting you. But it doesn't matter. What matters is you and me. I’m not letting you go nowhere Arabella until that happens.” Stuffing down a sob, I straighten up.
“Hayden, you are going out with Jess correct?” I ask. Another bead of sweat trickles down my back.
“Yes, but I’m calling it quits. I still got my eye on you. After all, I’m over Jessica,” He exclaims, moving closer. I inhale the stench of his sharp cologne.
“Who the hell do you think you are? Just leave me alone!” I growl.
“Babe, come on. Stop messing with me,” Hayden declares. He inches closer, my body is pressed up against the door. One of his hands snatches my thigh, the other one grabs my face.
“Help!” I scream. My voice squeaks with fear. For once I wish Aunt Savannah was here....
Suddenly, Hayden smacks his lips on mine. Struggling for air, his lips bite mine. Tears stream down my eyes as his pulls me in tighter. Hayden’s hands roam as his hot lips burn against mine. His lips move with hunger like a wild beast. His muscles press against me as I struggle to break the kiss. Distress radiates off me as I try to shove him off of me. The lack of air makes my head twirl. Alarms spin around my mind as he takes his lips off of mine.
“Get off of me!” I yelp as Hayden leans in for another kiss. Fury burns my cheeks and more tears flood down my eyes. My brain is overwhelmed, but I take a risk. Shoving him back, I punch him right in the nose. The pain numbs my hand as grunt. Hayden brings his hands to his nose as I slip from under his arms. Sprinting around him, I kick him in the back, causing Hayden to fall forward. A throbbing sensation builds in my foot, forcing me to stumble. Hayden whips around with blood gushing from his nose. Did I do that? Oh I really did do that! Peering at my hands, I shake with fear.
At the corner of my eye, I see Hayden moving rapidly towards me. I can hear Hayden swearing as his arms reach out for me. Wind snatches my hair as I sprint and stumble under his grasp. Twisting the door handle, a rip it open and duck inside. Tugging on the lock, whimpers come out of my mouth. My stomach lurches and my head spins with agony.
“Damn! Open the door! Open the freaking door right now Arabella!” Hayden screeches, punching the door with force. Running into the kitchen, I grab a chair and push it against the door. My phone rings in my sundress pocket. Fumbling for it, I see it is Jess.
“What did Hayden do you? I heard the screaming from my window. I caught everything! I’m so sorry for not believing you. Are you okay? Please tell me you’re okay!” Jess says in a rush. The knocks on my door cease and I pick up Hayden’s cursing as he sprints down my driveway.
“Oh Jess. I’m gonna...I’m gonna throw up. He.. he found me and then he kissed me. And, he bit my lip. And I punched him and he..he was bleeding. And-” I choke back a sob. I feel weak. Terribly weak. Crying is not the answer, and yet, I find myself crying everyday.
“Stop Ara. Take deep breaths. It’s going to be okay. I’m sorry, I’m sorry. It’s all my fault. I should have listened to you and I can’t stop regretting it. Hayden and I are done okay? We are done!” She commands in the phone. Snatching the chair away from the door, I make sure Hayden is gone.
“I need to lay down,” I say as I stumble up the stairs.
“I’m coming over,” Jess demands. The line shrivels and goes dead. Tumbling into my bed, I slowly crawl in. Light from the window shines as I slip under the covers. I constrain my tears in, I’m not going to be weak. I catch Jess out of my window running in her black sports shorts and pink sports bra. She rushes up the porch and whips out my spare house key. I hear her boom through the door. Seconds later, she rushes into my bedroom.
“Your lip!” She exclaims as she grabs a towel from my bathroom and delivers it to me. I press it to my lip, blood soaks on the white towel. I mumble and Jess register's it completely.
“I know you don’t want to talk and that's okay. I’m here to inform you that I called Hayden right after I saw him running from your door. We are done, I broke up with him. I heard and saw everything. I was in my room when I heard you scream. I came down through the front door and caught Hayden kissing you. It’s okay, I’m fine. I realize now what a jerk he is. And I should have listened to you. I’m going to miss him dearly but that's a sacrifice I am going to have to make,” Jess exclaims as she sit on my aqua bed. Her auburn ponytail whips after her.
“Oh, I had a session with my therapist today. I was talking to him about Hayden and you. He told me that I should break up with him. I was actually considering doing it this morning,” Jess adds. A smile forms on my face. Jess is returning to her old self.
“That's great!” I croak. My stomach lurches and black spots appear in my vision. My adrenaline surges as the world rotates around. The last thing I see is Jess’ twinkling green eyes as blackness falls upon me.

I awoke with Aunt Savannah, Jess, and Mrs. Sky peering down at me. After convincing them I was fine, I showered and ate breakfast. Then, I went straight to the beach. I had a huge headache and my lip tingled with pain. Of course, when I got there Dustin was waiting for me. He was like therapy. Holding all the stress, pain, loss, and everything inside me overwhelmed me. He cured that when I was with him. It’s like he understood everything. I proclaimed pieces and pieces of my life. In exchange for some of his. I told him about what occurred last night with Hayden. His eyes revealed every little feeling he had when I was sharing. He couldn't believe Hayden, his football teammate, could do such a thing. After his comfort, we went surfing. The sun blinded our eyes as we took control over the waves. My green bikini matched the green surfboard as we rode the waves. Happiness found me in that moment. The feeling was a feeling I am never going to forget. It’s there with me forever.
Days and weeks roll on. Each day bringing a different memory. My time with Dustin expands longer each day. To the point where I am going to the beach in the morning and coming back home as the sun set begins to fade. Our talks have been becoming deeper and my feelings have been becoming stronger. I haven’t chatted with Jess since the night she came over after what Hayden did to me. I don’t have time. I only have time for Dustin. I've also cleared a bit with Aunt Savannah. She’s keeping her distance, but she is also informing me she cares. As for Hayden, I have not seen him since our last encounter.
Exuberance radiates off me each day. Dustin shares more and more about his life. I soak it in, carrying into the bottom of my heart. For I perceive that I’m falling deeper and deeper for him. Even pondering about him sends my heart on a race that leaves me breathless. Love has entered by blood stream, sewing my broken heart back together. I can feel the pain dying, only to be replaced with jubilation. I comprehend what it feels like to live again.
Now, the ocean salt fills into my lungs as the puffy white clouds move in sink. My hair is in an elaborate fishtail braid, and I’m wearing my ravishing bright blue sundress that matches my eyes. I feel absolutely lovely. I even have a Himalayan blue poppy flower in my hair. My mother adored blue poppies; my dad would get her millions. The sun beats down on my shoulders, followed by an gentle sea breeze. I sight the mossy rocks as my heart slams in my chest with excitement. I've been meeting Dustin here for a month now. And I am almost completely healed. We know everything about each other and our relationship has taken flight. Soaring up towards the sky. All of the sudden my phone vibrates against my hand, startling me. I peak down to find it’s Jess.
“Hey girl!” I chirp as I approach the rocks. I slip off my white sandals and set them on the rocks.
“Where have you been? You've been gone for weeks. I haven’t talked to you or have seen to you in a long time Arabella. I have gone to your house everyday and you're not there. Is this a joke? Are you okay?” Jess questions on the other line. Her tone suggests that she is not quite happy with me. Oh no, I forgot about Jess.....
“Oh Jess I’m sorry. I’ve been busy and I’m okay. Actually I’m more than okay. We have to hang soon!” I squeal.
“You’re busy? Too busy for your best friend? You don't even sound like yourself. Come on, what happened?”
“God, I’m sorry. I met this guy, okay,” I whisper rapidly because I know how she is going to react.
“Oh my god! No way! That's amazing! Tell me everything Ara!” Jess screeches with joy. Before she bombards me with details and questions I cut her off.
“I gotta go. Sorry!” I mutter. The sun scorches my skin. My body itches for the feel of ocean water.
“Please don’t leave me though Arabella. I know that you probably want to spend a lot of time with him. But, don’t forget who your real best friend is. Tell me everything later, okay? Bye!” The line goes dead as I scoop up my sandals off the mossy rocks and duck under. I catch Dustin’s silhouette projected on the sand. Peeking behind the rock, Dustin does not sense my presence. I glance at him for the first time, really taking in every detail. He is sitting on the summery sand. Half of his body is facing me. Dustin gazes off in the distance, his eyes glimmering like the ocean. My heart bolts, shocking me. His freckles jump out from his sun kissed skin like bright stars in the night sky. Dustin’s dark brown hair flutters in the wind. He is wearing tan khaki shorts with a gray t shirt. His appearance forces my head pound. Slipping from behind the rocks, I skim the scorching sand. The sea wind brushes my skin as the sun streams down on my shoulders. The sparkling waves are prodigious.
“Hey Dustin,” I state as I plop down next to him on the sand. Dustin turns to me. His eyes wide.
“Hey Arabella,” Dustin says in a husky tone that sends my heart thumping so loudly my face turns red. He studies me for a second and glances away. I pretend not to notice and stare into the ocean. The waves crash in rhythm; the ocean expands forever. I catch Dustin’s hand inch closer to mine.

“Jess called me today,” I mutter, thinking of something to say.

“Is that so?”

“Yes, she said I’m spending too much time with you,” I joke, laughing. Grinning, he flashes a smile.
“Well that’s a shame. Too bad I can't let you leave,” Dustin announces as he rapidly wraps his arms around me. Giggling, he tickles my stomach and holds me tighter. A fiery sensation swarms my body. Every touch sends a jolt through me. His strong muscles hold me. The wind snatches at the lose hair from my elaborate braid. Looking down at me with longing eyes, Dustin tucks the stand of hair behind my ear. The sun beats down on us as the waves pound. The salt lingers in the air. Glimpsing up at him, I smile.
“God you look so beautiful.”
“Shut up,” I utter back, even though the complement sends shivers up my spine. He lets go of his arms and places me in front of him. His luring sea green eyes stare into my soul. I allow myself to get lost in them. I’m falling for Dustin Blaine, nothing can stop me.
“Arabella, I need you. You don't know how bad I need you,” He says as he clutches my hand. The world freezes at his words. Did he just say he needs me? He needs me! It’s just me and Dustin on my beach. My favorite place in the world. The sand blazes with heat, brushing my blue sundress. My heart goes berserk.
“I need you more,” I answer. Dustin smirks at my reply, although his eyes plead for me. Dustin pulls me closer so our foreheads are touching. He slides his hands around my back. My hands automatically slide up to his hair. My breaths quicken. Everything I’ve been desiring is coming true. All the daydreams are finally occurring. His lips brush mine for a second, as if he is testing me. I taste the salt on his lips. Wow.
“Let me take the pain away,” Dustin mummers quickly in my ear. He knows..Dustin comprehends that I yearn for him. That I need him to make me drift away from all the pain.
“Please,” I whisper back to him. I am beyond certain he is what I need. Dustin presses his lips to mine, stronger this time. Shutting my eyes, I let myself get lost in him. Emotions flood through me, bursting from the very depths of my heart. My lips move in sync with his. Exhilaration flows through me, the feeling touches my heart. Love has come for me, it finally has come, I tell myself in awe. My hands slide in his hair; his skin caress mine. I can feel his muscles working as he holds my back. Oh my.
As we pull away, I smile. The feeling stirring inside me is wondrous. The sea wind gusts, and Dustin wraps his arms around me. The waves are harmonious, swelling inside my soul.
“God I’ve been wanting to do that for a long time,” Dustin admits as I rest my head on his chest. He lets out an adorable chuckle.
“Me too, trust me.” I burrow deeper into his arms.
“Are you getting better? I hate what you’ve been through. It hurts me too.”
“Yes I am, I promise. I’m getting better thanks to you,” I reply to him. The sun glints down on us. The palm trees sway with the wind. It’s almost like the happiness is too much for me. I’ve been depressed for so long. It’s startling to feel that love again.

“Just tell me when you need me, I’ll be here,” Dustin utters as he kisses my neck. My breath is taken away from me. My mind races and I find myself thinking of Hayden. His forceful movements and his hot lips on mine. Biting my lip, I force Hayden away. He has scarred me for sure, but he can’t take this moment away from me. Dustin’s magnificent eyes fill with concern.

“I’m okay. I’m fine.” I whisper as the sea wind howls. The waves calm, soothing me; the sun shines brighter. I’ve never believed in perfect moments. They just seem so unreal, cheesy even. But now, I know they must be true. Dustin’s arms loosen around me and I scoot next to him. It’s like I can feel my parents here, smiling at me. Gazing into the shimmering ocean water, I finally except that they are gone.

I wake up screaming. Hayden claws at my throat as I gasp for air. Whipping my eyes open, Hayden disappears. The familiar surroundings of my bedroom calm me. Sweat clings to my white shirt.

“Arabella? Are you okay?” Aunt Savannah utters from outside my door.

“Yeah, I think I’m okay.” Lately, Aunt Savannah and I have been straightforward with each other. Lying is not allowed.

“Alright honey. Do you need anything?”

“No,” I mutter under my breath. Dustin swarms in my head and I feel my cheeks warm. All of the sudden, my phone buzzes to life. Reaching to my phone, I see it’s Jess. I hit ignore and jump out of bed. Guilt fills inside me, but I need to get to Dustin. Slipping on a rose red bikini, I search for an t shirt. Satisfied, I put on white shorts and a black v neck. Not bothering to put on makeup, I pull my hair into a high ponytail. My head aches with burden; I can feel Hayden’s arms wrap around my neck.
Eagerness sneaks up on me to see Dustin. My heart goes fanatical. Memories replay of Dustin’s salty lips on mine. The puffy white clouds linger in the grey sky. The sea wind is tenacious, knocking me down. The tang of salt is so strong, it makes my eyes water. Diving under the mossy rocks, Dustin stands near the shore. His black shirt clings to his muscles, making my head swirl. Chaos erupts in my heart at the sight of him. He looks ravishing. Taking into a run, I sprint down the sweltering sand. Dustin’s ocean eyes widen in delight. Crashing into him, the impact leaves me breathless. He wraps his arms around me and I inhale the ocean scent of him.
“Hey I-” Before I can finish my sentence, Dustin crashes his lips on mine, strong and fierce. He tugs me closer then wraps his arms around my back. My heart is boisterous, thumping so loudly I swear Dustin can hear it. Our lips move together on sync. Placing my hand on his chest, my lips tingle against his. The feeling stirring inside me is rapturous. The exhilaration is magnificent, bringing it’s way down to my heart. Breaking away, he kisses my neck. The world swirls as the burning sensation swells inside me. Salt fills my lungs as the ocean waves crash. Wow.. oh wow.
“I love you,” Dustin whispers as he kisses my forehead. The words make my heart soar.
“I love you too,” I whisper back to him. Dustin grins, sending desire shooting through me. Biting my lip, he leans in for another kiss. Suddenly, Dustin’s eyes widen in shock. My blood turns frigid. A booming male voice shouts over the wind. What is going on? Dustin grips my hand so tight, I bite down a scream. My hair whips in eyes as the wind howls. Peering down at me, Dustin’s face twists in fear.
“Run!” He forcefully shouts as he pushes me away. My legs take flight as I race down the sand. Whipping around I see Hayden and Dustin stand by the shore. Hayden?!?! What is Hayden doing here! My mind swirls in alarm, causing me to stop dead in my tracks. The sea wind blows again, knocking me over. The ocean waves clash as Hayden scans my beach. His stormy eyes land on Dustin with such hatred, my breath is taken away. Moving rapidly, he takes Dustin by surprise. Before Dustin can move, Hayden punches him square in the jaw. Dustin lets out a bellow that forms tears in my eyes.
“No!” I shriek. Dustin smacks head first into the sand. My feet refuse to move, I’m frozen in place. Dustin quickly looks up at me. The pain on his face claws at my lungs. His ocean green eyes stare into my soul. Blood drips from his mouth. Tears pour down my eyes as I try to scream. No sound comes out. Dustin! Dustin! Hayden grins as catches sight of me. Drops of red splatter on the sand as Dustin clutches his jaw.
“Run Arabella! Go!” Dustin screeches, his voice strained. Hayden whips around with a snarl. He hollers at Dustin as I dash down the sand. Panting, I sprint. Shudders crawl through my body.
“S***! If you lay a hand on her again, I swear I’ll-” Hayden roars at Dustin as I slip through the mossy rocks. My heart thrashes as I try to catch air. What is he going to do to Dustin? Why would he come here? Tears plummet down my cheeks. My heart is begging me to go back to Dustin. But my feet refuse to stop. Grazing the sand, I rush away from my beach. Biting the inside of my cheek, blood starts to flow. Dreadful minutes pass as I find myself at the main beach. Children frolic in the water as the sharp wind blows. Choking, I sprint down the narrow street. My house comes into sight. Suddenly, droplets of water burst on my skin. Skidding to a stop, I glance up. The sky, grey and dark, releases rain. The mammoth waves crash into the shore with force. Dustin! I need Dustin! Approaching my driveway, the rain bounces off my skin. My tears blend in with the depressing rain.
Seeking shelter, I scurry in the front door. Slamming it behind me, my breaths come uneven. My head twirls with apprehension. I can feel my heart tearing apart. The sight of Hayden punching Dustin at my beach has broken me down. Leaning against the door, tears slip from my eyes. What is Hayden going to do to Dustin? I can’t believe he hurt him. I can’t believe Hayden did that to him. How could he do that? I pray he’s okay. He better be okay, I need him. My sobs bellow in distress.
“Arabella! Are you okay?” Aunt Savannah questions as she runs from the kitchen. Tears blur my vision as Aunt Savannah rubs my back. My sobs turn uncontrollable.
“Shh honey. It’s okay,” Aunt Savannah says with care,”What happened?” My head pangs as more tears collide with the floor. Opening my mouth, I try to speak but nothing comes out. Aunt Savannah seems to notice my lost for words because she leans down and wraps her arms around me. Embracing her, my tears run dry. Their paths scars my cheeks. Slowly, I shove my way out of Aunt Savannah’s arms and rush up the stairs. Thoughts scream in my head like daggers piercing my brain. I can’t take it anymore! I can’t. Aunt Savannah gives me a look of pity as she shakes her head. Darting into my room, the scene of Hayden smacking Dustin replays in my head.
Darting on my bed, I take deep breaths. Gazing out the window, rain plunges from the tedious grey sky. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Plopping down on my pillow, I stare at my aqua blue ceiling. Millions of thoughts swarm in my head but I push them away. Emptiness settles inside me, dragging me down. I just don’t perceive how when I’ve finally found something worth living for, someone that makes butterflies erupt in my stomach and happiness that floods through me, can be taken away so expeditiously. Everything I’ve ever loved has been snatched away from me. My drowsy swollen eyes begin to close. The last thing I see is Dustin’s face, begging me to run.

He’s not here. Why isn't he here? He has to come. He must. I hope he is okay. The sun looms in the bright blue sky. Scanning my beach, there is no sight of Dustin. The peaceful waves crash into the shore as I plop down on the calescent sand. The wuthering wind snatches at my bouncing curls. My strapless orange sundress sticks to my skin with sweat. I picture Dustin’s ocean green eyes. The eyes that make my heart beat so viciously, my head aches. The penetrating sea water connects with my skin, forcing me to shudder. He will come. I know he will come.

Snapping my eyes open, I sit up. Confusion ripples inside me as I peer at the enthralling sunset painted in the sky. Glancing around, I catch no sign of Dustin ever coming. My heart fills with dread. Leaning against the mossy rocks, I brush the grainy sand off my dress. It’s okay. It’s just one day he hasn't come. You’re okay. He’s okay. He has to be okay. The desire to see Dustin overwhelms me. Standing up, the soft breeze caress’ my skin as the waves smoothly collide with the shore. I can smell the scent of salt lingering on my skin. Shuffling to the mossy rocks, I glance back at the ocean. Suddenly, Hayden enters my mind. The fact that Hayden knows about my beach sends shivers up my spine. Slipping under the rocks, I tell myself that I’m not safe here anymore without Dustin.

It’s been a week. Dustin hasn't shown up at my beach once. Worry swells inside me, clouding my head, cutting off my lungs. Sitting on the sand, I waited for him. Tears came to my crystal eyes as I waited under the scorching sun. My heart yearns for him. The desire is so strong it tears at my brain and forces my head to throb. Daggers piece it’s way through me, cutting me open. Brokenness lingers from Dustin’s absence. The concern of Dustin stabs at me every second of the day. The thought of something happening to him sends shudders down my body.

Slipping under the rocks, I tread down the sand. The blistering sun hits the back of my violet v neck shirt. He’s not going to be here. Scanning my beach, I’m correct. He’s not here. I’m alone. Tumbling down, I hit the sand with impact. My heart snaps, sending a shriek escaping from my mouth. Tears cascade from my eyes, burning my skin. Sobs erupt as I curl myself into a ball. The grainy sand finds it’s way into my clothes as I listen to the turbulent waves. My hair sticks to my face as more cries come out.

“Where are you Dustin? Why aren't you here? Please be okay. I need you. I need you so much!” I scream into the howling sea wind. Hoisting myself up, I shake with despair. Trudging up the shore, I duck under the greenish rocks. I find myself sprinting, rapidly passing my surroundings. Catching sight of the main beach, tears flood my eyes as my sobs get more extreme. People stare at me with asperous eyes and empathy painted across their faces. Racing down the narrow street, I spot my white and blue beach house. Breathe Arabella! Just breathe! Approaching my front door, my stomach swirls. Bending down, I dry heave as the sun bathes my body in heat. Everything is gone. I have nothing.

Stumbling through the front door, I pick up the sound of footsteps cantering against the floor. My stomach wrenches as my heart flies out to Dustin. Spinning up the white stairs, I enter my bright room in a daze. A bead of sweat trickles down my neck. Crumbling on my king size bed, I wrap my sun kissed arms around my knees. More tears trickle from my shattered eyes. Screams take control of my mouth. Footsteps dash up the stairs and continue into my room. My aurous wavy hair drapes around me, blocking my vision. How can he be gone? He can't just disappear!

“Arabella? Are you okay?” The voice rings like a bell, cutting off my thoughts. It’s clear and familiar. Peering up, I stare at Jess in the doorway. Her emerald eyes reveal trepidation. Jess’ short red dress billows as she approaches me and sits on the bed. Her curly auburn hair sticks to her face. I catch a tear roll down her faultless cheek. My cries grow as she purses her bright red lips. Dropping my head, I lose air.

“Shh. It’s okay. You're okay. Calm down, it’s gonna be okay.” Rubbing my back, Jess tries to coax me into lifting my head. Clamping my mouth shut, I try to cease the cries.
“Is this about your boyfriend? Did he hurt you? I heard your crying all the way from my house. Talk to me, Ara. You’re really starting to worry me. I’ve missed you so much.” Jess’ voice sends shiver down my spine. Dustin fills in my mind, which causes me to burst. I need Dustin. I can’t this anymore. Screeching, I climb out of Jess’ reach. I bolt to my white dresser and snatch the dusty picture frame. I can make out Jess’ warning cries as I stare at the picture one last time. Letting it go from my grasp, I launch it across my room. Hitting the wall, shards of glass soar as my smiling parents crack and break. Just like I am.

“Arabella why would you do that? You know how much that picture means to you! Just talk to me! Please stop sobbing, I-” Collapsing on my bed, I plug my small ears with my hands. Jess’ words drift away as I listen to my desperate cries. My heart is broken, urging for Dustin. He is my escape from everything that haunts me. The image of Hayden smacking Dustin plays over and over again. It tears into my mind as Jess yells as me from afar.
Gaping at my parents, I see them before they left. My mom stands at the door way as my dad snatches a kiss. Laughing, they both look ravishing in their fancy clothes. They whisper “I love you” to me as they give me a hug. Slipping into the car, they blow me a kiss as they drive away into the night.
“Arabella! Please talk to me. Savannah is going to be here soon. Please just speak. I’m begging you. Please stop crying.” Jess wraps her arms around me as I close my eyes, and picture myself drifting away with Dustin at my beach. My uncontrollable shrieks turn into silent tears. I am breaking, falling down. And there is no one to catch me now.

Pausing at the mossy rocks, my heart begs for me to turn around and run. My light blue t-shirt clings to me with sweat as the sun strikes my skin. Glancing around, my breaths quicken. It’s just my beach. It’s just my beach. Ducking under the rocks, I catch the sound of the waves hitting the shore. The wind grasps at my hair as the aroma of salt burns it’s way into my nose. Peering around, Dustin is not here. Tears swell in my ocean eyes as a cry escapes my mouth. The affliction ignites deep down in my heart, causing me to tumble into the decalescent sand. Shivers make my body tremble.

Dustin Blaine is not coming back for me. He’s gone. Hayden made him leave me. How could he do that? How could someone steal the only thing that actually is worth living for? Steadying myself on a jagged rock, I pull myself from the gritty sand as more tears surge down my freckled cheeks. The wind hollers at me, forcing my head to twinge. Slipping off my white shorts and shirt, the ocean calls for me. My skin itches for the feel of the water. My white bikini sticks to my skin as I make my way down to the water. A tear trickles down my cheek as the ocean water overlaps my feet. The gelid water connects with my skin. The spine chilling coldness makes me shudder.
Everything is taken away. My parents. Dustin. Love. I’m not strong enough to hold on anymore.
Plunging deeper into the water, the tears won't stop gushing. The waves hit my knees as the water numbs my skin. Salt burns its way into my eyes. Peering around me, the sky is a paradisaical light blue. The water hits my waist now. My mind clouds with thoughts. Pain lingers in my heart as I swim deeper. Tremendous waves roll in one after another. Ducking under the water, numbness erupts on my face. My aurous hair follows behind me. My lungs feel as if they are about to burst. Breaking through the water, I gasp for air.
My lungs burn as my body moves automatically through the stentorious sea. Shivers pierce through me, making me wince. Ducking under a mammoth wave, the water flows around me, tugging me different directions. The water releases me as I break through the surface. My tears blend in with the ocean water. Dripping off my skin, they ripple in the water. Once again, I don’t stop swimming. And I don’t look back.
Thoughts swarms in my head like seagulls swarming the resplendent sky. I try to hold on to them, but they slip away from me. The ocean water feels refreshing now as the sun beats down on me. As the waves ripple on, I drive under the water. The water caress my skin as I swim. My mind starts clearing as I listen to the soothing waves. I suddenly find myself swimming deeper and deeper as the waves roll over me. Ocean salt ignites in my sea eyes. Lost in thought, I gaze around. The shore to my beach is far away, so far I have to squint. Panic rises in my head as fear fills into my eyes. The blue sky blazes with a flash of orange. Turning around in the calming water, the waves guide me closer to shore.
Suddenly, a behemothic wave looms over me. Swimming as rapidly as I can, my heart whirls with alarm. My soaking seaweed hair flutters in the strong sea breeze. I need Dustin! I need Dustin! The wave closes in. Crashing down with force, I hold my breath. The ocean swirls me around, forcing me to lose control. I try to swim to the surface, but I’m pinned down by the wave. My lungs combust as air escapes from my mouth. The ocean jumbles me around as I hold on to the little air I have. Screams pierce in my throat; bubbles fly from my mouth. The ocean drags me down as waves pass over me. Everything whirls as the currents suck me in.
I have to get to shore! I have to find Dustin! I need to talk to Jess and Aunt Savannah. This can’t be the end! I need to hold my breath!
Agony erupts in my in my lungs as the water holds me down. Struggling, I kick as hard as I can. But it’s no use, I’ve already run out of air. Forcing my body to relax, I know this is it. The ocean tugs on me, causing me to spin. Abruptly, my head impacts with something sharp. Affliction rips through me as I let out a wail. Bubbles flow from my mouth. The pang makes my vision spotted with black. The tormenting pain rattles my brain. Gritting my teeth, the ache sends shivers running along my back. Suddenly, the water around me turns red. It floats around, like puffy clouds. My eyes burn as I recognize the redness in horror. It’s my blood.....that's my blood! Serious amounts of my blood float around me, forcing me to gag. The red against the blue makes me recoil. The pain of my injury forces my eyes to roll. My stomach twirls as I find myself losing consciousness. Losing the feeling in my body, my mind clicks on.
I hear a voice, ringing like a bell. Jessica Sky laughs as she takes my hand. Grinning, we sing as loud as we can down the ocean shore. My voice mixes with hers in harmony. Happiness swells inside me as we sprint down the shore. Her radiant smile grins at me as she turns and waves goodbye. Winking, she skips away in her angelic yellow dress. The tip of her auburn hair drifts away as she leaves.
Next, I see Aunt Savannah in our merry kitchen. Looking up, she stares at me with so much emotion, I have the desire to cry. Pulling me into a hug, she smiles a smile that sends joyfulness running through me. Patting my back, tears fall from her eyes. Pulling away, she waves goodbye and blows a kiss. She drifts away from my view.
Next, I see Hayden Beck. He shakes his head in sorrow. His stormy eyes show guilt. Pulling me close, he kisses me on the cheek. Lightly. Non-threatening. Waving goodbye, he struts down the ocean sand, drifting away.
Next, I glance at my parents. They welcome me with arms wide open. The crystalline ocean crashes behind us as I leap into their arms. Tears fly from my mom’s crystal eyes. My dad nods as he joins the hug. Enormous smiles form on our faces. I feel the love surrounding us. Forming us into the happy family we once were.
“Welcome Arabella,” They say together as I take their hand. Suddenly, they start to drift away. “We will see you soon honey,” They speak as they fade into the clouds of the beautiful sky.
Finally, I see Dustin and I. His captivating sea green eyes stare at me with affection. Laying on the tepid sand, we gaze out into the forever expanding ocean. I sense his eyes on me as I look out. Grinning I turn to him. His adorable freckles jump out on me. I have the urge to kiss them all. He pauses, then whispers into my ear.
“I love you Arabella.” Before I can reply, he presses his lips to mine. Right away, I know this is a different kind of kiss. One with passion. One with hunger. My heart melts as I give myself to him. The feeling stirring inside me forces me to smile against his salty lips. He pauses again as he smiles against my smile. Dustin presses his hands near my waist as he pulls me closer. Brushing the soft fabric of my sundress, his holds me close to his chest. I pull my hands through his perfect hair. He crashes his lips to mine once again. My tousled hair whips behind me. The ocean wind swirls around us. My heart thumps with all the love I hold for Dustin. The pain subsides as Dustin keeps his lips on mine. Sharing the same air, we look into each other’s eyes.
“I love you more,” I whisper in his ear.


I once said you have to sink before you can float. Even though my body is sinking deeper and deeper beneath the ocean waves, my heart is still floating. It’s floating to Dustin Blaine. It will never stop floating, as long as I never give up. Love and the ocean do go together like pieces of a puzzle. I have lived through it with Dustin. And it is absolutely magical. But now, I am drifting away. Drifting away with love and the ocean by my side. And I won’t give up.......I will never give up.

It’s been two years. Two long years of sorrow, brokenness, desire. I haven’t seen Arabella since Hayden Beck threatened to kill her if I went back to her beach. I haven’t even seen her at school, no matter how hard I looked for her. Since that night, the ache in my heart was so tenacious, I would have panic attacks. Every minute I would miss her. Every little thing made me think of her. There were nights where I would lay in my bed, and ponder about Arabella Collett all night. I would see her delectable smile. The smile that forced my heart to twinge in my chest. I would see her pulchritudinous crystal blue eyes, and her adorable freckles. I would smell her auric coconut hair. I would hear her pure voice ring as she repeats my name. I would see her perfect pink lips. Some nights, I swore I was losing my mind. The pain in my chest would grow and grow.....

Peering ahead of me, I catch sight of the mossy green rocks. My heart pounds so violently, it forces my brain to collide against my skull. Shivers run along my back as I scan around me, watching for Hayden. The vivid blue sky stretches along as the sun hides behind the puffy white clouds. The noise of the ocean forces memories to flare. My feet skim the sandy path as I reach the viridian rocks. Bracing myself against them, the memories take over my mind.

The ocean stretches on forever as the longing in my heart takes my breath away. The urge for Arabella sends my heart racing. The ocean breeze strokes my skin as I wait patiently for her to come. Hearing footsteps gliding across the sand, I turn towards the spiny rocks. Arabella races down the sand as the wind snatches at her curly ponytail. My heart thumps with desire as she crashes into me. Words slip out of her mouth but I smash my lips on hers, cutting her off. Our lips move as I wrap my arms around her back. She delicately presses her hands on my chest as my heart combusts with passion. Pulling my lips from hers, I move to kiss her faultless neck. I can taste the salt on her skin. Arabella lets out a sigh as the howling wind swirls around us. Looking down at her ocean blue eyes, I kiss her freckled forehead.
“I love you,” I whisper as the ocean waves collide with the shore.
“I love you too.” Her angelic voice makes my heart cease. Grinning, Arabella bites her lip. The action forces my mind to burst. Leaning in for another kiss, I see a flicker of a silhouette behind us. My eyes widen as Arabella stares at me with confusion.
“Damn Ara! That was some kiss!” A voice booms over the wind. Clutching Arabella’s hand with force, the wind blows her hair in her face. Her eyes gush with fear.
“Run!” I scream as I push her away from me. Bolting, she takes off into a sprint down the blistering sand. She turns as looks back at me with eyes in wide alarm. Suddenly, Hayden appears in front of me. Swinging his fist, he punches me square in the jaw. The impact causes agony shooting through me. Falling down into the sand, Arabella lets out a shrieking cry. My eyes connect with hers as the pain ignites. Frozen in place, tears cascade down her mesmeric face. Hot blood runs from my face as splatters on the sand.
“Run Arabella! Go!” Taking off into a sprint, she approaches the slippery green rocks. Hayden snarls as he stares down at me with pure hatred.
“S***! If you lay a hand on her again, I swear I’ll kill you.” Arabella is gone, safely behind the rocks. The ache burns as my face turns numb. Hayden’s stormy eyes turn cold as he spits down at me.
“Lay off of her Hayden! Do you get it? She doesn’t want a jerk like you. Leave my girlfriend alone! Or else you're screwed!” I mumble as Hayden lets out a cruel laugh. The noise of the pounding ocean waves makes my head spin with pain. The gritty sand surrounds me in blood.
“Listen to me Dustin. I will kill her If you go anywhere near her, talk to her, or even watch her. I am not stopping till I get what I want. So do her a favor and leave or else she is going to die.” The words sting as I can feel myself fading.
“Go to hell!” I shriek with hatred. Hayden’s face ripples with awe as he kicks my stomach. The air is knocked out of me as I let out a yelp. Blood erupts from my mouth as Hayden bends down to stare at my face. The agony forces my body to shut down.
“Do you get it? I will kill her with my bare hands if I see you anywhere near her. Arabella was mine, and I’m getting her back. Leave. Her. Alone.” Hayden punches my nose as I lay in the sand, defenceless. Black engulfs my vision as Hayden’s orange shirt looms over me.
“Did you hear me!” He screams in my ear.
“Yes,” I utter as blood runs down my body. Everything drifts away as my head thumps down on the sand. The last thing I see is Hayden’s grin as he hits me, knocking me out for good.
My breaths quicken as I find myself pressed against the rocks. My vision clears as I glance around. The aroma of salt floats around me as the ocean wind pushes my hair in my eyes. Right, I’m at her beach. I’m here to see her. Struggling, I try to move my feet but they refuse. My hands fly to the scar on my chin. I can feel it aching, even though it’s been two years since Hayden caused it. More memories come and go that leave me frozen in place. My thoughts swarm in my head as I find myself thinking about Arabella’s beach.

I found this beach a year before Arabella did. I happened to stumble upon it when I was running away from my mom whom, at the time, was a very heavy drinker. She would get so wasted, she would abuse me. The scars and bruises on my body stung so bad; the pain from my mother made me petrified. Being deathly terrified of her, I would run away constantly. One evening I found the beach. And I came every day to escape her. A year passed and I made it my safe haven. In my head, I always thought no one would find it, that this beach would be all mine. But one summer day in June, a family came. I made sure to hide behind the rocks, as I watched the family play and laugh with exuberant smiles on their faces. The jealousy that boiled inside me frightened me. I wanted the beach for myself. And the joyful family made me think of my broken one.

The next day, I came to the beach only to find a girl sitting on the sand. She was sobbing, the desperate cries made my ears burn. Her blonde hair was draped around her as she held herself in a ball. The crying went on for hours as I hid behind the rocks. I wanted to do something for her, but I was too startled. She came the next day crying, the same sobs that broke my heart. Weeks passed, and she would come everyday to the beach. Instead of crying, she would sit and watch the ocean waves collide with the shore, almost as if she was depressed. The desire to talk to her and comfort her overwhelmed me, but I was too shy.
One time, I came to the beach to find her singing. Sneaking behind the mossy rocks, her voice made me shiver. It sounded pure and clear, like an angel. The melody swirled in my head as her voice carried through the sea breeze. The song sounded country. And I never liked country music. But the way she sang it forced my heart to slam in my chest. Her ocean blue eyes were full of passion as her voice rang. Later that day, I tried to find the song she was singing, the one that made my heart stir with amazement.

Months carried on and I still watched her. Her crying stopped, and she would even go in the ocean. I could hear her laugh ring clear as a bell. I could feel myself falling for her, even though we never had a conversation. She never even knew I even existed. But fear stopped me from talking to her, even though she was so close. I memorized every detail of her, and would fantasize going up to her and talking to her. I would imagine her radiant sunny hair blowing in the sea wind as she spoke with the waves crashing behind her. Two years of watching her and falling in love with someone whom I never met, I decided it was time to have a conversation with her.

The day was flawless, with the coruscating blue sky and the sun looming over the beach. I feltt confident. My heart went berserk as she slipped out from the mossy rocks. I could tell something was on her mind; she almost had the depressed look in her glassy eyes. But that didn’t stop me from going up to her. As we talked, I couldn’t stop looking at her. I tried to avert my eyes, but they wouldn’t leave her captivating face. My heart skipped several beats as she said her name. Arabella Collett, the girl who I was in love with. As the conversation bloomed, I felt all the pain from my family drift away, like she was the light in my darkness. Right there, I knew, I would be the light in her darkness.

Week after week we would meet at the beach. Soon, I knew everything Arabella was going through and everything about her. I was falling even more faster for her, I couldn’t stop myself. When I took her out in the ocean, I knew I was saving her from everything she was going through. I could feel her love for me radiating off her skin as we talked on the gritty sand. But, at the same time, she was drowning in pain. I could see it in those faultless eyes. They were begging me to save her from herself. To save herself from the pain she went through from her parents, Hayden, and even from her best friend. She held on so tightly, but only to keep breaking in front of my eyes. She needed me to help her escape. Escape the life she was living. Escape the affliction that was bound deep in her heart. So I did what I did best. Even though she was dying to hear words of encouragement, I didn’t say them. But instead, I made her feel them. I would take her out into the only place that made her sparkle against the darkness of the world. The ocean and I were her only places to escape herself. But little did she know, she was helping me escape the pain that I was going through as well.

I force my feet to move, unfreezing from the past. Ducking under the acuminous rocks, my eyes sting with tears. The sand feels sweltering on my skin as I catch the waves roll into the shore. The ocean sparkles like a million twinkling diamonds as the sun reflects off the water. My grey t-shirt clings to my sticky skin with sweat. The beach looks bigger than I last remembered it, but only because I haven’t been here in a while. The vibrant plants surrounding the beach have grown, completely concealing the beach even more. Rapidly, I scan the beach, looking for Arabella. My dark hair sticks to my forehead as the sun blinds my eyes. Suddenly, I spot a silhouette by the jagged mossy rocks across the beach. My heart ruptures with excitement; my knees feel weak and unsteady.

“Arabella!” Sprinting down the sand, the ocean waves crash loudly in my ears. I apprehend crying, but the waves are too noisy to be sure. Approaching the figure, I rub my dreary eyes. This can’t be right. It has to be Arabella. It has to be. The sobs erupt louder as I find myself staring at the back of someone with long wavy auburn brown hair. Confusion ripples inside me as the figure turns around. Her immense emerald eyes stare at me with impact. Tears trickle down her freckled tan cheeks; her red lips quiver as they open in shock. Her green sundress flutters in the wind, matching her eyes. Behind the girl, is a bunch of himalayan blue poppy flowers propped up against a cross buried in the sand. On the wooden cross, I see words engraved into the wood.
In loving memory of
Arabella Collett
If an anchor of love
is sinking her heart
let it sink into the depths
of the deepest ocean


“Dustin? Is it really you?” The girl asks as she stares up at me with concern and astonishment. Agony rips through my body as I stare at Arabella’s grave. My heart is lead, pushing me down. The weight erupts as my knees dig into the tepid sand. My mind ignites as I try to grasp what is in front of me. Clenching my teeth, I tug at my hair. Each breath burns as I try to breathe in air, air that is not existing. I can hear the distant sobs of the girl as I shove my hands on my ears.

Arabella can’t be dead. She can’t.... She can’t be gone! This can’t be happening. This CAN’T be happening! How could this happen? How can she just be gone in a blink of an eye?!?! God, I love her!

“Dustin breathe. Please just breathe,” She whispers as more tears stream down her cheeks. She kneels beside me, but carefully gives me distance. The noise of the pounding waves force my head to spin. The salt makes me gag as I can feel the first tear drip down my face. Suddenly, tears cascade down my eyes as I bite down a shriek. The pain lingering in my heart blazes. My hands curl into fists as I push my head into the sand and scream. The girl rubs my back as tears scar my cheeks.

“Shhh, it’s okay. It’s Jessica, Arabella’s best friend. Please just let me tell you that she loved you so much Dustin. You could see it in her eyes. The way she talked about you was absolutely passionate. I remember being jealous that she already found the love of her life. But she waited for you everyday. And she cared so much, it took my breath away. But don’t think she is gone. Because she is in your heart, and will be there forever.” Jessica’s words soar in my brain. Her voice sounds like Arabella’s, which makes me cry even harder. My sobs turn uncontrollable as my screams ring in the ocean air. Rubbing my back, I can hear her own cries.

“Jessica, It’s my fault. She wouldn’t have died if I just came back,” I holler into the sand.

“No Dustin. It’s not, please. She died going swimming in the ocean. The wave held her under and she hit her head on a rock. It wasn't you or my ex, Hayden’s fault. She was going to wait there forever for you. She didn’t kill herself. Please listen to me. Ara never gives up.”

My hands start to shake as my whole body shudders. It’s my fault...Its my fault. My eyes string; my body feels desolate. The ocean blares as the waves hit the shore. The sun feels scorching on my skin.

“Can I ask you something?” Jessica mutters as she continuously rubs my back. My tears grow. I feel as if I’m in a black hole of darkness. It’s sucking me in, stealing my soul, and leaving me with nothing.

“W..what?”

“Why did you leave her?” The question turns my blood cold. Fury runs in my veins at the thought of Hayden Beck.

“Hayden threatened to kill her if I ever saw her again,” Clenching my teeth, I can feel my scar ache, “He beat me up, and made me swore not to come back. I did it for her, I... I couldn’t imagine her dead.”

“Dustin I’m so sorry, I-”

“But she’s dead! Can’t you see she’s dead!” More tears flood as they imprint on the sand. Jessica hugs me as her hair touches my face. Our cries mix as the scent of the blue flowers fill in the air. The ocean calls for me, just to get lost and drift away. Slipping something from her green dress, Jessica hands me an yellow envelope.

“It was nice meeting you Dustin. I’m so sorry, words can never express how sorry I am.” Dropping my hand, she gets up from the sand. She gives me a smile as a tear runs down her puffy eyes. Turning away from me, the ocean wind snatches at her redish brown hair as she walks up the shore. Slipping under the rocks, she leaves me alone with Arabella.

The envelope feels like a burden in my hands. I listen to the rhythm of the waves as I try to control my tears. Punching the sand, it runs through my fingers as I try to breathe. Crawling to the cross, tears slowly drip off my face.

“Arabella, I’m here. I’m so sorry I’m late. I’m sorry I didn’t come sooner. It’s all my fault and I will never forgive myself. I know you needed me, and I let you down. I should have never let Hayden stand in my way of seeing you. He threatened to kill you if I came near you. I..I just couldn’t take that risk. But I fell in love with you the day I saw you on the beach. I watched you for years, but I got too nervous to talk to you. When I finally approached you, it was the happiest moment of my life. I was already in love with you before we even met. Ara, I thought about you everyday while I was gone. Our memories would never stop replaying in my head. You were the light in my darkness. You helped me forget the pain that my own family caused upon me. I just wish I could hold you one last time. I will never forget you ever, you are a part in my heart and soul. You will always be there with me. And one day, we will see each other, when my time comes. I love you. I love you Arabella Collett.”

Tears stream down my cheeks as the ache in my heart expands. I feel hollow and empty, like someone sucked out my soul. My thoughts swell as the smell of her flowers bring her back to me. Getting up from the sand, I move towards the damp rocks. Leaning on them, I watch as the ocean waves collides with the shore. The aroma of salt swirls around me as the seagulls squawk in the air. With the yellow envelope in hand, I stride down to where the sea greets the sand. The water sends shivers running up my spine as it connects with my skin. My tears plunge into the sea, rippling the water. Ripping at the envelope, a small piece of wrinkled white paper slides into my hands. Peering down, I embrace the words jumping out at me.
Dear Dustin,
I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it, I will still be loving you then.
- Arabella Collett

Shoving the note in the pocket of my green swim trunks, I gaze at the enthralling ocean. It glitters as the sun beats down on it. I wipe my tears from my tedious eyes as the ocean wind swirls around me. The water numbs my feet; my lifeless body feels deserted. I take in the rhythm of the ocean as the waves overlap my feet. Bending down in the ocean, I close my dreary eyes.
Love is a precious thing. It can dig deep down in your heart and leave you breathless. It can impact everything. Your choices, your life, your purpose. It can save you from drowning in agony. It can save you from yourself. Not only have I learned what it feels like to love, but what it feels like to be loved. She opened my eyes to a whole new world. She made me feel love. Love that ignited in my bones, and made me change and grow into a new person. Before, I was living in darkness. Trapped with fear and the little love I had. But now, I can see the world clearly. Her love made me open my eyes to living in the light. I can see each sunrise and each sunset. I can see the stars in the sky and love floating in the ocean. I will hold on to her love, and never dare to let go. I thank her for giving me the gift of true love. And the love I hold for her is buried deep in her heart. I will cherish our memories and hold on to our love for the rest of my life. I won’t give up on our love, I will never give up.

Opening my eyes, I inhale the salty air. As the ocean waves kiss the shore, the last of my tears tumble down my face. Stepping out of the ocean, I make my way up the grainy sand. Each step suffers as my heart shatters. Reaching the mossy rocks, I look back at the ocean one last time. It’s radiance takes my breath away. I can almost imagine Arabella and I dancing in the ocean waves as we kiss till the sun sets. Slipping under the jagged rocks, the ocean disappears as my heart drifts away to Arabella Collett.
The end



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 4 comments.


on Sep. 26 2013 at 10:04 pm
alexandria17 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
Thank you so much;)

on Sep. 23 2013 at 6:47 pm
Cgundrop4 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A friend is someone who knows all about you, and still love you."

You're the best young wriiter I have ever known! ;) 

on Sep. 13 2013 at 4:15 pm
alexandria17 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
Thank you so much! I'm so glad you got the chance to read it!

Pink♥ said...
on Sep. 13 2013 at 2:06 pm
I really loved this piece! It was really nice!!