A Love That Spands A Lifetime | Teen Ink

A Love That Spands A Lifetime

By SteffyWeffyKins BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
SteffyWeffyKins BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

Live, Laugh, Love

Author's note: I want my writing to give everyone hope that they WILL find the right person for them.

Its been four years. Going through the motions of everyday life. It wasn’t always this way, but ever since Diana left, the world seemed like shattered glass everywhere he went.

The scenery was changing. The wind was picking up and the leaves were turning beautiful shades of orange and red. John was fresh out of college and ready to head out into the world. Nothing could change his optimistic mood.

As he was walking down the familiar street to his parents home, he was secretly hoping to see Diana. Diana. Even saying her name made John have a goofy grin that spread from ear to ear. You see, John and Diana grew up together. They had been inseparable ever since Diana moved across the street from him. Even when they were three, their parents always used to joke around and say how one day they will fall in love. Nobody knew that it was inevitable.

Freshmen year of high school started pretty uneventful. Every day, John and Diana walked together to school as they always did. They ate lunch together with the same group of people, Then they would walk home together, talking about their days. One day, their friends bluntly told them, “ You guys should go out.. You two are always together and we all know that there’s something special between you guys,” John and Diana looked at each other and snickered, acting like that was so untrue but deep down, they both knew it.

“Hey. Umm, Diana.. My mom is forcing me to go to homecoming. Can you please go with me so I wont be a total loser,” John knew that he did sound like a total sissy but, with Diana, he didn’t care. This was the girl who was there in his worst moments, so it felt natural to ask her. “ Of Corse! I cant wait! “Diana replied with such excitement that John started looking forward to this dreaded night.

Homecoming night came faster then either of them realized. As John was waiting for Diana to finish getting ready, the moms were talking about how their babies were growing up and the guys were talking about football. When they all heard Diana walking down the stairs, they all simultaneously looked at her direction. Diana was wearing a strapless black dress with a pink belt that showed off her curves and her long blond hair curled past her shoulder blades . John couldn’t take his eyes off of her. When did his best friend turn this beautiful woman? As the parents took a million pictures, John realized how lucky he was to have this gorgeous girl as his date.

When the couple walked into the Starlight themed dance, John noticed all the guys eyeing Diana. It never really bothered him until tonight. What’s the matter with him tonight? His jealousy was bubbling up inside of him. Apparently Diana noticed because she stepped behind him, hidden from the hungry eyes of teenage boys. Not knowing what else to do, John took Diana’s hand and strode over to the dance floor. “Want to dance, ma lady,” He said with a cheesy British accent while wiggling his eye brows. At that moment, Diana relaxed and started to fully enjoy her self. They danced the night away; not caring about how silly or off beat they were,

W hen the last song ended, John knew that he has in love. “Have you ever though of us being more then friends,” in what he hoped that he hoped was a confident voice. In reality, he was a nervous wreck. Diana looked him in the eye and smiled a smile that put Sandra Bullock’s to shame. Instead of answering him, she leaned over and kissed him. When they both leaned back a few minutes later, they heard a huge Awe coming from behind them. Glancing towards the noise, they see a few of their friends and their two sets of parents. Diana’s dad looks at Johns parents and jokingly says “ Hello family,” and winks at the lovebirds.

The next day, John and Diana went on their first date. It was the opening weekend of the county fair. Walking hand in hand, they strolled around the fair grounds with no direct location. Being with each other was sufficient. John won Diana a stuffed dolphin and they kissed when they were on the top of he Farris Wheel. When it was time to go, they went to Village Inn, where John paid.

Days became weeks, weeks became months, and months turned into a year. John and Sarah were now sophomores and still in love. John knew that he had to do something big. Even though Sarah insisted that he didn’t need to do anything big, John knew better.

On their exact one year anniversary, John picked Diana from her house. Hwouldn't’t tell her where they were heading because he wanted it to be a surprise. As they walked towards their school, Diana’s confused face turned into a surprised one as she saw what was in front of her. There was a picnic set up right in front of the gymnasium doors. “This is where our love story started. When I saw you in that black dress, I knew that I was in love with you. In that moment, you became more then my best friend, you became my other half. I love you babe, happy anniversary.. “ When he finished, Diana started crying and kissed him with all the passion that she could muster. That was the sweetest thing that John has ever done for her.

A week later, they had their first fight. John was at his locker when a girl came up to him. He was starting to get uncomfortable because she was wearing really revealing clothes. He tried to look away or at least look her in the eyes, but as a 16 year old guy, it was impossible. Before he realized what was going on, the mystery girl kissed him. He tried to push her away, but it was too late. Diana watched them from across the hallway. When she couldn’t take it anymore, she stormed to where they were. “HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME! I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME! YOU’RE A CHEATING JERK!” she screamed while causing a scean. John tried to calm her down and explain the situation, but it was no use. Diana slapped him as hard as she could across his face and ran away.

John couldn’t believe it. The girl of his dreams thought that he was a cheater. He tried to talk to her, but she wouldn’t have it. For a week, they both moped around. Their grades slipping and slipping. Finally, the principle called them both to her office. When they both aarrived, they didn’t see the principle, only a huge TV with what looked like a security camera showing John and the girl at his locker. Diana looked everywhere but at the TV or at John. All of a sudden the tape played. As Diana watched the tape, she felt like the jerk. She didn’t and wouldn’t listen to John. When she finally had the courage to look at him, she was surprised to see him looking at her with the same look that she probably had. Without needing to say a word, they stood up and hugged the day lights out of each other. “Now we have a new problem, we need to get our grades up before we get our parents wraths,” John half joked.

Two years later, they are more in love then ever. They went through some petty fights but they came out even stronger. They were now seniors; living life with no worries and enjoying being together. Bur there was a nagging feeling inside both of their heads. Diana got a scholarship to a university in London, which was 3,986 miles away from his local university. The school year went by faster then they wanted it to. Senior night, Prom, graduation, and last day of high school went together like a photo album filled with memories.

The summer was spread out in front of them. They spent every waking moment together.; going on road trips and going to the beach. On the last week before Diana’s departure, they were laying in the back of Johns beat of truck, star gazing and enjoying the closeness of each other. “What’s going to happen when I leave, “ Diana asked in a hoarse whisper, trying not to ruin these last few moments by crying. “ I don’t know, Babe, we have to take it by ear. Its only four years and when you come back, we will marry.” John replied as he pulled a ring from his front pocket. Diana couldn’t hold it any longer, but instead of sad tears, they were happy tears because she knew that he would keep his promise.

The day had arrived. The day that neither of them was looking forward to. “ The plane headed to London is leaving in five minutes, everyone on this plane, please board now,” Diana’s friends and family already said goodbye the day before because they all knew that John needed to have the last minute with her before she left. Giving her a final kiss, John had to physically stop himself from stopping her. He knew that if he tried to stop her, she wouldn’t go and he would feel even worse if he knew that he was the cause of her skipping this one in a lifetime opportunity.

For a little while, they talked everyday. Whether it was through texting, email, or skype, they talked whenever they could. But after awhile, it became hard. They both became involved in campus life and school work that sometimes they didn’t talk for weeks on end. Soon they realized that it wasn’t going to work. John got a text from Diana and he knew that it was coming. “Babe, I’m so sorry that I am doing this over text, but I cant do this anymore. Maybe one day when I come back, we can be together again. I love you and always will. This is the hardest thing that I have ever done. Bye,”

Time went by. College was more then anyone described it. John was having the time of his life. Secretly, he was counting down the days till graduation. Diana was also enjoying herself, but she really missed home, especially John. They both tried going out with different people, but the connection and emotional aspects weren’t there. Valentines day and their anniversary were the worst days. It was like a hole was dug deep in their hearts and they couldn’t do anything about it. Those miles were the curse in their lives.

Finally, the final exams were finished and it was time to graduate. John felt bittersweet. He had a lot of fun at college and he was really going to miss all of his friends that he met. On the positive side, only approximately three more months until Diana comes back.

To pass time, John gets a job as a life guard at a local YMCA. He hoped to get some money so he could buy Diana the engagement ring that he promised her three years ago. In just two months, John gets enough money to buy the ring that he’s been looking at. Thank goodness for overtime!

As he walks that familiar street of his parents home, he prays that Diana is there. When he sees her newly cut blond hair, he cant help but scream her name. As she turns around, she runs full speed toward him. Luckily he caught her mid air and they kissed. All those lonely nights and single valentines days were forgotten. When he reluctantly put her down, he got down on one knee. “Diana, these past four years were pure torture. Not seeing your face or being able to touch you was killing me from the inside out. I have realized that I cant live without you. I don’t want to have to experience that kind of pain again. Will you marry me?”

Diana couldn’t contain her excitement. “YES,” she screamed over and over. In the background, their parents are crying too. Seeing and hearing about the pain that the separation caused their children was tough. Now, they are back together and getting married.

After months of planning, the wedding day has finally arrived. John was wearing a traditional black suit and was standing anxiously in the front of the church. As the bridesmaids all walked down the aisle and the accordion started playing the brides song, Diana appeared. She was wearing a strapless wedding gown that flowed around her feet.
Her veil couldn’t hide the bright smile on her face. Even though everyone was looking at her, she was looking at him. It was the same look that he had o\when he saw her in her freshman homecoming dress all those years ago.

When it was time to say the vows, everyone was crying. They were heartfelt and meaningful. Before the preacher could finish his “ You may kiss your bride.” John leaned down and dipped his wife and planted a wet kiss on her lips. Everyone clapped and cheered as John carried Diana bridal style out of the church.

The reception was just as beautiful. Everyone was dancing and having a great time. John and Diana’s first dance was with the song “Amazed by Lonstar” and the bride danced with her father to “I Loved Her First by Heartland,”

When it was time for the bride and groom to leave, everyone lined up with bubble bottles in their hands. With bubbles blowing on them, they headed towards Johns truck and drive away to their honeymoon.