Dance With Me | Teen Ink

Dance With Me

By VivaciousWriter1 GOLD, Highland Park, New Jersey
VivaciousWriter1 GOLD, Highland Park, New Jersey

I'm beautiful in my way, 'cuz God makes no mistakes/I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way!" ~Lady Gaga, "Born This Way"

Author's note: Originally, Stella's mother wasn't sick with cancer. The storyline was that Stella went into a coma while in Greece and she was sent to America for surgery where she met Dean.

I am a village girl. Plain. Dark-haired and blue-eyed. My name feels like dust between my lips. Overused and worn out. But it sticks to me like honey.
My village sits on an island known as Crete. During the day, the small population works in the fields to collect wheat for bread. I tend to the animals with my brothers sometimes, if they allow me. The blazing sun overhead often leaves my skin red and my eyes fazed. Often, I will stay with Mama in the kitchen to knead dough and cook. My sisters, Cassandra and Aphrodite would sew our clothes for us.
Passersby might spare my family cloth and my sisters would make dresses for us and trousers for our brothers. We do not have shoes, so spots form on our feet from walking barefoot outside. Our underwear is made from spare cloth and tied around our waists with string. Those are the only clothes we have.
Inside of our cottage, we have three rooms: the kitchen, a small living room, and a bedroom where we all sleep together. In the kitchen, we have a small cupboard with broken dishes, a sink, and an oven. There is no running water, any heat, or electricity.
If we are lucky, we can sneak away from our work and go down to the small beach near our village. There, we can wash our hands and feet, or play in the water until we are caught.
At night, when everyone else is sleeping, I leave the cottage and visit the olive tree that grows thick and wild beside our home. I will pick an olive and let the salty bitterness cover my tongue.
When the milky moonlight glows like a spotlight above my head, I dance. I dance all of my worries away. And just before the sun comes out, I sneak back into the bedroom. No one in my family will ever know.
~

I knead dough in the heat of our kitchen, tears of sweat forming on my forehead. Adjusting the cloth wound tightly around my frizzy black curls, I wipe the sweat away with the back of my hand. Cassandra comes into the room with her schoolbooks. When I was little, I wanted to go to school with the other girls and learn. But after I saw Cassandra’s homework, I never asked again and instead helped with the cooking.
“I am going to school now,” Cassandra tells me.
“Okay. I will see you later,” I reply and she leaves.

Cassandra is the most beautiful of my sisters. She has long waves of light brown hair and coffee-colored eyes. Me and my other sisters would braid her hair for hours until Mama would tell us we had to go to bed. All of the boys want her and she is to be married soon.
Unlike Cassandra, I am short and more round. My black, curly hair is like a jungle. Normally, I tie my hair down with a cloth or braid it until it stretches far down my back. The only thing I ever liked about myself was my blue eyes. Papa says they are like the Aegean Sea when the sun sparkles upon the water. Even though I have pretty eyes, no boy has asked me to dance. I am not planning on falling in love though. Yet.
Aphrodite helps me fix the seams of my dress after I tear the fabric, tripping on a rock while looking for seashells for my collection. She cleans my scratched knee with a damp cloth. The blood crusts over. For the next hour, I amuse myself by picking at my scab.
My brothers, George and Basilios come in later from plowing wheat. George is strong and very manly; he used to go to school until he turned eighteen. Now, he helps Papa in the fields every day. Basilios is a few years older than me and he always makes me laugh. I love my brothers a lot, and I spend most of time with them, working and cooking. They do not think that just because I am a girl, I cannot do what they do. Whenever I come home with scratches on my legs or dirt on my face, Mama asks me what I was doing this time.
“Nothing,” I would say. “I was just helping George and Basilios.”
“You must be more careful, Stella. I do not know what I would do if you got hurt very badly. Now go clean yourself up before we eat,” she would answer.
“Do not worry, Mama,” George says sometimes. “She is in our care.”
“I do not know why that frightens me,” she will joke, making George laugh and ease his tired eyes.
Mama and I boil some potatoes on the stovetop, and I set a loaf of bread on the table. Cassandra comes in from the bedroom where she does her homework when school finishes. She teaches me how to read when she has time. I know how to spell my name and read simple sentences, but I am lazy and do not want to learn sometimes so I do not study as much. Cassandra is very smart and she has patience with me, and I hope I can be like her one day.
After she comes to the table, we sit down and say a prayer. We are quiet as we normally are during meals. We eat with small appetites and make small comments about our days. Cassandra is learning about history in school. Today, she learned of America, where everyone dreams of going one day. There is a very tall monument of a green lady holding up a torch called “Lady Liberty.” She greets immigrants who come from all over the world. I never want to go to America.

Mama leaves before we finish our meal, claiming she is exhausted and needs to lie down from the heat. I worry about her sometimes. She is always complaining about her head aching and her bones feeling week. Once we finish eating, Papa goes to the bedroom to talk with Mama and comfort her. Me and Cassandra soak the dishes in the bucket of water George brought in earlier. I sit on the cold, stone floor while scrubbing the grease away with my finger tips. My brothers slip away with Aphrodite from the kitchen to go outside to count the stars.
“Cassandra?” I say after they are gone.
“Hm?” she says, glancing over at me and laying a clean dish down.
“What are you going to wear on your wedding day?” I ask suddenly.
Cassandra dunks another dish into the bucket. I notice as she looks down at her long, creamy dress that has been stained several times. It is the only dress she owns. Her bottom lip quivers, and I feel bad for asking.
“I am sorry,” I mumble and return to scrape the grease away from my plate.
“It is fine,” Cassandra sighs. “I knew we would not have a big wedding, but Demetri said he could help pay for the dress when the time comes. His family has more money, so they want to make our wedding as special as possible.”
“That is nice. What is it like being in love?” I say. Since I am the youngest of my sisters, I like asking them hard questions. Especially Cassandra because she is the oldest and smartest.

“It is beautiful,” she answers plainly. “Demetri and I were best friends. He loved me and I loved him.”
“And now you are engaged . . . it seems too simple,” I comment.
“You will understand when you get older,” she smiles.
By then, we have cleaned all of the dishes and we decide to join our siblings outside. While we count the glittering stars one by one in the deep blue sky, I try to imagine what it is like to be in love. But I cannot.

In the library, I hide behind the heavy bookshelves of the biography section during lunch hour. My mind wonders while I pretend to be working on my research project for World History. I begin to doodle a caricature of the grumpy librarian that sits at the front desk, flipping through books and stamping them with labels then tossing them carelessly on a rusting metal cart. I finish the cartoon and slam my notebook shut, before pushing my uncomfortable chair away from the desk. Glancing at the wall clock, I notice I only have ten minutes before sixth block. Maybe I should eat the apple that’s rotting away in my paper lunch bag. I contemplate this and then decide to hide the apple under Principal Brown’s car after school.

When the phone rings at the front desk, the grumpy librarian answers in a irritated voice: “Hello?”

She rolls her eyes at something the person on the other end says.

“Well, I’ll make sure you get your copies of Gone with the Wind for ninth grade honors,” the librarian says with a forced smile. “Mhm. Yeah. Goodbye.”

She slams the phone down and mutters something under her breath before leaving the desk. When she disappears behind a door of the section further back in the library, I check to see if anyone else is in the library. A few freshmen with their heads down on the opposite side of the room and some sophomores with nothing better to do than text and whisper perverted jokes under their breaths, and I reach inside of my book bag for a bottle of spray paint. Quickly, I spray paint the word “Haters” on the blank wall in front of the folding chairs. Before the librarian comes back, I slip the bottle back in my bag and leave the library just as the bell buzzes.

My heart is pounding as I make my way to World History on the third floor. Chase runs up to me and slaps my shoulder.

“Whoa man. Where you heading?” he says. “You look like you just broke the law.”

“I did,” I reply, still moving rapidly down the bustling hall.

“What’d you do?” he asks.

“I used the spray paint bottle we shoplifted from the supplies store yesterday. That librarian is gonna have a fit when she sees what I did to her wall,” I say.

“Sick, yo,” Chase says, giving me a high five and nodding approval.

I stop at my locker and grab my notebook and walk into World History as the late bell rings. Pretty normal for me. The Greeks are always late anyway.

“Glad you could join us, Mr. Giannopoulos,” Ms. Honeywell says as I take a seat towards the back of the classroom.

“Pleasure is all mine,” I say sarcastically. The class snickers as Ms. Honeywell rolls her eyes and turns to write something useless about some war involving some king and some uncivilized nation on the whiteboard.

During class, I don’t pay attention and when we have to hand in our papers as the bell rings for last block, I try to slip out of the room unnoticed.

“Mr. Giannopoulos?” Ms. Honeywell calls out, and I turn around, giving her an innocent, questioning face. “Could you stay for just a moment after class?”

“Sure, Ms. H,” I say and know that I’m busted.

When the rest of the class files out of the room, Ms. Honeywell stands up and asks:

“Where is your final assignment?”

“I don’t know,” I mumble, looking at the ground. I notice Ms. Honeywell’s cheap high heels, decorated with large fake flowers at the toes.

“The final assignment is worth twenty-five percent of your grade for this marking period,” she says, matter-a-fact.

“And . . .?” I say, looking up at her with a bored expression.

“And if you haven’t completed the assignment, I will have to fail you.”

I contemplate this. It’s not like my parents are going to see my report card. They’re too busy working to care about how I’m doing in school.

“Dean,” Ms. Honeywell begins, “I know you are a very smart young man and if you’re willing to make up the assignment, I’ll give you the extra time. But I will have to give you one full grade lower for lateness.”

“Whatever, Ms. H,” I say and make my way out the door.

“Oh, and Dean?”

“Yeah?” I say as I turn around to face her.

“Good luck,” she says with a smirk.
~

Somewhere, in the middle of bio, the loudspeaker sounds.

“Please pardon the interruption, but would Dean Giannopoulos report to the main office. Dean Giannopoulos report the main office immediately. Thank you.”

Gladly, I jump out of my seat, snatch the post-it note from Mr. Gonzalez and head downstairs to the main office.

“Welcome, Mr. Giannopoulos,” Principal Brown says as I sit down in front of her desk.

“What’s up?” I say nonchalantly.

Principal Brown sighs before folding her hands neatly on her desk.

“I was told that when Mrs. Cunningham, the librarian, returned to her desk, she noticed the word “Haters” written in capital letters in a bold red spray paint on the wall by the biography section. She told me that you were the only one in that section of the library at the time and when she noticed the vandalized property, you had disappeared.”

I don’t say anything. I play with bobble head version of Tom Cruise on her desk. She places her hand on top of the bobble head and asks me to pay attention.

“Okay, so I did it,” I finally reply. “What’s the consequence? OSS?”

Principal Brown laughs, half-heartedly and shakes her head.

“You’re not getting out of it that easy,” she explains. “You will be in detention for two weeks and you will help paint the wall in the library. Additionally, you’ll participate in a wonderful program at our school’s library called “Book Buddies.” You will read to kindergartners and first graders for an hour every Friday for a month. Is that clear?”

“Crystal,” I say. “Can I leave now?”

“Sure,” Principal Brown replies. “But remember you have early morning detention starting tomorrow. Have a nice day.”

“Whatever.”

When we’re let out of homeroom, Chase comes up to me.

“Dude, I heard you got busted,” he says.

“Yep. Big time. Have detention for two weeks. I gotta paint over the wall in the library and Principal B is making me read to little kids for the stupid “Book Buddies” program.”

Chase snorts under his breath. “Have fun.”

“Thanks a lot,” I growl. I unlock my bike from the rack and start walking it to the front of the school building. I hop on my bike wheel up the sidewalk, with Chase beside me.

“I gotta go, man. I have to pick up my sister,” I say as I check my watch.

“Catch you later,” Chase says, and I ride away onto Main Street.

Soon, I’m in front of the elementary school. Katina walks up to me before notifying her teacher that I’m here.

“Hi, Dean,” she says happily. “How was school?”

“Great,” I lie. “How was your day?”

“Awesome! Ms. Cole said I got the best grade out of everyone in the class on our test last week,” she exclaims, hopping on the handlebars of my bike.

I look over at Katina’s teacher as she gives me a worried glance before waving goodbye to Katina.

“That’s wonderful,” I say, forcing a smile.

We go to Rite Aid on our way home. As Katina looks at coloring books, I slip a few Rolling Stone magazines into my bag. When we leave the store, I almost feel guilty. But it passes.

thank u so much! :)

SarahHarmon GOLD, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

"I have learned that people will forget what you did, people will forget what you said, but people will never forget how you made them feel." ~Maya Angelou

Sooo good! 

JustAnotherDay. BRONZE, Andover, Ohio

Stephen Fry - There are many people out there that will tell you that "you can't". What you've got to do is turn around and say, "watch me."

Keep it up, its not bad.