Wish Gone Wrong | Teen Ink

Wish Gone Wrong

By AnonymouslyAnonymous BRONZE, Nassau, Other
AnonymouslyAnonymous BRONZE, Nassau, Other

Can I tell you a secret? Yeah Sure. It is Never a secret if you tell someone.

Author's note: This was kind of a spur of the moment. I just was lying in bed when this idea came to me. So I got my Blackberry and started typing till it was no tomorrow. I ended up with five chapters, no description, no plot but I just thought: "Wow, what a great idea." So I just couldn't let it go. It kind of relate to me in some ways. I always used to make wishes with dandelions even shepherd needles. Call me crazy! I always thought that wishes/dreams came true if you only believed. I am a DREAMER/WISHER!

I hope you Enjoy! Feel free to comment!

At 9 years old
I want to be prettier.
Blows.
I want to be more outgoing
Blows
I wish my crush would just fall in love with me.
Blows
I just want to be set free
Blows.
9 years later
Just imagine one freakish tall girl squatting behind a boulder in the middle of a field, surrounded by dandelions. Of course that freakish large girl was me hiding from my mother who had finally found where I was.
"Come on Kelton, it’s time for dinner. You can't hide behind that boulder all day." My mother said in her thick Scottish brogue. I could imagine her rolling her eyes with her arms folded across her chest totally annoyed of me. Trust me mom, the feeling is mutual.
I let out a ragged sigh dumping myself on the ground causing a flurry of white satiny dandelions to fly in the air.
"I'm coming ma," I groaned totally annoyed.
I picked up a lone dandelion looking at it with deep concentration.
"Why can't they just leave me in peace?" Then I blew on it causing it to flutter away in the breeze.
Completely irritated from being disrupted from my alone time I marched into the dining hall with a deep scowl etched on my face. My father raised a brow at me whiles my mother just smirks.
Yeah mom, don't you just love my irritation.
"Stop being so melodramatic dear," she rolled her eyes.
I sighed, dumping myself into the chair on my mother's left. Putting a smile on my face, her face softened and she grabbed my hand giving it a little squeeze. "Much better."
I groaned inwardly trying to hide the tell tale signs of my discomfort.
My father cleared his throat. He gave us both a questioning look.
I opened my mouth but my mother got out before I did, “It’s a girl thing."
My father sobered and didn't press in further.
I looked at my mother and she gave me a small smile and a wink.
Just then my grandmother and sister bustled in the room both carrying the food which we were ready to consume. Cassidy, my little sister, looked flush from the heat of the kitchen that made her look even more beautiful. Then a span of jealous soared through me. Whiles her hair bellowed around her framing her heart shaped face, mines hang limply down my shoulders. Cassidy was curvy and had filled out in places. I, on the other hand was reed thin and any amount of food I ate I would never gain any weight, which was a blessing and a curse.
"Sorry, we put the casserole in the oven to late and the potatoes were almost over boiled." My grandmother apologizes.
Cassidy rolled her eyes a common trait she got from our mother, "Grandma its fine." Placing the dish with roast beef in the center of the table she added, "Enjoy everyone, I'm sure it is edible."
Everyone at the table chuckled and dug into the food.

After dinner I just couldn't wait to get away. A little lantern in my hand and a sweater I headed on back to the field. I perched the lantern on the boulder sitting with my back resting onto its cool hard surface my hands tucked underneath my knees. I sat there just listening to the wind ruffle the dandelions in the field. It was calming, relaxing. Picking up a dandelion I looked at intently, the faint light from the lantern was enough for me to see just a few feet away from me. I twirl the small little flower between my fingers watching it spin as if it was most fascinating thing I've ever seen. With one gust of breath that flowed from my lungs the flower disappeared only leaving the stem. Picking up another dandelion I waste no time by looking at it. I closed my eyes tightly cross my fingers making the wish I've only done once when I was nine years old. I blow onto the flower then opened my eyes to see no remnants of a dandelion in my hands, not even the stem.
I huffed, blowing a strand of hair out of my face. I got up, dusted myself off and grabbed the lantern.
"Why do I waste my time doing this anyway?" I muttered before heading back to the house.

Enjoy!

Chapter 1

"You should totally go with that blue shirt,"
I yelped in surprise when I hear my sister’s voice. I turn from the mirror to glare at her. "Don't do that," I hissed.
She held up her hands. I turn back towards the mirror holding the two blouses up to me. I was leaning on to the blue on but the black was one of my favorites. So black it was. I tugged on the black shirt and went to my closet to get my black Converse.
I heard my sister sighed and I just shrugged tugging on the sneakers.
"Are you ready to go?" I asked her as I packed my bag for school.
She sighed again, "Yeah."
I grabbed my keys on my way out the door and headed to my car. Throwing my satchel in to the back seat, pulling on my seat belt, I then froze with my hand on the wheel thinking I had forgotten something.
"What's wrong?" Cassidy looked at me concerned. Probably wondering why I haven't started the car yet. I am quite positive that I am forgetting something. Giving one last thought and it still hasn't come to me I shrugged and put the car in reverse, backing out of the driveway.
We pulled up at the school quickly trying to find a good parking space before someone else invades them. Cassidy jumped out the car excitedly after spotting a group of her friends. She peered through the window, "don't forget it’s your time with dinner."
I groaned and watched as she ran to her friends who embraced her with hugs. Grabbing my dilapidated satchel from the back seat I walked to homeroom not bothering to stop to my locker knowing that I already had all the books that I needed.
I sat in the empty classroom wrapped into the last book into the Hunger Games series, looking so forward to the movie when a screech from a chair being dragged across the floor caused me to cringe.
I looked up at the intruder not expecting to see Dylan. My breath caught in my throat and I had to mentally pinch myself to see if I was dreaming.
"So, why are you here all alone," he started slowly.
His slow drawl caused my heart rate to speed up and at any minute now I would simply die.
I couldn't find my words. Who could possibly speak if the hottest guy in school wanted to talk to you? Talk to me- little unattractive me who could totally spazz out any second now.
I stared at him wide eyed. Can't you blame a girl, this is a once in a lifetime thing when the loner- slash- nerd will ever engage with such decadence in real life. So what do she do, oh she stares.
He let out a chuckle that rumbled deep from his chest.
"I guess you’re speechless. Well I'm Dylan Ford you must be new?" His hand was stretched out for me to shake.
New? We've been in the same class since third grade. My brows furrowed and I held his hand shaking it.
"I'm not new," I said shakily, "Kelton Briers."
Dylan scrunched up his nose an action I found undeniably cute, "I'm sorry. Briers, you say?" I nodded. He put on a thoughtful face, clipping his fingers, "let me guess you’re related to Cassidy."
I suppressed the groan that was ready to disperse from my lips. You can be in the class with the guy for nine years but he only recognizes your younger sister. What have I done to you karma?
I gave him smile, trying so hard to hide my irritation.
His face softened and then a pink tint fleeted across his cheek. Was he embarrassed?
Dylan Ford embarrass, hardly believable.
"Um," he looked away sheepishly scratching behind his head, "can you like help me with English, I mean it can that is. I mean you don't have to if you don't want. I'm not forcing you if you don't have to." English, huh? I wasn't expecting this. Who am I kidding? I would have thought he was going to ask me on a date. Of course I was way over my head.
I pity myself.
"Sure," I chirped without even thinking. A girl could only dream right. Who would have thought that the hottest guy in school probably the whole county, note the hyperbole, and was asking me to be his tutor? Lame, I know right. I have just been denoted on the social ladder now behind the janitor. Wait I just caught myself, if he didn't know who I was why is he asking me to be his tutor?

Enjoy!

Chapter 2

My only friend in the whole entire world, despite all the time we had fought and bad mouthed each other will forever be Matthew Pierce, also known as Matty. Yes, Matty the fast talking, tongue lashing brainy who have stolen my cheeseburger on the first day back in seventh grade. He received a black eye for that. Of course I didn't get away scot free though, I was served with two weeks detention and I had to carry his books to all his classes. What a terrible two weeks.
Eventually after a long month of expressing our hatred towards each other we became best friend. Correction we became separable Siamese twins.
As Matty was outgoing and all together humorous, I was adventurous and liked to distance myself from certain people not like the attention that comes with being socialable.
Well Matty wasn't the type to just ditch me which caused people to be suspicious. Whatever! We proved them wrong anyway by being friends for so long people just gave up on the prospect of us being in a relationship.
Now pushing the introduction of Matty out of the way, I was looking for said friend to tell him about my ordeal in homeroom this morning. Matty was also known for his find-me-if-you-can act that I found really annoying. Seeing the person of my conquest I ran up to him diving head first into his back toppling us both over. I laughed as we both laid sprawled across the floor me on top of him.
"Get off of me you over height leprechaun," I heard a muffled growled from Matty.
I spoke really loud my hand cupped by my ears as I lean in to hear him," I'm sorry I cannot hear you. How's the weather down there?"
He started to get up and I yelp in surprise quickly wrapping my legs around his waist and holding onto his shoulder.
"Thanks Matty I always wanted a piggy back ride." I chuckled. He was standing up now with me clutching onto his back like a baby monkey.
"Get off you orangutan."He let out another growl; reading my mind.
I swat him on his back. "Now that's no way to talk to your friend," I chided in a haughty English voice.
He huffed and mumbled something under his breath.
I slid off his back and landed softly on the floor. I picked up his books and handed them to him. His face still contorted with anger.
I gave him a wide goofy grin and his face softens up a bit.
"I knew you can't stay mad at me for long," I said punching his arm.
He shot me a menacing look and I shrugged fixing my satchel onto my shoulder. I didn't know that we had gathered so much attention from our little excitement until I heard the giggles and soft murmuring. I shrugged them off, which was a first. What I had to tell Matty was way more important than my embarrassment.
I cupped his face in my hands pulling his face just mere inches from mines, "Matthew Bryson Pierce," I said in my most dramatic voice as he looked at me wide eye. "I would like you to do the honor of escorting me to lunch today."
Matty sobered up his eyes hooded as his mouth turned into a frown.
"Gosh Kel, I thought you had something important to say."
I looked at him wide eye with innocence, "I do. I just don't have time to. I'll tell you at lunch." And as I let go his face and ran in the direction of my next class the bell rang and I heard Matty groaned as I left him behind.
I was practically bouncing in my seat waiting for the bell to ring for lunch. I looked at the clock praying for the two minutes to hurry pass by. I felt the unexpected tap on my shoulder. I turned around slowly one brow arched looking at the person who touched me. I looked to find Amanda also known as the mouse holding a small piece of folded paper. She jutted the paper towards me without saying a word. I took the paper from her slowly turning around. I opened in and quickly closed it, looking around the room to see where it had come from.
I turned to Amanda, “Who gave you this?" I whispered.
She pointed at the person behind her, which was a girl. "Is this a sick joke, “I hissed? I gave her a glare and she just bit her lips and averted her eyes.
"I'm not gay!" I yelled right when the bell rang. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me all brows raised.
I felt the heat rising to my cheeks and I grabbed my books, stuffed them in my bag and scurried out of there before I embarrassed myself anymore. Discarding the note in the disposable disgusted with the person who sent it, I headed to the cafeteria eager to meet up with Matty.
Spotting the big meat head already on the line with two trays in his hand I walked to him slapping his back. He almost dropped his load sputtering as if I hit him that hard. I grabbed a tray and stepped in front of him.
"Gosh, you're so abusive." He whined.
I stuck my tongue at him down grading my maturity. "Like you wouldn't do the same."
"I never will," he muttered under his breath but I shrugged it off. I grabbed a carton of milk, P-B& J sandwich and a slice of cheese pizza. Not that I should be concern of my weight since I hardly ever gain any.
"Kel you're such a slob." Matty chuckled as he grabbed two slice of pizza, a ham and cheese sandwich and some spaghetti.
"Way to talk. Besides you're the only one complaining." I retorted, sticking my nose in the air and marching to our regular table. He shook his head and chuckle.
I dug into my food immediately. I wasn't aware how hungry I was until now and when you're hungry everything taste like heaven.
"Slow down, it’s not going anyway." Matty teased.
I gave him a sheepish smile and swallowed the bit of food in my mouth.
Matty turned all serious all of a sudden, “so what did you want to tell me?"
I took a gulp of my milk, wiped off my mouth and then let out in one breath, "Dylan Ford asked me to be his tutor but first he didn't know who I was until I told him my last name then he said he needed tutor so I agreed."
I sucked in some air and breathe once again.
His face was blank, "Okay?"
I kicked him in the shin under the table and he yelped. Way to be a good friend!
"What was that for?" Matty whined.
"Don't do that it’s not becoming." He raised a brow at me.
"Matty you're not being a good friend," I sighed.
"What do you want me to do gush about how cute he is or-or what you should wear. Gosh I'm not some pansy."
I pouted something I don't normally do. Matty face softened. "Okay, if you want my input. I think it’s stupid that he didn't know who you were even though you guys have practically been in the same class since preschool"
"Third grade," I interrupted.
"Whatever! The fact is that you've been pining after the guy since forever"
"I got over that in the ninth grade," I interrupted once more.
"Sure." Shaking his bangs out his eyes he continued. "I think that you shouldn't tutor him."
I gave him a quizzical look. He just shrugged.
"Um, why not?"
He looked at me incredulously, “do you ever pay attention in class?"
I looked at Matty like he was dumb. What kind of question was that? Of course I paid attention in class I have the top grade.
"Is that even a question?" I flicked his nose. He grabbed my wrist as he winced.
"Well, Dylan has one of the top grades."
I looked at him a little confused. "So?"
He looked at me wide eye. “Obviously you haven't got it. Are you sure you're our future valedictorian?"
I flicked Matty's nose again. He grimaced and scolded me.
"Why would he need you to tutor him if his grade is almost as high as yours?"
Then he flicked my nose which caused me to yelp in pain. That just put a notched into my stupidity.
Thanks Matty you always bring out the best in me.