This isn't Just an Experiment | Teen Ink

This isn't Just an Experiment

July 26, 2012
By ThatCometKid001 SILVER, Golden, Colorado
More by this author
ThatCometKid001 SILVER, Golden, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: This is just the first chapter of my story. The title is not final. I'm looking for feedback and opinions. I'll post new chapters if this story becomes popular enough. Critiques welcome.

The author's comments:
This is just the first Chapter. If this gets enough positive reviews, I'll post more.

1

I woke up in a sweat, from a dead sleep, my heart beating uncontrollably. I rolled over in the dark and checked the clock, which read 2:05 exactly, as it had been the every night since the beginning of the month when I awoke for no apparent reason. Once again, I sighed and stood up, looking out the window. Each night, I had a sudden compelling feeling telling me to go look out the window. Tonight was no different. I stood up and padded barefoot to the end of my bed and peered out the window. All there was, was moonlight and trees, same as every night.

I sighed once more and pulled off my moist top before crawling back into bed and trying to lull myself to sleep again, singing the same songs my mother had sung to me as a child. Once again, I had fallen asleep exactly 15 minutes after getting back into bed.

As the next day came, I woke up, feeling more exhausted then I had while waking up earlier that day. I looked at the clock which read 5:59 I immediately slammed my hand down on the off button of the alarm before the piercing noise could ring through my ears. I stood lazily and shuffled to the full body mirror, looking at my body, which was still pale and untouched by the sun, from the long winter which we all thought would never pass. This winter, which we normally though would last its average three months lasted a full five and a half months, stretching well into April.

I shuffled towards my closet and grabbed a brown ragged sweater and continued towards the end of the hall where my bathroom was. As I walked into the bathroom, I looked at my reflection and for a moment, I hardly recognized who was looking back at me. I ran my fingers through my chocolate colored curls which only fell to my chin, and smoothed my hand over my freckles that sat on my nose. My green eyes didn’t look like my green eyes anymore. I felt as if I were looking into a strangers eyes. An imposter’s eyes, yet I felt more like the reflection than I did as the one looking at it. The feeling faded and I shook my head at my preposterous thoughts.

I tugged a pair of nearly grey jeans off the shower rack and dropped my plaid pajama pants on the stark-white tile floor. I tugged the old jeans over my legs and fastened the button at my hips. The bottoms of the jeans dragged across the bathroom floor, creating more holes and stains. I curled my bare toes against the coldness of the floor. I pulled the ragged sweater over my head, as the weather was not quite warm enough to bear without some sort of protection. I shuffled my fingers through my curls again and ran a bit of mascara across my lashes. I smiled dryly at my pale reflection and wandered down the stairs where I slipped on a pair of pure black lace up shoes. I then grabbed my backpack off of the floor and slung it over my shoulder. Before I left, I stared at the apple in the kitchen on the counter. I sighed and then headed out the door without a second thought.

I made it to my bus stop, where I was the only student there, living as far away as I did from my school. The bracing winds were not inviting, but they did help to wake me up. As I headed to my usual spot in the near back of the bus, the bus jolted and screeched to a stop a few feet from my position. The doors flung open and the cold air invaded the bus. On the bus came a boy of my age. His hair, like mine, was chocolate colored, though his ran jagged and layered in his face. He wore a thick, dark grey blazer over a black turtle neck and deep black jeans to match. His skin was whiter than mine and his lips were such a pale pink, they were barely contrasting from his white skin. He hugged his books to his chest and sent out an apology to the bus driver, and explained that he was new to the area. Though the conversation took place 15 feet ahead of me, I heard every word in clear detail. His voice, though soft, carried like an echo. He quickly hustled to a seat, two rows ahead of me. He looked back at me quickly and inhaled sharply. I did the same and immediately diverted my glance towards the window.

By the last stop, everyone had gotten on the bus. I still sat alone, as always, yet so did the boy. He sat with elegant posture and white ear buds in his ear, even from our distance, I listened with great precision over the noise and heard Moonlight Sonata play from his ear buds. He had his eyes closed past his hair. His lips parted slightly and he took a deep breath in. I watched as his head tilted back so that it rested on the back of his seat. He licked his lips and breathed steadily, eyes still closed.

We pulled into the school lot and immediately, everyone grabbed their bags, readying themselves to get off in a frenzy. As always, I sat in my seat and waited for others to pass. As I was alone, I stood up and slid into the aisle. There, I noticed the same boy still sat in his seat, head leaned back, Moonlight Sonata finishing in his ears. As I walked closer, his mouth twitched as a smile tugged. I passed and then felt him rise behind me. His nice black shoes clicked softly on the floor of the bus. I made a quick effort to head off the bus as soon as possible.

I made my way into the cafeteria and sat at one of the long, empty tables. Here, I pulled out my journal and began scribbling in whatever popped into my mind. I always found it to be helpful, as my memory fades in and out of consciousness without my knowing. Meanwhile, around me my peers shouted and made rude comments. All I could think was I am surrounded by idiots. I continued scribbling in words until the horrid noise of the school bell rang in my ears. I gripped my book in my hand and rose, speeding off to my first period class.

As usual, I went unnoticed. If it weren’t for roll call, not even the teacher would notice me. I liked it that way. It kept things quiet. I spent my next few class periods scribbling pictures in my notebooks. I didn’t need to pay attention in class. I already ace all the tests without trying.

It wasn’t until sixth period Biology when I stopped scribbling in my notebook. In this class, I had something to pay attention to. The chocolate haired boy sat diagonally from me, going as unnoticed as I did. Something about him didn’t feel right. He felt dangerous. I intended on keeping my distance as much as possible. I watched as he slipped out of his grey blazer, revealing an impossibly thin torso hugged by black fabric. I could nearly count his ribs through his shirt.

Meanwhile, Mr. Anders called roll in his heavy cockney accent. “Haley.” he called out hoarsely. I raised my hand shyly. He peeked up past his glasses and looked at me, “Now don’t strain your voice there, sweetie.” He said in a painfully sarcastic tone. The class chuckled and I slumped in my seat. As he finished roll he looked around the room, his eyes landing on the boy, “Oi!” he called, “Who’re you?” he stumbled closer to him.

“Alexander Douglas, sir,” He replied with stunning confidence.

“Why’re you here?” he nearly spat.

“I’m new to the area. Just moved in. Only following the schedule, here, sir.” he handed him a class schedule. Mr. Anders grabbed it out of his hand and hobbled away mumbling about how no one ever tells him anything. Mr. Anders made a quick phone call to the front office to check in on any new students. He then hung up the phone forcefully and stomped back to Alexander, handing his schedule back. He walked away grumbling about the fullness of his class in bitter tones. He then droned on about the sexual anatomy of humans in order to get ready for the next day’s sex education lesson, a lesson which I dreaded to learn about while in this class. In this class, not only did I have the most bitter, male incorporated teacher, but I also was surrounded by immature teenage boys who were sure to laugh whenever Mr. Anders said something that could be used in a dirty joke. I’m sure the next few days would be something worth avoiding.

When seventh period arrived, my free period, I did as I normally did and walked to the bookshop down the block while I waited for the bus to arrive. The bookshop was connected to a separately owned coffee shop, where I bought a hot black tea nearly every other day since the cold weather started. Their prices were fairly cheap and I always got a student discount.

I got my tea and sat in the far back lounge chair with a handful of books I had bought earlier that week. I opened up the first book, Romeo and Juliet. Of course, I had read the book years before, several times, but I found it the last time I was in the bookshop and felt the need to buy it. I read across the pages with words so familiar, I could recite them by heart. Meanwhile, the chimes by the door rang someone walked in. I looked up to see none other but Alexander Douglas ordering a coffee…at my coffee shop. How dare he? Now, I know it isn’t really, my coffee shop, but it was my place to go. My home away from home. This boy had moved to my bus stop, had my free period, and was now in my coffee shop. Couldn’t he have found his own places to be? I sighed out loud and tried to continue reading my book.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.

At this point, I hadn’t passed the prologue before looking back up at Alexander, who now, with coffee in hand strolled casually towards me, looking more at the book in my hand than me. Then, he spoke.

“Romeo and Juliet, huh?” he said with a chuckle. I didn’t reply. “Spoiler, they die at the end,” he continued, making light humor, with me, still staring at him with an almost angry disposition. “Come on, now, you’re not even going to crack a smile? That was a good one!” He said grinning at his own joke.

I put my head back down to my book. Then, without me looking back up, he finished the prologue, “The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love, And the continuance of their parents' rage, Which, but their children's end, nought could remove, Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage; The which if you with patient ears attend, What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.”

This is when I looked back up, only to say, “You know Romeo and Juliet?”

“Of course, I’ve read it nearly a hundred times.” his eyes now lit up at my response. For a moment, I began to smile, then remembered that he was in my coffee shop.

“Why are you here?” I said bitterly, closing my book.

“I just wanted some coffee…” he looked down slightly.

“No, why are you here in Washington? Who comes here? No one, that’s who, you’re either born here, or you’re not here at all, and if that’s not all, you’ve invaded my coffee shop and my free period. Now what am I to do? You’ve taken it away.”

“Well, Miss-- what was your name again?” he stumbled.

“Haley.” I nearly spat.

“Miss Haley, I’m sorry you feel that way. I didn’t mean to take anything, though this isn’t really your coffee shop. You’ve got a bit of a fight in you…” he mumbled. “I like a good ol’ fierce girl.” his eye hinted at a wink. My mouth hung open slightly at his now noticed green eyes and his impossible remark.

“You’re trying to make this humorous,” I nearly gasped. “Well, I wont have any of it! None of it!” I shoved my books into my bag and grabbed my tea before storming out into the icy winds. I walked quickly off to the bus stop and waited for it to arrive. It was then that I remembered that I’d be seeing Alexander again, as he rode my bus. I quickly got on the bus as it pulled up and went to the very back. Alexander was the last person on the bus, and as he walked towards the back, he looked at me and smirked. I furrowed my brow slightly and quickly looked away. He sat a few seats ahead of me, thankfully. I then pulled my headphones out of my pocket and connected them to my little green iPod. I began to play Modest Mouse’s song, Float On. I turned the volume all the way up and leaned my head against the window, closing my eyes. Every time the bus jolted to a stop, my eyes popped back open to check if we were at my stop yet. Each time, less and less kids were on the bus.

On the second to last stop, I woke myself up and began gathering my things. The last student got off, and it was only me and Alexander left. I dreaded the eye contact that we would make while getting off the bus. The bus pulled to a slow stop, and the doors opened wide. Alexander stood up and took his time grabbing his bag while I lingered a few feet behind him. He walked slowly to the door and stepped down to the sidewalk, me following in his footsteps. The bus pulled away and he stood in front of me, blocking my path. I avoided eye contact, looking down at his chest.

“I need to get past,” I mumbled.

“I just needed to give you something before you ran off.” he said slyly, then held out Romeo and Juliet in his hand. “You took off in such a hurry, you left it behind.” he smiled with a hint of sarcasm. I quickly gripped the book and nodded gently. He let me pass and I began to hustle quickly away. Behind me I heard his footsteps. Was he following me? I quickly snuck a peeked behind me to see his crooked smile about 15 feet away. I pursed my lips and hugged the book to my chest. A few moments later, curiosity got the best of me and I looked back a second time. This time, he waved at me, wiggling his fingers, letting me know that he saw me clearly looking at him. I picked up my pace.

“You should really tie your laces, Haley, dear!” He called from behind, “Wouldn’t want to have me picking you up off the sidewalk!” I could hear the smug smile in his voice. Without looking back and looked at my shoes to see them both untied. I growled softly to myself and kneeled down to tie them. Before I knew it, Alexander was passing me, not saying a word as he did so. I finished and stood up, slinging my backpack back over my shoulder. I walked slightly slower, seeing Alexander a few feet ahead. He looked back at me, with the clear intention of letting me know that he was definitely looking at me. He smiled slyly and then rounded a corner. My corner.

Once I rounded the same corner, I saw him walking down the street on the opposite side of my house. I passed a few houses, and so did he. I then crossed the street and walked diagonally towards my house. He continued straight on until he hit the house diagonal from mine. We both reached our front porches at a near approximate time. He then gestured a point to me and a casual wink before unlocking the door and walking inside. “You have got to be kidding me.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Aug. 28 2012 at 11:00 pm
C.L.Erins BRONZE, Nunn, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
The past is like a pen. You can always cross it out, but you can never erase it. ( unless you have one of those special erasable pens and in that case... well you are lucky)

i really like this. :) keep going please. i must know more!!