Pushed | Teen Ink

Pushed

By ees19, Lake Oswego, Oregon
ees19, Lake Oswego, Oregon

Author's note: I wanted to write a novel that the world hasn't already seen

No

Ten seconds left i’m doing the penalty kick, my palms are sweating and I feel as if the earth is on my shoulders. The stadium is silent, if I miss this the chances of us winning the championship, and getting #1 in the state is flushed down the drain. I walk backwards two feet and I can hear my heart beating, and I feel as if everyones eyes in the stadium are glued to my back. I look where I want the ball I start running. Head up, head down I kick the ball waiting for something. I look up the goalie dives and BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! Everything is frozen, and the beeping continues. Randomly, something starts to shake me but no one is touching me! Then I realize what it going on. I open my eyes and my mother is standing over my bed. It was all a dream, my usual dream.
“Clara! wake up.” My mother is shouting.
“I’m up, I’m up.” I say and I jump out of bed.
“Clara, you woke up late! You have ten minutes to get to the bus.” My mom says throwing my my clothes, that I laid out last night.

I put them on and rush to the bathroom grabbing my brush and brushing my hair. I then brush my teeth, and run to the kitchen. I chug down my glass of orange juice, and my toast. I wave my mom goodbye and dash for the bus.

My name is Clara or Clairease Margaret. I live in Miami, Florida with my brother and sister, and my mom. My dad lives in Orlando with his wife and kid. My parents got divorced when I was really little. My dad was a drunk. My mom decided that it would make our life too hard if we had him around. They talked it out and my dad left because he knew it would be best. My mom then lost her job so we bought a trailer, so we live in a trailer park. I’am 14 and a half, and I’am a freshman at Florida High School. I jump on the bus and someone grabs me.
“Get your dirty....” I start to say when I realize who it is. “ Pia, not cool dude!” I say hugging my best friend, Pia Colonit.
“Sorry Claire, your a little jumpy this morning. Are you okay?” She says putting her arm around me.
“I had the dream again last night.” I told her.
“You need to sign up for soccer! You’re amazing, just cause you know who is doing it doesn’t mean you won’t make the team.” She says squeezing me hand.
“Nah!” I say.
“ I love your outfit!” Pia says grabbing my hand as we pile off the bus.

I’am wearing shorts, and a green tank top with my turtle necklace. Then blue converse. It looks great with my Florida skin.
We pile off the buss, then Pia pushes me towards the soccer sign up sign.
“No way!” I say.

Then out of nowhere Tess Margaret flashes by flipping her gold blonde hair. She grabs the pen and signs her name on the soccer sign up sign.
Tess Margaret ♥

Tess Margaret is the most popular girl at our school. She is a Junior and 16. She has straight A’s, she is amazing at every sport, and you either are head over heals in love with her, or you wish you could be her. I think she is ridiculous for two reasons. 1: She is perfect and nobody can be perfect. 2: She is annoying, know it all, nice, friendly, right about everything, is always complimented my my parents, SISTER! Yes Tess Margaret is my SISTER! I’m probably the only person who HATES her. She is the younger version of my mom! I on the other hand have curly brown hair, I’am 5’8, stubborn, creamy skin, pimples, and braces. Tess has long curly golden hair, she is tan, 5’6, and white teeth. No pimples, no braces! She is a barbie doll. But of course everyone LOVES HER! She then places the pen down, turns on her heel and walks down the hall with Jeanette, her best friend.

Disgusted, I turn around and walk right into my older brother Kole. He shoots me his famous death glare and walks down the hallway. He is a senior, 18, jock, popular, straight A’s, JUST LIKE TESSE! I’m the odd child, or the “ accident” as Kole says.
Then the bell rings and I grab Pia’s hand and we fled to Calculus.
“Ladies, please take your seats!” Mrs. O’Connor who is a stickler on being late says as she sets down the chalk and begins her daily lecture on being on time.
“As you all have heard, soccer sign ups have started and I all hope that you sign up. I’am coaching.....” I zone out.
“I’am defiantly not signing up now.” I whisper to Pia.
“No kidding, it would be stupid if you knew your coach was the wicked which of the west.” Pia says giggling. Then Tess walks in.
“Tess! What a surprise, what do you have for us today?” Mrs. O’Connor says.
“Soccer news Mrs. O’Connor,” Tess says squeezing Mrs. O’Connors shoulder.
“What a teachers pet.” Pia whispers.
“No kidding, I have to live with her.” I say.
“Ladies! enough talking, Tess Margaret has something to say!” Mrs O’Connor says shooting me the death glare, twice in one day, good for me.

No

“Attention! As you all know soccer is starting and we need as many people as we can if we are going to be the Jaguars this spring! I have been playing soccer for so long and I have volunteered to be the Captain of the Varsity team, which may happen if I make the team. But lets not talk about me!...” Tess says.
What? I thought, thats my dream. I make a mental note to kill her at home.
“So, I have the information right here, I encourage you all to tryout! Raise your hand if you would like one!” Tess says, of course everyones hand goes up.
“Tess, why don’t you set the handouts down on my desk and I will hand them out later.” Mrs O’Connor says flashing a smile to Tess.
“Great Idea! Bye now.” Tess says flashing a blinding white smile, and flipping her curls as she walk out the door.
“God I hate her.” I say to Pia.
“Honey, join the club.” Pia says.
“Ladies you have detention go now!” Mrs. O’Connor says.
“But, Mrs. O’Connor!” Pia says.
“No buts out of my classroom!” Mrs. O’Connor says pointing her finger at the door. I get up and grab my bag as I see Pia mouth the word “ Whitch” at Mrs. O’Connor.

Pia and I walk down the hall to detention when Tess leaves the Detention room she sees me and stops.
“Oh hey Sis!” Tess says giving me a great big hug.
“Hey Tess!” I say trying to act like she is my best friend.
“You’re trying out for soccer right? because I want the Margaret sisters to shine out this year. Since, everyone knows that, you and I are the best soccer players in this school!” Tess says putting her arm on my arm and opening her mouth showing a blinding smile.
“Tess I’m not trying out! kapeesh!” I say taking her arm off my arm.
“Claire! You know how much I want this! please! please, please, please!” Tess says starting to scream and jump up and down.
I turn around and Pia mouths “Shut her Up!”.
“Fine, I’ll try out!” I say.
“Yay, thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you Clara!” Tess says giving me and a hug and then leaving.
“Are you really trying out?” Pia asks in a excited tone.
“Hell no!” I say.

Then Pia and I spend the rest of the day in detention. After school we bike to my house.
“Hey Clara how was school?” My mom asks.
“It was okay, I got detention.” I say apologizing.
“Oh honey its okay I know you have stress because of the soccer tryouts, Tess told me all about it!” My mom says as Kole walks in. Great I thought Tess has everyone on the loop.
“Hi Kole!” Pia squeals.

Pia has had a crush on Kole since like the 1st grade. She came over for a sleepover and she only talked about Kole, and how dreamy he was. She almost started drooling once. Once I swear that night I heard her say in her sleep, “ Oh Kole, I will marry you!”
I swore I wouldn’t tell anyone.
“Hey yourself.“ Kole said, grabbing a grape.
“Kole be nice!” My mom said swatting him with newspaper.
“Hey mom I’m heading to football, I will be home by 11:00 ish because some of my friends and I are going to Pal’s after practice.” He says leaving. Then Tess walks in through the front door.
“Hey mom!” She says.
“Tess! How was school darling?” my mom asks giving Tess a kiss.
“Amazing! I will probably be the soccer captain, and I will most likely be on the team!” Tess says grabbing my moms hand. Then Jeanette, Tess’s best friend comes running in.
“Jeanette, how was......” My mom said but before she could finish Jeanette said.
“Sorry Miss. Margaret, no time to explain, Tess the soccer tryouts are today, in fifteen minutes!” Jeanette said.
“But I thought they were next week!” Tess says.
“Well they changed, come one!” Jeanette says.
“What!!, well no time to waste, Clara its our time to shine!” Tess says grabbing me and sprinting upstairs.
She tells me to take all my clothes off I try out argue but instead she starts crying and I just say fine, no use getting Tess upset.
“No you need a running bra?” Tess asks.
“Duh I’m in high school!” I say.
“Oh your right!” Tess says tossing me a running bra, a shirt, shorts, soccer socks, and shinguards. I pull them on as fast as I can pretending to be excited. The she puts her hair up same as me and grabs my hand. Then we get on our bikes and race to the high school. We make it right as they call our names.
“Tess Margaret?” Mrs O’Connor calls out.
“Here!” Tess says, Mrs. O’Connor flashes her a smile.
“Clara Margaret?” Mrs.O’Connor calls.
“Here?” I say. I get nothing from Mrs.O’Connor.
“Did you sign me up?” I whisper to Tess.
“Yah! I didn’t see your name so I wrote it down!” Tess said.
S***, I make a mental note to kill her later.
“Okay Ladies! we are going to do a series of sprints, you will go 20, and back, 30, and back, 40, and back, and 50, and back. You much complete it in 35 seconds, we will do this drill 10 times in a row. Then we will do passing, then shooting, and to finish we will scrimmage! Okay, any questions? Good get on the yellow line!” Mrs. O’Connor says.

We all get on the yellow line, then Mrs. O’Connor blows her whistle. Suddenly, my I realize why I have been having that soccer dream. I have to make the team, I’am in the championship and the only way to see what happens at the end of the dream, is to make the soccer team.

I sprint as fast as I can, I’am last, Crap. I push myself ten seconds later, I’am ahead of Tess, and Jeanette. I can feel Mrs. O’Connor’s eyes glue into my back. Finally, I finish the first set in 20 seconds. I rest and repeat it nine more times.
“Ladies, gather around. I can feel and see serious competition tonight. I can tell you there are about four people who could easily break the soccer records this year. Now lets do some passing.” Mrs. O’Connor says.

I get in line, my passing is not bad, but not as good as Tess’s. I pass the ball again.
“Better passes Clara!” Mrs. O’Connor says making a mark on my clipboard.

Crap, I try harder, and harder. But nothing helps. Mrs. O’Connor keeps say “ Better passes”, or “Faster”, or “Is that all you got”. I try to go faster but my passes get worse. I go slower my passes get better but I’m not going fast enough. We finish ten minuets later.

“ Alright, lets do some shooting! Line up, on my whistle you shoot. You shoot right foot first, then left. Then alternate! Go!” Mrs. O’Connor shouts.

Marie Robinson, goes first, its a mile off. Mrs. O’Connor yells at her. Tess goes next it goes it, Mrs.O’Connor compliments her. I go next, I remember my dream. Head up, Head down. It goes in perfectly. “Clara, where did that come from, that a kid!” Mrs. O’Connor says shooting me a smile. I make it every time. Then we scrimmage, I’m fast. I make seven goals, my passing it still bad. At the end we get water and make a circle around Mrs. O’Connor.
“Alright ladies, you will get a phone call saying if you made it or not, Great Job tonight! ” Mrs. O’Connor says leaving. I grab my water, it flows down my dry throat, water has never tasted so good. Then someone grabs my arm, its Tess.
“Come on Clara, I want to get home so I can answer the phone about whether we made it or not!” Tess says grabbing me spilling my water as we head for our bicycles.

How can this girl not be tired, three hours of serious competition, no water, and she just hops on the bike peddling like there is no tomorrow. I pedal along slowly. I lose sight of Tess. I get home I see her on the phone smiling. I come in and this is my welcome.

No

“I can’t believe it!” Tess says wiping away tears.
“What happened Tess?” I ask.
“You made the team....and I, I, I didn’t!!! I tried so hard, and Mrs. O’Connor says that my passes were not good enough, and that I wasn’t fast enough!” Tess says wiping away her tears.
“Oh its okay baby, you tried her hardest, Clara will help you improve so you make it next year!” My mom said kissing Tess.
“Hey mom can I talk to you outside for a second?” I ask.
“Of course baby!” My mom said following me outside.
“Why did you just tell Tess that I would help her improve, I’am not helping her! You know how I feel about her!” I say.
“Clara she is your sister! I know you and Tess have had your up and downs...” My mom said but I cut her off.
“Up and downs! I hate everything about that barbie, she is stupid, she is obsessed with herself, and everyone LOVES her!” I say.
“Honey! Tess is not a barbie doll, she is a beautiful young women, just like you! You do not hate Tess, you just don’t have a good relationship with her! I want you to help her improve then maybe you two can get to know each other, tell her how you feel okay?” My mom says.
“Fine” I say.
“Thank you baby, I love you.” My mom said bringing me inside.
“Tess you go to sleep, Clara will sleep with you, Kole will be home in about an hour.” My mom said blowing us a kiss.
“Clara, thanks for agreeing to help me, I love you.” Tess said shutting her eyes.
“Tess listen, I have to tell you my opinion on you.....” I started to say but then I realized Tess was asleep, S***. There goes my confidence. So I shut my eyes and went into a deep sleep.

I wake up at maybe 1 o’clock and there is a big figure standing in our kitchen, I suddenly feel adrenaline rushing through my body. I see a robber standing in our house, he is drinking coke! why is he drinking coke? I grab an umbrella quietly get up. I tiptoe to the kitchen then as hard as I can I smack the robber on the head with the umbrella.
“Ow!” The robber yells, as he holds the top of his head.
He flicks the light on and I starts hitting him again. He starts yelling.
“Stop Clara! Stop!” The robber says, then I realize it’s not a robber.
“Its Kole!” Kole yells.
“Sorry! are you okay?” I say setting the umbrella down, Tess is still asleep.
“What do you think, I just got hit in the head with an umbrella, jeez, why the hell did you do that!” Kole said with the look of pain in his eyes.
“Sorry, I thought you were a robber!” I say getting some ice from the fridge.
“Didn’t mom tell you I would come home soon!” Kole says taking the ice pack and putting it on his head.
“Oh yah! Sorry, guess I forgot.” I say.
“Well it was dumb, but hey thanks for the ice pack.” Kole says.
“Sorry I just have been really jumpy lately, I really want to be a great soccer player, and I feel like I suck.” I say.
“Hey I used to play soccer, don’t say this to mom, but dad helped me when he wasn’t drunk and I got a lot better. I know Tess acts like she is really good but she is not that great. Hey maybe tomorrow I can teach you some moves since it’s the weekend, how ‘bout that. A little brother, sister time, just you and me, it would make mom happy!” Kole says.
“Really? thanks, not to be rude but you haven’t exactly been the nicest to me lately.” I say.
“Yah I know its just I broke up with my girlfriend a couple days ago. You know Chelsea Quinn? You probably do, anyways I have been a big pain in the ass ‘cause of that. Sorry” Kole says, suddenly I realize, Kole and I actually do have stuff in common.
“I’m sorry bro” I say.
“Hey don’t worry ‘bout it, now you go to bed missy, and I will see you tomorrow.” He says hugging me.
“Love you?” I say.
“Love you too, Clara.” He says heading up the stairs.

I feel my eyes fill with tears, it’s ‘cause I haven’t ever really had a quality conversation with Kole since mom and dad got a divorce. It’s nice to know what all is going on. Secretly inside I love him I just don’t like to show it. I then close my eyes and I fall asleep happy, for once in my life.

I wake up and it’s saturday, I smell bacon, eggs, and pancakes. Tess is rambling to mom that she should have made the team, because she is amazing at soccer. Kole sees me look over and he winks at me, I smile back.
“Mornin’ everyone!” I say grabbing a piece of bacon and giving Kole a push.
“Morning baby, we have plain and chocolate chip pancakes, bacon, eggs, cereal, toast, oatmeal, and coffee.” My mom said, as I dished up my plate.
“Hey ma, Clara and I are going to go hit some balls at the high school after breakfast, just a little brother sister time.” Kole said shooting my a wink.
“Well that just made my day, can Tess come?” My mom asks.
“Yah, can I come?” Tess said in a snappy tone.
“Tess, you may not come because you and I hang out all the time, I haven’t had any time with Clara since the divorce so deal with it, okay!” Kole said.
“Mom, did you hear how Kole just talked to me, they both disrespect me!” Tess said.
“You’re right they do, Kole, Tess is going whether you like it or not!” Mom said.
“Mom! come one!” Kole protested.
“No buts! now go!” Mom said pointing at the door.
“Lets go guys! I have so many drills planed to help Clara improve since she needs it the most!” Tess said.
“Actually you need it the most.” Kole said to my under his breath.

Tess, Kole, and I peddled to the high school, we then did sprints which Tess said I wasn’t running fast enough. Then passing which Tess said was terrible. Then to shooting, which I think you know what Tess said. At the end she brought Kole and I in, both of us out of breath and dying.
“Clara, I really expected more out of you today, you just did not live up to my expectations! You should be ashamed, Kole you did excellent as usual.” Tess said giving him a high-five.

We hopped on our bikes as Kole pulled me over before we got on.
“Don’t listen to Tess, you did great. You have dad’s soccer gift, use it Clara. Dad told me you would be amazing one day. Tess just gets in a bad mood when she doesn’t get what she wants, I’m so proud to call you my sister.” Kole said kissing me on the cheek.
“Thanks Kole, I love you.” I said hopping on my bike, then he pushes me to wipe out all the ewwy gewwy talk.

We got home and Tess started rambling again. I heard my name mentioned and Mom started to look worried. Then at about 3:00, I snuck out to meet Pia at the library. I then biked there and met Pia at our table.

No

“Hey Claire bear, hows your weekend going so far?” Pia asks.
“Terrible!” I say, then I tell her everything, she just sits there nodding her head. This is what I love about Pia, She always listens.
“Who the hell does she think she is, god you’re amazing at soccer. She is just a little barbie who brainwashes people!” Pia says ranting, this is not good.
“Hey Pia, I hear there is a new starbucks down the road lets go grab some snacks!” I say grabbing Pia before she can protest.

We walk for a while talking and being silly then a freshman comes up and makes fun of us.
“Hey there are some fresh chicks.” He said pointing at us.
“Hey there are some fresh players.” Pia says loud enough so they can hear her.
“Oh its Pia right? So babe do you want to hang out sometime.” The boy said grabbing Pia’s hand.
“Its Daniel right?” Pia says slapping him across the face. “Go hit on someone your own size!” Pia says.

We ran to starbucks, when Pia’s phone rings.
“Great its my mom!” Pia says grabbing her phone.
“Hey mom!,” Pia says, “What you never told me I would have to watch Jazmine and Kyra today!” Pia says, “No way you know I hate Richard!” Pia is yelling, “Mom I hate him, every since you and dad got a divorce you have been making me take care of his stupid kids while you and him sit down all day and watch movies!” Pia is on a rant, “Mom don’t call me ever again, I’am never coming home, I have my own life, and dad respected it but you never have!” Pia says slamming her phone shut.
“What was that all about?” I ask her.
“My mom married Richard because his is a rich jerk. SO they can just sit at home and be lazy. Which means I have to watch his princesses Jazmine and Kyra while they leave and have some ‘Adult Time’ so I said forget about it!” Pia is really upset. Here is the deal.

Pia’s mom and dad had Pia when they were about 21. Her mom was actually happy! Then while Pia and her dad were on a fishing trip, Pia’s mom got lonely so she met richard and they “fell in love”. Pia and her dad came home to find Pia’s mom on the couch holding Richard’s hand. Pia’s dad hit Richard, then Pia’s mom called the cops. So now Pia’s dad is in jail. Pia’s mom divorced him and married Richard. Pia really hates her mom now, because she totally screwed up Pia’s life. Richard then started living with them, turns out he has two daughters who are brats, they get whatever they want because Richard feels sorry that they don’t have a mother. So Pia is planing to go live with her dad when he gets out of jail. His name is Paul, he is actually a really nice guy. He only hit Richard because he couldn’t belief his eyes. My mom lets Pia sleep over all the time because her mom is crazy!

We bike home because Pia is in a bad mood, she has to live with us now because she can’t go home ‘cause she yelled at her mom.
“Hey girls!” My mom said.
“Hi Miss. Margaret!” Pia said.
“Oh Pia, your mom called saying that she wants to talk to you. I told her that you were upset with her and you would be living here until Paul gets out of jail.” My mom says hugging Pia, then I never in my life have seen this, Pia bursted into tears.
“Oh you poor thing, spill it, tell me everything!” My mom said.
“I just I cannot take my moms crap anymore, she is always either watching movies or on dates with Richard. I feel like I’am never good enough. I really miss my dad, and I can’t live with her anymore. I hate Richard, and his two princesses! I can’t do it anymore. My mom never has respected me or loved me, I’m done with this crap!” Pia is crying so hard. I never realized how hard it must be for her, not feeling loved my anyone.
“Pia you listen to me. I’am here for you! I love you so much, and I’am so proud if you. Living with your mom and she sorts out all of her problems, you are welcome to live here as long as you want. You have a family that loves you, I will pay for everything. Pia we love you and are so proud of you!” My mom says giving Pia a kiss.
“Thank you so much! Miss. Margaret, I really appreciate everything you have done!” Pia says hugging my mom.
“Pia, I will be right back, Clara help her settle in okay!” My mom says leaving.

Then Tess walks in, “Oh hey Pia!” Tess said grabbing a coke out of the fridge. “If you girls don’t mind, I think I’am going to go to a little gathering with Jeanette.” Tess said. But she is wearing a super short yellow skirt, with a low tank top, shirt, high heels, and her hair is curled with her turtle necklace.
“Tess you look a little dressed up to go to a gathering.” I add.
“Well I’am going to Ryan Bastons house with Jeanette and his friend Harrison Jackson. We are just going to hang out.” Tess said leaving out the door before we could say anything else.
“What do you want to do?” I add. But then the phone rings.
“hello?” I say.
“Clara?” The voice says.
“Yah, who is this?” I add.
“Clara this is your father speaking.” My dad adds.
“What the hell do you want?” I say, my dad is crazy.
“Can you possibly loan me some money for a DUI” My dad asks.
“Heck no, don’t ever call us again.” I say hanging up.
“Who was that?” Pia asks.
“Not important lets what a chick flick!” I say grabbing some popcorn and candy from the kitchen.

We end up watching the notebook which is Pia and I’s favorite movie. We fall asleep though, and I hear my mom come in and go to bed. At eleven I see Tess come in.
“Where have you been all night!” I say stopping her.
“Clara, I had the best night of my life.” Tess says hugging me.
“Tell me!” I say.
“Okay so I got to his house and we just started talking because Jeanette and Harrison were late. Then he told me how pretty and smart I was and I told him he was amazingly handsome. So then he leaned over and kissed me, and I kissed him back. We kissed and talked for about ten minutes. Then he asked me out and I said Yes! So its official!” Tess says.
“Good job sis, Ryan is hot!!!” I say.
“I know right, hey Ryan told me that his younger brother Jake likes you!” Tess says.
“Really Jake Bastons?”I say.
“Yah He is totally into you!” Tess says.
“Okay I will look into it!” I say.
“Awesome, night!” Tess says charging up the stairs.

I then went to bed and fell into a magical dream which involved Jake Bostons. The I woke up at 7:00 to hear someone in the kitchen.

No

“Morning.” I say.
“Oh hey claire bear!” Pia says.
“Pia? what are you doing up?” I ask.
“I’am making breakfast, since your family has helped me so much in the past couple years!” Pia adds.
“Pia! you don’t have to do that!” I add.
“Oh Claire bear! I want to!” Pia says hugging me.

Then mom comes down, she looks really tired.
“Pia! what on earth are you doing?” She asks.
“Ms. Margaret, I decided to make you and your family a marvelous breakfast, to thank you for helping me out so much in these past couple years!” Pia says giving my mom a hug.
“Pia, thank you so much. Normally I would reject that, but I swear I didn’t get a wink of sleep last night.” My mom says.
“Why didn’t you get any sleep?” I ask.
“I’m just stressed out.” My mom says.

Then Jeanette comes in.
“Good morning Margaret family!” Jeanette says, waving her golden blonde hair.
“Morning Jeanette! Tess is not up yet, but you can certainly help yourself to breakfast!” My mom offers.
“Nah, I already ate, I will just wait for Tess” Jeanette says plopping herself on the coach.

Then Tess comes running down the stairs.
“Good morning family!” Tess says smiling and hugging everyone, Pia even lets her hug her. She also hugs Jeanette.
“Tess you are in a very happy mood today.” My mom says while drinking her coffee.
“She’s just happy, cause she has a boyfriend!” I say.
“Tess Margaret! how come you didn’t tell me?” My mom says.
“Mom it just happened last night. It was so magical and romantic!” Tess says spinning in circles.
“I remember my first romance it makes you feel a little bit weird but in a good way.” Mom said.
“Who was your first love?” Tess asked.
“Your father, we met in the hallway, I dropped all my books, and he helped me pick them up. He winked at me, and three days later asked me out. After our first date I realized that I wanted to be with him forever. We got married had a couple kids, but he wasn’t the same guy. He had different beliefs, and morals then he did in high school. Then it went West from there, anyways it doesn’t matter now.” My mom said taking another sip of her coffee.
“Thats kind of what happened with my parents, except the other way around.” Pia said, I gave her a hug.

No

We ate breakfast, and Pia and I laughed together. The Kole turned on the T.V and things got scary. The reporter Sarah Hillsbarg reported that there is going to be a hurricane with winds up to 100 miles per hour in Florida in about one hour.
“Okay listen up, everyone is going to stay together. I will get the supplies from the pantry. Unplug and turn off all electrical devices! Then gather blankets and huddle together as a group!” Mom said leaving quickly.

Everyone scrambled to unplug everything in the house, we all turned off our phones, and the TV, Radio, microwave, everything. Then we huddled together, and prayed that the storm would pass by quickly.

‘Bout a half an hour later the door were banging, and it felt like the entire house was shaking. Soon we all fell asleep. I woke up first.

I walked outside and our bikes were completely torn apart, and the plants are all torn out of the ground. I start to cry, everything is completely torn apart or broken. I walk back in to the house and just stand there.
“Is it that bad?” Kole asked with a sad face.
“Yah, it will take us years! YEARS! to fix everything!” I said.
“Honey, it will not take us years.” My mom said trying to comfort me.
“How could you say that, I spent three whole days with Kole and Tess in the back yard creating it! You always say that we can fix everything, but we CAN’T fix this do you hear me WE CAN’T!!!!!!!” I screamed.
“Clara just stop your going to ruin the family like you always do. I should have made the team not you!” Tess said hugging my mom.
“Tess, I’m not even going to start on you! You make me feel worthless, dumb, and you tell me that I cannot do anything! You always tell me that I need to improve but I never will be able to! Do you know how hard it is to be compared to a 4.0, nice, sweet, beautiful, attractive person your entire fricken life!! well “Honey” I would like to welcome you to the life of Clairease Jo Margaret! You always dig yourself under my skin, and you ruin everything. You manage to make mom prouder, and you never say oh honey you’re beautiful! Or you are so good at soccer! You are a jerk who also is a BUCKET-DIPPER!!!” I march out slamming the door and I hop on my bike and pedal as fast as I can to the high school. I cry the entire way thinking about everything that I wish I had not done in my life. I get there and there is a soccer ball I sprint and kick the fricken thing as hard as I can. I sit down and cry myself to sleep once again, great I’m back on my normals routine.

When I wake up it about 6:00 and I’am cold. Great, they really must not care about me because they didn’t even come to find me. I stand up and right in front of me is Tess. She doesn’t have her hand on her hip he face is red from crying and she hugs me and says,
“I’m so sorry Claire, I’m so sorry!” She hugs me, then I hug her back.

She passes me a blanket, we get into the car and she looks at me,
“Listen, I need to tell you why I act like this.” She takes a breath and the rest is history.
“Before you were born, before dad was kicked out, before Kole was even barely three I went to the high school for a Little Tot’s Soccer Session and I saw a girl. She was sweet, kind, friendly, and amazing at soccer. From that point on in my life I wanted to look, act, and be exactly like her. When you yelled at me back there, I realized that I saw her good side that day. I did not realize that she probably has bad days too. So know I promise to be the real Tess, and not the way I have been for a long time. Also, I have always been jealous of you, because you take risks and you have an amazing talent in soccer. If anybody tries to tell you something differently they are not worth being in your life.”

I was shocked at the news, I had never thought that Tess was anything like this. All of the sudden everything made sense, when Tess did not get here way she would cry. But she was a perfectionist anyways. We drive home.

The next couple of months go bye in a jiffy. Soccer games on Friday, and loads of homework. I manage to raise my grades to at least B’s. I make the honor roll. Then all of the sudden it hits me, my soccer team is going to state. I train as hard as I can. Tess and Kole challenge me every weekend. They train me by doing sprints, passing, shooting, dribbling, and skills. In addition, I have soccer practice. The day of the state championship I’m totally ready to win. I eat healthy, drink loads of water, sleep, and train, train, train. The day of the championship I wake up ready to go.

No

As my mom whispers my name she also taps me on the shoulder.
“Clara honey, its time for the big day!” My mom says.
“Hi mom, how much time do I have?” I ask her.
“Plenty of time, I have a healthy breakfast and a shower running for you.” My mom says.
“Thanks, I’m going to hop in the shower.” I say.

I take a long steamy shower, it feels good against my sore body. I relax and take big deep breaths. I try to concentrate about what my plan is to win the game. Afterwards I put on my gear and slip my hair into a quick ponytail. I run down stairs and see a fruity feast.
“Surprise!” Tess, Kole, Pia, Jeanette, and my mom shout.
“Aw you guys, you shouldn’t have!” I say hugging all of them, even Jeanette.
“We just wanted to let you know that whatever happens today we will always love you!” Tess says.
“That is so sweet! Now lets eat!” I say.

I eat every piece of fruit on my plate. I feel great, my muscles aren’t sore and I have a great plan for the game. I relax through breakfast and take long breaths. Then we pile up into my moms van and ride over to the high school. The stadium is full, all of us are excited and ready to play.
“Are you ready Clara?” Mrs. O’Connor asks.
“I was born ready!” I say.

The next hour we drink lots of water, use the bathroom, and discuss the game plan. Then a side comes out of Mrs. O’Connor that I have never seen before. “All righty girls, we have trained long and hard. I just want you all to know that as long as you try your hardest I will go to sleep with a smile on my face no matter what the score is. Now lets go get them!” Mrs. O’Connor says.

I run out to the field and play my hardest. The other team is very aggressive and all they do is boot the ball. Unfortunately, they do it well. The forwards are fast and have killer shots. They score on us twice in the first half. In the second half, Daina Matthews scored on them once. We needed two more goals to beat them. Hannah Ryan scores on them too, she is a midfielder. Ten minutes left and our coach pulls me out.
“Okay Clara, we all know you have a killer shot. Go out there use your skill, and then get one in the back of the net for us kid, you can do it!” Mrs. O’Connor says.

I run out on the field, there is only one minute left. I sprint up and call for the ball. I fake the first defender. I bump the other one then the moment I have waited for. I look where I want the ball. Head up, head down I kick the ball waiting for something. I look up the goalie dives and it goes in. I just won the championship, everyone gathers around me and picks me up. I’m screaming and I have never felt so good in my life. At this moment I experience full ecstasy, and my family races down from the stands. My mom, Kole, Pia, Jeanette, and Tess all hug me and kiss me. I get the trophy and kiss it. Then Jake Bastons walks over.
“Hey great job Clara, do you want to catch a movie with me?” Jake asks.
“I would be honored!” I say.
“Awesome!” He says hugging me.

Tess winks, and the rest is history.

This book has 1 comment.

ees19 said...
ees19, Lake Oswego, Oregon
BEST BOOK EVER!!