Regret | Teen Ink

Regret

By JCVeggigirl BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina
JCVeggigirl BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina

To Thine Own Self Be True- Hamlet, William Shakespear
At Least I Tried- Sisterhood Everlasting, Ann Brashares
I don't need an alarm clock, my ideas wake me- Ray Bradbury
In three words I can sum up life, it goes on. - Robert Frost

Regret

“Come on, Jay I promise it will be fun” said Trixie putting her head in her hand, resting her elbow on the checkout counter, brown hair following her movement.
“I don’t know I’m not really an outdoorsy type. I mean, you of all people should know that” said Jayla with a pout. The bell on the door started to ring as a female customer with shoulder length red hair, walked through the door slamming behind her as she approached the counter.
“Can I return these please; I accidentally ordered them one size to small online?” Trixie and Jayla exchanged looks and a few seconds later both nodded.
“Yes, ma’am, what size” asked Trixie?
“Eight” said the red headed customer.
“I’ll be back in a minute.” Trixie walked to the back of the store and searched through the inventory until she found a size eight in the black flats the customer asked for. She walked back to the counter ringing them up, took the sixteen dollars and fifty cent from the customer then placed the shoes in a bag.
“There you go, have a nice day.”
“Thank you.” At that the customer walked out of the shoe store, the bell ringing once again. As the bell rang one last time, Trixie turned back to Jayla a grin forming on her pale face. Jayla knew she was about to lose in this conversation.
“Come on, Jayla. Please, I promise it’ll be fun. We’ll camp out somewhere lower on the mountain, near a river or something. That way if we need extra water we can just boil it, and we’ll be good to go” said Trixie with a grin plastered on her face. Trixie could tell that Jayla was going over the pros and cons in her head, her brows pinched together making her light brown skin tight. Trixie knew she had won, on Jayla that was a sign of defeat. Trixie squealed in excitement and pulled Jayla towards her for a hug.
“Yay, I promise you won’t regret this.”
“I sure hope I don’t” said Jayla pessimism appearing in her voice.
“Oh come on, don’t be so excited about it” said Trixie elbowing Jayla in her arm.
“I guess I am a little curious to see how this whole camping thing works” Jayla said softly. “Just promise me we don’t go up to far…and if it looks like we won’t be able to set the tent up before it gets dark, we turn around” Jayla said pointing her index finger in Trixie’s face.
“I promise.” Jayla gave her an unconvinced look and instantaneously Trixie’s grin was gone. In all seriousness Trixie said promise again, and this time Jayla believed her.
~
Trixie arrived at Jayla’s apartment at precisely nine o’ clock, already wearing tan cargo pants, a dark green sweater, and tennis shoes. Jayla knew they had to get up early if they wanted to hike up the mountain and set up camp before night fall, yet she still woke up wanting to go right back to sleep.
“We still on for your first ever camping trip” Trixie asked bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet?
“It’s too early for you to be this hyper” Jayla said starting to yawn. She moved out of the doorway allowing Trixie in. She walked straight towards the kitchen and got out two bowls of cereal and two bananas, placing them on the counter. Jayla followed behind her, walking barefoot over the kitchen floor.
“Eat up, it’s going to be awhile before we eat again” Trixie said placing the food on the table. Jayla did as she was told, after about twenty minutes all of their food was gone. While Jayla was getting dressed, Trixie packed any food that she didn’t already have for the trip. Protein bars, grapes, crackers, bread, water, nothing too sweet so not to attract any wild animals. Jayla came back dressed in brown yoga pants, a dark blue sweater and tennis shoes. Trixie looked her up and down and tried not to laugh.
“What” Jayla asked? “I want to be comfortable.”
“We need to blend in with the environment, so the mountain lions don’t spot us” Trixie said in a full out grin. Jayla’s jaw dropped, her facial expressions reading nervousness and paranoia.
“I kid, I kid” Trixie said tucking a loose strand of brown hair behind her ear. “I already have the tent and two sleeping bags, toilet paper, food, pots and pans.” “If you can think of anything else, bring it and take something for the ride it’ll be about an hour long.” At that Jayla took two books off of her bookshelf and placed them on the end table in front of the door, determination on her face.
“Ready” Trixie asked?
“As I’ll ever be” Jayla replied.
~
“So the place we’ll start our hike off will be at the edge of the woods…but don’t worry it’s not that dense. My parents used to take Sage and me all the time during eleventh grade” Trixie said glancing occasionally at Jayla, then back onto the road. “After the woods are some rocks that we have to climb over. That’s the part that’s really going to kill us; you have to be extremely careful so you don’t fall into the gaps. It’s going to take a good twenty-five minutes and after the roc-“
“After the rocks we have to hike up a bit to find the river, right” Jayla asked cutting Trixie off?
“How did you know” Trixie asked staring at her longer than necessary.
“It’s not hard to guess” Jayla said smirking.
“Okay miss smarty pants” Trixie said laughing.
“Just drive” Jayla said motioning her hand towards the road in front of them. “Remember though, if it doesn’t seem like we’re going to have the tent set up by nightfall we turn around while it’s still daylight” Jayla said all cheerfulness gone from her voice.
“Don’t worry we will, the drive is what takes the longest. The hike is possibly an hour, it won’t be that bad if we don’t get tired out easily.” Trixie could feel Jayla staring at her. “Yes, I do mean you getting tired out easily” Trixie said sarcastically. Jayla gave her grimace, and motioned to just drive once again.
“Don’t make me regret agreeing to this.”
“Now I already told you, you wouldn’t.”
“Yeah, well. We’ll see about that” Jayla said pessimism lifting from her voice.

~
Trixie found the indentation in the side of the terrain to park the car, just like her parents used to. She opens the trunk, grabs the tent and a sleeping bag, and then puts her backpack on. Jayla looks overwhelmed as to how much Trixie plans on carrying up the mountain. All the more better to camp lower down Jayla thinks. After watching Trixie, Jayla does the same and then checks the car once more, locks the doors and then heads off into the woods.
At first it’s not so bad; they can almost see out to the end of the woods leading up to a path of rocks. As they start to get deeper into the woods Jayla, not used to being around so much nature, automatically starts to get agitated. Constantly being poked and prodded in the arms and legs, branch after pointy branch. Jayla lifts her legs higher than necessary, so not to touch any harmful plants or trip over any fallen branches. Trixie on the other hand, is acting quite comfortable on the walk through the woods. After about a half mile more, they are out of the woods and into an area free of trees.
Jayla stops. She stares directly at and over the stony edge that waits, before putting down the sleeping bag in her hand. Trixie can feel her hesitation, she turns around and gives Jayla a comforting smile then starts walking towards her.
“Don’t worry, come on. Just follow me, walk very slowly and watch where you place your feet. “This is the tricky part, but-“she pauses to look at her watch “it’s only ten-thirty we still have plenty of time.” Trixie reaches out a hand towards Jayla, she picks up her sleeping bag and they walk towards the rocks.
The beginning of the path starts out by having small jagged rocks, though gradually getting bigger. With Trixie in the lead precisely making her way over the smaller rocks, Jayla’s nervousness starts to fade away. Now the rocks are getting bigger and the mountain side steeper, they both slow their pace. Placing one foot in front of the other, making sure they don’t fall into the crevices or step on any loose rocks. With all the bags that they’re carrying, it would be a disaster waiting to happen if they fell.
The rocks are getting larger, and harder to climb over. Jayla reaches a boulder and puts the tent and sleeping bag over it, to free her hands. She looks down at her feet for footholds, and places her hands on top of the boulder, pulling herself up and over. Once she’s settled she reaches for Jayla’s bags and then grabs her arm to help her over.
Once they both make it, they grab their packs and start to walk again.
“Just a little more and were through the rocks” Trixie says, breaking the silence apart from the occasional chirp of a bird. “You okay, need a break or anything?”
Jayla thinks about the question for a few seconds, then answers.
“No, I’m fine. The less we stop, the more time we have to set up the tent.” Trixie ponders her reply and decides it makes sense, they continue to walk and climb.
“Finally” Jayla says in relief. “My legs are killing me.” She sits down on the grass and gets out her water and some bread. Trixie sits beside her, also getting out food then checks her watch.
“It’s about to be eleven. I’m pretty sure we’ll make it before it gets dark, let’s just rest for about ten minutes. It’s about a mile to the river, but it’s an easy walk” Trixie said closing her eyes.
“Fine by me” Jayla said stretching her legs. After eating they both laid down on their backs, hands behind their heads. Watching the clouds pass by, after about fifteen minutes of this Trixie had already fallen asleep. Jayla not wanting to wake her, but also not wanting to waste time set her cell-phone for eleven-thirty and went back to watching the clouds, eventually drifting off to sleep. Trixie woke when she heard Jayla screaming.

~
“Ahhh, get it off, get it away from me” Jayla screamed in panic. It wasn’t until Trixie saw the green tail that she realized there was a snake slithering up Jayla’s leg.
“Don’t make any sudden movements, they could make it strike. I’m going to go find a stick to carry it away with, okay” Trixie left before Jayla got to answer. Looking high and low Trixie finally found a stick large enough to carry the snake away on. She picked it up and ran back to Jayla, whose eyes were focused entirely on the snakes head.
“Do you know what you’re doing, I don’t want either one of us getting bit” Jayla said her voice getting higher.
“Yes, I’ve seen my dad do this. Now don’t move I’m going to grab its tail and press the stick to its head. Trixie moved slowly so not to frighten the snake, she looked at Jayla, at how much farther the snake was gliding up her body and finally grabbed its tail. As soon as she tightened her grasp on the snake it turned its head, and Jayla sprang up and out of the way. She moved closer to Trixie while she tried to put the stick on its head. After a few unsuccessful tries of trying to get its head, she went for its stomach and finally got the snake on top of the stick.
Jayla backed farther away and Trixie still holding its tail held the stick away from her body eyes glued to the snake’s head, while finding a place to put it down. Finding an area of trees Trixie slowly bent down and released the snake. “Now you’d better not bite me after this” Trixie said quietly. The snake slithered away quickly and Trixie waited until it was out of sight before she turned away.
Jayla was shaking a little when Trixie returned. “Thanks Trix, a lot.”
“No problem.” “It’s a good thing I’m used to this whole “nature thing” Trixie said with finger quotations. “We should get a move on though, so we can make it to the river before dark.”
Jayla grabbed her bags and the tent, and then followed Trixie on the path leading to the river.

~

“Trixie my back is breaking, how much farther” Jayla whined.
“Let’s see we’ve been walking since eleven-thirty, it’s now one. The path is about a mile so...the river should be coming up.”
“Uh, okay.”
The heat of the day was pressing on them; Jayla’s steps were getting smaller and smaller. Then all of a sudden Trixie stopped, turning to Jayla with her index finger on her lips. Jayla tensed, waiting for whatever was coming towards them to appear.
“Do you hear that” Trixie asked? Jayla shook her head.
Trixie walked closer to what she was hearing. Jayla tried to grab her to keep her from moving, but then Trixie started to run.
“Trixie wait” she shrieked. Jayla ran after her, running for about a minute when she almost tripped over Trixie’s sleeping bag.
“What the…” Jayla looked up and saw what Trixie was talking about, she saw the river.
She could now hear the intimidating urgency and thrashing of the river. Its clear water looked very inviting, but also dangerous. Jayla desperately wanted to run over to it and drink from it, though she knew she shouldn’t. She walked over to Trixie who already had the tent out, ready for assembly.
“Need help with that?”
“No, I’ve got this. Could you uh…put water into those four pots though?”
“Sure.” Jayla walked over to the bag with pots and utensils. She grabbed two pots and placed them into the water, her body trembled for a moment. The water was colder then she thought it would be, making her want to drink it even more. Once she was through with the first two, she filled up the last two. Then she started to walk around the campsite examining their surroundings. When she came back, Trixie was nearly done with the tent.
“Wow, I guess it will be up before nightfall” Jayla said smirking.
“Well, considering the fact that I am a pro at this” Trixie responded laughing. “Hold this up for me?” Jayla held up the tent, while Trixie put it into the ground.
“Well it is now two-thirty…and we are done” Trixie said dancing in a circle.
“I say it’s time for some lunch” Jayla said.
“And I must say, that I agree to that.” They sat by the river their feet in the water, enjoying their surroundings while eating a delicious meal of bread, grapes, and protein bars.

~

After they finished eating, Trixie went into her bag and got out an unidentifiable object. She walked back to Jayla with it behind her back.
“What do you say about a little exploring?” Trixie took the object from behind her back, it was a camera.
“Lead the way, Capitan” Jayla said laughing. As Jayla was drying off her feet, Trixie went to her bag once again and got out miniature neon orange cones. Jayla was confused at first, but then she understood.
“We use the cones so we don’t get lost” Jayla said matter of fact.
“You’re getting smarter and smarter about camping, my dear Jayla” Trixie replied.
Jayla brought her bag with the flashlights, first aid, toilet paper and food then they split up the cones-twenty in all-and started walking towards an opening in the forest. Jayla was hesitant, but with Trixie leading the way she felt safer. The trees towered over them, most were covered with moss. Some looked like they still needed months to grow, while others looked like they may fall at any moment. Trixie stopped every few seconds to take a picture, and every time she did Jayla made sure she took in the forest.
No wonder Trixie loves being around nature so much, its beautiful Jayla thought.
Some trees were evenly spaced apart, while others were closer together blocking out the sun. She could also see nests where baby birds were waiting for their mothers to come back with food, and chipmunks racing up the trees disappearing into holes. The last tree Jayla admires has a white owl sitting atop a branch, it staring at her with its huge golden eyes. Jayla was getting paranoid and looked behind her, nothing was there. When she turned around the owl was still staring, and then it let out one loud hoot, flying away.

Jayla caught up to Trixie who was taking a picture of a purple flower, its petals getting larger as it reached the ground.
“Don’t you just love being out here?” “Where there are no disruptions, just the plants, animals…and you of course.” Jayla contemplated her answer.
“I do now. I didn’t use to, but the little time I’ve been out here I actually enjoyed most of it.”
“Good, I’m glad this-Trixie outstretched her arms and looked to the sky-has changed you.”
“Hey, I know this cliff like place where we can watch the sunset. Plenty of space for us to sit and just watch in amazement” Trixie said, grinning ear to ear.
Jayla’s brows pinched together. Trixie knew what she was about to do.
“When I say cliff like place, I mean a ledge. It’s completely safe, my parents took me and Sage there all the time to watch the sunset” Trixie said reassuringly.
Jayla’s brows stayed pinched together for about thirty more seconds. “Okay…let’s go. Just put down cones as we go along.”
“Yay, you’re going to love it!” “It’s just about…a mile to the ledge” Trixie said quietly.
“Normally I would object to walking a mile, but after today-Jayla started walking in front of Trixie in a dignified composure-I must say that I’m getting used to it.”

~

As they were about to come out from the forest Jayla could see the ledge. Automatically her muscles tightened, but as they got closer she could see that it wasn’t as bad as she initially thought. The ledge was made from one huge, oval shaped rock, big enough for about eight people to sit comfortably on. Jayla was hesitant to stand on it though. As she got closer she started to walk towards it in a crab like position, eventually sitting down Indian style.
Trixie on the other hand walked towards it, got on her stomach, and slowly put her head over the edge. Jayla crawled towards her, grabbing hold of her legs.
“Trixie what the heck are you doing?”
“Relax; I do this every time I come here. I’m just going to take a picture of the things below.” She did, and Jayla let go of her legs as she started to move away from the edge. “See.”
Trixie gave the camera to Jayla. All she could look at was the spikey rocks on the edge of a pond.
“That’s… just a little creepy” Jayla said giving the camera back to Trixie.
“Yeah, it changes every time I come here. The first time I took a picture here I was sixteen, those rocks weren’t as sharp and there were a lot more trees surrounding the pond.” Jayla didn’t know how to respond so she just stared at the horizon. A bright blue sky starting to fade, she knew it was time for the sunset.
Jayla was looking at her sneakers when she started seeing purple in her peripheral vision. It took a while for the purple to surpass the light blue, and then a red started to appear eventually overtaking the purple. The orange was growing larger, and finally a dull yellow grew brighter, hurting their eyes to look at. The colors illuminated the sky for about five minutes, and then the colors started to fade to a darker blue.
“Wow” was all Jayla could say.
“I know its beautiful isn’t it?”
“Yes, I’m glad we made it in time.” Trixie’s stomach growled and they both started laughing.
“Well that just ruins everything, doesn’t it?”
“No, I’m glad I got to see it” Jayla said.
“I guess we should start heading back for some dinner. On the way back if you see any good kindling make sure to pick it up.”
“You making a fire the old fashioned way” Jayla asked?
“Um no, that is the only camping skill I haven’t mastered.” At that Trixie pulled a lighter from a pocket on her bag, opened it and a lone flame danced in the wind.

When they got back to their campsite they had collected enough kindling for two days. They set everything down and Trixie started making an area a good distance away from the tent for the fire. Meanwhile Jayla got out the hotdogs, water and barbeque chips.
Trixie had everything set up for the fire; all that was needed was the flame. Jayla brought over the hot dogs and a pot of water that needed boiling.
“Ready for some flames” Trixie asked?
“Let the flames begin” Jayla said in her best announcer voice.
Trixie picked up a branch, opened the lighter and brought the tip to the flame. As soon as it was making it’s was down the branch she put it on the unlit kindling, at once it all burst into crackling flames.
Jayla got a blanket and placed it on the ground, they sat a distance away from the fire and started roasting their hotdogs. After their second, they ate chips waiting for the water to boil.
“So Jay, would you ever do this again?”
“Actually, I think I would. Not anytime soon, my legs need some rest…but I don’t regret coming” she said smiling.
“I don’t know what it is about being outdoors, I just really love it. You would think I was born outside or something-she smiled-I don’t know; I just like the feel of the open air.”
“Yeah, nature’s kind of growing on me” Jayla said giving Trixie a light shove in her arm.
“Good, that was my purpose for this whole trip.”
After eating, the girls laid on the blanket gazing at the stars. They were very distinct in the pitch black sky, their bright silver shine so beautiful. Trixie loved looking at the stars in the city, but they were harder to see. In a place without any obstructions, she looked to the sky for hours in astonishment.
Jayla was impressed by all the figures she could make out. One was what looked to be a face of an old man, and another was one of an odd shaped ice cream cone.

Trixie started to yawn and stretch, and then looked at her watch.
“Well, it’s ten and I’m beat” she said sitting up. “What about you?”
“Yeah, I think it’s about time to hit the…tent” Jayla said sarcastically.
“Okay just grab the things and put them inside” Trixie said washing her fingers off in the river.
“I’ll be in in a minute, I have to use the bathroom” Jayla said finding the toilet paper.
“Don’t wipe with any poison ivy” Trixie said laughing hysterically. “That would be a disaster” she said doubling over.
Trixie didn’t even have to look up, to know that Jayla was glaring at her.

“Have a nice little bathroom brake” Trixie asked zipping up her sleeping bag?
“Glorious” said Jayla taking off her shoes.
“I set my watch for nine, is that okay” Trixie asked.
“Sure, that’s fine” Jayla said wriggling into her sleeping bag. “Trix?”
“Yeah?”
“I’m glad you invited me on this trip” Jayla said quietly.
“Your very much welcome, Jay” she whispered. “Goodnight.”
“Night” Jayla said drifting off to sleep.

~

Jayla woke up at three o’ clock, having to use the bathroom again. She put on her shoes, getting the toilet paper and a flashlight. Quietly she unzipped the tent and walked out into the darkness, her eyes taking a few minutes to adjust.
As she was walking away from the tent, she saw a figure rush by in her peripheral vision. Immediately she stopped, and pointed the flashlight in the direction of the movement. She spun in a circle, not noticing anything, and then hurriedly went to the bathroom.
She returned to the tent, not seeing anything out of the ordinary on her walk back. She tried to go back to sleep, but couldn’t so she started reading one of the books she brought.
Eventually she fell back asleep, but woke quickly, when she heard a playful growl nearby. She sat up rapidly, the book she was reading fell from her stomach to the ground. When she heard a second growl her hearing intensified, the growl sounded like it was getting closer.
She stretched and then looked at Trixie’s watch, it was five o’ clock. As she was unzipping her sleeping bag, she heard something fall into the river, making a tremendous splash. Quietly she opened the tent, sticking her head out far enough to see the river.
She inhaled sharply, there were two grizzly cubs wrestling in the river. She rushed over to Trixie shaking her furiously, when she started to talk Jayla put her hand over her mouth.
“Shhh.” “Trixie listen to me, we have to be very quiet.” Trixie’s face expressed confusion. “There’s tw…two bear cubs, outs…outside” Jayla said her body starting to tremble.
Trixie sat up abruptly. “Two cubs?” Jayla nodded. “Are they close?”
“They’re in the river” Jayla whispered. Trixie gasped.
“We have to hurry. Where there are cubs, the mom is sure to follow” Trixie said tying her shoelaces.
Jayla froze, a chill going down her spine. She hadn’t even thought about the mother bear.
“Jay, put on your shoes, hurry” Trixie rushed her words. Jayla tried to double knot her shoes, but failed from her hands shaking to terribly.
Trixie triple knotted them, and then grabbed her purse putting her car key in her pocket. “Only take the light things. We have to be fast.”
While Jayla grabbed her purse, Trixie looked out of the tent Jayla nervously waiting for news of the location of the bears.
“They’re still in the river. I don’t see a mother bear, but that doesn’t mean she’s not around. We’re going to have to be as quiet as we possibly can while leaving the tent, and we can’t stop running until we’re at the car.”
Trixie could see the panic in Jayla’s eyes. Though Trixie was the braver of the two, Jayla could also see panic in her eyes.
“As soon as we get out of the tent we need to look at the bears, to make sure they don’t see us and then we run.” Jayla grabbed Trixie’s hand.
“I’m so scared Trix.”
“Me too, but that’s okay.” Trixie gave her a comforting smile. “Just promise me Jayla that no matter how much pain you’re in, do not stop running.” She nodded.
“Are you ready?” Jayla took one last deep breathe, and then closed her eyes for two seconds. Then she nodded.
They get out of the tent very quietly. As soon as they are both out they looked towards the bears. The bear that was out of the water shaking its fur looked in their direction; it let out one loud moan. It attracted the second bear’s attention, it rising out of the water. From the opening in the forest emerged their mother.

~
They started running. It was still dark out, the fog making it harder to see things, but they knew the bears were behind them. Waiting for the moment when reality sets in, realizing that they couldn’t outrun the three of them.
“Jayla, run faster” Trixie screamed. Her words instantly take effect, and Jayla picks up her pace. Jayla is a couple of feet behind Trixie; she slows her pace so she can catch up to her. If anyone is to be left behind, it should be me. I am the one who told her she should come, she needed to come. I am the one who brought her into this, I’m not about to let her be taken out of it Trixie thought.

She finally reaches Trixie, and they start to run faster again. Pushing their bodies harder and harder, to go faster, going beyond their breaking points, all they need to do is run faster. Just a little faster. They are leaving behind the steeper parts of the mountain, dawn beginning to break giving them light. Though unfortunately they encounter the worst rock-strewn part of the terrain, it was difficult climbing it in broad daylight. Now descending it, in very little light is going to be harder. Trixie examined the rocks some small and sharp, others boulders. Whatever the size they now have to slow their pace, so not to fall and waste time to recover, time right now is precious. Time is critically needed.

Trixie looks behind her at Jayla, seeing the panic on her face. The way her hands shake, and tears from her muddy brown eyes, stream down her cheek already starting to dry on her tan skin. They now have to carefully descend the rocks, placing one foot slowly in front of the other. Trixie grabs Jayla’s hand to help her along, and to help her calm down so she can concentrate on not stepping into the crevices. There is more sunlight sweeping out from the horizon, Trixie turns around once more. She shouldn’t have.
The bears are catching up quickly, possibly half a mile away. The mother bear is in front of the cubs, teeth exposed, feet pounding on the earth as she inches closer. Trixie panics all over again, starting to powerwalk down the rocks pulling Jayla along. They’re almost through the rocks when Trixie falls. She hears a crack, and lets out a blood-curdling scream. Then she looks at the gap that she fell into. The gap is big enough to see from four feet away, even in the little light that was supplied. Jayla rushes to her, dragging her so that her leg is out of the hole. Jayla gasps, as she glances at her foot. Trixie looks at her right ankle. It’s twisted to the left, the wrong way. Jayla tries to pick her up; Trixie tries to stand with her help, but falls. Trixie knows she can’t walk, let alone run. She knows she has to let Jayla go, to let her save herself.

Jayla looks behind them and before she starts to sob again Trixie catches sight of her brows pinched together. Trixie knows she has given up, she won’t let her. She can’t let her.
“Jayla you have to lea…leave me be…behind” she says through tears. Her eyes go wide, and she immediately starts to cry harder.
“No, no. Trixie I ca…can’t. I’m not leaving you behind, I won’t leave you without tr…trying harder” she says her voice and words breaking. She glances behind them again, and kneels down to pick Trixie up under her arm, their hair becoming a mesh of brown and black. Trixie helps her as best she can, putting all her weight on her left leg. She makes it up, and they start to descend again. “I’m sorry Trixie, but we’re going to have to move faster” she says rushing her words.
Trixie tries to hop on her left leg, pausing for five seconds to put out the burn. They start walking again when the bears are about thirty steps away. Trixie knows she has to let Jayla continue without her. She leans on her a little less, and starts to hop on her leg again. They get about ten more steps down when Trixie falls again. Jayla falls with her, and Trixie puts her hands on either side of Jayla’s face. She starts to cry again, realizing just how difficult this is going to be.
“Jayla, I’m so, so sorry, for making you come. Now there is a ton of light, and she looks at Jayla closely. She closes her eyes, tears beginning to fall, her body shaking. Trixie drops the car key in her hands trying to give her the clue to run away, but she stays on the ground with her. Jayla opens her eyes, looking past Trixie at the bears approaching, then back to Trixie. She grabs her hands.
“Trix, don’t apologize for anything. You’re my best friend, forever and always” she says voice breaking. Trixie smiles; she knows she made the right choice. Jayla glances behind Trixie one last time, and then gazes into her eyes, all of the years they’ve been friends being played out between them.
That’s when Trixie feels razor sharp teeth sinking into her leg, her hands slipping from Jayla’s.

Epilogue

“Trixie” Jayla screams. She knows Trixie can’t hear her. The mother bear drags her away, the cubs following behind. Jayla stands there for at least two minutes, knowing she should be running, but not being able to make her legs move.

The bears, and Trixie are fading into the distance being covered by the remaining fog, Jayla knows she has to leave. She can’t take the risk of being here, if the bears come back. “I’m sorry Trixie” she whispers. She wipes her eyes with her dirt covered hand, and starts descending again.
She starts off with a powerwalk, then a jog, eventually leading to a full scale run. She is now over the rocks and running into the minor woods. She races through the forest. Trees, branches and small creatures blurring in her peripheral vision, every other second she glances at her feet, then at what’s ahead and behind of her.
Her breathing becomes tough so she slows down, this time eyeing what’s behind her more carefully. Thankfully, the fog is nearly gone and she doesn’t see anything following behind her. But she knows it may not be that way for very long. Jayla stops where she is and puts her hands on her hips, sobbing once more. This time she sobs over the brave loss of her best friend. She stands there crying, and screaming for a good ten minutes, before she realizes she may be drawing attention to herself. She removes her hands from her hips, and gazes at her right hand. Memorizing how it looked and felt holding Trixie’s that last time. She closes her right hand into a fist and starts to run again.
Tears are blurring Jayla’s vision causing her to trip over fallen branches and lose her footing over the dewy grass, but she didn’t care. So long as I make it out alive she thinks.
Now she’s running as fast she can possibly manage trying not to fall, her legs not even feeling like they’re touching the ground. I just want to make it out of these woods; I want to make it out for Trixie Jayla thought.
At first Jayla didn’t realize she was out of the forest, until she heard the change in her footsteps. These steps sounded harder. On more solid ground, asphalt.
Jayla looked down at her feet, underneath them was the road. She had made it out alive. Jayla kneeled to the ground, placing her palms over the cracks in the street. Her head was bent over, eyes closed tight, tears landing on the asphalt. Then suddenly, a car struck her from behind. The loud hoot of an owl was the last sound she heard.