Gilded | Teen Ink

Gilded

By tudor3x8 GOLD, Irvine, California
tudor3x8 GOLD, Irvine, California

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Summary:

At 15 years old, Tori Wellburn was raped by a friend of her parents. Though she was beaten in the process, her parents blamed her and subsequently sent her to a boarding school so that they would not have to see their "dishonored" daughter.
Now, at 17, Tori is back to her home, and she realizes that things are nearly shattering in pieces. Though her family is rich and is held together by a thread, she knows that her situation is precarious. Her 20 year old sister is pregnant but is beaten by her husband, her father believes in male superiority, and her mother is weak and submissive. The question is now- will the strong willed Tori break in this house of hell?

Tags: Family

star3x8

Gilded

charmiypiggy said...
on Mar. 12 2011 at 8:25 pm
charmiypiggy, Melbourne, Other

You eat food for the enjoyment of it; the fact that it helps you stay alive is just a bonus.

I think that the concept is quite interesting; certainly one I haven't really heard of before. However, though I know that this is supposed to be more 'modern', the way you wrote kept me thinking that it was set in the olden days. As the others have said, it is rather dark, but also intriguing at the same time. I would suggest that you put spaces in between the paragraphs to make it easier to read. Great work, though!

on Mar. 12 2011 at 4:47 pm
pheebz88 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire

It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart

This is very dark...but very good.  I think the way you write is compelling and captivating.  You spaced out the facts or important details very well!  Keep writing!

star3x8 said...
on Mar. 12 2011 at 10:54 am
Aw, thanks :) I actually have finished the entire novel for last year's NaNoWriMo, but I didn't want to put the entire novel just up yet. Not only was I afraid that people would be scared of reading it, but I was a little scared that someone might steal it. I have big dreams for this story :)

on Mar. 12 2011 at 9:25 am
JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

This is dark and kind of scary, but very good. I don't want the inevitable to happen! Aside from a few minor grammatical errors and a few typos, the novel is golden. Haha. (: Really, though, I liked it a lot and really hope you continue with it!