My First Play | Teen Ink

My First Play

October 30, 2019
By Traviosa7, Plainville, Connecticut
More by this author
Traviosa7, Plainville, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This is the first play I have written. I have acted on stage for many years, and am mainly using that experience as the format for this work.

Act I


Scene 1.0


(Lights fade up. Helena is onstage organizing the couch. She steps back when she finishes and flips the pillows. George walks in with a cake and places it on the coffee table.)


HELENA

When you said you were going all out with the decorating, I didn’t expect any rainbows.

GEORGE

(Stands back and looks at the cake.) Neither did I. Guess it just worked out that way. 

HELENA

I guess so. Is her name in cursive?

GEORGE

You bet. I took this online course a few days ago when Mary was with your brother at his therapy. It gave you this entire lesson on the history of cursive, why it's important, how to read it and use it to write, all that nonsense. I just skipped it all and used this, “Text to Cursive Translator” thing that it provided me when I completed the course. I typed in her name and created an image file that showed what it would look like written down on paper. I only printed it out and used it as a template. (He holds up a piece of paper with a cut out of “Mary” written in cursive. He shows Helena and puts it back on the table.) Are those new pillows?

HELENA
No, I just flipped them. See. (She returns the pillows to their original places, then back to the new ones.)

GEORGE

Ahh. (Pause.) Did you water your flowers yet?

HELENA

Yeah. Last night after my shower... Oh no, no, no. (Helena exits into the kitchen. She reappears in the backyard with a watering can. She panics and waters the flowers. She calls across the house.) Dad! You should have told me sooner. (George crosses to the bedroom window and looks out.)

GEORGE

I wanted to see if you remembered. 

HELENA

Well, obviously I didn’t.

GEORGE

I am going to have a very stern word with your uncle. He should have taught you better. (His phone vibrates and he looks at it.)

HELENA

I’ve only had this garden for two years, and Uncle Oli has had his for almost fourty. (She has finished watering the plants and exits into the kitchen.)

GEORGE

Fine. You’re excused. (He crosses back into the living room. Helena appears from the kitchen.)

HELENA

Did Uncle Oli tell you when he's going to get here? (George looks at his phone confused.)

GORGE

Soon, I’d guess. Annie sent me a text, can you decode it?

HELENA

Decode? Is it in hieroglyphics or something?

GEORGE

Maybe. It says, “G-O-T-H B-T-S C-W-T-S-Y”
HELENA

Hmm. (She thinks for a moment.) Yeah, definitely hieroglyphics. Can't help you, sorry.

GEORGE

Hmm. (He puts the phone away.) Your garden is beginning to look a lot like your uncles.

HELENA

Stop. It’s nothing.

GEORGE

I'm serious

HELENA

You know, I wish I could have a garden like his. The vines growing everywhere tangling themselves in the roof. Roses growing like a sea of flowers just the height of my knees, tickling my legs as I walk through them. And his tomatoes. Ugh, I don't know how he gets them to grow so large and healthy. I can only get mine just over two feet!

GEORGE

It just takes time. He worked for years on his.

HELENA

Yeah. Just some time. And a few thousand dollars. (George chuckles.)

GEORGE

I'm sure your uncle would lend you a hand. When he comes down you can show him the flowers you added. He would love to see them. 

HELENA

I know. 

GEORGE

Okay. (Pause)

HELENA

Ugh. (Impatiently.) When are he and Annie getting here?

GEORGE

Soon I would imagine. Those two are late to everything.

HELENA

Mhm.

GEORGE

Your mother always joked that they would be late to their own wedding. And guess what!

HELENA

They were.

GEORGE

Yeah. Did I tell you before?

HELENA

Yes. Multiple times actually. It rivals the number of times that you’ve told me how you and mom met.

GEORGE

Oh! So you want to hear the story again? 

HELENA

Well, I mean, it's a nice story and all, but you don't have to…

GEORGE

(Interrupts her.) Very well.

HELENA

Ughh!! (She sprawls out onto the couch.)

GEORGE

She walked into math class one day, and she was in the front row. Glasses, braces, pigtails, my kind of woman.

HELENA

Last time she had a ponytail. (She moves her legs and he sits down on the couch.) 

GEORGE

I sat right behind her. For some reason, I couldn't stop myself from smelling her perfume.

HELENA

It gets creepier every time too.

GEORGE

After class, I followed her off campus and was just able to get her attention before she turned the corner away from my house. I introduced myself, told her my name, and…

HELENA

Did she run into her house screaming?

GEORGE

Exactly. (Pause.) And after four years of persistent attempts, two almost accusations of sexual harassment, Mary was my date to senior prom. (He looks at a family picture from the side table. Tom walks from the kitchen into the living room. He is holding a vase of flowers picked from the back. He is wearing old torn clothes that are covered in dirt.)

TOM

I- (Coughs.) I hope these are fine. (George and Helena both stand.)

HELENA

They look great!

GEORGE

Yeah, thanks for this, Tom. (He puts the flowers down on the table near the cake.)

TOM

Hey. When are Oliver and Annie going to be here?

GEORGE

Uncle Oliver and Aunt Annie are going to be here soon. They left just two hours ago from San Jose.

TOM

Okay. It will be nice to see them. (Pause.)

HELENA

How is Gene doing? (George gives her a stern look.)

TOM

What?

HELENA

How is he? You… saw him recently?

TOM

Yeah. (Small pause.) Why do you care?

HELENA

I’m just asking, there is no need to get defensive.
TOM
I'm not getting defensive.

HELENA

(Snotty but not aggressive.) Well I’m sorry.

GEORGE

Helena! (Tom storms off into the bedroom. When he enters the bedroom, the lights fade up over  the bedroom up SL and cast a red tint. The lights fade up on SR over the outside lawn. Oliver and Annie enter silently. They are signing a card and putting it into an envelope.)

GEORGE

You didn't have to bring up his therapy with Gene.

HELENA

I was just asking. He needs to know that someone at least cares for him.

GEORGE

He’s sensitive about that. You know he doesn't like talking about it.

HELENA

I was at least trying to talk to him.

GEORGE
You can force him into doing what he doesn't want. He will talk about it when he wants to. Until then, just let him be. (Pause.) I know you want to help him, but that doesn't give you the right to run around starting things. 

HELENA

I wasn't trying to start anything.

GEORGE

I don’t want to hear it. (Doorbell rings.) Your uncle is here. If they ask, Tom is cleaning the bedroom, got it? (Helena walks over to the front door and opens it. She hears but ignores George.)


Scene 1.1

 

(Oliver and Annie enter the living room and the lights on the outside fade. The light on the bedroom changes to a yellow-orange tint.)

 

ANNIE

Helena! (They embrace.) Oh my goodness it's been almost two years. Look how much you've grown.

HELENA

Hello, Aunt Annie. 

OLIVER

She’s growing faster than my tomatoes, lucky.

HELENA

(They laugh and embrace as well.) Guess your garden’s not doing that well, Uncle Oli?

OLIVER

It's definitely seen better.

ANNIE

George! Oh my goodness! (They take each other's hands.) Have you been treating my sister well?

GEORGE

You’re acting like a grandmother, Annie.

ANNIE

I’m getting old, that’s all. (They embrace.)

OLIVER

Mary is turning fifty today, and you’re the younger one.

ANNIE

(Notices cake.) Oh! Is that the…

GEORGE

Yeah.

HELENA

I said that he did too much with it.

ANNIE

Nonsense. (To George.) It looks wonderful. I like all the… the colors.

OLIVER

You outdid yourself, George.

GEORGE

Thanks. I actually took this course on cursive for this bottom bit. Learned everything there is to know. (Helena gives him a joking glare.)

ANNIE

Wow. Impressive. Oh, Helena dear. I left the presents for your mother in the car. (The lights over the front lawn fade up.) Could you go and grab them?

HELENA

Sure. (She exits to the front lawn and walks offstage. The lights remain on.)

GEORGE

So, Annie. How have you been?

ANNIE

Oh, just wonderful. Oliver has been putting new plants in the garden, and he's thinking about getting some hens as well. We would have to invest in a chicken coop, however, but there is this guy that lives just down the street. His name's Rob or something, but he's an excellent woodworker. I'm sure that he would be able to build one for us.

GEORGE

Wonderful, but I asked how you were doing. (Oliver chuckles.)

ANNIE

Stop! I'm doing fine, George. I won bingo at the Senior Center just last Thursday. It was very exciting.

GEORGE

How can you be a member at the Senior Center if you're under fifty-five?

ANNIE

The older ones always sneak me in there for bingo. They say I, "Raise the roof". I don't really know what it means, but I go along with it. It's great fun. 

GEORGE

Well, whatever makes you happy, Dear. (Oliver laughs again.)

ANNIE

(To Oliver.) What?

OLIVER

I'm against it.

ANNIE

I never asked for your opinion, Oli! (They all laugh. Helena comes running in from SR, through the lawn, and into the living room. She has a very large bag in her hands and is carrying it from the bottom. The lights over the front lawn add a green and red tint.)

HELENA

They're here!

 

Scene 1.2

 

(Panic ensues. George hides under the coffee table, Annie goes behind the couch and Oliver crouches behind the side table. Helena puts down the bag and sits, putting it between her and the door. Movements can be added for more comedic value as necessary. As this happens, Mary enters SR into the front lawn with Lisa, who is using Mary for balance. They begin to talk when they enter the living room. After they enter, the lights over the front lawn fade.)

 

LISA

For the last time, God damn it, I don't need any help.

MARY

You say that every time, and every time you end up falling and hurting yourself.

LISA

Well if you helped me less, then I would learn. Wouldn't I?

MARY

I don't think that’s how it works. I think while you're down here were going to get a bar to help you in the shower, I saw one that was cheap at...

LISA

Stop! (Interrupts. Mary is startled. They stop in place. The lights in the bedroom change to a light blue.)

MARY

My goodness Lisa, are you feeling dizzy again. What is…

ALL

Surprise! (George, Annie, Oliver, and Helena all appear to from their places.)

MARY

Ahhhh! Oh my!

GEORGE

Happy birthday, Dear. (Mary smiles at him.)

HELENA

Happy Birthday, Mom! (She runs up and they embrace.)

MARY

Lisa, you knew about this the whole time?
LISA

It was my son’s idea. I told George, ‘I’m not sure she'll like surprises,’ but he insisted.

MARY

Oh dear. (She laughs.)

ANNIE

Oh, you’re a year older! I still remember when we were riding bikes as kids, and now look at you.

MARY

Don’t make me feel older than I already am! (They embrace.) It really good to see you. How was the drive? 

ANNIE

It was wonderful. All the sights were amazing. I’ve lived here for thirty years and never knew California was so beautiful.

MARY

Well, I’m glad you made it up safely. (She notices the cake.) Is that my… why are there…?

GEORGE

I thought you deserved something a little special.

MARY

(Pause.) There’s a lot of colors...

GEORGE

Well… I… I wanted...

MARY

Stop! I love it. (They embrace.) Is that cursive?

GEORGE

Yeah. I printed a template though. I didn’t really have time to learn how to actually write in cursive.

ANNIE

But you said… (Helena interrupts.)

HELENA

Well. Um, Aunt Annie and Uncle Oli got this gift for you.

MARY

Awe. Thank you, guys.

ANNIE

You're going to love it. It’s a Salt…

ALL

Shh!

ANNIE

(Screaming.) Lamp! (Pause.)

MARY

(Mary opens the present with complete silence.) Oh! (She pulls out a pink salt lamp.) A Salt Lamp. I've heard about these things on the news lately. They help promote good and restful sleep, and they add a nice scent to your room.

OLIVER

No no no, the sent is a placebo. They say that it does to promote the product, and then when you turn it on, you think that it has a scent, so you smell it. But it really doesn't.

MARY

Oh. Well… I'll go put it in the bedroom. Thank you, guys.

ANNIE

Oh you’re very welcome. (Mary crosses to enter the bedroom.)

GEORGE

I'll start cutting the cake. We'll save the first piece until you get back.

 

Scene 1.3

 

(Mary enters the bedroom. The lights in the living room dim, and the actors ad-lib conversation and cutting the cake. George exits into the kitchen and comes back with a knife. The lights over the bedroom raise, and she notices Tom. He is sitting on the bed facing SL. Mary puts the gift down near the door and slowly approaches him.)

 

MARY

How was…

TOM

Happy… (Spoken at the same time Mary does.) Happy birthday. (He turns around while he speaks. He sits on the bed facing her with his legs crossed.)

MARY

Thank you. (Pause.) How are you doing?

TOM

Well. I've just been thinking about some stuff as Gene said. That’s all.

MARY

Do you want to talk about any of it? You should talk about it. It really helps. 

TOM

I don't think...

MARY

It will. You also need more sessions with Gene. I'll go…

TOM

I don't need to see him anymore. There is only so much…

MARY

They are good for you. (Pause.) You're not doing anything tomorrow.

TOM

Helena and I could do something?

MARY

She might be busy. (Long pause.) I'm going to go back out. I would really appreciate it if you opened up. It'll make your therapy go better. Remember what Gene said?

TOM

Yeah… 

MARY

Okay. And you’ve been taking your medicine?

TOM

Yes. You ask all the time

MARY

Okay okay. I'm just making sure. (She exits. The lights slowly dim.)

 

Scene 1.4

 

(George has finished cutting the first piece of cake and puts it on a plate. He hands it to Mary as she enters. The rest of the family is socializing around the coffee table.)

 

MARY

Thank you.

HELENA

Ok, are you ready Mom?

MARY

Yeah. (She gets on her knees near the coffee table and puts the cake on the table. She puts her hands behind her back and links them.)

LISA

Three!

GEORGE

Two!

ANNIE

One!

HELENA

Go! (They start singing Happy Birthday. Mary unlinks her hands and is eating the cake very fast with a fork. She is trying to finish before they stop singing. While they are singing, the lights fade over the bedroom. As the family finishes Happy Birthday, Mary has not yet finished her cake. They applaud her. She kisses George. All lights fade. Blackout.)

Act 1

 

Scene 2.0


(George turns on the lamp on the nightstand. Lights fade in on the Bedroom. Mary is reading a book in bed about mental therapy. George is folding his clothes and putting them away in the dresser.)


MARY

See look here. It might be genetic. It says that…

GEORGE

We already ruled that out. It was one of the first things that Gene recommended. Ironic isn't it?

MARY

I know. But this book just came out last year. It probably has more stuff in it that whatever Gene learned however long ago he was in school. 

GEORGE

I think Gene knows more than whoever wrote that book. (He leans over and reads the front cover.) Tommaso Rankin. Wow, he even sounds like an intellectual. 

MARY
Stop it. I'm just reading some more about the topic. That's all.

GEORGE

I’m not saying you shouldn't read about it. It's just all the…

MARY

Look here. It talks about that drug Genes giving him. Lithium it is?

GEORGE

Mary. (Pause.) Can’t you see that your a bit controlling?

MARY

I'm not, im just doing research. Look. This new study says that it's almost obsolete. (She takes out her phone to take a picture.) Gene would want to see this. Maybe we can change his dosage, or put him on another medication.

GEORGE

I think Gene would know if Tom needed to be on a different medication.

MARY 

Yes, but this book would know better. It has these new studies that were conducted just last year. (Pause.) I’m going to bring it in for Gene to see.

GEORGE

I don't think you should do that.

MARY

Why not? I’m sure Gene would like to see it.

GEORGE

I highly doubt that. Gene is a professional. He’s had years of training. I have full trust in him that whatever he’s doing is best for Tom. Okay? (Pause. George puts the last few pieces of clothes. He goes and sits on the edge of the bed and takes his slippers off.)

MARY

The cake was good.

GEORGE

I’m glad you liked it.

MARY

Did it cost you a lot?

GEORGE

Not enough for you to worry. (Pause. Helena is heard coming down the stairs into the kitchen.) I'll put the book on the table in the living room for you if you want.

MARY

Sure. (She hands him the book.) Thank you.

GEORGE

Yeah. (George exits into the living room. The lights in the bedroom stay on. He walks over to the couch, pauses, and slides the book under the couch where it can't be seen. He returns to the bedroom. The light in the living room stays on.) I love you.

MARY

You too. (Lights fade over the bedroom. Helena enters the living room from the kitchen with a glass of water. She sits on the couch and waits for a moment. Soon, Tom is heard walking downstairs and enters the living room with her.) 


Scene 2.1


TOM

It’s kinda late. (Helena is startled.)

HELENA

Uh, yeah. Just couldn't fall asleep that well. Are Oli and Annie asleep.

TOM

Yeah. I - I put them in the guest bedroom.

HELENA

Alright. I'm glad that they're over.

TOM

Yeah. It's cool to see them again. I’ve always wanted to go stay with them for a few days in San Jose, but mom said it probably wasn't the best thing, even though Gene said it would be good to get out once in a while.

HELENA

I'll make sure you come with me next time we go down. I think you’d like it there.

TOM

Cool. (Pause.) Did you hear mom and dad talking?

HELENA

No. (She actually did.) What was it about?

TOM

Just some stuff. I didn't really hear that clearly but they were pretty loud.

HELENA

Oh. They probably worked it out.

TOM

Yeah. How is school going?

HELENA

Fine. Calculus has been pretty hard recently.

TOM
Cool. 

HELENA

How about your therapy?

TOM

Good. (Pause.) Mom’s been a bit on top of it all.

HELENA

Yeah. Just ignore her. (He laughs.)

TOM

I try to do that most of the time. But she's just, like… (He trails off.)

HELENA

There's some left over cake in the fridge. Do you want a piece?

TOM

No it’s late, and they might hear us go into the kitchen. The floorboards always creek a little.

HELENA

Yeah. Dad never fixed those. (Pause.)

TOM

I guess I'd better get back to bed. It is pretty late.

HELENA

I guess. I'm going to finish up my water, then I'll be up. 

TOM

Okay. (Pause. He goes towards the kitchen, but stops himself.) Night.

HELENA

Good night.

TOM

And, thank you too. 

HELENA

Of course. (He exits. She takes another sip of her water and puts the glass up on the table. The lights fade while she exits into the kitchen. Blackout.)

Act 1

 

Scene 3.0


(In the blackout Mary gets up from the bed, gets Helena’s cup and brings it into the kitchen. The lights come up on the living room and the front lawn with Mary exiting the kitchen, leaving the cup off stage. She crosses to the front door and goes into the front lawn. Jesus enters SL and crosses in front of the house. Lights fade up on bedroom. Still dim.)


MARY

Right on time. You work like a clock, Jesus.

JESUS

Well, why would I wanna be late for my favorite house on the block? 

MARY

You’re to kind. What did we get today?

JESUS

Well, uh, not like a lot and all. (He sifts through the pile.) Another National Geographic magazine. There’s, uhh, a few bills, water, electric. And, like, the rest of it is mostly just that, uhh, junk stuff or whatever.

MARY

Oh well. You can always hope for better. (She sorts through the mail herself.) Why, it's a dreadfully hot day isn't it.

JESUS

Uhh, yeah. Like my phone’s weather app thing read like a high of ninety-five or something.

MARY

Wow. I never expected it to get that hot this far north. 

JESUS

Yeah. It could get pretty dangerous and stuff too. These temperatures really raise the risk of forest fires starting. Yah know, like, its really dry or whatever. 

MARY

Hmm. It might be a pretty busy Wildfire season this year.

JESUS

Maybe. The 2017 California Wildfire Season has a nice ring to it. (They both laugh.)

MARY

Anyways, I'll keep an ear out if I hear anything more. (Lisa is heard walking down the stairs into the kitchen.)

JESUS

Of course you will. (She laughs.)

MARY

Well I would feel terrible if it held you from your route. You best be going.

JESUS

Alright. (He turns to leave.) 

MARY

Oh wait! How’s your exercise program coming along.

JESUS

Not too bad. I've started doing some cardio work or whatever, so you might be seeing me around the neighborhood or something.

MARY

I'll be on the lookout. Have a good day! (She exits into the living room. He waves and exits off SR. Lisa enters the living room from the kitchen with a mug of coffee.)


Scene 3.1


MARY

Lisa! You know your not supposed to walk down the stairs by yourself. You should have asked Oliver or Annie to…

LISA

Oh now stop it you. I feel I should be able to do whatever I'm comfortable with. (She bumps into the SL coffee table and grabs the lamp for balance. Mary rushes over to help her and throws the mail on the table.)

MARY

See. You can barely even walk straight. (Mary helps Lisa sit down on the couch.) How did you sleep?

LISA

Just fine. (She puts the coffee on the table.)

MARY

Was the bed alright for you?

LISA

Yes, yes. Would you be able to make a cup of coffee for me? (George gets up, looks and the clock and falls back in bed. Separate from what is happening in the living room.)

MARY

You have one right there.

LISA

Oh! I forgot about that. I don't remember what I put in it though. (She takes a sip.) Oh well. How are you holding up these days.

MARY

Just fine. (She reaches for the mail and picks up the National Geographic magazine.) Tom’s therapy is going well.

LISA

That’s good to hear.

MARY

I found this interesting article about some different treatments that are new in the field. George said he put the book on the table, but I don’t see it.

LISA

Oh. Well it's not something you should fuss too much over. Why I'm sure that, ahh, what's his name... (Sudden realization.) Greg, is doing a fine job. 

MARY

Yes… I just don't think he really knows Tom that well. I mean I am his mother for god’s sake. I raised him, and taught him. I know him better than anybody else, so you would think that I should have some say in how he is cared for. It's not like I’m trying to sabotage him, or make his life miserable, for goodness sakes he's my son, why would I try to hurt him?

LISA

(She stands.) Mary, you’re a mother. It's one of the hardest jobs in the world. I had to raise George! Keep doing your best for him at home, and everything will be fine. Just stop worrying. (Mary nods.) What time is your appointment? 

MARY

Around four. (She goes back to the couch.) Have you heard anything on the news recently?

LISA

Not that I can recall. About what?

MARY

I was talking to the mailman just before I came back inside, and he said something about the wildfire season.

LISA

What about it?

MARY

I don't know. It might just have been some nonsense or whatever, but he said the higher temperatures and drier weather increases the risk.

LISA

Oh my!

MARY

I doubt it will be that severe, plus the fires never reach down this far when they do happen, so we shouldn't have anything to worry about. (Annie is heard walking down stairs.)

LISA
I suppose. I'll keep an ear out for anything though, we would want to make sure that we have enough time to get to safety.

MARY

How about you take a shower before me. Do you remember how to work it?

LISA

I believe so. I'm just not sure what way is hot and cold. (Annie enters the living room from the kitchen.) And when are you going to get that shower bar?

MARY

Soon. I have to get to the store first. (Sees Annie.) Morning, Annie. (She begins to cross to the kitchen.)

ANNIE

Morning, dear. Is George still sleeping?

MARY

I believe so. Feel free to wake him up or he won't be eating breakfast. (Mary and Lisa exit to the kitchen.)

ANNIE

All right. (She goes into the bedroom. Lights fade up in the bedroom and fade out over the living room.)


Scene 3.2


GEORGE

Now dear, you know I don’t want to get up, (He turns to face Annie.) so just… Oh! Sorry. I though Mary came in.

ANNIE

Oh, no worries! Did you sleep well?

GEORGE

Fine. And you? Those beds must be a bit uncomfortable. They’re never used. (Annie sits on the edge of the bed, George sits up.)

ANNIE

They were fine. A bit squeaky is all. Oli always turns in his sleep, so it was a bit noisy.

GEORGE

(He laughs.) If he ever starts snoring too feel free to come down here for the night.

ANNIE

I'll plan on it.

GEORGE

(Sincerely.) It's good to see you again. It's been so long. 

ANNIE

I know. It's not that long of a dive, but we’ve both been so busy. I hardly even have much time to text you throughout the day. 

GEORGE

Same here. Even since my promotion my work has almost doubled I can only check my phone when I’m home. (Pause.) What did you mean the other day before you got here. Helena was fussing over her flowers so I was a bit distracted. You said, G-O-T-H-B-T…

ANNIE

Oh, I was playing a little joke on you is all. Got off the highway, be there soon, can't wait to see you. (She stands up SR of the bed. George does the same SL and puts on a shirt. Helena and Oliver are heard walking down the stairs.)

GEORGE

Of course. Should have known. (They meet down stage of the bed.) Do you want me to try and fix the bed for you? Probably just a few loose screws.

ANNIE

If you want to give it a shot. (They exit. As they exit the lights fade up on the living room but are still dim. The lights fade completely up on the back yard. Helena and Oliver enter. The lights fade out again on the living room when they exit.)


Scene 3.3


HELENA

See it's what I told you. (She points at the flowers.) I water them every day, the soil is fertile, they get enough sun, I just don't know what's happening. 

OLIVER

(He goes down to the flowers.) Comfrey is one of my favorites. I have a few in my own garden. Just behind the tulips.

HELENA

Yours are so vivid. I just…

OLIVER

You can do whatever you want to the flower to help it grow. Whether it be watering it, giving it good soil or even controlling how much sun it gets. (Pause.) But unless you actually care for them deep inside you, they will never grow. I’ve had that garden much longer than I’ve known your aunt. I built a bond with every flower there. I know it may sound a bit stupid…

HELENA

No.

OLIVER

But I feel like it’s a part of who I am. I know that as I take care of them and tend to them, I am, in a way, helping myself. You understand?

HELENA

But I do care about them.

OLIVER

I'm sure you do. But it needs to be more than that. They need to matter to you as much as yourself, or you family does. 

HELENA

(Jokingly.) So pretend that my flowers are like a little brother?

OLIVER 

In a way, I suppose. It will take time. You have your whole life and many healthy years ahead of you, just be patient.

HELENA

Okay. (She pauses, then gives Oliver a hug.) Thank you.

OLIVER

Of course. (They stand in embrace. Lights fade.)

Act 1

 

Scene 4.0


(Therapy Office. The set is the living room, the side tables are moved behind the couch to be out of view. Gene sits in the arm chair, Mary is on the SR side of the couch, Tom is on the SL side. Upon entering Mary takes the book from under the couch and reads it. A plain white light light fades up, like a spotlight on only them. Gene and Tom are talking.)


GENE

It’s funny you say that Tom. My sister has loved math all her life.

TOM

Helena just has that type of brain for it I guess. Her homework always confuses me.

GENE

Do you two talk about it often. (He begins to write.)

TOM

Sometimes. I think it's kinda cool that you can find like a bunch of different things when you're just given a graph or something.

GENE

It's definitely very cool. If you’re so interested then maybe you should consider taking some classes on the subject. Even from your sister.

TOM

I never really thought about it. I just thought, you know, that all the stuff would fly over my head. (Mary turns the page, then has a spurt of excitement.)

MARY

Here here. (She puts the book in front of Gene.)

GENE

Yes, I saw that article last week. 

MARY

Then why didn't you do anything. This could obviously help.

GENE
(Sighs.) With him the results will be little to none. It doesn't target the right part of the brain. Plus, I worked for this company for twenty years before I became a therapist and they don't operate honestly. These drugs give a little energy boost, help out with something, and then they are worthless. They are just trying to make a quick dollar. 

MARY

(Takes the book back.) Sure. (She continues reading.)

GENE

(Looks at watch.) That's all we’re scheduled for Tom. Is there anything you want to wrap up with?

TOM

Not off the top of my head.

GENE

Alright. (He stands up.) Have any plans for the weekend?

TOM

Just sleeping in.

GENE
Fair enough. You need to every once in a while. (He chuckles) See you next week.

TOM

Yeah, see you. (Gene moves the desks to the side of the couch. He exits. Mary speaks while he does this.)

MARY

It makes no sense what he is saying. The proof is right here in the book. They even give little graphs. Look. (She shows it to Tom. He is looking in the opposite direction.)


Scene 4.1


(Lights fade up. Over the living room. Mary puts the book back under the couch. It is later in the day. Smooth transition. Helena enters with two glasses of water.)


HELENA

Here. (She hands it to Mary.)

MARY

Thank you. (Helena sits in the chair.) Tom, why don't you tell her about your therapy today.

HELENA

I… Was just going to ask about that.

TOM

It’s fine.

HELENA

(Jokingly.) That's all? 

MARY

Yes. (Pause.)

HELENA

Um… okay. (Pause. Tom gets up and exits into the kitchen. He is heard going up stairs.)

MARY

See what you did.

HELENA

Me? I was just trying to talk to him.

MARY

Well you were being very rude.

HELENA

I was not being rude, I was being his sister. Is there a problem with that? (Pause. Mary is silent.) They should be getting back from the store soon. (She exits to the kitchen.) I’ll start on the dishes. (Mary is left sitting in the Living room.)


Scene 4.2


(Helena is heard washing the dishes. The lights fade up over the SR yard. Oliver, Annie, and George enter with paper grocery bags. They go into the Living Room. The SR lights fade when they all have entered.)


ANNIE

My goodness it's blistering hot. I thought our air conditioner was gonna break.

OLIVER

I think it's fine. Our mechanic just looked at the car and said everything was working good as new.

ANNIE

Still, under these conditions. I heard that thing chuggin. (She has put her bags down and goes and sits next to Mary. To George. She is relieved.) Good think you got central air last year. It was a good move. (To Mary.) Your husband is a bit smarter than you give him credit for. (Mary laughs, but is still shaken by the conversation with Helena.)

OLIVER

Is Helena in the backyard?

MARY

No, the kitchen. She's just getting some dishes done.

GEORGE

I'll start with the groceries. (To Oliver.) Can you help?

OLIVER

Sure can. (They both get the groceries and bring them into the kitchen. Oliver is in front of George.) Incoming. (He runs into the kitchen. Helena lets out a scared scream then laughs at his prank. George enters the kitchen after.)

MARY

You know that this heat could be dangerous?

ANNIE

Oh I know! If you don't stay hydrated you are a prime target for heat exhaustion.

MARY

Not only that. I’m talking about the possibility of forest fires.

ANNIE

Oh my. (She laughs.) That’s a bit dramatic now isn't it?

MARY

Well Jesus the mail man was talking about it. He said…

ANNIE

The mail man said it! Oh my, Mary, your thinking too much. That will never happen here.

OLIVER

(Off stage in Kitchen.) I'm not so sure Annie. (He enters.) I know you don't enjoy the news that much, but it's all over. Especially the past few weeks. Many people further up north have already started evacuating after their towns got put in the “High Risk” zone. It's nothing to joke about.

ANNIE

I'm not joking about it. I'm just saying that we shouldn’t worry about it. 

MARY

Until were in the “High Risk” Zone.

OLIVER

Right.

ANNIE

Even then. Those things are full of it. Oli watches the weather every day and never once have they been accurate.

MARY

This isn't about weather. It's the scientists that do it. The ecologists. 

OLIVER

Mary's right. Just think about it too. We've been in a drought for a while, the temperature are getting to be over a hundred, it just makes sense why there would be a risk.

ANNIE

I'll believe it when I see it.

MARY

Well if I see any fires on the news, you bet I’m taking a three day weekend and going to Las Vegas. (George and Helena enter having finished the dishes and the groceries.)

GEORGE 

Thanks for the help everyone.

ANNIE

Oh! Sorry dear. We were talking about some nonsense forest fires.

MARY

They are not nonsense. Just look at the news.

GEORGE

I’m sure there's a risk of fires, like there always is. We've never been at risk before, so the chances of us being in the danger zone this time are low. (Pause.) Now we don't get to see each other a lot, so let's make the most out of it. Which is why… (He gestures towards Helena.)

HELENA

We’re going Mini Golfing. (There is universal approval and excitement.)

ANNIE
Make sure to bring water everyone!

MARY

I'll get an extra one for Lisa. (She goes into the Kitchen and yells upstairs. Everyone else is in the living room getting ready.) Tom, can you help Lisa down were going out for a bit. (There is no response. Mary enters the living room with a plastic cooler.) We can put them in here. (She puts it on the couch and goes back into the Kitchen to get water bottles. Helena follows to help. Tom and Lisa are on their way down stairs.)

ANNIE

Oh this is so exciting. (She moves toward the Kitchen but does not enter it.) Lisa, are you doing all right?

LISA

Just fine. (She enters the living room with Tom he is helping her walk.) Thank you dear but I can take it from here. (Tom lets go. He moves to the bedroom door but doesn't enter.)

MARY

Don't you dare let her walk by herself. (Mary and Helena enter the living room with the cooler which is now filled.) Lisa!

LISA

I’m fine. I'm ready for some Mini Golfing!

ANNIE

So exciting isn’t it. (She walks next to Lisa, who grabs her for support.)

GEORGE

We’re going to take two cars. I'll be in one, Olivers driving the other.

OLIVER

Sounds good. You want mine, Helena?

HELENA

Sure!

ANNIE

Then I'm going with George. I don't want to hear any more of your plant talk. (They laugh and begin to exit. Lights fade up over the Front Yard. Helena is the last to exit, she looks back at Tom by the bedroom door. The stare for a moment, then Tom follows her outside. All lights fade after they exit.)


End of Act I

Act 2


Scene 1.0


(Lights fade up over backyard. Oliver and George are working on the garden. Oliver is giving George basic lessons on how to take care of the garden, in case Helena ever has to go away. During intermission the bedroom could have been transformed into a waiting room for scene 2.0. This can also be done after scene 1.2.) 


GEORGE

(He is currently watering a large plant.) Just tell me when there’s enough. I don't wanna drown the thing.

OLIVER
Don't worry I'll tell you when. (He is tending to a part upstage with his back to the audience. He does not see George. George looks back.) 

GEORGE

Okay. (Pause. George looks comically concerned. Water starts pouring out the top of the pot.) Oliver! (Oliver turns around annoyed.)

OLIVER

What. (Suddenly panicking.) Oh my God! Stop stop stop! (George pulls the water bucket away and steps back. Oliver takes the plant and starts dumping the water out.) Sorry, I thought you had it covered.

GEORGE

I thought you had it covered. You weren't even looking!

OLIVER

Well it's just watering a plant. I assumed you knew when enough was enough.

GEORGE

That’s why we're doing this. Now I know that overflowing is too much.

ANNIE

(She enters with two glasses of iced tea.) My goodness what's all this commotion.

GEORGE

Just some complications with plant watering. That's all. (He takes an iced tea from Annie.)

ANNIE

Well it can't be that hard. (She gives an iced tea to Oliver than turns and faces George.) Just pour some water on it without pouring too much.

OLIVER
(Sarcastically to George.) Exactly.

GEORGE

Well I guess plant care doesn’t come as naturally to me as it does to you.

ANNIE

What do you mean by that? (She notices the drowned plant.) Oh my goodness. How did this happen?

OLIVER
He just kept going.

GEORGE

Well he was supposed to tell me to stop!

ANNIE

You can’t do it yourself? (She goes over and hits George on the back of his head jokingly.) Have some common since. (George laughs. Oliver gets a phone call at the same time, the lights over the living room fade up but are still dim.)

ANNIE

Don’t tell me. (Oliver and Annie look at each other.) Craig?

OLIVER

(In unison with Annie.) Craig.

ANNIE

My goodness. (Oliver exits to the kitchen then enters the living room to take a phone call.) Let me tell you all about Craig. (She crosses to the bench.) What a man he is. Tall, lanky, has a beard, a bit weird?

GEORGE

Are you writing a poem?

ANNIE

No, but I should. He would be a wonderful subject. Craig the contractor.

GEORGE
Oh. Craig is Olivers contractor boss person?

ANNIE
Yeah. (At this point they are both sitting on the bench.) He makes Oliver's life miserable. Well, it's not that bad, but still it could be a lot better. Oli always says his directions are unclear, and that he’s basically working blind. Then when he makes a mistake, because he didn’t know what to do, Craig always blames him. “It’s not his fault you’re not able to give clear directions to your workers you incompetent… (Struggling for words.) Man.” It’s something I’ve always wanted to say to him.

GEORGE 

Well they must get along somewhat well if Craig is calling Oliver while he’s on a vacation.

ANNIE

That's another thing. Craig thinks that the two of them are best buds. What he doesn't know is that  Oliver can barely stand him. It’s rather funny at times, I have to admit. Craig will ask him about something in his personal life, or ask Oliver some profound questions. What is he supposed to do about that. (She shakes her head like she finished, then unexpectedly starts back up again. George finds this funny.) His new thing is that he loves to talk about his amazing skills. He always calls Oli and says something like, (She stands up to impersonate Craig.) “Hey I tried this idea but I had this really impressive idea that I might do instead. What do you think?” Like he’s trying to impress Oliver by nonchalantly showing off what he thought of. It just always gets him so aggravated. (George stands up to meet her. He is facing away from her.)

GEORGE

There's always going to be people like that. I remember in High School there were dozens of kids just as annoying. Now think about them having jobs, families, living as adults. It's pretty crazy to think about.

ANNIE

At least we’re normal. (She smiles and looks up at George.)

GEORGE

As normal as we can be. (He turns around. She goes in and kisses him. He is stunned and stands still. She is still kissing him profoundly. Eventually he goes along. After a bit of this Oliver hangs up the phone and calls to Annie as he walks over.)

OLIVER

Guess what Craig wanted. (Annie and George break up and stand a little but apart. They are in shock. The lights fade out on the living room and Oliver enters the backyard.) He told me about his new idea for organizing shifts. Said it was, “The best method he’s ever seen.” (Disgusted.) I can barely stand the guy. (There is silence. To Annie.) You okay?

ANNIE

Yes. (She hesitates.) Just… concerned about the plant is all.

GEORGE

Yeah. My bad.

OLIVER

(He laughs.) No need to worry. We might want to re pot it though, the soil is pretty wet. (To George.) Want to come with me to the store, you can choose any pot your heart desires. (Pause.)

GEORGE
Yeah sure. I’ll drive. (He goes straight for the kitchen.)

OLIVER

(To Annie.) We’ll be back in a bit. Love you.

ANNIE

You too. (Lights fade up over the living room and front yard. Oliver and George swiftly exit to the front yard, then off SR. Annie is left alone for a bit, and sits down on the bench.) 


Scene 1.1


(After this, the lights over the backyard dim but are still on. The lights fade up over the front yard as Helena enters. She is carrying a shower grab bar. She rushes into the living room and puts it on the couch. As she enters the lights over the living room fade up. Mary enters with Lisa. Helena goes to hold the door open for them. As Mary and Lisa enter the lights over the front yard fade out. Lisa goes to sit in the chair.)


LISA

Now wasn't that a fun trip. Almost as fun as the mini golf. (She laughs at herself.)

MARY

I know you like going out a lot, but you do have to remember to stay in and rest every once in a while.

LISA

I get plenty of rest from sleeping. Isn't that what it’s for.

MARY

Yes, but

HELENA

I think Lisa is absolutely right. She can sleep and be perfectly fine for adventures the next day.

LISA

That’s why your my favorite. Full of common since. (They laugh.) 

MARY

I'll go put this upstairs. We might have to wait for Oli or George to install it.

HELENA

Aren't there directions? I’m sure one of us could do it. Maybe ask Tom for a hand?

MARY

Not Tom. He’s resting for his therapy appointment later today. (She takes the bar and begins to cross to the kitchen.) 

HELENA

I don't think he needs that much rest for therapy. It's not a work out or anything.

MARY
It is mentally straining. I want him to be fully awake for what Gene has to say to him. (She exits into the kitchen and is heard going upstairs. Annie hears this and follows her upstairs too, presumably to see what's going on and help with installing the bar.) 

HELENA

Sometimes she just kills me.
LISA

I know. George complains to me all the time. But she's your mother.

HELENA
I know. I love her for that. It's just difficult the way she treats Tom. Imagine like a herd of small animals or something. Yeah you have to raise the babies and take care of them, but you’re going to die eventually, whether it’s age or getting dropped hundreds of feet by a bird. Either way, the smaller ones have to actually learn to live on their own. You have to stop getting them food and let them figure it out on their own. Let them go further away from home until they're able to make their own.

LISA

So is the Woods family a bunch of ferrets now?
HELENA

If we’re able to act like a family of ferrets, then I’m fine with being one. (They laugh.)

LISA

You know your dad had a pet Ferret growing up.

HELENA

Really?

LISA

It might have been a guinea pig, or even a hamster now that I think about it. Well anyways, he very much cared about it. He treated it like family. It died rather young, but he never missed feeding it or cleaning his cage. 

HELENA
What was its name.

LISA

It was George. He named it after himself. I'll always remember that. (She laughs.)

HELENA

That’s cute. (Annie is heard coming down the stairs.) I'd like to have a pet. Or at least something that gives a better response than flowers.

LISA

Well maybe your family is your pet. In a caring way. I'm sure you could help sort things out.

HELENA

I’ve been trying. We’re all just so different, it's hard to agree on things.

LISA

It takes time. And you don't have to agree on everything, just what you think is important.

HELENA

My brother?

LISA

That's a start. (Annie enters from the kitchen.) Oh, is it done?

ANNIE

Not yet. We want to make sure we get the right height. Wanna come up?

LISA

Well of course I do. (Teasing.) I don't want you messing up my shower rod. (Lisa gets up. Helena follows close behind. They exit into the kitchen. The lights fade. Blackout.)

Act 2

 

Scene 2.0


(In the blackout the bedroom is changed into the waiting room for the therapy office. The living room is changed into the therapy office, set up the same as before. The bedroom has a few plastic chairs lined up. Mary and Tom are seated next to each other. Tom is engrossed in a magazine. Mary is on her phone. She scrolls for a little bit while they sit in silence. Eventually she checks the news, which sparks conversation.)


MARY

Look at those fires. (Pause.) Look. (She gives the phone to Tom. He glances, then becomes interested in what she is showing him.)

TOM

Where is that?

MARY

Mendochino, just a few miles north. It seems they have it contained.

TOM

What does the report say. (He goes back to reading, but is still interested.)

MARY

“Breaking news, October Eighth. A massive wildfire started today in the Butte district at 8:34 A.M. After failure to contain this fire, it has spread to the northern section of Mendocino park and is spreading quickly. Hundreds of firefighters and taking action to prevent any further spread, however with the intensity of the water, it is unknown if this fire can be contained, or if another one will soon begin. All citizens in this area should be cautious, stay updated, and be prepared to evacuate quickly if needed.” Sounds serious.

TOM

Did you hear how many firefighters they have? It'll be fine. 

MARY

I’m sure that it will be. Eventhough we're far south, we should still prepare. I'll look up survival kits online and see if we need to stop at the store at all.

TOM

We don't need as survival kit. If they say that were in danger, we’ll take what's important and move. 

MARY

What if the fire comes before that.

TOM

Then we’ll see it.

MARY

(Aggravated.) Don’t be stupid. We have to be prepared if anything happens, unless you think this is a joke.

TOM

I'm not saying its a joke. People are dying. I'm saying let's not worry about it until it happens.

MARY

By the time something happens we could be dead. (Gene enters through the waiting room door.)

GENE

Whenever your ready. (The lights fade up over the office, same as before. Gene enters the office and leaves the door open. Mary picks up her purse and walks briskly in. Tom follows slowly and shuts the door behind him. The lights in the waiting room fade out.)


Scene 2.1 


(They see the same as before. Tom still has his magazine. He puts it on the couch next to him.)


GENE

I heard you were talking about the fires. It one of the most devastating ones in history and it hasn't even reached its predicted size.

MARY

I saw that on the news too. Its moving further south?

GENE

Yes. I'm taking my children tonight to Los Angeles. Were gonna spend a few days there, stay in a hotel. They've never seen it before, and it'll keep us safe if anything were to happen. 

MARY

(To Tom.) Maybe we should do the same.

TOM

I told you I don't think we should go.

MARY

You heard Gene, if it happens…

GENE

I think Tom is right. I'm a bit further east than you are, which is already under a Red Flag alert. I suppose you should be fine. (Pause. Gene flips through his clipboard to a clean page.) Enough speculation. Tell me about your week, Tom. (Mary continues to look at her phone. She is engaged in the reports about the fires.)

TOM

Well it was like all the others sort of. I slept a lot more which was nice. We went on a mini golfing trip as a family, and that was fun. I didn't do that good though.

GENE

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I was never a good mini golfer myself. I remember one time I spent maybe ten shots trying to the ball in the hole. I ended up just picking it up and dropping it in because I got so frustrated.

TOM

I saw some kids in front of us do that. It was kind of funny. (Gene writes.)

GENE

Did you do any other family activities since last time?

TOM

No, that was it. I’ve been talking with Annie and Oliver a lot.

GENE

Anything you'd like to share? 

TOM

There was nothing interesting.

GENE

It doesn't necessarily have to be interesting. It seems you found the conversation meaningful. Why is that?

TOM

I just haven't seen them in a while. It was nice to catch up. 

GENE

I'm sure they felt the same way. Aunts and Uncles always love to see their nephews. Its a strong bond.

TOM

Yeah. I thought it was going to be awkward at first. Just cuz I’m in this thing and I thought they were gonna ask about it. But they didn't seem to mind, which was nice. I was just sorta myself around them.

GENE

That's important. (He writes and talks at the same time.) Whenever you feel like you can be yourself, you should. The more of those moments you have the more self confidence you have, and the more people you’ll start to meet and make friends with.

TOM

Yeah, I guess.

GENE

It's not a guessing game. That's a fact. When are they leaving?

MARY

In another week. Maybe earlier if the fire becomes a bit threat.

GENE

Well along with the prescription, I think a good dose of family time could do some good. (He rips off a piece of paper and hands it to Tom. It says “Family Time” He laughs.) You told me you had to leave a bit earlier today?

MARY

Yes, we should get going. (She gets up and heads straight for the exit. This is offstage into the kitchen.)

GENE
Sorry we couldn't talk as long as usual. 

TOM

It’s alright. Have a good week.

GENE

You as well, and remember the prescription. (More seriously.) Tom. (Tom turns around.) Both of them. (Pause. Tom walks towards the exit following Mary. When they leave the lights fade. Black out.)

Act 2

 

Scene 3.0


(Later the same day. In the black out the office is converted back into the living room and the waiting room is converted back into the bedroom. George is sitting on the couch. He is talking with Annie who is in the kitchen getting food for the two of them. George has a news paper.)


GEORGE

Or what about that time we got lost on the northern trail? Mary was freaking out. She kept saying, “What did I tell you. Mendocino is gonna be the death of us!” Ten minutes later, there was the exit. Turned out we were never lost, we just thought we were. (Annie enters with a plate of cookies. The food can be changed.)

ANNIE

So you were on the right trail the entire time, but thought you went on the wrong one?

GEORGE

Exactly. (Annie stis down and puts the plate on the table. She takes a bite for herself.) It’s crazy to think that most of that area is going to be gone soon. I remember going there for camp when I was a kid. Swimming and boating in the lake, hiking with people who knew what trail they were on. (He chuckles.) It's just crazy to think that all of that is getting wiped out right now.

ANNIE

It is. I'm glad that those firefighters are keeping it in there. It would be much worse if it got out. Then peoples houses could be in danger. Imagine how much it’d cost if it got down to Santa Rosa?

GEORGE

That’ll never happen, it's too far. If we're safe where we are then your house is going to be fine.

ANNIE

Well are you sure that we’re even safe.

GEORGE

You saw the news yourself. (He hands her a newspaper. She opens it and reads while he talks.) Most of the areas east of us are already in Red Flag alert, that’s obviously where it's going to be headed if its not contained. We might get brushed by some ashes from miles away but it's nothing to worry about.

ANNIE

I believe you. Plus I know some of the boys in the volunteer fire department back home. They said they're not that worried about it, but the state is making them all stay on duty. (Helena enters from the kitchen. She has an empty watering can.)

HELENA

If we ever get caught in a fire I’ll make sure to put it out with this.

GEORGE

Why don’t you work for the fire department then?

HELENA

Maybe I should.

ANNIE

Oh you’d love the one in Santa Rosa. The man there are very young and handsome.

HELENA

Wise words Annie. Maybe I'll take a trip sometime soon. (Lights fade up over the front yard. Tom and Mary enter SR.) I can always use some more eye candy than the nerdy kids at my school.

ANNIE

Your uncle was one of the nerds in High School. Look how he turned out.

GEORGE

You mean crazy?

ANNIE

No!

HELENA

He’s right, have you seen his plants? (Tom and Mary enter.)

MARY

What’s all the commotion?

HELENA

Crazy people and fires. The usual. (Helena Annie and George laugh with each other.)

MARY

Very funny. (Tom goes to sit in the arm chair.)

TOM

Well I don't think we should be laughing about the fire. It's dangerous.

ANNIE

Right. It's destroyed part of the Mendocino forest already. Imagine all the wild life.

GEORGE

(To Mary.) I was just telling Annie about that time where you though we got lost, but we were on the right trail the entire time? 

MARY

I'm glad you like reliving old memories dear, but shouldn’t we be a little more concerned about being ready to leave. (Pause.) In case it comes near us. 

ANNIE

That won't happen. Have you read the news, its heading East, avoiding Sonoma.

MARY

I know that but…

ANNIE

Then there's no need to be worried.

TOM

I still think there is. What if the wind changes. The entire path of the fire could change too then we’d be right in its path.

GEORGE

Were not even in a Red Flag alert, we have nothing to worry about.

MARY
Well as long as there's a fire somewhere, I think we have everything to worry about. (She Gets more angry.) 

ANNIE

Well look at the facts. There's nothing for us to worry about.

MARY

I don't care about the facts when my family's safety is on the line. Do you even think of that?

GEORGE

We’re obviously worried about our safety, but what's the point in making a big deal out of it if there's nothing to worry about?

HELENA

Dad has a point. Why should we have to leave if were not in danger.

MARY

Because it's better to be safe somewhere else further away than to take risks just because we don't think it's dangerous.

HELENA

Well it's not dangerous and were not taking risks.

MARY

So you're telling me that you're one hundred percent certain of where the fire is going?

HELENA

No but…

MARY

Well neither is anyone else. (She becomes very passionate.) If there is the smallest risk to my family's safety then im doing anything in my power to keep us safe. I don't care how absurd it is.
GEORGE
(Trying to calm her down.) But it is absurd.

MARY

(Sudden fit of anger.) Shut the hell up.

HELENA

Mom!

MARY

You are perfectly aware of the risk that was in and you sit around on your ass and do nothing about it. 

ANNIE

That's not what he’s saying at all.

MARY

(To Annie.) They are not your children you have no right to determine what's best for them. 

HELENA

Mom. Please, can you stop?
MARY

Stop what? Caring about you. At least I care enough to keep you and your brother safe while your father would let you die.

HELENA

Stop saying that it's not true. (She starts to tear up.)

MARY

You heard him say it. He's not gonna move even if the goddamn thing was right on top of him. (Helena runs out into the backyard to the bench. The lights over the backyard fade up but are dim.)

GEORGE

(George stands up.) Mary, enough.

ANNIE

George, please sit down. 

MARY

We don't know where the fires going, or how severe it is, or if we’re in danger or not. Don't you think we should at least be a little bit worried about what might happen to us?

GEORGE

The more we worry the more stressed well be. Oliver and Annie came all the way up here to see us and spend time with us, not to be concerned about a fire going on miles away from here.

MARY

Well now that they’re up here I’d like to keep them alive?

ANNIE

Goerge is right, can we just enjoy ourselves. (Calmly.) It’s been years Mary, please just let it go.

MARY

I’m not letting go of anything until I know that my own family is at least safe. (She exits and goes upstairs.)

TOM

I don't think moms right about the fire, but at least she shows that she cares. (He looks at George and Annie, then exits into the kitchen and goes upstairs. George sighs then he walks into the front yard. When he enters the lights fade up but are dim. Annie takes the cookies and goes to the back yard. Annie offers one to Helena and she accepts. During the next scene, Helena can at anypoint begin tending to the flowers. Annie goes into the kitchen and puts them down, then goes into the front yard with George.)


Scene 3.1


(Annie enters the back yard. The lights fade up. George is standing far SR looking off stage, holding back tears.)


ANNIE

What they said wasn’t true. The fire isn’t coming here. 

GEORGE

It’s not about that.

ANNIE

The other thing isn’t true either. (Pause.) Look I know you care about Helena and Tom. Any parent would it’s not even a question. (Pause.) There’s a reason Oli and I never had kids. Five years ago we tried. I got pregnant, and nine months later, our boy came out. The only problem was that he was feet first and the umbilical cord was around his neck. By the time we got his lower half, he was passed out. When his head came out he'd been dead for 30 seconds. The doctors said there was nothing we could do. (Pause.) Oliver was devastated. He planned out our entire life with Jeremy, and in less than a minute, it was gone. We never talked about it that much after. Eventually, we both forgot, and went on with our lives, and never told anyone who didn't already know.

GEORGE

Annie…

ANNIE
It’s not a big deal to us anymore. Really. I'm just trying to tell you that there's nothing stronger than the bond between you and your children. I don't care what anyone says. (George walks over to her and they embrace. After a few seconds Jesus enters down SR jogging. He stops in front of the bedroom and looks at his watch for a few seconds.) Hey, about earlier today. I want to apologize. I don’t know what happened to me, it was just (Pause. George puts his hand on the back of her head. She looks up at him.) Immature. (They kiss again. As they do, Jesus begins to run again. He passes them, and notices it. He is surprised. He slows down to see, then continues going. He exits SR. A few more seconds past.)

GEORGE

Do you think we’d be able to go on a quick walk to the store? It's just down the street.

ANNIE

Sure. Just let me get my purse. (She goes inside the house. The lights fade up on the living room and the bedroom. Annie exits into the kitchen and is heard going upstairs. George rushes inside quietly, puts on more deodorant, and then stealthily exits again. When he leaves the bedroom the lights fade out. He exits the house just in time when Annie enters the living room. She enters the front yard, and the two of them exit. The living room lights fade out.)


Scene 3.2


(Helena is tending to the flowers in the backyard. She does this very slowly. It can be seen that she is still shaken up by the conversation. After a bit, Oliver is heard coming down stairs. He stays in the kitchen, and fills up the watering can. He enters the back yard slowly.)


OLIVER

I got this incase any of them were thirsty. (Pause. He puts the pail down next to her and stands there. He eventually crosses to the bench and sits down.) I was upstairs with Lisa. Once I heard the yelling started to happen I began telling her ALL I knew about plants at a pretty loud volume, just so she wouldn't hear. Not that she would have anyways. (He chuckles, hoping Helena would join him. She only smiles.) I know that you don't think the fire is a bit deal, and I can understand that. But you have to understand that your parents are just trying to keep you safe. Even if they disagree on what to do, they have the right… interest.

HELENA

I know that. It was just overwhelming.

OLIVER

I understand that. (Pause. He stands and crosses to her.) I have something that might help. Take these plants for instance.

HELENA

Ugh. Not another plant analogy. (Jokingly.)

OLIVER

No no no, this is a good one, and it’s quick. (Helena moves over. He kneels down near her.) Your father told me you forgot to water the plants a few days ago. Now im not mad, even though consistency is key, but imagine what the plants were thinking. They were expecting water, and didn't get it until hours later. Now even though you and the plants had this one falling out, they still love you, and they trust you to take care of them. Eventhough you made one mistake by forgetting to water them, you learn, (He stands up and gets the watering bucket.) and you prove yourself the next time. (He begins water the plants. After a bit, he splashes Helena a little. She laughs and jumps away. He continues to water them.)

HELENA

You really think that the fire is dangerous?

OLIVER

I do. I mean the news all says we're fine where we are, but you know how forecasts can change in minutes? I don't see why this can't too.

HELENA

So we should just up and leave everything?

OLIVER

No, but we should be prepared to. Are you able to tell me that you are one hundred percent certain that were safe. Not even people in Connecticut can say that. We don't know how it can get. (He has finished with the flowers and gives the can to Helena.) Now empty this out and go to bed. 

HELENA

It's not that late.

OLIVER

I know, but rest is important. (They embrace.) Goodnight.

HELENA

(She Sighs.) Night. (She exits into the kitchen, dumps the water out, and is heard going upstairs. Oliver sits on the bench and shuts his eyes. He becomes very relaxed. Blackout.)

Act 2

 

Scene 4.0


(It is night. Blue lights fade up over living room and front yard. Mary exits the bedroom quietly. She goes into the kitchen and appears a few seconds later with a glass of water. She goes into the living room and stands still for a bit, reliving the commotion from earlier. Eventually she exits into the front yard. Jesus enters SL and runs across. He sees Mary and stops.)


JESUS

Hey uh Mary. How's it hangin?

MARY

Fine, Jesus. Why are you out so late?

JESUS

Just some late night cardio or whatever. I always had a hard time getting up in the morning, so eventually I was like, well, why don't I just exercise at night instead. So yeah.

MARY

Interesting. How far have you run. (He looks at his watch.)

JESUS

Like eighty miles I think.

MARY

Eighty!?

JESUS

Yeah. Today is my first day. I just started in the morning and ran around. Then I got to ten and I was like, oh I guess I’ll keep going till I'm tired, so I did, and now I'm like here.

MARY

Wow, Jesus. That's incredible.

JESUS

Thanks. How have you been this fine evening?

MARY

I’m alright. Can’t sleep that well. George was out like a light though. He always was.

JESUS

I see… (Pause.)

MARY

Is everything okay?

JESUS

Well… (Pause.) No not really. I was running by here like earlier today or whatever and I saw George and your sister like really kissing. It was a crazy man. (Pause. Jesus expects a response from Mary but she remained silent.) I mean I just thought I should tell you, since like, he's not supposed to be doing that or whatever.

MARY

Yes. Thank you Jesus. Have a good night. (She slowly turns to go inside.)

JESUS

Mary. If I shouldn't have said anything then I’m sorry.

MARY

No. You're fine. Goodbye. (Pause. Jesus exits SR in a brisk Jog. Mary stands outside, puts her glass down, then enters the house and storms for the bedroom. The bedroom lights turn on and the front yard lights fade out.)


Scene 4.1


(Mary hits the bedroom door while she opens it. George sits up.)

 

MARY

You son of a bitch. (She begins to attack him. He pushed her off.)
GEORGE

Mary! What is this. (She charges at him again. He grabs her hold. Mary! She pulls away.)

MARY

I know what you did! You mother fucker I know exactly what you did.

GEORGE

What the hell are you talking about? about.

MARY
My sister god damn it. Don’t even pretend it's not true.

GEORGE

Mary look…

MARY

I said don't. (She begins to tear up. Pause.) Is it true George?

GEORGE

Is what true? What is this about your sister tell me!

MARY

You know what Im talking about. I don't have to spell anything out. (Pause.)

GEORGE

It’s not what you think it is.

MARY

(Somber.) Don't say anything. You don't have to. (Angry.) You can just rot in hell. (She storms out into the living room.)
GEORGE

Mary, wait! (He follows. The lights go up on the living room, and they fade out on the bedroom. Annie and oliver are heard coming down stairs.)


Scene 4.2

MARY

Oh Oliver! (She seems to have gone insane.) Oh Oli! (Oliver and Annie enter from the kitchen. They are wearing night clothes.)
GEORGE

Mary, stop this. Okay?

OLIVER

Is someone hurt?

MARY

Yes. (Pause.) Two people actually. They go by the names of you and me. Wanna know why. (She points and George and Annie.) Because some people can't seem to keep their pants on around each other.

GEORGE

Mary that's enough.

ANNIE

What are you talking about?
MARY

You know goddamn well what I'm talking about. I know that the two of you have been a bit more than friendly since you got here. A few laughs here and there, some gentle nudges. Mine aswell make out while your at it, and hey, why not fuck eachother for gods sake!

ANNIE

Mary please. This is absurd.

OLIVER

This can't be true, Mary. You need some more rest you've been up all night.

MARY

(To George.) Tell them.

GEORGE

What?

MARY

Tell them for god's sake. You said it to your wife, how is your lover and her husband any different.

OLIVER

Mary that can't be true.

MARY

You’ll see. Tell them George. Admit it. (Helena and Tom are heard walking downstairs.) Oh wait now. Why not tell the kids too.

GEORGE

Mary. Please. (Helena and Tom enter, also dressed in night clothes.)

MARY

Stop there. The two of you are going to want to see this. Go ahead, George. (Pause. George stand still. He looks around the room and begins to cry Helena moves towards him, but Tom pulls her back. After a bit, he eventually gets the motivation to speak.)

GEORGE

It’s true.

MARY

Oh, is it now. (She looks at Annie.) You can't hide behind your lies anymore. He told the truth. Now it's your turn.

ANNIE

(Almost instantly. Aggressively.) Yes it's true. Are you happy?
MARY

Am I happy? Really? My husband betrayed his entire family just for a few hookups with my own sister and you think I'm happy. (She backs up towards the door. To Annie.) You are not family to me anymore. I will never care about you, and I will always despise you. (To George. She begins to tear up.) And you're lucky that I haven't strangled the life out of your worthless body yet. (She runs out the door. The lights fade up over the front yard.)
GEORGE

Mary, come back. It's dark out. Get back here damn it. (She exits SR. The lights over the front yard fade. He slams the door shut and does not turn around. Tom slowly walks into the bedroom. The lights fade up when he enters. Everyone else is silent Annie begins to cry. She walks over to the couch and sits.)

OLIVER

I think the two of you have a lot to talk about. (He exits into the kitchen and gestures for Helena to follow him. She does. The lights over the back yard fade up. They enter the backyard. George and Annie, look at eachother. George exits into the kitchen and goes upstairs. Annie follows. The lights over the living room fade as they exit.)


Scene 4.3


(This scene starts at the same time as 4.4, directly after scene 4.2. They should run the same length, and end up moving together into scene 4.5. Cue lines are marked in 4.3 for timing purposes, but are not required to be followed.)


(Tom enters the bedroom and sits down on the bed facing SL. He has his head in his hands. Oliver: It depends on when, Tom gets up and starts pacing the room, his mind is racing. He may have some sort of tick that gets worse and worse. Helena: What Tom is going through right now, Tom sits back down on the bed crying. He lightly rocks back and forth. Oliver: Give the night to himself, Tom slowly goes over to the bed stand, opens a drawr, and pulls out a box. This has the gun in it. Oliver: Try and stay positive, Tom opens the box and stands downstage of the bed. He is thinking very hard and is shaking a little bit. Oliver: Haven’t been the same, Tom goes to the back yard. As he exits the bedroom lights fade.)


Scene 4.4


(Helena and Oliver enter the backyard. Helena goes onto the bench, curls up in a corner and begins to cry. Oliver stands a little bit down stage, not knowing what to say. Helena stops sobbing and is able to speak.)


HELENA

Have you ever forgotten to water your flowers twice?

OLIVER

Yes. Occasionally.

HELENA

What happens to them?

OLIVER

(Pause.) It depends on when. If there are days in between, they can recover. If it’s back to back… The more precious ones tend to go first. They need the most care.

HELENA

Oh god. (Pause.) I can’t imagine what Tom is going through now.

OLIVER

Are you sure he understands it all?

HELENA 

Yeah, he’s smart. I just don't know what he’ll be thinking. He's probably never even thought of anything this severe before.

OLIVER

You should give him this night to himself. He needs it.

HELENA

Yeah. (Pause. She adjusts her position.) You don't seem very phased by this.

OLIVER
I know. It's just a lot to take in. A fire and an affair in one day makes you want to at least try and stay positive. (Pause.) There's nothing I could have done about it anyways.

HELENA

Why?

OLIVER

Annie and I had a situation a few years back. We don't talk about it that much, but ever since, we haven't been the same.

HELENA

I'm sorry. It must have been really difficult if it…


Scene 4.5


(Tom enters holding the gun pointed at Helena. She backs up)


HELENA

Tom! (Sudden shock.) Tom, please. Put it down.

TOM

No. (He is struggling to talk clearly.)

OLIVER

Tom, listen to her, you don't have to do this. Okay, put it down and lets talk.

TOM

(He swings it over to Oliver.) Be quiet, okay. Just… (Pause. He points it back to Helena.) Helena, I love you. More than anything, you've been the best sister in the world. (Oliver tries to approach Tom from behind but Helena motions for him to stop.) And I know that you're smart and you have a future and that you have more left to do in this world.

HELENA

Thank you, Tom. That means a lot to me. (She is trying to calm him down.)

TOM

If the fire came here, then you would die, because you don't want to leave.

HELENA

I don't think we should assume that its…

TOM

That means your going to die, and I don't want that to happen.

HELENA

Okay. So if you put the gun down we can talk about leaving, right?

TOM

No, this is what's going to protect you.

HELENA

How, Tom? I'm not in any danger. (She slowly moves towards him, trying to be comforting.)

TOM

No, you are. And I'm protecting you from the fire, so you don't have to suffer.

HELENA

Tom? (She realizes he is going to try and kill her.) Whatever your thinking wont help. Okay, it's not okay to do that.

TOM

No! You're wrong. It is okay. I'm the good guy here. I'm here for you. I'm here because I love you and I'm going to save you. Because I give a damn about people unlike the rest of the world. Not Mom, not Dad. Neither of them care. Understand. (The lights fade up in the front yard. Mary walks in slowly.) Do you? (Mary hears this line and becomes startled. She speed walks inside. The living room lights fade up and the front yard lights fade out.)

HELENA

Tom, I'm gonna go inside okay. (She crosses to the house.) We can talk about this there. (Tom tries to shoot her but he misses. Helena begins a sprint into the kitchen towards the living room. Tom follows her, but remains the the back yard only trying to keep her in view. He shoots twice and both shots connect. Helena falls forward, the top half of her body in the living room, the other half off stage.)

(Mary stops in place stunned. Oliver charges Tom. They struggle and another shot is fired. Mary jumps. George and Annie come down stairs. George rushes towards Mary and brings her away from Helena. Annie follows and tries to cover her eyes. She is not crying yet, but is instead shaking. Oliver gets the gun away from Tom and pins him to the ground. He eventually stops struggling. George runs into the bedroom to get a blanket, and covers Helena. He is heard in the kitchen on the phone talking to 9-1-1 facing out to the audience.)
GEORGE

Yes. (Pause.) Armed shooting. (Pause.) One. We think she’s already dead. (Pause.) My daughter. (Pause. He begins to cry.) 17. (He is not able to go on with the conversation that well, and is heard just agreeing to the dispatcher.) Okay, we’ll be here. (He hangs up the phone. He crosses back to Mary and Annie.) I'm going to wait outside for the police. 

(He puts his arms around Mary and walks her out with him. Annie goes and gets the door for them. The lights over the front yard fade up. They enter. Annie sits down in the door, keeping it propped open. Mary slowly walks away from George and is in her own world. She begins to sob uncontrollably. George moves to comfort her, but decides it’s best to let her grieve on her own.)

Act 2

 

Scene 5.0


(The living room is changed into the therapy office. Gene and Mary are the only ones there.


GENE

The most likely reason, however, was the stress he underwent in that one day, combined with the lack of him taking his prescription. With so much going on in just one day, he probably wasn't able to process anything, and acted purely on instinct. That meant his only thoughts were, save my sister, and the fire. (Pause.) The foster care system is an option, and one that I might think would significantly help. Many places have a system for giving prescription drugs, so he won't be able to avoid taking them. Just that will vastly improve his symptoms.

MARY

I think that's the best then. Would you be able to recommend it?

GENE

If that's really what you want. He could use you, especially after all the legal shenanigans. He probably thinks he ruined his entire life. Even the smallest shred of his old life could go a long way. I know George isn't in the picture, and your sister is across the country, but…

MARY
I’m taking care of Lisa for the time being. It’s enough.

GENE

Very well. (He writes on his notepad.) I know you've been through a lot. The death of your daughter and husband is more pain that anyone deserves. (Pause. He hands her a small piece of paper.) These people are excellent to talk to. If you feel up to it, I'd give at least one of them a call. (She takes it, then stands up and walks out into the kitchen. The lights fade, the set is back to the living room, and the lights come up again. There is an orange tint.)


Scene 5.1


(George is sitting alone on the couch. A faint fire crackling sound is played with fire sirens going on in the background. This is to insinuate the fire is approaching the house. Helena is gone, along with Oliver and Tom. Annie is heard walking down stairs slowly. She has her suitcase with her. She crosses the living room and makes a quick glance at George. She keeps walking and exits the living room. The lights do not come on over the front yard.)

(George continues to sit there. He is reflecting on what has happened to him, but not crying. He is determining where he went wrong. He eventually gives up, and relaxes. He knows that his time has come, and he is not afraid to die. A white spotlight appears on him, and is held for a few seconds. He looks up and smiles. A tear falls down his face. The fire and the sirens get louder as all the lights fade. Blackout. The sound begins to fade.)


END OF PLAY



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.