Part of the hussle | Teen Ink

Part of the hussle

June 3, 2019
By Anonymous

Act 1

Scene 1

Location: *In an small apartment, rather a hole in the wall than an apartment. Deep in the city of Chicago, in the morning on a rainy day*


Jordan:

Aaliyah…. Aaliyah baby, wake up. (Lightly shakes Aaliyah)

 

Aaliyah:

(Loudly grunts) No… What time is it?


Jordan:

You gotta get up baby, you’re gonna be late.


Aaliyah:

How are they gonna make me close last night and open the next day?


Jordan:

It’s part of the hussle baby girl, you just gotta keep it going.


Aaliyah:

(Rolls eyes) No, I don’t wanna keep it going.


Jordan:

(Small Sigh) Don’t talk like that b, common


Aaliyah:

No, it’s not fair Jordan. We’re working our asses off and look where it puts us!


Jordan:

It’s not the best baby I know, but look, at least we got a roof over ourselves and we got each other.


Aaliyah:

(Sits up and crosses arms) I know…. But I wish shit was different Jay, I wish we were swimming in cash, I wish we had everything we dreamed of, instead of this shit. I’m working my f’ing ass to get treated like shit by my co-workers and I barely even get paid.


Jordan:

I know baby… I know…

 

Aaliyah:

We gotta do something Jay, we gotta do what we dreamed of.


Jordan:

Baby come on, get up. You ain’t got time to be talkin right now, you gonna be late for real.


Aaliyah:

Boy f you, you ain’t ever listen to what I gotta say.


Jordan:

Aaliyah, I hear you, I’m listening, I wish shit was like that too, but if you’re late and lose this job, we’re f’ed. We’re gonna be on the streets b, shit will be worst than this. So come on, get up, I gotta go to work soon too.


Aaliyah:

Okay.. I’m sorry. I just don’t want shit to stay like this Jordan, I don’t wanna live like this for the rest of my life.


Jordan:

I got you babygirl, I got you. Don’t worry, we’ll be living lavish soon. (Kisses Aaliyah on the forehead and walks away to the bathroom)


Scene 2:

Location: Aaliyah’s job, a small old mexican restaurant located in downtown chicago, business is slow but steady.


Aaliyah:

Good morning Jesus.


Jesus:

You’re late. Again.


Aaliyah:

I closed yesterday, I was very tired this morning, I’m sorry. It won't happen again.


Jesus:

You said that last time mija. It better not happen again. I need to rely on you, not doubt you.


Aaliyah:

I understand and agree. I promise it won’t happen again.


Jesus:

Good. (walks away)


Aaliyah:

(Mutters to herself quietly) F, I hate this job.


Scene 3:

Location: On the blocks of southside Chicago, rain falling down hard.


Jordan:

*Puts up hood and puts his head down as he walks his way to work* Shit ass weather.


Trey:

*Walks behind Jordan* Is that big boy Jay?


Jordan:

(Turns around and shakes up) Trey? Wassup bro! I haven’t seen you in a fat minute, where you been?


Trey:

Yeah, I been tryna stay low g, the feds be looking for me.


Jordan:

The feds? What did ya get yourself into?


Trey:

I been hustlin g, I been hustlin. (Laughs) I be taking cars, takin the parts and fixin new cars up with em. I be makin bank g.


Jordan:

Yeah, how much?


Trey:

Common Jay, you should know better than to ask someone how much they be making.


Jordan:

Well, I'm interested. I wanna help. I need money.


Trey:

*Laughs* You crazy mf. You funny.

Jordan:

I’m for real bro. I need the money, me and my girl are strugglin. I’ll steal the cars for you g, you can stay low and be sellin em parts. We both can get paid.


Trey:

Boy, you ain’t never ever steal some. How the f you gon steal a car for me?


Jordan:

I’ll get a beamer for you. Tomorrow night. Watch.


Trey:

A beamer?? You’re hot g. Ion even be takin expensive cars like that.


Jordan:

Tomorrow night Trey. I can do it.

(Trey stands there staring at him)

Common Trey, think of the money.


Trey:

Ima give you my number. I want you to think this through today and you let me know tomorrow morning if you still wanna go through with it.


Jordan:

I’m telling you right now I am.


Trey:

Jay, this is real shit. This is ain’t go GTA shit. So for real, think about it.


Jordan:

Ight ight, gimme that number. (Hands Trey the iPhone 6 he has and Trey types in number in) Ight bro, I gotta go, I got work. I’ll text you tomorrow morning.


Trey:

Good looks g. Stay safe.

(They shake up and both head their separate ways)

Scene 4:

Location: Back in the small apartment, morning time. Sounds of rain and thunder are the only things to be heard*


Jordan:

*Was up all night, thinking about what to do* Damn bro, do I do it?


Aaliyah:

Boy, who the you talkin to and what in the hell is you doin??

*Sits up, giving a death stare*


Jordan:

I thought you was asleep, what the hell.


Aaliyah:

The thunder woke me up. Now answer the questions.


Jordan:

I was talkin to myself and I was thinkin about finding a different job, that’s all babygirl. (Jordan sighs, it hurts to lie to Aaliyah but he knows she would never let him go through with it)


Aaliyah:

Ugh, me too. I can’t work at that shithole no more, I be wanting to fight everyone! My manager, my co-workers, shit sometimes even the customers. I want to quit but the money.


Jordan:

Okay babygirl, don’t do all that. Just don’t worry about nun, I got us, okay? I promise.


Aaliyah:

*Nods and moves closer to Jordan to cuddle* I love you. Forever and always.


Jordan:

I love you too. (Aaliyah falls asleep again and Jordan grabs his phone and texts Trey)

 

JORDAN: AY BRO, I'M DOWN.

TREY: BET.


Scene 5:

Location: *The inner city late at night, rain is drizzling, the streets are empty and quiet*


Jordan:

*Puts up his hood and walks with his head on* Yo Trey.


Trey:

Hey Jay. You ready for this shit?


Jordan:

*Nods* Of course.


Trey:

Bet. You kno the plan, go do yo shit. *Walks away*


Jordan:

*Puts his ski mask on and hood up and begins to start walking to the BMW* This all for you, babygirl.

*He breaks into the car*


Unrecognized voices:
PUT YOUR HANDS UP!

*Undercover cops have their guns pointed at Jordan*


Jordan:

Relax, relax!


Undercover cop:

GET OUT OF THE VECHILE WITH YOUR HANDS UP!


Jordan:

Okay. *He slowly gets out with his hands still up*


Undercover cop:

Jordan Garcia, you are being arrested for motor vechile theft.


Jordan:

Man, what the hell? *looks around and sees Trey standing with the cops*

Bro, you set me up?


Trey:

I’m sorry Jordan.

Jordan

Nah, shut the up, you fn snitch.


Undercover cop:

Boy, quit yellin.*Puts handcuffs on him and leads him to the car*


Jordan:

I thought I could trust dude, I’m so f’ing stupid. F’ing  snitch, whole ass informant, what the hell.


*****

Jordan ended up, getting locked up for 4 years.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.