Heather | Teen Ink

Heather

SeleneChannaryJannaliBlackburn, Dallas, Texas

Heather

I never really appreciated my mom or my best friend. That was before the accidents that killed them both. They were 2 different accidents. Both just as deadly. It was winter when it happened. Me and my friend, Amy, were going home, we had just finished watching a movie. Then, out of nowhere some guy was driving the opposite direction. We crashed. The police found us. I was the only survivor. I was in shock for at least 2 weeks after they told me. 1 month passed, my classmates bullied me said I killed her on purpose. Wouldn’t go out of my room but, it got worse my mom started feeling bad so we went to the doctor. I was told to stay in the waiting room, so I did. She walked out crying. The doctor called me in. He explained to me what my mom had ,just what I didn’t want to hear. Cancer. He said it was too late to do anything about it. I started sobbing.

Next day was a school day. Somehow someone knew about my mom, I guess someone spilled it to the whole school because as soon as I walked into my first class everyone looked at me weird. At lunch, a girl just walked up to me and said that no wonder I’m so lonely I killed Amy. I suddenly bursted into tears. Memory of her. Amy. My best friend. The girl that always stuck by my side.That girl was right I was lonely or, soon to be lonely. My mother was already dying. The doctor said she only had 1 to 2 weeks to live. So I decided to make the most of it. We started to travel a lot. She loved it when we spended time together.But, after three weeks . . . She passed away. I had no other family to go to so I did what I could do. I ran away.

I was living in the street. One day I went to the food joint. I needed to be quick because the only way I would survive in the streets was to get food, and the only I could get was from food stores meaning I would have to steal because I DON'T have any money. I was picking out what to steal when this guy was looking at me, I looked at him back. He immediately looked away from me. I put the poptart in my coat and speed-walked out of there.

A few days later I go back. That dude from last time was still there. I ignored him. I chose a soda and another poptart. He caught me. Said he knew I was stealing that he was going to tell the manager. But, his jacket caught my eye. There was something in there. I got my hand and pulled his jacket. A can of beans fell out of his jacket.Then, I caught him . He was speechless. We bickered back and forth saying which one of us would get in trouble but, at some point we stopped. Mostly because we got kicked out. He told me his story, I told him mine. We actually got along . We decided to stick together after all, two heads are better than one.

Turns out he was really nice. He was a run away too. He had gotten in a fight so, they called his mother. He didn't want to go home back to her. I guess in away we had something in common. We both felt like outcasts . . . Like we didn't belong. I guess since Amy’s death I haven't found a real friend. Here in Cleveland High School is hard to make REAL friends and, I think I just found one.
He said everyone thinks I’m missing. I just told him I needed time for myself. After, my mom died I haven’t been myself lately. Then, we heard gunshots. We ducked for cover behind some trash cans. Our eyes locked again. It was like being back in that food joint. Then the gunshots stopped, we also heard police sirens, so we knew we were safe. We should probably go I said. Umm …. Yeah he responded, but for some reason we stayed there looking at each other. When we finally stood up is because of the time. It was becoming dawn, so we quickly gathered our stolen food. Where you going? To sleep I mean I asked in a calm normal voice. I don’t know, you?  I'm going back home to get my stuff maybe sleep there for today then off to the streets again. You can come with me for today. Yeah thanks he said.
When  we got got back to my house he laid his stuff down, even offered to carry my stuff but I said no. I put all of our stuff in the counter. A few minutes later Prince asked me if I really killed my best friend. I said no, even explained what happened. It was like reliving that day all over. I felt like tears were about to fall like a waterfall. I need to pack my stuff I said quickly, and I ran to my room. He ran after me and said that he didn’t mean to make me uncomfortable, he just wanted to know---To know for himself. I understood I mean I would have done the same thing. 
Later that day we went for a walk to relax ourselves, but then, I saw a garden and I knew where I was going to go with my spare time. I of course, knew what I was going to plant. A peach tree, because peaches were Amy’s favorites. Even Prince made fun of me because I was gardening, but I even recommended it because it was a good way to let go of hate. For the first time he listened.