Not Your Average Love Story | Teen Ink

Not Your Average Love Story

By itspmink, Makanda, Illinois
itspmink, Makanda, Illinois

Glass is shattered on the floor. Neighbors are trying to sleep but the screaming can be heard from blocks. Everyone is looking at them.  
“Why would you say that out loud?!” screams Marie. 
“I thought everyone already knew considering you’ve done it to everyone!” Chase blurted loud enough for everyone in the state could hear. 
A gasp broke out throughout the house. The best couple in high school, now fighting at a party. Marie looked around in embarrassment. Tears filled her eyes. They broke over the edge and then she was nowhere to be found.  

The next morning, Chase woke up with his cracked screen filled with notifications. Marie had drunk texted him throughout the night. He was scrolling through them and he was more and more heart broken as his eyes processed the words through the spiderweb on his phone. The words “Im. Done,” at the bottom of his screen. Chase gets up and shuffles to the bathroom. He throws open the medicine cabinet and finds the oxycodone he was prescribed for his surgery. They’ve been sitting there for months. He didn’t need them anymore: not until now. He opens the bottle and pours a few pills in his mouth. He looks in the mirror and swallows his sadness and his pills. He mopes in the bathroom for a bit and then stumbles back into his room. His head was spinning, but he liked it. Then everything went black.1

Waking up, Chase’s head had a heartbeat. It was 8 at night. He didn’t remember anything. His blond hair is messy, and his skinny, tall frame is sore. His deep, brown eyes now bloodshot. In confusion, He checked his phone and found that he had responded to the break up texts. Not only that, but someone had private messaged him. A big artist had texted him and wanted Chase to go on tour with him as an opening act. He was filled to the brim with joy. Jumping around in joy, the drugs hit him again and he began to throw up. After cleaning up his mess, he texted his friends and told them the good news. Julio was the first one to respond.  
“Dude, this is great! You have to go,” Julio cheered. 
“I know ghee. I'm texting him right now. Imma see if you and a couple others can go too,” Chase responded. “I’ll hit your line when I get answers.” 
They hung up the phone and Chase sat waiting for answers. Two hours passed, and he finally got an answer. Him and three of his closest friends were going on tour. He texted Julio, Derrick, and Stephan. They packed their bags, told the news to their parents, and met up at Julio’s house. They couldn’t wait. They booked their hotels that night and were ready for the plane ride the next night. The three friends woke up to see Chase puking. They asked him what was wrong, but he just said he was nervous. They stayed up to make sure he was ok and when he was, they went back to bed

When arriving in L.A., the rapper had a limo outside waiting for them. They loaded their luggage after Chase ran to the bathroom and headed off to the hotel. The whole ride, Chase got quieter and quieter. Him and the rapper started talking business, and then they started smoking. Everyone in that limo got very high. Especially Chase. They arrived at the hotel and stumbled inside. They unpacked and got comfortable before talking more business. Chase took a nap to make sure he was ready for the concert. When the day came around, Julio noticed he had been acting strange. He searched through Chase’s bags and found bottles of Vicodin along with Xanax. There would be a conversation that night.  
The concert was lit though. Chase performed his top songs and there were people that knew all the words. He didn’t know that he was famous. He had plays, but not that many. People started cheering during the last song. Mosh pits broke out. Chase started screaming and they all yelled with him. The song finished, and the rapper came out. Backstage, Chase checked his Instagram and Soundcloud and noticed that he had gained a pretty big following. His friends came backstage after a couple of songs and Chase was stuck in his chair. Julio knew what was happening. He slapped him and woke him up. 
“What the f is wrong with you?” Julio yelled furiously. 
“What do you mean?” Chase slurred 
“You’re high. You been poppin pills ghee.” 
“I'm just tired. Leave me alone,” Chase claimed. 
Julio gazed into Chase’s dilated eyes. He was high.  
“If you don’t stop Chase, we gonna have problems.” 
“Whatever,” Chase sighed 

At the hotel, Chase purposed to record a song to perform at the next concert. The headlined rapper agreed, and they got to work. They finished the song around 3 A.M. and went to sleep. They would perform this new song in around 15 hours. When everyone woke up, they went out to eat before the meet and greets. They stuffed themselves full. Performing would be a hell of a time with how much everyone ate. After eating, preparation for the concert took place. That included taking a nap, getting dressed, and rehearsing lyrics. 30 minutes went by and Chase was nowhere to be found. Derrick checked everywhere. Julio called his phone and got voicemail. Even Stephan checked odd places. They all went to the dressing room just to be sure.  
They could hear music, but it was coming from the closet. They threw open the door and found Chase with his eyes rolled back in his head. A message was on his iPhone. It was from his ex-girlfriend Marie. It read “Babe I want you back. I'm sorry.” He was famous, and everyone knew it. So, she crawled back to him and he couldn’t handle that right before a big concert. A bottle of empty Vicodin was in his other hand. He overdosed. I couldn't have been suicide. He was enjoying life. He did it to forget. 
The concerts went on without him. They didn’t play anymore of his songs. Chase’s fame froze where it was. His world at a standstill. When news of Chase’s death went viral, His plays boosted but he was shortly forgotten. Marie felt terrible and Chase’s mother sued. She won but would soon go crazy. Julio went on to become a singer and Derrick, a rapper. Stephan mourned for a good few years but went on with life. Within 10 years. The world forgot about Chase completely. He was just another statistic.