Regretful Choices | Teen Ink

Regretful Choices

By LexF__ BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
LexF__ BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Summary:

The thunderous, growling of the storm echoes through the windows of the empty home.  The torment that ‘self-reflect’ brings upon the mind of a selfish being.  The boy who cried wolf, cried far too many times.  Now only the walls hear his remorse.  A picture of what once was, there to remind him of his regret.

A powerfully beaming light, from the full sun, shines in through the blinds of the windows.   Today was a day different from the others.  Beckham and his friend David, laying around in his living room.  Both pondering ideas for Beckham’s upcoming 18th birthday bash.

“This party has to be the best anyone has ever seen!”   Beckham shouted joyfully.

“And we’ll definitely make that happen, because, you have your best friend in the world, to make all of it come true.”  David points his index finger to himself, a wide grin expressed across his face. 

“I know!  And the best part is there won’t be any parents chaperoning either!”  No one telling me what I can, or can’t do” Beckham slowly raises both of his hands and places them behind his head.

The two continue thinking of ideas.  Minutes later, an ear piercing ringtone, screams from Beckham’s phone.

“Ugh!  We will continue discussing this later. We have to head to class.”  Beckham says, as he sluggishly rises from the couch.

Once Beckham and David make it to the parking lot of the school.  He is soon after, greeted with “happy birthdays” from students.  Some in which he has never even spoken to before.

“Someone’s popular.” David whispers to himself

“Of course I am.” Beckham replies “When you have the full package of being, the captain of the football team and an amazingly good-looking guy; being popular is an add-on.”

“Riiighht!” David says, sarcastically.

“I’m the guy people always want to be around, don’t be jelly, my dude! In fact, be lucky that you have a friend as awesome as me.”  Beckham says cheerfully, as he nudges David in the side, with his elbow.

Finally, the boys make it to their class and immediately takes their seats.  Not too far into class, Beckham feels a tap on his shoulder; he turns around a bit alarmed.

“That’s it!” David whispers

“What’s what?” Beckham replies

“Why don’t we do a football themed party?  We can invite all of the boys from the team AND the cheerleaders!  I’ll drop off my things at my crib and then I can make it to your house, before the party starts, to help set everything up!”  David says, as his excitement is unquestionably showing through his face.

“That actually sounds awesome!  Let’s do it!” agrees Beckham.

After classes are over, the two split ways and Beckham heads back to his house.  A few hours later, Beckham is dressed, feeling very confident as he appears in front of a mirror, many times.

“I’d hate to be anyone else.”  Beckham says, as he fixes his hair.

Suddenly, a knock at the door, slightly disturbs Beckham.  He takes his time to answer it, walking at a slow-moving pace.  When he swings open the wooden door, David, revealed to be on the other side.

“What took you so long, man!”  Beckham shouts, as he straightens up his belt.

“Chill out” says David, “I just wanted to give you my birthday present early.  Before everyone else.”

David holds into Beckham’s view, something rectangular, wrapped up in ocean blue wrapping paper.

“Oh! Thanks, man!”  Beckham says excitedly.

He viciously tears apart the wrapping paper, to uncover a picture of the two, when they were kids.

“NOW! Before you say anything, I want to explain the present..” David says. “This was the day we tried out for little league football… Anyways, on that day, I felt like I was holding you back… It was obvious that you were the better player and everyone knew it… But YOU ignored them.  You told me that you wouldn’t have won if I wasn’t there… YOU made me feel like I actually did good.. That day really made me realize how glad I am, to call you my best friend.”

“This is all? A picture is what I get for being your ‘best friend’?” Beckham asks as his eyebrows furrow in disappointment.

“What do you mean? Asks David, his face falls with sadness from Beckham’s response. “It came from the heart, Dude!”

“I don’t want anything from the heart! I want something that can actually be useful to me! What can I do with a picture?” Beckham asks, while scratching his head in frustration.

David’s face turns blood red, his hands ball up to his sides and his eyes begin to appear teary.

“What happened to you!? You treat everyone like trash nowadays! You fail to realize that the only reason people act nice to your face, is because of me.   Just wait until I tell them not to show … I had faith that maybe this was just a phase, but I am beginning to think this is really how you are.  Enjoy your birthday alone.”

David makes his way towards the front door.  Millions of memories flashing through Beckham’s head, all at once.  All will soon just be memories with no meaning.  Memories that he did not do his best to cherish.  Now Beckham stands alone, in silence and watches as David disappears.

Alexis F.

Regretful Choices