Mother Knows best | Teen Ink

Mother Knows best

May 9, 2017
By NickT1823, Foristell, Missouri
More by this author
NickT1823, Foristell, Missouri
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

It was a class assignment 

The author's comments:

Its a short story so there is a little bit after this but not much 

PASTIME: MY GRANDPA’s POV
**************
“ Sweep the porch and make sure the living room is tidied up. Those people who live down the road are coming by to talk your dad and I this afternoon, and we don’t want to look like pigs.”
“ Yes ma'am.” I said as I began searching the room for the broom. 
“ Where’s the broom Barb?” I asked my younger sister.
“ Don't know, don't care. Mom didn't ask me to sweep...” She replied with the usual attitude she always gave me.
“ Whatever.” I said sighing and walking out to the garage. I scanned the garage a couple times. Suddenly I noticed something glistening under the many bags of leaves we had in our garage. I walked over to it and began removing the leaf bags that covered it. Once the object was clear I realized it was the broom! The glistening was coming from the metal silver ring that was wrapped around brooms bristles to keep them together. I continued to uncover the broom until it was completely free of leaf bags. I grabbed it by its wooden stick and carried it through the house and outside to the porch. I began sweeping all of the debris off of the porch. It was so quiet outside that found myself getting lost in my thoughts. I just kept sweeping and thinking about the chores I had to do afterwards, and the unfairness that my mother presented by not making my younger sister do any of the chores. Getting frustrated I began to sweep the porch with more force, letting my emotions slide through the broom and attack the porch. Not long after sweeping vigorously, I started to realize just how hot it was. Although it was fall, we were in Texas, so naturally it was pretty warm and everyday I  have to come outside and do all of the outdoor chores even though I have 2 healthy siblings that could help me… I was sweeping the porch for a couple minutes when a beat up, rusty, mud green, pickup truck began to approach my house. I assumed it was the neighbors that were scheduled to come over today. Their truck was spitting out gravel everywhere as they sped down our gravel road. They stopped in front of the house. A middle aged gentleman, and a younger woman got out of the car. I stopped sweeping and opened up the front door, “ Mom our guests are here!” I informed her.
“ Ok.” She replied as she walked towards the door and came to stand outside with me.
“ Hello Hazel,” Said the lady. “ I haven’t seen you in forever, we really need to get together more!"
“ Yes Elizabeth we do, and how are you Robert?” Asked my mother.
“ I’m pretty good Hazel. Is Peter here?” Said Robert in a deep scratchy voice, looking past my mother rudely.
“ He’s in the living room. Come on let’s go inside. David, you can come in now you've done a good job on the porch.”
“ Thank you mother.” I said nodding. 
“ Such a polite young man.” Elizabeth whispered into my mother's ear at we walked into the house. My mother just nodded.
"Peter, Robert and Liz are here. Ya'll can take a seat anywhere you want, and David will you go prepare plates for dinner?”
“Yes ma’am.” I mumbled as I walked to the kitchen. Elizabeth and Robert made themselves comfortable on our couch, while my father sat in his recliner and my mother sat in her rocker. I began fiddling around with plates and food when I heard my mother ask, “ So Liz, I’m kind of confused on why you guys are here. On the phone you said you needed to talk with Peter and I, but what it is it about?”
“ Yes,” Replied Elizabeth. “ Well Robert and I are planning on starting a family here soon, and as you know we live in that tiny down the road, with no backyard or anything. And nowadays trying to find a decent place to live is by far easy..”
“ Well congratulations on starting a family, and as for your living arrangement how could I help you with that..?” My mother asked confused.
“ Well Robert, and I were wondering if maybe you would be willing to sell you property to us, or maybe even half of it… I mean you guys have 80 acres, and we could both easily manage with 40 acres apiece.” Elizabeth stated. My mother’s jaw slightly dropped and I could see it in her eyes that she was fighting to keep her mouth closed as much as possible.
“ I don’t think so.. I mean Peter how would you feel about that?” Asked my mother. My father sat  in silence obviously thinking about what my mother and our neighbors were asking them.
“ Well this was my grandma’s property before mine.. and I just don’t think it would be right to sell it, or even half of it out of the family’s name.” Explained my father.
“ Yes but it would be honorable thing to do..” Chimed in Robert.
“ We just won’t do it, ” Said my mother. "It's not right."
        “ Unbelievable!” Shouted Elizabeth. “ You guys have so much property that you aren't even using

and you couldn't share it?!” My mother stood up and began yelling at Elizabeth, then Robert stood up

and began yelling at my mother. My father then stood up and began yelling at Robert. It was a chain

reaction that led to a room full of arguing angry people. I just sat there shocked starting out the window

listening to it all as I washed dishes in the sink. As I sat staring out of the window I noticed the wind
starting to pick up drastically. The sunny day had turned to a gloomy cloudy day, and the thermometer slowly began to drop degrees. The adults just kept arguing though, it was as if I was the only one on Earth any more, because I was the only one noticing what was going on outside of the arguing. All of a sudden, the door flew open, and the windows began to open and close violently. Cold air rushed in and the adults got quiet. The windows continued to open and close over and over again as everyone sat in complete silence.
“ I think it’s-it’s time for us to-to go Robert.” Elizabeth stuttered, and suddenly the windows stopped moving, and the whole room warmed up. Everyone was in complete silence once more when Robert said,” I agree completely Liz..” The two of them walked themselves out of the house and sped once more down our gravel driveway.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.