We Were On Our Way to Somewhere | Teen Ink

We Were On Our Way to Somewhere

By ZealousHeart, St. Joseph, Missouri
ZealousHeart, St. Joseph, Missouri

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.

What is it that makes a moment a moment? What is it that clicks in our brains and makes us say: this, this right here, this sequence of events, means something now? What is it that makes us store it in our memories and recall it when the time is right? For laughter, for tears, for an argument we can’t win. If I knew the answer to this, then maybe I could have known how to look out for the signs. Maybe I could have saved myself the heartache—saved us both the heartache, Jed and I. Although I doubt that he’s feeling any heartache right now. I doubt that he’s feeling much of anything.
The sky has turned to a lighter shade of blue. That color that comes right before the sun rises. I’ve watched it transform through my bedroom window. The same way I’ve watched my alarm clock shave away the hours of the night. Sleep wasn’t really an option for me that night. I was too anxious about today; too scared of that blissful moment upon waking, where I forget who I am, who Jed is, and everything that happened leading up to today. I was too scared of reality crushing me all over again.
My alarm clock reads 8:23. I know that it will go off in seven minutes, and that I should just turn it off now seeing as I’m not asleep, but I can’t find myself to do it. I just lie in my bed—paralyzed and hoping to stay that way. Watching the red lines change shapes into different numbers, I feel as if this is some kind of countdown that I’m afraid to see the end of, but still I can’t look away. The alarm starts buzzing when it hits 8:30, but I don’t move to stop it. I just lie there until 8:30 turns into 8:33 then into 8:37. Finally at 8:39 my mom walks into my room, shuts the alarm off, and then turns to sit on my bed. “Sweetheart.” She says pushing the hair out of my face. “Did you get any sleep?” I remain silent, my eyes glued to my window. The sun had just started to peek through the horizon. “I know this is hard, but we’re going to get through this together.” If I had the energy I would’ve scoffed at her pathetic attempt at parenting. “Do it for Jed. This is his day.” I look up at her like that’s the dumbest thing she’s ever said to me, which it probably is. “He’s dead, mom. This isn’t his day. It’s his funeral.” She stares back at me hurt, but I don’t have time to feel any kind of sorry for her. “I’m sorry, sweetie. I didn’t mean it like that.” She pats me on the leg, and then gets up to leave. Something she’s good at. “We’re leaving in an hour.” She says before disappearing through my doorway.
Because my mom had burst through my shelter of denial, I had no choice but to get out of bed. Laying on the back of my desk chair was my funeral dress. Black, knee length, and a size too small. My mom had bought it for me when I refused to find one myself. It was snug, but I could deal with it for a few of hours. Staring in to the mirror, I went to tie my hair into a bun then I remembered that Jed always said I looked like a sister wife when I did that, so I just left it down. I put on my shoes then walk downstairs knowing my parents won’t be ready for a while. Upstairs I can hear Dad’s heavy footsteps shuffling around, and I can tell he’s searching for his watch. He’s always losing it. I stare at the couch in our living room and remember that the last time I sat there was with Jed and his best friend Tyler.
“Come on, man. We have to watch it.” says Tyler.
“I don’t know, Ty. Laura hates that movie, and I’ve never really wanted to see it.” responds Jed.
“How can you hate Star Wars?” Tyler asks surprised.
I shrug my shoulders at him. “It bores me.”
“’It bores me’ she says. This is a movie that everyone has to see before they die.” He turns back towards Jed then. “You don’t want to lie on your deathbed regretting not watching Star Wars with your best friend.”
“Ahem.” I fake clearing my throat.
“And you’re girlfriend.” Tyler adds. He and Jed share a serious look that I can’t decipher, and then Jed turns towards me with a smile. “Mind taking one for the team?”
I sigh overdramatically and roll my eyes. “If you insist.” Jed leans over and kisses me on the cheek. “Love you.”

The sound of my mom’s heels on the stairs pulls me out of my memory. “Ready?” she asks. “I was ready twenty minutes ago.” My mom looks slightly annoyed, but recovers herself. “Your father will be down any minute. Let’s wait in the car.” We head out to the car and Dad joins us a few minutes later. The drive to the church is a long one. Leaning my head against the window, I watch the scenery go by. First the houses that all look alike then the cars on the highway, and then the trees in the forests. Apparently Jed’s parents wanted his funeral to be in the middle of nowhere.
We finally arrive at a white church. The parking lot filled with cars—filled with more people than I thought Jed even knew. My parents and I head into the church and I pick an aisle seat near the back. A few minutes later, once everyone that seems to be coming has taken their seats, the preacher starts the service. I keep my eyes focused on the yearbook picture of Jed resting on the tri-pod. His bright green eyes, his light brown hair coiffed to perfection—I know he probably spend at least half an hour trying to get that perfect swirl—his lips that moved and formed that lazy smile. This is what I focused on instead of what lie to the right of it. a mahogany coffin that held those green eyes that would never open again, that hair would never be styled again, and those lips that would never move.
The pastor finishes his sermon then opens up the floor for his friends and family to speak. Jed’s parents walk up next and barely manage to make it through their speech about how he’s in a better place now watching over all of us from above, and I don’t know if that makes me feel better or worse. A few more family members talk about their memories of Jed and what a great kid he was and how it’s such a shame that the good die young. The whole time my eyes are glued to his year book picture until they aren’t—until they wander over a few feet to the right and see it, see him lying there, lifeless. It almost looks like he’s sleeping, but I know that he’s not. Suddenly the room stars to feel too small and my dress feels like vice grip. Everything around me starts to blur and the noises sound like a muffled mess. My mom rests a hand on top of mine and whispers something to me, but I can’t understand it. I can’t understand any of it. I shoot up from my seat and rush out of the church.
Grateful that my parents didn’t follow me, I sit down behind a fence leaning my head against it then I breathe. I sit there and I just breathe, but before I know it tears escape my eyes and I’m sobbing. Jed was gone. I brought my knees up to my chest hugging them. There was no more denying it. He was truly and utterly dead. The sobs came out thick and heavy, making it harder for me to breathe. Almost like in the church, but worse. I sit there for about ten minutes before I can calm myself down. Once I stop hiccupping, I dry my eyes and hope that they’re not too puffy. Suddenly a figure emerges to my right, blocking out the sun. “Was it an open casket?” he asks. I look up at him, but he’s obscured by the sun behind him. Holding up my hand to block out the sun, I squint to see if I recognize this guy. He certainly doesn’t sound familiar. He realizes my dilemma and moves in front of me so I can get a clear view.
“I always hate open caskets.” He says. He looks about my age. Medium build with short dirty blond hair. He has his hands in the pockets of his black suit pants. His funeral suit pants. “Do I know you?” I ask. He shakes his head. “Not unless I’m the man from your dreams.” I look at him disbelieved. “Are you seriously hitting on me right now?” “Hardly.” He says. “I’m gay, so, you know, ew.” I scoff at him. “So, what are you doing here.” I ask. “Well, I just came from a funeral myself and I saw sitting over here, crying, and I don’t know. I just wanted to talk to you.” I stare at my hands in my lap not sure of what to say next. “So was it open casket or not.” “Why do you keep asking that?” I snap. He shrugs. “Those are always the worst. The kind that can make a person rush out of a church crying.” “I wasn’t crying.” I say. “Really.” He says pointing to his eyes. I brush away imaginary tears and then turn my head to the right—somewhere near the horizon. “You know when I saw you. I had this crazy thought in my head that we could be funeral buddies.” I look up at him, my eyebrows raised. “Funeral buddies?” he looks down at me un-phased. ”Weird right.” “Right. I have to get back.” I say. “But you don’t want to.” I stop momentarily. He was right. I didn’t want to go back, but I didn’t want to stay with him either, so I kept walking. “Hey.” He calls out after me. I turn around to face him. “Who did you lose?” I think for a moment, wondering if I should tell him then I thought why not. “My boyfriend.” I say. “Me too.” He nods slightly contemplating something. “What was his name?” he ask. “Jed.” “Mine’s was Jeremy.” He says. “Are you really going to go back?” Before I have a chance to answer the church doors open and the pall bearers emerge holding Jed’s casket. “You know when my alarm went off this morning, I had this brief moment when I thought I’ll just let this buzz forever. I’ll just lie here and here and lit it buzz, but then, of course, I got sick of the noise and chucked it out my bedroom window.” I turn back towards him then. “Did you do anything like that?” I shake my head. “No, I just let it buzz.” He smiles to himself like this is some private joke we share. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my parents emerging from the church. I give him a look that says I better get going. “Guess I’ll see around then, buddy.”
Rejoined with my parents, I start to feel that sense of panic creeping in again, but this time I have nowhere to run. My dad squeezes my shoulder as Jed’s casket is lowered into the ground.
Jed always said that he wanted to sink into oblivion—likening it to infinity. But there was something Jed didn’t understand about oblivion. Sure, he was right that it meant infinity, but what he didn’t understand was that it meant an infinity of non-existence, an infinity of nothing; where you have no face, no name, no identity, just a shell floating off into the void. In the end, Jed got exactly what he wanted. Here he was being lowered into oblivion, into nothing.

After the funeral my parents insist that we head over to Jed’s house for the wake, even though I don’t want to go. I’d had enough of it all for the day, but we went despite my protests. Once we enter the house, I see Jed’s parents sitting pitifully on opposite sides of the couch accepting condolences. My mom drags me along to offer some of ours to his mom. “Diana.” My mom says cupping his mom’s hands in her own. “I can’t tell you how sorry I am about Jed. He was such a sweet boy.” She tries giving a smile of gratitude, but just misses the mark. My mom gives her hands a squeeze. “If there’s anything you need, anything at all.” Jed’s mom nods and we turn to leave. “Laura.” She says catching me by surprise. “Yes, Mrs. Macintyre.” “Could you tell me that quote that Jed loves? I can’t seem to remember it.” I don’t need to try hard to figure out which one she’s talking about. I know it by heart. “This isn’t the end. This isn’t even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.” She closes her. “Churchill, right?” “Yeah.” I say quietly. “I wish you’d spoken at the funeral.” She says. Not knowing how to respond, I just give her a small smile. She accepts it and I make my way out of the living room.
In the sun room, I see our friends—Jed and I’s. Hannah, my oldest friend, waves me over. She wraps her arms around me and squeezes. I return the gesture. No one else moves to hug me. They all know Hannah is the only one who can get away with this. I pull up a seat with the rest of them. Lacey and Kelsey, who I’ve known since middle school. Levi, Decker, Adeline, all Jed’s friends who’ve I’ve only known for the past two years. And, of course, there was Tyler. I thought that he’d be hit hardest by all of this, but he was just sitting there fiddling with his guitar. Same as usual.
Everyone else sat around the table awkwardly silent. Not knowing where to look. Adeline and Kelsey accidently make eye contact with each other then immediately star giggling. Everyone else forcefully chuckles. Everyone, but me and Tyler. “It’s weird, isn’t it?” states Levi. “When are the seven of us ever quiet?” “I know, right.” Agrees Lacey. We all nod then go back to being silent. Decker sighs and slaps both his hands on his things. “Ty, why don’t you play something? This is getting depressing.” “God forbid we get depressed.” I interject. “It’s not like we’re at a funeral.” Decker slaps me on the back smiling. “That’s the spirit, Laura.” Crossing my arms, I feel a frown growing on my face. “She was kidding, Deck.” Says Adeline. “Don’t worry, Addie. I know. This is Laura we’re talking about.” The frown starts to turn into a scowl the more Decker talks. He was the only one of Jed’s friends that I didn’t like. Despised, really, is the word for it. I despised him.
Ty coughs to distract from the tension and to get our attention onto him. He tunes his guitar then starts strumming. After the first chord I can already tell what song it is. It was Jed’s favorite. He had it ready to go anytime we drove anywhere. I felt a pang in my heart, right where Jed used to be. Anna starts singing once it gets to the chorus.
And I find it kind of funny
And I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I’m dying
Are the best I ever had
Something about that chorus strikes something in me. The dreams in which I’m dying. In which I’m dying. I look over to Tyler thinking about that last night on my couch. You don’t want to lie on your deathbed regretting not watching Star Wars with your best friend. Suddenly it starts to click for me. Tyler notices me staring at him, but I don’t take my eyes off of him. He knew. He must have. His brows furrow when I don’t take my gaze off of him. The anger settles deep inside me, and suddenly I hate the sight of his face. Almost as much as Decker.
“You knew.” I say, but he doesn’t quite hear me. “You knew!” I say louder. Practically yelling, really. “And you didn’t say anything.” Anna stops singing and everyone’s eyes rest on me. “Laura. What’s wrong?” asks Hannah. Fueled by this revelation, I slowly step over towards him. “The whole time you knew.” I whisper. I’m standing only a foot away from him. “And now you’re just sitting there playing your f*ing guitar, like you’re always playing your f*ing guitar” His guitar rests in his immobile hands—his stupid guitar.
His stupid mahogany guitar. The same as Jed’s coffin. Dead and rotting. The same as Jed.
I rip the guitar from his hands and smash on the floor, until it’s just a mess splintered wood and steel guitar strings. My dad rushes into the room, grabs me by the shoulders, and pushes me out to front door to the car.
As I leave I can still see Tyler’s face. An expression of confusion, anguish, and anger rests upon it. We’re almost mirror images of each other.
“What happened?” asks my Dad once we’re in the car. “I didn’t like the song he was playing.” He stares at me incredulously. Running his hands through his hair, he sighs at me frustrated. “I know you’re hurting right now, but that behavior is unacceptable.” “Oh, is it? Thanks for reminding me, Dad.” I respond snidely. “You’re buying that boy a new guitar.” He says. “Am I?” I say. “Yes, you are.” He says firmly. “Just remember, sweetheart. You are not the only one who lost Jed. Everyone in that room lost him too. Including you’re friend.” He stares at me hoping his message sunk. I turn towards the window to avoid his stare. “Jed’s friend, Dad. Ty is Jed’s friend.” He sighs again then turns back towards the windshield. “Was.” He mutters. A lump forms in my throat at the sound of this, and suddenly I hate my father more than I ever have. Forcing the lump down, I shut my eyes to stop the tears before they have a chance to fall.

Once we get home, I stomp my way upstairs and slam every door I can. While I try taking off my dress, the zipper gets stuck. I get so frustrated with it that I grab the nearest pair of scissors and cut myself out of it. I know it would have just been easier to ask my mom for help, but the dress was too small anyway and the thought of having it my closet was worse than any funeral I could have worn it to. Immediately it goes into my waste basket never to be seen again. Out of my closet, I grab Jed’s old hoodie. Wrapped inside it, I could almost feel Jed’s arms around me again. I lie on my bed sobbing like I did outside the church this morning. Through my window, I can see the sun starting to set and the sky starting to change to that uncertain shade of blue. In front of it my alarm clock shaves off the hours of the day.

I miss a week of school after Jed’s funeral. That’s all I was allowed. Anything more than that and I would be behind and no one want’s that to happen. No one wants a senior to get behind in all their blow off classes. It’s not like I had enough credit to graduate last semester, but I had to stick around because…well, just because I suppose.
I get in my car then head over to Hannah’s. The car put in park, I text Hannah that I’m outside. She emerges from her front door a couple of minutes later. “You have no idea how glad I am to have you back.” She says climbing into the passenger seat. “You mean my car.” I say. “Well, I am glad about the car, but mostly you.” I look at her skeptically. “Mostly.” She says unconvincingly. I smile putting the car in drive. “You ready to go back?” she asks. “Do I have a choice.” I respond. “I guess not.” She says. She fiddles with the vent trying to get the right amount of heat out. “Decker’s been an ass.” She says. “What’s new?” I scoff. “Well, Tyler hasn’t been playing his guitar.” Her gaze bores into the side of my face. “What a shame.” I say dryly. “You’re seriously not going to tell me what happened?” I remain silent. “Sometimes you worry me, Laura.” Her along with everyone else. “You said he knew something. What did he know?” Ignoring her, I keep my eyes firmly planted on the road. “Hello, Laura.” We come to a stop sign and I turn towards her with my most reassuring face. “Don’t worry, Hannah Banana. I’m fine.” “I never asked if you were okay.” She says shifting her gaze towards the road. “No,” I say. “I guess you didn’t.”

Hannah and I go our separate ways once we get in school. I muddle my way through the first three periods until lunch brings me my reprieve. As soon as the bell rings, I head to the court yard and see my friends sitting in our usual spot, but then I remember the funeral and Tyler’s guitar and decide maybe it’s better that I don’t join them. I turn around abruptly and smack into someone. “Sorry.” I say briefly looking up. “Funeral buddy.” Says the person I slammed into. I look up to see that it’s the same guy from the cemetery. “You’re shitting me.” I say. “What are the chances.” He says. “Yeah, what are they?” I ask skeptically. “You go here.” He scoffs at this. “No. I’m here to pick up my little brother.” He points towards the court yard. “No.” I say disbelieved. “Decker.” He nods. “You’re Decker’s brother, Dylan.” I say. “You’re Decker’s gay older brother who’s in college.” He smiles at the description. “That’s me.” “What are you doing back home?” “Well,” he says. “I came for a funeral, and then I found it kind of hard to leave.” He looks at me suddenly excited, like something just clicked in his brain. “Wait a minute. Are you the bitchy girlfriend?” “He called me bitchy?” I say seething. “Did I say bitchy, because what I meant was a ray of sunshine. He called you a ray of sunshine.” I frown at him. “Hey,” he says punching my shoulder. I guess that was genetic thing. “You can’t be mad at me. We’re funeral buddies.” “Don’t say that. We’re not funeral buddies.” I say. “You say tomato….” He says looking over towards court yard where Decker waves him over. “I got to go, let’s continue this some other time.” Then he was off to meet Decker.

After Dylan leaves, I decided to spend lunch in the library. I wasn’t really that hungry anyway, plus I had some work to catch up on. Albeit meaningless work. Automatically I walk over to the corner table where Jed and I used to sit during our free block. The realization of this doesn’t hit me until I set bag down in the seat where Jed used to sit. Suddenly the thought of getting any work done seems laughable—if I was in any mood for laughing.

Almost reflexively, I reach into my bag and take out a piece of construction paper. Guided by months of experience, my hands automatically begin folding it into a paper crane. It was something I always did with Jed. I never really could focus when he was around, so I folded cranes instead while Jed struggled over some Calculus homework. I’d fold and he’s erase his problems over and over again, burning a hole through the paper. I’d fold so many cranes that they would fill the table top, frustrating Jed until he eventually stuffed them in his backpack. He must have accumulated hundreds of them over the years; thousands, maybe. The bell rings for fourth block and I pack my stuff to leave. I look over the table top left covered in a pile of origami; no one to clear away the mess. I shove them all into my backpack, but somehow the feeling isn’t the same. A thousand crushed cranes and not a single one of them brought peace.

The rest of the day goes by in a blur of kids shuffling to class, paper shuffling on desk tops, and time creeping by as slowly as it knows how. When the last bell rings, I skip, jump, and gallop my way to the parking lot. Hannah meets me a few minutes later with questions about why I wasn’t at lunch. I explain that I had work to catch up on, which wasn’t a lie. Then I tell her that I’ll probably need the whole week to catch up on it, which was a lie. Hannah accepts this explanation any way and thankfully we leave it at that.

Once I drop Hannah off, I head home. I pull into the driveway surprised to see my dad’s car outside. He’s usually never home this early. There’s also another car parked on the curb that I don’t recognize. I’m staring at the other car trying to see if I recognize it, when I enter the house, and standing in front of me is my dad’s receptionist, Brandi. Her hand is outstretched as if she was just reaching for the doorknob when I opened the door. “Oh, hi Laura.” She says. “You scared me there.” I stare at her skeptically. “Hey.” I reply. “I was just bringing your dad some files from work.” My skepticism starts to grow when I hear this. My dad was a dentist. What files did he have? Suddenly her expression changes to one of concern and she rest a hand on my shoulder. “Oh, and I’m sorry to hear about your friend.” I nod at her not wanting to say anything else. She gives my shoulder a squeeze then heads out the front door.
A minute later my dad arrives with files in his hand and his reading glasses on. “I didn’t hear you come in.” he says. “What kind of files does a dentist need?” “Just some insurance information.” He says. “Are you hungry? I can make you a sandwich.” A sandwich? Now he was definitely acting weird. “I’m fine. What are you doing here?” “I didn’t have any appointments this afternoon, so I decided to come home early. See how you were doing?” Feeling the weight of my backpack on my shoulders, I shift to adjust it. “So,” he asks. “How are you?” “Fine, I guess.” I respond. He looks a little disappointed by my answer. He takes off his glasses and I know he means business now. I should have just went upstairs when I had the chance. “Laura, I just wanted to apologize for how hard I was on you at the funeral. I said some things that I shouldn’t have, and you didn’t deserve that.” These were always the kind of talks that I hated and he loved to just spring on you at any moment. When I don’t respond he moves in to hug me. I can feel his chin resting on top of my head. “Forgive me, monkey?” There was that nickname that I hadn’t heard in years. It brought me back to a time before Jed and too tight funeral dresses. I wrap my arms around him and squeeze. “Yeah, I forgive you, Dad.”
Up in my room, I huddle on my bed with my laptop and Jed’s hoodie. Netflix streaming at high quality. I’m not even entirely sure what show I’m watching, but I let the episodes eat away my evening anyway. This used to seem more meaningful when it was Jed and I doing it. I try to force myself not to think about that. The whole point of Netflix was to escape life for a little while or what was missing from life. Around the fifth episode of what I’ve come to conclude is some kind of Norwegian police drama, someone knocks on my door. “Come in,” I say assuming that it’s one of my parents, but I’m surprised to see Tyler standing in my doorway.
He looks around my room soaking everything in. “I’ve never actually been in here before.” He says. “It’s still exactly what I expected.” “What are you doing here?” I ask. “You broke my guitar.” He says examining my bookshelf. “If you’re looking for a new one, take it up with my dad. He’s the only one willing to get you one.” He looks back over towards me then. “You were right.” He says. “I knew about Jed, of course I did.” Of course he did. He was Tyler beholder of all things Jed. “I was the first to know and for a long time I was the only one to know. And you’re upset that I didn’t tell you about it, but are you really surprised. I mean, we’re not exactly the best of friends.” He his eyes wander down to Jed’s hoodies wrapped around me. Crossing my arms, I avert my gaze from him. “What do you want, Tyler?” “I wanted to tell you that the world does not revolve around you, Laura.” When I look back over to him, his face is full of pain. I stare back trying not to reflect some of it in my own face. “Is that all then?” “Yeah.” He says. With his fist clenched he leans his arm on my door frame, staring at the floor and contemplating something. Suddenly his head snaps up and knocks my frame once. “Yeah, Laura. That’s all.” Then he leaves.

The rest of the week of school looks a lot like Monday. I spend lunch in the library folding my cranes then I get home, feign some work, and then spend the rest of the time watching mind rotting television. On Friday, I am glad for the break the weekend will bring. Time away from everyone is exactly what I need right now. Hannah decided to get a ride from Lacey after school, so I was home free as soon as the last bell rang. A few hours later, I get a call from Hannah that interrupts my weekend of antisocialism.
“Lace and I are going to the movies later.”
I hear some mumbling in the background and music. And guessing by the type, I bet she’s at Lacey’s.
“And Anna.” She continues. “You should come.”
“I don’t know, Hannah. I’m not really in the mood.”
“Laura, we haven’t seen you in, like, the past three weeks. I know you think you’d rather be alone right now, but I think it’d be good for you to get out of the house.”
“I don’t think I’d rather be alone, I know I would.”
“Come on, Laura. It would just be a girl’s night. No Tyler, no Decker.” She whispers for Anna’s benefit I’m sure. I don’t understand how she could date him. Her shy and sweet nature should have clashed with Decker’s obnoxious, abrasive one years ago. “Please. Pretty please. For me. Do it for me, Laura.”
“Fine, Hannah.”
“Yes! I knew I’d break you down.”
“What time’s the movie?”
“8:00”
“Fine. See you then.”
I hang up the phone frustrated to now have plans. It was only 6:00 now. I had two hours to think of a way out of this.

About an hour later, I come up with an excuse to get me out of going to the movies. I love Hannah, I really do, but her constant caring can sometimes be too much to handle. Just as I’m about to call Hannah, there is a knock on my door. “Who is it?” I ask weary of another incident with Tyler. “It’s me, honey.” “Come in.” I say. My mom sticks her head into the open doorway. “What are you doing?” she asks. “Nothing.” I say mindlessly scrolling through my phone. Walking over to my bed, she has this certain pep in her step and I just know that she something planned for us. “I was thinking we could have a girl’s night tonight.” Of course she did. “It could be fun.” She adds. “Get you out of this funk.” I try not to roll my eyes into the back of my head. Funk. This is why I couldn’t have conversations with my mom.

“I can’t. I’m going out with Hannah later.” “Oh,” she says. If I didn’t know her better, I would even think she looks disappointed. But I did know her better, and I knew that in five minutes she will have forgotten about the whole proposal entirely then moved on to something else. “Well, another time then.” She says patting my leg. As soon as she leaves, I fall back on my bed, covering my face with my pillow. Great. Now I actually have to leave my room.

By the time 8:00 rolls around, I decide to suck it up and meet Hannah at the movies. I get in my car, back out of the driveway, and head towards the highway. With the radio off, all I can hear is the sound of Jed’s graduation tassel hitting my visor with every turn. It was the last thing he’d ever gave me.

“You don’t want to be here, do you?” he asks suddenly. I look up at him not wanting to answer his question with a lie. “It’s okay if you don’t.” Looking down at my hands, I find the courage that I couldn’t in Jed’s eyes. “I don’t want sit here and watch you die.” We’re both silent for a minute knowing that the reality has finally caught up to both of us. Jed stirs in his bed and I look up to see what he’s doing. In the top drawer of the nightstand by his bed, he pulls out a green and white tassel from our graduation caps. “My mom ordered one,” he explains. “I’m not really sure why though.” He grabs my hand and places the tassel in it. “This isn’t the end., Laura.” I look up at him tears welling in my eyes. “I know that we’re going to see each other again. Whether it’s in heaven or as ghosts or the next zombie apocalypse.” He chuckles at his own joke. “How are you so sure of that?” I ask.

“It’s just one of those things that you know. The stars are all going to burn out one by one. The earth is going to freeze over. Life as we know it will cease to exist and a new kind of life that we can’t even fathom into existence will begin. And I know that somewhere in the midst of all that, you and I going are to meet again.”
“Will it be just as good as the first time we met?”
“No, it’ll be better.”

I pass the exit to the movie theatre choosing instead to redirect my destination. I drive for miles in the dark; past the cars on the highway, past the trees in the forests. All the way out to a white church in the middle of nowhere.

The cemetery is pretty much deserted when I arrive. Finding Jed’s grave was easy despite the dark. The pathway was burned into my mind. The dirty around his grave was still fresh. I just stand there staring at his headstone, at the rectangle of dirt in front of me. It seemed impossible that he was down there, but it wasn’t him, not really. It was just a dummy made to look like him; a corpse painted and stuffed to replicate a spirit that was no longer there. The Jed I knew was gone. There was nothing else there for me.

“We’ve got to stop meeting like this.” Says a voice from behind surprising me. Dylan stands behind me in black pea coat with his hands in his pockets.
“What are you doing here?”
“Great minds think alike.”
“I was just leaving actually.” I start past him towards my car.
“It wasn’t what you thought it would be, is it?”
I turn back towards him his face serious. “No.”
“This isn’t my first time in a graveyard, but it’s different when it’s someone you were in love with, right, and not just someone you loved.”
“Yeah, I guess.” I keep moving wanting to be as far away from here as possible. Dylan follows.
“Was this your first funeral?”
“No.”
“It’s my seventh.”
“Are you trying to set a record?”
“My brother was right. You are just a ray of sunshine.”
Once I get to my car, and notice that Dylan is still trailing behind me, I turn around to face him. “Why are doing this?”
“Doing what?”
“Asking questions. Following me to my car.”
“I like you.”
“You’re gay, so you say.” He rolls his eyes then.
“Maybe I just want to be friends.”
“Maybe I have enough friends.”
“Maybe I saw you outside of that church during my brother’s friend’s funeral, and I remembered sitting in that exact spot trying not to lose my lunch after seeing Jeremy’s body in that casket. Maybe I saw you there and you reminded me of myself. And maybe, just maybe, I wanted to be your friend, because I thought you might be as lonely and confused as I am.”
Turning my keys over in my hand, I let everything he said sink in. “Get in.” I nod towards the passenger seat of my car, because maybe, just maybe, he was right.
“Where are we headed?” he asks. “I don’t know.” I say. “Somewhere.”

We drive for miles along back roads until we get to this abandoned park. Left uncut for what looks like the better half of a year, the grass reaches just above my knees. Dylan and I make our way to an old swing set with only two functioning swings. Once we sit down, Dylan immediately starts twisting in a circle. “You were that kid.” I say. “The spinny kid.” He smiles releasing his feet, sending himself spinning in a jagged circle. “You have a problem with that?” he asks. “Well, they’re not meant for that.” I joke. “Come on, where’s your sense of adventure?” I wanted to say that Jed had it, and Jed was dead.

Dylan stops spinning and leans his head against the chain towards me. A goofy grin rests on his face. “Tell me about Jeremy.” I say. His grin disappears and is replaced with a more sincere smile—a sadder smile. “Where can I start?” he says. “How about the beginning?” “The beginning. Yeah.” He tilts his head up towards the sky with his eyes closed. “Right. Well, Jer and I have known each other our whole lives. Our parents were best friends and eventually we became best friends too.” “When did you start dating?” I ask. “Not until the summer before we went off to college. We always knew that we had feelings for each other, but neither of us ever made a move. There was a lot jealousy and dating other people and pretending we didn’t want to be more than just friends, until one day I had enough and I just went for it; right on the floor of that graduation auditorium. While everyone else was throwing their caps up, I grabbed him and kissed him right there. There was no more pretending, no more dancing around the issue, there was just us, and four hundred of our classmates.”
“Did you go to the same college?” I ask. “No. Jeremy went to a Liberal Arts college half an hour away. He wanted to be an art major.” He gives me a look suggesting how silly he thought the idea was, and then he smiles slightly to himself as if remembering some private joke. “Jeremy was always like that. Very…whimsical, I guess. He liked art, he became an art major; he liked bowling he engraved his name into a bowling ball and bought custom gloves.” He rolls eyes then. I smile at thought of anyone buying custom bowling gloves. Suddenly Dylan’s face gets twisted into this ball of sadness and anguish. “He likes texting, he drives onto an intersection and gets t-boned by a semi-truck, because he wasn’t watching the road.” He stares at the patch of grass between us, but I have a feeling that what he’s looking for isn’t down there. It’s off in a cemetery in the middle of nowhere.
I reach my hand out ready to place it on his shoulder, then stop unsure if he’d even want that. Instead I wrap my hand around the chain of my swing. “Hey.” I say. Dylan lifts his head up. His eyes surprisingly dry. “When you were kids, did you Jeremy ever play the ‘who can jump the farthest of the swings’ game?” He smiles ever so slightly, realizing where I’m going with this. “I used to out jump all the kids on the playground.” He says. “Well you never went against me.” I rock back in my seat and start pumping my legs as hard as I can. Dylan takes a beat and then follows suit. He gains more speed and height faster than I do, and jumps before I’m ready to. Watching him soar through the air, I feel myself smiling like I was eight again.
After a few more kicks, I’m ready to jump. Soaring through the air, I see Dylan’s face matching my own. I land not so gracefully next to Dylan. I chuckle checking my body over to make sure I didn’t break anything. Once I’ve gathered that I haven’t badly injured myself, I look over to see who went farthest. When I see that Dylan is slightly behind me, I gasp. “You cheated!” I exclaim. “Did not.” He defends. “If anything, you did with the way you tumbled back here.” “I did not tumble.” I say. We continue this argument for about another two minutes. The whole time with ear to ear grins on our faces.
Dylan lies back in the grass with his arms outstretched. “Face it. I won and you know It.” he says. “I want a rematch.” I demand. I lie down in the grass next to him. His hand a few inches from my face. He turns towards me then. “So, did you and—“but he’s interrupted by my phone ringing. Appearing on my screen is Hannah’s smiling face. I had completely forgotten about the plans we made. Well, that she made for us. “Hello.” I answer cautiously knowing what’s coming next.
“Oh, so your phone is working.”
“Hey, Hannah.” I say back.
“What happened to you?” she asks concerned.
“The truth?” I ask.
“Obviously,” she says.
“I just did want to go.” I hear Hannah sigh on the other line. I can see her rubbing the bridge of her nose in frustration. “We can hang out some other time, Hannah.”
“Oh no, the night is not over. We’re all at Lacey’s. Meet us there.”
“Han.”
“Laura, this isn’t just about you.”
I hear an echo of my dad in Hannah’s words. You’re not the only one who lost him. Suddenly I realize the right thing to do. “Okay, Hannah. I’ll be there.”
“Good.”

I look back over to Dylan apologetically. “Time to go.” He says. I nod. “Yeah.” We head back to my car and drive the ten minutes to the church. In the parking lot of the church, Dylan and I say our goodbyes. “Thank you.” He says. “For what?” I ask. “For taking pity on me. For taking me somewhere. For making me laugh.” “I did it for both of us.” I say. He nods understandingly, and then he realizes something. He reaches over to grab my phone, I tighten my grip slightly wondering what he’s doing. Tilting his head to the side, he gives me a look that says ‘trust me,’ and so I do. He takes a picture of himself, types in his number, and then hands my phone back. Before stepping out of the car, he runs a thumb over Jed’s tassel and smiles. “See you around.”

ZealousHeart said...
ZealousHeart, St. Joseph, Missouri

Thanks so much!  Typos always drive me crazy! Thanks for pointing it out.

on Sep. 2 2014 at 10:14 am
AutumnMoon BRONZE, Lebanon, Maine

"We see our better selves in the eyes of those who love us." -Cassandra Clare

I really liked this story so far. I feel like it was very depressing, but deat is, so it makes sense. I wasn't bored at all while I was reading this and I felt I could really relate to all of the characters. One thing that I noticed was when Laura and Hannaha were talkign on the phone, Laura says "I just did want to go" instead of saying that she didn't want to go. Other than this I think that this story can easily become something more. Great job!

judy7 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 9 2014 at 12:31 am
judy7 BRONZE, Kuwait, Other

Amelia Earhart

i agree with you love2read72

on Jun. 18 2014 at 12:11 am
Love2Read72 PLATINUM, Kentfield, California

"Life isn’t about how to survive the storm, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.” — Taylor Swift

Kind of depressing, but really good.

August17 BRONZE, Gloucester, Other

"In the game of throne, you win, or you die. There is no middle ground." -Petyr Baelish

I really enjoyed. But I agree with Winter Rose. You should not keep it depressing.  I can't wait for next chapters!

Z.V.Oksana PLATINUM, Harrison, Arkansas

“Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through you fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know.”
― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall

That first chapter was painful to read, not in a bad way, but in a way where your descriptions really made my heart hurt for the main character. WinterRose1976 said that the story was depressing and stayed that way, but I believe that's ok. That's how you wrote it and that's how you want it to be, depressing. Quite honestly, I enjoy sad stories. Your story is very well written, and I enjoy your writer's voice :) I was intruiged the whole time. In the first chapter, there were multiple people speaking in one paragraph, and it's easier to read if you start a new paragraph every time a new person starts speaking. Also, I believe in the first chapter 2nd paragraph (I think, I can't check back when I'm writing a comment), there was a few sentences that didn't seem to flow together right, but only for that one part. The rest was read smoothly. Wonderful work! 5/5

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

I liked it a lot, but I agree with Winter Rose. Great start, but instead of keeping it depressing, maybe create an uplifting moment or two at the end to show that all hope isd not lost! Kind of like Insurgent. I hated that book, despite the ending though...lol -.- Keep writing! It's very interesting and creative. ;) 

WinterRose76 SILVER, Ok., Florida

Arise and be all that you dream - Flyleaf

Okay so first off, I think your story is super absorbing and easy to follow. I enjoyed reading it and wish there were more chapters! There are a few things I don't care for - like how unlikable the main character is, the profanity, and how your story starts off as being incredibly depressing and stays that way. But that's just my opinion. I think your a terrific writer though, and have a knack for writing stories, so definitely keep at it! 4/5