Mishka | Teen Ink

Mishka

October 23, 2013
By JohnEd BRONZE, logan, Ohio
More by this author
JohnEd BRONZE, Logan, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
When the going gets tough the tough the tough gets going.


Author's note: The beginning of my life was kind of similar, My mom died and I like writing so I wrote a short story.

There I was, surrounded by forest. It is getting dark when all of a sudden I hear a twig go SNAP! , and a branch go CRACK! It was then I saw them, there was about fifty of them. At first glance they looked like coyotes, but then I saw them. There was a pack of wolves, but before I tell you what happened I have to tell you how it happened. It all began when I was seven years old. It was Halloween night and my mom died of a heart attack.The last place I saw her was when she was headed into town , also her last words were I am going into town, I will be back.Her name was Hannah Watson. She named me Mishka or in Indian "Little Bear". Me and my mom were one of the many poor people in our town. Our town's name is Sobachonok or "Dog Boy". I know it is weird to say, but you get used to it. Anyway, back to the story .

It has been one month since my mom died and I was left with little food or water. I found a couple of dollars under my mom's bed and I felt bad for taking them but I knew if she were here that is exactly what she would want me to do. I was coming home with all of my groceries when I was captured by the guards of the orphanage. I kicked and bit and screamed but they would not let me go. I was loaded into a van with other kids. I finally fell asleep but we kept hitting bumps in the road. About ten minutes later we pulled into the orphanage. At a first glance the orphanage looked kind of like a jail. They had a ten foot tall electric fence with guards and barbed wire fence at the top. It was just then I was thinking of my mom as we were getting loaded out of the van.

It was then I saw all of the kids and I noticed that none of the kids were playing or running or anything else. All they were doing was standing or sitting talking to one another. The guards all had knock out dart guns and huge towers. I was then put into a room. The room had one window but it was to high for me to reach and also had bars so the taller kids could'nt escape.

I went ahead and put on the clothes they brought me to wear since my other clothes were soaking wet. Finally I just went to sleep and I woke up because I heard my door open. A lady with food came in and set the tray on my little desk. I sat up and she asked me how I was so I just told her I was doing fine but she was'nt going to be tricked and she said thats a lie, how are you really feeling so I said I was still in the initial shock that I am even here. After that she said that her name was Kathy.

She told me she was an orphan when she was a kid. She also told me her dad died in World War Three. Finally she said her mom died giving birth to her and she was a beggar for three years after that until she finally was caught by the orphanage where she stayed until she was sixteen and after that she worked for a variety of places until she finally decided she wanted to go and help other kids who started a life like hers so she signed up to be a counselor. She said she worked 24/7 and got paid by having food water and shelter plus a job. I told her my mom died of an heart attack and I do not know what happened to my dad. After she left I felt a lot better because at least I now know someone in here. I couldn’t wait for her to come the next day. I finally fell asleep again and before I knew it it was the next day.

Today Kathy brought me a pad of paper and some crayons and told me to draw what I feel like. I ended up drawing a person in the middle of a storm and a person in the middle of the woods. I then told her the storm means I feel really sad and I also told her that the person in the woods means that I feel like I don't know what I am doing in an orphanage. she told me she knows how I feel because she felt the same exact way when she was taken into the orphanage. The next day she came in my room and told me she had quit her old job and now she is to be my counselor. She also told me her new job was to help me get rid of the emotions I drew and explained and to make feel happy and free to do stuff. we kept meeting every day for the next month. After that month was over she asked me whether or not I want to get out of the orphanage.

I just told her I don't know because I am actually starting to like it here. We decided not to do counseling for another week so I can make more friends. Anyway I only have one friend and his name is Blake O'hara. He is pretty cool, he said he has been in the orphanage for three years and he is now nine years old. He told me his mom is now a suspect of a kidnap, and his dad worked on the under ground pipeline and then worked for the Coal Orginization and died while in a huge collapse. He said five hundred workers died and one hundred workers walked out injured. I told him I was sorry for his losses and told him my saga and he said he was sorry for my losses.

In the month and two weeks I have been here there has been sixty more kids come into the orphanage. There was only one who stood out in the crowd. There was a kid that was really young and skinny. I felt really bad for him when I first saw him. I went to somebodies room today to see if he wanted to be friends but I found hom laying dead on his bed with drugs and ciggarettes beside him. He died and he was only nine years old. That was'nt the only thing that happened today, Blake and another kid got into a fight. The other kid had a broken nose but Blake had bruised ribs, a broken arm and leg, and a broken wrist. I got a black eye from the fight because I tried to stop it. After that we started up counseling again and Kathy asked me what I felt about the fight and I just told her I was mad at the other kid because he was three years older than Blake so he knew he would'nt come out with to many injuries. After our session I asked her when Blake would be coming back and she said he would be back in a week. I was all excited because I could'nt wait to see how he was doing but she said he wanted me to wait for five days after he got here so the bruises will go away and his face is'nt as swollen as it is now. I told her I don't know if I can wait that long but she said I have to so I will try my best. It has only been two days after our discussion and I keep wanting to call the hospital to see how he is doing. Kathy came in today and told me he is getting better faster than she thought he would and he will be home today. When I got my food I just ate it and went to bed. In the morning I went and asked Kathy if she was Blake's counselor or not and she said she was only his part time counselor. today one of the kids got adopted into a big family and I was jealous until I saw who it was. It was the kid that was so young and skinny. I could tell when they came into the orphanage every one wanted to be picked. They were on their best behavior and well groomed. Not even one kid had ciggarettes anywhere near them.

Chapter 4
Every one was grumpy after that saying why him it should of been me. All I said to them was why are you mad your going to be out sooner than him. One kid wanted to fight me but I said no. How ever many times I said it he would not let it drop. I just sidestepped him until the guards came. He ended up going to juvy and as I saw him walking out the door into the police car I realized it was the same kid who fought Blake. I asked the guard what the kids name was and he said Darren Hernandez. I asked him why he was going to juvy and he said that Darren had two felony charges. Blake finally came home today and I got to see him for a brief second but I could still tell the look of please on his face when Darren left to serve his time. It was getting late so I just went to bed and woke up in the morning. No sooner than I had walked out of my room till I remembered that today was the National Orphanage Fun Day.
We had games, bouncy houses, and all sorts of fun stuff. I could tell everyone was having a blast. Kathy walked over and I asked her if Blake was coming out and I said I have'nt seen him yet and she said he should be coming out soon. I just told her I could'nt wait to see him. When he came out I did not recognize him sense he seemed to have changed a lot after the fight he had a piece of tape or something on his nose he had casts on his arms and legs and had bruises on his body and he looked like he had just got out of bed and came out. He did not act like he did not recognize me at all he came right up to me and hugged me and said hey, I was wondering what you have been doing while I have been in the hospital. I just told him I was waiting on him to came home so I could say hi to him and see him after the fight. He said he was glad that Darren was'nt here for a while and I said yeah he got into one to many fights with other people. he said he was glad he was out of our hair for now. I said yeah that is a big relief because now we don’t have to worry about him anymore. After that Kathy said it was time for him to go to bed again and it was time to start my counseling, so we headed back to my room and when we got there she asked me how I felt about Blake and I just told her I felt really kind of weird because he looks so different and she said yeah she thought the same thing when she saw him.
She also asked me how I would feel about doing counseling with Blake and I told her I would love to do that because It will help me with my problems and Blakes problems and me and him will get to know each other a little more. She said that is what she was thinking to and she said that she would take it up with her boss. I said thank you so much and I really hope that you are able to do that for us and she said she did too. So after she walked out I ate my dinner and changed into my pajamas and went to sleep. The next day I woke up, put on my clothes and ate breakfast.
It was a little after ten and she came and said her boss said he would think about it and then left until after twelve to talk to her boss. She came back and said it would be a possibility but it costs to much to adopt one child let alone two. I said can’t they take it out of your pay and she said yes but it would take a month’s pay to actually have enough. I told her thanks for trying but I think it is stupid that you have to pay to adopt somebody and she said she was thinking that too. So after she left I cried until I could cry no longer. She came back around dinner and said that she would be able to take us out and let me and Blake play for a couple hours and I was so happy that I could have kissed her right then and there. So she left and I tried to go to bed but I couldn't so I just sung my lungs out.
The next day I ate breakfast and Kathy came in and said she has a boyfriend and he said he would help her out with the money to get us from the orphanage. I said that I couldn't believe it and she said she couldn't either. She left for her lunch break and when she came back she took me and Blake outside and told him about what she had just told me in the actual orphanage. Right after she had said it I could see that Blake was almost as happy as me when I had first heard it. So we asked us how long it would take and she said it will be two weeks. I could tell after she said that Blake was kind of disappointed but I just told him that he should be happy that we are able to get out of the orphanage so soon.

He said he knows but he is just so happy to be getting out that he wanted to get out soon. So we went back inside and slept for the remainder of the day and all through the night. The next morning when Kathy came in she said that her boyfriend just got a pay raise and next week we will be able to be adopted. After that I asked her what kind of a job did her boyfriend have and she just said he is in the construction business.
So we ate lunch and me and Blake went outside and played football. We got a little to crazy and had to go back inside but we did’nt mind. So after that we ate dinner and went to bed. For some reason I woke up early this morning. Kathy came in this morning and was talking about her animals and her house and all that when she got called to an emergency. After that I realized that it was just two days until she could adopt us. So I ate lunch and went outside to play with Blake, and I saw that he was sad or something so I went over to him and asked him what was he sad about, and he just said that he was really happy and he could’nt wait till we are out of here. So we went inside and ate dinner and went to bed. The next day I woke up and when Kathy came in the first thing I asked her was if I could go see Blake early in the morning and she said alright that I could go and see him if I wanted to.

So I knocked on his door and he said come in. When I went in I saw he was about to cry again and I asked him what was wrong and he said he was just really glad. So after that we went and got our lunch and went outside and played freeze tag. When we went back inside dinner was already being served and our food was cold. After that we went to sleep and the next morning we both jumped out of our beds and could’nt wait for Kathy to take us to her house. When we got there it was bigger than we thought. Kathy said she finally got our papers and we were going to live here with her and her boyfriend. Me and Blake were so happy we had to put our hands in our lap just so we would’nt shake too badly. In the end me and Blake grew up there and Kathy ended up marrying James who was her boyfriend.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


JohnEd BRONZE said...
on Nov. 13 2013 at 10:33 am
JohnEd BRONZE, Logan, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
When the going gets tough the tough the tough gets going.

nice