Routine | Teen Ink

Routine

February 15, 2023
By Nicole06, Ontario, Ontario
More by this author
Nicole06, Ontario, Ontario
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He whined. He barked. He huffed. He stares at the leash with excitement, his tail wagging, wondering if his mom or dad would wrap it around his big body and take him on the best adventure that day. His leash sat on a table by the door, since it was part of his routine to go on a walk every day. The cat beside him gave him an annoyed look, not understanding why he would go outside optionally when he could lay in his nice, warm bed all day. They never understood each other, but one thing they liked was routine. He liked sleeping, and Charlie liked walks. It was simple.

His dad took him, petting him as a greeting. Asked the dog’s mom if she wanted to come. She smiled and kissed him as a way to say yes, scratching Charlie’s ears. They walked, holding hands, laughing at Charlie as he barked at a squirrel. His mom kissed his head when she accidentally stepped on his tail and rubbed his ears the way he liked as an apology.

But throughout the walk, the friendliness faded, and it got quiet. Not a comfortable silence, one filled with tension and anger, and when Charlie stopped panting, it was eerily quiet. Only footsteps and the light wind were heard.

The cat greeted them when they got home, as usual. He could pretend he hated Charlie, but he always made sure he got home safe. It was an unspoken rule, an unspoken love between them that they were both okay with.

Charlie watched as his dad made his mom some coffee. He always did that after their walks, considering they walked in the morning and she needed energy for work. She took it and kissed his cheek, her eyes on her Kobo. She read while she drank her cofee, then started to work. Her fingers twiddled with the wedding ring on her finger.

Charlie went to sleep that night and dreamed of walking with his mom and dad. When he woke up to the sound of his dad walking around, he realized it would come true, and immediately got up. He barked once at the leash and his dad sighed, attaching his leash to his collar. He walked down the hallway, and Charlie galloped happily behind him. He was bringing mom, and Charlie loved that. Although he would never say it, even though his dad took him on more walks, he always adored mom just a little bit more. She was gentle and caring.

She sends a tight-lipped smile and shakes her head as an apology. His dad sighed, and he didn’t understand why. Sure, it was horrible that mom wasn’t coming, but she had work. Dad didn’t; of course, he would take him on more walks. Which was fine, since when they walked together it was faster and for longer. Mom worked from home, and recently dad had stopped leaving in the morning.

They walked. He barked with excitement when he saw a squirrel but dad didn’t chuckle like he usually did. When they made it back home, his friend greeted him, then went back to sleep. He ran to mom, but she shushed him, mentioning something about a voice call and ushering him out. “It’s okay Charlie,” Said dad, “She’s just busy,” He looked back to see her staring at the wedding ring on her finger. He couldn't make out her expression. She was emotionless.

He made her coffee, and Charlie followed, watching as he placed the coffee on her desk. She kissed his cheek, barely glancing at him as she read, and he pursed his lips. His shoulders were hunched, and he sighed but walked away like everything was okay. And everything is okay-mom’s just having a bad day at work. Charlie knew that that happened sometimes, and then the next day it was all better.

The next day he woke up earlier than usual. People. He heard people, which was unusual since mom and dad usually slept in on Saturdays. He yawned and stretched, going towards the commotion, wagging his tail when he saw mom and dad. He didn’t see the angry expressions or their pointing fingers, he saw what he was used to seeing. Love in their eyes, small smiles on their faces as they watched each other. The way Mom looked up to him because he was taller, and how he teased her for it. She would get angry and then kiss him.

The dog ran to them but tilted his head with confusion when they didn’t immediately bend down to pet him as they usually did. They continued standing like Charlie was nothing but a piece of furniture. But he was content waiting for the kiss to happen. The cat appeared, spared a glance, and went towards the kitchen for breakfast. His food was always left, which Charlie didn’t understand. He would eat all that food in seconds.

Mom and dad walked angrily into the kitchen, and Charlie yelped when Mom stepped on his tail. He expected her to beg for forgiveness with pets and cuddles like she usually did, but the irritated look on her face doubled and he got even more confused.

Charlie whined and walked towards his leash. Maybe that would make it better. He barked and his tail fell when his mom yelled at him.

They didn’t go on a walk that day. Which meant dad forgot to make mom coffee. But that’s okay- this had happened before. It would happen again, but Charlie knew it would be better. They also got better- the routine got stronger.

The next day, he woke up later than usual, which was odd. Dad usually woke him up if Charlie had slept in. He walked past boxes of stuff that weren't there before. He walked to find his mom packing a suitcase. She sighed when she saw Charlie.

“I’ll miss you,” She frowned and Charlie tilted his head.

“I’m sorry, but I can't deal with you right now. It’s easier for me to take Max,” She petted the cat beside her and Charlie was even more confused. Take Max where?

“You shouldn’t keep them apart,” Dad looked anguished as he said the next sentence, “You don’t have to leave,” He appeared behind Charlie and walked towards her, placing her coffee on her side table. She didn’t even look at it.

“They don't even like each other, it’s fine,” She muttered, shoving everything in her bag faster. Charlie whined. She hadn’t kissed his cheek like she always did. His routine was breaking in front of him. He barked, trying to tell them they were ruining everything. He needed his routine, he needed Max.

He needed his mom.

She closed the suitcase and dragged it down the hallway, Max in her hand as she told Charlie to get out of the way. Dad followed after her, his face grim, and Charlie trotted along. She stepped over the boxes, yelling over her shoulder, “Dan and I will come over to row to get the rest of my stuff,”

Dad scoffed, “Dan, of course,” He muttered to himself, “Please, stay. We can go to marriage counselling and-“

“Stop,” Her voice was harsh, “Stop. If you really love, truly love me, you’ll let me be happy,”

“But don’t I make you happy?” His voice broke, his eyes covered in pain and tears and hope and desperation. Charlie looked at his mom. He saw the tears, but nothing else except determination. She sat Max down to put her shoes on and Charlie walked toward Max quickly and licked him. Max slapped him with his paw, but he could see in Max’s eyes that he would miss Charlie as well. He just wasn’t sentimental.

“Not anymore,” She took off her wedding ring, placing it on the table by the door. She yanked Max off the ground and Charlie whimpered. She opened the door saying a quiet, “I’m sorry,” Before walking out, the door closing behind her.

He barked at the table, but not because he wanted to go on a walk. Because he wanted her to put her wedding ring back on. He wanted the routine again. He wanted to see Max.

Because he wanted his mom back.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.