1 Act Play | Teen Ink

1 Act Play

The Plan

Stage directions: there are six desks, each with an assortment of books and papers on it. On a table on the corner table, there is a radio, through which the characters get the information about the ship blowing up. Out a window, we can see that it is dusk in an abandoned parking lot. In the distance, there are gates, with the Unites States’ flag flying high. There are only two people in the room. A petite woman (Josie) is on one side of the room and a beefy man (Henry) is on the other. If possible, Henry will have a southern accent and Josie will have an overexagerated American accent, indicating that she is not from here.. This is during WWII. The people in the room are in charge of the United States’ communication with their ocean liners.

(Josie is sitting with her glasses pushed onto her head, suit jacket on the back of the chair, wearing dress shirt and skirt, Pouring over papers on her desk, looking stressed. With the papers, there is a machine. Henry is to Josie’s left, also pouring over papers and looking stressed. His coat is also on the back of his chair. His sleeves are rolled up and his tie is loosened. His hair is a mess)

The radio:

“It is my regret to inform you that the USS Strong was sunk by a German U-boat off the coast of Germany today. All of the crew survived and were rescued by a British ship. However, this was over 100,000 tons of American weapons that went up in flames - literally - today.”

(Josie looks up, looking happy, but quickly covers by burying her head in her hands)

Henry:

(slams his fist on the table) Josie! I thought you said it would be fine!

Josie: 

(looks up) We need to figure out how to stop all of our other boats on that same route, or they will get blown up too.

Henry:

Shoot, you’re right (rifles through the papers on his desk with urgency) How can we contact them?

Josie:

We can contact them via radio, but that could give away their position.

Henry:

That’s a chance we’re going to have to take. It’s either give away their location and risk attack than to let it get into German range and get sunk.

Josie:

Okay (types onto the machine on her desk) . . . It’s not . . . It’s not working!

Henry:

What? 

Josie:

I don’t know. It just isn’t working!

Henry:

Well, you’re the one who’s supposed to be smart! (urgently) figure it out!

Josie:

I’m trying! (frantically hits buttons)

(Henry begins pacing around the stage, looking very stressed)

Josie:

(looking relieved) I got it! (A sheet of paper gets printed off of the machine on Josie’s desk. Josie Looks worried again) Oh no . . . They’ve already driven into the danger zone. They haven’t gotten hit yet, but turning around and coming back could bring more attention to the ship and get them torpedoed. (Looks up at Henry, who has stopped pacing a couple feet away from Josie. Both look horrified.)

Henry:

(Clears throat) Well . . . We’ll have to find out a way to get them out of there then, shouldn’t we?

Josie:

Yeah (closes her eyes for a couple of seconds, then opens them) Yeah

Henry:

How?

Josie:

First, we’ll have to cut the engines. We will not leave a trail for the Germans to follow. While we’re still coasting, we will make a u-turn. By the time the boat has come to a complete stop, we need to be facing in the direction we came from. We will then proceed out of German range with as little power as possible.

Henry:

Okay. I’ll relay the message. (walks over to Josie’s desk, grabs the machine, drops it heavily on his own desk, then starts typing) . . . When will we know if they got our message?

Josie:

They should respond right after they’ve turned around . . . (the machine starts making noise) Ah yes, here we go, they’ve responded. It reads, “roger that. We performed the maneuver you had described, and are now facing West.” (Josie and Henry exchange a relieved glance, then Josie turns back to the paper). “Unfortunately, our tight turn must have harmed our engines. We have been unable to start our engines again and require directions on how to get our engines working again.” (Josie and Henry glance at each other again, this time looking horrified).

Henry:

How are we supposed to tell them how to fix it if we don’t know what the problem is?

Josie:

We are who the United States chose to be in charge of communication. We need to figure out what happened.

Henry:

Right . . . but how?

Josie:

We will ask them a series of questions, then narrow down the possible malfunctions as quickly as possible. First off, I’m asking if there seems to be any response at all when they try to start the engine. Will you go find an engineer?

Henry:

Yes, good idea. (walks purposefully to stage left and off the stage).

Josie:

(Looks around suspiciously, then removes a walkie talkie previously hidden from view from the audience. Josie walks to stage right and begins speaking into the walkie talkie). This is Josiphene. We have successfully distracted the American communications with their ship. 

Radio:

(static) The Russians have also been successfully distracted. Over.

Radio, voice with a German accent: 

Roger that. It is now safe to initiate the bombing of London. With the American and Russian communications distracted, we should now be safe from any allied retaliation.

(Josie looks pleased, then returns to her seat, and replaces the radio out of sight. She then begins typing on the machine).

(Enter Henry with the engineer, Jerry. Jerry should be dressed in a suit and tie with thick glasses.)

Josie:

(Brightly) Hi! How are you, Jerry?

Jerry:

No time for pleasantries. We have to solve this as quickly as possible.

Josie:

(Laughs uncomfortably) I couldn’t agree more! Let’s get down to business. We have an engine that died and we need to tell the crew how to fix it, from here, before the Germans torpedo our ship. I was just about to ask the crew what their experience was when the engine broke down. Hopefully, there will be some clues there. (types on the machine)

Jerry:

Good. I’m going to the workroom to find a mini model of the engines on this ship. I should be able to fix the problem better if I have a model of my own to look at. (exits to stage left)

Henry:

(looks at the papers) Josie? Why-

Josie:

(grabs papers out of Henry’s hand, who turns his stare from the papers to Josie) I can take those!

Henry:

Why doesn’t your communication with our ship mention anything about torpedoes or danger?

Josie:

Oh, don’t be ridiculous. Those were from yesterday. 

Henry:

They had today’s date on them . . .

Josie:

Aw, come on Henry. You must have misread the date.

Henry:

Then let me see the papers again.

Josie:

(scratches her head) I’m afraid this is classified. I am not free to disclose the information that they contain.

Henry:

(attempts to grab the papers, but Josie moves them away) we work together! We are both supposed to have access to what is sent to us . . . Give it here Josie. Why don’t you want me to see it? Josie! (makes a wild grab at the papers, but Josie ducks beside the table where her walkie talkie was) Josie, come on! 

Josie:

(still behind table, now sounds desperate) Henry, stop thinking about my conversations with our ships, okay?

Henry:

Why? What’s going on?

Josie:

Just . . . Don’t worry about it, okay?

Henry:

Fine, but what’s going on? . . . Josie? What do you have behind there?

Henry: 

(walks behind the desk) Josie, why do you have a walkie talkie? What is going on?

Josie:

Henry, you need to back away.

Henry:

Josie! What on Earth? 

Josie:

I’m going to give you until the count of three.

Henry:

Josie?

Josie:

1 . . . 2

Henry:

Whatever you’re planning, I’m not going to let you do it.

Josie:

3. (steps forward and punches Henry in the head. He collapses.) I told you to leave me alone.

Jerry:

(Jerry walks back in, carrying a model motor) Okay (looks at Henry collapsed on the floor) . . . Henry?

Josie:

Oh no! He must have passed out! Would you take him to the doctor for me?

Jerry:

Shouldn’t I figure out how to fix the motor?

Josie:

(waves her arms) Oh, no. I got it.

Jerry:

(looks uncertain) . . . Okay. (grabs Henry under the arms and pulls him to stage left, but stays within view of the audience and watches Josie)

Josie:

(pulls out her walkie talkie) This is Josephine. The Americans are still focused on the supposed problem with their ship. Over.

(as the walkie talkie responds to Josie, Jerry slowly begins to creep up behind Josie)

Radio:

Good. Ensure that they remain sufficiently preoccupied. Over.

(Jerry has now snuck up behind Josie.)

Jerry:

(grabs Josie’s arms and pins them behind her back) Listen to me very carefully. I have a knife that will help if you need any convincing to follow my demands perfectly. You will inform the Germans that your little plot is off. You will then tell me who you are and why you chose to harm the United States. The police are on their way, so don’t even try to escape.

Josie:

No. (Attempts to break free, but Jerry is too strong.) Fine. I am an undercover agent for Nazi Germany. I came here to distract you guys so that the Nazis can bomb England withouth any Allied retaliation.

Jerry:

Good. Now inform your German friends that the plan is off.

Josie:

(grabs her walkie talkie) Josephine here. Discontinue the mission. The Americans have figured out our plot and it will be too dangerous to attempt the bombing Over.

(Sirens)

Jerry:

Looks like that’s your ride, Josie (shoves her off the stage from stage right)

Henry:

(wanders on stage) what’s going on? (stumbles)

Jerry:

(Walks over to Henry, and helps him off the stage) Don’t worry about it. The Nazis had planned an air raid on England, but it’s all taken care of. (They exit to stage right).